Amrita School of Ayurveda
Cosmetology & Ayurveda
Concept and Practice
Dr Ananth Ram Sharma
MD Panchakarma, (PhD).
Presented at CME on Cosmetology organized by AMAI Kollam district committee on 18/07/10
Department of Panchakarma
I will take you to…….
Concept of Beauty Factors Affecting Beauty What is Cosmetology Cosmetic conditions and remedies Conclusion
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart
~ Kahlil Gibran~
What you mean by Beauty ?
• Beauty consciousness and the knowledge of application of different beautifying materials is as old as human existence on this earth. • Concept of beauty may vary from …. • Beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, Place, object or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction. Beauty is studied as part of aesthetics, sociology, social psychology and culture. • An "ideal beauty" is an entity which is admired, or possesses features widely attributed to beauty in a particular culture, for perfection.
Concept of Beauty in Ayurveda
• Ayurveda holds a clear concept of Beauty. • More precisely it can be said that physical, mental and spiritual Beauty as a combined unit projects the Cosmetic sense of Ayurveda. (Ch.Su.1/41)
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
~Hellen Keller ~
How to determine Beauty
• Prakruthi – Based on body constitution • Sara – Based on most nourished Dhatu. • Samhanana – Based on compactness of body. • Twak – Based on the factors like Varna, Prabha and Chhaya. • Pramana - Based on body measurements. • Dirghayu Lakshanas – Based on the signs of long life.
Beauty in its Physical aspect
• People always look for the external beauty which can be corrected by Ayurveda. • The physical beauty depend on, Contours of body Texture of skin Quality of hairs & nails • Before the birth itself the beauty of a person is determined. Which points out to the necessity of understanding the beauty under the genetic parameters.
Genetic Factors of Beauty
• Matruja and Pitruja Bhavas • Factors which contribute from the maternal and paternal side. • This happens at the time of the Sukra Shonita Samyoga union of Sperm and Ovum.
“It is not beauty that endears, it's love that makes us see beauty” ~Tolstoy~
• Panchamahabhutas. • Agni with Jala and Akasha -Fair color. • Agni with Pritvi and Vayu -Dark Color. • All the 5 elements – tanned. • Depending on Colour of Shukra • White/ Ghee like - Fair • Oily/ Like Honey - Dark • Diet of mother • Milk & sweets - Fair • Sesame & Junk foods - Dark • Desha, Kala,Kula and mode of living
Beauty is not just a source of joy, but also relaxes the mind, and gives confidence
Why Beauty Care
• The skin is the largest organ in the body. It is our first line of defense from disease-causing organisms in the environment. The conditions on inside and outside of the body affect its health. • Given this knowledge, there are Uncontrollable and Controllable Factors that we need to be aware of so that we keep our skin healthy.
Natural aging Sun Humidity Temp./climate Air pollution
Exercise Water Sleep Nutrition Stress
• Cosmetology (from Greek κοσμητικός, kosmētikos, "skilled in adornment"; and -λογία, '''') is the study and application of beauty treatment. Branches of specialty including hairstyling, skin care, cosmetics, manicures/ pedicures, and electrology.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Achamana Abhyanga Snana Nasya • • • • • • • •
Removes Sebaceous Secretion Cools Body Improves glow of the skin Moistens the skin Maintain Luster Removes Dirt Prevents Premature Graying Provides Strong shoulder & chest Well formed cheeks Strengthens facial muscles Improves visual perception Makes layers of eye distinct Removes excess fat Improves complexion Provide proportionate body Make the muscles well formed
Gandusha & Kavala • • Anjana Udvartana Vyayama • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • Shodhana pralepa Ropana pralepa Katinyakara pralepa Mardavakara pralepa Savarneekarana Lepa Varnakara Lepa Roma Sanjanana Lepa Twak Karshnyakara Lepa
• Kamya Rasayana for your Skin • Achara Rasayana and Sadvritta for mental beauty
Bakuchi Bhallataka Loha Amalaki Jyotishmati Priyala Bhringaraja Manjishta etc.
Narasimha Rasayana Amruta Bhallataka Kalyanaka Gulam Sukumara Ghrutam Amruta Prasham
Dry Skin Krishneekarana • External Applications • Bhallataka • Sukumara gritam • Gajalinda Bhasma • Narasinha Rasayanam • Gomutra with Nimba Lepa Varnyakara Brings normalcy Varnya gana Eladi gana Nalpamaradi Keram Manjishtadi Kashayam
• Pigmentary Disorders • • Ishtika Churna + Manjishta • • Manjishtadi Kashayam • • Arogyavardhini Vati •
Feet-Dry And Peeling • Amlika Twak Bhasma with Taila • Ketaki Patra Bhasma with Taila • Pada Nimajjana (Remove the Debris)
Romapaharama • Haratala, haridra • • • • Scars Jalaukavacharana Madhu Lepa Kasisadi Tailam Tutham with Tailam
Stana vardhaka • Ashvagandhadi Taila • Vidari Kandham • Kalyanaka Gulam
Oily Skin Sunburn • Eladi gana Lepam • Avoid further damage with Arikkadi • Nalpamaradi Keram • Maha tiktakam Gritham int & ext. • Vamanam Warts • Eranda Taila Massage • Dronapushpi Swarasa Application Stretch Marks • Dhanyaka kalka + navaneeta • Rub with Gomay churna then lepa with Triphala Churnam
• Taila Panam • Udwarthanam • Gomutra Hareetaki • Sthaulyahara Yavagu • Snehapanam • Virechanam
Hygiene is as important as cosmetic application. Beauty is not achieved by one day but it should be enhanced or maintained by following the daily regimens mentioned in Ayurveda. Rasayana has important role in the enhancement of beauty. Ayurveda has a rich knowledge of cosmetics which can be applied for the day to day needs. Don’t go behind the Spa therapies, instead of that can utilize the hidden treasures of Ayurveda and upgrade yourself. Page 19
“Na Matra Matramapyatra Kinchit Agama Varjitam”
Dr. Sharma’s Ayurveda Concepts