You are on page 1of 15

The Organisational

Iceberg
Abiodun Vintura
Adeyinka Adetona
Darshna Nair
Faderera Adeosun
Karen Romero
Olubusola Olugbile
Oluwaseyi Osibeluwo
Introduction
 "THE THINGS THAT DESTROYS AN
ORGANIZATION LIES UNDERNEATH THE
WATER"
The Organisational Iceberg
 Goals
Formal  Strategy
Organisation  Structure
 Systems & procedures
 Products & services
 Financial resources
Informal  Management
Organisation

 Values, attitudes & beliefs


 Leadership style & behaviour
 Org. Culture & norms of behaviour
 Power, politics & conflict
 3
Definition
• An iceberg
◦ The surface is based on a much deeper (and
bigger) reality, yet this reality is usually
unexamined.

4
Concepts
Freud's Iceberg Model for Unconscious, Pre-

conscious, & Conscious
 According to Freud, there are three levels of consciousness:

 conscious (small): this is the part of the mind that holds what you’re aware of. You
can verablize about your conscious experience and you can think about it in a logical
fashion.
 preconscious (small-medium): this is ordinary memory. So although things
stored here aren’t in the conscious, they can be readily brought into conscious.
 unconscious (enormous): Freud felt that this part of the mind was not directly
accessible to awareness. In part, he saw it as a dump box for urges, feelings and ideas 
that are tied to anxiety, conflict and pain. These feelings and thoughts have not
disappeared and according to Freud, they are there, exerting influence on our actions and
our conscious awareness.  This is where most of the work of the Id, Ego, and Superego
take place.
 Material passes easily back and forth between the conscious and the preconscious. Material
from these two areas can slip into the unconscious. Truly unconscious material cant’ be
made available voluntarily, according to Freud. You need a psychoanalyst to do this!
 Iceberg metaphor for the mind’s layout:
 We can use the metaphor of an iceberg to help us in understanding Freud's topographical
theory.
 Only 10% of an iceberg is visible (conscious) whereas the other 90% is beneath the water
(preconscious and unconscious).
 The Preconscious is allotted approximately 10% -15% whereas the Unconscious is allotted an
overwhelming 75%-80%.
Case Study : Enron
Conclusion