P. 1
Coal Power System Stability

Coal Power System Stability

|Views: 9|Likes:

More info:

Published by: Hasala Dharmawardena on Sep 05, 2011
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as DOCX, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

06/22/2014

pdf

text

original

Stability Analysis of Srilanka’s power system with the predicted increase of capacity of single unit generators servicing the

Base Load
Abstract
This paper describes the stability problem associated with installing extra-large capacity unit generators which are required to run as base load due to economic and technical constraints. This paper will analyse the problem by deriving 3 common scenarios and simulating the effect they will have on the power system stability. Ultimately if the circumstances are found to be detrimental for the generators or external power system suitable solutions will be presented to overcome the problems.

1. Introduction
As per the long term generation plan of Srilanka , the base load will be shifted to coal within a decade. The technological constraints forces the coal power plants torun at a plant factor close to one. Since they are large centralized systems with massive capacity (e.g. 300 MW ), they end up taking a major share of the off peak load of the system. With respect to Srilanka, as and when the Coal power plant starts operating at 300 MW full capacity it will provide from 70% to 95% of the off peak load. This is supposed to have detrimental effect on the stability of the single large capacity generator as well as the stability of the power system. Thus this study will focus on getting an exact idea of how much this will effect the power system.

3. Results
These plots will be generated for analysis. Generator mechanical power/Electrical Power vs time, Bus frequency vs Time, Bus voltage vs time, Generator exciter voltage vs time, difference in power angle difference between the two machines vs time and variation of the electrical power output of the two generators with time. The derived plots will be critically analysed to ascertain the results.

2. Methodology
2.1 Key Assumptions It will be assumed that at off peak conditions 90% of the load will be provided by one single generator while the remaining 10% will be provided by another single generator wilth fast ramping capabilities. 2.2 Case Studies Transient analysis will be conducted on two unique scenarios. (I) 100% load rejection (fault) – To check generator stability (II) t second 3 phase fault of generator bus – (e.g. Auto reclose operation) To check if the generators will be out of sync (causing power swings which in turn causes breaking of turbine shaft) such that they will have to be resynchronized 2.3 Data The characteristics/parameters of typical coal and hydro power plants will be obtained from the utility company. 2.4 Simulation A comprehensive simulation will be conducted using power system software Etap/PSCAD. Mathematical modeling will be by Matlab.

1

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->