This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
SCI/241 The Science of Nutrition Course Start Date: 11/09/2009 Course End Date: 1/24/2010
Please print a copy of this syllabus for handy reference. Whenever there is a question about what assignments are due, please remember this syllabus is considered the ruling document.
Copyright ©2009 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.
University of Phoenix© is a registered trademark of Apollo Group, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Microsoft©, Windows©, and Windows NT© are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other company and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Use of these marks is not intended to imply endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation. Edited in accordance with University of Phoenix© editorial standards and practices.
Lois Baker email@example.com (University of Phoenix) firstname.lastname@example.org (Personal) 661-305-9774 (Pacific Standard Time) Facilitator Availability I am available from 4 p.m.-10 p.m. Pacific Time on most days. During the week, I am online most of the time during that 4 p.m.-10 p.m. time frame. On Saturdays, I tend to be online in the morning only. If these times are not convenient for you, please let me know. I will be happy to accommodate your schedule, if possible. I provide you with these times to make it easier to communicate with me, and not to limit our contact.
I want you to know that, should you need to contact me outside these time frames, you should not hesitate to do so. For emergencies, when you are not able to gain access to messages on the Online Learning System (OLS), please send a message to my personal email address. In the event a third party needs to contact me, please direct them to my contact information listed under "facilitator information." No third party should use your login credentials to gain access to the classroom.
Where to Go to Class
Main: This is the main forum for the class and is where discussion is conducted. It has read-and-write access for everyone. Chat-Room: This is a read-and-write access forum. It is designed as a place to discuss issues not related to the course content. This is the forum to which we will send our bios. Course-Materials: This is a read-only forum, which means you can read messages here but cannot send any. This is where I will post the course syllabus and materials. Individual Forum: You will see one forum with your name on it. This is a private forum, shared only by you and me, the facilitator. Your classmates will not have access to this forum. This is where you will post your individual assignments, and where I will post your feedback. You can also ask questions here. However, if you have general questions about instructions of assignments, please post those in the Main forum, since other students may benefit by that exchange as well.
For class policies please see the Policies link on the left side of the Materials page for the course on eCampus. Faculty and students/learners will be held responsible for understanding and adhering to all policies contained within that link. University policies are subject to change so please be sure to read them at the beginning of each class as it may have changed since your last class. Policies may be slightly different depending on the modality in which you attend class. If you have recently changed modalities it is important you read the policies governing your current class modality.
Technical Support is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 1-877-832-4867, or use the e-mail support form. Answers to the most common issues are found in the Knowledge Base by clicking Help, found at the top of every student Web site.
Each week, I will provide grades or scores and comments on your assignments. I will send feedback to your Individual forum.
Points Grade 95+ 90-94 87-89 84-86 80-83 77-79 A AB+ B BC+
74-76 70-73 67-69 64-66 60-63 <59
C CD+ D DF
Course Topics & Objectives
Point Values for Course Assignments
ASSIGNMENTS Individual (100%) CheckPoint: Three Day Diet Analysis (Week 1) Assignment: Healthy Eating Plan (Week 1) CheckPoint: Human Digestion (Week 2) CheckPoint: Fiber Research (Week 3) Assignment Carbohydrate Presentation (Week 3) CheckPoint: Protein Article Search (Week 4) CheckPoint: Multivitamin Review (Week 5) Assignment Dehydration (Week 5) CheckPoint: Three Day Activity Analysis (Week 6) CheckPoint: Lifespan Nutritional Needs Presentation (Week 7) Assignment Healthy Eating Plan Comparison (Week 7) Capstone CheckPoint: Reflections on Nutrition (Week 9) Final Project: Personalized Nutrition & Exercise Plan (Week 9) Participation (10 points per week) Discussion Questions (10 points per week) Total 30 100 30 30 100 30 30 100 30 30 100 30 280 40 40 1000 Points 1,000
Read the course description and objectives. Read the instructor’s biography and post your own.
Fundamentals of Health and Diet • • • Interpret nutritional content labels. Create a healthy eating plan based on the USDA Food Guide Pyramid. Explain the functions of different classes of nutrients. Identify nutrient-rich foods.
Read Appendix A. Read Ch. 1 & 2 of Nutrition: Everyday Choices.
1. CheckPoint: Three Day Diet Analysis
• • • Document what you eat during a 3-day period by using the free food intake assessment tool located on http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov. Set up an account with the MyPyramid Tracker Web site by using the registration instructions in Appendix B. Analyze your food intake by answering the following questions: ○ ○ ○ How does your diet compare to the recommendations you received from the Food Guide Pyramid? How many servings from each food group did you consume? How might you modify your diet to get the recommended servings for each food group? What are some nutrient-rich foods that you could add to your daily diet? Examine the food labels for three of the items included on your food diary. List the following components for each of the items: • • • • • • Total calories per serving Percentage of calories from fat Total amount of carbohydrates (in grams) Total amount of protein (in grams) Total amount of fiber (in grams)
Post your response as an attachment.
1. Assignment: Healthy Eating Plan
• Visit http://www.mypyramid.gov and click on MyPyramid Plan in the subject listings.
• • •
Answer the questions listed and then click on Submit for your customized food pyramid. Create a healthy eating plan for yourself using your personal recommendations from the Web site. Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper in APA format outlining your healthy eating plan. You must discuss the following: ○ ○ ○ Your current eating habits as documented in the Food Diary CheckPoint Your nutritional recommendations based on your customized food pyramid results How you intend to implement your healthy eating plan in your daily life
List the various classes of nutrients currently in your diet and their functions, as well as any nutrient-rich foods and nutrient-lacking foods you consume. Post your paper as an attachment.
Summary of Week 1 Deliverables Assignment Bio CheckPoint: Three Day Diet Analysis Assignment: Healthy Eating Plan Chat Room Individual forum Individual forum Location Due Day 1 Day 5 Day 7
Digestion and Absorption Processes • • • Explain common digestive problems and ways to alleviate them. Identify reasons for making dietary modifications. Trace the digestive process from ingestion to waste elimination.
1. Readings • Read Ch. 3 & 4 of Nutrition.
1. CheckPoint: Human Digestion
• • • Complete the Human Digestion activity located at http://corptrain.phoenix.edu/axia/sci241/sci241-digestivetract.html. Describe, in 200- to 300-words, the path food follows through the digestive system and how digestion occurs in each of the following parts of the digestive system. Include descriptions of other organs or components of the digestive system, including: ○ ○ ○ Large intestine Mouth Small intestine Stomach
Post your response.
1. Discussion Questions • Use the Internet to retrieve articles on at least two common digestive problems. Suggested resources include the following:
○ The Health and Wellness Resource Center located under the Specialized Article
Databases in the Axia Library at
https://axiaecampus.phoenix.edu/secure/gotoLibrary.asp ○ http://www.webmd.com ○ http://journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/yjada/home
What are some of the ways these two digestive problems can be remedied or relieved? Do you think home remedies might work better than some of the suggested treatment methods you have read about? Why or why not? Explain your answer, including appropriate APA citations from your database search. • Think of some of your favorite foods when you were 10 years old. Are they still your favorites? Do you think you will be eating the same foods you eat today 20 years from now? What are some of the reasons dietary modifications may be needed in different life stages? Provide three examples to support your answer
Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement and will be evaluated separately. Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score. Summary of Week 2 Deliverables Assignment DQ #1 DQ #2 CheckPoint: Human Digestion Main forum Main forum Individual forum Location Due Day 2 Day 4 Day 5
Nutrient Essentials and Functions: Part One • • • Explain the function of fiber in the body. Determine how sugars are broken down and used in the body. Differentiate between simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates.
Course Assignments 1. CheckPoint: Fiber Research • • • •
Visit http://www.americanheart.org and click on the Heart & Stroke Encyclopedia link. Click on the F in the alphabetical listing, and then click on Fiber. Read about fiber in the online encyclopedia. Read the article, Fibers, Lipids, and Coronary Heart Disease, at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/12/2701. Write a 200- to 300-word response answering the following questions: ○ ○ ○ ○ What is the function of fiber in the body? What are some examples of food sources of dietary fiber? What is the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber? What are the fiber recommendations for children versus adults, according to the article? information? • Format your citations according to APA standards.
○ What did you learn about fiber that you were not aware of prior to reading this
1. Assignment: Carbohydrate Presentation
• Create a 10- to 15-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation that explains the following:
○ ○ ○ ○
What are carbohydrates? What is the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates? How are sugars are broken down and used in the body? What are the benefits that carbohydrates provide to the body?
Provide examples of foods that are considered healthy sources of carbohydrates. Include information on one of the following disorders related to carbohydrates: lactose intolerance, diabetes, or hypoglycemia. Include a definition, how it affects the body, and some of the courses of action used to treat and manage the disorder. Include speaker notes. Include a reference slide with citations in APA format. Post your presentation as an attachment.
• • •
Summary of Week 3 Deliverables Assignment CheckPoint: Fiber Research Assignment: Carbohydrate Presentation Location Individual forum Individual forum Due Day 5 Day 7
Nutrient Essentials and Functions: Part Two • • • Discuss how lipids and proteins contribute to a healthy diet. Describe the movement and storage of lipids in the body. Explain the function of amino acids in the body.
1. Readings • Read Ch. 5 & 6 of Nutrition.
1. CheckPoint: Protein Article Search
According to your text, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, which are needed for growth and the regulation of functions in the body.
Use the University Library to find an article related to one of the following topics:
○ The role of protein in hormone and enzyme functions
○ ○ • • •
How protein assists with immunity The protein needs of an infant or toddler compared to an adult The importance of protein in maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance and pH balance Amino acids and how they relate to athletics
Write a 200- to 300-word summary of the article. Include appropriate APA citations for your findings. Post your response as an attachment.
1. Discussion Questions • In our society, there are weight loss programs that recommend low fat, no-fat, or high protein diets. Should we eliminate fats from our diets altogether and increase proteins? What are some of the benefits that unsaturated fats and proteins provide when included in a balanced diet? Explain your answer. If you have ever poured oil into a glass of water, you have seen that these two substances do not mix. Knowing this, how do lipids move through the body so they can be digested and absorbed? How are lipids stored in the body? Explain your answer.
Discussion Questions Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement and will be evaluated separately. Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score. Summary of Week 4 Deliverables Assignment DQ #1 Main forum Location Due Day 2
DQ #2 CheckPoint: Protein Article Search
Main forum Individual forum
Day 4 Day 5
The Impact of Water, Vitamins, and Minerals • • • • Explain the health benefits of vitamins and minerals. Explain the health benefits of water. Compare and contrast different types of electrolytes. Describe the impact of dehydration on the body.
1. Readings • Read Ch. 8 & 9 of Nutrition.
1. CheckPoint: Multivitamin Review •
Examine the label of a jar of multivitamins—either one that you currently take or one that is sold in a store. Using Tables 8.2 and 8.3 in Ch. 8 (pp. 239–240, 262), and Tables 9.1 and 9.6 in Ch. 9 (pp. 288, 307–308), determine if the multivitamin would meet the recommended daily intake for adults for vitamins and minerals. Relate the vitamin and mineral amounts in the multivitamin to your diet. Address the following questions: ○ ○ ○ What are some of the benefits you stand to receive by taking it every day? Does taking a multivitamin every day raise your intake of a particular vitamin or mineral to near-toxic levels? What are the consequences of toxicity?
Post a 200- to 300-word response discussing your findings
1. Assignment: Dehydration
• • Write a 1,050- to 1,750-word paper about the effects of dehydration. Include answers to the following: ○ ○ ○ ○ Why is water essential to health maintenance? What are the functions of water in the body? What happens to the body when it does not get the water it needs? Compare and contrast how different electrolytes—sodium, potassium, and chloride— function in the body.
○ What effects might alcohol and caffeine have on hydration levels in the body? ○ What steps may people take to ensure they do not become dehydrated? • •
Format your paper according to APA standards. Post your paper as an attachment.
Summary of Week 5 Deliverables Assignment CheckPoint: Multivitamin Review Assignment: Dehydration Location Individual forum Individual forum Due Day 4 Day 7
Weight Management and Fitness • • • Give examples of health problems associated with eating disorders. Discuss disease risks associated with obesity. Appraise current levels and amounts of physical activity.
1. Readings • Read Ch. 7 & 11 of Nutrition.
1. CheckPoint: Three Day Activity Analysis
• • • Use the physical activity assessment tool provided on http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov to keep track of any physical activity you do over a 3-day period. Use the registration instructions in Appendix B to set up an account with the MyPyramid Tracker Web site if you have not done so already. Use the Analyze Physical Activities feature on the Web site as a reference to determine how many calories you burned during the 3-day period. Write a 200- to 300-word response addressing the following questions:
○ What everyday changes, if any, might you make to increase the amount of energy
expended in your day-to-day activities? What types and amounts of exercise would work best for you? Can the activities be performed year-round? If not, can you suggest alternative activities and locations for inclement weather?
1. Discussion Questions • What are some of the health problems associated with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder? Explain, from a physiological standpoint, how eating disorders may lead to health problems. Provide at least three examples to support your answer. Visit the American Obesity Awareness Web site at http://www.obesity.org/information/factsheets.asp and read about the health effects of obesity. What does the Web site tell you about obesity that you were not aware of before? Explain what you have learned.
Discussion Questions Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement and will be evaluated separately. Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score. Summary of Week 6 Deliverables Assignment DQ #1 Main forum Location Due Day 2
DQ #2 CheckPoint: Three Day Activity Analysis
Main forum Individual forum
Day 4 Day 5
Nutrition throughout the Stages of Life • • • Trace the changes in nutritional needs throughout a person’s life. Explain the nutritional needs for women during pregnancy. Inventory personal nutrition habits.
1. Readings • Read Ch. 12 & 13 of Nutrition.
1. CheckPoint: Lifespan Nutrition Needs Presentation
• • Create a 6-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation, tracing the nutrition needs of both a man and a woman throughout the various stages of life. Address the nutritional needs for the following:
○ Infants ○ Teenagers ○ Adults ○ Women during pregnancy ○ Older adults
• • • • Use one slide to illustrate each stage of life, detailing the needs of the man in one column and the needs of the woman in another. Conclude your presentation on the last slide, and include any references in APA format. Include speaker notes. Post your presentation as an attachment
1. Assignment: Healthy Eating Plan Comparison
• • • • •
Resources: Food Diary, Healthy Eating Plan, and http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov Complete the Food Diary CheckPoint a second time. Compare your recent responses to the activity questions with the responses you provided in Week One. Write a 1,050- to 1,750-word paper, outlining how your nutritional habits have changed, if at all, since the first week of this class. Use your findings from the comparison and the Healthy Eating Plan paper as reference tools. Address the following questions: ○ What changes do you see in your diet? If nothing has changed, explain why. What are you more aware of now when making food choices?
○ • •
Format your paper according to APA standards. Post your paper as an attachment.
Summary of Week 7 Deliverables Assignment Assignment: Health Eating Plan Comparison Location Individual forum Due Day 4 Day 7
CheckPoint: Lifespan Nutrition Needs Presentation Individual forum
Nutrition Awareness: Global and Domestic • • • Propose methods for protecting against food-borne illnesses. Describe the health problems associated with undernutrition. Explain the cycle of malnutrition.
1. Discussion Questions • Review the following Web sites:
○ http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/list.html ○ http://www.fightbac.org ○ http://www.foodsafety.gov
Food-borne illnesses may cause serious health problems. How are food-borne illnesses contracted? What are some ways you can protect yourself and others from food-borne illnesses at home? Provide three examples to support your answer. • Review the following Web sites, performing a search using the key words hunger, poverty, and malnutrition for the first three Web sites:
○ ○ ○ ○
http://www.who.int/en http://www.unicef.org http://www.un.org/summit/hunger.html http://www.thp.org/what_we_do/program_overview/intro_video
Undernutrition continues to be a chronic problem for many countries throughout the developing world. What are some of the health problems associated with undernutrition? Explain the cycle of malnutrition. Who does it affect? Explain your answer.
Discussion Questions Discussion question responses will not count towards the class participation requirement and will be evaluated separately. Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score. Summary of Week 8 Deliverables Assignment DQ #1 DQ #2 Main Forum Main Forum Location Day 2 Day4 Due
Nutrition in Motion • Develop a personal, lifelong nutrition and exercise program.
Course Assignments 1. Capstone CheckPoint: Reflections on Nutrition • •
Reflect on what you have learned about the science of nutrition, using the assignments you have completed up to this point as reference. Write a 200- to 300-word response addressing the following questions: ○ ○ What assignment did you enjoy the most? Why? Are there any assignments that you have completed that have affected your life in terms of overall health and nutrition habits? If so, which assignment?
○ How has it affected you? 1. Final Project: Personalized Nutrition and Exercise Plan • •
Describe briefly a current health problem or nutritional need that you are experiencing, or a health or nutrition problem you can foresee experiencing because of your family history. Develop a realistic nutrition and exercise plan to summarize in a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper. Use insights from the MyPyramid Plan Web exercise, the Recommended Dietary Allowances, Recommended Dietary Intakes for your age group and gender, and information from readings. The plan must be plausible enough to be initiated within the next 30 days and continued throughout your life. Include the following:
○ Identification of the health and nutrition problem that may be targeted
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ • • Four nutritional or physical exercise goals Actions taken to meet each goal Anticipated setbacks or difficulties and approaches for overcoming them Outcomes by which to measure success Evidence of the plan’s effectiveness in addressing the identified problem or need Evaluation of potential health risks that may develop if the plan is not implemented
Address how your plan may be adjusted to fit your changing nutritional needs as a result of age, pregnancy (if applicable), or changes in physical capabilities. Include information on physical activities, and how they may be altered to accommodate different seasons of the year and changes in age. Format your references according to APA standards. Post your paper as an attachment.
Summary of Week 9 Deliverables Assignment CheckPoint: Reflections on Nutrition Capstone Personalized Nutrition and Exercise Plan Location Individual forum Individual forum Due Day 4 Day 7