This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Z GRAMATYKI ANGIELSKI J
przewodnik dla maturzyst6w, olimpijczyk6w i kandydat6w na studia filologiczne
WYDAWNICTWO SZKOLNE PWN WARSZAWA 2002
Z GRAMATYKI ANGIELSKIEJ
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
przewodnik dla maturzyst6w, olimpijczyk6w i kandydat6w na studia fi lologiczne
. " .
1-60 " " " .
Testy 61-100 .
... " , " " .
Klucz do test6w wyboru .
Klucz do test6w tlumaczeniowych.
adjectives and adverbs " . " " .
article " " " .
be - various points .
conditional " .
emphasis " " .
imperatrve " .. " .
indirect speech. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
modal + infinitive ..... III ••••••••••••••••••••••••
modal + perfect infinitive ...
passive voice ..............................•..............
past perfect .
212 216 220 222 225 230 235 235 238 239 240 241 242 245 247 250 253
past simple ... phrasal verbs.
prepoSI tlons .
present perfect. present tenses ..
relative clauses .
sequence of tenses .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .
J8k dobrze wykonywa6 testy ttumaczeniowe .
254 257 259 262 263 265 268 272 274 274 283 283
100 TESTOW Z GRAMA1YKI ANGIELSKIEJ to obszemy wyb6r egzaminacyjnych zadan testowych na poziomie od srednio zaawansowanego do zaawansowanego. Ksi~ka ma ulatwic przygotowanie do egzamin6w - tych wymienionych w tytuJe oraz innych, 0 He zawieraja test gramatyczny. Nowoscia w stosunku do wiekszosci publikowanych zbior6w test6w jest sciste pol Cl c zen i e k 1 u c z a z k 0 men t a - r z e m g ram a t y c z n y m. Kaidy punkt klucza obok podania poprawnego rozwiazania odsyla do jednej lub wiecej sposrod ponad 150 szczegolowych regul przedstawionych w komentarzu. Dzieki temu uezen nie tylko otrzymuje odpowiedz poprawna, lecz takze dowiaduje sie, dlaczego tej wlasnie, a nie innej farmy nalezy uiyc. Klucz do zadafi polaczony z komentarzem gramatycznym pelni zatem role kompetentnego korepetytora - slowo PRZEWODNIK w podtytule ksiCliki nie jest wiec pustym ozdabnikiem.
Testy podzielone Set po polowie na testy wyborn i tlumaczenia. Ich uklad nie jest przypadkowy - w obu czesciach mozna wyr6mic cztery cylde test6w: pierwszy, zawierajacy 14 test6w i nastepne trzy - po 12 test6w. Poszczeg61ne cykle maja podobny stopien trudnosci, przy czym kazdy zawiera wiekszosc problem6w gramatycznych omowionych w komentarzu. Przechadzenie przez kolejne cylde daje wiec uczniowi okazjt; do stopniowego podnoszenia poziomu znajomosci gramatyki, a wraz z tym pozbywania sie bledow. Nawet uczniowie startujacy z poziomu niezbyt zaawansowanego maj'l szanse, praeujac tym trybem, dokonac znacznego postepu w praktycznej znajomosci gramatyki. Rzecz jasna, warunkiem jest state korzystanie z wyjaSniefl gramatycznych.
Komentarz gramatyczny stanowi osobna cz~sc ksiazki i mozna don siegac niezaleznie od wykonywania testow. Korzystanie z niego nie wymaga uprzedniego opanowania wyspecjalizowanej tenninologii, wystarczy znac jedynie najbardziej podstawowe pojecia typu podmiot, przymiotnik czy zdanie glowne i podrzedne. Wszystkie inne terminy sa na biezaco wyjaSniane i obficie ilustrowane przykladami. Szczeg61nie duzo miejsca poswiecono tym zagadnieniom, kt6re sprawiaja trudnosci polskim
uczniom. W takich przypadkach wskazuje sie typowe bledy popelniane przez uczacych sie,
Podrecznik nadaje sicr do wykorzystania zarowno w samoksztalceniu, jak i w nauczaniu grupowym. Opr6cz standardowego wykorzystania do powt6rek i kontroli nauczyciel moze uiywac zadaf testu w roznego rodzaju Cwiczeniach odwolujacych si~ do Swiadomej wiedzy gramatycznej ucmi6w. Przyldadem takiego Cwiczenia moze bye wyszukiwanie moiliwych kontekst6w dla blednych odpowiedzi w tescie wyboru. Z kolei osoby uczace sie samodzielnie moga uiyc zadan tJumaczeniowych do Cwiczenia sprawnosci mowy. Po dokladnym sprawdzeniu wykonanych tlumaczen, mozna Cwiczye m6wienie na glos (patrzac tylko na wersje polska), ai do osiagniecia zadowalajacego poziomu plynnosci.
Znaczna cz~se zamieszczonych tu test6w uzyta byla wczesniej na egzaminach wstepnych na filologie angielska oraz W olimpiadzie jezyka angielskiego. Wiele zadan zostalo zmodyfikowanych ze wzgledow redakcyjnych. Zmiany te nie mialy jednak wplywu na reprezentatywnosc test6w - tak pod wzgledem trudnosci zadafi, jak i ich doboru.
1. They were travelling on the same train so they . But, of course, we don't
know if they did.
Ai could meet BI should probably meet C/ might meet DI may have met
2. I'm afraid very few people know about the concert and almost no one will come.
If only the posters on time.
N were hanging BI were hung CI had been hung DI were hanged
3. Although at that time my knowledge of German was vel}' poor, I most
of what they said.
Ai didn't understand BI have understood
C/ managed understand D/ did understand
4. You know how upset she was that night. You her everything was all
right. Why were you so cruel?
N should tell B/ ought tell CI may have told DI could have told
S. For a person who has Harvard, she has a rather low salary.
Ai graduated B/ graduated on C! graduated from DI graduated at
6. Friday will be a bad day for me - I have an extra session and maybe a press
conference. I wish your mother on Saturday or Sunday. But I know it's
not your fault.
N were coming BI didn't come C/ came 0/ had come
7. All right, Bob. First the floor. Then tell them to water the garden.
N make some of your friends to sweep C/ have a few of your friends to sweep
BI have a few of your friends sweep D/ order some of your friends sweep
8. "So finally, when shall we meet?"
'Any time you wish. Of course, only after you the matter with Mr Gray."
Ai will settle Bf have settled C/ shall settle OJ will have settled
9. Samuel his collection. I can imagine his wife's fury if he does.
N may have to sell Bf may have sold CI could have sold D/ must have sold
10. It's time to say goodbye. Well, I'm looking forward you all again
NW~~ WOO~~ ow~ Ww~~~
11. So you're quite sure that I the bill myself? But, listen, no one had told
me that before. And, besides, when the meal was over, they all very willingly handed me their shares.
AI would pay BI ought to pay C/ must have paid DI was to pay
12. Since, at the very beginning, he showed some inclination towards laziness, he ___ of all his duties. Afterwards he worked very well.
AI must have reminded C/ had to be reminded
8/ had to remind
D/ must have been reminded
13. I must say I didn't regret when I heard that Bob Hope was being recalled from
the Committee. He my views ever since he became a member. I didn't
know I would be leaving only two months after him.
AI has opposed BI had been opposing C/ was opposing DI has been opposing
14. Within hours following the crisis the price of coffee 80 cents a barrel.
AI rose BI has risen CJ raised DI was rised
15. The auction turned out to be a tremendous success in spite of the fact that there ___ manuscripts than originally planned.
AI were a few less B/ were slightly fewer C/ were not so many D/ was the least
1. They've faxed me I should stay till they a replacement. Well, last time
it took two weeks.
N found B/ will find C/ find D/ had found
2. What about for us? It might be quite interesting, I suppose.
AI to have some of them working C/ to make some of them work
81 making some of them work DI having some of them work
3. Thank God Sue came on time! the keys without her?
AI Would you find CI Could you find
BI Would you have found
D/ Would you be able to find
4. You are a smoker yourself, Mr Parker. How did you find out someone _
in your study?
AI bad been smoking C/ has been smoking
B/ was smoking
DI had to be smoking
5 .. At the first sound of the plane engine the soldiers to their feet.
N sprung Bf sprang CI had sprung Df have sprung
6. Believe it or not, but these girls that Elvis Presley will be remembered
as the greatest musician of the 20th century.
AI are really thinking Bf really are thinking C! do think Df think really
7. I wish they alone when the operation begins.
AI haven't been B/ wouldn't be CI won't be Df hadn't been
8. One of the men was lying on the ground after down by a piece of rock.
AI knocking Bf was knocked C/ knocking him Df being knocked
9. There are still six days to go before the deadline, and so a few of the top players ___ to stay away. Let's hope not too many of them will.
A! will still decide Bf can still decide C/ may have decided Df might still decide
10. "Can we use the court now?"
"Not yet. But as everything is ready, we can start as soon as they "
AI fmished Bf have finished C/ will finish Df will have fmished
11. "I always admire your lawn, Mr Preston. I guess you must cut the grass almost every day."
"Well, I'm often away for a week or longer, but of course, I must H
AI have been cutting it regularly C/ have it cut regularly
Bf have cut it regularly Df have regularly cut it
12. "We were ten minutes late." "Well, it's surprise to me."
AI none B/ hardly Cf not Df no
13. I really think there's no need to be sorry. The Rangers were so good that it was
not possible to beat them anyway. Even if you and George better in the
N had played Bf would play C/ did play Df have played
14. She counts on Tom far too much. She doesn't take into account the possibility
that he her, in spite of his willingness to do so.
AI might not be able to help C/ can't have helped
Bf may not have helped Df may not want to help
15. Mr Linn has never reappeared in the town since the day his house down.
AI has been burnt Bf had burnt Cf burnt Df has burnt
1. She you that evening. You should have told her everything.
AI would help BI was there to help C/ must have helped 01 wished helping
2. The boy must have learnt a little Spanish during his stay as he the fax.
N did understand
CI managed understand
B/ could bardly understand OJ understood anything of
3. Since, for some time to come, her promotion back, they decided to
offer her a new car in compensation.
Al has been held BI WJlS holding C/ must have been held OJ had to be held
4. The collision occurred at five in the morning. Soon afterwards one of the ships
AI sank B/ has sunk C/ has sunken D/ sunk
5. I didn't know what to think of it, so I suggested again.
AI watching her being performing C/ watching her perform
BI to watch how she performs 01 to watch her perform
6. How very lucky you were! You in the crowd.
N could get lost BI could have lost C/ didn't lose 01 could have got lost
7. He made all sorts of beautiful plans for his tour without taking into consideration
the possibility an entry visa.
AI of refusing B/ to be refused C/ of refusal of 0/ of being refused
8. The reception given by the Adlers before their departure for the States was
a very sad event for us. They our closest friends since they came to live
in our town.
Ai were B/ had been C/ have been 0/ have become
9. Ursula and less bad their little differences at the beginning of their work but now
they seem to be quite nicely.
AI getting along BI getting through C/ doing up 0/ doing by
10. I left my office at four because I was sure Mr Atkins wouldn't come. Now I wish
I for him.
N would have waited B/ did wait CI had waited D/ would wait
11. I found the idea identical dresses very eccentric.
AI to make them all wear
c/ of making them aU wearing
HI of making them all wear
Df to make them all to be wearing
12. "Is it true you plan to hold a press conference?"
"Yes, as soon as the first results known. It's important to be quick."
AI will be Bf will have been CJ are DI were
13. Db, if I about it a little earlier ... Why didn't you teU me?
AI knew B/ had known C/ could know Of did know
14. We shouldn't think about new computers before installing system in
AI the reliable heating C/ a reliable heating
Bf more reliable beating 0/ reliably heating
15. What's wonying me is that it's been two weeks since I by a hamster and
my arm is still swollen.
AI have been bit B/ have been bitten CI was bit DI was bitten
1. I don't know
AI why did they all look so sadly
CJ what did it make them look so sad
B/ why they all looked so sad Of why they all looked so sadly
2. When I met Walters about two years before his death he didn't seem satisfied.
He no major book since he settled in Uganda.
AI bas published B/ could have published C/ had published DI published
3. Now I know we were just too tired. Even with your help we iL
AI shouldn't finish B/ wouldn't be able to finish
CJ wouldn't have finished 01 wouldn't finish
4. "When will they start packing?" 44The moment you . But no sooner
N let them go BI will let them to go CJ will let them go 01 let them to go
S. I don't think I might agree you have said.
N with what BI with that what C/ with that Df that which you
6. "I understand you have been reading aU the boys' letters. Since when?"
"Since they to me about their weekend plans."
Ai laid B/lied C/ have lied DI have laid
7. Won't you be able to the doctor afterwards?
Ai to make her talking B/ to get her talk
CI to get her to talk DI and make her talk
8. It is hard to say when the new line will start to bring in a profit. The company's
spokesman has revealed recently that it a year before they actually stop
N would take Bf will have taken CI can take DI might take
9. Don't believe Peter. He Steve's camera after the game. I was not the
only one to have seen it.
N bas been using BI were using CI did use DI may have used
10. A broken leg and some slight injuries! Wasn't he lucky? Just think about the
consequences if he at the moment of the crash.
CI was smoking
B/ would be smoking Of had been smoking
11. The same thing happened a few years earlier when, after ten days of rain, most
nvers their banks.
N overflew BI have overflown C/ have overfled 01 overflowed
12. I'm not lazy but I think we have public holidays. We ought to have
N too little Bf too few CI rather a few DI fairly little
13. As a small boy he was used to in the house for an hour or two.
Ai leaving alone B/ being left alone CJ leave alone Df be left alone
14. I don't think playing ball weather is much fun.
Ai in wet Bf during the wet CJ in a wet 0/ through a wet
15. I didn't see it myself, but of course, if he so rude to Ann, he'll have to
apologise to her next time she's here. That's all I can say.
Ai was 81 would be C/ were DI is
1. I appealed to the readers hoping that I would be able to gather at least _
in the case of Blair Castle.
N as many informations as CI as much information as
B/ similar informations like 01 as much information like
2. It seems to me that Walter didn't pay all supposed to pay.
AI which he BI which he had C/ what he was D/ he was
3. It's a tremendous task so I'm rather pessimistic about Roger's chances. Even if
he how to begin.
A! shows B/ has shown C/ were shown Df showed
4. They married for two years or so when Roy employed a very attractive
Indian secretary in his Glasgow office.
N only have been BI were only C/ have only been DI had only been
S. Frankly speaking I was a bit surprised myself. I didn't expect before
AI my finishing BI to fmisb C/ finishing D/ being able to finish
6. Don't blame me for what I did differently in my place?
AI Would you have acted C/ Would you act
B/ Wouldn't you act DI Would you acted
7. From a strictly medical point of view all the children ought to have been vaccinated three months ago. Anyway, we should begin vaccinating them the day
the vaccine ready.
AI is B/ was CI would be 01 had been
8. Don't tell me I tillS o'clock in the afternoon.
A! was to make them to stay C/ must have made them stay
BI could have made them stay DI was to have made them stay
9. Could you tell me how you came this unknown letter?
AI along B/ through C/ to DI across
10. We live very far from the station, so she a taxi because she got here just
ten minutes after the arrival of the train.
AI must have taken B/ had to take C/ would certainly take 0/ had to have taken
11. I can't go fishing with you because my wife is giving a party tomorrow. I wish
AI you came B/ you wouldn't C/ she were not 0/ she would not
12. Without any warning he the boy on the chest.
AI striked BI stroke C/ stroked D/ struck
13. I guess you would want to work here as a teacher. If so, you a degree
AI must have got BI would have got C/ would have to get D/ had got
14. Well, if I
it several times, I might still believe he has good
AI hadn't heard Dino say
C/ hadn't heard Dino to be saying
B/ didn't hear Dino say
0/ heard not Dino as saying
15. Tony is lying. He money from Alf on the ferry back from Bergen. I'm
absolutely positive about it.
AI has borrowed
C/ has been borrowed
BI did borrow
0/ may have borrowed
1. Since they they are getting on vel)' well together.
AI are the same age
CI have been of the same age
B/ are in the same age D/ have the same age
2. If he asks my advice, I'U suggest in the offices on the ground floor.
AI to change some furnitures B/ changing piece of furniture
CI to change part of the furniture 0/ changing all the furniture
3. Both of them are very busy and cannot devote _
AI their children enough time C/ much time for their children
B/ their children lot of time
0/ enough time to their children
4. Now that you're through with it, you should be more grateful to Ted for all his
help. Do you think without it?
AI you would succeed C/ you might succeed
BI would you succeed
D/ you would have succeeded
5. I was very surprised that nobody reacted he was trying to do.
N against that which BI to that what C/ to what 01 for what
6. For me it's obvious that anyone who to make some changes here would
have to start by gaining local people's confidence.
N was wanting B/ were wanting CI had wanted 0/ would want
7. What? Your sister saw Jimmy at The Oasis? Well, if it him, he must
have been dismissed again.
AI were really B/ was really CI bad really been D/ really had been
8. You should be glad that Fielding, your main opponent, didn't appear. Can you
imagine the verdict if he ?
AI did BI didn't C/ had DI would
9. How long is it since our club from the Cup?
AI withdrew BI has withdrawn C/ withdrawn 0/ was witbdrowned
10. I could never sympathise with only criticised other people's work.
AI such a persons who BI such persons who C/ persons who DI such persons that
11. It's really hard to know when she . Maybe next weekend or some
weekend after next. Maybe she won't come at all.
AI comes BI will come CI will have come D/ has come
12. I must admit they far too quickly for me. Anyway, I'm not good at
AI rowed BI rew CI have rown D/ rown
13. Do you really expect him treated in this way?
CI not to object to being D/ not object to being
14. "Could we start a little earlier?"
"Well, it depends on the Parkers. I've made arrangements to start as soon as they
N have returned BI returned C/ will return 0/ will have returned
15. He is very conservative in his opinions. He says, for example, that he prefers
N going by train than to fly C! going by train than flyinJt
B/ going by train to flying 0/ going by train from Dying
f. Thank goodness she isn't your wife. Just try to imagine our cooperation if she
AI would be B/ were C/ is 01 will be
2. I am not puritanical but if I objected such films before 10 pm, it was
because I was thinking about how damaging this might be for young children.
AI to allowing TV channels show CI to allowing TV channels to show
B/ against allowing TV channels to show 01 to allow TV channels for showing
3. "Do you know Mr Clark arrived last Monday?"
"Oh, really? Well, I wish "
AI he didn't B/ I knew earlier Cli did earlier D/ he hadn't
4. What would you think about ?
AI to let Smith for reelection Blletting Smith to be reelected
Clletting Smith for being reelected 01 letting Smith be reelected
5. I can't believe it. She it by herself. It weighs over a ton.
AI couldn't lift B/ can't have lifted
CI may not have been able to lift D/ might not lift
6. On leaving school the boys gave Mr Jay t their headmaster, an album with the
photographs which they since the first day at school.
AI have taken 8/ have been taking CI had taken D/ were taking
7. "I'm ready for lunch." "You had I'm not surprised."
AI so light breakfast that 8/ such a light breakfast that
C/ such light breakfast that DI too light breakfast therefore
8. Seeing the headmaster come towards them the pupils themselves.
AI hidded BI have hidden CJ have hid 0/ hid
9. Without doubt any such incident him in such a difficult situation that
he would have to resign immediately.
AI had placed B/ would have placed C/ would place 0/ has placed
10. It's not difficult to imagine how Dave would react if one of his partners _
N were threatened BI were threaten C/ threatened D/ threaten
11. BOth gangsters were fairly sure there was no danger _
AI of being arrested 8/ of arresting C/ to be arrested D/ to have been arrested
12. Did they buy everything ?
AI what tbey wished buy
C/ which they had planned buying
B/ they wished to buy
0/ what they wished to buy
13. Look at these photos. They in Brazil or Colombia. Certainly not in
AI could be taken
C/ might possibly be taken
B/ might possibly have taken 0/ may have been taken
14. I'm sure the timing won't be difficult at all. The band starts playing the moment
AI see them enter
CJ will see them entering
B/ will see them being entering 0/ see they will be entering
15. A number of bad contracts and last year's deep recession finally drove him business.
AI off B/ from C/ out of 0/ outside
1. I think the battery before going to Vienna. Do you know Lucy had
problems starting the car last night?
AI you'd better change C/ you've better changed
BI you'd better changed 0/ you will better change
2. "Who this beautiful blouse?" "My Granny did."
AI sew BI sewn C/ sewed 01 sowed
3. If, as Mr Fox says, the repair turned out to be so complicated, they _
much earlier. But nobody expected it would be so time-consuming.
AI should start B/ ought to have started C/ might start 01 must have started
4. At the time of our first meeting there was a considerable difference between me
and him; he articles in magazines for over five years while I was
AI was publishing B/ had been publishing C/ has been publishing 0/ published
5. In principle I have nothing against here. If they are polite, of course.
AI letting Bob and the other boys come B/ to let Bob and the other boys come
C/ letting Bob and the other boys to come 01 to let Bob and the other boys to be coming
6. Doesn't she look ?
Ai elegantly in her new dress CI elegant in her new dress on
B/ elegantly wearing her new dress on D/ elegant in her new dress
7. Let's not discuss this problem now if we a decision tomorrow.
AI won't need to reach CI don't need to reach
B/ needn't to reach
01 needn't to be reaching
8. I didn't manage to copy _
AI all which I wanted to CI all what I wanted to
B/ all what I wanted being copied 01 all I wanted to
9. I'm not sure who should be punished for the incident. Certainly not Alice, since
she of possible dangers.
AI hasn't warned BI wasn't warned C/ hadn't warned 01 wouldn't be warned
1 O. A~ I expected, the prospect to hospital made him feel much worse.
N to be taken BI for taking C/ of taking 01 of being taken
11. You look really tired. You could a week's holiday, I think.
AI make for B/ make with CI do with DI pass for
12. Her unexpected arrival probably saved his life. 'Ien minutes later the fire _
impossible to control.
AI had been BI might be C/ would have been 0/ must have been
13. I'm not dogmatic. Before taking a decision I always want to know on the
AI people's varying opinion CJ peoples' varying opinions
BI people's varying opinions D/ peoples' varying opinion
14. Mr Simpson says it was impossible to finish the job on time. I don't necessarily agree with this as there were some options he didn't try; for instance, if he four lorries instead of two.
AI had hired B/ hired C/ would hire 0/ were to hire
15. "Where's your green dress?" "Unfortunately it in the first wash."
AI shrunk B/ shrioked CI has shrunken DI shrank
1. There are no problems with Dave. He seems after in a proper way.
Ai to be looking BI to have been looked
C/ to have looked Df as if he were to look
2. He knew to express how strongly he felt about it.
A} too little words in Dutch BI too few Dutch words
C/ not enough Dutch allowing D/ a little Dutch
3. Don't try to stop him. The sooner he the better. I certainly won't miss
N resigns BI will resign C/ will have resigned DI had resigned
4. Hearing the sad news, she tears. I'm stiU upset to think about it.
A} has burst in B/ burst with CI has burst into 0/ burst into
5. By the time I came here all the better jobs taken.
AI have been Bf were C/ are D/ had been
6. As for Tina, we can be quite sure she will not say a word, even if she _
AI speaks to B/ will be spoken to
C/ is spoken to 01 will be able to speak to
7. If I might say something, I'd suggest Adam about it.
AI not telling B/ not to teU C/ not saying 01 to not say
8. I didn't hear the voice but if the man Barbara's father, we'll be in
trouble. You shouldn't have told her about our meeting.
AI had been BI were C/ was 01 would be
9. My daughters prefer sell top quality goods only.
AI such shops which B/ shops which C/ shops DI such a shops which
10. I don't know what they're waiting for. We've agreed to depart once they
AI finished BI have finished CI wiD finish DI will have finished
11. I've just had a quarrel with your father whether fishing.
AI allow you and your friends go B/ to allow you and your friends go
C/ to allow you and your friends for going Df to allow you and your friends to go
12. Buenos Aires Radio says _
Argentina on Friday.
a twenty-four bour general strike In
N there is to be C/ it has been
BI it is to be
01 there may have been
13. "Monica has just left. She's sorry about being absent last Monday. She had to
babysit for a neighbour." "It's OK but "
AI she could phone
CJ she ought have phoned
BI couldn't she have phoned? 0/ why she didn't phone?
14. It's great! I've never seen architecture in my life.
AI so a fantastic B/ so fantastic an
CJ such a fantastic 0/ such fantastic
15. I can remember she the dining-room table with a white cloth to
celebrate my return.
AI laid Bllay C/ has lain D/ has laid
1. This news is too good to be true. I'm afraid George has it up
AI brought B/ made C/ put 01 did
2. Excuse me, Mr Finn, but would you mind if we your front windows?
They're terrible! AI got some Scouts to clean CJ would make some Scouts clean
BI made some Scouts to clean DI got some Scouts clean
3. What great joy it was to receive the news he for such a long time!
AI has been waiting for CJ had been waiting for
BI has been waiting DI has waited
4. She showed intelligence in the: handling of the affair.
AI a superior B/ superior C/ the superior DI such superior an
5. We him up at five because be hadn't been sleeping since four.
AI needn't have woken C/ needn't to have woken
BI didn't need wake
01 didn't need to wake
6. I wouldn't have bought it anyway, because it too much.
N cost B/ had costed C/ costed 0/ would cost
7. Wme is made grapes.
N out of B/ of C/ from D/ with
8. In my opinion the house looked much better before in 1980.
AI redecorating C/ redecorating it
B/ was redecorated 0/ being redecorated
9. Be very cautious. Anything could be very harmful to our project.
AI what they might propose B/ they might propose
Cf of that they might propose OJ like they might propose
10. Since no photographs taken during the walk, I left my camera in the
N had been BJ have been CI were to be DJ should have been
11. If Mr Marsh his car to that Irish lawyer, as he thought he
would, I'll have to find another person to drive me to the station in the morning.
AI sold BI sells C/ were to sell Of would sell
12. "It says here the base at North Pass bas been receiving supplies only by air."
"Db really? Since when?" "Since the bay over."
AI freezed Bf froze C/ has frozen D/ has frost
13. It's very naive of Adam to expect so much money for such an old
N receive B/ receiving CI to receive D/ his receiving
14. Since, at that time, his name secret, we all addressed him "Uncle
AI has been kept
CI must have been kept
BI was keeping 0/ had to be kept
15. Last year's festival quite the same thing without Danny Rogers. Most
of the audience came only to hear him and left after his concert.
AI wouldn't be Cf wasn't
B/ hadn't been
0/ wouldn't have been
1. If the exams are to be taken separately, I can see no point on the same
AI to have aU of them come B/ in having all of them to come
C/ to have aU of them to come 0/ in having all of them come
2. It wasn't SO bad after all. Eventually there were complaints than
N not so many B/ much less CI far fewer O/least
3. If, indeed, you a police agent who was foUowing you on the train, the
situation may soon become very serious.
N saw BI had seen C/ have seen DI see
4. The only incident that night involved two policemen who near
AI had shot at B/ have shot on C/ were shooting at DI had been shot at
5. He on the bed and soon went to sleep.
AI lay dawn B/lied down C/ laid down D/lain down
6. I'm sure they will always object in how their community should be ruo.
AI to have no say
C/ to having said nothing
B/ to having no say
DI against saying nothing
7. We've lost aU the games! I've never had before.
AI such rotten luck BI such a rotten luck CI so rotten a luck 0/ that rotten luck
8. After that scandal Mr Patterson resign. Just think of some people's joy
if he is.
N might have to
C/ may have been forced to
B/ may be forced to
DI could have been forced to
9. "Will it be all right if I ask Mr Bueno to come in the afternoon 1"
"Well, I'm to get the file on his bank tomorrow. And I'd rather not meet him
before I it. "
AI saw BI had seen C/ have seen 0/ will see
10. Don't regret you couldn't come. Your arrival my decision.
. N wouldn't change
CJ may not have changed
BI wouldn't have changed D/ couldn't change
11. After only two or three days it turned out to be rather unfortunate that
Andrea, rny only acquaintance in Puebla, there long enough to be
a good guide.
N hasn't lived B/ didn't live C/ hadn't lived DJ wasn't living
12. There was nothing I could do for Joe in that situation. Even if I less
AI were B/ weren't C/ would have been D/ had been
13. I'm afraid he couldn't help being jealous his brother's good fortune.
AI of B/ about C/ at 0/ over
14. Once in Miami 1 what to do. The problem is there is no way of getting
AI knew B/ know CI would know D/ would have known
15. Our experts agree that one tenth the terrorists put into the parcel
would have blown up the judge's car.
N of that what 8/ of that C/ which D/ of what
1. Any contract which the ownership of the palace would have to be
approved by the Supreme Court. And I doubt whether such approval would be
N would affect B/ has affected C/ had affected D/ affects
2. One must not forget that in twenty years from now in society needn't
be exactly the same.
AI role of women B/ women's roles C/ woman's role D/ womens' role
3. I wonder where and when he
AI manages to have printed these cards
CI will manage these cards to be printed
8/ will manage to have printed these cards 01 will manage to have these cards printed
4. Even if she thought the ride and the tickets would be free, she _
Jimmy some pocket money. As it was the boy couldn't even buy himself an ice cream.
AI could give B/ should give C/ had to give Of ought to have given
5. The situation has changed and now I wouldn't wait too long with handing in the
resignation. In your place I'd do it exactly the day the new rector office.
AI took B/ will take C/ takes D/ had taken
6. At the General's funeral we "Commandante" .
AI sweared BJ swore C/ have sweared D/ have sworn
we would never forget our
7. Well~ it but will it taste the same?
A! is smelling good B/ smells good CI is smelling well D/ smells well
8. Remember, if you eventually meet Mrs Field, you'll have to speak to her as if you ___ the real Mr Archer.
A! were BI will be C/ would be DI are
9. The guerrillas are trained in special mountain camps. believed to be at
least ten such camps high up in the Sierras.
A! They are BJ It is C/ There are D/ There is
10. I'm sorry, I forgot to teU you the Fergusons drink only water, so really you ___ all that wine. But don't worry, we'U keep it for your birthday party.
AI needn't have bought CI oughtn't to buy
BI didn't need to buy D/ didn't need buy
11. Don't get so excited. He did nothing _
AI we couldn't do
C/ what we couldn't have done
BI what we couldn't do DJ such important
12. I wish we longer in Antwerp instead of going to Brussels, which I have
seen many times. Do you think it might still be arranged?
AI have stayed BI bad stayed CI shall stay D/ could stay
13. We should be very glad that there were so few policemen on duty that day. But I
prefer Dot to think about the possible end of our action if there more.
A! were BI had been CI are DI would be
14. He got into bed with a hot-water bottle and his cold out before it could
have developed into flu.
AI sweat B/ sweated C/ has sweated DI sweatened
15. He is the kind of person that will always in most impossible ways.
N take advantage
CI be taken advantage of
B/ take advantage of
DI be taking advantage of
1. It is now over seventy years since Lindbergh across the Atlantic.
A} has Oed BI has Down C/ Oed DI flew
2. With a better goalkeeper they almost certain to win the cup. But even
with poor old Joe Wright they are a very likely winner.
A} would be BI would have been C/ were 01 will be
3. What made you think he in the RAF?
A} must have to be B/ had been C/ was being D/ had had to be
4. How much did you have to pay 1
A} to have all the rooms painted C/ to have painted all the rooms
B/ for having painted al1 the rooms 0/ for painting all the rooms
5. I was more and more angered the man was saying.
N with all that what B/ at what C/ by that DI at all that what
6. There is no point asking Bob for information concerning the contest. As far as I
know he about it.
AI hasn't told B/ didn't tell C/ hasn't been told 01 wouldn't tell
7. I don't know how you will do it, but one thing is certain: there shouldn't be any
people coming and going after the lecture _
N began BI has begun C/ will have begun D/ will begin
8. "Which model 1 We won't be able to buy more than one."
"Oh, I don't know. We would have to carry out a detailed study before making a decision."
N shall we buy B/ will we buy C/ would we buy 0/ we want to buy
9. We arrived very late, only minutes before the ferry to Hamburg.
AI boarding on BI boarding for C/ being boarded onto D/ boarding
10. We should not make the final decision yet since two more meetings in
April and May.
AI there will have been B/ there bad been C/ there bave been DI there are to be
11. The Mayor has said that it will take months to repair done to the
buildings by Hurricane Linda,
N damages B/ the damages CI a damage DI the damage
12. He pretended Russian, which probably saved his life.
AI not understand BI not understanding
C/ not to understand D/ didn't understand
13. He's trying to convince me I him. But he doesn't take into
consideration the fact that I was in trouble myself.
AI could help B/ could have helped
C/ was able to help 01 had been able to help
14. I went to see Aunt Mathilda yesterday and found ber wearing her best dress. She
said she was waiting for her insurance agent who'd said he would _
AI call on her B/ call at her CI call ber off D/ call her out
15. I reacted the way I did out of ignorance. Could you imagine my reaction if
I the spider was so dangerous?
AI knew B/ did know C/ had known 0/ would know
1. There no price rises till the end of the year. Because of this we
will have to change the name of the product before we can sell it for more money.
AI will have been B/ are CI arc to be 0/ won't be
2. Look at that girl! If only I twenty years later ...
AI were born BJ was born CJ had been born D/ would have been born
3. Professor White, who is to be tbe best specialist in this field, will give
a lecture on the subject.
AI told B/ said CJ spoken DI talked
4. Miss Archer will be eighty next September. At this age she is still enjoying ___ health.
AI relatively good 8/ relative good C/ a relatively good Of the relatively good
5. Being on the whole very sceptical about the project, Mr Adams to
cooperate. But he made it clear that his support was only conditional and could be withdrawn at any moment.
AI didn't promise B/ did promise CJ has promised 0/ wouldn't promise
6. In your situation you need would be cheap but not too ugly.
N such furniture which B/ such a furniture which
C/ furniture that 0/ a furniture that
7. What I strongly object to is the very principle on one another.
AI of getting the boys themselves to inform c/ of getting the boys themselves inform
BI to get the boys themselves inform
0/ to get the boys themselves informing
8. The news be true, That's why until we learn more about it we ought to
behave as if we bad never received it.
AI doesn't need C/ mustn't
B/ needs not to
0/ mayor may Dot
9. If at that point the situation well in hand, then why did they react so
AI had been B/ were C! was 0/ would be
10. Not unexpectedly, the enemy artillery back, killing a number of people
and starting a fire.
Al has hitted B/ has hit C/ bitted 0/ hit
11. Without what to begin with they won't be able to move on.
AI being shown B/ showing them CJ having shown 0/ showing
12. We all rejoiced to hear that the first prize had gone to Willis, who _
active in this field for longer than any of us.
N bas been Bf had been C/ was Of is
13. This time of day all the lines are engaged, so I doubt whether she'll be able to ___ tous.
A! get about B/ get down CI get over 0/ get through
14. Over a hundred Embassy staff and their families that there was no
A! were gathered to tell them C/ gathered to tell
Bf were gathered to be told
D/ were gathered for telling them
15. In my opinion we should react as soon as the plan public. Waiting a day
or two would put us in a rather awkward position.
AI has been made Bf will be made CI went 0/ had gone
1. He us on the last day of the congress so his presence at the opening
ceremony was something of a surprise.
AI must have joined BI was to join C/ had to join D/ should join
2. Mr Oller discussed the details of the project with authority that made
all the listeners forget his young age.
AI the complete BI such a complete authority C! such completely D/ complete
3. I still regret I didn't have a camera. I some photographs of the bird.
AI would certainly take CI could maybe take
BI would have taken D/ had better take
4. We've been working in the same shop for a week but I still don't know how to address her. I wish
AI I do one day B/I did CI I would 0/ to find out soon
5. What a pity I was away! If only the fax me an hour earlier ...
AI had reached B/ would reach C/ reached D/ did reach
6. Last year's tournament was by far the best. We managed to gather top
AI bardly all Bf quite few CJ quite a few D/ rather much
7. We didn't know what to do and then Sue had the bright idea their own
AI to get every couple cook
c/ of getting every couple cooking
BI to get every couple cooking
0/ of getting every couple to cook
8. We were lucky. A television documentary was just being made and we _
the Chapel, which is not normally shown to the public.
AI could have seen B/ did all but see C/ were able to see 0/ could see
9. If I suggest the report yet, it's because I am aware how complex the
AI to not publish B/ not publishing C/ do not publish D/ not to publish
10. Pablo on similar equipment since he left school, and therefore he was
not required to attend the afternoon training session.
N was working BI worked C/ has been working 01 bad been working
11. We are not going to stop. The campaign should go on until every bike _
marked with the new reflective paint. Just think how many lives it may save.
AI has been BI was C/ will have been D/ will be
12. One thing seems rather certain. The advertising campaign in a proper
AI hasn't run B/ hadn't run C/ wasn't run DI wouldn't run
13. Taking the Duke by surprise, the girl her arms round his neck trying to
AI threw BI has thrown C/ thrown DI was throwing
14. What an amazing coincidence! Bob and Jane are _
AI in exactly the same age CI exactly the same age
B/ at the same age exactly D/ exactly in the same age
15. I remember that meeting Andy Sugar was a great occasion for my children.
Since the showing of his film they him as something of a national
N admired B/ have admired C/ have been admiring DI had admired
1. their beads in his direction, he knew they were interested.
AI When he saw them both to tum C/ Seeing them both tum
B/ On seeing they both turn
D/ After seeing them both to have turned
2. Nobody looked for a better manager because Geoff considered the
only possible choice.
AI would have B/ has already CI had D/ was
3. We cannot invite her for a tour of the province because her parents have told her
to return home after the last game over.
A! is B/ will be C/ would be D/ was
4. Doctor Delors was very fluent in English and so I an interpreter, which
greatly reduced the cost of the lecture.
AI needn't have hired C/ needn't to have hired
B/ didn't need to hire DI didn't need hire
s. Who will pay for the coach if almost two fifths of the passengers a free
AI will receive 81 were to give C/ are to be given D/ would receive
6. Laboratory tests carried by three independent teams of experts have
given similar results.
AI out 8/ about C/ forth DI up
7. Don't teU me I acted too quickly. I'm sure nobody in my place a minute
AI would have to wait B/ would have waited C/ would be able to wait DI would wait
8. We expect that there ought to be accidents when the new traffic lights
AI considerably fewer B/ few less Clleast DI much less
9. Now I understand why she spoke English most of the time: this was a way of
avoiding for one of the natives.
AI to take her Bf taking CI to be taken Df being taken
10. The roofs of cottages in the valley below were of Morocco oranges.
AI the colour B/ of the colour CJ in the colour DI of colours
11. I invited a lot of people hoping that Helen would help me with the preparations.
Now I wish I only on myself.
AI counted B! had counted C/ would count DI have counted
12. It is my strong principle never to discuss in public.
AI with my employees about religion C/ with my employees
B/ about religion with my employees D/ religion
13. Don't be so pleased with yourself. Remember you would have missed the plane
without Mr Adams giving you a lift to the airport or, if there a traffic
jam in Langley Road.
AI has been B/ had been C! were DI would be
14. I the envelope to the gate, hoping the girl would be clever enough to
AI fast BI have fastened C/ fastened Df have fast
15. Every day newspaper copies are sold in our city.
AI a few millions BI between two and three millions
C/ over two million Df several millions of
1. Why are you so sure Mr Newmark will do anything to help you? In ),our place I ___ only on myself.
AI counted B/ will count C/ would count 01 count
2. He agreed with my opinion that we should not be fully satisfied what
AI from B/ of C/ about DI with
3. Of course, aU those who can apply again.
AI didn't list BI have not been listed CI have not listed D/ will not list
4. The work on the project has been going very well and I hope that if we get ___ financing from the Council, it may be completed very soon.
AI a little B/ hardly any C/ only little D/ just little
5. 1b make sure there would be no problems with the program we it
a second time.
AI ordered our computer experts run C/ made our computer experts to run
BI had our computer experts run D/ had our computer experts to run
6. Nobody answered the phone at the Chairman's office, so I asked the operator to
put me to his deputy.
AI over BI forward C/ through 01 down
7. In my opinion we shouldn't speak to the media at all before the most basic facts
concerning the explosion established,
AI will have been BI being C/ have been DI were
8. His decision to close the firm was no one had ever taken seriously.
AI something of what BI something that C/ something what D/ something whose
9. With so many different things we are concerning what is good for our
health, we should first of all keep calm.
AI being said B/ speaking C/ being told 0/ talked to
10. The high turnout was a pleasant surprise for me as I didn't think there would be
nearly half the first time.
AI as many visitors like CI as much visitors like
B/ so many visitors than D/ as many visitors as
11. Thinking over a decision can be a disadvantage: by the time our boss made up
his mind about the price the contract to Brown & Sons.
N bas gone BI had gone Cf did go Df would have gone
12. I some soup for Cindy but she said she wasn't hungry.
A! heated B/ hit Cf have heatened D/ heat
13. Don't forget to ring me up if any changes in the timetable.
AI they are Bf it will be C/ there will be Df there are
14. I'm rather surprised that Doris hasn't come. She her mind at the last
minute as only yesterday she promised she would be here.
A! must have changed B/ could change CI had to change Df had had to change
15. Most children in the area wish that the strike for another week or so.
But I think it may be over tomorrow.
N bas lasted Bllasted Cf will have lasted D/ would last
1. I was careful enough not to promise them their daughter to France for
the summer holiday.
N inviting B/ invite C/ to invite Of an invitation of
2. In fact the criminals in because the front door was wide open and so
they just walked in.
A! didn't need to break C/ needn't have broken
B/ didn't need break
Df needn't to have broken
3. Without substantial foreign aid they won't be able to achieve even they
AI half which Bf a half of that a half of that what Of balf of what
4. This is a documentary which recalls The Lusitania in 1915.
N sinking of B/ a sinking of C/ the sinking of Df sinking
5. If Karol Wojtyla elected Pope, there wouldn't be so many Poles visiting
Rome every year now.
AI wasn't to be Bf hadn't been C/ weren't Of wouldn't have been
6. If you refuse to do it, the bosses will have no difficulty the job.
N to get one of those ambitious young men to do
Bf in getting one of those ambitious young men to do C/ getting one of those ambitious young men do
D/ with getting one of those ambitious young men do
7. In my opinion there might be some problems on the very day the new system introduced.
AI was B/ will be C/ had been Df is
8. 1\vo young men were arrested on suspicion of setting fire a police van.
AI in BI on C/ with D/ to
9. A trade union leader who suggests ! Isn't it strange?
AI to lower the salaries
CI the salaries to be lowered
B/ lowering the salaries DI the salaries to lower
10. If the place where they themselves at the end of the operation doesn't
have electricity, they will have to use their car battery.
N will find B/ found C/ find D/ will have found
11. We sold most of our collection to pay for Luke's surgery. Now I know we ___ it because he would have recovered anyway.
AI mustn't have done Bf oughtn't to do C/ didn't need do D/ needn't have done
12. As regards farmers and fruit growers, we have never had today
AI so few supporters among them as
C/ such a few supporters among them like
B/ as few supporters among them like D/ fewer supporters among them as
13. We were very disappointed when Dad returned two days earlier than planned
and discovered everything himself. the last.
AI It was to be told him C/ He was to be told
B/ He was being told D/ He was to tell him
l·t I couldn't believe my eyes. She in that pink kimono.
N looked so perfectly C/ looked so beautiful
Bf was looking beautifully D/looked such nice
15. I know too little Dutch to have understood what they were talking about. What
I though, was that their boss would be there the next morning.
N didn't understand C/ have understood
B/ did understand
Df could have understood
1. Please don't mention me in Leicester.
AI him you saw 8/ him seeing CI to him that you saw D/ it to him seeing
2. What's the point here if you don't have anything to tell them?
AI in getting them all to come CI to get them all come
8/ in getting them all come DI getting them all come
3. His brother Ken is to have made a fortune on smuggling gold.
A} said B/ spoken C/ told D/ talked
4. One thing should be made quite clear: there can't be any last-minute changes
once the program approved by all the people involved.
AI will be 8/ will have been C/ has been DI would have been
5. It all went so smoothly because nobody said anything about money. But I can easily imagine the Chairman's reaction if the problem of compensations mentioned.
AI were BI had been C/ is to be DI was to be
6. His anger as Gloria Craig's husband was such that he remained
speechless for a while.
AI on addressing him CI at being addressed
BI at addressing him
D/ to have been addressed
7. Ifwe the work would have been completed, I'm sure.
N hadn't disturbed B!weren't disturbed CI didn't disturb DI hadn't been disturbed
8. The second stone was larger: it was of a small watermelon.
AI in the size B/ the size CJ at a size D/ with a size
9. Just as I expected we them easily four to one.
Al have beaten BI have beat C/ beaten DI beat
10. He showed wisdom in solving our problem that we came to consider
him as our leader.
AI a great BI such great C/ so great a D/ such a great
11. After the official demonstration farmers marched on the town hall
carrying green banners and singing patriotic songs.
AI several hundreds 81 over six hundred of C/ hundreds of D/ over six hundreds
12. I was going to introduce myself but then it turned out I it as the
chairman had already said a few things about my case.
AI didn't need to do BI didn't need do
C/ needn't to have done
0/ needn't have done
13. Luckily, Roger's departure was delayed by one day and so we one more
AI were able to spend CI could have spent
B/ could spend
0/ may have spent
14. What I regret is that we only spoke to the boy's father. I wish we to the
mother as well.
N did speak 8/ spoke CJ could have spoken 0/ had spoken
15. The fire due to faulty insulation. But, for the time being, we cannot
exclude a terrorist attack.
AI could start
C/ might be started
BI may have started 0/ must have started
1. The boy the narrow canal in ten minutes to find himself in the base,
out of danger.
N swam 8/ has swum CI swum D/ had swam
2. "When will Tess be able to leave hospital?"
"Don't be so impatient. We cannot release her before we the last
AI completed C/ will complete
BI will have completed 0/ have completed
3. The reaching us ought to be taken with great caution.
AI few news that are C/little news are
BI few news which is D/little news which is
~. "How many people ? Remember we will have to cover their travel
"Well, it's up to you. I can assure you I won't protest."
AI wiD we invite B/ should we invite CI we want to invite 0/ would we invite
5. It's good I got interested in that bottle. Granny the poison taking it for
her asthma medicine because the bottle was unmarked.
AI could swallow B/ had swalJowed C/ might have swallowed D/ was able to swallow
6. I'm afraid he is who will never learn anything.
Ai the type of politician B/ a type of the politician
C/ type of a politician 0/ type of politician
7. Most people had to go home without seeing Johnny. And even those few lucky
ones who him were not allowed to address him.
AI have seen B/ did see CI would see 0/ would have seen
8. Don't underestimate it. There have been at least six other cases of typhoid since
Mr Wang ill.
A! fell BJ bas felt C/ has fallen DI had fallen
9. First we have to find out to what extent the drop in car imports is related the increase of interest rates.
AI upon B/ with CI to OJ over
10. Throughout the campaign he avoided on TV with a cigarette or a glass.
AI being shown B/ to be shown C/ to show himself D/ showing
11. Don't be so sure it was Mr Gross himself. You may have seen _
AI an employee of him CJ his another employee
BI the employee of him 01 an employee of his
12. The base can only be supplied through light biplanes carrying up to a ton of
cargo. An aircraft that large enough to carry ten tons would need
a much longer runway.
AI would have been B/ would be CJ has been DJ is
13. Model CM2, has only recently visited London, will be shown in Venice
Al which designer BI whose designer C/ designer of 01 that the designer
14. Although he a fair trial, I don't expect him to return.
AI has promised B/ had promised C/ has been promised DI keeps promising
15. If we the air-conditioning when Amy told us to, the present heat wave
would not be such a big problem.
AI would fit B/ fitted C/ had fitted DJ would have fitted
1. I went to the meeting strongly determined all the questions.
AI to refuse to answer
C/ about refusing to answer
BI to refuse answering 01 to refuse answer
2. Throughout the campaign we our candidate's photographs on the walls
of public buildings, hoping to attract women's votes. However, we were only moderately successful.
AI have been banging BI hung CI hanged 01 have hung
3. As far as I remember the second text took no more than ten minutes.
AI the reading B/ reading of C! the reading of D/ a reading of
4. I suppose in the end they didn't have enough money to carry out all the
redecorations; or the landlord to the changes.
AI might object B/ has objected C/ may have objected D/ would have objected
5. We agreed to keep all earned until next year's meeting.
AI what we had B/ that which we had C/ we had D/ of whicb we had
6. We had to delay recording the title song of the album because of the producer's last minute decision
AI about having rewritten the lyrics C/ of rewriting the lyrics
B/ to have the lyrics rewritten DI to have rewritten the lyrics
7. The weather forecast is promising. What about on Saturday?
AI going hunting BI go hunting CI going for hunting 0/ going on hunting
8. After so many years of work I'm really tired ordinary people's egoism
and lack of consideration.
N with Bf of C/ at D/ by
9. It turned out that on Fridays admission to city museums was free, and so we ___ anything and were able to spend the money on fruit.
N didn't need pay
CJ needn't to have paid
B/ needn't have paid D/ didn't need to pay
10. Kate thinks that most of the criticism in today's art magazines is completely
worthless. and that is worthwhile is too difficult.
AI a little B/ some little C/ little 0/ the little
11. your mind about Saturday, please Jet me know.
N Were you to cbange 81 Did you change CJ If you had changed D/ You had changed
12. Why should we wait any longer? We've been told to act once we the
AI received B/ will have received C/ will receive DI have received
13. At one moment everybody was busy looking for Father Francis, but the old man
AI nowhere to be found B/ nowhere found C/ found nowhere D/ being found nowhere
14. Of one thing I am sure: at no time her father's name.
AI didn't she use BI did she use C/ she did use D/ she has used
15. Frankly speaking I didn't treat Jim as a serious partner. What difference would
it have made if I ?
AI would B/ did C/ did not D/ had
1. It is a pity that we will not be wearing tartan kilts. The ceremony so
AI would look B/ will look C/ were looking D/looked
2. He didn't stop talking even for a moment, which for me was a rather childish way
of avoiding my question.
AI to answer BI not to answer C/ answering D/ to have answered
3. The story about the red squirrel going shopping seems aU right, on condition that
you to it.
AI will make the younger kids listen CI make the younger kids to listen
BI can make the younger kids willlisten D/ can make the younger kids listen
4. We don't want my father to know about the trip. Please, don't give us _
AI off B/ away C/ on D/ in
5. The tickets for the remembrance concert are too expensive for the veterans, ___ most ordinary citizens of our town find deeply offensive.
AI whom BI that C/ what DI which
6. I'm afraid we will not get our money back. As long as Daniel Ash his
seat in the Senate, he is protected by law.
AI will keep B/ won't keep CJ will have kept D/ keeps
'7. The boys we met on the train soldiers on leave. They were young, with
very short haircuts.
N may have been BI may be C/ had bad to be D/ could be
8. I was rather surprised seeing Mr Salt's name on the list because he _
invited. Last time he got drunk and offended our Chinese visitors.
AI was not being
CJ wouldn't have been
BI was not to be D/wouldn't be
9. Every day British Mail delivers letters and postcards in and out of
AI a few millions
CJ over two million of
B/ between two and three millions D/ several million
:0. I didn't think it would clear up so soon and I didn't take my camera. We could
have taken some fascinating pictures of swans if I _
AI did B/ would C/ had DI took
11. Both witnesses, who were giving widely conflicting accounts of the incident, ___ on one important detail: the driver of the van was a young woman in a baseball cap.
AI didn't agree B/ did agree C/ have been agreeing D/ had agreed
12. I didn't buy the model with the electronic control system because it was _
I was prepared to pay.
AI twice the price
C/ at twice price of what
81 twice of a price DI for twice a price
13. Well, frankness is a great thing, but I'd rather you to Miss Wung what
I think about her.
AI not repeat BI won't repeat C/ didn't repeat D/ don't repeat
14. Never ask the boss about the firm. He hates of his duties.
AI to remind him B/ being reminded CJ reminding him D/ if you remind
15. Contrary to expectations, the new law the situation of immigrants, who
no longer felt the obligation to learn the language.
AI worsed B/ did worse C/ worsened DJ worst
1. After the party they didn't remember the ashtrays out. The first thing
I did in the morning was to open the windows.
N taking BI to take CJ to have taken 01 having taken
2. The promotion that my father about for such a long time was
overshadowed by Lucy's accident which forced her to spend several months in hospital.
N has been dreaming B/ has dreamed C/ was dreaming Of had dreamed
3. The weather was perfect and so we the little shelter at the top in just two
hours while nonnally the climbing would have taken at least half an hour longer.
N could reach B/ were able to reach C/ could have reached Df might have reached
4. The palace is so heavy and massive that no redecoration can make it look like
a little gracious villa. Even if we it pink, which, of course, is out of the
N were to paint B/ had painted C/ would paint 0/ paint
5. He was away for two months but if he studies hard, I'm sure, he will soon ___ the group.
N catch on Bf catch up with C/ catch on with DI catch out in
6. For a person with intelligence, she has acted foolishly, I must say.
N normal B/ rather normal an C/ a normal D/ rather a normal
7. This time I would like to be home no later than 8 pm, so please Miss Hue, make your valuable suggestions about changes in the text before and not after we on the final version.
N agreed BI will have agreed C/ have agreed D/ will agree
8. We ignored the weather forecast and allowed the kids to sleep outdoors. Now I wish we
N did not 8/ would not have C/ bad not Df should not
9. Definitely he cannot be accused of shyness. Immediately in, he started
criticizing Lady Aid's paintings.
N after being let B/ having let him C/ on having let him D/ after letting
10. With trembling hands I both ends of the rope together, hoping it would
be strong enough to hold two people.
AI knot B/ have knot CI have been knotting D/ knotted
11. When the cheating was discovered the boys were expelled without much debate.
But now I think they alJowed to stay at our school.
AI should have been BI ought to be CI should better be DI should rather be
12. Let's accept the timetable as it is. In my opinion, it is something right now.
AI that we don't have to change
C/ what we have no need to change
BI which we have not to change DI what need not be changed
13. Customs duty wallpaper is almost 50% so I don't think it is a good idea
to buy it abroad.
AI on Bf for C/ at DI of
14. You may try to talk to them if you want to, although it's hopeless. No matter what
arguments you they will never change their minds.
AI will have used BI will use C/ would use DI use
15. I'm afraid you gain nothing by insisting of every small incident; they'll
just start deceiving you.
AI to be informed BI on informing you CJ on being informed Df to inform you
1. Since every penny of the grant spent on equipment, we started looking
for volunteers to do the cleaning.
AI must have been HI had to be C/ has been 01 would have been
2. Don't you think that complaining about the colour of ice cream may sound to others?
AI rather childishly BI a bit childish C/ too childlike DI childhood like
3. As a rule you shouldn't argue with your hosts unless they something
AI have said BI will say C/ bad said DI would say
4. As usual the coffee that she for us was too strong. I had to ask for hot water.
AI brewed B/ brew C/ brown D/ brcwered
5. Although the teacher who was in the hall at that time tries nothing,
I don't think we should believe her.
AI to pretend seeing
C/ to pretend to have seen
BI pretending to see
DJ to pretend having seen
6. The fact that Mr Ash about such crucial matters doesn't make him
a very reliable source for the future.
AI misinformed BI has misinformed C/ was misinforming 01 has been misinformed
7. I remember how gratifying it was to hand the Prince the money which my sisters
and I since we first heard of the Fund.
A! have collected B/ have been collecting C/ were collecting D/ had collected
8. I am now less sure about Miss Gwenn's standing on divorce. I just found ___ where she opposes it;
AI yet another article of hers C/ another yet of her articles
BI yet another her article 01 yet another article of her
9. Keep your mouth shut! Remember that what you say may be taken and
used against you.
AI into B/ over CI through 01 down
10. In my case Solcopan turned out to be another appointment with the
doctor was unnecessary.
AI so effective drug that C/ so effective that
B/ such effective drug that
01 such effective as drug so that
11. It is true that without loudspeakers the police just couldn't control the crowd.
Well, maybe they access to the market place.
AI could block BI ought to block C/ should have blocked 01 would be able to block
12. We couldn't play badminton because of the wind. I wish we so windy
on the beach.
AI would have been warned there was C/ had been warned it was
BI were warned it is
D/ had been warned there was
13. Next year's auctions should be advertised until 90 per cent of the objects ___ sold. This year we stopped publishing ads too early.
N were BI will have been C/ will be DI have been
14. I was slow to react because I saw no reason why I should trust the man. I can
imagine myself reacting differently if I him.
AI had trusted BI did trust C/ did trusted DI have trusted
15. The early, usually mild form of the disease does not interfere vision.
N on the patient's
C/ against the patient's
B/ with the patient's DI the patient's
1. Well, it is true that in the row over cholesterol most experts are against butter.
But it is also a fact that there are who support it.
AI quite few BI rather few C/ bardly any 0/ a few
2. A pocket-sized computer device that spoken language in two directions
would probably reduce the demand for language courses.
AI were translating B/ would translate C/ would have translated D/ will translate
3. If, as the radio says, there ice on the pools in the morning, the
temperature could have been _2° or lower. At zero no ice is fonned on the surface of water.
AI had been BI was C/ were DI would be
4. I think we should __ -' at least as long as they didn't identify themselves as FBI agents.
AI have refused to have our fingerprints taken BI then refuse to have taken our fingerprints
C/ have refused to our fingerprints being taken 0/ have refused to baving our fingerprints taken
S. The alarm was raised too late because when the emergency crew arrived no less
tban 10,000 gallons of oil into the stream.
AI has gushed BI gusbed C/ did gush 0/ had gushed
6. His wish to enjoy complete freedom social obligations seems rather
immoral to me.
AI of B/ from C/ against 01 towards
7. After so many years of absence I still consider myself a New Yorker and I'll be
the happiest man ever the day we there.
AI will have returned B/ will return C/ return 0/ returned
8. If, before becoming a journalist, I four years in the Andes, I would find
his story unlikely.
AI didn't spend 8/ hadn't spent C/ wouldn't spend 01 couldn't spend
9. There was no panic among the villagers who knew they to the mainland
AI should have airlifted CJ were to be airlifted
8/ were to airlift
0/ would be airlifting
10. It was not easy to make Amy swallow the medicine, although I it with
two spoons of honey.
AI sweeted B/ have sweeten C/ sweetened 0/ have sweeted
11. The robbers packed the diamonds into a suitcase and in a van that
waited for them in the street.
AI made otT B/ roUed over CI carried away D/ put through
12 It all depends on individual factors. For some people two grams can be
AI as little like B/ so little like C/ so few only 01 as little as
13. I found it difficult to follow what was because of the noise from the
engine room. AI spoken B/ talked CI being told D/ being said
14. Tom Grey, who doesn't know Swedish, this fax. We cannot put the
blame on him.
AI can't have sent
C/ hadn't been able to send
B/ wouldn't be able to send 0/ couldn't send
15. In that production Hamlet's role was played by a very attractive young actress, ____ many spectators regarded as an unnecessary oddity.
AI that B/ whom C/ which 0/ what
1. Intellectuals think that if we daily on tolerance and racism, we will end
up killing one another.
AI won't lecture BI are not lectured CI don't lecture 01 won't have lectured
2. Programming a robot to perform opening a drawer or turning on a tap
is extremely complex.
AI such simple acts as C/ such simple acts like
3. When Mr Hunt took from his father, the firm was near bankruptcy. He
managed to prevent it.
Nout Blon Clup
B/ the simple acts such as 01 such a simple act like
4. Every time Dad and Jim do the pools, we wish they all the results. So
far the best they have had was ten.
A! guessed 8/ had guessed C/ guess D/ would guess
5. I lost my first job at the AReO because of the rule they had that employees
with the firm for the shortest time had to be fired first. I don't know if
that rule still applies.
N which were B/ that had been C/ who were 0/ who have been
6. As some of the senior officers had very little English at school, additional
interpreters needed. The exact number should be known on their arrival.
AI may now be BI might have been C/ had better been D/ have better been
7. All the children who come here from America are used like adults.
AI to be treated Bf to treat them C/ to being treated 0/ to treating
8. Although the wind has now eased, we've warned all the residents all
the windows shut.
AI it's been better to keep BI they'd better keep
C! they'd better kept DI they'd better have kept
9. Personally, I have nothing against Rossi but is he to compete against
N really enough experienced BI enough experienced really CI really experienced enough 0/ enough really experienced
10. The collision occurred about two miles the Spanish coast and the
rescue operation was mounted by helicopters of the Spanish coastguard.
AI from B/ of Cf out of 01 off
11. Most critics agree that rather little done by the artist after his illness
has any great value.
N of what was BI of that was C/ of that what was 0/ which has been
12. Well, I understand that they couldn't drive on because of the snowstorm. But if
they knew they were going to be late, they me up to save us some
AI could ring BI would have to ring CI were able to ring D/ might have rung
13. He was brought up in a neighbourhood where police was not a shock
for a teenager.
N questioning by 8/ questioning of CI being questioned by D/ to question
14. It's too late. We won't fIX it for the race no matter how fast we . You
should've come earlier.
N will work B/ were working C/ work 0/ would work
15. The high winds blowing all Monday night very thick trees, breaking
some of them.
AI bended 81 bent CI have been bending 0/ have bended
1. I fmd it hard to believe authors whose books are not based on of living
in the tropics.
AI a first-hand experience
C/ the experience from first hand
B/lhe first-hand experiences D/ first-hand experience
2. What I fear most of aU is that we in what refers to the building of a new
market in West Crane. The local people seem to be very wary about it.
AI might misinterpret
C/ might be misinterpreted
B/ might have misinterpreted D/ won't be misinterpreting
3. I know too little Dutch to have understood what they were talking about. What
I though was that their boss would be there the next morning.
AI didn't understand C/ have understood
B/ did understand
D/ could have understood
4. Wen, you see, if I up in a neighbourhood where drink problems were
endemic, I might find these jokes really funny.
AI wouldn't be brought B/ hadn't been brought CI didn't bring 01 weren't brought
5. With no respect for my office the kids on me out of the window of their
dad's office, at one point missing my hat by an inch.
AI spat B/ spitted C/ have spitted D/ have been spitting
6. I assume a transport helicopter we are talking about ought to be to
carry twenty tons of cargo.
AI strong sufficiently BI strong enough C/ sufficient strong 0/ enough strong
7. Don't expect that the changes brought by the new law will make
AI around 8/ over C/ about 01 up
8. If next year's subsidy is not increased, they tickets in both museums.
AI may have to introduce C/ could have introduced
B/ can have to introduce DI might need introduce
9. Speaking quite frankly, their preseot accident rate is nothing to be proud _
N of BI at CI about D/ with
10. Before the trip I had bought myself a city plan. I it because in the end the
conference kept me so busy that I didn't leave the Congress Centre even for an bour.
N shouldn't do 8/ needn't have done C/ didn't need do D/ didn't have to do
11. They cannot mate up their minds whether or not camping in the
AI allow their teenage daughters go
CI to allow their teenage daughters to go
BI to allow their teenage daughters go
01 to allow their teenage daughters for going
12. If so many people about it, how do you want to keep it secret?
AI are discussing B/ are to be said C/ will be saying D/ are to be told
13. the Carpenters seldom manage to gather large fortunes.
AI Such a family like CI Such families like
BlThe families such as D/ Such families as
14. Instead of wasting so much time trying to locate the fault, I would have _
it for me.
N ordered a mechanic do CI made a mechanic to do
8/ had a mechanic to do 01 had a mechanic do
15. I cannot understand why nobody is working on the Welsh language version of the album. With thousands of Welsh-speaking visitors expected to take part, it ___ a best-seller.
AI will be B/ would have been C/ would be D/ were
1. We couldn't figure why the headmistress had changed her mind about
AI out BI up C/ down D/ through
2. Most experts say we should be glad if one third of will be suitable for
AI all flooded buildings C/ all buildings flooded
BI the flooded buildings all D/ all the buildings flooded
3. I know how much you dislike him, but when you meet him you should behave as
if you to your best friend.
AI had been talking B! would talk C/ were talking DI talk
4. He sold all his property and went away to America never again.
N hearing of him C/ to hear of him
BI being heard about D/ to be heard of
5. There should be no problems with the neighbours as long as nobody _
AI gets drunk B/ will get drunk C/ won't get drunk D/ got drunk
6. I didn't go with them since I for a test on the following day.
AI must have prepared C/ have been preparing
B/ had to prepare
0/ was being prepared
7. When the accident occurred, they were travelling 30 mph.
AI with a speed of BJ with the speed CI at the speed of DI on the speed of
8. You should be very glad that Bob didn't recognize you that night. Can you
imagine his fury if he ?
AI did BI had CI did not DI would have
9. I must warn you I am not used to so rudely.
AI speak B/ being spoken to C/ speak to me D/ be spoken to
10. The ceremony was watched by Bristol supporters.
AI thousands of Bf five thousands C/ many thousands 01 five thousand of
11. It's a pity you didn't take the exam. Professor Wynne was in such excellent spirits
that he you.
AI wouldn't fail Bf oughtn't to fail C/ hadn't failed D/ WOUldn't have failed
12. No single statistics will ever exactly measure inflation because there are too many
products change too often in response to all sorts of market
AI the prices of BI whose prices C/ which prices 01 that the prices
13. Don't blame the boys. They couldn't stay at the station after 10. Don't tell me
they the Embassy.
AI could contact
C/ should have contacted
B/ ought to contact
DI would be able to contact
14. In the wake of the revolution hundreds of government officials the
country escaping imprisonment and torture at the hands of the revolutionaries.
N have been fleeing BJ flew CI fled D/ had flown
15. The first moments of the race, for which we since the beginning of the
school year, were always a bit tense.
N have been preparing BI have prepared CJ were preparing D/ had been preparing
1. Phil and his wife are decent people who would hate about in this way.
AI talking Bf being talked CI to talk D/ talk
2. All the afternoon the kids were out on the beach and so Eva and I
some serious talk about what was going wrong in our marriage. With the children
around, such discussion would have been impossible.
AI might have B/ were able to have CI could have had 0/ had to have
3. As Joe's roommate I find him a fairly nice fellow, even if at times it is not easy
to his noisy behaviour.
AI put down for B/ put off with C! put up with DI put in for
4. The fall of the Berlin Wall surprised even people like Prof. Huss, who _
the fall of communism for a decade or so.
AI has announced Bf has been announcing C/ was announcing Df had announced
5. Being totally opposed to the project, Lady Sarah that it would increase
job opportunities of the local people. But she considered the environmental objections of far greater importance.
AI has had to agree B/ must have agreed CI did agree 01 couldn't agree
6. The post-war decade was excellent for most ranchers. I'm afraid today none of
them may have , say, in 1950.
AI as many cattle as B/ so much cattle like C/ as many cattle like D/ as much cattle as
7. She appears all the press revelations concerning the funding of the
AI to have read 81 having read C/ that she has read D/ reading
8. We all agree somebody ought to take care of Jane after she released
from hospital. Her full recovery could take longer than six months.
AI would have been BI was C/ is D/ will be
9. As far as I can judge, she was completely unaware the seriousness of
AI with BI about C/ concerning 0/ of
10. You have to realize that if Joe Hicks you on the beach on Sunday, your
colleagues may have seen you as weU.
N had seen BI saw CI sees OJ could see
11. I cannot think of any logical reason why she should her to the studio.
N order all her students accompany CI have all her students to accompany
BI ask aU her students to accompany DI get all her students accompanying
12. As a result of the deal Jim Buckley has become he could easily double
the area of his ranch.
AI so wealthy that
C/ so wealthy man that
B/ such wealthy man that DI very wealthy man and
13. the newspapers have revealed so far can justify the action taken by the
AI Nothing of that BI Nothing as CJ Nothing that D/ Nothing what
14. If I a school with a large proportion of Francophone children, the
French pronunciation would now seem much more difficult to me.
N hadn't attended BI didn't attend C/ haven't attended D/ weren't able to attend
15. Several months after the bombing most of the houses in ruins.
Allied B/laid C/ were laying D/lay
1. Without the Council's subsidy we can't afford _
AI having all the texts translated
CI having all the texts to be translated
BI to have translated all the texts 01 to have aU the texts translated
2. We can win only if we remain united, and so we must support them the moment
they on strike.
N will have gone BI will go C! go 0/ went
3. A model which all these requirements would cost at least a thousand
pounds more, which means it would be too expensive for us anyway.
N will meet BI would meet C/ meets DI will have met
4. Walking, cycling, and swimming are among the most useful for people
who want to keep fit.
AI form of exercises B/ forms of exercises C/ forms of exercise 01 form of exercise
5. The fact of in the grim years of World War II has left deep traces on
N having brought up B/ having to bring up C/ bringing up D/ having been brought up
6. The Institute, will be celebrated in September, has become one of the
leading cultural institutions of our time.
AI which 20th anniversary CJ 20th anniversary of
BI that 20th anniversary D/ whose 20th anniversary
7. When I arrived on the spot I found out that I the heavy gas bottle on
my back because the camp-site now had electric cookers.
AI didn't need to carry C/ might not have earned
B/ needn't have carried D/ didn't need carry
8. James, who is one of our bravest men, never loses his temper; and if he _
so tense during the Friday night operation the situation must have been extremely dangerous indeed.
AI was Bf were C/ had been 01 has been
9. He felt rather embarrassed at his daughter's willingness in a topless
AI to photograph her CI to be photographed
8/ for being photographed 0/ on being photographed
10. The Mayor and the councillors, dressed in their official robes, the hero
on his arrival at the airport.
AI welcomed Bf welcame C/ have welcomed 0/ have welcome
11. All the patients suffering bronchitis were given the same course of
AI with B/ on C/ of D/ from
12. Most students did not come to my Friday lecture and Marge was not among who did.
AI the few 8f few C/ a few 0/ some few
13. It was really funny to see how they avoided in the official media after
his decision to emigrate.
AI to mention his name
C/ his name to be mentioned
B/ mentioning his name
Df his name being mentioned
14. The authorities have declared no more arrests, but in your place I'd
rather not return to the country for the time being.
AI there would be Bf it will be C/ there are to be Df there will have been
15. Look at all those people! We would now be queuing with them if 1 _
father to book the seats in advance.
AI hadn't asked 8/ wouldn't have asked C/ didn't ask 0/ wouldn't ask
1. It was very difficult interested in what he was saying.
N to pretend not to be Blto pretend not being
CI pretending not being Df pretend not to be
2. Many of the people who attended Major Gordon's funeral him for
N didn't see BI hadn't seen C/ haven't seen D/ wouldn't see
3. As it turned out, those who insisted extra time were right.
N to give them BI to be given CI on being given D/ on giving them
4. If, as Mark says, the landlord so surprised seeing the group, he must
have forgotten the arrangement.
N has been B/ had been C/ would have been 0/ was
5. Since the situation was so bad, she should care of much earlier.
N have taken 81 have been taken C/ be taking 0/ take
6. As regards bananas, we managed to pay four pounds a box.
N as little as BI as little like CI so little only 0/ so little than
7. 'Aren't you going to make a stop at Malta?"
"I wish we , but no, we'll only sail along its south coast."
N would be BI were C/ had D/ made
8. As far as I can say, Stonehaven is a small town Aberdeen.
N on the south of BI on the south from C/ south from Df south of
9. What a fool I was! I ought to all his personal letters.
N have had Phil's secretary photocopying BI have Phil's secretary's photocopy of
CJ have had Phil's secretary to photocopy D/ have had Phil's secretary photocopy
10. On leaving the school Gilbert was half of his schoolmates were in love
N so handsome young man that CJ very handsome young man and
BI such handsome young man that OJ so handsome that
11. I couldn't understand what made them all at the reception.
AI sound so formal C/ sound so formally
BI to sound so formal
01 sounding very formally
12. The boy stones at the dogs, trying desperately to frighten them away.
AI thrown BI bas been throwing C/ threw 01 has thrown
13. I'm afraid the prices might still go down in the months to come. That's why the
sooner we the car the better.
AI sold BI shall sell CI sell 01 would sell
14. My knowledge of the local dialect is very poor and I didn't understand what the
man was telling me. It would have been much better if I _
AI didn't BI did CI had 0/ would
IS. They to the concert together because Jane had agreed to baby-sit for
N could go 81 were able to go CJ could have gone 01 can go
1. The first boy or girl who all the questions is to receive the singer's new
AI will answer B/ would answer C/ answer 01 answered
2. In my opinion Stan should not be so unrealistic as to expect the first
AI his winning B/ winning 0 win D/ to win
3. Did you say 'Nathan Goldberg'? Well, person lives here.
D/ no such a
AI not such a
B/ Done such
CI no such
4. The rain water rapidly along the main street of the village cutting us
off from our coach.
AI flew BI has been flowing CI flown 01 flowed
5. Although no agreement was reached, I do believe he negotiated with us
AI in good faith Bf in the good faith CI in a good faith Df in so good a faith
6. Being so terribly busy, I could do nothing more than meet her at the airport.
Don't tell me I her the city as well.
AI must have shown B/ should have shown C/ ought to show 0/ might show
7. I'm not going to interfere. It's really not my job to tell you now who should be invited and who should not. But remember there shouldn't be any changes after the invitations
N were sent B/ have been sent C/ will have been sent 0/ will be sent
8. He claims fair treatment, which needn't necessarily be true.
AI to be denying BI being denied CJ to have denied 0/ to have been denied
9. No more than 5,000 people came to the meeting. It was last year.
AI double that figure B/ that figure doubled
CJ a double figure D/ that figure double
10. I was the only person who was upset at the news of Bell's nomination. I _
with him long enough to know he would be a failure.
A! have been working BI had worked C/ was working OJ would work
11. If, as I'm ready to believe now, the man's heart attack real, I can't
understand why they didn't call an ambulance. It would have saved them so much trouble.
Ai were B/ had been C/ was D/ would have been
12. We need somebody who would effectively describe _
Ai the main points of our project with the public
B/ the public the main points of our project
C/ to the public the main points of our project
D/ the public our project in its main points
13. Both doctors and patients tend to choose do not require special diet.
Ai such medicines which CJ medicines that
B/ such a medicines which D/ medicines
14. When you talk to the RTF people, do not show them we know all about the deal.
Look surprised, as if you about it for the first time.
AI were hearing B/ would hear C/ would have heard 0/ hear
15. It's not pleasant to think that our grandfather, contrary to his own memoirs, did
participate in the affair. I wish he _
AI never did B/ wouldn't have C/ failed to D/ had not
1. How can I prove interested in stealing their money?
AI to them that I am not BI them not to be C/ to them DOt being D/ them that I am not
2. Why shouldn't I believe him when he says he prefers at home over the
AI come with us than stay
C/ to come with us rather than stay
B/ coming with us to staying D/ coming with us from staying
3. With just one exception, the report says, each of the trees that were cut down ___ very expensive treatment for periods of up to ten years.
AI had to be under B/ was under C/ has undergone 0/ had undergone
4. After some debate the Moors have agreed to exclude abstract art their
daughter's wedding list.
AI out of BI off C') from D/ beyond
5. I'm afraid most editors normally favour -" one way or another, support
their own points of view.
AI such letters which B/ letters that CI such a letters which O/letters
6. "Where Doctor Lee for the weekend? I'm afraid we will have to invite
his wife, as well". "Well, the place doesn't really matter. Of course, I wouldn't like to spend a fortune".
AI we are to take B/ will we take CI shall we take 0/ would we take
7. We don't know how long the rink was without electricity during the night. If the
power break longer than two hours, the ice at the edges may have
begun to melt down. It is better to check it now.
N lasted BI had lasted C! would last D/ has lasted
8. The timing of his suggestion was extremely bad, as at that time the coUege board
was considering the full cost of the course.
AI getting even the poorer students pay C/ getting even the poorer students to pay
8/ to get even the poorer students to pay 01 to get even the poorer students paying
9. Given Jenny's rather difficult character, I would be very surprised if she _
very much, even if her stay abroad takes longer than planned.
AI were to miss Bf missed C/ was missing D! were missed
10. If you don't switch the lights off for the day, you risk running the battery ___ before the end of the trip.
AI out BI down C/ off D/ through
11. Animal rights is one of the hot issues on which will always show a high
level of disagreement.
AI people's opinion C/ people's opinions
BI peoples' opinion
DI the opinion of people
12. I don't think Tony's version can be taken seriously. He aU his money
on postcards because no one, not even him, can have five hundred pen friends. So, where is the money?
AI couldn't spend BI can't have spent C/ wouldn't be able to spend 01 can't spend
13. Before banging new wallpaper in my bedroom, I the shelves over my
bed, which took me over two hours.
AI have unscrewed B/ unscrew C/ had unscrewn DI unscrewed
14. Alsatians and boxers, by professional trainers, can be both guard dogs
AI if trained B/ if will be trained C/ if are trained 0/ if have been trained
15. The first thing I saw in the morning was Henry's van parked in front of the
museum. I didn't like it at all, as Henry away for another week or so.
AI was to be B/ would be C/ would have been DI should be
1. It is my responsibility as a parent to have some say in books my
children will read at school.
AI whatever B/ kind of C/ what DI which
2. Their worst mistake was to have promised every worker their wages.
AI to double BI to have doubled CJ doubling 01 the doubling
3. Our lack of interest in the project had nothing to do with money but came from
the fact that since graduation we fairly regularly. Thus, for most of
us an anniversary party had no special attraction.
AI were meeting B/ have been meeting C/ had met D/ have been met
4. If I knew how frankly to me about their personal problems, I wouldn't
need a psychologist.
N to get all those distrustful teenagers speak
B/ to make all those distrustful teenagers to speak
C/ best force all those distrustful teenagers to speak D/ to get all those distrustful teenagers to speak
5. The robbery at the ITN Bank was organized by a group of private detectives, ___ _7 let's hope, will remain absolutely exceptional.
AI which B/ what C/ who D/ that
6. Let's start by agreeing to one thing: the police should keep away from the place
as long as the fans trouble.
AI won't make Bf won't be making C/ wouldn't make Df don't make
7. When it turned out that Alice to hospital before July, I phoned the
agency to cancel the bookings. I didn't want to risk losing the money, in case she did.
AI might have to go Bf needed have gone CJ could have gone D/ needed to have gone
8. Finding the missing man without any recent photograph of him may be
impossible. And even if we it, the search could take months, if not years.
AI would have BI did have Cf might have DI had had
9. I must admit that the problem of noise rarely, if ever, comes at the
AI up BI off C/ round DI through
10. Jf, as some newspapers say, some candidates a chance to correct their
papers after the test, the exam will have to be repeated.
AI had been given B/ are given C/ were given D/ would be given
11. After arriving in Tunisia, I was amazed to see how quickly my children got used ___ with the local people about the prices of fruit or dried figs.
AI to bargain B/ bargaining C/ to be bargaining D/ to bargaining
12. While it is not an easy book, I'm sure we can find people who could
say something interesting on it.
AI hardly any BI quite few CI a few 0/ quite the few
13. Why don't we ask Doris to welcome all the guests? She looked when we
were meeting the Dutch.
AI simple charmingly BI simply charming C/ simple charming 0/ simply charmingly
14. It is stupid to claim, as some journalists do, that the accident was due to an
extraordinary coincidence, and at the same time that we it.
AI could prevent B/ might have prevented C/ ought to prevent D/ were to prevent
15. As far as I know her, Miss Veil is still waiting for the role she played
in the opening of the club. I don't think she wants any money.
AI for saying thank you B/ to be thanked CI to thank her Of for thanking
1. There were a few dictionaries at the reception desk. But since I knew _
away, I didn't even look at them.
Al they had been taken BI they shouldn't have been taken
C/ there weren't taken 01 they were not to be taken
2. As far as orchids are concerned, the most experienced person is undoubtedly
Miss Ito. She appears all the relevant articles in specialist journals.
AI she has read 81 having read C/ reading DI to have read
3. On top of everything the nurses taking Granddad for X-raying were smoking in
the lift, inevitably, the old man considered a direct threat to his life.
AI that B/ which C/ what D/ whom
4. I agree that while the soup was OK, the meat was too dry - we it about
20 minutes too long.
AI have been roasting BI roast C/ had roast 01 bad roasted
5. I don't think Alistair is our most suitable candidate. But he is the only one who,
hopefully, when the appointments are made in March.
Al won't be vetoed BI doesn't veto CI will not be vetoing D/ is not going to veto
6. The Prince's aircraft had to undergo a security check and so we to him
for almost an hour. Father was very impressed as normally he could have counted on nothing more than a handshake.
AI might talk BI were able to talk CI could have talked D/ may have talked
7. The students seem rather determined that the rent strike should go on until the
university its policy on students hostels.
AI will modify 81 had modified CI has modified D/ will have modified
8. Most of us found the Mayor's idea their own candidates for royal
honours a little awkward; but he was right, of course.
N of having the local people to nominate c/ of having the local people nominate
BI of getting the local people nominate D/ to let the local people for nominating
9. I must say with regret that I was right criticizing the mixing of footpaths and cycle lanes in the Botley area. The accidents which have since happened there clearly
show that the changes introduced.
N have better not been C/ should rather not be
B/ should never be
0/ should never have been
10. We were lucky because as we were leaving, the computer at the gate went wrong
and instead of showing how many hours at the car park only read ONE
HOUR for each car. We saved at least 10 pounds.
Ai have we been 81 were we CJ we had been Df we have been
11. Rather luckily for the child, the experience to the hospital in London
partly reduced the physical trauma of the accident.
Al of airlifting him BI that airlifted him CI of being airlifted D/ of airlifting
12. At the end of the campaign all the contributions were listed, with Amanda's
donation being the smallest of all; I wish she more generous on that
Al had been 81 would have been Cf was Df were
13. What makes Jocelyn so attractive for children is her extraordinary gift _
imitating animals' voices.
N of 8f for CJ at Df in
14. If, as the chairman has said, the other three candidates men with
references from very serious banks, the girl who eventually got the job must have been very bright, indeed.
A} are B/ were CI had been DI will be
15. Rather conventionally, the dancers representing Indians will be covered in '
Ai red body paint 8f body red paint C/ the red body paint D/ a red body paint
1. In spite of gathering speakers from abroad, the 1996 conference was
at least as interesting as any of the previous ones.
A} relatively a few B/ relatively less C! less relative DI relatively few
2. Everything should be all right now but, of course, call us again if too
noisy in the hall.
N it will get BI there is C/ it is Df there would be
3. We aU understand that the main purpose of the show should be good
about their contribution.
Al to make all those taking part feeling C/ making all those taking part to feel
81 making that all those taking part will feel DI to make all those taking part feel
4. I suppose that the risk for an indefinite period of time made many of
us more disciplined.
N of cutting off BI to cut us off CI of being cut off D/ to be cut off
5. One of the sad moments of the cruise was saying goodbye to Mel, who _
with us since we set sail but whose health problems forced him to leave us at Lagos.
AI had sailed B/ bas been sailing C/ was sailing D/ has sailed
6. The producers of this wine imported grapes to it, which would explain its
dryness. Home varieties containing more sugar were extremely expensive last year.
A/ could add B/ may have added C/ have added DI ought to have added
7. A short silence should help listeners to concentrate. If you start speaking the
moment your name out, that effect might be lost.
AI is called BI was called CI will be called DI would be called
8. Almost without exception politicians of the period believed that regulation was
always bad for the economy. What they though was the production and
sale of alcohol.
AI didn't regulate B/ have regulated CI must have regulated 0/ did regulate
9. Had it not been for that stupid , we would have had plenty of time at
A/ idea of his B/ idea of him CI George's idea D/ idea of George
10. The soup was all right but the pizza was just as I had feared: canned olives
instead of fresh ones. I'd rather a plate of spaghetti with sauce.
A/ ordered B/ have ordered C/ had ordered D/ order
11. You will see it is not a very difficult job - all is to keep the guests
AI what matters really C/ that really matters
B/ what really matters
DJ which will really matter
12. I was going to give up full insurance of my car but my agent finally persuaded me
not to. Just think about my present situation if she _
N did B/ had not C/ would not D/ did not
13. As long as she continues her part of the debt, we cannot talk to her
about any future projects.
N refusing payment of B/ to refuse paying C/ refusing paying D/ to refuse to pay
14. From my children's point of view, our new home was clearly a change _
AI to the BI for the C/ on D/ on the
15. Each time we drove into the sun, my daughter down the window on her
side of the car.
N wound BI winded CJ has been winding Df has winded
1. It's absurd! In the first section they praise us for preventing a "major epidemic"
and in the next one they write that we so many people.
AI didn't need to vaccinate C/ didn't need vaccinate
B/ needn't have vaccinated 0/ needn't to have vaccinated
2. Anna always cared much about her looks and I wasn't surprised that she was
really delighted for her daughter's sister.
AI by taking her B/ to take her C/ to be taken 0/ to have taken her
3. And what shall we do if the meeting ends AFTER ten? I'd rather you _
alone through the park at night.
AI don't walk B/ won't walk C/ not walk 01 didn't walk
4. I'm glad I managed to talk Sandra out of buying a dog. If I , we would
now be looking for a pet-friendly hotel.
AI hadn't B/did C/ didn't 0/ wouldn't
.5. Nobody visits the office on Sunday, which means that by the time the first workers ___ the burglary, the burglars may have left the country with the documents.
AI would have discovered B/ have discovered C/ had discovered D/ did discover
6. In the hospital, the case was diagnosed as pneumonia. Before she had been
treated hay fever.
AI for 81 on C/ against DI from
7. While consistently refusing to go into details of his affair with Rita, the poet ___ several questions about her opinion of his poetry.
AI didn't answer B/ did answer CI must have answered D/ has answered
8. The explanation of the birds' behaviour that was put by ornithologists
seems rather awkward.
AI up BI through C/ down D/ forward
9. Tun doesn't seem to be particularly fond of his school but, of course, when he
declares that the very day he he'll make a bonfire to bum all his books,
this is some sort of exaggeration.
AI will have graduated B/ will graduate CI graduates D/ is going to graduate
10. Captain Edward Smith, for all his years at sea, did not understand the ship ___ he was rewarded in recognition of his past services to the line.
N with whose command C/ the command of which
B/ with which command 0/ which command
11. Either we make an effort and invest huge sums in the project or we 10
the not so-distant future.
N will be outperformed B/ are outperforming
C! will be outperforming D/ will have to outperform
12. Even if scouting has lost most of its appeal for kids, in our school there are ___ boys interested in it.
AI very few 8/ quite few CJ quite a few Df rather fewer
13. If the music you heard a Mozart's sonata, we must have been listening
to different radio stations.
AI were B/ was C/ had been 0/ would be
14. Most teens are now crazy about ecology so I don't think we can afford _
with factory chimneys.
AI allowing our logo to be linked
C/ to allow our logo for being linked
B/ allowing our logo being linked DI to allow our logo to be linked
15. Older employees remember that some time after his nomination James Wills ____ to be involved in the sale of smuggled brandy.
AI was told BI was said CI had been speaking Of did talk
1. If the birds Peter saw were larger than geese, he wild swans. Black
storks don't fly this way.
N could see B/ had to see C/ might have seen D/ bad rather seen
2. Roy's attraction stemmed from the fact that his Dad to own most of
the land north of the site.
AI had said Bf was said Cf had been told Df was being told
3. No accidents have been recorded. Well, we've faxed all our customers _
us for a quick check.
N they'd better contact CI they'd better contacted
B/ it's better to have contacted 0/ they'd better have contacted
4. By criticising the fum at the meeting, Leo his own grave. Did you see
how furious the boss was?
N digged B/ dug C/ has been digging 0/ had digged
5. Well, we should warn them that if they didn't see Ernst Thm's exhibition last
year, they some of his paintings rather shocking.
AI might have found BI might find C/ may have to find DI would find
6. It's not realistic to hope the local people won't object for a facility they
will never use themselves.
AI to having to pay B/ against having to pay CI to have to pay D/ to be paying
7. Every time we are to visit Granny my brother and I wish she silly
remarks about our clothes. Well, most of the times she does.
AI won't make B/ didn't make C/ wouldn't make D/ doesn't make
8. I'm afraid starting the race today is the question. Look at this snow.
AI beyond BI none C/ out of D/ away
9. When the change is introduced, the law will require that every schoolchild, of
whatever social class, a national exam on leaving the secondary school.
The score will then be used by universities.
A! was taking BI took C/ bad taken DI take
10. For the time being we can only offer courses in mathematics or logic.
Any experimental sciences would require a lab.
A! such subjects as B/ the subjects such as CI such subjects like D/ such a subject like
11. Don't spend too much time made in the previous test. It's a waste of
AJ discussing the errors B/ on discussing with the pupils about errors
CI discussing with the pupils what errors were D/ to discuss about the errors
12. We certainly didn't expect that so many people would tum to see the
AI in BI over C/ round Dl out
13. Well, as long as Mr Tinn to say things we might find embarrassing, his
presence is not a problem.
A! won't lead B/ won't be lead CI doesn't lead DI isn't led
14. At the gallery where I worked before coming here every painting on
exhibition longer than two months had its price automatically reduced. The next reduction was after half a year.
A! which has been BI that had been CI which was D/ that would be
15. We should take Dingo with us just in case one of the boys nasty. Not
that I'd like them to.
AI would tum B/ will tum C/ turns D/ shall turn
1. The aircraft, which originally headed Heathrow, had to make an
emergency landing at Orly.
AI for BI on C/ at 0/ into
2. Seeing Peter's handwriting on the envelope, she the letter without
reading it. She has not mentioned it ever since.
AI teared B/ tore C/ tom D/ has tom
3. The gangsters avoided arrest for several weeks because they the state.
N thought about leaving C/ were thinking to leave
B/ were thought to be leaving 0/ were thought to have left
4. I was very upset to learn that my first opponent would be Sam Meller, who ___ part in tournaments for no less than ten years.
A} was taking B/ has been taking C/ took 0/ had been taking
5. Most correspondents seem to believe that Mr Field the legal battle
over the rights to the patent. If this happens, the situation of his firm may soon become critical.
N would lose B/ loses C/ will lose D/ will have lost
6. Since she was too weak to walk, we her back to the gallery where her
husband was waiting for her in a rented car.
A} must have driven B/ have driven C/ had to drive 0/ ought to drive
7. Professor Knight came this extraordinary document in the archives of
the War Office.
A} to B/ across CI along 01 through
8. What a pity this is only a 19th century copy. Can you imagine the curator's
enthusiasm if we him with the original?
AI presented 8/ would present CI present D/ have presented
9. We waited over five hours for Sam Willis in the hope the project.
A} to get his sisters and him finance
CI of getting his sisters and him fmance
B/ to get his sisters and him to finance
D/ of getting his sisters and him to finance
10. Unfortunately Mrs Spikes was away. I only spoke to some who told me
she had gone to Bradbury to visit her daughter.
N neighbour of her
C/ of the neighbours of hers
B/ neighbour of hers 0/ from her neighbours
11. Next Friday, when Cindy her last exam at the college, I'll be taking her
out for dinner at the Continental.
AI will pass Bf will have passed C/ has passed D/ passed
12. It was very naive on your part aware of the Council's decision.
AI to pretend not being C/ to pretend not to be
B/ pretending not to be Df pretend not being
13. He may still try to do something to improve his image but I know how it will end:
he to stop coming.
AI will tell BI is said C/ will be said D/ will be told
14. I regret I didn't take part because this year's competitors were surprisingly weak.
I the first winner from our university.
AI might have become B/ could become 0 would easily become DI was able to become
15. Wait a minute, Susan! We cannot allow the pupils to read they would
pick themselves. They would end up with S-F and cheap love stories.
AI only that what 8/ just what C/ just which Df only that
1. He the umbrella in his right hand trying to keep his balance.
AI hold Bf has been holding C! held D/ has held
2. I was prepared to have to give my speech in an almost empty hall so it was
something of a surprise to see that quite students did in fact attend.
AI few B/ a few CI some Df many
3. It wouldn't be wise to wait till all our weaknesses exposed. Something
ought to be done about it straight away.
AI have been BI were CI wiJl be 01 will have been
4. Even if we had been given much more money for the course, we would, for
obvious reasons, the housework by themselves.
AI have had our students doing B/ have to have our students doing
C/ have had our students do D/ have had our students to do
5. Barbara's letter from Sidney the last one, so I was very surprised to fmd
another blue envelope with Australian stamps in my mail.
N had been Bf would have been C/ ought to be D/ was to be
6. There may be serious problems if we don't find the box containing the poison.
All we know at present is that it disappeared while to a laboratory in
N was taken 8/ taking C/ taking it 0/ being taken
7. There will be a special meeting the new regulations concerning the
N explaining our students
CI about explaining our students
81 to have explained every student D/ to explain to our students
8. The company might make much more money if it in a more aggressive
AI had run B/ ran C/ were run 0/ would run
9. Asthma is a lung disease which _
N makes it difficult to breathe C/ makes it difficult breathing
B/ it makes difficult to breathe D/ makes difficult to breathe
10. I can't quite understand why the construction of the plant took eight years. I'm
sure they it in half that time.
AI were able to complete C/ could complete
BI could have completed 0/ ought to complete
11. He was not at aU interested in what was going on around him, but insisted ___ back to his country on the first flight.
AI to be sent B/ on sending him CI to send him Df on being sent
12. Everything should go on as planned unless the weather considerably
N will get Bf got C/ gets 0/ had got
13. 1\vo policemen were attacked and hurt by 'a group of Glasgow supporters ___ to the railway station.
N on a way B/ on their way C/ by the way 0/ by way
14. As far as I remember, most of last September was sunny and hot. But this might
have been an exception and so my advice is that you some warm
clothes with you.
N should take B/ might have taken C/ oughtn't to take Of should have taken
15. Let's put it this way: anything should be checked by independent
AI what the Governor will announce C/ what the Governor announces
B/ that the Governor will announce
DI to have been announced by the Governor
1. His lecture on country music was something teachers could only dream
AI other BI of what other C/ what other D/ whose other
2. Stop it! I hate what I shouldn't do.
AI telling me 8/ being said C/ being told 0/ talking to me
3. Don't go to sleep with a cigarette or you will set _
AI fire on the house
C! the fire on the bouse
B/ the house on fire D/ to the house fire
4. After so many defeats the team's manager . Most supporters will be
happy if he does.
AI may have had to go CI might be forced to go
B/ may have to go 0/ must have gone
5. The whole operation was a failure. Due to a technical fault in the detonator the
bomb didn't at all.
A! come off 8/ go off C/ burst off D/ break off
6. The police acted too slowly. By the time the first car arrived the gangsters ___ away with the money.
AI had driven B/ did drive C/ have driven D/ were driving
7. All through the trial, she some signs of sympathy from her friends.
Most of the time in vain.
A! has been seeking B/ see ked C/ has sought 0/ sought
8. Well, he his train in the end because twenty minutes later I saw him
AI had to miss Bf had had to miss
CI must have missed DI could miss
9. It was fairly simple. I sorted out the situation simply by a report.
A! baving each of them write C/ baving each of them to write
B/ asking each of them write
D/ making each of them to write
10. Don't worry. After rest she'll be all right.
AI bardly any BI the little C/ just little D/ a little
11. Don't ask me to show you the slides before my wife them. Call it
censorship if you like.
N seeing BI will have seen CI has seen Of saw
12. In that situation there was nothing I could do for her; even if I less busy.
AI would be B/ were C/ would have been 01 had been
13. I'm afraid this time we'll have to wait six or seven months.
AI as long like BI so long time like C/ as long as 01 such long as
14. I can promise you that unless I to, I will not open my mouth.
AI speak BI will be spoken CI will have spoken Of am spoken
15. '~e you going to visit us in Bristol?"
"I wish I . Unfortunately, I'll only spend an hour there."
A! were Bf would be C/ did Of had
1. It's quite possible that James won't remember my medicine on his way
back from work. Then I'll have to drive to the pharmacy myself in the evening.
AI to buy B/ buy C/ buying DI of buying
2. He sometimes forgets to wind her alarm-clock and then gets to school
at the last moment.
A! back BI on C/ up Df for
3. If the postal strike doesn't end by next week, we to the bank for
a short-term loan.
A! may have to tum Bf can have to tum CI may have turned 01 will have turned
4. The driver violently and managed to stop the car just inches from the
body lying on the road.
A! broke B/ broken C/ brake Of braked
5. Since we received by the governor, we were all dressed formally and it
was a great disappointment when the audience was cancelled.
N had been BI were to be Cf have been DI would have been
6. They are not buying any coal because they expect in their home by the
end of September.
AI to have gas heating installed CI to have installed gas healing
B/ having gas heating to be installed D/ having gas healing installed
7. The company's situation is hopeless and I can't see what the new president might
do to improve it; even if he a genius, which he is not.
AI would be BI is to be CJ will be DI were
8. device was used in a tractor engine in Texas some forty years ago.
AI First such a B/The first such C! First such DI The first such a
9. I'm a busy man and I have plenty of work to do. And I strongly object _
to spend long hours in the waiting-room.
AI to be forced BI against forcing me Clto being forced DI to force me
10. Even in the first few months the language was not a problem as he it
since his student days.
AI has been studying BI was studying C/ had studied D/ studied
11. We never saw him again because soon afterwards he died in Singapore _
AI off BI for C/ with DI of
12. You know I have nothing against your relatives, dear, but I'd rather you _
them for Saturday. I'm going to be very busy over the weekend.
N don't invite BI didn't invite C/ won't invite D/ not invite
13. The inspectors decided to stop work in the pit because the danger to _
was too big.
AI miner's life BI miners's lives CI miners' life D/ miners' lives
14. Recent opinion polls show growing public support for a radical cure that once ___ anathema: censorship.
AI would have been B/ may have been C/ would seem D/ has seemed
15. Knowing Philip for so many years, I don't think he is feeling any real need ___ for what happened last Saturday.
AI to excuse B/ to be excused CI for excusing D/ that we excuse
1. They are preparing a new law which will make the State.
AI it illegal to criticize C! it illegal criticizing
8/ illegal criticizing Df illegal to criticize
2. If the company's bank account remains blocked, they to pay us back
AI might not be able C/ can't be able
BI may have been unable D/ can be unable
3. Even before all our men off, the whole situation seemed absurd to me.
A! have called Bf had called C/ called 01 were called
4. I don't quite understand why they objected party conferences.
A! to let women under thirty attend BI to letting women under thirty attend
C/ to letting women under thirty to attend DI against letting women under thirty attend
5. At first the idea me as silly; but I may have been wrong.
AI stroke B/ has stricken CI struck 0/ has striked
6. I agree that children ought to be treated like human beings but I'd rather you ___ for Amy to make up her mind about our holiday plans.
AI not wait Bf won't wait C/ don't wait Df didn't wait
7. The worst moment came when Barry had a sudden idea in every
Ai for installing cable 1V
CI to have cable 1V installed
B/ to have installed cable 1V 01 of cable TV being installed
8. the report was not particularly advantageous to the firm.
A! Publishing of BI A publishing of CI Publishing 01 The publishing of
9. Although Lady Sarah strongly defended her late husband's reputation, she ___ the financial irregularities described by your paper.
N didn't mention Bf did mention Cf has mentioned Of wouldn't mention
10. Luckily, the passengers were sure this was a drill. Can you imagine their panic if
they the danger was real '1
N were told Bf had been told C/ would be told 01 told
11. It may seem interesting, but a large part of on this subject is nonsense.
AI that I have found
c/ that which I could find
B/ that what I could find 0/ what I have found
12. Before we decide to support him, he ought to prove good intentions.
AI to us having BI to us that he bas C/ us to have D/ us that he has
13. There is very little hope for the homeless unless a sponsor _
AI will find itself B/ will be found C/ is found DI would be found
14. The programme at 11: 15 when most people are at work.
AI was broadcast B/ was broadcasted C! broadcast D/ was broadcasting
15. I hope the committee will respect its own regulations which are quite clear on this point: no applications should be accepted after the list signed by the
AI will be Bf was C/ has been Df will have been
1. If you up before the journey, we wouldn't have lost half an hour
looking for a petrol station in an unknown city.
N had remembered to fill C! remembered to fill
BI had remembered filling DI remembered filling
2. The rich banker she married was almost
AI in twice her age C/ at her age twice
8/ at twice of her age Df twice her age
3. For a person with such a sense of humour, at should not be a problem.
AI to laugh B/laughing C/ being laughing D/ to be laughed
4. As far as I know, there no more boxing matches at the Sports Palace
till the end of the season. The manager himself has told me so.
Al won't be B/ are to be CI will have been Df have been
5. Don't you think that, since the two brothers do not speak to each other, we ___ big problems getting their wives to sit together at the party?
AI might have B/ may have had 0 may be able to have 01 could have got
6. I don't need a car; we live easy reach of the shops.
N upon BI at C/ within 01 towards
7. After our country joins the EU, competition in this field will get even stronger.
Unless a miracle his firm must fail.
N happens B/ will happen CI would happen DI will have happened
8. She had she didn't in fact need a shawl.
AI such a long hair that CI such long hair that
BI such a long hair and D/ so long a hair that
9. My application came too late. By the time it reached the Agency, aU the funds distributed.
AI were being BI had been C/ have been D/ would have been
10. I can imagine it's fascinating to be a beauty queen, dear, but I'd rather you ___ a degree in finance after studying it for almost five years.
AI not give up 81 won't give up C/ didn't give up 0/ don't give up
11. I cannot understand why he suggested earlier.
AI his friends leaving
C/ his friends they should leave
BI to his friends that they should leave 01 his friends to leave
12. Let's be quite frank about it: nothing about the Board was particularly
AI what we heard BI which we heard CI what did we hear DI that we heard
13. At my wife's mention of the hidden treasure, the boy's eyes with
AI shone B/ shined CI have shun 01 have shined
14. For my tooth it tasted a little bit . Alice had poured too much vinegar
into the sauce.
AI sourly BI too sourly C/ too sour DI not sour enough
15. Since, for some time, our service limited to the area of Fulton, we
withdrew the rest of the ads.
AI must have been BI had to be C/ has been D/ would have been
1. As far as I can say the Chairman was perfectly satisfied with Bob's explanation
of the incident, although to me it didn't sound _
N too convincingly BI enough convincingly C/ convincingfully at all D/ very convincing
2. On that evening the landlady let us into her kitchen and so we the
normal gas cooker with four rings. Making so many pancakes on my two-ring electric stove would have taken too long.
AI could use B/ could have used Cf were able to use D/ may have used
3. We have to complete the film this month. No matter how cold it , all
the summer scenes will have to be shot tomorrow.
AI would be BI will be CJ were Df is
4. The school wrote to all the parents asking them if they would help to paint the library
during the next half term. Well, the sad truth is that no parent has come _
AI forward B/ ahead C/ through 01 down
5. You shouldn't take the content of this booklet too seriously. If over 60 per cent
of university students opera fans, last year's festival wouldn't have been
such a financial disaster.
AI are BJ were C/ would be D/ had been
6. We felt great relief that the heavy traffic of lorries, which since the first days of
the construction work on the bypass us mad, came to an end.
AI was driving BJ has been driving C! had been driving D/ has nearly driven
7. Reporting such events makes the public more concerned about personal safety.
As a result, teenage girls will want to attend self-defence courses.
N tens of thousands of BJ many thousands Q several thousand of Df tens of thousands
8. I'm trying to imagine the possible reaction of a middle-aged rock singer _
his latest album will never get played on the radio simply because of his age.
Ai just told B/ having just been said C/ just saying Df having just told
9. Instead of condemning John, you ought to try to imagine yourself having to make
the decisions he was forced to make in his position.
Al would you be Bf had you been C/ if you would be D/ if you were
10. Last year about 30 per cent of disability benefits went to people with no health problems; you shouldn't be surprised then if they send you to some medical tests
before your pension extended.
AI will have been B/ will be C/ is DJ was
11. Even with bed shortage, such things should not happen. Asking old Mr Parks to
wait is a shame.
AI some other six weeks yet C/ yet other six weeks
B/ yet another six weeks D/ other six weeks yet
12. Jeremy is a terrible snob; when he takes part in the debates of our Fine Arts
Society, it is typical of him the works of artists he hasn't even heard
N pretending to see
C! to pretend to have seen
B/ to pretend having seen 0/ pretending having seen
13. We'd better be careful with Lisa. After your phone call, she awake half
the night crying.
N has lied B/lay C/ was laying D/laid
14. I'm very glad I am going to play on Saturday. But as I'm still rather weak after
my knee injury, I'm not at all sure the whole 90 minutes.
N if I'll manage B/ how I would manage C/ if I have managed 01 I manage
15. The stay in Geneva was quite useful, although the course in Swiss law that
I chose turned out to be a disappointment. I'd rather statistics, which
my girlfriend said was very good.
AI took B/ had taken CI take DI have taken
1. It's too early to know whether there are jobs for this year's graduates
or whether there are too few.
N too much B/ sufficiently CJ a lot 0/ enough
2. We were both very excited about the visit, as we each other for ages.
N never saw B/ hadn't seen C/ didn't see D/ haven't seen
3. For most patients, the new regulations the waiting period, as individual
doctors could no longer make decisions on their own.
N longed B/ have lengthen C/ lengthed 01 lengthened
4. You will have no more than five minutes for placing the animal back in the cage.
Once the drug , you should again keep away from it.
N will have ceased to work C/ will cease working
B/ ceases to work
0/ would cease to work
5. Whenever I take Granny to the railway station, I wish she her horrible
pink umbrella on the train; but she is very careful about her personal things.
AI will leave B/ ought to have left CI would leave DI left
6. It is not very big: , maybe smaller.
AI twice the size of a tennis ball B/ at the size of a tennis ball twice
C! of the size of a tennis ball twice
0/ twice of a size of a tennis ball
7. They should think we are a group of tourists. Let's look surprised as if we here for the first time.
AI would be BI were C/ are 01 have been
8. On the last day we went to see the show, which, contrary the sceptics'
opinions, was fairly amusing.
AI to Bf of C/ from Of against
9. Only six people the exact date of the visit and Bob was not among
them. And so his presence at the airport was a surprise for all of us.
Af would have been given BI would be given CI were to be given DJ were being given
10. Well, since Mr Rawlison doesn't seem to be very cooperative in what regards the
timing of the tour, we our participation in it. Of course, it would be
better not to withdraw.
Af had had to rethink CI may have to rethink
BI might have rethought Of maybe rethink
11. Jenny is an early riser and she shouldn't object the trip before 7 am.
Ai to have to start B/ to starting CI against starting 01 to start
12. Hyou believe in the newspapers, you will not be wiser than people who
read nothing at all.
AI all that is published C/ all that published
Bf all what is published
0/ all that which is published
13. AU the guests seemed to have enjoyed the party, although Ann some
more attractive records.
N could choose B/ was able to choose C! should choose D/ could have chosen
14. It is hard to imagine what it was like up at an army base.
AI to have brought B/ having brought C/ being bringing 0/ to have been brought
15. What will you do if they don't agree , There is no way we can force them.
AI to have their luggage searched B/ on having their luggage searched
C/ to having searched their luggage DI to have searched their luggage
1. Leo didn't remember the heating on when going away for the weekend
and as a result some flowers in the hall were destroyed by the frost.
AI to turn B/ turning C/ to have turned D/ having turned
2. As it turned out, the real hero of the contest was Dave Baker, a schoolboy from
Trent, who on the skateboard for a couple of months.
AI only practised BI has only been practising
C/ was only practising Df had only been practising
3. The salad was uneatable because Lucy it twice.
AI had salt Bf salt Cf bad saltened Df had salted
4. If the sceptics before the debate, a lot of people may have second
thoughts about the plan.
A! cannot be silencing B/ do not silence C! are not silenced Df wouldn't silence
5. After paying the bill I had some money left and so I a T-shirt with
Magic Johnson, which my son said was the best present he had ever received.
AI might buy B/ was able to buy C! could have bought D! might have to buy
6. The situation was a little embarrassing when Alice served roast beef for dinner.
I wish I her that Greg was a vegetarian.
AI would tell Bf told C/ better told Of had told
7. Why don't we meet in the evening? I can have a beer with you when I am ___ duty but not now.
N off B/ out of C! after 01 outside
8. The reports show that our sales have risen more than 20 per cent since we ___ the first posters with the golden nut.
N had hung BI hung C/ hanged D/ have hung
9. I'm afraid we'll have to start from scratch; nothing thus far can be of
any real use to us.
N what they have prepared CI they have prepared
BI has been prepared
Df of which has been prepared
10. The place was redecorated with great care and looked as if it _
N has never been BI had never been C/ never were Of were never
11. The day before the demonstration police blocked most access roads to the town
by special barriers.
AI setting down BI setting up C/ putting about D/ putting forward
12. She does the typing of our school bulletin, which at times may be _
AI a vel)' hard work Bf a hardwork C/ very hard work DI very hard a work
13. If you go on insisting a copy of every report, you'll end up buried under
a pile of paper.
AI to be given BI on giving you C/ on being given Df to give you
14. Any changes are possible in the phase of the drafting of the document. But,
please, Adam, don't try to change the text after it upon.
AI was agreed BI will have been agreed C/ will be agreed D/ has been agreed
15. After a number of incidents with the police we decided to close down the club
altogether. But now I think that maybe we it open.
AI should have kept B/ ought to keep C/ should better keep Df should rather keep
1. You should try to follow the lecture without asking questions unless you ___ something important.
Ai have missed BI wiD miss C/ had missed DI would miss
2. Without turning my head in the direction of the gate I a small object
just under the fence.
N spot B/ have spot C/ have spotted D/ spotted
3. Since the Green Contest before the end of the school year, I was
against extending the deadline.
Ai must have been judged CI has been judged
BI had to be judged
D/ would have been judged
4. You don't have to burst with energy but you shouldn't look , either.
AJ too helplessly BI such helpless C/ totally helpless DI helplessly enough
5. When I saw that the main prize which I of since the announcement of
the lottery would go to Milly, I started crying.
AI had dreamt B/ have dreamt CI have been dreaming D/ was dreaming
6. Speaking about Mr Monti, I just met who said he was the best lawyer
AI a client of him BI a client of his C/ the client of his D/ another his client
7. I think we ought to be glad that Bob didn't tum to us for advice. I can't imagine
what it might have been if he _
AI did B/ came C/ would D/ had
8. At the beginning of the book Paula's story is told at one point the
reader is completely lost.
AI in such clumsy way that C/ so clumsily that
B/ in so clumsy way that D/ in very clumsy way and
9. You will feel better after the fifth pill. But you should go on taking them until
you aU twenty. Last year you stopped the treatment too early.
AI took B/ have taken C! will have taken DI will take
10. What is the point yet another language one year before leaving the
AI of geuing some of them take
C/ to get some of them to be taking
BI to get some of them take
D/ of getting some of them to take
11. I didn't risk a shower because of the temperature in the bathroom. I wish
I so cold in the castle.
AI would have been told there was C/ had been told it was
B/ was told there is
D/ had been told there was
12. Now that we are danger, we no longer need police protection.
AI off Bf out of CJ away from DJ outside
13. Ann is right. She couldn't ask for another set of questions half way through the
examination. Well, maybe she the examiners for some additional
AI could ask Bf ought to ask C/ should have asked D/ would be able to ask
14. People whose main concern is may eventually develop some serious
N not overfeeding C/ not to overfeed
Bf not to be overfeeding Df not to be overfed
15. I am rather reluctant to use methods which have not been tried before.
AI out BI up Clan D/ for
1. To remain on the safe side, we should not take things for granted and should be able to cope with all kinds of contingency; in Salts, for instance, the villagers ___ for accommodating all the visitors.
AI may have been unprepared CI may be unprepared
B/ need not to be prepared 0/ must not be prepared
2. Although a majority of authors stand firmly against euthanasia, you will find in favour of it.
AI quite few Bf hardly any C/ hardly none D/ quite a few
3. On the last day of the tour we made a stop at the headquarters of the 5th
Regiment and had a meeting with its veterans, for most of us was
a rather moving occasion.
AI who BI that CI which 01 what
4. You won't find a camera with so many functions; it so heavy as to be
hardly usable in field work.
AI would have to be B/ would have been C/ were 0/ had to be
5. About two miles from the village, the road steeply, considerably
slowing our progress in the direction of the mountain pass.
AI has started raising Bf raised C/ has risen 0/ rose
6. I fully understand the point you are making about experimenting with soft drugs.
Well, if my parents me to the school where teachers had similar views,
I might perhaps find it convincing.
AI wouldn't send B/ didn't send CI hadn't sent Df wouldn't have sent
7. We were rather surprised this job. We thought she still lacked the
AI at Fiona to be given C/ Fiona to be given
B/ by giving Fiona
Df for Fiona to be given
8. I am a serious man and I really could not by another examiner.
AI promise Bob to have his son's paper reread
8/ have promised Bob having his son's paper reread C/ promise to Bob rereading his son's paper
DI promise Bob rereading his son's paper
9. The best wood for building this type of canoe is oak. But since no oak is
available, we'll have to it.
A! do without 8/ make without C/ take without 0/ carry without
10. Knowing Irene as I do, I was certain she would protest about for the defeat.
AI holding her responsibility BI being held responsible
c/ having held responsibility D/ holding responsible
11. We should believe what Jim is telling us. If there no post in the
morning, the postman could have begun his round later or the postal van could have broken down again
AI had been BI was CI were 0/ would have been
12. It was not easy to get a general picture out of that started arriving soon
after the incident.
AI so much conflicting information C/ so many conflicting informations
B/ such a lot of informations
D/ all those pieces with information
13. The project, which many people believed to be a major breakthrough, ended failure.
N with BI in C/ by D/ upon
14. He is just pulling your leg! He here on foot as the railway station is
located some 50 km from here.
AI couldn't come
C/ hadn't been able to come
81 wouldn't be able to come D! can't have come
15. As regards the problem of noise, my suggestion is that we should return to it at
our next meeting. By this time each of us all the reports concerning it,
which should make our discussion more rational.
AI ought to have read B/ has read C/ will have read D/ will read
1. Remember that products not to sell in New York will not find buyers
in Kutno or Donetsk.
AI enough attractive
C/ attractively sufficient
BI attractive enough
D/ attractive sufficiently
2. Since Bernie and Alf couldn't take part in the last training games, we _
some problems with team coordination. Well, we'll find that out tomorrow.
AI might have expected CI had better expected
B/ might now expect
01 have better expected
3. If you tell the examiners you're anergic poetry, they won't be amused.
AI for BI on C/ against D/ to
4. Like every football fan in Glasgow, I wish that Celtic the first goal in
Wednesday's match. By boosting the players' morale it should decide the final result.
AI scores BI would score Cf had scored 0/ scored
5. The secrecy of the police operation against the gang was complete. It seems only
in jail did its bosses discover their phone calls listened to for months.
AI were being B/ have been C/ were 0/ had been
6. Don't include squash or softball. It would make the organization of the
tournament more difficult.
AI such games as B/ the games such as C/ such games like 0/ such a game like
7. Feeling tired is no excuse for driving to church in a dirty car. Why didn't you take
it to the car wash? Or, if you didn't want to queue, you some money to
your son for washing it.
AI could give B/ were to give C/ might have given 0/ were able to give
8. If they don't my sight at once, I'll go mad or shoot them.
AI get away from BI get out of C/ go out from Df go off
9. Although no official invitation has come yet, I've told the girls some
long skirts and white blouses.
AI they've better packed Bf they'd better packed
C/ they'd better pack 01 they'd better have packed
10. I'm afraid Archie will get drunk at the party no matter what his wife to
AI would do B/ were doing C/ will do Df does
11. Isn't it a bit unwise of Jerry without a proper evaluation?
AI suggesting to sell the portrait B/ suggest the portrait being sold
C/ to suggest selling the portrait 0/ suggesting the portrait to be sold
12. The parents' representatives wanted to know why the schools of the
changes in the grading system.
AI haven't informed Bf hadn't informed CI weren't informing Of hadn't been informed
13. We the bill and it might have been worse - each of us had to pay about $ 60.
AI split Bf have split C/ splitted 0/ had splitted
14. Even if we devote , we will have to spend about ten hours to complete
AI each applicant just ten minutes B/ ten minutes or so for every applicant
CJ only ten minutes to every applicant 01 just ten minutes on each applicant
15. After 150 years of research in psychology, most known about human
nature can be found in a few books written centuries ago.
AI of what is 8/ that we do C/ of that is 0/ of that what is
1. M~iczyzna za kierownica zielonej furgonetki nie m6g1 bye naszym konsulem w Kijowie. W tym czasie konsulleeial do Aten.
2. Prawde powiedziawszy, nie ehee [= feel] mi sie rozmawiac teraz z tymi ludzmi.
3. Nie wolno ci myslec tylko 0 sobie. Nikt nie bedzie cie lubil. Z drugiej strony, nie musisz wyrzekac si~ wszystltich przyiemnosci,
4. Przyjedziemy posluchac twoich uczni6w pod warunkiem, ze nie kai:~ nam zostac do wieczora w firmie.
5. Ani Helen, ani ci sposrod jej przyjaci6J, ktorzy znaj~ Franka, nie powinni tam. teraz isc.
6. Czy teraz, po przeczytaniu tego artykulu, nadal myslisz, ie oni b~d~ mogli nam pomagac?
7. Czy znasz modelke Molly Kay? Ona jest tCl dziewczyna z powodu kt6rej Max Perth stracil posade na naszym uniwersyteeie.
8. Trzeba ehyba pomoc Ewie. Odkad pokl6eila si~ z siostra, gotuje dla nas wszystkich.
9. Przykro mi to powiedziec, ale czlowiek, kt6rego tak uwaznie wczoraj sluchaliscie, jest ktamca,
10. Sue musi stale nosic ciemne okulary. Przez to nigdy nie jestem pewien, czy patrzy na mnie, czy nie.
11. By to dla mnie niespodzianka, ze film zrobil wrai:enie [ = impress] zar6wno na dziennikarzach, jak i naukoweaeh.
12. ezy masz wyobraZenie [= idea], ile potrzebujemy czasu, i:eby dokonczyc parter?
13. Myslalem, ze sni~, kiedy zobaczylem, jak one l= tbem] zatrzymuja sw6j samoeh6d przed restauracja,
14. Czy mam jechac dzis, czy poczekac na ciebie? Pojedz dzis, Jutro Die bedziesz m6g1 porozmawiac z szefem.
15. Jesli zaprosiliscie pana Terry, kt6ry jest osoba najmniej zainteresowana nowymi meblami, powinniscie tei: zaprosic projektanta. Zdaje sift, ze mam jego adres.
1. Moze bedziesz Musial zmienic swoje plany. Bedzie to zalezalo od wynik6w konferencji.
2. Przypuszczam, ze zmylil [= mislead] j~ kolor ich samoehodu. Jest prawie taki jak nasz.
3. Jesli bedziesz rozmawial z wujkiem Joe, zapytaj, kiedy i gdzie moge go zobaczyc.
4. W tym roku przyjezdza zbyt niewielu czotowych zawodnik6w, aby zapewnic turniejowi atrakeyjnosc .
... tournament attractive.
5. Gubemator, na ktorego rozkaz j(J zatrzymano, bardzo interesuje si~ ta sprawa l= atrair].
6. NajwyZszy czas, zeby ktos jej powiedzial, czego nie powinna robic,
7. Juz czwarta. Chlopcy powinni teraz pracowac w ogrodzie. Nie mam pojecia, czemu tego nie robia,
8. 1m predzej ona opusci nasze miasto, tym lepiej dla nas,
9. Nie wiem, gdzie jest teraz moja siostrzenica. Od kilku dni nie moge si~ z ni, skontaktowac,
10. Wejdi, bo zamykam drzwi na klucz. Nie chce, zeby mi przeszkadzano [= disturb], kiedy pracuje,
11. Jesli ehodzi 0 mnie osobiscie, kandydat, kt6rego wybraliscie w sobote, jest najgorszy z wszystkich mozliwych.
12. On juz Die przychodzi na nasze spotkania. Boi si~, ze nie pozwola mu wyemigrowac,
13. Nie podoba mi sie to lekarstwo. Od jak dawna musi panje brae?
14. W6wczas Bob ciagle jeszcze byl osoba bez kt6rej nie moglo sie zdarzyc nie waznego w naszej firmie.
15. Najpierw upewnij sie, ze ona przychodzi w tym tygodniu, a potem daj mi mac.
1. Sluchalismy go z wielka przyjemnoscia. On wie wszystko 0 historii bankowoSci w Zjednoczonym Krolestwie
2. lie pieniedzy rnusiales mu pozyczyc? A czy wiesz, kiedy bedzie mogt ci oddac?
3. Widziales? On od razu wypil cala butelke. Musiales mu powiedziec, gdzie ona jest?
4. Pan Adams nie (ubi, zeby go tytutowac [= address] putkownikiem. Woli, ieby go nazywae doktorem.
5. Poniewaz nikt nie zadawal zadnych pytan, Thomson m6wiJ dalej.
6. Musiala miec mase czasu. Wyszla z domu za pi(fc dziesiata i wcale nie zdawala si~ spieszyc.
7. Czy pamietasz Nancy Ryder? Dziewczyne, dla kt6rej napisalismy t~ smieszna piosenke?
8. Zobacz, co napisalem. Czy to zmusi l= make] starego do rczygnacji z zaproszenia Alice?
9. Jej nowa ksiazka jest znacznie gorsza od poprzedniej. Ale nie nazwatbym jej najgorsza ksictZk'l roku.
10. N awet jesli jest za malo szklanek, mamy jeszcze troche pieniedzy i mozemy dokupic,
11. ezy on ci nie m6wil, od kiedy Ewa dla niego pracuje?
12. Nie zapomnij 0 jedoym: jesli cokolwiek zle p6jdzie, ani tw6j brat, ani twoi kuzyni nie beda mogli ci pom6c.
13. Nie wiem, co 0 tym mySlec. Mary m6wi, ze czekata dluzej niz p61 godziny, co nie moze bye prawda,
14. "Sp6jrz na tego czlowieka na ulicy. Zdaje sie na kogos czekae."
"Nie, on nie czeka. Jest naszym nowym straznikiem."
15. Musielismy pozwolie Adamowi i jego dziewczynie pojechac na ten koncert do Bristol. Gdyby nie, i talc: by pojechali.
1. On znacznie bardziej interesowal sit; pilq nozna niz uczeniem sie jezyka, Ale nie byl tak leniwy, jak jego siostra.
2. W porzadku, Jesli skoriczyles prace, mozesz isc na przyjecie, Ale nie upij sie znowu.
3. Nie wiem, kto ma racje: Alicja czy jej siostra. Faktem jest, ze nie rozmawiaja ze soba od dw6ch dni.
4. Bat sie, ze wezma go za kogos innego i aresztuja.
5. "ezy zaczekamy na Judy?"
"Nie czekajmy na nia, Jutro musielibysmy wstac 0 sz6stej rano, zeby ziapac poranny autobus."
6. ezy nie chcialbys wiedziec, ile ona rna lat i gdzie sie urodzila?
7. Dokad poszty dzieci? 0 tej porze powinny odrabiac lekcje. Bardzo zle [= too bad], ie tego nie robia, Porozmawiam z nimi, jak wroca,
8. Nie wiem, co go sldonito do napisania tak gtupiego listu.
9. To bardzo trudny problem. Nie wyobrazam sobie, jak moglaby go ona rozwiazac, Nawet gdyby byla inteligentniejsza.
10. W miasteczku, w poblizu kt6rego mielismy ten wypadek, byla poczta, ale juz byla zamknieta,
11. Cos tu jest nie w porzadku, Zarabiam coraz wiecej, a mog~ coraz mniej kupic,
12. Sp6jrz, chlopcy, miedzy kt6rymi ona siedzi, maja identyczne krawaty.
13. Moze bedziemy musieli zmniejszyc liezbe gosci. Nawet jesli ~dzie to wbrew opinii niekt6rych czlonk6w klubu.
14. 1Woim najwiekszym bledem byto to, ze urzadziles l= arrange] to spotkanie bez upewnienia si~ co do moich plan6w.
15. Zakwaterowanie nie byto zbyt dobre, zgadzam sie, No, gdybysmy nie musieli wynaj~c l= hire] tylu tlumaczy, moglibySmy wybrac cos lepszego.
The accomodation ...
1. Zycz mi powodzenia. Jak tylko dostane ~ dam ci znac,
2. Z poezatku sluchali cierpliwie mojej historii, ale potem znudzili sie i zaezeli grac w karty.
3. Niestety, jutro jestem zaj~ty. Gdyby§ powiedzial rni wczesniej, moglibySmy probowae zmienic date spotkania.
4. Moge sie mylic, ale kobieta, kt6ra zadzwonita pierwsza, rnogla bye z Meksyku lub Kuby.
5. Co sklonito ci~ do zmiany plan6w? Czy wiesz, ile to bedzie nas kosztowac?
6. Po drugim wypadku musiano go zastapic kims mlodszym. Trzeba byto zrobic to wczesniej,
7. Zawsze byIy problemy z til kuchenka, Obawiam sie, ze kiedy§ ona moze wybuchn~c l= blow up].
8. ezy ona ci powiedziaia, czemu Die chee zobaczyc si~ z moim bratem? On czekal na nia w akademiku l= ball of residence].
9. Kiedy Fiona zakochala siC( w najmniej inteligentnym ze wszystkich swoich koleg6w, jej matka nie potraktowala tego bardzo powaznie.
10. Nienawidze pracowac z ludzmi, kt6rzy nie set z siebie zadowoleni l= satisOed].
11. Nie musimy zapraszac tylu ludzi, jesli nie mamy na to ochoty l= feel], prawda?
12. Z trudem rozpoznawalem ich twarze z tej odleglosci [ = distance] i oczywiScie Die slyszalem, 0 czym m6wj~.
I could hardly ...
13. On rue wr6cH z zagraniey, aby uniknac [= avoid] schwytania.
14. Zaoszczedzisz troche; pieniedzy, tylko jesli Die bedziesz musial ptacic za sale,
15. "Sp6jrz tylko na ich twarze: musza rozmawiac 0 kobietach lub jedzeniu."
"Niekoniecznie. Obaj zbieraja stara porcelane."
1. Znam bardzo niewielu ludzi, kt6rzy mogliby sobie pozwolic na tak kosztowne meble. Nie rna wSr6d nieh zadnego z moieh brad.
2. Nie bede sie dziwil, jeSli mezezyzna, ktorego szukacie od dw6ch tygodni, wkrotce pojawi si~ na konfereneji prasowej w Miami.
3. 1m glosnie] m6wisz, tym one staj~ sie bardziej halasliwe.
4. Gdyby ona spodziewala si~ odeslania do domu, nie bylaby taka wystraszona [= scared].
5. Najwyzszy czas, zeby ktos porozmawial z nim powaznie. Zaden nauczyciel nie zrobi tego lepiej od bliskiego przyjaciela.
6. Jak mozna by ustalie [= nod out], ile bedzie referat6w pierwszego dnia rano?
7. Nie zaplace, dop6ki ona mi dokladnie nie powie, za co chce tyle pieniedzy,
8. Byto p6zno, ale jestem pewien, Ze Mary zd~a l= catch] jednak na pociag, Ona zawsze zdaza.
9. Nie musi pan rzucac palenia, ale nie wolno panu palic 40 papieros6w dziennie.
10. Dowiedzialem si~ 0 jego decyzji tydzien temu, a ciagle jeszcze 0 niej mysle,
11. Wiedzialem, ie wszystko bedzie dobrze, ale nie moglem opanowac [= help] zde-
12. Szkoda, ze nie kupiles tego zegarka. Mogies go dac ojeu na urodziny.
13. Moze bedziesz Musial przestac sicr z ni~ widywac przez jakis czas. Ale nie martw si~.
14. Prawde mowiac, nie lubie klasycznego tanca, ale nie m6gtbym jutro isc do opery, nawet gdybym lubil.
15. B~dZ cierpliwszy. Jesli si~ za bardzo rozzloscisz, nie b~dziesz m6g1 wyglosic przem6wienia.
1. Czy ktos m6glby mi powiedziec, 0 kim ona m6wita?
2. Czy juz si~ namySliles? Nie kaz nam czekac zbyt dlugo.
3. 'Iylko spojrzalem na niego i wiedzialem, ze znowu pit.
4. To niezupelnie tak. Naukowiec, 0 kt6rego teorii m6wisz, nie mieszka w Cambridge. Od 10 lat mieszka w Stanach Zjednoczonych.
5. B,df ostrozny, Nikt nie powinien wiedziee, czy pojawisz sie w sobote czy w niedziel~.
6. Jestem pewien, ze mecz bardzo by ci sie podobal. Ale Albert gral troche gorzej nii zwykle.
7. Mialem powiedziec, ze si~ nie zgadzam, kiedy wszedl general.
8. Dlaczego myslisz, ze on bedzie Musial zgodzic si~ na wyslanie na P6lnoc?
9. Oni nie musza wiedziec, dokad idziecie. Nie powinniScie W ogole odpowiadac na ich pytania.
10. Galeria, dla kt6rej przygotowuie t~ wystawe, bedzie musiala ubiegae si~ [= apply] o dotaeje z Rady Miasta .
... a subsidy from the City Council.
11. Wiem, ze to smutne. Ale przyznajrny [= admit], ze ani pan, ani ja nie mozemy wiele zrobic dla tych biedak6w.
12. Jesli na jutrzejszym tescie uda ci si~ [- manage] zrobie tak malo bl~d6w, jak dziS, z pewnoscia l= certainly] bedziesz mial jeden z czolowych wynik6w .
... top scores.
13. Nie pytaj go, dokad idzie. Zdaje si~ bardzo spieszyc.
14. Bylo duro telefon6w od rodzicow naszych ucmi6w po tym, jak radio podalo, ze bandyte l= criminal] widziano w poblizu South End.
15. Nawet jesli zachowywat si~ troche lepiej niZ zwykle, byI znacznie gorszy od pozostalych chlopak6w.
1. Czy jestes pewien, ze mezczyzna, z ktorym rozmawialismy na peronie, mieszka w Brighton?
2. N ie uwierzysz w to, ale jego list doprowadzit obie siostry do placzu.
3. Od jakiegos czasu Fred uczy sie hiszpafiskiego, bo spodziewa si~ wyslania do Meksylru.
4. Gdyby zaproszono rodzic6w kazdego dzieeka, na sali nie by toby teraz ani jednego wolnego miejsca.
5. Trudno powieoziec, ezy kolor bedzie sie jej podobal, czy nie. Miejmy nadzieje, ze tak.
6. Sklep, naprzeciwko kt6rego masz zaparkowac, jest zwykle zamkniety 0 tej porze.
7. Obawiam sie, ze jest juz za pozna. Tcr decyzje trzeba by to podjCle znaeznie wczesniej,
8. ezy m6g1bys mi powiedziec, po co zamawiales tc wszystkie katalogi? Wiedziales, ze nie nie bedziesz kupowal.
9. 1m dluzej z nia praeuje, tym bardziej mi sie podoba.
10. nCzy kiedykolwiek z nim rozmawiales?"
"Nie, od jego powrotu bezskutecznie pr6buj~ zrobic z nim wywiad [= interview]."
11. 0 He wiem, to wlasnie Fred pierwszy rzucit kamieniem W okno,
12.13. dziewczyna musiala sie tu urodzic, Cudzoziemka nie zrozumialaby twojego doweipu.
13. Nie zwaJaj teraz winy na zone; wiesz, ze nie musiales tego podpisywac l= sign].
Don't blame ...
14. Kandydat, kt6ry przemawial jako pierwszy, wydaje sie najmniej kompetentny ze wszystkieh. Ale by! tym, kt6ry by! oajbardziej pewny siebie.
15. Kiedy kurtyna [= curtain] idzie w gorer, widzimy pusta klase szkolna, Potem wchodza l= tben come] Rita i jej chlopiec, Ona zaczyna spiewae ballade po angielsku, podczas gdy chlopak gra na gitarze.
1. Niech pan przyjdzie w piatek mniej wiecej 0 tej porze alba w przyszlym tygodniu.
Jutro 0 tej porze bede si~ szykowaJ do pokazu .
... ready for the show.
2. MoZemy wyrazae [ = express] przeciwstawne [= opposing] pogitldy na to czy tamto, ale nie pr6bujmy si~ nawzajem oszukiwac l= cheat]. Predzej czy p6fniej, bedziemy musieli razem pracowac,
3. Popatrz, mow pada snieg! Od co najmniej szescdziesieciu lat nie byto tyle sniegu w kwietniu.
4. NajwyZszy czas, zebyscie przestali si~ lenic i zaezeli sie uczyc.
5. Dobrze, ie nie byto cie na przyjeciu. MusialbyS tlumaczyc przem6wienie szefa na wtoski.
6. Nie znam na tyle pana Foxa, zeby powiedziec, czy jego zdziwienie wybraniem go w pierwszej turze [= round] by to prawdziwe [ = genuine].
7. Niestety, coraz wiecej ludzi rodzi sie w najmniej uprzemystowionycb krajach Swiata.
8. Ostrzeglem Freda, ze portier go nie wpuSci, jesli nie przeprosi Tess za to, ze byl taki niegrzeczny.
I have ...
9. M6gl ich zmylic [= mislead] tytul filmu. Sam mySlalem, ze to film 0 historii sportu.
10. Balem sie, ze nie bede w stanie rozpoznac Marka. Ale nie musialem nawet probowae, bo on rozpoznal mnie.
11. Czy powiedziaoo warn, jak dlugo tu zostaniecie i z kim bedziecie pracowae?
12. Musi lubic [= eiQoy] z toba rozmawiat, bo od zeszlego poniedzialku byt jui picrc razy.
13. Nie musial pytac, gdzie jest niebieska koperta, bo dobrze wiedziat, gdzie jet Filip wloZyt poprzedniego dnia.
14. Nie mam pojecia, jak moglibySmy sldonic [= make] wszystkich tych chlopak6w, ieby przestali telefonowac do Marty przed egzamioami.
15. A teraz, po tym wszystkim, czy nadal myslisz, ze bedziemy musieli zapraszae go na nasze zebrania?
1. Ich nowe mieszkanie jest 0 wiele mniej wygodne od starego. Ale czynsz, kt6ry tam musieli placic, by! prawie talc wysoki, jak pensja Ann.
2. Moze nie bye do§C miejsc siedzacych, szczeg61nie jesli przyjd, wszyscy nasi londyDscy krewni.
3. Tak si~ romaScil, ze odm6wil p6j~cia z nami.
4. Mozliwe, ze bez tej starej mapy maszerowalibysmy teraz w przeciwnym kierunku.
5. W XIX wieku parowiec l= steamer] mogl przeplyn,c l= cross] Atlantyk w dwa tygodnie.
6. "Operacja miala sie skonczyc do niedzieli, prawda?"
"Tak, ale byty problemy i musiano j~ przedluiyc [= extend] 0 dwa dni."
7. Czasopismo, dla kt6rego pisze t~ nowelke, publikuje opowiadania fantastyczno-naukowe od prawie stu lat.
8. Ona musi Idamac. Nie mogla mnie widziec w Brixton, bo mnie tam nie byto.
9. Wedlug mnie problemem byto to, ze byto zbyt wielu doradc6w [= adviser], a zbyt malo pomocnik6w.
10. Nie zaczynajmy bez Marka. On jest osoba najbardziej zainteresowana ukonczeniem pracy na czas.
11. Nie myslalem, ze Sheila, 0 kt6rej zlym charakterze tyle styszaJem, bedzie si~ tak dobrze zachowywac.
12. Uspok6j sie. Spr6buj sobie wyobrazic l= imagine], co one teraz moga robie,
13. Nigdy sie nie zgodze, zeby mi placono mniej nii Maxowi. Pracuje dluzej od
14. a ile wiem, ona nie bedzie miala nie przeciwko temu [= mind], zeby zostac troche dluze].
15. Powiedzial Barbarze, ie wyjeidia [= leave] nazajutrz, co nie byto prawda, jako ze widzialem go wczoraj w banku.
1. "Zostaty tylko dwie koszulki. Kt6r~ weZmiesz?"
"Oczywiscie t~ z liter" «S))."
2. Jesli to nie byl sam Roger, musiaJ to bye kt6ryS z jego brad.
3. Nie chce sie jeszcze ienie. Ale chcialbym miec dziewczyne, kt6ra bylaby ladna i mila i z kt6r~ m6glbym wyj§C do kina albo na spacer.
4. By to az 12 agent6w! Zeby zatrzymac jednego cztowieka. Mogliby bye odwaz-
. . .
5. Nie [estes zadowolony? Chcialbys teraz stae w ogonku [ = queue] na tym deszau?
6. Nie wiem, czemu nie przyszli. Mogla ich zniechecic [= discourage] prognoza pogody, kt6ra jednak okazala si~ btedna,
7. Gdyby Nancy, kt6ra troche zna j~zyk, nie poszla ze mna, nawet nie zrozumialbym, czego ode mnie chca.
8. Czy ogloszono [= announce] juz, kiedy rna si~ odbyc drugie spotkanie?
9. Wyszedl z wiezienia w bardzo kiepskim stanie zdrowia. Reszte zycia spedzil na wsi.
10. Tlum byl tak g~ty [= dense], ze nie bylibysmy w stanie sie odnalezc, Nie musisz niczego zalowac,
11. Byt bardzo zirytowany I= Irritated] niezaproszeniem go na spotkanie.
12. Dotad rozmawialem z szesciu kolegami, ale zaden z nich nie wie, jak to zrobie,
13. JeW sicr nie poSpieszysz, nie bedziemy mieli papierosow. DziS jest poniedzialek i sldep zamyka si~ dwie godziny wczesniej,
14. To moze si~ wydac dziwne, ale odkad wystapilem w telewizji, niektorzy ludzie stali si~ dla mnie bardzo nieuprzejmi.
15. Mielismy nadzieje, ze bedzie m6g1 zostae na parer dni, Ale nawet nie m6g1 zostac na noc, bo nastepnego dnia musial leciec do Berlina.
1. On jest prawdziwym znawca pilki noznej, choc nigdy sam w nia nie gral, Ale nie jest szczegolnie zainteresowany innymi grami, takimi jak pilka reczna czy golf.
2. "Czy nie wydaje ci sie clziwne, ze Ken rozmawia z Jane?"
,,0 nie, rozmawia l ni~t, kiedy potrzebuje pieniedzy, co zdarza si4( co kilka miesieey."
3. Mozemy sobie pozwolic tylko na najtansz~ z czterech wycieczek. Ma sie rozumiee, jest ona r6wniez najmniej atrakcyjna.
4. Powinienes jak najszybciej sprzedae sw6j samoch6d. Masz go 0 wiele za dlugo.
5. To jeden z kilku film6w, kt6re sprawiaja, ze czuje siC( zn6w mtody.
6. Sluchajac go, nie rozumialem, jak moze bye tak naiwny. Powszechnie wiadomo,
ze oni nigdy nie mowia prawdy.
7. Pozw61 sobie powiedziec jeszcze jedno: oni nas nigdy Die zrozumieja,
8. Czy uwierzysz, ie odkad nasz telewizor si~ zepsul, 0 wiele lepiej sypiam?
9. Mog~ sobie wyobrazie, ze Zycie kapitana duzego tankowca musi bye do§C monotonne.
10. W nastepnym pokoju zobaczylismy okolo dziesieciu mJodych ludzi, kt6rzy zdawali si~ ciezko pracowae przy biurkach. Teraz wcale nie jestem pewien, czy oni rzeczywiScie pracowali.
11. Og61nie wszystko byto mniej wieeej w porzadku, Nie podobala mi si~ tylko jedna drobnostka - Daniel powinien mice na sobie ciemne ubranie.
12. Lepiej uwaiaj. Jesli tym razem sie zgubisz, nikt tego nie zauwaiy I= notice].
13. ByI jednym z tych wielkicb przyw6dc6w, 0 kt6rych Zyciu prywatnym bardzo malo wiemy.
14. W obecnym stanie rzeczy nie mozemy przegrac tej sprawy [= case]. Nawet gdyby one mialy wynajClc [ = hire] najlepszego prawnika w kraju.
As things are ....
15. Doniczki z gliny, kt6re widzieliSmy u Chiltona, byIy troche wieksze od tych, ktore mom a kupic na targu. Byty mniej wiecej takie jak nasze.
The terracota pots ...
1. MusieliSmy wracac, bo robilo sie coraz zimniej.
2. Ani ty, ani Ewa nie wiecie, jak napisac takie ogloszenie, Niech Fred zrobi to za was.
3. Nigdy nie wiem, jak ona zareaguje, choc mieszkamy razem od tylu lat.
4. Uwaia sie [= beUeve] teraz, ie porwanie l= Iddnapping] moglo bye zaplanowane nawet rok wczeSniej.
5. Czy policja b~dzie mogla ustalie [= find out], jak szybko oni jecbali?
6. Nie mam a2 tylu pieniedzy, a nie jestem szczeg6lnie zainteresowany tym obrazem. Nawet gdyby byl tailszy.
7. Publicznose zna go jako aktora teatraInego. Ale od czasu do czasu czyta wiersze w radiu i raz na rok pokazuje sie w telewizji.
8. Uwazam, ie powinno mu sie powiedziec, do czego potrzebujemy jego auta.
9. Gdyby by to wiecej ezasu, zmusilbym go do zrobienia tego ponownie. Ale jest jui zbyt p6mo.
10. Jest pan zupelnie bezpieczny. Aby znaleff jakieg dowody l= evidence], oni musieliby przesluchae [ = interrogate] wszystkich w miescie, Nawet nie musi pan odpowiadae na ich pytania.
11. Wedlug mnie studentka, z kt6r~ przed chwila rozmawialismy, musiala si~ urodzic w polskiej rodzinie.
12. Znam go wystarezajaco dlugo, zeby bye pewnym, ze jest uczciwym czlowiekiem.
13. .Kto ci powiedziai, ze rozmawiasz z niewlaSciwym czlowiekiem?" "Nikt, sam to odkrylem. "
14. Jesli przyjda wszyscy, kt6rzy otrzymali zaproszenia od naszych uczni6w, bedzie za malo miejsc siedzacych,
15. MusieliSmy wyjgc, zanim zaczeta sie prawdziwa debata i dlatego nie wiem, kto wygral. MySl~, ze poglady doktora Reno mogly przekonae [ = convince] Adama i jego koleg6w.
1. Nie czekajrny na Adama. Jesli dotad nie telefonowal, to znaczy, Ze musial zostac z matka,
2. Slyszysz ten halas? To pafistwo Adler. MUSZ4 dyskutowae 0 polityce. Probuja sie nawzajem przekonac,
3. "Nie budzilas Marka, prawda?" ,,Nie, to jego brat go obudzil,"
4. Dlaczego jeszcze z nimi nie rozmawiales? M6wiles, ie chcesz sie z nimi zaprzyjaznic,
5. Znajac go, bylem pewien, ze ani moje slowa, ani fzy jego matki nie naklonia go do zmiany zdania.
6. Musieli go sledzic l= follow] od jakiegos czasu. Bez tego [= otherwise] nie byliby w stanie znalezt tego domu na przedmiesciu,
7. Teraz nie zartuje. Jesli tym razem sie upijesz, nie przychodz wiecej,
8. W drugiej polowie XVIII wieku kanaty byly tak wazne, jak autostrady dzisiaj.
9. 'Iylko bardzo niewielu student6w na naszym uniwersytecie rozumie po francusku, a prawie [ = hardly] laden nie m6wi po hiszparisku,
10. Najwyiszy czas, zebysmy przestali mamowac [= waste] czas i abySmy zrobili cos powaznego. Zacznijmy wydawac pismo.
11. Jedyna kobieta, dla kt6rej Max m6glby wyniesc sie z Bath, jest jego matka.
12. Stracilismy dwie trzecie papieru, ale bytoby znacznie gorzej, gdyby znalezli nasz zapas tuszu .
... supply of ink.
13. Teraz widzimy, ze nie jest tak nieszkodliwy [= harmless], jak sie uwazalo. Ale jest z pewnoscia najmniej niebezpieczny z nich wszystkich.
14. Obawiam sie, ze nie bedzie latwo ocenic, ilu jest w tej chwili cudzoziemcow w Mediolanie. A dlaczego pytasz?
15. Powiedzialem, ze nie moge sie zgodzic, zeby mnie tam wyslano samego.
1. Czy kiedykoJwiek probowales zrozumiec moje problemy? Od naszego slubu nie interesujesz sie niczym oprocz zarabiania pieniedzy,
2. Wydaje mi sie, ze uniwersytet, ktory ona ukonczyla [= graduate], nie moze miec bardzo wysokiego poziomu akademickiego.
3. "Na jaki kolor pomalujemy kuchnie?
,,Dla mnie obojetnie, jaki kolor bedzie dobry. No, nie malujmy jej na czerwono."
4. Oczywiscie wierzymy ci, ale chcielibysmy, zebys nam powiedzial, na co wydales tyle pieniedzy,
5. Nie, nie robi mi roznicy [= mind], zeby zaczekac troche dluzej. Jesli wszystko bedzie gotowe do soboty, nie bede skladal zazalenia .
6. To jest poczatek konca. Teraz to nie moze potrwac dluzej nil 20 lat. Ale oczywiscie nie musi trwac tak dlugo.
7. Jesli Bob i jego dziewczyna nie przychodza, takze tam nie idzmy.
8. 'Irzeba by to wzi'lC taksowke. Zaplacilbys ponad 200 dolar6w, ale nie uszkodzilb~ [= damage] samochodu.
9. Odkad nasz syn zakochal sie w Joy, dwa razy w miesiacu chodzi do fryzjera.
10. W sobote grates bardzo dobrze. Ale nie moglbys pokonac Adamsa; nawet gdyby on pokazaf troche slabsza forme.
11. Po czterech godzinach czekania powiedziano nam, ze burmistrz [= mayor] zgodzil siC( rozpatrzyc [= consider] nasze podania i ze przyjmie I= see] nas nazajutrz 09:40.
12. Dziesiec minut przed zamknieciem, do sklepu wszedl wysoki mezczyzna w szarym gamiturze. Podszedl do lady [ = counter] i powiedzial, ze chce rozmawiac z wlascicielem.
13. "Czemu si~ golisz w kuchni?"
"Zawsze to robie, kiedy chce posluchac wiadornosci. Th jest lepszy odbi6r l= reception].
14. 0 ile wiem, to wlasnie Joe nauczyl cle grac w pokera. Niech on teraz placi twoje dlugi.
15. Ta cz~sc kraju, nad kt611l bedziemy przelatywac, szybko sie rozwija ad dziesieciu tat.
1. Chcialbym, abys mi powiedzial, co moZemy zrobie, ieby pom6c tym biedakom.
2. Nawet najmniej kosztowny z dom6w, kt6re widzielismy, to wiecej niZ moiemy zapla cit.
3. Jesli bedzie za duzo skarg l= complaints], bedziemy musieli cos z tym zrobic,
4. To nonnalne, ze rodzice, ktorych dzieci wyemigrowaly, chcieliby je czescie] widziec,
5. Czemu pozwalasz naszej sekretarce nosie mini i palic? To sprzeczne z przepisami.
6. Ksiazka, 0 kt6rej mowie, musi bye kr6tsza. Nastolatki nie czytaj'l dlugich powiesci,
7. Czemu chcesz, aby twojemu najlepszemu koledze dano taka niebezpieczna prace?
8. 0 ile wiem, panstwo Losey nie kupili tego domu dla siebie. Chca go wynaj~e firmie naftowej.
9. ezy zdajesz sobie sprawe z tego, ile oni b~d~ potrzebowac clezarowek, aby przywieze caly ten sprzet?
10. Przed lotem do Osaki porozmawiaj z panem Hardy. On prowadzi tam interesy [= do business] od co najmniej dziesieciu lat.
11. Z przyczyn oczywistych minister, dla kt6rego przygotowano ten tajny raport, Die mogl omawiac go w programie telewizyjnym.
For obviuos reasons ...
12. Naukowcy nigdy nie wierzyli, aby moglo bye zycie na ksiezycu.
13. Prawie kazdy mezczyzna w naszej wiosce ma 0 Dim cos zlego do powiedzenia.
A ilekroc go widze, jest pijany.
14. Bez szybszych lodzi nie bedziemy w stanie przeszkodzic operacjom przemytnikow [= smugglers]; nawet gdyby naszym ludziom mialo pomagac wojsko .
... by the Army.
15. Uwazam.ze powinienes kupie tyle obraz6w, ile bcdzicsz w stanie zabrac ze soba.
One s~ tutaj tak tanie.
1. Zanim zdazylem go zapytac, gdzie jest moja kartka swiateczna, podal [= hand]
2. Gdybym nie zmusil mojej corki do wyslania podania [= application], nie zostataby modelka,
3. System jest bardzo skuteczny. Od ponad 20 lat nie bylo ani jednego przypadku wScieklizny [= rabies].
4. Wlamanie, 0 ktorym pan m6wi, byto wyj'ltkiem. wtamywacze normalnie nie dzialaje} [= operate] w poludnie.
The burglary ...
5. Nie wierze w przypadkowe l= cbance] spotkania. Oni dawno juz musieli uzgodnic, zeby razem pojechac do Brighton.
6. Podajmy gosciom dzis wieczorem wino wegierskie. W ten sposob bedziemy mogli zachowac I= keep] dla siebie wino francuskie.
7. Inaczej niz [=unUke] niedZwiedzie polarne czy koale, czame niedzwiedzie chinskie SCl zwierzetami, 0 kt6rych slyszeli stosunkowo [ = relatively] nieliczni.
8. Nie m6w mi, ze nie wiesz, ile lat mieli twoi rodzice, kiedy sie pobierali.
9. The Globe nie jest jedynyrn miejscem, gdzie mozna kupic takie larnpy. Dlaczego nie sprobujesz innej firmy?
10. Kiedy zdalem sobie sprawe, ze mnie nie sluchaja, dalem za wygrana i skonczylern przem6wienie.
11. Pomimo zlej pogody, ani chtopcy, ani ich rodzice nie probowali ze mna rozmawiac na temat zmiany daty wycieczki.
12. Nie calkiem rozumiem, czemu tak wielu urlopowicz6w l= holiday makers] wybiera teraz Malte, No, niekt6rych zachecil moze reportaz w Timesie .
... the story in The Times.
13. Wujek Joe mowi, ie nie rnoze go spotkac nie gorszego niz wstawanie przed 6-t~.
Zawsze mi opowiada, ze najgorszy okres w jego zyciu byl wtedy, gdy Musial odbierac poczte ekspresowa na dworcu 0 5-ej.
14. Marze 0 lekarzu, ktory nic nie powie 0 cukrze, ziemniakach i tlustych zupach. Nic mowiac juz [= not to mention] 0 alkoholu i tytoniu.
15. M6glbym uwicrzyc w to, co m6wisz, gdybym nie pracowat na podobnym sprzecie ad prawie 10 lat.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?