This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
The land of beauty, talent, laughter and songs… Location, Land Area and Population Founded by a Spanish Friar, Baltazar de la Magdalena in 1584, Polangui is located at the North-western quadrant of the third district of Abay Province. It is 552 kilometers south of Manila and 43 kilometers north of Legazpi City. Panoramic View of Mt. Mayon The view of Mayon Volcano is on its perfect side at Polangui. This active volcano stands 2,462 m. above sea level. Polangui is not included in volcano’s danger zone. Electricity and Water Electric power is available 24-hours daily while water supply service is adequate. Market and Solid Waste Management System Polangui has one central market providing all kinds of consumer goods. Food items and products at reasonable rates complemented by several private department stores. The LGU has reliable solid waste disposal system. Transportation Facilities Polangui is at the crossroad of major land transportation routes. Manilabound air-conditioned, de luxe and first class buses of Philtranco, Peñafrancia, Cagsawa, Executive Carrier, RSL, Gold Line and tourist pass this town daily. Legazpi City airport is 25 minutes-drive. Air-con and first class buses and air-con filcab, FX vans for Naga-Legazpi ply daily while jeepneys and motorized tricycles for shorter routes are available daily.
Telecommunication System Polangui has 4 major telephone companies (SOTELCO, MATELCO, BAYANTEL, DIGITEL) providing direct and operator-assisted local, international and long distance calling service. Cell sites coverage include SMART, GLOBE, SUN CELLULAR. Providing cable TV services are ESTV and DCTV. Peace and Order Condition Polangui prides itself for being the most peaceful municipality of Bicol Region with almost zero monthly crime rates. A haven for tourists and investors alike, it is an ideal place to live in. Health Services The present health services of the municipality is administered by a Municipal Health Officers, 2 Public Health Nurses, 1 Medical Technologist, 1 Dentist and 10 Midwives and Barangay Health Workers. Health facilities are centered at the Municipal Health Office and Barangay Health Stations backed up by 2 private hospitals and 14 clinics (Medical, Dental, Children, Optical and OB-Gyne) that provide alternative curative health services to the populace. INCUMBENT MUNICIPAL OFFICIALS Mayor Vice-Mayor Councilors : : : JESUS S. SALCEDA SR. RENATO S. BORJA CHERILIE M. SAMPAL MA. SOCORRO L. SAMBITAN SIMEON S. SAMSON JR. LARRY JOSE S. LAUSINGCO PEDRO JOJO C. SABILLA MAY A. SILO VICENTE JOSE GERARD Z. JAUCIAN NORMAN E. SABAYBAY SHAYNE T. SAMANIEGO (SK) ANIANO REFORSADO (ABC)
BARANGAYS AGOS ALNAY ALAMON AMOGUIS ANOPOL APAD BALABA BALANGIBANG BALINAD BUYO CENTRO OCCIDENTAL CENTRO ORIENTAL CEPRES COTMON COTNOGAN DANAO GABON GAMOT ITARAN KINALE KINUARTILAN LA MEDALLA LA PURISIMA LANIGAY LIDONG LOURDES MAGPANAMBO MAGURANG MATACON MAYNAGA MAYSUA MENDEZ NAPO PINAGDAPUGAN PONSO SALVACION SAN ROQUE SANTICON SANTA CRUZ SANTA TERESITA SUGCAD UBALIW
‘OYANGI’: A TALE OF A BEAUTIFUL TOWN Legend says that the name Polangui was taken from the name of a red-leafed tree called “Oyangui” which is now extinct. The town which was originally called “Binanuaan” was inhabited by about 500 natives and with the baptism of 25 elderly citizens, the place was named Polangui. Another legend which is now the focus of the search for the most beautiful and talented Polangueña, is about the story of a beautiful maiden named “Pulang Angui” which means “Red Maria” (Angui is the nickname of Maria) who loved red colors for dress and whose beautiful body, face and red lips became the object of affection by the males to the point of adoration. She was modest in her ways, talented for possessing various skills, with happy disposition, showing love of art and religiously, she would lead the tribe in festivities. When the Spaniards came, the soldiers who first set foot in Polangui asked for the name of the place. The native thought the foreigners were seeking for the name of “Pulang Angui” and said so. The Spaniards recorded the name as POLANGUI, a concoction of the name which was later on, as years went by, was converted to POLANGUI.
Early Settlers The genesis as to how Pioduran sprang out from the map of Albay was accounted to folklorists. The history started by the assumption of power by the Spanish Army Enrique de Guzman to the Island of Ticao, Masbate and Burias. Seafarers, they could have been lured by the sea, sought new land beyond the sea horizon and migrated along the coast of Panganiran Bay. The spread of the cross toward Christianizing the country made a certain Spanish haciendero, Don Antonio Melleza and half of his men to join the early settlers at the Bank of Panganiran Bay. They too, built their abode in this place and Don Melleza, wanted to expand his realm, made the place a central production of sugar, hence, the vast plain of Caratagan was planted with sugarcane. Finished products including livestock found their way as far as Manila market when trade vessels docked periodically along the Coast of Panganiran River. However, when the clash between the Filipinos and the Spaniards broke out, the sugar plantation and the settlement were burned to sell his acquired ownership to Don Vicente de Vera who then later sold to ExSenator Lorenzo Tañada, who at present, still owns vast tracts of lands. Name of Origin Panganiran was the first known name to early settlers. It was coined by the vernacular “ganid”. With thick groves and giant trees, the place became the favorite habitat of wildlife.Game hunters used to visit the
place and those who lost their track away from their companions would set their rendezvous at the swamps where Marok-barok trees thrived abundantly. “Marokbarok” to wanderers and people became the site’s name. Later on the species name became Malacbalac and this corrupt word was soon named to the place. Creation as Town As population tend to grow in the place, the need to separate the place from its mother municipality, Guinobatan, was the primary hope and concern of its inhabitants. In 1928, Don Hilario Peñaflor and Precillano Osial, both native of Malacbalac, initiated the will to materialize its creation as a town. Attempts however, were set aside blundered by the idea of Congressman Pedro Sabido to concentrate more on the opening of national road bridging Ligao to Pioduran. In 1939, the road project was finally completed. The construction of Ligao-Pioduran road became the turning point for the people of Malacbalac. The success of the project encouraged the trading among the nearby towns. Thus, tempo of economic life quickened for years until World War II affected the place. The Malacbalac dispensary with ten-bed capacity became the favorite garrison of the Japanese soldiers and this forced the people to abandon the said place. In 1946, war was gradually phasing out and the country was busy rehabilitating from the ravage of war. Malacbalac Community School, the first educational school was established at the Sitio Malidong (BArangay1) Twelve years after, secondary schools was organized; the Malacbalac High School (Flores Institute) owned by Mr. Juan Tolosa, Sr.
and later sold to Mr. Antonio Flores and the other was San Lorenzo Academy founded by Ex-Senator Lorenzo Tañada. Meanwhile, Captain Prescillano Osial, a guerilla soldier who served as a municipal councilor of Guinobatan, submitted a petition making Malacbalac a town, to the then Representative Marcial O. Rañola. In 1949, the bill was filed in the Congress but due to his defeat in the next national poll under the republic, the bill named after, acted on the same bill but his untimely death lessened the chance of enacting the bill. Nevertheless, his elected widow Congresswoman Josefina Duran, continue his crusade to the Congress. House Bill 5335 was enacted on June 12, 1963 by Republic Act 3817, otherwise known as an act creating the Municipality of Pioduran in the Province of Albay and signed by President Diosdado Macapagal. Pursuant to Section 2 of the said Act, a plebiscite was held simultaneously with the general election in 1963. The affirmative votes to compose this municipality win. On March 13, 1964, a new municipality in this Province of Albay was officially born. To formalize its recognition, set of local officials were appointed by President Diosdado Macapagal. These officials were either a political protégé or those people worthy of such titles, for having shown their enthusiasm to create the town. Mr. Protesto O. Pavia was appointed as Municipal Mayor; Mr. Ramon Moreno as Vice Mayor and the councilors were Mr. Florencio Granado, Mr. Bienvenido Elaurza, Mr. Amando Millabas, Mr. Anacleto Marquez, Mr. Custodio Patanao and Mr. Cenon Oloya.
Twenty barangays were taken from their mother municipality, Ligao, Guinobatan and Jovellar. From Ligao, nine barangays were taken: Basicao, Coastal, Marigondon, Old Panganiran, Caratagan, Binodegahan, Agol, Cuyaoyao, Flores and Mamlad, Rawis, Oringon, Buyo, Basicao, Interior, la Opinion (Old Nablangbulod) Sukip and Malacbalac. From Jovellar, only Buenavista was taken. Sitios of Tibabo, Sto. Cristo, Salvacion, Matangkad, Lawinon, Alabangpuro, Macasitas and Banawan were supplemented. The promulgation of Presidential Decree 86 under deposed President Marcos whereby Barangays are created within the Barangay I, Barangay II, Barangay III, Barangay IV and Barangay V. Thus, Pioduran now has a total of thirty-two barangays.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.