You are on page 1of 12

!

Boone Survey Project Final Summary!


Spring 2014!

As part of the fulfillment of their Historic Documentation course at Appalachian State


University, taught by Kristen Baldwin Deathridge, several students set out to re-survey
properties roughly located in the west half of the Town of Boone, beginning with the
university campus and working outward. Properties were chosen because they were
listed on the North Carolina HPOweb map with question marks. These properties had
been previously surveyed, but their locations were uncertain. This is due, in part, to the
fact that the Town of Boone has renumbered properties along West King Street.!

Among other goals, the students were to verify the location of these properties using
county property tax records. The students received copies of the files that the Western
SHPO had on these properties. They completed new Historic Property Field Data
forms. They were also encouraged to provide copies of deed research on the properties.
Photos were taken at all locations. 5 students worked on the project and were able to
locate 18 properties, although some of those have been destroyed since the last survey.!

Below are the student summaries on each property. These have been only lightly edited.
The current address and survey site numbers have been added to the top of each
summary. Their original summaries are with the digital materials. Please feel free to
contact Kristen at baldwindeathridgekd@appstate.edu with any questions.!

Students who worked on this project: Matthew Bray, Samantha Lane, Christopher
(Beau) Lockard, Andrew Marsh, and Victorial Parnell!

Chapell Wilson House!


WT 0580!
434 West King Street!
The Chapel Wilson house is located on a slope, which overlooks West King St,
with three other houses. There are three sets of stairs going up this slope to the houses
on the slope with one going directly to the Chapell Wilson House, which is the far
western house of the series. It is a craftsmen bungalow style house, which was popular
in the 1920s and 1930s.!
The roof is two cross gable roofs on top of one another, with the bottomprotruding gable facing south and the top-protruding gable facing north. The bottom
protruding gables covers a porch, as is common in a bungalow style residence. Two
brick columns support the porch gable. The front porch gable also has decorative
wooden stickwork. The roof has medium pitch. There are multiple exposed decorative
wooden rafters throughout the eaves. The roof appears to be recently redone and the
green aluminum material matches the other houses on the slope.!
1

The exterior material is brick masonry with wooden fascia. There are twelve oneover-one windows on the west, east, and south elevations. The house appears to be
divided into a duplex with the first floor and second floor being separated. The access to
the second floor duplex is located on the north elevation where a wooden porch has
been built. !
Watauga County tax records show that the house was built in 1925 when the
resident, Chapell Wilson was an administer and educator at Appalachian State Teachers
College, later called Appalachian State University. Deed research revealed that the
house stayed in the Wilson family until Ethel Wilson sold the property in 1982 to Mark
Alberghini. Mr. Alberghini currently leases it to Appalachian State University students.!

Tuff-Kote Building!
WT 0600!
277 Howard Street!
The south elevation, the front faade of the building, is a brick exterior with a
single crow step. The roof is curved. It has two large centered display windows,
comprised of three bay windows, flanked by a smaller display window, comprised of
two bay windows, on each side. There are two glass doors at the east and west corner of
the south elevation. On the second level of the elevation there are twelve six-over-one
windows. There are also six wagon wheel stone medallions between the first and
second level.!
The west elevation has from south to north two large display windows,
comprised of three bay windows, followed by one smaller display window, comprised
of two bay windows, on each side, followed by a single small display window. After
these windows is a double glass door and on the north side of the west elevation, there
is a vent. On the second level, there are fifteen six-over-one windows. There are also
eight wagon wheel medallions separating these two levels, with similar spacing to the
south elevation.!
The north elevation is unadorned with a single small square widow centered in
the second level and with four vents space along the brick exterior. The top is curved,
despite the flat roof. There is one glass door inset back from the brick and just off center.
It appears to be a loading area.!
The west elevation is similarly unadorned just two six-over-one windows on the
north side and a smaller single window just left of them. The windows line up with the
second level of the building. The rest of the elevation is just the brick exterior. !
The whole building is set into a slope with the north elevations door going into
the second level and the doors one the south and west elevation going into the first
level. There is parking on the east, south, and west elevations of the building with a
large parking lot extending from the east elevation for several lots. !
W. Ralph Winkler built the building in 1942 and it operated as a Ford dealership.
It was then leased to Tuff-Kote, who made rustproof paint. It went through several
2

hands after Winkler sold it to Douglas Hollifield in September 1989. In November of


that year, Hollifield sold it to Depot Street Company. In May of 1997, Depot Street Co.
sold to Chrisland Properties. Chrisland Properties sold the property in February of 2002
to Peter and Kimberly Catoe. Then it was sold to Howard Street LLC in 2008. The
building is currently leased to a software company called ECR Software. !

(Former) Town Hall!


WT 0605!
140 Depot Street!
The former Boone Town Hall is a two story brick building, with a mirrored
jerkinhead gable roof on a rear addition. !
The faade is a crow-step, with small pilasters that have cobbled bottoms. The
first story of the faade has one double-door entrance, a single door entrance to the left,
and a garage-door turned window to the right corner. The second story windows (3)
are 9 x4 pane with soldiered headers and rowlock sills. The southern elevation still
boasts 5 bays of windows that have been bricked up.!
Currently the building houses Farmers Hardware Ski Shop on the second story,
with a side entrance on the northern elevation. The bottom story houses two
businesses: Magic Cycles in the main section, and Expressions in a section on the
southern elevation. The entire building is painted brick, with the western elevation
showing signs of a dilapidated mural, and the rear addition part of the southern
elevation showing a mural of mountains that has since been painted over with graffiti.
Originally the building was built by architects from Ford Motor Company in 1914 by Ed
Shipley, who ran the Watauga Motor Company from it. The Watauga Motor Company
was desolved in 1921, at which time the building was sold to a F.C. Ward. In 1937 the
building was purchased by the Town of Boone and used as Town Hall until it was sold
to Farmers Hardware, Inc. in 1967.!
Wilcox Warehouse!
WT 0602!
151, 161, 173 Howard Street!
The building has two floors and runs from an alley parking lot to a restaurant
named Char, which is conjoined with the warehouse. The foundational materials for the
building appear to be brick with a steel frame. It has a flat roof. It has a raised porch
running the length of the south elevation with two handicap ramps and a central
staircase. The entrance to the building is elevated above the street level. !
The faade of the building is the south elevation, facing Howard St. The
warehouse is a combination of multiple buildings through history and it shows in the
south elevation. The exterior material for two-thirds of the building is stucco, while the
other third, being in the center, has a brick exterior. The center brick faade is one crowstep higher than the flanking stucco faade. There are three mission ceramic tile
awnings over the three primary entrances to the Wilcox Warehouse apartments. There
are also ten wagon wheel stone medallions on the center faade above the second floor
3

windows. There are eight wagon wheel stone medallions on the left faade and six
wagon wheel stone medallions on the right faade. The windows and doors seem to
have changed from the original construction to allow for a commercial first floor and a
residential second floor. The second floor windows, all two-over-two windows, appear
to be original while the first floor windows and doors range in style and shape after
multiple alterations. This is most like to help the businesses moving into the first level
spaces and give them some freedom with exterior design. !
The west elevation has an off-white painted brick exterior with three six-over-six
windows off to the south side of the elevation. The paint on this elevation is
deteriorating and allowing the natural brick to show through in spots. The utility
meters are also on this elevation. There is a parking lot on this elevation between the
warehouse, Murphys, and a small creek, which runs parallel with the west elevation.!
The north elevation is in an alley separating the back of the West King St.
buildings and the Howard St. buildings.!
The building is currently owned by Howard St Ventures who lease out the first
floor to business. Currently these businesses are a sushi restaurant, a Thai restaurant, a
teashop, and a community church. The second floor is for student-housing apartments
called Wilcox Warehouse Apartments. Grant Wilcox opened Wilcox Warehouse on
Howard Street in 1944. The business was passed on to his son, Charles Wilcox, and the
building deed was transferred from Grant Wilcox in 1982 to Kenneth Wilcox, Charles
Wilcoxs son. Kenneth Wilcox overtook the neighboring furniture store in 1971 to
expand the business and stuccoed the buildings facades in 1985 to help make the
complex appear to be one building. In 1995, Kenneth Wilcox sold half of the interest of
the property to Roger Wright and formed Wilcox and Wright LLC. Howard St Ventures
bought the building from Wilcox and Wright LLC in 2008.!

(Former) Bus Station!


WT 0612!
186 Depot Street!
The former Boone bus station has been reduced to nothing more than a faade
since this building was last surveyed in 2002. Now, only the eastern and southern
elevations have been reconstructed to create a wall for the courtyard of Appalachian
State Universitys new George C. Beasley Broadcasting Complex. Where doors and
windows were found on the original faade, open entryways to the bricked courtyard
replace them. The exterior stone of the original building was saved after its demolition,
removed to another site, cleaned, and carefully stored until it was re-purposed with the
new Broadcasting Complex. The frame of the faade is actually cement block, visible
from the interior of the courtyard.!
This property was the original location of the old Eastern Tenneessee and
Western North Carolina Railroad train depot prior to it being burnt down. The
property was bought by H.W. Wilcox and his wife from the Linville Railway Company
4

(the local company that operated the Boone branch of the ET&WNC) in 1941. Wilcox
would have the bus depot built four years later, bringing Greyhound service to Boone.
The bus station ceased functioning by the 1970s, when various businesses occupied the
space. In 1980, the entire building was rented from Herman W. Wilcox by the church
Alliance Bible Fellowship. The church continued to the lease the building until 1994
when they formally purchased the property. By 2000, the Alliance Bible Fellowships
congregation had gotten so large that they moved their church and sold the old bus
depot to the university, where it served as an educational building until construction
began on the new Broadcasting Complex in 2011.!

Gruensfelder House!
WT 0534!
200 Moretz Drive (Demolished/now an empty lot)!
Even after receipt of the information packets from the NC SHPO, the
Gruensfelder House was difficult for the project team to identify. All of the other
properties in downtown Boone were familiar to the team, but the photographs of the
Gruensfelder House were foreign. Fieldwork would show why. The day of fieldwork
the team decided to start at the Gruensfelder property located on Moretz Drive and to
work north and east to the Chapel Wilson Home. Moretz Drive is a dead-end road that
branches off of Rivers Street, and there are only a few buildings located along it. !
After using the photograph to position themselves, the project team realized that
a vacant lot now existed where the Gruensfelder Home once stood. Remenents of what
was probably once the homes foundation can be seen through the weeds and saplings
that have taken root there. Photographs were taken of the vacant lot from the same
vantage point original photographs were taken during one of the previous windshield
surveys. Further research in the Watauga County tax records proved a bit daunting, but
with their online map and parcel selection tool showed that the Appalachian State
University Board of Trustees owned the property. This backed previously completed
deed research on the home, which showed the purchase of the Gruensfelder House
form Melvin E. Gruensfelder back in 2004 by the Appalachian State University Board of
Trustees. Gruensfelder was older, and his health was declining. So he sold his property
to Appalachian State University and paid off his mortgage to Watauga Savings and
Loan Association. Sometime after their purchase of the property, Appalachian State
must have had the house demolished. There are no known plans for the property at
this time.!

Roy H. Hagaman House!


WT 0524!
301 Hardin Street (Demolished/now part of Durham Park)!

The Roy Hagaman house was built in 1938 and demolished ca. 2002, along with

most of the historic houses along Hardin St. The area where the house once stood was
bought by ASU and the State of North Carolina in 2003. It has since been turned dug
out and turned to green space as an addition to Durham Park, which was dedicated in
2004 and is located just over Dauph Blan St.!
Wiley Hartzog House!
WT 0525!
300 Hardin Street (Demolished/now student apartments)!
!
Built in 1917, The Wiley Hartzog house is no longer standing, along with most of
the other historic buildings on Hardin St. Hartzog and his wife sold the property to
King Construction in 1992. The construction company then sold it to Steeplechase LLC,
who built a two-story apartment complex offering townhome style housing for
students.!

Miller & Johnson Law Office!


WT 0586!
766 West King Street!
!
The current Miller and Johnson Law Office is a small 1.5 story, gable-end
building with a red brick exterior. The most notable feature of the building is the front
door, which is outlined with cut native stone instead of the red brick on most of the
building. The stones come to a peak above the door, which mirror the gable roof above
it. The eastern side of the building has a gabled dormer window on the roof, and a
bricked up doorway along the first floor wall. There is a long, flat roofed addition
extending from the southern wall of the original building. The split between the two is
hard to notice except for the roof. The western wall of the building is different from the
rest; it has stucco applied to it and painted red in order to match the building adjacent
to it. There is also an original chimney built along this wall, leading to an original
interior fireplace. !
!
Completed over a period of months in the spring and summer of 1938, the
building was originally created to house the law office of Wade E. Brown. Browns law
office went up around the same time that work began on the historic WPA Post Office
and the planning for the Appalachian Theater, both on King Street. Brown was a noted
civic leader of the time, and was a secretary of the Boone Chamber of Commerce.
Browns building was intended to have office space on the first floor, with a small
apartment above. Shortly after the building was completed, a fire broke out and
damaged much of the interior. It was eventually sold in the late 50s, and was
remodeled. The original small fireplace was kept, albeit without its mantle.!

Newland Residence Hall!


WT 0561!
Appalachian State University; corner of Rivers Street & Stadium Drive!

Newland Hall is a thee-story, brick, hip-roof building built on a hill overlooking


Rivers Street, which divides the Appalachian State campus in two. The original 1938
building is a long rectangular structure, with a stairwell on the North and South ends of
the building. Since its construction, the building has been renovated and added on to,
but the original shape of the old building remains intact. An entryway on the eastern
wall constructed during the late 1980s has been further expanded and is now used as a
study room. Entry to the building is now conducted through the southern side of the
new addition.!
!
Newland Hall is the oldest dormitory on campus that is still in operation today.
It was built as a part of a wave of construction that swept through Boone and the ASU
campus during the late 1930s. The building was constructed over a 12 month period
between 1938 and 1939, and was completed after the fall semester had gotten underway
at Appalachian State. The project was a joint venture between the state of North
Carolina and the Works Progress Administration, and was built with a budget of
$80,000. This is the second building named Newland, and was built close by the original
Newland hall. The halls were both named Newland in honor of William Calhoun
Newland, a longtime state senator and lieutenant governor of North Carolina, who
sponsored a bill in the NC General assembly to create the Appalachian Training School
in 1902.!
!

Boone First Baptist Church!


WT 0611!
365 West King Street!
!
Located on the corner of King Street and College St. Built in several parts, the
church in its current condition was finished in 1937. The Student Center and the
secondary chapel were completed in 1964. It features a front gable roof along with a
brick exterior. The stories vary from section to section since it is built on a slant. The
church is also currently undergoing small changes in the rear of the primary building. I
was able to take a few photographs of the new plans. Because the church trustees
purchased the land in 1929, the register of deeds does not have any information about
the property after that date. I have included some information on the land that was
purchased by the church for their original buildings. The majority of information
included in the file came from the church office records, and can be found there upon
request. Church officials have also requested a copy of all findings to add to their own
historical files. There have been some small structural changes since the last survey in
1988. The front of the main sanctuary now has a pipe organ attached to the front wall, a
steeple has been added to the roof, and a small overhang for cars to park under or drop
off parishioners.!
Linney Law Office!
WT 0587!
718 West King Street!

!
Located at 718 W. King Street, on the corner of King Street and Linney Street. It
currently houses a retail/grocery store. It is a two-story, square structure built of
fieldstone, with hidden mortar and a low hip roof in 1922. There have been no
significant structural changes since the last survey done in 1988 The current owners are
Frank L. Coffey and Joyce Coffey, of Pinehurst, N.C., who serve as trustees for the A & F
Coffey Associates, LLC. I was able to research the ownership of the property back to
1923 when Frank. A. Linney purchased the land from W. H. Gragg and wife Annie
Gragg. Further information may be found in Book Y Page 192 of the Watauga County
Register of Deeds, but can only be viewed in person at the Watauga County Register of
Deeds office. The Linney family owned and maintained a significant amount of land
within the town of Boone during the late 19th and early 20th century, and Frank Linney
was a prominent lawyer in the community during that period of time. This building
was the site of his law office during his practice.!
J.L. Storey House!
WT 0516!
261 Pine Street!
!
Located at 261 Pine Street, at the corner of Pine Street and Woodland Drive. The
building features a stone exterior with a front-gable roof and a hall-parlor floor plan. It
was constructed in 1932, with the design being attributed to the original owner, J. L.
Storey. The front porch is half-covered by an arched portico, while the rear entrance is
elevated by an open patio. There also appears to be a cellar entrance in the rear of the
house, but it is unknown if it is in use. The structure of the house remains largely
unchanged from the survey conducted in 1988. The house is currently owned by Gary
Wood Mize and wife Linda Mize of Knightdale, N.C. It is unoccupied during the
majority of the year. I was able to trace the deed history back to 1927 when Jones L.
Storey purchased the land from J. F. Hardin and his wife. The original property was part
of a larger tract of land that was owned by the Storey family, but was eventually broken
up into smaller pieces. J. L. Storey is reported to be responsible for the majority of the
construction work in Boone during the early 20th century.!
Maltba House!
WT 0517!
218 Pine Street!
!
Located at 218 Pine Street, at the corner of Pine Street and Ash Lane. The
building features a plain weatherboard exterior with a side-gable roof and an irregular,
double-pile floor plan. It was constructed in 1915. Woodrow Mckay III and wife Martha,
who reside at the location, currently own the house. I was able to trace the deed history
back to 1913 when F. M. Maltba purchased the land from R. W. Maltba as part of a larger
tract of land. The entity has since been divided and sold to other persons. There have
been significant structural changes since the previous survey in 1988. Two dormers have
been added to the rear roof, which have large bay windows looking into the second
floor. Two French doors and a rectangular window have been built into the den. The
8

front stone steps have been replaced by a wooden deck with railing and wrapped steps.
In the back, a stone wall and set of stairs has been built into the hill leading up to a
gravel driveway. On the far left of the back, an open storage area has been added. A
stone chimney has also been added to the den in the back of the house. Inside, a mudroom has been built onto the back of the bathroom. Both the house and the outbuilding
have been refinished with a different weatherboard, along with a few other minor
decorative changes inside. The owner remarked that they were probably going to cover
the weatherboard with vinyl over the summer.!
St. Lukes Episcopal Church!
WT 0598!
170 Councill Street!
!
WT0598, St. Lukes Episcopal Church, is located at 170 Councill St. This one-story,
Gothic Revival church building has a three-bay faade clad in stucco. A gabled vestibule with a
single lancet-shaped entrance is paired with lancet-shaped windows on either side. The gable
roof is clad in standing-seam metal. The elevations are clad in stucco and contain three lancetshaped windows. A gable-roof ell extends out at the rear of the east elevation. The ell

contains a single lancet-shaped entrance and lancet-shaped windows. The rear contains
a gable-roof extension with lancet-shaped windows.!
!
The building was moved from its original location in 1995.1 The church was
originally located at 205 College St. It was built in May and June of 1940, for $3,431, and
the first service was held on July 7, 1940.2 The congregation purchased land for a larger
church in 1988 and constructed a new building on Council St. In 1995, the congregation
sold the original parcel on College St. to Appalachian State University.3 It appears the
original brick siding was removed prior to transport.!

Chapell-Wilson Hall!
WT 0564!
Appalachian State University; College Street!
!
WT0564, Chapell-Wilson Hall, is located on College St. within the campus of
Appalachian State University. This two-story, T-shaped building has a multi-bay faade
which is clad in random-ashlar stone veneer. The fenestration pattern includes six-oversix windows in single, paired, and banded (five) symmetrical sets, as well as a recessed
pair of single-light doors with transom and side lights. The slightly banked building
contains single six-over-six basement windows along half of the faade. The building
has a hip roof of standing seam metal. The elevations are clad in irregular stone veneer
and contain single six-over-six windows. The northwest elevation contains single six-

The History of St. Lukes, St. Lukes Episcopal Church website, accessed April 2014, http://
www.stlukesboone.org/?page_id=22.
2

Ibid.

Ibid.

over-six windows and a single-light basement door located at street level. A two-story
stairwell has been added to the southeast elevation. The rear portion of the building
has undergone significant unsympathetic alterations including several parapet roofs,
concrete-block additions and an elaborate glass-paneled auditorium entrance.
Additionally, numerous sets of single and paired windows have been enclosed along
the rear of the T-shaped building. !
!
Chapell-Wilson Hall was constructed between 1935 and 1937 in Boone, North
Carolina with funding from the Works Progress Administration.4 It is unknown exactly
when the university acquired the parcel of land on which the school was constructed.
The university acquired numerous small parcels of land during its early history and it is
difficult to determine the original parcel boundaries. The building was originally called
Appalachian High School and served as a demonstration school for Appalachian State
Teachers College (Appalachian State University).5 It served as both local high school
and teacher training facility until 1965 when Watauga County schools were
consolidated.6 Following the closure of the high school, the building was converted into
classrooms and an auditorium for the university. It was renamed Chapell-Wilson Hall
in honor of the longtime school administrator.7 Today, the rear wing of the T-shaped
building houses the Department of Theatre & Dances Valborg Theatre, while the front
of the building remains ASU classrooms.!
Smitheys Department Store!
WT 0584!
877 West King Street!
!
WT0584, Smitheys Department Store, is located at 877 W. King St. This twostory, rectangular building has a multi-bay storefront faade clad in stretcher-bond
brick. The building is constructed of concrete block that was originally clad in stucco.8
The fenestration pattern includes metal-frame storefront windows in sets of three and
four, as well as two sets of paired single-light doors with transoms. The faade contains
a steel-frame awning with a full-width signboard above. A parapet roof is stepped
down to a flat roof in the rear. A single concrete block chimney pierces the flat roof in
the rear. The west elevation abuts the adjacent building. The east elevation is clad in
4

Daniel Pezzoni, ed., The Architectural History of Watauga County, North Carolina (Boone: Watauga
County Historical Society, 2009), 279.
5

Catherine W. Bishir, et al., A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (Chapel Hill:
University of North Carolina Press, 1999).
6

Daniel Pezzoni, ed., The Architectural History of Watauga County, North Carolina (Boone: Watauga
County Historical Society, 2009), 280.
7

Ibid., 280.

Ibid., 307.

10

stretcher-bond brick. The original windows have been bricked over. The rear of the
building is clad in stretcher-bond brick. Several windows have been bricked over;
however there remain several one-over-one and metal-frame windows. A large rollupstyle garage door and a single metal door provide access along the rear. The building
underwent a major renovation in 1980 which included the installation of windows,
awnings, drop ceilings, and brick veneer over the original stuccoed concrete block.9 !
!
The Smithey Department Store building was constructed in 1940 by Nikeard B.
Smithey to house one of his seventeen regional department stores which were
headquartered in Wilkesboro, NC.10 Mr. Smithey regularly acted as his own contractor
for new buildings, often times sketching out plans for the building and supervising the
construction himself.11 The store in Boone was a popular spot, selling a wide range of
home goods and offering customers a small restaurant which served
Smitheyburgers.12 N.B. Smithey and his wife Hattie Little Smithey lived in
Wilkesboro until 1953, when Mr. Smithey died.13 The Smitheys had two daughters
Marie Smithey Kirkpatrick and Margaret Smithey Hayes, both of whom were active in
the family business.14!
Rivers Printing Co., Inc.!
WT 0585!
747 West King Street!
WT0585, Rivers Printing Co., Inc., is located at 747 W. King St. This two-story,
rectangular building has a five-bay faade which is clad in irregular stone veneer on the
ground level and corners. The second-story faade is clad in stretcher-bond brick with
two courses of rowlock below the windows and an outline of headers and soldiers. The
fenestration pattern reads double-door/paired-window/single-window/pairedwindow/double-door. The building contains diamond-patterned leaded glass

Ibid., 307.

10 Russ Pearson, Youthful Recollections of Old Wilkesboro-Part I,The Record, March 3, 2010, accessed
April 14, 2014, http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/newsa.asp?edition_number=541&pg=L.
11Smitheys Department Store, Explore Wilkes website, accessed April 22, 2014, http://
www.explorewilkes.com/smithey.php.
12

Pezzoni, Daniel, ed., The Architectural History of Watauga County, North Carolina (Boone: Watauga
County Historical Society, 2009): 307.
13

Smitheys Department Store, Explore Wilkes website, accessed April 22, 2014, http://
www.explorewilkes.com/smithey.php.
14

Russ Pearson, Youthful Recollections of Old Wilkesboro-Part I,The Record, March 3, 2010, accessed
April 14, 2014, http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/newsa.asp?edition_number=541&pg=L.

11

transoms across the faade. Metal frame storefront windows were added in 1985.15 A
parapet, side-gable roof clad in ceramic tile is stepped down to a flat roof in the rear. A
single brick chimney pierces the flat roof in the rear. The east elevation abuts the
adjacent building. The west elevation is clad in common-bond brick. Ground-level
windows have been bricked in. A full-width, single-story porch with a shed roof has
been added to the rear.!
The Rivers Printing Co., Inc. building was constructed in 1933 to house the
offices of the Watauga Democrat.16 The paper began publication in 1888 and was
operated by R.C. Rivers Sr. until 1933.17 Between 1933 and 1975, the paper was run by
Robert Campbell Rivers.18 In 1975 Rachel Rivers-Coffey and Paul Armfield Coffey took
over.19 They ran the paper until 1994 when it was sold to outside interests. !
The building currently houses Murphys Pub.

15

Daniel Pezzoni, ed., The Architectural History of Watauga County, North Carolina (Boone: Watauga
County Historical Society, 2009), 305.
16

Ibid., 305.

17

A Brief History, Watauga Democrat website, http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/about (accessed


April 2014).
18

Ibid.

19

Ibid.

12