Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties

HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM
Note: For properties 35 years old and newer, starred (*) sections are the only required fields.
*County
Lane
*Street Address
507 W. 11th Ave

*City
Eugene

USGS Quad Name:

Township:
17

GPS Reading, UTM Format:
44° 2' 52.4148'' N
123° 6' 2.1888'' W
Range:
3NW

Section:
31

Historic Name
Goodard House
Date of
Construction:
1925

Block / Lot:
6/10

Tax Lot #
06500

Grouping or Cluster Name:
Other Names

Historic Use of Function
Single family, residential

Current Use
Single family,
residential

Architectural Classification:
English Cottage

Plan Type / Shape:
Rectangular

Number of Stories
2

Foundation Material:
Poured concrete

Structural Framing:
Wood

Moved?
N

Roof Type / Material:
Asphalt shingle, jerkenhead
Exterior Surface Materials Primary:
Wood, lapped

Associated Archaeological Site:
N/A

Window Type / Material: 6 divided
casement windows, 9:1 double hung
Secondary:

Decorative:
Full height porch
columns, rolled
eaves, Tudor arch,
chimney

Exterior Alterations or Additions, Approximate Date:
None
Number and Type of Associated Resources:
Two car detached garage on the North side of home
Integrity:

Condition:

Researcher / Organization:

Local Ranking:
SHPO #

National Register Listed?
Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM
Good

Good

Yes

No

Unknown

Preliminary National Register Findings:
Potentially Eligible:
Not Eligible:

Individually

or

As a contributing resource in a District

Intact but lacks distinction or

One)

Not 50 years old or

Altered (Choose

Reversible / potentially eligible
individually or in a District
Reversible / ineligible, lacks
distinction
Irretrievable lack of integrity
* County:
* Lane

Street Address:
507 W. 11th Ave

City:
Eugene

Description of Physical and or Landscape Features: [Required for Intensive Level Surveys]
(Use Additional Sheets if Necessary)

This two-story, rectangular in plan, English Cottage style home is located at 507 W 11 th Avenue and
was constructed in 1925. The foundation is poured concrete. The roof is covered with asphalt shingles,
and is a jerkinhead in form. The primary wall cladding is lapped wood and the secondary siding is
stucco. Characteristic features include the full-length concrete porch on the front entry, rolled eaves,
Tuscan styled columns, and the Tudor-style archway along the entry. The chimney located on the East
side of the house, is of a stucco material. The landscape of the home is full of smaller hedges lining the
front of the house with larger bushes and trees on the West and North end of the home. There are no
additions to this home, but there is an attached structure, a garage with wood siding and a front gable
roof located on the North side of the home.

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM
Photo: [Required for Reconnaissance and Intensive Level Survey Resources]

Photo 1: Façade of the home (South side of home)

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM

Photo 2: Taken from East side of the home
Site Plan:

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM

Note: This page of the survey for is required for Intensive Level Survey
*County:
Lane
Street Address:
507 W. 11th Ave

City:
Eugene

Architect and/or Builders:
Believed to be Earl H. Goddard

Owner Type:
Private

Local

State

Federal

Mixed

Additions or Subdivision Name:
Elias Stewart Addition

Owners Name(s):
Thomas C Nesbit & Sarah E Cantril
Address:
84540 Thomas Judson Rd, Eugene, OR 97405

Area(s) of Significance:
Criterion C: Architecture

City, State, Zip:
Eugene, OR, 97401

Property Category:
Building

Phone Number(s):
Not listed

Structure

Site
Object

District

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM
Documentation
Research Resources:
Title/Deed Records
Sanborn Maps
City Directories
Census Records
Biographical Encyclopedias

Obituary

Personal Interviews

University Library (specify):
University of Oregon; Special Collections

Index
Newspapers
Tax
Records
SHPO Files
State

Building Permits

Archives
State
Library

Local Library (specify):

Historical Society (specify):
Lane County Historical Museum; historic
photographs
Other (specify):
www.ancestory.com
www.oregonencyclopedia.org

Local

Histories
Historic
Photos
Bibliographic References (Books, articles, interviews, etc.)
SHPO Files: State Historic Preservation Office; Salem, Oregon.
Tax Records: Lane County Assessment & Taxation Property Information
Maps: Sanborn Maps 1925
Directories: Polk Directory, Lane County: 1924, 1933, 1934, 1941, 1945, 1952, 1960, 1965
United States Census: 1920, 1930
Other: “Eugene Streetcar System” A Project of the Oregon Historical Society.
http://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/eugene_streetcar_system/#.VSyQ8RPF_3p

Statement of Significance:
This house, known as the Dunbar House, is located at 507 W. 11 th Avenue and was constructed in
1925. This building is significant for it’s architecture; being built in the English Cottage style. The
specific architectural features that pertain to the English Cottage style are the rolled eaves and Tudorstyle arched entryway. The significance of this house is further bolstered due to its exemplary English
Cottage style on a street that largely consists of Craftsman Bungalows.
Historically, the neighborhood of Jefferson-Westside began developing in the 1910’s. According to 1925
Sanborn Maps, a large percentage of the current building stock existed then as well. This was likely

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded:

Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties
HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY FORM
due to the fact that (East & West) 11th Avenue was one of four routes within the Eugene Streetcar
System. According to Lane County’s “Official Record of Descriptions of Real Properties”, the earliest
date recorded for this property is 1941. The property is within the Elias Stewarts Addition. The Eugene
Westside Survey Completion Survey & Inventory Project stated that Elias Stewarts heirs owned the
land/property until 1914. In 1924, Earl H. Goddard built the house and lived there in 1925, as noted in
the 1925 Lane County Directory. The 1933 Lane County Directory shows ownership of the house
changing to Harry C. Mitchell. Through accessing 1945, 1952, and 1965 Lane County Directories, it
was found that the home was owned by the Mitchell family for a great deal of time. Further research will
need to be done in order to determine just how long the family has owned the property.

Researcher / Organization:

SHPO #

Date Recorded: