This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Physical Health has a lot of bearing on Mental Stress, The other side of the Coin !
ILL-HEALTH AFFECTS THE INDIVIDUAL¶S
PERFORMANCE ORGANIZATION- absence, loss of man-hours, substitution,
work disruption, medical reimbursement etc.
FAMILY and its HAPPINESS. FINANCIAL SAVINGS get drained. CHILDRENS¶ Careers are affected -
particularly in Brain & Cardiac surgeries, Renal & Liver transplants, Cancer patients..
USA is losing three times the budget of NASA annually
only for lower back and neck problem cases. 3
An Individual whether a Man or a Woman suffers from 4 to 6 of the following list of the Diseases by the age of 30 years and above
* Cervical Spondylosis * Lumbar Spondylosis * Chronic Digestive problems * Respiratory Allergies Ch.Sinusitis & Asthma * High Cholesterol * High Blood pressure * Heart Attacks * Diabetes.M. * Over-weight * Osteo-arthritis * Insomnia 4
His Health ? His Stress Net Result ± He is leading a highly compromised Life. One never realizes the importance of Health until one gets bedridden.
A reasonable Health & A right Mental attitude are mandatory to reduce
MEDICAL STATISTICS OF GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
-In 1950, the average Life span of an Indian was 37 years. -In 2002, it has improved to 63.5 years. This improvement has been achieved due to the control of Communicable Diseases through Immunization and various Control programmes with the help of WHO. Though the Indian is living up to 63.5 years, He is down with Multiple Chronic problems right from the age of 30 plus.
The Life Span in the most developed Countries like U.S.A, Japan, U.K, Sweden & Germany has gone up to 80 Years. If people start living so long in a population without reasonable Health, then they will be a big Burden on the economy of even the most developed Country like U.S.A. Total Annual Medical Budget of U.S.A used to be 8-10 Billions $ per annum in 60s. Today, America is spending 3 Billions per day i.e 1000 Billion $ per year.
25% of its total Annual Medical Budget i.e 250 Billion $ are spent on last one year care of the elderly. In U.S.A 35% of the population is not yet covered by insurance even today ! 8
WHY IS THIS SITUATION
1. Not enough emphasis is given to the management of Chronic illnesses either by WHO or the Governments of Developed and Developing Countries. This is because the results are not perceived immediately. 2. Governments are ignorant that educating people on mere Dietary Discipline, Regular Exercise to suit the age and Health status of the individuals and Life Style changes will go a long way in improving the quality of Life. It can SAVE Billions of Dollars even for the most developed Countries who are struggling with the increase in the Life span of their people. 3. It is not the Life expectancy/Span that counts, It is the Quality of Health of the population that is important. 9
According to ³Campbell¶s Law´ in Engineering
Statistics is a good tool, provided used wisely but remember Statistics is like a Bikini, what it reveals may be quite amusing. But what it conceals is more Vital.
FAMILY PHYSICIAN CONCEPT DISAPPEARED
Today, 4 or 6 problems of the individual are not tackled by a single Doctor. The patient himself decides to go to the Specialist. * How can a patient decide whether he should undergo a battery of Tests or a particular Surgical procedure and who should co-ordinate the 4 or 6 prescriptions of the Specialists ? Usually, a Specialist never takes in to account what the other specialists have prescribed. * This is because a Specialist looks only into his field of Specialization. 60% lab.investigations & surgical interventions are unnecessarily done all over the world, is an open fact. Reasons: Defensive Medicine, to meet the costs of overheads, Capital & interest repayment expenditure of Corporate Hospitals It is the role of Family Physician or Company Doctor To help the individual in such situations. And if needed, He should be in position to discuss with the Specialist on behalf of the patient.
IMPACT OF ILL-HEALTH *
Ill-Health affects an individual and his Performance, it affects the Family, its Happiness and its Finances.
The impact of Salary earner's Ill-Health could be so severe as to drain away all the financial savings of the family, affect the future career of his Children and Domestic relationship.
IMPACT OF ILL-HEALTH......contd.
* A Child's sickness could result in severe emotional drain on the whole family, influencing its entire life style.
A Chronic Invalid, bedridden member of the Family at home may make so many demands on the time, energy and finances of the family that may have difficulties in coping up with the situation. 13
³To live is not sufficient. we need also the Joy of Living; and the Joy of Life requires Health. Above all, we need the Health which embraces the Body, the Mind and the Soul."
A Highly Complicated
HEART* In Adults, has 60 miles length of blood vessels. * In a 70 year life span of a man Heart Pumps 250,000 gallons (1 million Liters) of Blood. * May have beat 3.5 billion times.
CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE AND BY-PASS GRAFT
Aorta Left Mammary Left Coronary Artery
Circumflex artery Right coronary Artery Anterior descending CABG Venous graft
1st Septal Posterior Descending
Venous grafts get closed within few months to 6 years period. Arterial grafts (left Mammary & Radial artery) can last for many years. 16
Gross difference in the Caliber of Blood vessels used in CABG
150 mm of Hg
10 mm of Hg
Cross section of Artery of Heart
Cross section of Vein from the Leg used as Venous graft 17
Balloon Angioplasty and putting a STENT
(PTCA-Percutaneous transluminal coronary angiography)
Tunica External (External layer) Atheromatous Plaque (Fatty bump)
Balloon deflated & withdrawn within 120 Seconds
Tunica Media (Middle Muscular layer)
Tunica Intima (Endothelial Layer)
Fat gets back to where it was in 30% of the cases, on the same day in rest of the 70% cases, within 6 months.
CABG & Angioplasty cont«..
Problems with the Stent
1. Once placed, It can not be retrieved. Diagrammatic
Inner lining of the Blood vessel
2. It is an obstruction to smooth flow of Blood. Hence the person has to take anticoagulants daily for some time, with weekly blood tests. 3. Since it is a foreign body, The inner lining of the blood vessel reacts and the cells multiply and engulf the stent and eventually cause total closure of the blood vessel within 6 months. It will be mandatory for the patient to go through CABG. 4. Nowadays, medicine impregnated stents are being experimented for not allowing these cells to multiply. Regarding these STENTS recently introduced, data is awaited! 5. Angioplasty is useful only in very limited number of cases to borrow time in a young person below 35 who has a single or maximum two critical blocks.
CABG & Angioplasty cont«..
It is the deposition of Fat beneath the inner layer of the blood vessel that has to be arrested and whatever is deposited that has to be reversed. Angioplasty and CABG are palliative which are only temporary solutions to overcome an inch or two of obstructions. They should be taken up judiciously where blocks can be fatal if not attended to. It is the question of Health of 60 miles length of blood vessels.
How can there be a mechanical solution for a metabolic disorder !
LIFESTYLE SHIFT CAN UNCLOG ARTERIES
Strict changes in Diet and Lifestyle, not only prevent Heart attacks but can actually reverse the clogging of arteries, according to a small but pioneering study reported late 80s. The Study showed that a Vegetarian Diet, Moderate Exercise and an hour a day of Yoga and Meditation could produce reversal of Atherosclerosis.
Study conducted by:
DR. DEAN ORNISH Director of Preventive Medicine & Research Institute, Sausalite, California, U S A.
THREE INTER-CONNECTED TANK PHENOMENON
(to understand how diet , reduction of excess weight & exercise can reduce the fatty blocks in the blood vessels)
Fatty blocks in the blood vessels
Saturated Fat in the Blood
Saturated Fat in Diet and Body¶s Fat Stores
Fat in the Blood
1. Dietary Fat 2. Body¶s own fat 3. Exercise & Medication
The fatty blocks automatically reduce in thickness, If 1, 2 & 3 are taken care.
* KIDNEY - Each kidney has 1 Million filters.
Es o p h a g u s
HUMAN BODYA Highly Complicated Structure
* LIVER - Even One-tenth
L i ve r
St om ac h
Je j u n u m
Il e u m
p p e n d ix
* EAR -can differentiate 1600 Frequencies.
D IGE S TIVE S YS TE M
* WBC - 126 Billion cells ( each with a Life span of
only 9 - 12 days ) constantly circulating throughout the body, protecting us from infections. 23
of Liver can meet body's every day requirements.
Ga l l b l a d d e r Du o d e n u m
Tr a n s ve r s e c o l o n
S m a ll in t e s t in e
s c e n d in g c o lo n
De s c e n d in g c o lo n
Re c t u m
³Medical teachers know that Half of what they teach is Untrue - the trouble is that they don't know which Half !"
Attributed to: Dr. C.S. Burwell (formerly DEAN, Harvard Medical School)
From the first page of a book: "CARDIOLOGY" 4th Edition
by DESMOND G. JULIAN
Health is not a commodity that can be purchased either in a Specialist's clinic, or in a Pharmacist's shop, or even in a reputed Hospital.
You can acquire it only by your own efforts. Remember, It is not just sufficient to acquire Health, it has to be maintained by constant efforts.
Medicine and Commercial Interests often make a very Unhealthy combination
The approach of Medical scientists, sometimes, seems primarily interested in extending Medicine's Technical Prowess, with scant regard for Ends and Values !
MEDICAL CONSUMERISM ± like all sorts of consumerism, only more menacingly-is designed to be unsatisfying.
The prolongation of LIFE and search for Perfect Health (Beauty, Youth & Happiness) are inherently self-defeating. The law of ³Diminishing returns´ necessarily applies.
Last Century has seen the greatest triumphs of Medical science, but paradoxically, now more than any time in the past three Centuries, the Medical Profession doubts itself. Medical field has led people to vastly inflated expectations, which the public has eagerly swallowed. Yet, as these expectations grow unlimited, they become difficult / impossible to fulfill. The task facing Medicine in Twenty-first Century will be to redefine its limits even as it extends its capacities.
For all Medicine¶s success stories, who would deny a certain Malaise ?
The Atmosphere is one of Hollow conquest.
CONSULTATION ( should be in writing )
List of Present Complaints, chronologically, Relevant past history, Family History, Personal History - Diet, Routine, Bowel habit, Sleep, Type of work, Habits and Addictions etc., 5. CLINICAL EXAMINATION and PROVISIONAL DIAGNOSIS, 6. LAB INVESTIGATIONS taking into account the PREVIOUS TESTS, so that Final Diagnosis is arrived at, with minimum tests to reduce the costs and the ordeal to which the patient is subjected to.
1. 2. 3. 4. 7. FINAL DIAGNOSIS. 8. PRESCRIPTION & OPINION :i) Clear Instructions about Medication & Diet
expected side effects, How long? and why et ii) If Surgery needed-Why? How Soon? Who is the Best Surgeon? Costs etc. iii) Referrals to appropriate Specialist, if needed
* The Efficiency of a Physician lies in his Clinical skills, ability of differential Diagnosis, arriving at the Final Diagnosis with minimum laboratory investigations. *An efficient Doctor writes minimum number of Medicines, which are less expensive and have the least side effects. * He deals with the patient with concern and compassion. * He does not hesitate to accept his ignorance at times and does not mind to refer to a good specialist or check for the patient from a senior colleague. Medicine is a very vast field and Biological intricacies are too complex. A Doctor can be ignorant of some aspects in his own Specialty at times! There can be nobody like a ³Perfect Doctor´ 31
Until two Decades ago, a Doctor enjoyed this status:
³Oh Doctor! you are God.´
But today, the commercialization in the various systems of medicine and unethical approach pushed the unique status to:
³Oh Doctor, I salute you; You are the brother of God of Death.
The God of Death takes away the Life of the person; Whereas the Doctor takes away the Life, as well as Money.´
If a Doctor practices sincerely with a little Concern and Compassion for the Patient, there is no dearth of Money and there will not be so many law suits against Medical Professionals.
The amount of job satisfaction the Sincere & Compassionate Doctor gets, no other profession can give that.
Doctor - Patient rapport
*If a Patient does not trust the Doctor and the Doctor does not trust the Patient, How can the results be achieved even from the best treatment particularly in day to day Ailments & Chronic Diseases *This is exactly what is happening in the West and same thing has crept into India these days. *Defensive Medicine is the ultimate result which is neither in the interest of the patient nor to the economy of any country.
How ignorant today's Educated Patient is and how difficult it is, sometimes, to handle him, Do you know ?
Please try to answer the following Questions.
What is the
Blood pressure ?
NORMAL BLOOD PRESSURE
100 / 60 to 140 / 90 mm of Hg.
for people below 50 years of age.
100 / 60 to 160 / 90 mm of Hg.
for people after the age of 50 yrs. etc., as presumed by people, are not correct.The Blood Pressure is never constant throughout the day.
* 120 / 80 and Age + 100
* There is no Chronic Disease by name Low Blood Pressure as believed by people .
It is not constant at 72 / mt as presumed by people.
Normal Pulse rate is - 60 to 90 beats/mt. Do you know that some people have
MISSED BEATS , which is quite a normal Phenomenon ? 4 to 6 missed beats/mt is quite normal and do not cause any problems.
It is never constant at 98.4 as presumed. 38
Normal temperatureO- 98.4 F + 1
CONFUSION OVER BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL IN NORMAL PEOPLE & DIABETICS
When there is a suspicion whether a person has Diabetes or not, Glucose tolerance is the best test. The person has to give Fasting (12-14 hours from the previous night¶s dinner) blood sample in the morning and then he is given 75 grams of plain glucose. Samples are drawn every half an hour for blood glucose estimation (4 samples apart from fasting sample).
110-126 Less than 200 above 140 But below 200
Blood sugar Fasting Sugar level from 0- 2 hours Sugar levels after 2 hours
less than 110
more than 126 200 at least once
more than 200
less than 200
less than 140
Should you walk as an exercise after Dinner ? The answer is ----
No Bath immediately after
Food intake. You have to wait atleast for 2 hours.
Are you supposed to use a Pillow under the Head ?
If you do not know how to use a Pillow correctly, which is a daily affair, you are heading for serious symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis, which can create confusion with Cardiac Chest pain.
Sleeping on the back with a thick pillow to watch TV or to read is very bad for the neck. Sleeping on the back with a thin pillow or without a pillow, is correct. But it is impractical .
The only, practical and the Correct way of Sleeping and using a Pillow isPillow should be sufficiently & effectively THICK to keep the neck horizontal.
NOTE: Mattress should be only 1 inch thick (cotton) and on hard bed, for sleeping.
Through out during sleep, one changes position from right to left and left to right at least half a dozen times. 42
THE CORRECT ASPECTS OF CHOLESTEROL LEVELS
NORMAL LIPID PROFILE
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL HDL
- 160- 200 mg/dl 45 - 80 mg/dl
(higher the better)
LDL VLDL TRIGLYCERIDES
- 130 mg /dl or less - 27 mg / dl or less - 145 mg / dl or less = 4.5 : 1 or less 260 / 80 = 3.2 : 1 43
(This ratio is most important)
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL HDL
For example:- 150 / 15 = 10 : 1 Unsafe
FATTY BLOCKS IN THE BLOOD VESSELS ± Relationship to various components of lipid profile
VLDL LDL Fat Deposition 1/5 of total HDL Fat withdrawal
Tot.Cholesterol HDL This ratio is vital
*VLDL & 1/5 of Triglycerides are converted to LDL which tends to get deposited in the blood vessel causing blocks. *HDL removes fat from these blocks into the blood. * If deposits are more and withdrawals are less, blocks develop. *If withdrawals are more and deposits are less, blood vessels are healthy. 44
FRAMINGHAM HEART STUDY
The good cholesterol hypothesis comes from studies like the Framingham Heart Study that followed thousands of people for years to see who developed heart disease. The study showed that if two people had the same levels of the bad cholesterol (LDL), but different levels of the good cholesterol (HDL), the one with more HDL was less likely to have heart disease. Researchers examined the biochemistry of the two molecules learned that they have opposite roles.
TO IMPROVE HDL LEVELS IN THE BLOOD
(High Density Lipoprotein, ³good component´,³vacuum cleaner´
in the blood vessels )
There are no Medicines to improve HDL levels in the blood.But, there are four methods to improve it.
Your Diet should contain more amount of vegetable fibre. (skin- of green & leafy vegetables, some fruits).
2. Physical Exercise (³25 mts Yoga for You´). 3. Moderate quantity of Alcohol promotes HDL levels. 4. Prerogative of female gender. Female hormones before menopause protect Women from Heart attacks 10 times compared to men. During 46 menstrual cycles, the female hormones keep the HDL levels high in
LOW CHOLESTEROL IS ALSO NOT GOOD FOR HEALTH
Low Cholesterol (less than 160 mg /dl) levels are associated with an increased risk of mortality from other causes like: 1. Cancer 2. Liver damage. 3. Respiratory diseases 4. Injuries 5. Accidents
A statistical study report published in JAMA
(Journal of American Medical Association)
TO REDUCE TRIGLYCERIDES
Since 1/5 of Triglycerides are converted to LDL (bad constituent ), and LDL is one of the contributors of Total Cholesterol levels, If one can maintain Total Cholesterol / HDL ratio to less than 4.5 , one need not worry about Triglycerides if the levels are below 500 mgs/dl.
However, to reduce Tryglycerides in the blood,
- One has to cut down on CARBOHYDRATE intake in Diet i.e Rice,Tubers, Sugar, Sweets, Desserts & Alcohol
Cucumber Carrot Tomato Beetroot Radish Tender Cabbage Capsicum Onions Soaked groundnut (12 hrs) Sprouts (24 hrs) Coconut
Banana, Apple, Oranges Sweet lime, Guava, Pineapple, Sapota, Papaya, Watermelon, Muskmelon, Jackfruit, Custard apple etc.,
Dry fruits - Almonds
- Cashew Date Pistachio Raisin 49
PHYSICAL HEALTH lowered Drop in the values threshold to face a given Commitment Problem MENTAL HEALTH 1. Ignorance of Moral and Ethical 2. Lack of Professional and Domestic 3. Lack of Contentment 4. Lack of Positive attitude 5. Ego
1. MORAL and ETHICAL VALUES as far as our Conduct at Home, at Work place and in Social circles is concerned. 2. PROFESSIONAL and DOMESTIC COMMITMENT are highly essential and a Balance has to be maintained. 3. CONTENTMENT about Personal Possessions, whatever is judiciously earned. 4. POSITIVE ATTITUDE to any Problem. 5. Shedding EGO.
EGO is defined as Undue Assertion of Oneself due to 1 2 3 POSITION MONETARY STATUS RELATIONSHIP
You are recognized only by yourCHARACTER, CONDUCT, EFFICIENCY and CONCERN for Others.
MANAGEMENT of PHYSICAL HEALTH
FOUR important STEPS:-
1. Mandatory ANNUAL HEALTH CHECK-UP consisting of a clinical
Examination by a Competent Physician & simple urine and blood tests for Every One after the age of 30 years. This is essential because Bio-chemical changes in the body precede much earlier than the actual Physical symptoms of the Disease.
2. Basic knowledge of common types of AILMENTS so that
preventive and curative steps can be taken.
3. How to assess your own HEALTH ? 4. Knowledge of FACTORS that PRESERVE and
PHYSICAL HEALTH MANAGEMENT - STEP I
ANNUAL HEALTH CHECK-UP TESTS
( FOR PEOPLE above 30 YEARS OF AGE )
A) For Everyone
1. Complete Urine examination 2. Complete Blood picture, ESR 3. Fasting & post Glucose blood Sugar
(75 gms or 1gm / kg body weight, sample to be drawn 1 hour after)
4. 5. 6. 7.
Blood Urea Serum Creatinine Serum Cholesterol & lipid profile Serum Uric acid
* go to the laboratory with no tea or coffee even without sugar in the morning (can take water); BUT, *Remember, to finish the previous night's dinner before 8 p.m i.e., 12 to 14 hours of fasting required before the blood sample given next day morning.
B) ADDITIONAL TESTS for some people
7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. ECG - (If there is a family incidence of Diabetes.M.,
Hypertension and Heart attacks) STRESS ECG - (TMT Once in 2 years after 40 years)
PLAIN X-RAY CHEST PA & LAT.Views(If the individual is or was a smoker until last year) LIVER FUNCTION TESTS -(If the individual takes Alcohol more than 2-3 times a week) PROSTATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN- PSA (for men after 40 years) PAP'S STAINING OF CERVICAL SMEAR(for women to detect Uterus cancer early) MAMMOGRAPHY- (once in a year for women if a lumpy or nodular feel in the Breast)
PHYSICAL HEALTH MANAGEMENT - STEP II
A) BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF COMMON DAY-TO-DAY AILMENTS
Cold, Sore-throat, Head-ache, Nausea, 1 - 2 Vomitings, 2 - 4 Loose motions, Indigestion, Abdominal discomfort, Lack of Sleep, feeling of Vague Sickness, Body-aches, Fever, etc.
Today, the Educated Patient is committing the biggest Blunder in handling the above simple problems and paying a very heavy price in the long run. Do you know how ?
In a case of Fever, when an Educated Patient goes to a Consultant Physician in India , 95% of them give the following type of prescription on the very first day of the fever.
1. CHLOROQUIN tab 2 bid for two and half days (for Malaria) 2. CIPROFLOXACIN 500 mg tab bid x 5 days (for Typhoid) 3. CO-TRIMOXOZOLE - DS tab 1 bid x 4 days (for Urinary tract Infection) 4. STEMATIL tab 1tid 5. CALPOL tab 1qid 6. INCIDAL tab 1tid 7. COBADEX cap1od 8. SANTAVENI tonic 2 tsp tid 9. DIET - EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT & RICH FOOD !!
Patients literally compel the Doctors to write these Prescriptions.
* Prescription should cost more than the Consultation fee; * Longer the Prescription, better is the Doctor; * One of the Medicines is unheard of & * Not easily available, - are the patients¶ views about a ³Competent Doctor´
Fever subsides next day.What was the fever ?
Was it MALARIA ? Was it TYPHOID ? or W as it URINARY TRACT INFECTION ? Nobody can make out because it was a Pharmacological gang rape of the fever! Patient discontinues Ciprofloxacin after two days, because he thinks it is too expensive, powerful and harmful. Fever recurs on the fourth day and continues for weeks creating confusion about the diagnosis as the lab. tests subsequently are inconclusive, and Specialists start labeling it as PUO / FUO (in USA). 58
Latest Abbreviation for an undiagnosed Fever lasting for more than 10 days is ±
P P P
PERSISTANT for the PATIENT PERPLEXING for the DOCTOR PYREXIA means FEVER !!! 59
In USA a DOCTOR does NOT write MEDICINES until DIAGNOSIS is CONFIRMED Doctor- Patient trust is totally non existent in USA.
The Patient is subjected to a number of tests- expensive and cumbersome. After the tests results come, no conclusion is drawn. The Patient is referred to other specialists who in turn put him through further tests pertaining to their respective specialty. ³Joint responsibility is no responsibility!´ A 30 year old CEO of a company in Detroit, seen at least 15 Specialists in 3 months period without attending Office for reeling sensation due to Cervical Spondylosis and heaviness in the fore-head due to Sinusitis, spending 20000 $. Yet no commitment on the Diagnosis, leave aside starting any treatment. Patient started worrying that if his problem could not be diagnosed in USA then it must be a very serious, mysterious incurable problem and developed Anxiety Neurosis for which he is yet to see a Psychiatrist. This is what is known as defensive Medicine. The Doctor all the time tries to save his Neck, let what may happen to the Patient! WHO IS AT LOSS This is the other extreme of what is happening in India.
In all the day-to-day ailments, the Initial treatment should be«.
* * * Skip the next solid Meal for a few hours to 48 hours; Remain on suitable Liquid Diet; Take at least 8 to 10 glasses of plain Water in 24 hours;
* Take rest if Temperature is high and can take Paracetemol (crocin) every 6th hourly even on empty Stomach. # Seek the Family/Company Doctor's advice if symptoms do not show decline in 48 hours. # In 80 - 90% cases, No tests, No medication and No Doctor will be required. 61
There is an important principle in Ayurveda, the oldest traditional system in INDIA-
In an Acute Illness when one does not follow Dietary restriction the Medicine doesn't work!
When one follows Dietary restriction, there is no need of any Medicine! 62
Do all Allopathic Medicines require food intake prior to administration ?
³ NO ´
Only the following group of the Medicines and some specified medication have to be taken orally after food. A. Analgesics and anti-inflammatory
Analgin, Asprin, Saridon Anacin, Brufen, Nimesulide drugs Ibugesic, Voveran, Mobizox Indomethacin, etc., Chloroquin phosphate (Lariago), Pyralfin/Malocide/Metakelfin etc., Decadran, Betnelan, Betnesol, Wyselone, Deltacortil Prednesalone
B. Anti-malarial drugs
Infact, Most of the antibiotics like - Ampicillin, Norfloxacillin, Ciprofloxacillin etc., have to be taken empty stomach.(excepting Erythromycin)
Do you know that one type of oral Diabetic medicine (Sulfanylurea
group) & Insulin have to be taken half an hour before food intake? The
other oral medicine(Biguanides) have to be taken immediately after food ? These days some pharmaceuticals are manufacturing both the above medicines in the same tablet.When should this tablet be taken?!!
Medicines for Heart and Blood pressure can be administered empty stomach, maintaining time schedule is very important.
³Your body has remarkable recuperative power when it is left alone.´
³We unfortunately, interfere too early, too often and too much with it due to pessimistic approach and over cautiousness.´
DR.HERBERT.M. SHELTON 65
In 400 B.C., Hippocrates, the father of Modern Medicine, recognized the healing forces inherent in living organisms. He called these forces ³NATURE¶S HEALING POWER´. The role of a Physician was to assist these natural forces by creating most favorable conditions for healing process. This is the actual meaning of Therapy which comes from the Greek word ³Therapeuin´ means to attend. Today instead of assisting the body, we are substituting and interfering with the body¶s functions.
Human body & its 1. 126 Billion white cells (WBC) in a 70 kg. man Defense
2. Anti-bodies 3. Compliments: C1 - C17
Antibody Harmful Chemical Neutralized Bacterium
WBC Bacterium Cell wall destroyed
Do you know that if our defense system fails, it takes only 4 sec. for the Bacteria to reach Brain from a fresh superficial wound in the hand and cause fatal Meningitis or Encephalitis.
HOW TO MAINTAIN A CORRECT TEMPERATURE CHART, DO YOU KNOW ?
In a case of Fever, temperature chart is very important to suspect or diagnose the type of fever. Many a people do not have the slightest idea about it and those who maintain "some" Temp. chart has no relevance.
DATE 6 a.m. 12 Noon 6 p.m. 10 p.m. 1/9 99 100 101 102 2/9 100 100.6 102.4 103 3/9 100.4 103 Paracetemol tablet or syrup depending 101 age of the patient, can on the O 104 given only at the above timings if the temp. is above 98.4 F, not in be 4/9 101 between. 101.6 103.4 68 104.2
A good Temperature Chart in a case of Fever:
Physical Health Management - Step II
B) CHRONIC DISEASES I. Birth defects
Can be prevented by avoiding... -Medication of any type -X-rays to the Abdomen & back -Scans during the 1st three months of pregnancy The development of organs in the Fetus takes place during the first three months of pregnancy and anything that interferes during this period can cause Birth defects.
A Defective child is a life long Liability and Stress.
Like any manufacturing defect cannot be totally corrected, God's manufacturing defects are much more difficult to handle.
Only an Obstetrician is competent to prescribe.
II. HEREDITARY DISEASES
50% of our Health is Inheritance.The other 50% we mess up due to Ignorance & Negligence.
DIABETES MELLITUS (High Blood Sugar) HYPERTENSION (High Blood Pressure) CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE
(Angina and Heart attacks)
A Person with Family History of above problems, has to take certain precautions after the age of 20 as shown in the next slide; Otherwise he will develop the problems much earlier than his Parents had. 70
An Individual with a Family history of Diabetes.M., High blood Pressure and Heart-Attacks, has to take the following:
FIVE PRECAUTIONS: 1. Cannot afford to be Over-weight. 2. Cannot take Oily foods, (particularly saturated fats) & Sweets liberally. The list of foods in daily life
containing saturated fats which promote Bad Cholesterol in the blood is given in the next slide.
3. Cannot go without regular Exercise. 4. Cannot indulge in Smoking. 5. Cannot afford to take Alcohol liberally. 71
FOODS CONTAINING SATURATED FATS IN OUR DAILY DIET
NON-VEGETARIAN FOODS, EGGS & DAIRY PRODUCTS like:
Whole milk Curd Cream Cheese Butter Ghee Milk Sweets & Desserts Milk chocolates Milk beverages
VANASPATHI (Hydrogenated oils) COCONUT OIL PALMOLIEN OIL
A few of the items given above can be minimized or avoided to reduce Total Cholesterol levels particularly LDL & VLDL in the blood.
Ideal weights for Men
Height Ft In 5 2 5 3 5 4 5 5 5 6 5 7 5 8 5 9 5 10 5 11 6 0 6 1 6 2 6 3 6 4 Cms 157 160 163 165 168 170 173 175 178 180 183 185 188 191 193 Small frame lbs kgs Medium frame lbs 118-129 121-133 124-136 127-139 130-143 134-147 138-152 142-156 146-160 150-165 154-170 158-175 162-180 167-185 172-190 kgs 53-58 55-60 56-62 58-63 59-65 61-67 63-69 64-71 66-73 68-75 70-77 71-79 73-82 76-83 78-86 Large frame lbs 126-141 129-144 132-148 135-152 138-156 142-161 147-166 151-170 155-174 159-179 164-184 168-189 173-194 178-199 182-204 kgs 57-64 58-65 59-67 61-68 63-70 64-73 67-75 68-77 70-78 72-81 74-83 76-85 78-88 80-90 82-92
112-120 50-54 115-123 52-56 118-126 53-57 121-129 55-59 124-133 56-60 128-137 58-62 132-141 60-64 138-145 62-66 140-150 64-68 144-154 66-70 148-158 67-72 152-162 69-74 156-167 71-76 160-171 73-78 164-175 74-79
Ideal Weight for Women
Height Ft In 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 6 10 11 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 0 Cms 147 150 152 155 158 160 163 165 168 170 173 173 178 180 183 Small frame lbs 92 -98 94-101 96-104 99-107 102-110 105-113 108-116 111-119 114-123 116-127 122-131 126-135 130-140 134-144 138-148 kgs 42-45 43-46 44-47 45-50 46-50 48-51 49-53 50-54 52-56 54-58 55-59 57-61 59-63 61-65 63-67 Medium frame lbs 96-107 98-110 101-113 106-116 107-119 110-122 113-126 116-130 120-135 124-139 128-143 132-147 136-151 142-155 144-159 kgs 44-49 45-50 46-51 47-53 49-55 50-55 51-57 53-59 54-61 56-63 58-65 60-67 62-69 64-70 65-72 Large frame lbs 104-119 106-122 109-125 112-128 115-131 118-134 121-138 125-142 129-146 133-150 137-154 141-158 145-163 149-168 153-173 kgs 47-54 48-55 49-57 51-58 52-59 54-61 55-63 57-64 60-66 60-68 62-70 64-72 66-74 68-76 69-79
Should you stop Vegetable Oils in Diet when Cholesterol levels in the Blood are high ? - NO.
One who has high Cholesterol levels, should cut down animal source of Fat (saturated fats) in the Diet and never cut down on the intake of vegetable oils (unsaturated Fats), Otherwise it will result in Total Cholesterol in blood to go up due to break down of body fats and pooling into blood. In Diabetics- Control of blood sugar levels, In Hypothyroidism, maintenance of T3 ,T4 & TSH levels are more important than Diet and Medication to bring down Cholesterol levels. * One should continue to use normal quantities of Vegetable oil in diet, but reduce Animal source of Fats and hydrogenated Veg. Oils to reduce Bad Cholesterol.
Hence,One can have fried stuff as long as it is in Vegetable oil.
based on: Ref- page 269, 13th edition ³Rypins¶ Medical Licensure Examinations´
In Bronchial Asthma & Allergic problems
Certain Foods have bearing on precipitating or aggravating an Allergic problem, Do you know ?
Modern Medicine Doctors are totally ignorant about it as they haven't been trained on this aspect.This is precisely the reason, that the desired relief does not come in spite of a battery of Medication. Fish and Sea-foods are well known for triggering Allergic reaction in some people. 76
IN ALLERGIC PROBLEMS...
The food stuffs (list shown in slide 75) have to be avoided for 1 to 6 weeks, prior or during an attack of common Allergic problems like :
A. RESPIRATORY ALLERGIES Rhinitis
B. ALLERGIC SKIN PROBLEMS C. AUTO- IMMUNE DISEASES
Sinusitis Allergic Pharyngitis Allergic Bronchitis Eosinophilia Bronchial Asthma
Note: In B & C, the food stuffs (specified in the slide 79) will have to be withheld 100% for few Months to a Year. 77
What is an Auto-Immune Disease
In an auto-immune disease, the antibodies produced in the body against Bacteria in the past, start attacking ones own tissues causing chronic inflammation and serious impairment of the organs affected and sometimes permanent residual damage.
Rheumatoid Arthritis(multiple Joints), Psoriatic Arthritis (multiple joints), Psoriasis(Skin), Pemphigus(Skin), Scleroderma (Skin), Lichen Planus (Skin), Leucoderma (Skin), Ulcerative Colitis (Colon) , Multiple Sclerosis (Nerves), SLE(Connective tissue of Skin, joints, kidneys & other organs), Sarcoidosis (disease of unknown
reason affecting Lungs),
Ankylosing-Spondylitis (Inflammation of whole spine, a crippling
Idiopathic Thrombocytopaenic Purpura (Platelet depletion in Blood), CollagenDisease(Connective tissue of multiple organs), Amyloidosis (infiltration of tissues with insoluble Protien fibrils), Eale¶s Disease(Eye-Retinal allergic vasculitis), Myasthenia Gravis(weakness of muscles of face and swallowing &later other
FOODSTUFFS TO BE AVOIDED
in Allergic conditions and Auto-immune Diseases
In auto Immune diseases since restrictions are for a long period, one can have Calcium & Vitamin D substitution prescribed by the Physician
1. ANIMAL SOURCE OF PROTEIN: Milk, Curd, Butter Milk, Butter, Cheese,Milk Chocolates,Milk Beverages, Milk Sweets/Desserts, Eggs, Non-vegetarian foods. 2. FOODS CONTAINING: Colours, Preservatives,Synthetic food additives Soft drinks, Sauce, Jam, Jellies, Ketchup, Colours in Sweets,Pastries,Cake ready to eat packed foods, Bread, Biscuits, Chocolates, Toffees, etc.,, 3. CERTAIN FRUITS Grapes, Citrus fruits like Lemon, Oranges, Sweet lime, Guava, Custard apple, Pineapple, Goose berry, raw Tamarind, raw Mango & other sour fruits and uncooked vegetables. Other fruits like Banana, Apple, Papaya, Sapota , Melons, Jackfruit, Pears etc., can be taken before 7 p.m.
One may wonder What is left for eating?
THE FOLLOWING FOODSTUFFS ONE CAN HAVE:
Rice,Chapathies, Parathas, all varieties of Vegetables including Tubers, Pulses, Cereals, normal Salt, Chillies and other spices, fried foods, Idli, Dosa, Vada, uthappa, Puri, Chole batura, noncitrus fruits like Banana, Papaya,Apple, Sapota, Pomogranate, Jack fruit, ripe Mango,Water melon, Masc. Melon etc.,
Not at all difficult to follow for a few weeks to a few months.
Not Life long ! Otherwise, It is not worth Living !
THERE IS NO CHOICE EITHER ! 80
How this list of food stuffs to be avoided, has been arrived at !
Based on practices regionally by various communities in India and they have been passed on from generations during the past few centuries. My own parents¶ 40 years of experience who were renowned Naturopaths. Various restrictions prescribed by Indian systems (Alternative systems) of Medicine in certain disease. Our own clinical experience of 25 years.
Response to these restrictions for a limited period, has been overwhelmingly encouraging. It is for the Modern Medicine to take up research to standardize the regimen and also to look into objectively, what ingredients in Animal Protein, Synthetic colors, food additives, preservatives and citrus fruits cause aggravation or precipitation of Allergic & Auto-Immune Diseases.
III. ACQUIRED DISEASES
Viral fevers Tuberculosis Hansen's disease etc.,
Diabetes Mellitus Obesity,Gout etc.,
Why people are getting prone for Infectious Diseases and developing Metabolic Disorders even at a young 82 age?
IV. DEGENERATIVE DISEASES
(ageing problems) - CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS (Neck problem) -LUMBAR SPONDYLOSIS (Lower back problem)
Why is this premature ageing ?
- OSTEO-ARTHRITIS (of weight bearing joints like knees) - OSTEOPOROSIS (Depletion of Calcium from bones) -PRE-MATURE CATARACT (Lens of the eye getting opaque)
V. DISEASES OF UNKNOWN REASON
even today in spite of all our advancements in diagnostic techniques
-MALIGNANCIES (Cancers) -AUTO IMMUNE DISEASES:
Rheumatoid Arthritis (multiple Joints), Psoriatic Arthritis (multiple joints), Psoriasis (Skin), Pemphigus (Skin), Scleroderma (Skin), Lichen Planus
Leucoderma (Skin), Ulcerative Colitis (Colon) , Multiple Sclerosis (Nerves) SLE (Connective tissue of Skin, joints, kidneys & other organs), Sarcoidosis
(disease of unknown reason affecting Lungs), Ankylosing-Spondylitis (Inflammation of whole spine, a crippling disease), Idiopathic Thrombocytopaenic Purpura (Platelet depletion in Blood), Collagen Disease (Connective tissue of multiple organs), Amyloidosis (infiltration of tissues with insoluble Protien fibrils), Eale¶s
Disease These problems also have increased in incidence, Does any one realize why this trend ? (Eye-Retinal allergic vasculitis), Myasthenia Gravis (weakness of muscles of
face and swallowing & later other muscles)
PHYSICAL HEALTH MANAGEMENT - STEP III
HOW TO ASSESS ONE'S OWN HEALTH ?
Ask yourself six questions:
1. Have I been getting proper Sleep these days ? 2. Do I have a satisfactory and spontaneous
movement everyday ? 3. Do I have a good Appetite ? 4. Do I enjoy my day's Work ? 5. Is my Chest measurement more than the Abdominal girth? 6. Am I cool and composed while dealing with If answers to any one or more questions given above is not in people? affirmation, then your Health is not alright. You don't have to rush to a Doctor or go through tests.What you have to do is, to«
Bring in a little change in your Lifestyle.
PHYSICAL HEALTH MANAGEMENT STEP IV
FACTORS that PRESERVE and your HEALTH RESTORE
FACTORS THAT PRESERVE AND RESTORE HEALTH.......
A REGULATED DAILY ROUTINE
Medically it has been proven that our internal functions are conditioned to particular timings of the day.
Every Living being has a definite daily routine except educated Human being!
A regulated routine, at least 6 days in a Week, has a lot of bearing on our Health.
What is the best Daily routine one can have
What is the remedy for people who have shift duties at the workplace
( < 15 years )
5.00 a.m. up from the Bed 5.30 a.m. Yogic exercises
6.00 a.m. 7.00 a.m. 8.00 a.m. 1.00 p.m.
up from the Bed Breakfast 8.00 a.m. LUNCH in School Seasonal fruits + Milk 1.00 p.m. BREAKFAST LUNCH
8.00 p.m. DINNER 10.00 p.m. Retire to Bed
DINNER Retire to Bed
Note: People working in shifts should know that no shift should be changed in less than 15 days.
FACTORS THAT PRESERVE AND RESTORE HEALTH.......
CRITERIA OF A GOOD DIET
* * * * *
Should be pleasant to look at. Should smell good. Should taste good. Should be nutritious. Even if above four conditions are met, the most important aspect is, it should be of one's liking.
Good Dietary habits...
TIMINGS: should be fairly fixed.
If you are delayed by more than an hour, skip the Meal, manage with fruits or liquids. you may compensate what you have missed in the next meal !
³An untimely meal is a Poison" 93
2. HOW MANY TIMES ONE SHOULD HAVE COOKED FOOD IN A DAY ?
* * *
Below 20 years of age and - 3 times pregnant women 20 years to 60 years - 2 times Above 60 years - 1 time only
That is -If you do not want any restrictions in the type of food,Otherwise the moment restriction is imposed it will increase Stress.
ONCE A DAY TWICE A DAY - IS A SAGE. - IS A WORDLY MAN.
THRICE A DAY - IS A SICK MAN.
Pancreatic duct Liver Duodenal Ulcer
Pancreas Common Bile duct Duodenum
One may eat a number of times in a day to prevent Duodenal Ulcer as advised by Medical people, but one lands up in: (i) Eating more than required in the day, and if one restricts the quantity, one is not satisfied and will feel at the end of the day, that one has not eaten at all. (ii) It leads to indigestion as secretions can not be poured so often.
after the age of 20 ONLY twice A WEEK EGG is also considered as Non-Veg. from nutrition point of view. Saturated fats in yellow of the egg and other Non-veg items promote Cholesterol levels in the Blood.
** Chicken & Fish contain least amounts of saturated fats in Non-veg foods. 96
4. FAST ON LIQUID DIET, one full day in a week
(preferably MONDAYS) Liquids that can be taken throughout the day until the next day morning are -
Not more than 3 cups
Coffee,Tea, Boost, Maltova, Horlicks etc.. Lime juice Butter milk Milk Fruit juice Coconut water clear soup etc.
Total 6 - 8 times in a day +
6 glasses of water
(in 24 hours)
Fasting to be avoided by those....
* * * * * Who are severe Diabetics on heavy dose of oral medication or on Insulin. People who have Tuberculosis and are under treatment. Who are suffering from Hyperthyroidism. Who are severely Anaemic < 9 gms Hb. Who have Hypoglycemic Spells.
5. WATER INTAKE (i) Never drink Water while taking solid food.
(can have before or after 10 minutes)
The reasons are:
a) Water occupies a certain volume in the Stomach and one cannot eat proper quantities in the Meal. b) The Hydrochloric acid which protects us from various Bacterial, Fungal and Parasitic infestations,
(ii) Throughout the day, one must consume a minimum of 2 litres of Water, intermittently.
THIS PREVENTS ONE FROM..
* Mouth ulcers, Hyper-acidity, Heart burn, Gastritis, Duodenal ulcer, Indigestion , Flatulence , Dyspepsia , Constipation, Piles, Fissures, Fistula. * Urinary stones * Gall stones 100
Most of the common Digestive problems are due to 4 reasons
1. Irregular timings of Food. 2. Number of times eating and in between munching. 3. Drinking water with Food. 4. Not drinking enough Water through out the day.
6. HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS IN OUR DAILY FOOD
(i) VANASPATHI (Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil)
-Is a good raw material for Cholesterol in blood. Hence to be
avoided at home. Any vegetable oil (refined or un-refined) is good as a cooking medium except Coconut Oil & Palmolein Oil.
- Most of the fried foods in Hotels, Restaurants, functions and
guest houses are prepared in hydrogenated vegetable oil. An Executive traveling on company¶s account has to be aware of this fact be choosy in ordering food out side.
-Un-refined Oil is much better than refined oil; but in cities it
is impractical to procure un-adulterated.
- "Any oil which solidifies at room temperature,contains
saturated fats and promotes LDL Cholesterol." 102
(ii) COLOURS, SYNTHETIC FOOD ADDITIVES
AND CHEMICAL PRESERVATIVES
- are potential Carcinogens (Cancer producing) Even permitted colours containing Tartrazine and other chemicals are not good for Health. Colours that are not permitted are even more dangerous for Health.
Hence, one has to minimize the consumption of: - Soft drinks , Jam, Jellies , Pastries , Sauce ,Ketchup, tinned and packed foods, Noodles etc.
I .Nutritive Sweeteners:
1. Sorbital & Fructose (known to cause acute diarrhea) 2. Aspertame: Aspertic acid, Phenylalanine (180 times sweeter than sugar) *Can not be used in baking and cooking
II .Non-Nutritive Sweeteners:
1. Saccharin: Potential Carcinogen of Urinary bladder as long term complication(FDA warning)
2. & 3.Sucralose & acesulfame potassium: Highly stable and approved by FDA
Ref. Current Medical Diagnosis year 2000 edition
BVO ( Brominated vegetable oil )
A chemical used as clouding and density adjusting agent in soft drinks.
Toxic Effects: Carcinogenicity
In USA permissible 15 ppm. In India it is banned including Ester gum.
Monoglycerite of esters and fatty acids.
YOUR FRIDGE IS NOT A GARBAGE BIN !
One should know What to preserve and what not to put in Fridge.
* Cooked food put in the general section of the Fridge, gets spoilt O O in 8 to 12 hours even with the Fridge door closed. * The temperature range in the general section is 4 to 10 C.
* The Microbiology fact is that the Bacteria can multiply at 4 & above 4 C. Re-heating of preserved food in the Fridge even to 100 C can only destroy the Bacteria but not the Chemical poison (Endotoxin) secreted by the Bacteria. * The Endotoxins are heat stable even at 100 degrees.
7. FRIDGE IS MEANT FOR KEEPING......
1. MILK, CURD, BUTTER MILK, BUTTER, CHEESE. 2. UNCOOKED VEGETABLES 3. FRUITS 4. EGGS 5. DRINKING WATER 6. MEAT in the deep freezer 7. MEDICINES 8. ALCOHOL
NOTE : Cooked Food stuff that is kept in the Deep Freezer is preserved provided there is no power cut. Cooked food may be kept in the Fridge from morning only till the same day evening.
8. PRESSURE COOKER
Steam 15 Minutes
115 ± 120 C
less than 100 C
Volume remaining constant P
T (Absolute Temperature)
Everyday, Food is being sterilized at almost 120 degrees C temperature in a Pressure Cooker. O It is a universal fact that food cooked above 100 C, loses nutritive value. Rice and vegetables should never be cooked under pressure.
Microwave Oven, How Safe is it ?!
Indian recipes are too complicated for cooking in a Microwave Oven. To put the expensive gadget to optimum use, there will be a tendency to have as much stale food as possible. Anything that can heat in a few seconds to the boiling point of Water, is shortcut method.There are no shortcuts in the maintenance of Health. Whether Microwave has any Health hazard, Data is still awaited !! 109
Have the following got any role in curing diseases ?
* * *
³Methi´ (Fenugreek) Bitter gourd juice Jamoon (Black berry) Garlic: Diabetes.M
in reducing Cholesterol & CAD.
³Hydrotherapy´: Drinking 1½ Liters of water at a time
Oil pulling:Gargling 3 table spoons of vegetable oil for 15
The answer is, an emphatic Auto "NO"therapy. urine
early in the morning without even
FACTORS THAT PRESERVE AND RESTORE HEALTH.......
BENEFITS OF REGULAR EXERCISE
1. 2. Improves Cardiac and Respiratory reserves. Promotes new vessel formation and improves collateral circulation in the Heart. It also improves HDL (Good Cholesterol) levels in blood. Burns Calories and lowers Blood sugar levels. Movement to joints and keeps Spine flexible. Improves Digestion and helps in getting rid of constipation. Keeps you active through out the day. Solves the problem of Insomnia. 112
3. 4. 5. 6. 7.
³Luxury is defined as the amount of Lethargy one can afford "
DR. B. BAPUJI
-like Walking, Jogging, Swimming, playing
Games, attending Health clubs, Gyms, Judo, Karate, Aerobics, Yoga institutions etc., are not possible on regular basis for today's Executives, Professionals and Businessmen.
-TIME CONSTRAINT -TOURS -REQUIRES PREPARATION -A COMPANION NEEDED
Moreover, these exercises cannot be done for 5 to 6 days in a week and they lack total effect on the body.
³Any exercise, not done for 5 to 6 days in a week, has No positive effect in Maintenance of Health´
DO YOU KNOW THAT
The Physical exertion on account of Domestic and Professional reasons cannot be considered as sufficient exercise excepting in hard labor in the fields or at the construction sites.
How much we over eat and how less we exert, you will be shocked when you see the following tables :
EACH OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES BURN ONLY 200 Calories EACH OF THE FOLLOWING FOODS GIVE AS MANY AS 200 Calories
12 mts of Jogging 1/2 hr of Swimming 1 hr of Walking 3 hrs of Singing 4 hrs of Dish washing 14 hrs of TV watching
2 slices of plain Bread 2 medium size Apples 53 Peanuts 24 ozs of Beer 2 1/4 bottles of Soft drink 3 cups of Tea with Sugar
based on the extracts from : HARRISON'S "PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE"
CRITERIA FOR AN IDEAL EXERCISE REGIMENof short duration. * Should be
* Should be feasible wherever you are
at Home, in a Hotel room or at a Guest house.
not require any preparation.
* Should be easy to adopt. * Should give : Enough exertion, movements to all the Joints, keep the Spine flexible and should have beneficial effect on all the Vital organs including Heart and Lungs.
- And one should be able to achieve Target Heart rate i.e 220 - age
at the peak of Daily Exercise. Longer the duration to achieve target Heart 117 rate, better is the Cardiac reserve.
"25 MINUTES YOGA FOR YOU"
by DR. B. BAPUJI
DR. RANI BAPUJI
I PART II PART III PART IV PART V PART
12 2 6 6 1
Posture Cyclic Exercise Abdominal Exercises Yogasanas
5 mts 4 mts 8 mts 6 mts
Breathing exercises Shavasana
2 mt = 25 mts
³25 minutes Yoga´ should be done in 25 minutes only .
An important advice, before taking up ³25 Minutes Yoga´
People after crossing the age of 30, most of them have definitely some Health problems and are too stiff due to sedentary life style. It is advised that they attempt first, the Spinal exercises for 10 minutes in the morning (any time before breakfast) and then again 10 minutes (before dinner) in the evening as far as possible, twice a day for few weeks.
A reasonable spinal flexibility is achieved, after 4 ± 6 weeks of regular effort, and then they can attempt ³25 minutes Yoga for you´ regimen given in this session which is a total exercise. 119
Lie down flat on the back with arms stretched close to the body, palms facing down. Feet one foot apart. Lift up hips & waist as much as possible. Bring the hips & waist down. Repeat 6 times. 120
Spinal Exercises cont«. 2.
Lie down flat on the back, arms perpendicular to the body, palms facing down & feet together.
Lift up the right leg up to 45 degrees and take it to the opposite side to touch the great toe to the ground(creating an angle of 90 degrees). Knees to be kept straight. Simultaneously turn your head to the right to look towards right hand.Get back to the original position .
Now bring the left leg to the right simultaneously turning the head to the opposite side in the same way as you have done above.
6 times alternating with the other.
Spinal Exercises cont«. 3.
Lie down on the stomach, chin on the floor, palms by the side and close to the chest & feet together.Keep the Elbows close to the body.
Lift up the Head & Chest to look towards the ceiling above the head, with elbows close to the body & feet together. Hold on to the position for ½ a minute and then relax, Only once.
Spinal Exercises cont«. 4.
Lie down on the stomach, chin on the floor, feet together.Put your Palms under the thighs with elbows straight and under the tummy.
Lift right leg as high as possible with both the knees straight and bring it down. 3 times with each leg alternating with the other.
Lift up both the legs together with knees straight and hold the position for ½ a minute.Only once.
Spinal Exercises cont«..
Lie down on the stomach, fold the legs, hold them with the respective hands at the lower end of the leg with thumb along with the other fingers. Spread the knees and feet 1 foot apart. Lift up the head and chest to look towards the ceiling simultaneously pushing both the legs backwards, Hold on the posture for ½ a minute. Only once
Note: Neck exercises can be done sitting in a chair with the back straight(not leaning on to the back rest).
Bend your head Less forward & more backward, 6 times each alternating with the other.
Tilt your head to the side keeping the face in front, 6 times each side alternating with the other.
Turn your head to the side to look behind & come back to the original position.Then turn to the other side, 6 times alternating with the other.
´25 minutes Yoga for You´
1 2 12 11
Part I 12 Posture Cyclic Exercise
( 4 minutes + 1 minute rest )
Age-wise rate of doing in four Minutes
15 times 35 years & below, 10 times 36 to 50 years, 6 times 50 years and above
8 6 7
Part II «
³25 minutes Yoga for You´
Part II 2 Abdominal Exercises
Target20 times at a stretch each of the two exercises
³25 minutes Yoga for You´
Part III 6 Yogasanas
(8 minutes including ½ minute rest in between)
½ mt + ½ mt rest
2 mts + ½ mt rest
½ mt + ½ mt rest
½ mt + ½ mt rest
½ mt + ½ mt rest
½ mt + ½ mt + ½ mt rest
³25 minutes Yoga for You´
Part IV Breathing Exercises 6 minutes
Three deep breathing Exercises ± 4 minutes.
1 2 3
Breathe in, slowly as long as you can, 7-8 seconds breathe out slowly (6 times each exercise) Posture for exercises 1,2,5 & 6 Posture for exercises 3 & 4 Three brisk breathing Exercises - 2 minutes.
6 5 4
Part V Shavasana
Breathe in, & Breathe out briskly, forcefully & noisily in a rhythmic manner (1/2 minute each exercise)
FACTORS THAT PRESERVE AND RESTORE HEALTH.......
AVOIDING EXCESSIVE INDISCRIMINATE MEDICATION
A. Harmful effects of Indiscriminate Medication
1. Individual resistance lowers. 2. Drugs themselves can induce Diseases like: Gastritis, Duodenal Ulcer, Diabetes.M., Hypertension, Strokes due to thrombosis, Migraine, Skin Allergies, premature Cataract, Auto-immune Diseases, impotency, loss of libido even Cancer. 3. Kidney and Liver failure.
B. DRUG SITUATION IN INDIA - Pathetic
Manner in which 6 - 8 Medicines prescribed by Consultants even for minor problems. Spurious and sub-standard Medication in bulk supply to Nursing Homes and even Government Hospitals. Banned Drugs are still prescribed and sold. -
Mammoth number of formulations licensed for manufacture«
* The W.H.O. has drawn up an Essential drug list.according to them, only 250 formulations are required for Rational therapy. * Bangladesh is managing with only 70 formulations. * According to the ³Hathi committee" report, 117 drugs are enough for Primary Health Care in India. Unfortunately, there are about 1, 27, 0 0 0 formulations in Indian market and 80% of these drugs are INESSENTIAL IRRATIONAL HARMFUL and drugs of DOUBTFUL efficacy Rs. 20,000 crores per annum is the financial turnover in pharmaceutical Industry in India, And UNLESS, Prime Minister takes initiative, this situation can not be corrected.
This situation will never be corrected during our life time. 133
UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES
Somebody rightly said:
³Consult the Doctor, pay his fee so that he can make his living !
Take the Doctor's prescription to the pharmacist, buy the Medicines, for he has to live !
Bring the Medicines home, throw them away, for You too have to survive !!"
As somebody again rightly said«
³We are putting Medicines of which we know less; into the bodies of which we know Least!´
FACTORS THAT PRESERVE AND RESTORE HEALTH.......
ABSTAINING FROM: Excess Tea / Coffee Smoking Tobacco products Narcotic Drugs Excess Alcohol
1. EXCESS TEA / COFFEE
Anything more than 2 or 3 cups /day, is considered as excess.
Excess Tea / Coffee can cause:
Acidity, Duodenal Ulcer, loss of appetite due to sluggish liver, Disrupts dietary schedule and also can cause missed heart beats.
2. SMOKING / TOBACCO products can induce: Coronary Spasm & Heart attack. Promotes Cholesterol & its deposition in the blood vessels. NOTE: There is no difference between 1 & 40 cigarettes /day as for as Heart attack is concerned. i. ii iii. Throat & Lung cancers have limited options even in MODERN MEDICINE anywhere in the World. 138
are potential CARCINOGENS
NARCOTIC DRUGS -It takes only two days to get addicted to a Narcotic drug. -And it takes months of institutional treatment with lot of expenditure to cure a Drug addict with 95% failure rate.
TO GIVE UP AN ADDICTION
* Remember, an addiction can never be given up gradually. it has to be stopped totally and abruptly.When it is stopped suddenly, withdrawal symptoms like- restlessness, irritability, irrational behavior, sleeplessness etc..develop. * Remaining on Liquid Diet for three days helps in reducing the withdrawal symptoms.Take Family Physician¶s or Psychiatrist¶s help in havinga sedative or tranquilizer for sleeplessness.
* One has to make up one's mind before attempting total abstinence., then, tell Family members and Friends to co-operate. 140
TWO LIMITS OF ALCOHOL
1. 2 Small (30 ml) pegs of Whisky or 1 Bottle (640 ml) of Beer
/ everyday. Those who are not drinking and those who are not drinking daily need not start or need not drink everyday respectively, the above limit is the upper limit.
2. Drink like fish every Saturday evening
/ only once a Week. 141
Alcohol and its relationship to Liver and other serious Diseases
1. One who drinks regularly (2-3 times a week), has to eat high protein diet(chicken, eggs, meat etc). Otherwise liver gets damaged,.and if one eats high protein diet (with high content of spice and oil like in India) one is going to develop« ** Obesity, high Cholesterol, High blood pressure, Coronary Artery Disease, Diabetes. BETWEEN THE DEEP SEA AND THE DEVIL, THE CHOICE BECOMES DIFFICULT !!
Diabetes and alcohol can never go together !! Limited Alcohol may be good for Heart but.. How many people can stick to the safe limits of it ? 142
But, Remember only 1 in 1000 can stick to the limits of Alcohol specified!
SUMMING UP on HEALTH & STRESS Management
* Physical Health has a lot of bearing on Mental stress. * To live is not sufficient;we need also the joy of living;which definitely depends on Health. * Human body is very complicated; it¶s maintenance is the wisest thing. * Medical field has become highly commercialized and unethical like any other field about which you and I cannot do anything. * A reasonable Health all of us have to aspire for and make a little effort as it is not a purchasable commodity. * Family Physician/Company Doctor has a crucial role to play in helping us. * Pessimistic approach of todays educated patient and his ignorance & misconceptions. * MENTAL HEALTH DEPENDS ON««. Moral & Ethical values Professional & Domestic Commitment,
Contentment, Positive approach and Shedding ego
for PHYSICAL HEALTH«««
* Remain on suitable Liquid Diet for few to 48 hours when not well and then see the Family Physician or Company Doctor. * Pregnant women to take care of certain precautions in first three months of conception to avoid Birth Defects in New Born. * People with Hereditary tendency of Diabetes, High blood pressure & Heart attacks have to take certain precautions right from early age. * There are certain Foods that have bearing in Allergic problems. * Assess your own Health periodically. * Annual checkup for couples who have crossed 30. * Factors that preserve our Health and restore, to be always remembered and followed.
Regulated daily routine Good dietary habits Regular yogic exercise Avoid indiscriminate medication, Get rid of habits and addictions
* LET US AGE GRACEFULLY.
The Purpose of the whole session, is to achieve..
that is .......
Having been born, all of us have to "go" someday ! but««..
Let us age gracefully, breathe last without pain and suffering, and not being pathetically dependant on anybody for our day to day needs.
Hope, the points could be put across.
Thank you very much for all the Patience you have shown for this Marathon session.
DR B BAPUJI
Nether I desire Kingdom nor Heaven or rebirth
I only desire that all Living beings be free from suffering.
About the FACULTY «..
Dr. Balijepalli Bapuji, was born on 12th July, 1950 in a family of Doctors and Naturopaths He is the First graduate of Modern Medicine to have taken up Naturopathy as his career, in India. He has given a scientific approach to the system of Naturopathy, specifying its Scope and Limitation. His approach of practice is an integrated one in the best interest of people in restoration of Health. Presently, He is a practicing Consultant at Nature Cure Health Care Center, Hyderabad and also the Medical Advisor to Nagarjuna Group of Industries. He has been a visiting Guest Faculty to the following institutions on the subject of ³Executive Health & Stress management´ and the session has been rated Excellent in the content and as well as in the mode of presentation: Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI), Engineering Staff College of India (ESCI),National Police Academy (NPA), Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Development Banking (JNIDB) , Center for Organizational Development (COD) State Bank Staff Training College, ,Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), College of Insurance and Financial Planning (CIFA)Global Trust Bank, National Industrial Security Academy (NISA),Tata group of Industries ,Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), National Aluminium companyLimited (NALCO), Power Grid Corporation , Satyam Computers ltd, National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) and many other institutions«. FORMER DEAN, Faculty of Indian Medicine (Naturopathy). University of Health Sciences, Government of A.P. He was also Superintendent of Nature Cure Hospital, Begumpet, Hyderabad, a 150- bedded, largest and the oldest institution in India, during 1980-1990. He held full additional charge as Principal of Gandhi Nature Cure College, Hyderabad., between 1985-1987, the first college conducting a University recognized Degree Course in Naturopathy.
about the Faculty cont«..
He was a keen Flier and the only one out of the 9 Cadets of the batch who had done SOLO FLYING on Pushpak Aircraft in 1970 within 17 hours of training while in National Cadet Corps. He is proficient in English, Hindi and Telugu. His hobby is Instrumental Music ± Sitar (Hindustani) He was initiated to Public Speaking & Training by late Sri K V K RAJU, Founder of Nagarjuna Group, who was his Friend, Guide & Philosopher. FOR FURTHER DETAILS: CONTACTDr. RANI BAPUJI / Dr. B. BAPUJI
Nature Cure Health Care Centre,
Kantisikhara, Panjagutta, Hyderabad-500 082. INDIA. Tel. Phone # 91-40- 23418307, 23400601 & 55627212 # 91 40 23757864 (Fax) Timings: 9.00 a.m.---12.00 Noon. 4.30 p.m.--- 8.00
Cell# 91-40- 9848096334 Email -email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org Website- www.naturecurehealthcare.com & www.drbapuji.com
TO ORGANIZE THIS 4 hour / half a day SESSION«..
An effective presentation can be made in a good A/C hall with Screen. Collar Mike, LCD, CPU & Key Board should be made available by the Organizers for Power point presentation (Windows 98 or 2000 ).The Doctor will be carrying a Laptop.
30 to 60 participants (Couples would be ideal, No Children please.)
* * *
For all out station within India, the Professional fee charged for 4 hour programme is -Rs.20,000/- & locally in Hyderabad -Rs 10000/-. For out of India - 5000 $ (U.S), payable by Cashier¶s Cheque, Demand draft or Pay Cheque on the name of Dr.B.Bapuji in Hyderabad. INDIA. For Out station Progarammes, apart from the Professional fee ( variable to meet the opportunity costs, based on how long DR.Bapuji has to be away from Hyderabad ), travel by air, local transport, accommodation & incidental expenses have to be borne by the inviting Company/Organization. Government Sector, Public Sector or Corporate Sector organizing the presentation, has to fix up the dates at least one month in advance. Dr.B.BAPUJI st June 2003 Date 1 Nature Cure Health Care Center, Kantisikhara, Hyderabad, India.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?