This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
MASTERS SWIM ETS / TRI CLUB 2010 Winter Programs
Part of growing up is taking good care of yourself so you can enjoy a long and healthy life.
building is no different. Right now, a major focus for Talisman Centre is renewing the facility so that we can continue to play a vital and vibrant role in sport and wellness in Calgary. But just because one of Calgary’s most iconic structures is getting a facelift in 2010, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy Calgary’s best facility without interruption! During our 2010 facility enhancement project, which begins with the closure of the aquatics side of the building on January 1st, you’ll still have access to: • Two 25 metre pools • Expansive cardio and weight training in our Fitness Centre • Two gymnasiums • Group Fitness classes • A 20-person hot tub • Nutrition Services • Personal Training • Aquatics Personal Training • Endurance Training Systems (ETS) • Talisman Centre’s Triathlon Club • Youth Summer Sport Camps While you’re enjoying the facility next year, you’ll be getting a new roof, along with other improvements that will ensure Talisman Centre remains Calgary’s biggest and best sport and wellness facility. Check us out online at MoreThanAGym.com, and to learn more about our roof replacement and facility enhancement project, visit www.talismancentre.com/2010.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday to Friday Saturday Sunday Holidays 5:00 am to 11:00 pm 6:00 am to 10:00 pm 7:00 am to 10:00 pm 7:00 am to 10:00 pm
Swim Lanes (effective Jan. 1, 2010) A minimum of 2 swim lanes will be open for public use during the following times: Monday 5:00 am to 2 pm & 8 pm to 11 pm Tuesday 5:00 am to 11 pm Wednesday 5:00 am to 2 pm & 8 pm to 11 pm Thursday 5:00 am to 11 pm Friday 5:00 am to 2 pm & 8 pm to 11 pm Saturday 11:30 am to 10 pm Sunday 7:00 am to 10 pm Gymnasiums (effective Feb. 28, 2010) Monday to Thursday 1 pm to 4:30 pm Friday 1 pm to 6 pm Saturday 6 am to 11 am Sunday 7 pm to 10 pm
PLEASE NoTE: BEGINNING MARCH 1, 2010 THERE wILL BE NO dROP-IN AdMISSIONS AvAILABLE AFTER 3PM ANd NO LATE RATE dROP-IN AdMISSIONS wILL BE AvAILABLE. MEMBERS ONLy FROM 3PM TO CLOSE dAILy!
Contacts for Talisman Centre’s 2010 Facility Enhancement Project: • The Roof Replacement Project – Call 311 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org • Talisman Centre Customer/ Operations Inquiries – 403-233-8393 • Media inquiries on the roof replacement Dennis Urquhart, Communications, Community Services and Protective Services, The City of Calgary – 403-268-2912 • Media inquiries on Talisman Centre Operations Robin Mitchell, President and Chief Operating Officer, Talisman Centre – 403-233-8393
2 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
CUSTOMER ACCESS POINTS
AquAticS AcceSS (Beginning Jan 1): South Entrance via Foundation Lounge with staircase to pool deck. wheelchair Access via pool deck level. DrylAnD AcceSS (Beginning Mar 1): via door next to Profile Room
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Frequently Asked Questions Customer FAQs 4 Booking FAQs 5 Membership FAQs 6 Executive Membership FAQs 8 Childcare FAQs 11 Group Fitness FAQs 14 Nutrition Services FAQs 16 Volunteer FAQs 16 Referral Partners 9-10 Maps / Floorplans 12-13 Nutrition Services 17 Fitness Zone 17 Personal Training 18 ETS 20 Tri Club 22
Inside Back Cover: Tri Swim • Masters Swimming Aquatics Personal Training (formerly Aquatics Private lessons)
Executive Lockers closed Jan. 31, 2010 General Locker Rooms closed Feb. 28 2010 Temporary Locker Rooms will be available for public use. DrylAnD: Executive Locker Rooms will be converted to Public Locker Rooms AquAticS: On deck showers in the aquatics complex with dry change rooms in the Foundation Lounge
PROGRAMS & SERvICES What’s available in 2010
• Group Fitness Please note: All classes have maximum
numbers. you must pick up a class card from Dryland customer Service no earlier than 15 minutes before class start time.
• Endurance Training Systems (ETS) • Talisman Centre Tri Club / Tri Swim • Personal Training • Aquatic Personal Training • Masters Swimming • Nutrition • Youth Summer Sport Camps • Public Swim and Gymnasium Times • Drop-in Court Sports Programs and Services may be subject to change. Please check our website regularly for the latest information: www.talismancentre.com/2010
2225 Macleod Trail South Calgary AB T2G 5B6 P: 403-233-8393 F: 403-262-1001
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 3
1. Give me the basics - what do I need to know? 1) We are anticipating that the Facility Enhancement Project will take from January 1st, 2010 until December 31, 2010. 2) The aquatic side of Talisman Centre will close December 31st, 2009. The dryland side will close on February 28, 2010. 2) The two annex buildings adjacent to Talisman Centre will continue to operate and your membership will remain valid during this time. Beginning March 1st, there will be no public drop-in after 3:00 pm and there will be no late rate admissions. Members only from 3 pm to closing! 3) Due to the construction and closure, the size of our facility (and also our parking lot) will be substantially reduced, and we will be unable to offer certain programs and services. 2. What Programs and Services will be running in 2010? During 2010 a limited number of programs and services will be offered that can be best accommodated in the space remaining open. Check online at www.talismancentre.com for class times and locations. This list is subject to change depending on final space allocation details: • ETS • Triathlon • Personal Training • Aquatic Personal Training • Masters Swimming • Group Exercise (reduced Dryland & Aquatic Group Exercise offering) • Schools Groups (if space available for rent) • Summer Daycamps (if space and resources are feasible) • Nutrition Services (available on a contract basis) • Public Swim and Gymnasium Times • Drop-in Court Sports 3. What programs and services will be ending in preparation for construction? The following programs and services will be ending for a period of time in preparation for construction and the reduction of space: Ended June 2009 • Preschool for Active Living • Campus Calgary • School Swim Lessons Ending December 2009 Registered programs including: • Badminton • Kids Triathlon • Kickboxing • Gymnastics • Volleyball • Pre and Post Natal Gym and Aquatic • Shallow Water Aquatic Group Fitness • Pilates and Training in Motion • School/Dryland Lessons Ending January 31, 2010 • Executive Locker Rooms • Café Santé Ending February 15, 2010 • Childcare 4. Will the Partner Exchange Program be in effect during 2010? Unfortunately, we are unable to offer Partner Exchange in 2010. 5. What other sport facilities can Talisman Centre refer me to in 2010? Our 2010 Referral Partners are: For Executive Memberships: • Bow Valley Club • Bankers Hall Club • Fitness on 5th For General Memberships and Programs not offered in 2010: • Cardel Place • Southland Leisure Centre • Village Square Leisure Centre • Fitness on 5th
4 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
6. How many parking spots will there be? Due to the large laydown for the construction trailers, cranes and other equipment, Talisman Centre’s parking lot will be reduced to between 170 and 200 parking stalls onsite. We are across Macleod Trail from the Erlton C-Train station, and the #10 bus stops near the entrance to our parking lot. The #3 bus stops on 4th street, which is a short walk from Talisman Centre through Lindsay Park. 7. What spaces will be available in the annex buildings during 2010? Aquatics - Calgary Foundation Aquaplex Temporary entrance; Customer Service Desk; 50m pool – (will be allocated as 2 x 25m pools); 20 person hot tub; access to the pool deck (wheelchair access to the pool deck will be via an alternate accessible entrance); Foundation Lounge area (converted to locker rooms and the new Customer Service Desk). Dryland - Dr. Neville Lindsay Sport Wellness Building Temporary entrance with vestibule; Customer Service Desk; Fitness Centre; gyms 4 and 5; locker rooms; LifeMark Health and The Cardiac Wellness Institute will continue to operate. 8. Where will the showers and change rooms be located? There will be change rooms and showers during 2010, on both the Aquatic and Dryland sides of Talisman Centre, although there will not be an Executive Locker Room during this time. On the dryland side, locker rooms and showers will be located where the executive locker room is currently located. On the aquatic side, the locker rooms will be where the Foundation Lounge currently is, and showers will be built on the pool deck.
1. Can I still book meeting rooms? The Riverview Room, Parkview Room, Learning Room and Sears Nutrition Kitchen are available until January 31st, 2010. The Sears Nutrition Kitchen will also be available until February 28th, 2010. All meeting rooms will be closed from March 1st – Dec 31st, 2010. 2. Can I still book a gym court? We are currently finalizing our plan for available times for public badminton and basketball during 2010. Check our website for the latest information. 3. Will a running track be available? No, neither the 4 lane or 2 lane running tracks will be accessible during the closure.
Private FasTrak is for one or two individuals and small groups (3-5) who wish to improve their swimming technique using state of the art video feedback and expert coaching. Each session is 1.5-2 hours. For more information or to book an appointment: Ken Olson 430-229-1022 email@example.com
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 5
Just because you’re an adult doesn’t mean you can’t play!
Our competitive prices and our world-class facility make our adult memberships one sweet deal. With our wide range of drop-in group fitness classes included with your membership, the deal gets even sweeter. Whether you’re a highperformance athletic machine, or an “everyday athlete” looking for the best environment to reach your goals, Talisman Centre is the place for you!
Couples and Families
A family that plays together stays together!
And if they play at Talisman Centre, they also keep healthy and develop a lifelong love of sport and fitness together! Come swim in our pool (or play on our giant inflatable water park!), play some sports in the gym, or have a race around the track. (Or, leave the kids at home and turn your partner into your workout partner!) Get closer to reaching your fitness goals and get closer to each other with the Couples and Families Membership at Talisman Centre!
you may not be a kid anymore, but you may just feel like one at talisman centre!
You know that a healthy lifestyle is more important than ever and Talisman Centre has everything you’ll need to keep fit and have fun doing it. Join one of our many drop-in group classes, or work at your own pace in our fitness centre. Try your hand at yoga, or take a spin on one of our stationary bikes. Discover what you can do at Talisman Centre.
Post-Secondary (25 and under)
living the life of a student can be pretty tough.
Late night cramming sessions, the stress of exams, the often less-than-nutritious diet – Balance that equation with a membership at Talisman Centre! Feel your stress melt away with every lap around the pool, or every basket sunk from the 3-point line. Whatever you do to relax and keep healthy, you can do it at Talisman Centre.
you’re young and carefree – well, almost carefree.
You care about playing sports, having fun, and keeping yourself healthy. Whether you like basketball, swimming, diving, badminton, dancing, volleyball, kickboxing – or just about anything else you can think of – if you want to hang out and do what you love, you won’t find a better place than Talisman Centre!
Ask us if your employer is part of our great annual monthly rates for company memberships! Bronze Pricing Silver Pricing Gold Pricing Platinum Pricing 5-14 Employees 15-54 Employees 55-79 Employees 80+ Employees Adult $57 Adult $55 Adult $53 Adult $48 Family $95 Family $90 Family $85 Family $75
6 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
Membership Options & FAQs
Continuous Plan* Annual Prepaid
GST included. Based on 2009 prices. Subject to change. Cash, Debit, Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted.
$699.00 $459.00 $549.00 $449.00 $159.00 $129.00
$649.00 $1,099.00 n/a n/a n/a n/a
Single Month & $109.00 $69.00 10-Card Passes Drop-In** $12.50
$99.00 $59.00 $39.00 $29.00 $119.00 $229.00 $10.50 $7.50 $5.00 $3.50 $13.50 $25.00
**Beginning MARCH 1, 2010 there will be NO dROP-IN AdMISSIONS AvAILABLE AFTER 3PM and NO LATE RATE dROP-IN AdMISSIONS wILL BE AvAILABLE. Members only from 3pm to close daily!
1. What will happen to my annual or continuous membership during the renovations? a) Continue to use the facility! The two annex buildings of Talisman Centre will be open, and your membership will still be valid through 2010. We’d love to have you! b) Alternatively, members who wish to do so may suspend their membership (and payments), and then re-activate the membership when Talisman Centre’s main building re-opens in 2011. With this option, the 2009 rates will be “locked-in” for the duration of 2011. Come to the Customer Service Desk to fill out a membership suspension form. c) You can cancel your membership for a pro-rated refund. 2. What is the difference between canceling my membership and suspending my membership? If you choose to cancel your membership you will not be eligible for the 2009 prices when we relaunch in 2011. If you choose to suspend your membership you are doing so with the intent to come back when we re-launch in 2011. By choosing the suspension option you are also locking in to the 2009 prices for the remainder of 2011. 3. If I choose to suspend my membership, what is the process to reactivate it? In late 2010 we will contact you to let you know when you are eligible to re-activate your membership. You will have two months after we reopen in which to notify us if you want your membership reactivated. 4. What if I don’t get back to you within that two month period? If you don’t notify us when you want to reactivate your membership before the two-month time period is up, you will no longer be eligible for the 2009 prices. 5. How long will I receive the 2009 prices? 2009 prices will only be available until the end of 2011. Any price increases will be effective January 1st, 2012. 6. What if I have a 1-month membership, 4-month membership, or 10-card pass? The 4 month membership option will only be available for sale until December 31st, 2009. If you have a current 4-month prepaid membership and wish to cancel at the time of renovations you may do so and receive a pro-rated refund. Single month membership and 10-Card pass holders will be able to use their passes in the facility during renovations.
For hours of operation, swim lanes and gym availability see inside front cover. For program availability and non-availability in 2010 see page 4.
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 7
Executive Membership FAQs
1. I would like to continue to use the facility during renovation. What locker rooms are available during this time? As of March 1st, the executive locker rooms will become part of our public locker rooms for 2010. All executive members can access available temporary drop-in public lockers during facility enhancement for as long as their membership is valid (See maps pages 12-13 for temporary locker room location). 2. I am a current executive member. Will my spot be guaranteed when you reopen? If you put your membership on hold or use your membership during facility enhancement, you will have the first right of refusal for a spot in our executive locker rooms when we reopen. 3. How does the first right of refusal work? We will have a list of all the executive members who have either put their membership on hold or are using their membership. During the late fall in 2010 we will contact these individuals and inform them when the executive memberships will be re-activated and offer them a spot. 4. If I don’t make a decision when you contact me how long will my spot be held? You will have up until April 1st, 2011 to contact us about whether or not you want to reactivate your executive membership. If we don’t hear from you by this time you will forfeit your spot to the next member on the list. 5. If I decide to cancel my membership will I have to go on the waitlist with everyone else? Yes, you will be put on the waitlist. 6. What if my executive membership expires before January 31st, 2010? To put your executive membership on hold during facility enhancement it must be active as of January 31st, 2010. To access public facilities during facility enhancement, you must present a valid executive membership card. 7. I’m currently an executive member who has paid for the executive locker room longer than it is open for. Will I get my money back? Within the next few months we will be going through all of our executive memberships and issuing refunds for those members who have paid for their executive membership beyond the locker room closure date of January 31st, 2010. 8. I understand Talisman Centre has negotiated referral agreements within partner facilities that will accept me as an executive member during renovation. What are the costs and where can I find more information about this option? The three facilities we have agreements with are the Bow Valley Club, Bankers Hall Club, and Fitness on 5th. For details and contact info see advertisments next page.
8 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
Recognized for our outstanding hospitality, well appointed equipment, abundant amenities and distinctive decor, Bankers Hall Club is one of Canada’s finest adult health and fitness facilities. With 40,000 square feet of space, we offer premier quality equipment, 25 meter salt water swimming pool, massage service, extensive squash program, personal training, dietary professionals and superb member service; we are uniquely able to exceed the expectations of our membership. We offer a comprehensive group exercise program with some of the finest instructors in the city. All our prime time memberships include all core classes including yoga and pilates. We welcome the opportunity to introduce you to our hospitality and invite you to join our unique club community. We are pleased to extend to you: • Free tote and laundry service for the first year; a $276 value. • A variety of membership options starting at $84/month. For more information contact: Teri Lang Manager of Marketing & Sales Special events coordinator Bankers Hall Club 402, 315 - 8 Avenue S.W. Calgary AB T2P 4K1 Phone: 403-298-4770 firstname.lastname@example.org www.bankershallclub.com
The Bow Valley Club is downtown Calgary’s premier full service business club. We offer a Private non-co-ed fitness environment, full service dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a variety of wellness services such as a Naturopath Doctor, Registered Massage Therapists, a Holistic Therapist and Certified Personal Trainers. The Bow Valley Club has a total of 6 squash courts (including a doubles court), a beautifully appointed studio, and state-of-the-art equipment in the men’s and women’s clubs. There are a variety of weekly fitness classes (some co-ed) that are included with membership as well as many different programs aimed at assisting you at reaching your fitness goals. We look forward to providing you with an alternative during the exciting renovation at the Talisman Centre. The Bow Valley Club will provide: • Club rates from $115 per month (includes complimentary Dining Membership) • Complimentary Day use lockers • Full service locker rooms, towel service and amenities • Steam Room • Whirlpool (men’s club) • Complimentary parking before 8:30am & after 4:30pm Mon– Fri; 8am – 5pm Sat & Sun For more information contact: Melanie Mock Sales & Marketing Manager The Bow Valley Club Direct 403-705-5076 email@example.com www.bowvalleyclub.com
The YWCA Fitness on Fifth Health Club offers everything you need before and after your workout. The whirlpool and steam room provide relaxation. The extensive range of amenities brings convenience. Complimentary towel service, filtered water, shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, hair styling accessories and hair products are available. A private telephone, ironing board, tote basket and lock are also included. Executive Members: Our Health Club rate is $790 and there is a $50 building fee for a total of $840. We are offering Talisman Centre Executive Members the same rate as our renewing members of $715 and we will waive the building fee, saving $125 on your membership.
We have special offers
for Talisman Centre General Members as well! Call for details. For more information contact: doug Smith Wellness Supervisor l yWcA Fitness on 5th YWCA of Calgary 320-5 Ave SE Calgary AB T2G OE5 Phone: 403-294-7333 firstname.lastname@example.org www.fitnesson5th.com
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 9
introducing Our 2010 General Membership Referral Partners
Consider these facilities as options for General Memberships and Programs not offered in 2010
COME OUT ANd PLAy Cardel Place is the place to be! A place where one’s social, emotional, spiritual, mental and physical needs can be met under one roof. Whether you’re laughing in the pool, reaching new heights on the climbing wall or energizing your mind and body in the fitness centre there’s a little something for everyone including a public library, sports medicine clinic, café, aquatics centre, climbing wall, two NHL sized arenas, a fitness centre and three gymnasiums. We offer flexible pass options to suit your lifestyle as well as a wide variety of structured and unstructured health and wellness opportunities for individuals and families to meet, grow, laugh, explore and more! A BIGGER, BETTER FITNESS CENTRE This year, we’re turning five. Since opening in 2004 we’ve seen over 5 million visits. We couldn’t have done it without our friends and neighbours, so to celebrate; were giving the community a gift that keeps on giving—an expanded fitness centre. Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll find in November 2009: • Increased capacity. • Better spaces for youth, amateur sport groups and those new to fitness. • Innovative technology for those looking to add a little inspiration to their workouts. • Designated areas for circuit training. Whether you’re looking for personal training, amateur sports training, drop-in fitness (or something completely different) our experts are here to help you set your goals, get you on tract and keep you going! Excited? So are we! Find out all the nitty gritty on Cardel Place’s amenities, services and programs at www.cardelplace.com or call us at 403-532-1013.
website: www.calgary.ca/leisurecentres Check out the virtual tours of our waterparks! The City of Calgary’s two newly renovated leisure centres, Southland and Village Square, offer the city’s largest, world-class and award-winning water parks. Both feature wave pools with zero depth entry, Aqua Play structures with slides and dump buckets, a dive tank, water slides, kiddies pool, hot tub, steam room as well as swim lessons and aqua fitness programs. Other amenities include drop-in fitness classes, weightroom and wellness and fitness studios, twin arenas, with seasonal public skating and shinny hockey, a dry sports area which includes multiuse rooms, a gymnasium, a babysitting room, a pre-school children’s play rooms and birthday party spaces. Southland Leisure Centre also has a rock climbing area, gymnastics gym, racquet and squash courts. Village Square and Southland both offer a wide variety of registered and drop-in programs, individual and team training and day camps. Looking for an active and fun way to spend a day? Safe, affordable, accessible and oodles of fun, the City of Calgary leisure centres have something for everyone.
10 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
1. When will Childcare be ending? We will be unable to offer Childcare Services at Talisman Centre after February 15th, 2010. We are anticipating that the Facility Enhancement Project will take from January 1st, 2010 until December 31, 2010. 2. Will Childcare start back up after the enhancement project? Yes, our intention is to resume Childcare services in the first quarter of 2011. 3. Where can my children go when I work out? We are happy to direct parents to Childcare services in the area, but Talisman Centre is unable to offer Childcare in 2010. A partial list of Childcare options in the area will be provided upon request. 4. Will there be any daytime children’s classes running in conjunction with Group Fitness so I can still work out and have my child looked after? No, there will not be any children’s classes running in 2010 other than Summer Sport Camps. 5. Can’t you move Childcare and run it in another location? We thoroughly evaluated all possible options and scenarios that would allow Childcare to continue through construction. Unfortunately, there are no safe and cost-effective options that would allow this to happen. 6. You finally have a consistent program with good Childcare staff. How are you going to get them back? We love our staff, and we don’t want them to go far! Human Resources may be redeploying Childcare staff elsewhere in the facility during the construction phase of our facility enhancement project, which could mean they may not leave at all. Childcare will resume in the year following construction, and we will do everything in our power to get our team back. We are actively working with our Human Resources department to ensure that sufficient incentive and retention strategies are in place such that our excellent people will return as soon as Childcare resumes. 7. What happens to the Childcare passes I’ve purchased? Childcare passes will remain valid. They can be used until Childcare ends on February 15th, 2010, and will remain valid when Childcare starts up again after construction is complete. We will offer full refunds on any unused Childcare cards to any participants who wish to return them.
Attention Annual Members Refer a friend and we’ll extend your membership!
Come in to Talisman Centre and pick up your referral card. Give it to a friend. If they sign up for an annual membership we’ll extend your membership by one month!
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 11
dR. NEvILLE LINdSAy SPORT wELLNESS BUILdING UPPER LEVEL
ETS, Tri Club & Group Fitness Cycle Zone
Personal Training Zone
Public & Member Parking Area
M Ch en’s an & ge W Ro om BA om en LCO s & ’s P NY Lo ubli cke c rs
SERVICE S PO TAIR DESK OL S T DE O CK
CALGARy FOUNdATION AQUAPLEX UPPER LEVEL
12 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
dR. NEvILLE LINdSAy SPORT wELLNESS BUILdING LoWER LEVEL
STAIRS TO MEZZANINE (CARDIO MACHINES / FITNESS TESTING)
SPORTS MEDICINE CENTRE PHYSIOTHERAPY
Temporary Public Lockers (Executive Lockers converted; accessible via hoarding through construction area)
ELEVATOR STAIRS TO UPPER LEVEL
’s en om rs W we & Sho n’s ic Me ubl P
Wheelchair Accessible Temporary Entrance
CALGARy FOUNdATION AQUAPLEX LoWER LEVEL
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 13
Group Fitness FAQs
1. How did you select which classes would remain, and which ones would be on hiatus for 2010? A number of factors were carefully considered in order to create a schedule for 2010. We will be unable to use any of the gyms or pools that are currently found under the tented portion of Talisman Centre. The space that will be available must be shared by members, the public, and Talisman Centre’s Sport Partners. (To mitigate this strain, there will be no drop-ins after 3:00pm.) In addition, the available parking lot space will be significantly reduced, and the childcare services that many of our group fitness participants rely on will not be offered in 2010. Since our facility will not be able to accommodate the same number of customers as we currently do, we have adjusted our schedule accordingly, so that the customers will continue to enjoy the best possible experience at Talisman Centre through 2010. 2. When will the schedule change for the Aquatics classes? The 2010 aquatics schedule will take effect on January 1st, 2010. 3. When will the schedule change for the Dryland classes? Cycling and Yoga classes will move to their new location on January 1, 2010. The full 2010 dryland schedule will take effect in February, 2010. Further details will be published when they are available. 4. What is the Group Fitness Schedule for 2010? Please see the schedule on the adjacent page. (Note: The white space in this schedule indicates that the time is reserved by one of Talisman Centre’s Sport Partners or other User Groups. This schedule was accurate at the time of publication, but is subject to change.) 5. Will the classes that are on hiatus in 2010 return in 2011? It is our intention to return as many existing classes as possible when the main tented portion of Talisman Centre re-opens in 2011. We will not have exact details or scheduling information until we are closer to the grand re-opening date. 6. Where can I take a Ripped class in the city? We understand the popularity of our Ripped classes and the passion of its attendees. As mentioned in the previous question, Talisman Centre is simply unable to accommodate those classes with the space we’ll have available in 2010. However, we are pleased to inform you that we are working in conjunction with Ripped founder Jari Love and her husband and business partner Ray Love, to help our customers transition to either one of their Fitness Plus locations in the city where you may continue to get the Ripped experience in 2010. North Location: South Location: 1709 8th Avenue NE 10401 Braeside Dr SW, Calgary, AB T2E 0S9 Calgary, AB T2W 1B5 Phone: (403) 273-7450 Phone: (403) 258-0333 Club Hours: Monday-Friday: 6am - 10pm Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 5pm Membership details, fees, schedules or other information on “Get Ripped” at Fitness Plus will be released this winter. Check Talisman Centre’s Drop-in Schedule webpage for the weblink.
14 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
7. Where will the Talisman Centre Group Fitness classes be located in 2010? In 2010, Talisman Centre will be operating our two annex buildings, which include two gyms, two 25 metre pools, and office space. The bulk of group fitness classes will be held in one of the two gymnasiums for dryland classes, and in the pool for our aquatic group fitness classes. Exact location information for each class will be published soon. 8. When will I know who is teaching the Group Fitness classes at Talisman Centre in 2010? The experience providers at Talisman Centre will be working with our current instructors over the coming weeks and months in order to determine the teaching schedules for 2010. Our website will have the most up-to-date information. 10. Where can I get more information about Group Fitness in 2010? The schedule below will be valid from February 16 - December, 2010. A Christmas schedule will be available in November 2010. Please direct all inquiries regarding Group Fitness to email@example.com, or use the contact form on our website. You may also call Customer Service at (403) 233-8393 and ask to speak to the Dryland Manager.
SUNDAY 6:30 9:00
Cardio Kickbox 10-11 am
Power Cycle 6:30-7:30 am
Yoga 6:30-7:30 am
Cardio & Core 6:30-7:30 am
Yoga 6:30-7:30 am
6:30-7:30 am Maximum Step 9-10 am
Cardio Kickbox 10-11 am
Cardio Kickbox 10-11 am Deep Water Fit 10:30-11:30
Yoga 11:15 am -12:30 pm Yoga 11 am -12 pm
Yoga 11 am -12 pm
Boot Camp 12-1 pm
12-1 pm Yoga 1:15-2:15 pm
Shake It Up 12-1 pm
Maximum Step 5:15-6:15 pm Yoga 8-9 pm
Power Cycle 5-6 pm
Power Cycle 5-6 pm
5:15-6:15 pm Yoga 8-9 pm Yoga 8-9 pm
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 15
Nutrition Services FAQs
1. What changes to the nutrition services can I expect with the roof replacement? Nutrition Services will continue during the roof replacement. Check out the options on the adacent page and for Nutrition and Personal Training Combo Packages available see page 19. 2. Do I have to be a member of Talisman Centre to use the nutrition services? Anyone can book an appointment for nutrition sessions or programs. If you are a Talisman Centre member you receive a 10% discount. 3. Will the available times to access nutrition services be affected by the reduced space? Not at all. Appointments are scheduled on an individual basis, with consideration as to what works best for both the client and Dietitian. Nutrition services will continue to be offered in a confidential location within the building. 4. How do I set up an appointment with the Registered Dietitian? For all inquires for nutrition services and programs or to set up an appointment please contact Kelly Drager at (403) 355–1281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. What will happen with Talisman Centre volunteers? The decision has been made to suspend the volunteer program at Talisman Centre during 2010. The volunteer program will remain as it currently operates until the tent closure on February 28, 2010. 2. Won’t Talisman Centre need volunteers in 2010? By closing the tented portion of Talisman Centre, our facility is effectively reduced by 60%. With the reduction in space comes a reduction in the number of available positions. We value our talented employees, but we simply could not keep all of them when we have such a reduction in space. It wouldn’t seem fair to offer positions to volunteers in 2010 when we are unable to retain the majority of our current employees. 3. Can I volunteer again when Talisman Centre reopens in 2011? The Management team will be reviewing the volunteer program in 2010 and making decisions for 2011. When we know more about what the volunteer program will look like in 2011, we will make that information available on our website. 4. Can I use my Talisman Centre membership in 2010? You are welcome to use your volunteer membership until December 31st, 2009. After that time, due to the constraints on space and personnel, we won’t be able to extend that benefit into 2010.
16 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
A step above the rest, Talisman Centre recognizes the need for the union of fitness and nutrition to help individuals meet their goals. Everything you need is under one roof! Have our skilled Registered Dietician work closely with you, your trainer, and your lifestyle to bring forward a customized nutrition plan that will get you results. All Talisman Centre nutrition packages are tailored to the clients’ needs whether you are looking for sport enhancement, health or weight loss.
the coolest place for cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training.
Please note: the Main Weight room under the
tent will be closed for roof renovation in 2010. check our website www.talismancentre.com/2010 for the latest updates.
NUTRITION SERvICE 1
Includes initial one-on-one consultation with our Registered Dietician, a customized nutrition menu plan that meets your energy needs and lifestyle preferences, and continued support with two ½ hour-long follow-ups. Member $221 Non-Member $243
This zone consists of selectorized (pin adjusted) weight equipment, light free weights, cable gyms, an area for flexibility, balance and core training and various cardio machines. With fewer distractions, the mezzanine provides a cardio experience with a view.
Guidelines To make your experience safer and more enjoyable, please read the following guidelines: • Always wear appropriate clothing including shorts, a shirt and a pair of closed-toe shoes, such as runners • Remove and re-rack weights from all machines • Wipe down all equipment after use • Keep cell phone use to a minimum • Always use sign-up boards to ensure your time on cardiovascular machines • Ask for help if you are unsure • Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the Fitness Centre • Visitors 13-15 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and within arms reach
NUTRITION SERvICE 2
Includes a 3-day detailed nutrient analysis of your average intake of carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins, and mineral amounts and a comparison of your results to the ideal values. Our Registered Dietitian will interpret these results for you and prepare a customized menu plan to meet your daily energy and nutrient needs. You also receive three ½ hour-long follow-ups for continued support and further development of your nutrition plan. Member $347 Non-Member $381
SoMEThINg ELSE IN MIND?
Customized packages are available to further meet your specific needs. Examples include additional follow-up packages, grocery tours, body composition testing, group or family sessions, or nutrition and personal training packages.
For all nutrition inquiries call (403) 355–1281 or email email@example.com.
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 17
The 2010 training area is located beside the Committee Room, across from Gyms 4 and 5, in the Dr. Neville Lindsay Sport Wellness Building (see maps, pages 12-13).
PERSonAL FITnESS TRAInInG Whether you want to look and feel better, live a healthier lifestyle or improve your current fitness level, our certified personal trainers will design a program just for you to help you achieve these goals. 8 sessions: $513 Member $564 Non-member 12 sessions: $744 Member $818 Non-member GRoUP TRAInInG If you have a group of 2 to 4 friends with a common fitness goal in mind, whether it’s weight management or sport-specific training, our Training Coaches will motivate you while you motivate each other. Reach your goals together, working in a fun and challenging environment. 2 people: 8 sessions 12 sessions $286 Member $396 Member $316 Non-member $436 Non-member 3 people: $236 Member) $300 Member $262 Non-member $330 Non-member 4 people: $187 Member $237 Member $206 Non-member $260 Non-member All rates are per person. Expires after one year. 24 sessions $714 Member $786 Non-member $480 Member $528 Non-member $405 Member $447 Non-member
PoST-PHYSIoTHERAPY ExERCISE REHABILITATIon Are you a pre or post-surgery patient? Would you like to get a little stronger before your surgery occurs? Or have you finished your allotted Physiotherapy appointments yet do not feel 100% recovered? Why not join an exercise program with a certified Kinesiologist and Personal Trainer to help you reach your goals! The Kinesiologist will work with you through a customized and structured program to keep you injury-free. Individual Sessions: 5 sessions: $272 Member $302 Non-Member 10 sessions $525 Member $583 Non-Member 15 sessions: $763 Member $843 Non-Member Please note: This is not a substitute for physiotherapy. To qualify for this program, you must be referred by a physiotherapist.
18 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
NuTRiTioN & PERSoNAl TRAiNiNG CoMbo PACkAGES
The food choices you make and the food patterns you develop greatly impact your health and well-being as well as your athletic performance. Get our team of professionals working for you! A balanced nutrition plan combined with One-on-One Fitness Training will accelerate you towards your goals. Whether you are just getting started, or are looking to make a lifestyle change for success, this combination of exercise and healthy eating will take you to where you want to be!
Give yourself a fantastic kickstart toward your goals! 4 Training Sessions + 1 hour Nutrition Consultation $327 Member $360 Non-Member
Keep it up! Your goals are in sight! 8 Training Sessions + 1 hour Nutrition Consultation $603 Member $663 Non-Member
Ensure success by committing to changing your life! 20 Training Sessions + 1 hour Nutrition Consultation $1155 Member $1270 Non-Member
THE FlEX PRoGRAM
Get it all. This is the ultimate program that includes testing, nutrition coaching, meal planning and personal training. Work with highly skilled professionals to customize your program. Ready to make the commitment? This Program is ready to see you succeed!
Services Testing Body Composition analysis Nutrition Goal Setting Initial Consultation Nutrient Analysis Customized Meal Template Personal Training Customized Training Session Flex Sessions* 3 months $985 2 6 months $1700 3
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 2
*Option to choose training or nutrition sessions. Call for more information 403-355-1281
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 19
Please note: 2010 schedule will take effect on January 1st. The swim classes will be located in the Aquatic Tri Complex and the run and bike sessions will be located in the Mezzanine (see maps pages 12-13).
Endurance Training Systems is a multi-disciplinary team of coaches, physiologists and nutritionists dedicated to helping athletes achieve one thing, results. Through the use of testing to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each athlete, a fully customized training plan is designed to help peak athletes for their goal event(s). Talisman Centres endurance training team provides the latest in training techniques, motivation, nutritional advice and support to develop successful athletes. Whether you are a mountain bike racer, triathlete, cyclist, runner or adventure racer, ETS will help you achieve new performance levels.
CoMPREHEnSIvE ETS TRAInInG PACkAGE ETS training packages are designed to meet the complete training needs of endurance athletes and the Talisman Centre provides the perfect training environment for athletes of all ability levels. Athletes have access to qualified coaches, trainers and nutritionists to help provide training guidance, motivation, expertise and support. This unique training package provides endurance athletes the services often available only to high-performance athletes at an attractive cost under one roof! Athletes who have committed to a 6 month package have all achieved personal bests and reached new performance levels. Services Program Design 12 weeks 24 weeks Testing Body Composition Analysis One of the following: Cycling Lactate OR Running Lactate Testing Features Exclusive access to the Athletic Training Zone Facility membership for duration of package Unlimited athlete-initiated email/phone communication with coach One-on-one coaching sessions Nutritional counseling session Use of stationary bicycle trainers for cycling ✔ ✔ ✔ 4 1 ✔ ✔ ✔ ✔ 8 2 ✔ 2 2 3 3 ✔ ✔ 3 months $1000 6 months $1650
20 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
Please Note: All registrations must be completed through Jack vandyk, endurance training Systems (etS)
& tri club coordinator, 403-355-1259, firstname.lastname@example.org
ETS InDIvIDUAL TRAInInG SESSIonS 15 years and up Individual training geared to athletes wanting private sessions with a coach to work on specific aspects of their sport. Athletes can choose to work on the technical aspects of weight training, swimming, improving pedaling mechanics using the Computrainer SpinScan function, improve running mechanics, increase flexibility or perform interval training under the watchful eye of your coach in our Athletic Training Zone.
ETS ADvAnCED BASE BUILDInG 15 years and up Continue to build upon the Fall base building programs with these challenging 2-hour workouts designed to increase your overall cycling abilities. The perfect training program for long distance cycling and triathlon events. Monday 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Jan 4-Mar 22 (34264) 11 classes Member $225 Non-Member $270 Tuesday 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Jan 5-Mar 23 (34265) 12 classes Member $245 Non-Member $294 Wednesday 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Jan 6-Mar 24 (34266) 12 classes Member $245 Non-Member $294 Thursday 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Jan 7-Mar 25 (34267) 12 classes Member $245 Non-Member $294 Friday 9:30 am-11:30 am Jan 8-Mar 26 (34268) 10 classes Member $204 Non-Member $245 ETS BASE BUILDInG – WInTER 15 years and up Continue to develop your aerobic base, pedal mechanics, cycling-specific strength and lactate threshold as well as VO2max and anaerobic capacity in a progressive manner leading into the cycling season. Individualized power training zones and a power profile will be developed for each participant to provide more accurate and focused training. Monday 10:00 am-11:30 am Jan 4-Mar 22 (34269) 11 classes Member $176 Non-Member $211 Wednesday 10:00 am-11:30 am Jan 6-Mar 24 (34270) 12 classes Member $192 Non-Member $230
$219 Member 8 sessions: $425 Member 12 sessions: $615 Member
$244 Non-Member $472 Non-Member $684 Non-Member
ETS CUSToMIzED PRoGRAM DESIGn 15 years and up Successful athletes train to achieve specific goals and follow a training program designed to meet those goals. ETS guarantees no use of generic or computer generated training programs - each program is designed around the athlete, their current level of fitness and their specific sport to achieve a peak performance. Programs are emailed to athletes regularly and consistent email or phone communication with an ETS coach is included with this service. 12 Weeks w/ nutrition & Testing Session $490 24 Weeks w/ 2 nutrition & Testing Sessions $820
ETS RUnnInG/CYCLInG LACTATE & vo2 MAx TESTInG Blood lactate testing is an advanced method of assessing and monitoring your body’s responses to training. Measuring your blood lactate can help determine the type of training an athlete should focus on. The results of the lactate test are used to create specific power and heart rate zones to maximize an athlete’s training program. VO2 Max is also determined during this test. Member $140 Non-member $155 ETS TRIATHLon TEST PACkAGE This test package combines the cycling and running test services to give triathletes the information they need to improve race performances. Member $227 Non-member $250
Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010 21
Training for a local or national event? Talisman Centre’s Triathlon Club can provide you with the support you need to achieve your goals.
Our customized approach allows members to build individual training schedules by choosing from a variety of training sessions for each training quarter. All training courses are facilitated by our specialized coaching team. Members can also choose to attend social events and seminars associated with the club. Seminars include goal setting, nutrition, equipment selection and more. A non-refundable annual membership fee of $250 will provide you with the benefits associated with the club. This fee will entitle you to the following: • Exclusive registration to Triathlon Club sessions • Talisman Centre Triathlon Club uniform • Seminars and clinics • Club socials and team events • Talisman Centre facility membership • Alberta Triathlon Association (ATA) membership Triathlon Club members are required to register for two or more courses per training quarter to activate their membership. Triathletes can re-customize their training schedules by registering for courses every quarter. Monthly payment plans are available for training session registration fees. January 4 to March 26 (Register by December 15) Three Step Registration Process: 1) Pay $250 upon annual registration 2) Register for 2 tri club courses from the list below per session 3) Choose payment plan: monthly or lump-sum
TRIATHLon CLUB GRoUP BRICk 18 years and up The ability to run after the cycling portion of a triathlon is a key element to having a successful day. These sessions are designed to help build your aerobic base and your ability to run comfortably off the bike. $165 / 12 classes Wednesday 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Jan 6-Mar 24 (34335) TRIATHLon CLUB IRon BRICk 18 years and up new! For those looking to improve their overall endurance, fatigue resistance or preparing for a half to full Ironman this motivating group session will ensure you are fit by the start of the season. Training sessions will be constantly varied and designed to push each athlete. You will require your own bike for these sessions as they will be conducted on our ergotrainers. $240 / 10 classes Saturday 9:00 am-12:00 pm Jan 9-Mar 20 (34337) TRIATHLon CLUB IRonSWIM 18 years and up new! For those looking to swim longer and preparing for the Iron distance this is the swim training session for you. Build your distance swimming ability through this 90 min session. $165 / 12 classes Tuesday 7:30 pm- 9:00 pm Jan 5-Mar 23 (34333) Thursday 7:30 pm- 9:00 pm Jan 7-Mar 25 (34334) TRIATHLon CLUB SWIM 18 years and up The Winter Triathlon Club Swim course shifts the focus to improving swim-specific fitness through more intensive interval sets and building endurance to swim more distance per interval. Monday 6:00 am- 7:00 am Jan 4-Mar 22 (34328) $105 / 11 classes Tuesday 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm Jan 5-Mar 23 (34331) $114 / 12 classes Wednesday 6:00 am- 7:00 am Jan 6-Mar 24 (34329) $114 / 12 classes Thursday 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm Jan 7-Mar 25 (34332) $114 / 12 classes Friday 6:00 am- 7:00 am Jan 8-Mar 26 (34330) $95 / 10 classes
TRi Club WiNTER SESSioNS
For more information on etS programs contact:
Jack vandyk endurance training Systems (etS) & tri club coordinator 403-355-1259 email@example.com
22 Seriously investing in your personal best. 403-233-8393 www.talismancentre.com/2010
AQUATIC PERSonAL TRAInInG TALISMAn CEnTRE TRI SWIM
17 years and up Improve your swim times through interval training sessions. Workouts focus on freestyle training for efficiency, endurance and speed. Our coaching staff will assist in technique refinement to maximize efficiency and help you achieve your triathlon swimming goals. Prerequisite: Must be able to swim 25m lengths competently Monday 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm Jan 4-Mar 22 (34442) 11 classes Member $88 Non-Member $110 Wednesday 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm Jan 6-Mar 24 (34443) 12 classes Member $96 Non-Member $120 Friday 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm Jan 8-Mar 26 (34444) 10 classes Member $80 Non-Member $100
TALISMAn CEnTRE MASTERS SWIM CLUB
18 years and up Talisman Centre Masters Swim Club offers expert national class swim coaches. Proper swim technique is taught along with Video Tech Analysis provided by Talisman RaceTek Services. The club promotes sound conditioning for both sprint and endurance events. Clinics are offered throughout the year emphasizing swim technique, strength, flexibility and nutrition. Social Events are planned regularly throughout the year. If you aspire to compete in national/ provincial events or just come regularly to train in the four competitive strokes for fun and fitness, TC Masters is the club for you. Prerequisite: Must be able to swim 200m without stopping. Weekly workout times: Monday & Wednesday 7:00-8:30 am, Sunday 9-10:30 am Session 1: Jan 11-Jun 28 (34393) 25 weeks Member $395 Non-Member $495 Session 2: Sep 6 – Dec 19 (34394) 15 weeks Member $200 Non-Member $250
(formerly known as Aquatics Private Lessons) 3 years and up New and improved private aquatic lessons now include goal setting, specialized instruction and customization to meet you or your child’s needs. In these one-on-one sessions you’ll see advanced progression in both technique and endurance. It’s way more than a swimming lesson! Maximum of 2 people. 8 classes Member $160 Non-Member $176 Monday 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 4-Feb 22 (34395) 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 4-Feb 22 (34396) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34397) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34398) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34399) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34400) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34401) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34402) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34403) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 4-Feb 22 (34404) Wednesday 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 6-Feb 24 (34408) 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 6-Feb 24 (34409) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34410) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34411) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34412) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34413) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34414) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34415) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34416) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 6-Feb 24 (34417) Friday 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 8-Feb 26 (34418) 11:00 am-11:30 am Jan 8-Feb 26 (34419) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34420) 11:35 am-12:05 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34421) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34422) 12:10 pm-12:40 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34423) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34424) 12:45 pm- 1:15 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34425) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34426) 1:20 pm- 1:50 pm Jan 8-Feb 26 (34427) Sunday 4:00 pm- 4:30 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34428) 4:00 pm- 4:30 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34429) 4:35 pm- 5:05 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34430) 4:35 pm- 5:05 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34431) 5:10 pm- 5:40 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34432) 5:10 pm- 5:40 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34433) 5:45 pm- 6:15 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34434) 5:45 pm- 6:15 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34435) 6:20 pm- 6:50 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34436) 6:20 pm- 6:50 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34437) 6:55 pm- 7:25 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34438) 6:55 pm- 7:25 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34439) 7:30 pm- 8:00 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34440) 7:30 pm- 8:00 pm Jan 10-Feb 28 (34441)
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?