You are on page 1of 4

Journal Entries

My first day on the floor was one to remember as the nerves began to kick
in as my professor began to assign us. I was eager for the chance to be on an
acute care floor, but did not get so lucky. Marisela, my preceptor for the day,
greeted me kindly and motioned to sit by her while she checked he WOW.
She then took me to retrieve meds from the Omnicell and administer which
was a little nerve racking when having to perform for new, unfamiliar people.
All was successful and we sat back in our little charting room while my nurse
charted and chatted, as was the law of this unit. Everyone huddled in this little
room to do just that, chart and chat. Ranging from complaints of patients or
co-workers, to their new weight loss journeys. I secretly longed for the thrill of
the trauma center in which I had just finished my Advanced Medical Surgical
Rotation. However, I took my assignments and did my best to keep my
patients happy. Just like I always say, a happy patient is a happy nurse.

Dont you ever start to dislike a name because you had previously met a
person with the same name that you did not get along with? Well, Jade,
todays preceptor, turned me a complete 180 as she permanently molded my
view of the name Jade. She was one of the kindest persons I ever did meet
with the face as beautiful as a geisha. As part of our introduction to each
other, she started the day with one question: how many patients do you want

to take over? I zealously and hastily reacted with a proud but questioning All
of them? So there I went, nursing student gone full fledge nurse, onto my
assessments, meds, and then charting. I am so grateful for the Trauma
nurses for the documenting tips because I whizzed by the rows and columns.
Of course, Jade helped, but was proud with my handy work as she checked
my documentation. Today had truly felt like an act of victory and a step
towards my future.

Professor Nitti was awesome enough to reassign me today to SICU, and
though as intimidating as all the bells and whistles, and pumps and line I
found myself loving the SICU. The unit really brought to light the term
Interdisciplinary team as everyones hands were on deck and willing to help.
My loving preceptor, Rebecca, filled me with her knowledge of 11 years of
ICU experience from three different states. Without hesitation she would talk
to the doctors and questions their orders or would make suggestions on what
to order.
As the day grew on, our dedication to our patients began to show as their
lung sounds became clearer. Without the help of a UAP due to a shortage, we
cleaned out patients, repositioned them every two hours, and took their blood
sugar. The IV lines and multiple pumps and tubings became less and less
intimidating; especially with Rebecca by my side coaching me on and really
showing me what it is to be a nurse in all its back breaking glory. We were so
occupied in the care of the patients that when 6:30 rolled around, we began
charting. I took one patient and Rebecca took another as we flew past the

bodily systems until Nitti came a knocking and my beautiful day seemed to
reach a sad end departing from the unit, and from my patients.

Second day on the SICU and boy, was I excited. I arrived approximately
15 minutes early to snag my favorite nurse. Once on the floor, Rebecca and I
flew to our patients bedsides and began our hard days labor. We suctioned,
we moved, we turned, we gave meds, we fixed, and charged on as the tag
team duo; this time our strategy was for me to do the hands on and Rebecca
to chart as to not get caught on the last minute run to finish the race towards
completed documentation. As multiple professors once said IF YOU DIDN.T
CHART IT, YOU DIDNT DO IT. We did our due diligence and the end of the
day met with our senses of success. Our patients were happy, lung sounds
were clear, and our hearts were beating with content. One very important
thing I did take with me that day though, a smile and a couple of ears can go
a long way. One of our patients wife was passed on through report as
horrible and needy and high maintenance, but what she really was just a
wife who wanted the best for her sick husband. With just a smile and a pair of
ears, I listened to her needs and her stories. The more I listened, the more
she eased on us. She admitted many things to me, and was just a worried
wife with a sick husband. As nurses, we care for the patients, but with the
patients come their families, and they mean so much to the improvement of
the patient. So as said before a happy patient, is a happy nurse.

Today was not greeted with the same enthusiasm as the previous days as
my preceptor did not start off wanting a student. It soon escalated to an upset
with the night shit nurse, him proclaiming I was on observation only, and to
now touch anything. My great strides towards a future, confident nurse
regressed me towards a corner, as my preceptor was not having it. I tried
eagerly to help by fixing the sheets, throwing out what I thought was an old
cup of water, and helping my preceptor by putting a half full colostomy
container on the side while transporting a patient. This was only met with
disapproval as my preceptor repeated aggressively Do not touch anything
over and over again, and when he rushed to get something and almost
knocked over the container I had no where else to put it was only replied to
with anger. I ended up on some sort of child-like punishment at the foot of
patients doors and standing in the corners of the hallway on a its okay, just
stay here basis.
However, the day turned to light, as I was able to be relocated to the
Neuroscience ICU. Hazel, my new preceptor, was this small woman with so
much energy with all of her patients. Around my transfer time till the end of
the shift, there was not much to do, but all was done and the patients were