You are on page 1of 1

Q: There are so many schools in the U.S. How do I decide which schools to apply to?

A: Research your options and define your priorities. Contact the EducationUSA advising center nearest you
and browse college search engines online.
Q: What’s the difference between a college and a university?
A: Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well, but the
terms are often used interchangeably.
Q: What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?
A: Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor
program. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.
Q: What is a community college?
A: Community colleges are typically state-supported & provide the first two years of a four-year
undergraduate degree.
Q: Why should I attend community college?
A: Community colleges offer lower costs, easier admission policies, close ties to state schools, and many of
the required courses connected to a degree.
Q: How do you transfer from a community college to a four-year university?
A: The transfer process varies for each school. It is best to target the four-year institution early and
determine what is needed to transfer.
Q: What are English language proficiency requirements?
A: U.S. universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read,
write, and speak fluently.
Q: When do you declare a major?
A: You do not declare a major until the end of you second year of school.
Q: What is a liberal arts college?
A: A liberal arts college offers courses in humanities, languages, math, social and natural sciences, and
students take 25-50% of their courses in their major.
Q: What are the benefits of a liberal arts education?
A: A liberal arts college offers a smaller setting, teaches critical thinking and communication skills
necessary in an ever-changing job market.
Q: What is a GPA?
A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student's academic performance, calculated on a
scale of 4.0.
Q: What is the difference between state and private universities?
A: State universities are funded by the state and are generally larger and less expensive than private
Q: How can I apply for vocational training in the United States?
A: U.S. institutions cannot issue I-20 forms for non-degree study, including vocational training. Community
colleges offer technical/vocational study for an associate's degree.