This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
What is MEMS?
• MEMS technology is an amalgam of principles, based on tools and methods, applicable for the fabrication of micron sized elements comprising structural, mechanical, optical and electrical components
What is Optical MEMS?
• The integration of micro-optics and micro-electromechanical systems has created a new class of microsystems, termed micro-opto-electromechanical systems (MOEMS) • In Optical MEMS mechanical motion of microstructures is used for manipulation of photons
• MEMS Mirrors are the most critical component for optical MEMS technology.
• MEMS mirrors are 2 types
– Torsional mirrors – Piston Mirrors
2-axis motion mirror
• Torsional mirrors deflect light spatially by rotating the mirror surface relative to the plane
Piston mirrors move perpendicular to the plane of the mirror and shift the phaseof the incoming light
Application areas of optical MEMS
• • • • • Display and Imaging Systems Fiber Optic Communication Optical Scanning Systems Adaptive Optics Medical treatement
MEMS for Display
• High Resolution • High Contrast and Brightness(High Fill factor) • Small Size • Controlled in both digital mode and analog mode • New market such as portable projector and large screen TV
Optical biopsy provides high-resolution, crosssectional imaging of tissue noninvasively. MEMS Endoscopic OCT Imaging
MEMS-based Endoscope fits into a standard Cystoscope Schematic of endoscopic OCT system
Fiber Optic Communications Optical Crossconnects (OXCs)
• Switching Speed in μs/ms range • Low Crosstalk / Low Insertion Loss • Small Size / Low Cost • Scalability to Large Number of I/O Port
2-axis motion mirror
Micromirror Array “Bubble” Optical Switch
Telescope Adaptive Optics
In a nutshell
• Microelectronic integrated circuits can be thought of as the "brains" of a system and MEMS augments this decision-making capability with "eyes" (Optical integration) and "arms“ (mechanical Integration) to allow Microsystems to sense and control the environment. • It will make a diverse catalog of unprecedented levels of functionality, reliability, and sophistication making possible the realization of complete systems-on-a-single-chip .