a. OSCAR WILDE QUOTATIONS 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me. To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. Work is the curse of the drinking classes. I can resist everything except temptation.
10. A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. 11. A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is
Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has
known.12. A man's face is his autobiography. All that I desire to point out is the general principle that life imitates
art far more than art imitates life. she is perfectly satisfied.
22. As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her own
daughter. All art is quite useless. All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling.nothing annoys them so much. All women become like their mothers. A woman's face is her work of
fiction. A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
29. A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. That's his.
. 13. 16. 15. A true friend stabs you in the front. Ambition is the last refuge of the failure. No man
does. America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence
without civilization in between. 23. A poet can survive everything but a misprint.
30. Arguments are extremely vulgar.
21. Always forgive your enemies . 18. Ambition is the germ from which all growth of nobleness proceeds. That is their tragedy. for everyone in good society holds
exactly the same opinion. A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament. 17. Arguments are to be avoided: they are always vulgar and often
27. 20. An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at
all. 25. 24.
Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance. There is
passion. That is all. if ever. worship. it will cease to be popular.
39. Conscience is
the trade-name of the firm.
41. Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the
33. Children begin by loving their parents. Charity creates a multitude of sins.
35. it will always have its
fascination. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated. 38. journalism keeps us in
touch with the ignorance of the community. after a time they judge them. Between men and women there is no friendship possible. 45. Bernard Shaw hasn't become prominent enough to have any
enemies. or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon. Conscience and cowardice are really the same things. Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people
for the people. or springtime.
32. as it needs
no explanation. than genius. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight. Monogamy is the same. but none of his friends like him. As yet. Beauty is a form of genius .is higher. Biography lends to death a new terror. but no friendship. As long as war is regarded as wicked.
46. At 46 one must be a miser. love. Bigamy is having one wife too many. only have time for essentials. Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you
that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength. 40. strength and courage to yield to. When it is looked upon as vulgar.
rarely. do they forgive them. enmity. 43. 37. Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
I choose my friends for their good looks. 62.
58. I have nothing to declare except my genuis. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months. 55. Hatred is blind.
49. I can resist everything except temptation. and my enemies for their intellects. 51. Everything popular is wrong. 63. Education is an admirable thing. He lives the poetry that he cannot write. Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing.
. and far
more expensive. but it is well to remember from time
to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. 52.
48. as well as love.
61. He was always late on principle.
not of the sitter. I am not young enough to know everything. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
59. That is the only proper
basis for family life.
54. It is
never of any use to oneself. Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist. for he weeps when there is
nothing at all to weep about. Fathers should be neither seen nor heard. his principle being that punctuality is
the thief of time. I always pass on good advice.
53. my acquaintances for their
good characters. He must have a truly romantic nature. 50.
56. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. How marriage ruins a man! It is as demoralizing as cigarettes.47. It is the only thing to do with it. The others write the poetry
that they dare not realise. How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on
treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.
society here would be quite civilized. 66. If you pretend to be good. If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again. One should always have something
sensational to read in the train. If one plays good music. Illusion is the first of all pleasures. If you
pretend to be bad.
73. I never travel without my diary.
79. and the Irish how to
listen. In all matters of opinion. If you are not too long. the world takes you very seriously.
68. pretending to be
wicked and being really good all the time. there is no
use in reading it at all. 69. I will wait here for you all my life. In America the President reigns for four years. They give them but a little of their lives. I am always satisfied with the best. I hope you have not been leading a double life. I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated
his ability. I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms. there would be less trouble
in the world. To be in it is merely a
77. 81. I suppose society is wonderfully delightful.65. I have the simplest tastes. 78. the most
immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being. I see when men love women.
But women when they love give everything.
70. I put all my genius into my life. people don't listen and if one plays bad
music people don't talk. If there was less sympathy in the world.
71. it doesn't. and Journalism
governs forever and ever. our adversaries are insane. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism. I put only my talent into my works. If one could only teach the English how to talk. That would be hypocrisy. 80. But to be out of it is simply a tragedy.
Keep love in your heart. Its failings notwithstanding. It is better to be beautiful than to be good. In England people actually try to be brilliant at breakfast.
92. It is through art. But.
97. 85. It is an odd thing. saying
things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true. It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you
will be when you can't help it. and through art only.82.
. nowadays. there is much to be said in favor of
journalism in that by giving us the opinion of the uneducated.
94. In married life three is company and two none. It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. That is so
dreadful of them! Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast. It must be a delightful city. 86. Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship... It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating.
87. it is better to be
good than to be ugly. 91. A life without it is like a sunless garden when
the flowers are dead. but every one who disappears is said to be seen at
San Francisco. It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless
information. It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about. In every first novel the hero is the author as Christ or Faust. People are either
charming or tedious. It is only an auctioneer who can equally and impartially admire all
schools of art.
88. that we can realise our
83. and it is far the
best ending for one. In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older
than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience. and possess all the attractions of the next world.
their passions a quotation.
114.Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense. 112..No great artist ever sees things as they really are. 105. 102.which is the same thing nowadays.
106.Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Nothing succeeds like excess.Music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory.women like to be a
man's last romance.98.. Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life. is that
one day I ceased my obstinate pursuit of my own individuality. and discover
when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. he would
cease to be an artist. If he did.Memory.Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason. Their thoughts are someone else's
111. 100. Give him a
mask. 99.Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we
personally dislike. is the diary that we all carry about with us.Most people are other people. and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it
is not.Men always want to be a woman's first love .Life is never fair.
113. Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
110.Music makes one feel so romantic . the fault for which I can't forgive myself.Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by
reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event.Moderation is a fatal thing.My great mistake.Life is too important to be taken seriously.at least it always gets on one's
nerves . and he will tell you the truth.
. their lives a mimicry.
126. That is the reason one should never
marry. and be more.Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus. 120. the true kingdom for each
one of us. and true progress is to know more.
128. just as nothing can cure
the senses but the soul.
118.No object is so beautiful that. nowadays. 123. real riches cannot. and live down
everything except a good reputation. it will not
look ugly.Only the shallow know themselves. but it
had always been hushed up.Nothing can cure the soul but the senses.
125. 131.One of the many lessons that one learns in prison is.Ordinary riches can be stolen. 116.Nothing is so aggravating than calmness.One should always be in love.Of course I have played outdoor games.
121. under certain conditions.No man is rich enough to buy back his past.Nowadays to be intelligible is to be found out.
makes egotists of us all.One can survive everything. and to do
.Nothing makes one so vain as being told one is a sinner. it does a
great deal of harm.
127. except death.
130. It looks so
calculating.Our ambition should be to rule ourselves. that things are
what they are and will be what they will be. In your soul are
infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you. 129.No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age.
124.One's past is what one is.115. It is the only way by which people should
be judged. I once played dominoes in
an open air cafe in Paris.One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful.
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
143.The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the
world its own shame.Self-denial is the shining sore on the leprous body of Christianity.Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live. and the bad unhappily. if you have the conditions.
147.Some of these people need ten years of therapy -ten sentences of
mine do not equal ten years of therapy. 138.Questions are never indiscreet. 145. It is the critical spirit that creates. after all. except of course in his
150.She wore far too much rouge last night and not quite enough clothes.more.Perhaps. America never has been discovered. He is doing his best. 144.The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
That is always a sign of despair in a woman. chooses
both.The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is
unreadable and literature is not read.
148. 141. That is what fiction
means.The English country gentleman galloping after a fox . 134.The imagination imitates. you get the result. I myself
would say that it had merely been detected.Success is a science. 137.
135.Please do not shoot the pianist.
136. 139. it is asking others to
live as one wishes to live.
140.The good ended happily. when he has the choice of two evils.The
unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable.Pessimist: One who.
146.The General was essentially a man of peace. answers sometimes are.
The typewriting machine. conscious of this. supplies their demands.
162. is the complete absence of any intelligence amongst its members. The present is what man ought not to be.
.The world has grown suspicious of anything that looks like a happily
married life. The future is what artists are. It forgives everything except
159. not the invisible.The public is wonderfully tolerant.The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything.
156. the middle-aged suspect everything. as a healthy organism. when played with expression.The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple. It is
with the future that we have to deal. 164. and
the basis of the stability of Society.The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
155.The salesman knows nothing of what he is selling save that he is
charging a great deal too much for it.
154. The present is of no importance.The old believe everything.The man who can dominate a London dinner-table can dominate the
world.The security of Society lies in custom and unconscious instinct.
157. it's dead
for you.The one charm about marriage is that it makes a life of deception
absolutely necessary for both parties. 160.The true mystery of the world is the visible. I can resist
everything but temptation. is no more
annoying than the piano when played by a sister or near relation. the
young know everything. Except
what is worth knowing. For the past is what man should not have been.The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. and having tradesman-like habits.The past is of no importance.The moment you think you understand a great work of art. Journalism.
175.There is nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman.There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about. or badly written.To regret one's own experiences is to arrest one's own development. 176. those who believe the
incredible. 182.To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect. 180. I hope it will last.
179. and those who do the improbable. Destiny does not send us heralds.
.What we have to do.
To deny one's own experiences is to put a lie into the lips of one's life. is to revive
the old art of Lying.
It is a thing no married man knows anything about.The world is divided into two classes.This suspense is terrible.
181. Books are well
written. It is no less than a denial of the soul. 170.
172. and the other is getting it. 177.
171.There is nothing so difficult to marry as a large nose. and
that is not being talked about.There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one
169. 178. and people who know absolutely nothing.To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune. what at any rate it is our duty to do.True friends stab you in the front.
167.To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.Those whom the gods love grow young.
She is too wise or too cruel for that. to lose both
looks like carelessness.There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating people who know absolutely everything.
173.There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. 174.There is no sin except stupidity.There is no such thing as an omen.
188.Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking
192. by each let this be heard. now that I am old I know that it is. men risk theirs.183. some with a flattering word. Women try their luck.Women are made to be loved. 193. not understood. When a man marries again. That is
the difference between the sexes.Yet each man kills the thing he loves.When good Americans die they go to Paris. Men always are.Why was I born with such contemporaries? 191.
187. The coward does it with a kiss. is poor? 190.When a man has once loved a woman he will do anything for her
except continue to love her. being loved. 186.Women are never disarmed by compliments.When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers.
194.When I was young I thought that money was the most important
thing in life.
do it with a bitter look.When a woman marries again it is because she detested her first
husband. the brave man with a sword!
.Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. it is because he adored his first wife. 189.Who.