This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
3 8 - P A G E
S P E C I A L
Want workouts? We got ’em.
of them, covering every bodypart and providing the answer to every major training goal
BY M&F STAFF | PHOTOS BY IAN LOGAN
but those pesky lower lats are about as responsive as Lindsay Lohan is to rehab.» 102 MUSCLE & FITNESS WORKOUT CENTRAL We’ve all been there. >> GET RIPPED ROUTINE High volume. total-body workout plan designed especially for those balancing a great physique with a hectic schedule plus targeted advice for gaining overall muscle mass or getting superlean. HERE’S A QUICK GUIDE TO THOSE CATEGORIES AND WHAT THEY ENTAIL In general your workouts have never been better. >> AT-HOME ROUTINE Requires nothing more than dumbbells and an adjustable bench. >> BEGINNER’S ROUTINE Mostly machine-based exercises for those still getting their feet wet before progressing to more advanced moves. The following 20 pages are chockfull of routines. so unrack the weight and start lifting 103 . YOU’LL FIND NUMEROUS ROUTINES THAT ADDRESS DIFFERENT TRAINING GOALS AND TROUBLE SPOTS. A L L B O D Y PA R T P H O T O S BY R O B E R T R E I F F >> GET SUPERPUMPED ROUTINE High reps and short rest periods for increased blood flow to muscles. (626) 793-5353.) >> “PRIORITY” WORKOUT ROUTINE For targeting a specific area of a muscle that needs to be brought up. Or it could be you’re just pressed for time and want to know how to perform a decent back workout in just 15 minutes. In this 38-page feature we offer 85 workouts. just not to the extent of the intended location. a common home-gym setup. one or more of which we can virtually guarantee will solve your individual training problems. You’d be hard-pressed to find this many individual routines so easy to navigate in one place. In addition. Cue “Workout Central. we offer a 10-minute routine instead of 15. strength and definition. Or maybe your outer quads or front delts are more Gary Coleman than Ronnie Coleman and just refuse to grow. we provide an efficient 40-minute. >> 15-MINUTE WORKOUT ROUTINE Short rest periods and multiple exercises using minimal equipment for a faster pace. >> STRENGTH ROUTINE Lower reps. GYM: EVOLUTION FITNES S. So what are you waiting for? Identify your problem. November 2007 >> MASS-BUILDING ROUTINE Compound movements. perhaps the problem is your entire pec area.” your onestop shop for muscle size. A priority workout will train other areas of the muscle as well (for example. >> GIANT-SET ROUTINE All exercises are done consecutively without resting between sets to achieve ultra-high intensity. the short head of the biceps will also be worked in the long head priority workout). heavier weight and longer rest periods for when pure strength and power are priorities. high reps and short rest periods to increase intensity and boost metabolism for greater fat-burning potential. Then again. or you sport hams that are more like Spam — mushy and far from the real thing. high volume and moderate rep ranges for maximizing muscle growth. look up the solution and start turning a weakness into a strength. (For abs. ROUTINE KEY THROUGHOUT THE FOLLOWING PAGES.
10. 10. 10. 15. 12 8. MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS Deadlift Bent-Over Barbell Row Seated Cable Row Lat Pulldown 5 5 4 3 6. 12 8. 15 6. 8. 10. 12. 104 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 10. Rest three minutes between each giant set. the movements (most notably back exercises performed using a narrow reverse grip. 10 to failure * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. In the upper lats priority workout. 12. 10. 10 10. 30 10. CLOSE-GRIP LAT PULLDOWN >> Pulling your elbows down close to your body targets the lower lat fibers EXERCISE SETS REPS Reverse-Grip Bent-Over Barbell Row Close-Grip Lat Pulldown Straight-Arm Pulldown Chin 4 4 3 3 10. 20 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 10 10. 10. 8. 6. 10. 12 to failure GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS Deadlift Bent-Over Barbell Row Rack Pull Pull-Up 4 4 4 4 10. 12. exercise selection is key.» WORKOUT CENTRAL LOWER LATS PRIORITY WHEN TARGETING A SPECIFIC AREA of a muscle. Do one set of each exercise backto-back — that’s one giant set. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 10 10. all exercises are done with a wide overhand grip. 12 GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Dumbbell Deadlift 5 4 4 4 10. 12. 6. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. Unless otherwise noted. 30. 20 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Straight-Arm Lat Pulldown Dumbbell Pullover Lat Pulldown One-Arm Dumbbell Row Straight-Arm Kickback Dumbbell Pullover 4 4 4 8. 10 10. 6. 20 10. 12 8. 8. 10. 10. 10. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 8. 12. 15 10. 10. 10. 20. 6 4. including the chin) are all effective at zeroing in on the lower portion of the lats. 4 4 3 3 4. 10. 20 12. 12. 12. 30 10. 12 8. 12. which. 10. 4. 10. but each of the aforementioned routines are great for bringing up their respective areas when a weakness is present. 12. 6. 15. 10. 15 15. 12 STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS One-Arm Dumbbell Row Machine Low Row T-Bar Row Seated Cable Row (wide grip) * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. 15 to failure UPPER LATS PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown Wide-Grip Bent-Over Barbell Row Wide-Grip Seated Cable Row Wide-Grip Pull-Up 4 3 3 3 6. 10. 10. 12. 10. 12. 10. 8 4. create a more dramatic V-taper. 30. 12. Ideally you’d utilize both underhand and overhand grips in a given back workout. GET SUPERPUMPED 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS EXERCISE SETS* REPS Bent-Over Barbell Row Seated Cable Row Lat Pulldown 4 4 4 10. when fully developed. 6. 4. 12. 20 8. In the lower lats priority workout. 15. 15 6. 10 8. 10. 6 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Lat Pulldown Machine Row One-Arm Dumbbell Row Standing Low-Cable Row 4 3 3 3 10. 20 10. 12 10. 10. which helps develop back width just below the armpits. 15 ONE-ARM DUMBBELL ROW >> Concentrate on pulling with your back and not your biceps * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 10 12. 30 Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown Reverse-Grip Lat Pulldown Seated Cable Row 3 3 3 6. 10. 10.COM 105 . 15. 8 4. 8. 10. 30.
12. 6. 15 10. 10. 15 50 * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 10 10. 30 Incline Smith Machine Press Incline Dumbbell Press Incline Dumbbell Flye Decline Push-Up 4 3 3 3 6. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 30 10. 12 to failure * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 12 8. 6. 10. 3) rep ranges of 8–12 (the exception being two sets of six on the incline bench press). 10. GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS UPPER CHEST PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Smith Machine Bench Press Flat-Bench Cable Flye Incline Cable Flye 4 4 4 10. 10. 6 4. 12. 10. 6. 10. 12. respectively — to achieve overall development. 8 4. Rest three minutes between each giant set. 15. 12. 12. 10. 10. which is the optimal rep scheme for promoting hypertrophy. flat-bench dumbbell presses and decline flyes. 15 6. 30. 10. 10. 15. 10 10. middle and lower pecs with incline presses. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 8. 10. 6. 15 to failure 5 4 4 4 10. 10. MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS A WEIGHTED DIP >> Allow yourself to lean forward to better target the pecs Incline Bench Press Dumbbell Bench Press Dumbbell Decline Flye Weighted Dip 5 5 4 3 6. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Machine Chest Press Machine Incline Press Flat-Bench Dumbbell Flye 4 3 3 10. 10 8. 6. 4 4 3 3 4. 10 10. 20. 10 10. 12. 106 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 10. 20 10. including five each for the first two exercises. 10 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS Pec-Deck Flye Smith Machine Incline Press Smith Machine Bench Press Smith Machine Decline Press Pec-Deck Flye 3 3 3 1 6. 10. 6 GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS LOWER CHEST PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Incline Dumbbell Press Flat-Bench Dumbbell Flye Dumbbell Pullover Weighted Dip 10. 10. 20 Decline Bench Press Upright Cable Crossover Dumbbell Bench Press Weighted Dip 4 4 3 3 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 10. 10 10. Do one set of each exercise back-toback — that’s one giant set. 8. Weighted. 4. 10.COM 107 . 2) high volume. 20 10. 30.» WORKOUT CENTRAL THE MASS-BUILDING WORKOUT at right incorporates three variables that are crucial to adding size: 1) compound exercises in the form of barbell and dumbbell presses and dips. 12 8. 12 8. 12 10. 12. 15 6. 4. 15 15. 10. 10. 12 8. 10. 30. 10. 12. 8. 8 4. 10. 10. 20 to failure Incline Dumbbell Flye Bench Press Decline Dumbbell Press 4 4 4 4 10. 15. 10. DECLINE BENCH PRESS >> Bring the bar to your lower chest/upper abs on each rep STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS Bench Press Incline Dumbbell Press Decline Bench Press Flat-Bench Dumbbell Flye * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. 12. dips are included to maintain this rep range. since many individuals are able to exceed 12 reps without added resistance. as the workout consists of 17 total sets. 15. 10. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS B GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS Dumbbell Bench Press Incline Dumbbell Flye Decline Push-Up 4 4 4 8. 30 10. 12. 10. 10. 8. The routine attacks all areas of the chest — upper. not bodyweight. 10. Unless otherwise noted. 12. 20 12.
30. 15 to failure >> Don’t let your heels come up off the platform as you descend. 10. 20 GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 10. 15. 30 10. of course. 10. 10. 15. 10. 15. 20 10. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 10. 10 10. 10. 8 4. MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS Squat Leg Press Hack Squat Leg Extension 5 5 4 3 6. 15 6. 12 8. 10. 10. 10. 6. 10. 15 10. 20 12. 20 10. 8 4. 10. 10. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. Unless otherwise noted. 15. 4. 12. 6 OUTER QUAD PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Narrow-Stance Hack Squat Smith Machine Front Squat Sissy Squat Leg Extension (toes in) 4 3 3 3 6. 12 8. The single-leg leg press is one exercise you don’t often see in a hardcore strength routine. bury the front squat deep in the hole INNER QUAD PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS Wide-Stance Smith Machine Squat High and Wide Leg Press Leg Extension (toes out) 4 4 4 10. 15. 8. 15 15. 12. 20. 10. 30 10. 8. 10 10. 20 12. slightly lower volume (fewer total sets) than a typical mass-gaining workout so as not to exhaust your muscles too much. 10. 4. 6. 8. 6. 10. 12. 30 * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 10 Squat Leg Press Leg Extension 4 4 4 10. 12 8. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Dumbbell Squat Sissy Squat Dumbbell Step-Up 4 4 4 8. 30. 10 10. 10 8. A B MUSCLE-FITNESS. 12 8. 12 Leg Extension Leg Press Smith Machine Front Squat Sissy Squat 5 4 4 4 10. longer rest periods to ensure adequate recovery between sets. Do one set of each exercise back-to-back — that’s one giant set. 10. 12. 15.» WORKOUT CENTRAL STRONG LEGS ARE OFTEN what make a decent body a complete one. 12 8. 10. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Smith Machine Squat Horizontal Leg Press Lunge Leg Extension 4 3 3 3 10. 10. 10. 30. 6. 10 10. 12 10. 10 10. 10. 8. GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Leg Extension Hack Squat Leg Press Smith Machine Front Squat 4 4 4 4 10.COM 108 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 109 . 12. 10. 12. 12. 10 10. 10. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 10. 12. SMITH MACHINE FRONT SQUAT >> Don’t stop at parallel. 12. 4 4 3 4. and. 10. 10. It includes all the aspects any good strength routine needs: compound exercises that allow you to move a lot of weight. 20 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS HACK SQUAT 6. 10. 12. heavy weight with low reps (mostly 4–6). and our quad strength workout will help you add size and power. keep your feet flat throughout Leg Extension Machine Leg Press Bodyweight Jump Squat 3 3 3 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. Rest three minutes between each giant set. but it’s great for determining whether one leg is weaker than the other and for promoting balanced strength in the lower body. 12. 15 Squat Single-Leg Leg Press Hack Squat * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. 10. 10. 12.
12. 10. 20 12. 10. 15. 10. 10. 10. our at-home hammie routine provides an intense training session to help you build bigger legs. 12. Smith Machine Romanian Deadlift Reverse Hamstring Extension Weighted Glute-Ham Raise 3 3 3 6. 10. 30. 15. An important caveat concerns exercises such as squats. 30. 15. 12 8. 10. 8 4. 10. 6. 10. GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Squat Romanian Deadlift Weighted Glute-Ham Raise 4 4 4 10. 10. 10. 8. 12 8. A Barbell Hack Squat Romanian Deadlift Good Morning *Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. even if your quads and glutes come into play a bit. 20 to failure A B B REVERSE HAMSTRING EXTENSION >> A tough move without resistance.» WORKOUT CENTRAL THE HAMSTRINGS ARE ONE of the toughest muscle groups to train at home. 10. 6. 10. 10 10. 10. 10 8. 30 10. 15 OUTER HAMSTRING PRIORITY BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS EXERCISE SETS REPS Squat Stiff-Legged Deadlift Lying Leg Curl (toes out) Barbell Step-Up 4 3 3 3 6. 15. 12. Your hammies will still get a great workout. 10 10. 6. 20 Smith Machine Squat Lying Leg Curl Weighted Glute-Ham Raise Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift 4 4 4 4 10. 12. 12. 8. 12. 10. Rest three minutes between each giant set. 10 10. 12 Leg Press Leg Curl Dumbbell Lunge 4 3 3 10. 12. 10. 15 STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 10. 4. which mainly work the quads but will also stress the hams and glutes if performed through a full range of motion. 10. 8 4. 10 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS REPS * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 10. back flat” on the descent GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Leg Press Dumbbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift Leg Curl Split Jump Squat 5 4 4 4 10. 4 4 4 4. 110 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 . 10. 20 12. 30 10. 10. 10 10. 12 8. 15 6. 10. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 12 8. 12. 10. 8 GOOD MORNING >> Always think “chest up. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS Reverse Hamstring Curl Exercise-Ball Roll-In Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift 4 4 4 30-second hold 10. 15. complete isolation of just the hamstrings often isn’t possible or even necessary. There’s a lot of crossover in the routines featured at right. 30. MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS INNER HAMSTRING PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Squat Romanian Deadlift Good Morning Leg Curl 5 5 4 3 6. 10. 10. 12 Sumo Squat Seated Leg Curl (toes in) Lateral Lunge 4 4 4 10. 12. 10. 30 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 4. 10. 20. 12 8. 12 10. Unless otherwise noted. 15 15. 12. 8. add a light dumbbell to make it even tougher *Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 15 10. leg presses and lunges. That said. 10. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 10 10. since most of us rely on leg curl machines at the gym to train the backs of our thighs. Do one set of each exercise back-toback — that’s one giant set. 15 6. 6. 4. 8.
12. 15. 12 GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Smith Machine Upright Row Cable Front Raise Cable Lateral Raise Dumbbell Shrug REPS 5 4 4 4 10. 8 4. 10 10. forearms) in 15 minutes is no big deal. 10. 12 8. 10. Overhead Barbell Press Upright Row Dumbbell Lateral Raise Bent-Over Lateral Raise 5 5 4 3 6. 10. 10. so no relocation is necessary. 10. 10. 10. 8. 6. 15 10. 10. And just because you’re short on time doesn’t mean you have to shortchange your shoulder development. 10.COM 113 . 10. 10. 10. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Machine Overhead Press Cable Lateral Raise Barbell Front Raise Reverse Pec-Deck Flye 4 3 3 3 10. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 30 10. 10 10. 10. with emphasis on the front and middle delts Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise Seated Bent-Over Lateral Raise 3 3 3 6. 20 GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 4. 6. 10. 8. 8 4. 10. 10 10. 20 10. however. 10. 15 6. 10 10. 10. Unless otherwise noted. makes it possible with only nine total sets and 30-second rest periods in between. 12 8. 12. elbows high * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 12. 8. 15 10. 15 6. 112 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 10 10. 15. 20 10. Do one set of each exercise back-to-back — that’s one giant set. 10. 20 12. 15 15. 12. 10. 10 GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Machine Overhead Press Dumbbell Upright Row Reverse Pec-Deck Flye 4 4 4 10. Most important. 10. 4. 12 10. 15 >> Hits all three delt heads. 10. 12 8. 10. 10. 30. 6. 15. All three heads get attention — front and middle delts with overhead presses. MIDDLE DEL PRIORITY & TRAPS T EXERCISE SETS REPS Overhead Barbell Press Upright Row Cable Lateral Raise Reverse Pec-Deck Flye * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. 12. 6 Smith Machine Behind-the-Neck Press Dumbbell Lateral Raise Smith Machine Wide-Grip Upright Row Bent-Over Cable Lateral Raise Barbell Shrug 4 3 3 3 3 6. 10. Overhead Dumbbell Press Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise Dumbbell Front Raise Bent-Over Lateral Raise 4 4 4 4 10. 10. 15. 15 Neutral-Grip Dumbbell Press Arnold Press Barbell Front Raise Reverse Pec-Deck Flye 4 4 3 3 STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 12 8.» WORKOUT CENTRAL A B MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS TRAINING A RELATIVELY SMALL BODYPART (abs. 15. 4 4 3 3 4. 12. 12. 10. 10. 12 8. 15 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS FRONT DEL PRIORITY T EXERCISE SETS REPS OVERHEAD DUMBBELL PRESS 10. 15. 12. 10 10. 20 12. Rest three minutes between each giant set. 20 12. 30. 10. The 15minute workout at right. all three exercises use the same equipment (dumbbells and a low-back seat). 12. 10. 12. 10. calves. 30 10. 6. 12 8. 6. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 12. 10. 12. middle delts with lateral raises and rear delts with bentover laterals. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 6 4. 8. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Arnold Press Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise Dumbbell Upright Row Seated Bent-Over Lateral Raise 4 4 4 3 8. but getting a sufficient shoulder workout in such a short time is a much bigger challenge. 12. 20. 30. 30 UPRIGHT ROW >> Keep the bar very close to your body on each rep. 10 8.
Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 30. Rest three minutes between each giant set. 10 8. 10. 30 MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS *Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 20 * For each set. 12. do seven reps using just the bottom half of the range of motion.COM 115 . 15 * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 10 10. 8 4. 12 8. 10. 10 10. 6. 12 Barbell Curl Smith Machine Drag Curl Hammer Curl * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. The hallmark of the routine is the high-rep sets (30 reps). 30. 15. 10. 15. GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS Preacher Curl 4 4 4 4 10. 10 10. 10 10. 30 10. 12. 12 6. 12 8. 10. 12. 15 6. 6. 10. 10. 10. 15 10. 8 4. 4. 10. 6. GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Barbell Curl High-Cable Curl Hammer Curl 4 4 4 10. 4 4 4 4. The “Get Superpumped” workout at right was designed to stretch your sleeves just a bit more to help spark longterm muscle growth and assist you in breaking through even the most stubborn plateau. 12. 15 6. followed by seven reps using a full range of motion. 15. which increase blood flow to the working muscles. 12 8. 10. 12. 10. followed by seven reps using just the top half of the range of motion. 10. 8. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. Exercise selection is fairly basic. 20 21 12. with the only possible exception being the high-cable curl for the constant tension cables provide. 12. 10. 12. 15 21 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 20 12. Barbell Curl Preacher Curl Incline Dumbbell Curl High-Cable Curl 4 4 4 3 6. 12 Standing Dumbbell Curl Dumbbell Curl (21s*) Concentration Curl 4 4 4 10. 4. 10. 10. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set.» WORKOUT CENTRAL A GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS THE BICEPS MUSCLES provide arguably the most satisfying pump. 10. 10. 8 CLOSE-GRIP BARBELL CURL >> Want the “peak”? Narrow your grip on the bar DUMBBELL PREACHER CURL >> By using dumbbells simultaneously. 12. 15 10. 8. do seven reps using just the bottom half of the range of motion. 30 10. 10. 10. 10 B BICEPS SHORT HEAD PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Dumbbell Preacher Curl Scott Curl Standing Dumbbell Curl Wide-Grip Barbell Curl 4 3 3 3 6. 4. 10 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS Scott Curl Incline Dumbbell Curl Standing Dumbbell Curl Cable Curl High-Cable Curl Cable Concentration Curl 3 3 3 6. preceded by sets of 10 reps to promote hypertrophy. 30. followed by seven reps using a full range of motion. 12 10. making the sleeves of your T-shirt feel as if they’re two sizes too small at the end of an intense workout. 10 10. ^ For each set. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS EZ-Bar Curl Machine Preacher Curl Cable Concentration Curl 4 3 3 10. 8. 12. Alternating Dumbbell Curl Barbell Preacher Curl Dumbbell Curl (21s^) 5 4 4 10. 10. you can better detect muscular imbalances 114 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 10. 10. 12 8. BICEPS OUTER HEAD (“PEAK”) PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS Close-Grip Barbell Curl Incline Dumbbell Curl Hammer Curl Cable Curl 4 4 4 3 10. 10. 12. 10. 10. Unless otherwise noted. followed by seven reps using just the top half of the range of motion. 10. 15. 10. Do one set of each exercise back-toback — that’s one giant set. 10. 10. 8.
10. The seated overhead dumbbell extension places more emphasis on the long head. 12 STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS* REPS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 15 6. 12. 12. 12. 10. 8. 8 4. then progress to lighter and lighter moves. 10. 12. 10. 15. 10. 10 10. Unless otherwise noted. 8 TRICEPS LATERAL HEAD PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Close-Grip Bench Press Rope Pressdown Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extension 5 3 3 6. 30 * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth. 8. 10. 10 10. * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 20 12. choose a first exercise that allows you to go heavy. 10. 10. 12 10. The lying triceps dumbbell extension that starts off the routine is a good overall triceps developer that works well for adding mass. Close-Grip Smith Machine Bench Press Seated Overhead Cable Extension Straight-Bar Pressdown * Rest 2–3 minutes between each set. 10. 30. 12 8. which is more of a shaping exercise that requires the use of lighter weights. 10. 4. 12. 10 10. 4. Do one set of each exercise back-toback — that’s one giant set. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. 10 10. 15 10. 4 4 4 4. 10. 15. 10. 12. 120 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS V-Bar Pressdown Dumbbell Kickback Seated Overhead Cable Extension 4 3 3 10. Rest three minutes between each giant set. 10. 10. 20 10. 12. 10. 10. 10. 15. 10. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 30 10. 6. The closegrip push-up hits the triceps’ lateral heads especially well while utilizing higher reps (since you use only your bodyweight) for three high-intensity burnout sets. 12 6. 10. 10. 10. 12 GET RIPPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Reverse-Grip Pressdown Weighted Bench Dip Triceps Dip 5 4 4 10.» WORKOUT CENTRAL A B MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS THE BEAUTY OF THE GIANT-SET workout for triceps lies not just in its intensity but in its diversity. 12. 12 8. 10. followed by the twoarm kickback. Lying Triceps Dumbbell Extension 4 4 4 4 10. 12. 10. When doing giant sets. 6. 6. 20 12. 10. 10. 20 15-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS WEIGHTED BENCH DIP 6. 8. 12. 12 8. 10. 15 to failure GIANT-SET WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS * REPS * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 15 Standing Overhead Cable Extension Reverse-Grip Pressdown EZ-Bar Pressdown 3 3 3 TRICEPS LONG HEAD PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS >> A rare compound move for tri’s that’s sure to add strength and size 45-Degree Lying Triceps EZ-Bar Extension Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extension Weighted Bench Dip Straight-Bar Pressdown 4 4 4 3 10. 8. 8 4. 4. 15. 8. 30. 12 8.COM 121 . 30. 10. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Close-Grip Push-Up Lying Triceps Dumbbell Extension Dumbbell Kickback 4 4 4 8. 10 to failure GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS SEATED OVERHEAD DUMBBELL EXTENSION >> An attentive spotter can help with forced reps and take the weight at the end of the set Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extension Two-Arm Dumbbell Kickback Close-Grip Push-Up Lying Triceps EZ-Bar Extension Seated Overhead Rope Extension Rope Pressdown 4 4 4 10. Lying Triceps Barbell Extension Weighted Bench Dip Close-Grip Bench Press Straight-Bar Pressdown 4 4 4 3 6. 15 6. 30 10. 12 6.
for as long as you can. 10 REVERSE BARBELL CURL >> For added intensity. Unless otherwise noted. 8. 122 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. 30 * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 30 10. 30. keep your thumbs on the same side of the bar as your fingers GRIP STRENGTH EXERCISE SETS REPS Horizontal Cable Hold Plate Pinch Straight-Arm Hang 4 3 3 30 seconds 30 seconds to failure A GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Reverse Scott Curl Reverse Barbell Curl Barbell Wrist Curl 4 4 4 10. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 10. 30. hands shoulder-width apart. 10. 10.COM 123 . 12. 15 10. 12 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Dumbbell Wrist Curl Standing Cable Wrist Curl 3 3 10. 20 12. 10. 30. 12 8. the benefits are huge. 10. 12 6. Hold the peak position as long as possible MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS Reverse Barbell Curl Hammer Curl Barbell Wrist Curl Behind-the-Back Wrist Curl 4 4 4 3 6. the forearms are some of the most functional muscles we have. on the plate pinch. select a heavy weight.» WORKOUT CENTRAL WITH ONE OF THEIR MAIN DUTIES being to assist in gripping. 10. especially on exercises such as deadlifts and rows. stand in the middle of a cable crossover station with D-handles set to shoulder level. 12. simply hang from a pull-up bar with your arms straight. 8. 10. you’ll never reach your full potential in the weight room. 10 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Dumbbell Reverse Curl Zottman Curl Hammer Curl Dumbbell Wrist Curl 4 3 3 2 8. B BEHIND-THEBACK WRIST CURL >> Although the range of motion is small. 10. 12 8. 10. hold two 10-pound plates in each hand down at your sides and pinch the plates together with your fingers (progress to heavier plates as you grow stronger). 30 10. rest 60–90 seconds between all sets. and for the straight-arm hang. Unfamiliar with the exercises in the grip-strength workout? For the horizontal cable hold. grasp the handles and stand in an iron cross position for the allotted time. 10. 10 10. 12. 10. If you lack grip strength. 20 10.
20 15. instead. volume and intensity tend to be somewhat lower for the beginner. 25 8. 20.» WORKOUT CENTRAL A B IN MOST BEGINNER’S WORKOUTS. 10. 15 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS One-Leg Dumbbell Calf Raise Seated Dumbbell Calf Raise 4 4 10. rest one minute between all sets. the key is to take this time to master technique so you don’t form bad habits. DONKEY CALF RAISE >> For comfort. 15. Basic mass.the exercises aren’t too different from those in an advanced lifter’s routine. 20. 10. 12. 30. 10. Using a full range of motion is a must for turning your calves into cows. 20 15. especially with a bodypart as stubborn as the calves. 15. 15 15. 10. the pad should rest across your glutes and low back MASS-BUILDING EXERCISE SETS REPS Standing Calf Raise Seated Calf Raise Leg Press Calf Raise 5 5 3 8. 15. 20. Rest three minutes between each giant set. Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 15. Unless otherwise noted. 15. 20 * A giant set consists of four or more exercises performed consecutively without rest as a means to increase intensity and promote muscle growth.and strength-building moves are good for trainees of all levels. 10. be sure to go all the way up onto your toes at the top of each rep and go all the way down at the bottom for a stretch. 10. 15. Do one set of each exercise back-toback — that’s one giant set. 30 10. 12. 15. 15 GIANT-SET WORKOUT * EXERCISE SETS REPS Standing Smith Machine Calf Raise Seated Smith Machine Calf Raise Donkey Calf Raise Leg Press Calf Raise 4 4 4 4 15. and you’ll continue to use seated and standing calf raises indefinitely in your lower-leg training. 20. 15. 124 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 125 . 30. GET SUPERPUMPED EXERCISE SETS* REPS Donkey Calf Raise Leg Press Calf Raise Standing Power Rack Calf Raise 4 4 4 10. no matter the exercise. 30 SEATED CALF RAISE >> The bent-leg calf raise stresses the underlying soleus muscle * Rest no more than 30 seconds between each set. 15 10. 20 BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS Standing Calf Raise Seated Calf Raise 2 2 15. 20 15. For beginners. When training calves. 10. 15. 30. 30 10. 25 10.
in which the pelvis remains stationary and the shoulders and chest move. but the muscles also need to be fully developed to show through. 15 10. 15 15. 10 * Perform these three exercises back-to-back without resting between sets (called a tri-set).» WORKOUT CENTRAL FOR MOST PEOPLE. the lower abs are by far the most difficult region of the midsection to carve out. as long as you perform each exercise slowly and under control.COM 127 . 10 20. All three exercises in the lower abs priority workout entail crunching the pelvis up and toward the ribcage. 15 15. rest 30–60 seconds between all sets. Rest one minute between each tri-set. A clean diet is crucial to great lower abs. since this area typically attracts more bodyfat as opposed to just under your pecs. 10 10-MINUTE WORKOUT EXERCISE SETS* REPS Hanging Leg Raise Kneeling Cable Crunch Decline Medicine-Ball Twist 2 2 2 15. it doesn’t take sets of 50–100 to get abs. 15 LOWER ABS PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Hanging Knee Raise Hip Thrust Scissor Kick 2 2 2 15. BEGINNER’S EXERCISE SETS REPS B Crunch Reverse Crunch 2 2 15. Unless otherwise noted. 20 15. 15 15. 15 10. A A B DECLINE MEDICINEBALL TWIST >> No spotter? Bounce and catch the ball on each side DOUBLE CRUNCH >> Train both upper and lower abs with this targeted move 126 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. the opposite motion of the standard crunch. 15 15. targeting the upper abs. 20 Note: The above workouts don’t include warm-up sets. 15 10. Our rep ranges (10–20) aren’t astronomical. UPPER ABS/OBLIQUES PRIORITY EXERCISE SETS REPS Decline Medicine-Ball Twist Lying Cable Crossover Crunch Machine Crunch 2 2 2 15. 15 AT-HOME EXERCISE SETS REPS Double Crunch Crossover Crunch Scissor Kick 2 2 2 20.
To avoid injury. You could also reverse the procedure — moving from high weight and low reps to low weight and high reps. The “flushing” is your body sending a maximum amount of blood and muscle-building nutrients to that area to best stimulate growth. Ideally. exercise choice. as it won’t maximize the gains you’d see when training longer and more frequently. then gradually increase the weight in each successive set while lowering your reps (6–8). have guided us for decades in our program design. When you find yourself short on time. such as set. have stood the test of time. you may want to hit your whole body in one fell swoop. you’ll rest only 30 seconds between each set and do only 1–2 sets per exercise. FLUSHING TRAINING Train one bodypart with 6 multiple exercises (3–4) before you train another. a list of weightlifting truisms gathered and honed by the father of bodybuilding Joe Weider. Notice how each movement is a basic. 12 8. A pressdown for triceps (rather than a close-grip bench press) is an example of an isolation movement. PYRAMID TRAINING Incorporate a range of lighter 13 to heavier weights for each exercise. as opposed to a strict isolation move. aka a reverse pyramid. 12 8. do another bodypart that day instead. order of exercises. you should perform bodypart routines on different days and train with higher volume. depending on your level of experience and need for higher intensities to blast through any training plateau. PROGRAM DESIGN CYCLE TRAINING Devote portions of your training 1 year to specific goals for strength. do 1–2 light warm-up sets before your working sets for each exercise. mass or getting cut. number of reps. 130 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 . ISO-TENSION Between sets (or even between 9 workouts). We highly recommend that you use them. Cycle periods of high intensity and low intensity to allow for recovery and spur new gains. MUSCLE PRIORITY Hit your weakest bodypart 10 first in a workout or bodypart split. which we’ve divided into three categories. Even though you’ll get in and out of the gym in about 40 minutes.WORKOUT CENTRAL biceps just don’t feel like they’ve recovered from the last workout. taking each one to failure at close to the suggested number of reps to promote hypertrophy. The Weider Principles. your muscles need to work harder in a progressive manner from one workout to the next. it’s crucial that you make the most of every set. However. try to increase your weights each session. MUSCLE CONFUSION Constantly change variables 4 in your workout — number of sets. This regimen gives you the tools to do just that. Go by feel in the gym: If your Incline Barbell Press Bent-Over Row Barbell Squat Overhead Dumbbell Press Barbell Shrug Close-Grip Barbell Curl Lying Triceps Extension Donkey Calf Raise Double Crunch 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 8. Rest 30 seconds between all sets. Each one relies on the strength of the chosen exercises. Hold the weight in the fully contracted position for up to two seconds at the top of an exercise. Control both the positive and negative portions of a rep and avoid momentum to maintain constant tension throughout the entire range of motion. try lightening the load and going for 20 reps in some training sessions to build endurancerelated muscle fibers. when training for muscle size or strength. do more reps or sets. PEAK CONTRACTION Squeeze your contracted 11 muscle isometrically at the endpoint of a rep to intensify effort. Use your training results along with past experiences to constantly fine-tune your program. That said. into your workout. But when “one of those weeks” is upon you. These 24 principles. set selection and rep ranges to target every muscle group. ISOLATION TRAINING This is a technique designed 8 to work individual muscles without involving adjacent muscles or muscle groups. BODY SLAM GET FIT FAST WITH THIS 40-MINUTE FULL-BODY WORKOUT Sure. faster and slower speeds. Bodypart routines should utilize both mass-building multijoint moves and single-joint exercises. as with any training program. COLLECTED BY THE MASTER BLASTER HIMSELF. when you can train with more weight and intensity because your energy level is higher. During most of your training cycle. so you get the most bang for your buck. The key to this workout is that it contains one exercise for each bodypart that hits the greatest amount of muscle fibers. 12 12 12 12 25 to failure PHOTOGRAPHER’S NAME Note: The above workout doesn’t include warm-up sets. too. INSTINCTIVE TRAINING Experiment to develop an 3 instinct as to what works best for you. INTENSITY BOOSTERS CONTINUOUS TENSION Don’t allow a given muscle 5 to rest at the top or bottom of a movement. JOE WEIDER THE BODY SLAM WORKOUT BODYPART EXERCISE SETS REPS CHEST BACK LEGS SHOULDERS TRAPS BICEPS TRICEPS CALVES ABS In the preceding 85 workouts we’ve provided a multitude of ways to thoroughly improve every major bodypart. rep and exercise schemes. This can help decrease your risk of injury and add variety to your routine. but real life doesn’t always work out as we plan. keeping them fully contracted before releasing. core exercise for the respective muscle group. The No. Competitive bodybuilders use this technique to enhance their posing ability through increased muscle control. you can take what we’ve given and tweak it. To speed things along. PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD To continue making 12 gains. employ this routine only when you have a time crunch. Don’t always approach exercises with the same 6–10-repetition sets. flex and hold various muscles for 6–10 seconds. this 40-minute full-body gauntlet should keep your training goals on track. HOLISTIC TRAINING Use numerous training tech7 niques (low and high reps. ECLECTIC TRAINING Incorporate a diverse selection 2 of variables. or decrease your rest periods between sets. as you learn and advance your muscle-building efforts. Start light with higher reps (12–15) to warm up the muscle. and alternate exercises) to stimulate maximum muscle fibers. length of your rest periods — to avoid getting in a rut and slowing growth. you’d like to go to the gym 4–6 days a week for an hour or so a pop. 1 benefit of having a training partner: forced reps THE WEIDER PRINCIPLES BUILD THE PERFECT ROUTINE — OR MAKE ANY WORKOUT BETTER — WITH THESE 24 TRIED-ANDTRUE TRAINING PRINCIPLES. or if you’re in an extremely busy stretch and can’t make it to the gym more than twice a week. 12 8.
“Beginners often try to do every exercise for every bodypart. make sure you use that to your advantage. or by using other high-intensity methods such as rest-pause or cycled training that you haven’t tried before. Also. use a weight that’s 15%–25% heavier than you can typically handle. The more progress you make. remember that training stimulates the process of muscle breakdown. “Enthusiasm is good if you’ve never worked out before and you’re starting a new program. then you’re paying for the resources to build a better body. you’ll have time to socialize postworkout. then strip more weight off to complete even more reps. your muscles adapt and you no longer make strength and size gains the way you did as a beginner. For example. on the bench press. Doing hours of biceps curls won’t make your arms grow any faster — and could be counterproductive. Your training partner will lift the bar with just enough force to get you past the sticking point. In fact. but growth occurs after your workout during your recovery period. not as a hindrance to your progress. and doing the movement with one arm as you lean to the side by gripping a vertical post with your opposite hand.” says Adam Garett. MA CHANCES ARE THAT IF YOU’RE NOT GROWING.” This also applies to overambitious lifters who get carried away with volume and intensity. Use a weight you can lift for 2–3 reps. denser muscles if you learn how to do each of its variations. intermediate. Too bad they’re not the only ones making mistakes. you can start with leg extensions (which target the quads) before a set of squats (which also work the glutes and hamstrings). you’ll see lifters — regardless of their level of experience — spending a great deal of their time resting in the gym. it’s time to rethink your approach and try some extraordinary methods to jump-start serious muscle growth. Do this as long as your muscles can move the weight. If you’re a gym member. Whether it’s taking a longer-than-necessary breather between sets. While doing heavy barbell curls. ultimately slowing their progress. Once you’ve been training for a while. Studies show that those who lift in the presence of others have a tendency to push around more weight than they would lifting alone. chatting or looking away will keep your partner from reaching his goals and is an open invitation for injuries. either. 20 with reps at the end of a set to help you train past the point of momentary muscular failure. then try for another 2–3 reps. both in front and behind your back. also try doing the move from a seated position or one arm at a time while standing. Garett says. Marginalizing your duties as a reciprocating spotter by going through the motions. even if only a few inches. REST-PAUSE Take brief rest periods during a set of 24 a given exercise to squeeze more reps out of a set.” Garett explains. MUSCLE-FITNESS. NEGATIVES Resist the downward motion of a very 21 heavy weight. CHEATING Use momentum (a slight swing of the 18 weight) to overcome a sticking point as you fatigue near the end of a set. Go to the gym to work — use your couch at home to lounge and grow.and advanced-level bodybuilders also commonly make critical errors in their workouts. While switching up exercises can help. And there are also some universal bad habits that we gym rats commit from time to time that could be a burden to those around us. “Consciously make the decision to challenge yourself by doing exercises you hate. if you’re doing standing dumbbell lateral raises for your middle delts. Continue to do reps until you fail. Other alternatives include using cables for raises. and a lot of bouncing out of the hole in squats and bench presses. but that enthusiasm needs to be tempered because hormones that break down muscle quickly start rising. This includes making sure you do a thorough warmup. And after your partner helps you push through your heavy sets. TRI-SETS Perform three consecutive exercises for 15 one muscle group in nonstop sequence. leaving their racked and towel-shrouded equipment for a bathroom break or rubbernecking to get a look at the hottie on Cardio Row. Virtually every exercise can be tweaked. These problems don’t just go away when you’re lifting heavy day after day. PRE-EXHAUSTION Pre-exhaust a muscle with a 23 single-joint exercise before performing a multijoint movement. you might be able to perform only eight strict reps to failure. Florida. Besides. stretching afterward (especially your low back and hamstrings to help prevent low-back pain) and knowing the difference between good and bad pain.” Garett says. FORCED REPS Have a training partner assist you SINS OF THE GYM By Bill Geiger. which is aided by good nutrition.WORKOUT CENTRAL Chatting on your cell while spotting: the ultimate gym faux pas ADVANCED TRAINING TECHNIQUES SUPERSETS Perform sets of two exercises for the 14 same or different muscle groups back-to-back with no rest in between. GIANT SETS Four or more exercises for one muscle 16 group performed in back-to-back fashion without rest in between. YOU’RE MAKING ONE OF THESE SIX CRITICAL TRAINING MISTAKES Take a look around the gym and you can easily spot the beginners: guys doing barbell curls in rhythm with a pelvic thrust. a certified personal trainer at Bally Total Fitness in Oakland Park. you’ll build thicker. worrying less about sets and reps. BURNS Continue a set past the point at which you can 17 lift a weight through a full or even partial range of motion with a series of rapid partial reps. quickly strip an equal amount of weight from each side of the bar or select lighter dumbbells. Not Making the Most of Your Time at the Gym 3) 4) Not Putting Your Mind to Work 5) Not Practicing the “Little Things” 6) Not Paying Attention 1) Unbridled Enthusiasm You want to get big. but doing too much too fast won’t do your body any good. but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Expect to hit your body hard for 45–60 minutes total. you can’t maintain the intensity very long when your energy levels are trailing off. Not Learning Every Variation of a Given Move 2) While you may know how to perform every exercise in your workout with textbook technique. and fight the negative as you slowly lower the bar to your chest. but each and every variation also works the muscle a little differently. be sure to return the favor.” If there’s one thing advanced lifters know. If you’re lucky enough to have a training partner. PARTIAL REPS Do reps involving only a partial 22 range — at the top. For instance. Have your partner assist with the positive portion of the rep. Over the long term. extended rest can be detrimental to your progress. doing rotator-cuff stretches and exercises. the more important it is to pay attention to all the things you skipped as a beginner. “Knowing how to do a particular move a number of ways can be helpful when there’s a line in front of you for a given piece of equipment. and repeat one more time.COM 132 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 133 . In leg training. So why waste time when you’re there? Too often. rest as long as 20 seconds. such little things will prove huge. and this helps build the muscle more fully. DESCENDING OR DROP SETS After completing 19 your reps in a heavy set. about 30 minutes for a given muscle group. A subtle swing of the weight or a slightly faster rep speed may help you get 1–2 additional reps. Take another brief rest and go again for as many reps as you can handle. it’s sore joints and aches and pains. For advanced bodybuilders only. and you won’t be. “Listen to your body and focus on the pump and feeling the muscle work. for example. in the middle or at the bottom — of a movement.
You definitely don’t want to head to the gym on an empty tank. Progress makes perfect. but some people still reach for white toast. not the other way around. you definitely want to have some protein. If losing bodyfat is your primary goal. Your best bet is to train using intervals. which allows you to be slightly more metabolic at rest. tsk tsk. where you frequently alternate between bouts of high intensity (80%–90% MHR) and low intensity (50%–60% MHR). If you’re looking to shed some bodyfat. BEST TIP: While having some carbs in your system is ideal preworkout. 20–30minute. Always strive for greater weight loads to get big and lean 134 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 MUSCLE-FITNESS. In the absence of new stimuli. while another group who did cardio after weights burned nearly 50% of their total calories from fat. If you’re doing any of them. your muscles will simply grow content and either plateau or backtrack in size and shape. whole-grain bread. But that leisurely prance is simply no match for a hard-sweat. postlifting cardio sessions per week. BUT IF YOU’RE LOOKING TO GET LEAN. Steady-state cardio done at 70%–80% of your max heart rate will definitely eat away at bodyfat. we know better. Take in 30–40 grams of slowerdigesting sources such as oatmeal. But before you guzzle a sports drink or have a baked potato. Japanese researchers recently determined that doing a weight workout before cardio resulted in significantly more fat-burning than doing cardio alone. “Lighter weights with higher reps is what really gets you ripped. Somewhere on a cave wall it is written in ancient Sanskrit: A carb is a carb is a carb. BEST TIP: Base your program on heavy. doing cardio after your weight-training session is almost twice as productive at burning fat. we fill these pages with fitness and nutrition “must dos” to educate you and keep you on the right track. Today. Lifting heavier will help you gain more lean tissue. but this way of thinking is as archaic as eight-track cassettes. Plus. such as constantly increasing weight loads. High-rep sets definitely have their place — increasing muscular endurance and pump. This anabolic hormone is great to boost after the workout for encouraging muscle growth. there are still those who make a few cardinal mistakes.” says the shapeless gym enthusiast. BEST TIP: Perform cardio when it’ll be most productive for you — after you hit the weights.WORKOUT CENTRAL The “Do Not Do” List GETTING LEAN WE ALWAYS TELL YOU WHAT TO DO TO CHANGE THE WAY YOUR BODY LOOKS. This method of training leaves the body burning more fat long after you put in your last sprint — no heartrate monitor required. fruit or sweet potatoes 15–30 minutes before training. Performing cardio before weight training Some silly folks like to shamelessly exploit a fundamental training mantra — that you should always train for priorities. a cardioonly group burned just more than 20% of their total calories from fat. Mr. heavy training (6–8 reps) increases the total caloric expenditure during and after your workout. but sometimes the best way to develop good habits is by learning what not to do. YOU SHOULD ALSO KNOW WHAT HABITS TO AVOID By Eric Velazquez Each month. for example. pal. you’ll want to make smarter choices to keep your fat-burning high. In the study. then cardio should be your primary focus in the gym. Use moderate. Nonsense and his amoebic physique have good intentions. Now go to your room and read. multijoint lifts such as squats. Sticking to light weights and high reps “Heavy weight just bulks you up. your physique is in big trouble. One reason for this amazing disparity is that the body plows through stored glycogen during your weight routine. but during the workout it blunts fat-burning. deadlifts and various presses that recruit and build more total muscle and burn more calories. know this: Fast-digesting carbs will have a negative impact on your body’s ability to burn fat for fuel in the gym because they boost insulin. While cardio by itself is certainly productive. which is why you should fuel up in the 60–90 minutes or so before your first rep. Try mixing in 3–4.(10–12 reps) and lightweight (12–20 reps) sets to complement your heavy training. Research shows that athletes who eat these foods burn more fat. Gatorade and other fast-digesting carbs to round out their preworkout meal. fat-nuking interval session. Sticking to lightweight sets (12–20 reps) for an extended period robs your muscles of what they need most — a constant challenge. Eating fast-digesting carbs preworkout Before you hit the gym. Here we explain the 10 things you absolutely should not do if you want to get lean. however.” Tsk.COM 135 . making fat the primary fuel source once it’s time for your cardio. there are some very basic guidelines anyone can follow to start achieving results. but you may be selling yourself short. right? This is one case where your priorities are just backward. For some reason. for instance — but they should never form the backbone of your program when you’re trying to get lean. Always doing steady-state cardio at 70%–80% of max heart rate (MHR) We love those skinny dudes who hit the treadmill with a heart-rate monitor strapped around their chests — it helps round out their already stylish headband-and-AdidasGazelles look.
Eating fibrous veggies such as broccoli. Supersets are a perfect way to do that. When it comes to shedding bodyfat. Virtually every fat-burner on the market contains some form of caffeine. because it’s an easy fix. That’s right — getting less sleep actually contributes to higher levels of bodyfat over time. The addition of protein will help slow the digestion of carbs. carb-deprived bodybuilders need the occasional carb-heavy snack to keep their sanity intact. What a shame. It has worked wonders. While some people rely on three squares to meet their daily caloric needs. where they’re burned for energy. Sticking to straight sets in the gym Three sets of 10 on every exercise. BEST TIP: Take 3–6 grams of amino acids or consume a light. but some guys miss the mark preworkout tive. Take 1–2 grams of carnitine three times a day. An extra glass of milk. BEST TIP: If you’re looking to drop bodyfat. Caffeine binds to fat cells to enhance fat-burning during exercise. there’s no substitute for hard training and sound dieting. But we’re here to tell you that refusing to use supplements to power your fat-fighting efforts could leave you feeling as though you’re driving in circles. Always have them with protein and small amounts of fat to slow digestion and keep There’s no rest for the ripped. web browsing or just reading — and get up early for work suffer the consequences by way of the belly. you should know just how important pre. drops in blood sugar and greater fat retention. and how much has it helped you lean out? If you’re reading this.and postworkout nutrition and supplementation is. more frequent meals keep your metabolism higher. Take 500 mg of green tea extract three times a day. however. jerky. you like to come home. 10–20-gram whey protein shake before cardio. get to bed at a decent hour and aim to get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. BEST TIP: Even if you’re chained to a desk for 10 hours a day. that’s Jessica Biel on Late Night with Conan O’Brien! There goes another half-hour. That’s because our navigational prowess makes it unnecessary for us to do so. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use everything at your disposal to speed up your results. fruit and protein bars are all good things to keep on hand. making your training and nutritional efforts all the more produc- ting the treadmill Maurice Greene–style. Avoiding these supps is an easy way to downshift your progress. It’s easy to eat like a maniac after a hard workout. you need to kick things up a notch. but some guys miss the mark when it comes to the preworkout prep. Hey. Avoiding protein or amino acids before cardio If you’re a regular m&f reader. green tea and carnitine Men. keeping your body from storing them as fat. then you need to manage your time better. Smaller. but unless you’re doing 8-mile hikes with a 70-pound rucksack twice It’s easy to eat like a maniac after a hard workout. feel free to do so. Eating three squares a day We don’t blame you entirely for this one. So if your diet makes you feel as if you need to chow down on a plain bagel from time to time. Why? All three attack fat-burning from different sides. How long have you been doing that.WORKOUT CENTRAL BEST TIP: Perform 20–30 minutes of interval training on a treadmill. 136 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 . overeating. make sure you’ve primed your body to hold on to as much muscle as possible. huh? Yawn. Eating carbs alone Even the most dedicated. refuel with food. nuts. Protein powders. cauliflower and green beans helps ensure slower digestion of all carbohydrates. too. This philosophy works for our armed forces. BEST TIP: Try using an all-supersets workout for 2–4 weeks to elevate your metabolism. some egg whites or some cottage cheese are all suitable items to add to a carb-rich dish. thus increasing muscle mass and stoking fat-burning without really increasing your workout volume. particularly in terms of halting muscle catabolism on a cardio-only day. too. you find that the night has gotten away from you. plop down on the couch and take inventory of your DVR list. moving from one exercise to another with limited rest in between increases your calories burned during exercise. Avoiding caffeine. So before hita day. including one serving just before your workout. After your sixth episode of Rescue Me. burn more calories and boost GH levels. the answers are probably “too long” and “not much. Just don’t have it alone! If you eat carbs by themselves. The whole “breakfast. Taking 10–20 grams of fast-digesting whey protein or 3–6 grams of amino acids before a hard cardio session — particularly those done in the morning on an empty stomach — will help ensure that your body has available energy for the work ahead rather than tapping into muscle protein. allowing your body to use more of the food for fuel instead of dropping it off on your waistline. Let’s not forget: Leaning out isn’t nearly as fun unless you have some muscle underneath that blubber. particularly outside of training times. green tea prevents the breakdown of the metabolism-regulating neurotransmitter norepinephrine and carnitine helps transport fat into the mitochondria of cells. 1–2 minutes of rest between sets. lunch and dinner” approach to nutrition has been an American mainstay seemingly since time began. This is especially important for cardio before breakfast. Performing two or more exercises back-to-back without rest can boost postworkout growth hormone levels. Pushing your body with supersets burns more bodyfat your blood sugar levels in check. especially in the evening. you’re better off consuming 5–6 small meals a day. make sure you consume small meals or snacks every 2–3 hours. Is it really 1:15? You finally commit to exiting your recorded shows when you realize. Being a night owl We know how it is. elliptical or bike 2–3 times per week. you might as well start shopping for wider-waisted jeans. such larger infrequent meals can cause stomach bloating. Plus. what with us Yanks now in the midst of a national obesity epidemic.” If you really want to blast away at stubborn fat stores. We’re too proud to ask for directions. BEST TIP: Never eat carbs alone. including one serving just before and one serving immediately after your workout. sure. BEST TIP: Take 200–400 mg of caffeine with breakfast and 200–400 mg 1–2 hours before your workout. Go to bed already! Studies have shown that those of us who like to stay up late — be it channel surfing. canned tuna. green tea or carnitine. After a hard day’s night at the gym. Try one minute of high intensity (a fast run) followed by one minute of low intensity (a slow walk) and keep repeating. Wind down after your workout. It’s okay to have carbs when trying to get lean — just make sure you have some protein.
I’m actually doing most of this stuff right. especially if you’re trying to gain muscle.5 gallons of water per day. Wait. cutting weight. in which 60–100 grams of fastdigesting carbs are needed to drive glycogen to muscles. But one area where we see people falling well short of satisfactory when it comes to building muscle is with water. what? Despite water’s ability to support blood volume while helping deter the breakdown of muscle via free radicals. such as those experienced during weight training. Going dry As we near the end of the list. But because you’re working out as hard as you are (or should be). some guys just don’t want to be hitting the head every half-hour and therefore neglect their H2O consumption. mostly from slow-digesting sources such as whole-wheat bread and oatmeal. Gaining mass.WORKOUT CENTRAL Creatine can help you get bigger and stronger faster Curling too intensely for too long can bring biceps-building to a halt BEST TIP: Creatine bolsters your body’s ability to exert itself in short. BEST TIP: Take in 2 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight per day. leaving people scratching their heads over their lack of progress. strive to take in 1–1. they can be your biggest ally. Good for you. you might be thinking. The bad rep that carbs have gotten in the media has steered many lifters away from this critical macronutrient. 140 MUSCLE & FITNESS November 2007 . powerful spurts. Carbs aren’t your enemy. Limiting carbohydrate consumption Man cannot live on protein alone. Make most of your carbohydrate sources slow-digesting foods — with the exception of your postworkout meal. Take 3–5 grams of some form of creatine 30 minutes before your workout and 3–5 grams immediately afterward to keep strength and size gains coming. you actually need more water than the average person. in fact. it doesn’t seem to matter. BEST TIP: If you plan on being adequately hydrated for your workouts and for all the growth that happens afterward.
heavy lifting with 6–8 weeks of more moderate sessions. a change in scenery and lighter activity can aid in the recovery process. It’s true what they say: You can get too much of a good thing. and before bed) 5) Return to the gym with a restructured routine that incorporates fewer intensity techniques.” Peña says. leading to altered mood states and even depression. sapping you of energy. For you. alternating 6–8-week bouts of intense. “That can often fuel the pattern of overtraining in affected individuals who aren’t conscious of the condition or refuse to acknowledge the symptoms.” says m&f Fitness Director Jimmy Peña. But going overboard too often or for too long is a sure way to interrupt your gains. “Overtraining is not caused in a day. but staying away from heavy. digestion problems. These pages include 85 specialized routines that you can spend the next several years experimenting with as you carve your body into a rock-hard work of art. And it could be that you’re tired because you decided to watch a few repeats of Family Guy on Cartoon Network the night before.TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING? DON’T MISTAKE DILIGENCE FOR INSANITY. “This means eating enough of the right kinds of foods. PhD. Maybe you’re in a bad mood simply because the guy who used the leg press before you neglected to wipe down the bench or remove his plates. further limiting gains in size and strength. it could be a sign that you’re overtrained. nor can it be cured in a day. The increase in cortisol. “The most significant changes that occur in someone who’s overtrained are hormonal. So if you’ve been doing four sets of six reps on most exercises. more moderate loads and more rest between sessions 142 . Getting sick more often? That’s another sign of overtraining — your immune system takes a beating after prolonged bouts of high-intensity exercise. MS. which is a stress hormone. This doesn’t mean zero activity. But some things are easier to catch and should thus raise a red flag.” says m&f Senior Science Editor Jim Stoppani. forced reps and drop sets for the last several months. and you’re willing to put yourself through the ringer to pursue it. “Overtraining is usually the result of training at too high of an intensity or with too much weight or too much volume for too long.” Peña says. After a while. can be easy to see for a guy who has been monitoring his progress in the mirror and on the scale. even splurging more than someone is used to. and the quality and timing of your meals are important factors in preventing and coming back from overtraining. Its value far exceeds its 30-day shelf life and will provide you service well beyond your next workout. This could mean taking several days. An Inside Look Some of the symptoms of overtraining are pretty tough to peg. even weeks. Despite the clarity of symptoms. is your routine. say. you have to be aware of the weaknesses of your flesh.” You are. nor can it be cured in a day. your body experiences depressed levels of thyroid hormones. depression and drops in strength and endurance.” So before you put this issue to its fullest use. you’re a prime candidate for an overtraining-induced plateau. Keep that in mind when you start up any of the programs in this or any other issue of muscle & fitness. affecting your body’s ability to generate energy during workouts. Today they call it overtraining. progress in the weight room is a passion. CSCS. intensity and/or frequency. is to temper your enthusiasm and periodize your weight training. turns your body catabolic and causes you to lose muscle and strength. irritability. The body. however. intensity techniques galore — could actually end up bringing an abrupt halt to your progress. The first place to look. fatigue. “What appears to be a plateau in progress caused by lack of proper diet or intensity can be mistaken for the syndrome of overtraining itself. is only capable of so much in a given period.” Stoppani says. A decade ago they called it wussing out. intense lifting is key. GOING OVERBOARD WITH YOUR WEIGHT TRAINING MAY KEEP YOU FROM REACHING YOUR GOALS IN THE GYM By the M&F Staff These nightmarish symptoms end up affecting a lifter’s central nervous system. Sore joints are also part of the misery. That’s why it’s important to allow ample recovery time MUSCLE-FITNESS.” Stoppani agrees. sleeping troubles. you’re begging to hit a wall. increased sweating. Overtraining is — as the Marines in the movie Jarhead referred to the Iraqi desert — “The Big Suck” for lifters.and postworkout. you should understand the ins and outs of overtraining. then. not to mention the physical results that will follow. off from the gym. So modest are we here at m&f that we’re sometimes loath to admit — we’re pretty good at what we do. believe it or not. allow the mind a mental break from the pressure of trying to achieve perfection. “That’s why it’s very important to allow ample time for recovery.” So don’t forget your 20 grams of protein and 40 grams of slow-burning carbs before workouts. a lot of sets. unusually long recovery times after exercise. Bringing the Over Under (Control) The first step toward getting your overtrained wreck of a body growing again is recognizing the symptoms. Our annual workouts issue is a bodybuilder’s dream come true. If you’re finding it tough to get the last few reps on an exercise with a load you were handling just weeks earlier. The trick. or take an extended break of 1–2 weeks 2) Loosen normal dietary restrictions 3) Engage in non-gym activities 4) Start supplementing with protein (20 grams of whey immediately preworkout and 40 grams of whey or a whey-casein mix immediately postworkout) and glutamine (5 grams with breakfast. pre.” As if that’s not enough. But before you can bear a likeness to Michelangelo’s David. going balls to the wall for too long — tons of weight. doing 20 sets per bodypart and mixing in. After that. Growth hormone levels also fall. for example.” Stoppani says. “Diet is a very important factor in preventing overtraining. what you eat. and your adrenaline levels can go haywire.COM WHAT TO WATCH FOR Fatigue Increased resting heart rate Digestion problems Decrease in strength Decrease in muscle mass Drop in blood pressure Irritability Depression Joint pain Sleeping troubles WHAT TO DO WHEN OVERTRAINED 1) Reduce training volume. If you work out like a maniac and miss these key windows for nutrition. M&F OVERTRAINING 101 HERE’S HOW TO IDENTIFY WHETHER YOUR BODY IS OVERTRAINED AND HOW TO BUST OUT OF YOUR RUT ONCE YOU’RE THERE Overtraining is not caused in a day. A decrease in muscle mass. as always. “Your testosterone levels fall and your cortisol levels are elevated. And don’t even think about missing your 40–60 grams of whey protein and 40–60 grams of fast-digesting carbs after training. While getting to the gym day in and day out may be one of your fondest pastimes. Outdoor activities. it revolts — from the inside out. getting back on track is easier than you might think. “Those who eat properly before and after their workouts are at much less risk of overtraining because these meals help the body recover faster and much more thoroughly. “Overtraining is a very real condition experienced by bodybuilders characterized by an increased resting heart rate. overtraining can still sometimes be difficult to diagnose.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.