You are on page 1of 5


Kallal 1 
Joey Kallal 
Mrs. O´Connor 
Global Studies­ 2 
19 November 2015 
The Rwandan Genocide  
The events of the Rwanda Genocide are something that will stick with me forever.   
I remember every event that happened like it was yesterday, even though I wish I could forget it 
all.  There were so many unimaginable events that occurred in this country, but the worst thing 
about the Rwanda Genocide was that I wasn't there to help. 
I was only eight years old when the genocide started, sitting safe and comfortably in my 
rich Hutu family home.  My grandfather was staying with us at that time, due to my 
grandmother’s death.  One rainy afternoon, he began telling me stories about when he was 
young and Belgium had began imperializing this country.  He said that life was very hard for him 
as a Hutu living in Belgium in the 1900’s.  He explained that there were two groups of people in 
Rwanda; the Hutus and the Tutsis.  Both groups of people raised cattle.  Over time, the Tutsi 
had more cattle and became favored in many ways, even though there were more Hutu people 
in Rwanda.  Grandfather said that the Tutsis had better homes, jobs, and living conditions, and 
because of this the Hutus were jealous. He went on to say that when Germany lost their 
colonies after WWI, Belgium took over Rwanda and the Tutsis continued to have all the 
leadership roles. But Rwanda wanted to be free, my grandfather told me.  Because of this they 
began to rebel against the Belgiums, and before they knew it, the Tutsis were demoted to the 
lower class citizens and the Hutus were now in charge of the new government. This pleased my 

Kallal 2 
grandfather’s family, but definitely upset the Tutsi.  My grandfather’s stories made me realize 
that Imperialism was a horrible thing that initiated an even worse event in history. 
     Years and years later, 1994 to be exact, we had finally elected a Hutu president in Rwanda. 
My family and all the Hutus were excited about what this could mean for us.  But then the 
shocking news came that only a short time after his election, our president was shot down in his 
plane.  They are not sure if they will ever know who was responsible for this awful crime.  Now 
things started to get bad for the Tutsis.  The Hutus blamed them for the attack on the president 
and started training militants, creating death lists, and stockpiling weapons to attack the Tutsis. 
The Hutus begin preparing for the genocide. 
     It wasn’t long after that, when I woke up one morning to gunshots in the distance.  I abruptly 
got out of bed and looked outside to see what was going on.  I couldn't see much, but I could 
hear the screams of men, women, and children.  My mother came into my room, grabbed me 
and brought our family together in the safest room of the house.  My dad had left the house 
earlier that morning and I was told he would hopefully be back soon.  But he didn't return. 
Apparently, he had been forced to join the Hutu militia against his will, like most people in 
Rwanda.  The militants that the Hutu had acquired, were put through training on how to kill the 
Tutsis.  One of the worst ways was going up to them and hitting them with a rifle or cutting off 
their head with machetes.   The heads of the militia got weapons, such as rifles and machetes, 
from other countries, that they were able to use to kill the Tutsis.  After the militants were trained 
and the weapons were gathered, the Hutus started making death lists of people.  Most of the 
death list consisted of people of high intelligence and power.  To make sure nobody escaped 
Hutus put up roadblocks on almost every road and only let through Hutus with proper 

Kallal 3 
identification.  Now that the Hutus had everything planned and in place, the genocide started. 
The killings began in Rwanda’s capital, the city of Kigali, and expanded from there.  
      Once again, another rainy day in April started up, and gunfire rang like church bells through 
the air, I sat shivering in my mothers arms in fear of what was to come.  I wanted to see my 
father again and was worried what happened to him.  So my mother and I kept up with the local 
news on the radio.  Mostly everything broadcasted on the radio was hate messaging.  Many 
people that ran the radio stations were broadcasting hate messages calling Tutsis ‘cockroaches’ 
and many other horrible names. Outside our house was even worse, screaming, misery and 
killing was everywhere.  People were being stopped at roadblocks and were asked to provide 
identification to get through.  If they could not, or their card said they were Tutsi, they were 
taken out of their car and killed.  Many were taking refuge in churches, hospitals, and schools, 
trying to hide and avoid being slaughtered.  Unfortunately, the Hutus found them and turned 
these safe places into mass murders.  These people were murdered using machetes, clubs, 
grenades, or rifles.  There were also trucks hauling off loads of dead people, which was for me 
personally the most disturbing.  Many Tutsi’s dead bodies were left to be eaten by animals or 
thrown in lakes. Families homes were broken into and raided in search for Tutsis that were 
hiding out in those houses.  If found, like every other situation, they were killed.  In late April, 
many Tutsis fled to Tanzania.  After 100 long, bloody, death­ filled days, the genocide had finally 
     As I woke up on the day after the genocide I was greeted by my father’s smile.  I almost 
didn’t believe he was there, because he had been gone for over three months.  I had so many 
questions to ask him about the genocide, but I was only able to muster out the question, “​
happened to you?”​
  He said that after his training he had ran away to join the RPF or Rwandan 

Kallal 4 
Patriotic Front, who was only group against the genocide that decided to do something.  They 
were the ones that were able to stop the genocide and end all the killing.  The RPF were a 
trained military group of Tutsis that were exiled years and years ago.  The French also helped 
by establishing a safe zone in part of Rwanda, and slowly the RPF  began to take over the 
country.  In early July 1994, many Hutu people began going to, what is now the Republic of 
Congo, to escape.  The Hutus, as well as the Tutsis, escaped to the refugee camps where 
Americans sent supplies to aid those victimized.  However, little did the Americans know, but 
they were aiding the perpetrators of the genocide.  Americans had not participated in the 
genocide because they either did not think it was a genocide, or they just didn’t want to waste 
the supplies and money on it.  Many countries believed that this feud between these two groups 
was part of a civil war, that they did not want to be apart of.  Other countries knew that a 
genocide was going on, but decided that their money, resources, and time were not well spent 
on Rwanda.  By July 1994, the RPF  had control of the country, and the genocide finally ended. 
What was left was a destroyed country.  There was so much death and destruction everywhere 
you looked.  It was said that over 800,000 people were killed.  Even today Rwandans are still 
prosecuting people who participated in this genocide.   Even the perpetrators are coming 
forward, guilt stricken by what they have done, facing their punishment.  I wasn’t able to help 
during the genocide because I was only a boy.  But now I am able to serve as a judge in the 
trails of the perpetrators.  This gives me pride to know that while I couldn’t help back then, I can 
make a difference in the history and story that lives on of my country.