This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Agastya uvaca Ashwaanana Mahabuddhe Sarvashastra-vishaarada l Kathitam Lalithaadevyaah caritam paramaadbhutam ll 1 ll … …. … Hayagreeva uvaca LopaamudraapatEgastya saavadhaana manaah shruNu l Naamnaam sahastram yannoktam kaaraNam tadvadaami te ll 12 ll
Page 1 of 25
Dear All: In today's (Sep 17, 2011) Lalitha Sahastranamam (LS) chanting, we were fortunate to recite both the Poorva bhagam and the Phala shruti, both of which are rarely recited in most chantings. As you all know, the sage Agastya received the LS from Lord Hayagreeva (see link given below for a nice article by M. V. B. S. Sarma for some additional details). In the opening verses, which begin with Agastya uvaca, the sage is essentially pleading with Lord Hayagreeva (see verse 1 above). Although the Lord has shared many important aspects of how Lalitha devi is worshipped by Her devotees, the Lord has thus far withheld from him the most divine Lalitha Sahastranamam (LS). He wonders why and asks the Lord if he is unworthy of receiving the LS. He wants to know the reason. http://www.shaktisadhana.org/Newhomepage/sadhana/lallithasahasranama /lalitasahasranamaprologue.pdf Now, one of the 1000 namas of Lalitha devi is Lopamudraarcitaa = Lopaamudraa + arcitaa which means One who is worshipped by the devotee known by the name of Lopaamudraa. This is found in verse 128. Lopaamudraarcita Leela-klupta-BrahmaaNda-maNdalaa l 128 l From archana (worshipping by reciting namas and adding namah at the end) we get arcita. This devotee named Lopaamudraa worshipped Lalitha devi so many times, and with such great devotion, that Devi Herself came to be known as Lopaamudraarcita. Who is Lopaamudraa? She is none other than the wife of sage Agastya. In fact, according to the legend (see link above, article by Sarma), it was the sage Agastya who created her. Once, the sage was walking through a forest and there he unexpectedly met his ancestors. They were suffering and were found hanging (upside down from their legs) in a deep pit.
Page 2 of 25
Agastya enquired about their plight and they told him who they were and also told him that they would be liberated if he took up family life and begets a son. Agastya, a great yogi, then decided to create the perfect female whom he could marry. It is said that he took different parts from different animals to create this perfect human female. Since something disappeared (lopanam, disappearance) from each animal in this process, the female created in this way was called Lopaamudraa. Agastya then gave the female child away to the King of Vidarbha, who had no children. Later, after she grew up and reached marriageable age, Agastya returned and claimed her as his wife. In the interim Lopaamudraa had become the most beautiful and perfect human female and a great devotee of Lalitha devi, so much so that Devi Herself assumed the name of Lopaamudraarcita. With this background, let's see what Lord Hayagreeva tells Agastya when asked why LS had been shared with Agastya and if the sage was unworthy of receiving this divine stotram? Hayagreeva begins by calling Agastya Lopaamudraapate! Agastya is called by many different names in different places in the LS introduction and in the phalashurti but nowhere else is he called Lopaamudraapate - which means O husband of Lopaamudraa. Hayagreeva tells Agastya that he is after all the husband of Lopaamudraa (not one who created her, but one who married her, just creating her did not guarantee that Agastya would be able to marry her). So, there is no question of any worthiness on Agastya's part. The mere fact that he is the husband of Lopaamudraa, who is such a great devotee of Lalitha devi, means Agastya must be a deserving recipient of LS. Then, Hayagreeva tells Agastya that He did NOT withhold this divine LS from Agastya deliberately. Rather, Agastya had never asked to be instructed in the LS. That was the only reason. The LS is to be guarded as a secret. It is not to be revealed to everyone - only to those who are devotees and wish to be instructed and make such a request with a great deal of devotion.
Page 3 of 25
Now, one should not think the sage Agastya is being praised by Hayagreeva, by calling him Lopaamudraapate. The real compliment here is for Lopaamudraa. Hayagreeva Himself was meditating on and recalling Lopaamudraa before beginning His instruction. The sage of Kanchi (Mahaperiyavaa as he is often called) also discusses this point in his discourse on the LS. After receiving the LS from Hayagreeva, Agastya still was not satiated. He knew there was still something more and wanted to hear that as well from Hayagreeva. It is said that Agastya prostrated and grabbed Hayagreeva's feet for a very long time (some say for 300 years, you will see why, shortly). Finally Lalitha devi Herself appeared with Lord Shiva, and told Hayagreeva that He should instruct Agastya on the Trishati, which means the 300 namas of Lalitha devi. This had not been revealed to Agastya. It too is considered a secret stotram and is shared only when a devotee asks for it. Agastya wanted to be instructed but did not know the name of the stotram that he had not received. Thus, it was with Lalitha Devi's grace that the sage Agastya received the Divine Trishati from Lord Hayagreeva. Since it has only 300 namas, the Trishati can be recited in a much shorter time. However, the benefits of reciting the Trishati are immense. Some say that it is equal to reciting LS one koti (one crore = ten million) times. Some of the 300 namas, which begin with Kakaara roopa KalyaNee KalyaaNagunashaalini, were chanted by Lord Shiva, the others by Devi, and some by the Divine couple, together. Hence, the ideal recitation of the Trishati would involve the men chanting sections chanted by Devi, the women chanting sections by Lord Shiva, and both joining together to chant sections chanted together by the Divine couple. Someday, I wish, we can make a divine CD which captures such a chant. Very sincerely V. Laxmanan Sep 17, 2011
Page 4 of 25
The Trishati Stotram
http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/trishati.pdf Sanskrit text of Trishati http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/trishatinaamaavali.pdf Namavali version of Trishati (in Sanskrit)
Page 5 of 25
Ka – Ae – ee – la – Hreem Ha – Sa – Ka – Ha – La – Hreem Sa – Ka – La – Hreem The above sounds (reproduced in Sanskrit Devanagari and Tamil below) are the Pancadashaakshari (15) mantra. The 300 namas in Trishati begin with these 15 sounds. Ka (3 times) and Ha (2 times) are sounds indicating Lord Shiva, Hreem (3 times) indicates both Shiva and Shakti and also the Trimurthis, and the remaining seven sounds indicate Shakti. The unique aspect of the composition of this stotram is that twenty (20) names in each group of the Lalita Trishati start from each of the 15 letters which form the Pancha Dasakshari Mantra (in the order above).
कएई ल हसक हल सकल கஏஈ ஸகல
Page 6 of 25
http://www.ambaa.org/pdf/lalita_trishati_san.pdf Most complete Sanskrit text with complete stotram and introductory converstation of Agastya and Hayagreeva. http://www.hindudevotionalblog.com/2008/10/lalita-trishati-stotra-lyricslalitha.html English transliteration of Trishati with Dhyanam slokas
Friday, October 31, 2008
Lalita Trishati Stotra Lyrics - Lalitha Trisathi
The Lalita Trishati Stotram is contained in the chapter called Lalithopakyanam from Brahmanda Purana. Lalitha Trishati is a highly revered Sanskrit Stotram which contains the 300 Divine Names of Goddess Lalitha or Goddess Parvathi Devi. Similar to Lalitha Sahasranamam, the Lalita Trishati Stotra features as a conversation between Sage Agastya and Lord Hayagriva (the avatar of Lord Vishnu with Horse Head). Lalita Trishathi Stotra is considered as the most secret of the stotras and describes the three hundred names of Goddess Lalitha. The unique composition of the stotra is that each twenty (20) names of Lalita Trishati start from each of the 15 letters which form the Pancha Dasakshari Mantra. In the Phalashruti section, following the 300 namas, Hayagreeva states in sloka number 2 and the first line of sloka 3 that the namas which describe Shiva were chanted by Devi, those describing Devi by Lord Shiva, and those describing both by the Divine couple together. The sage Agastya then asks (verses 6 and 7) which namas pertain to whom. Ashwaanana Mahaabhaga rashyamapi may vada l ShivavarNaani kaanyatra ShaktivarNaani kaani hi ll 6 ll Ubhayorapi varNaani kaani vaa vada Deshika l
Page 7 of 25
VarNanam means description. These are esoteric secrets to be revealed by a guru. Agastya asks to be instructed into these secrets as well. Hayagreeva then replies as follows (verses 9 and 10). The namas starting with ka (3 times) and ha (2 times) are renowned as the section pertaining to Lord Shiva. Each group has 20 namas and this constitutes a total of 100 namas. Those starting with Hreem (3 times) pertain to both and the remaining (7 times 20 each) to Shakti, i.e., Devi. The Lord Hayagreeva also mentions that a devotee must become knowledgeable about this secret as well. Chanting without knowing these esoteric secrets does NOT please Lalitha Devi. Pancha Dasakshari Mantra is Ka-aa-ee-la-hrim Ha–sa-ka-ha-la-hrim Sa-ka-la-hrim Lalita Trishati Stotra Lyrics - 300 Divine Names of Goddess Nyasah Asya Sri Lalita Trishathi Stotra Maha Mantrasya Bhagavan Hayagreeva Rishi-hi Anustup Chandah Srilalita Maha Tripura Sundhari Devata Aiym Bijam Souh Saktihi Klim Kilakam Sri Lalita Maha Tripurasundari Prasadasiddhidvara Jape Viniyogaha
Page 8 of 25
Dhyanam Athi –madhura –chapa –hastha –aparimitha moda –bana sowbhagyam Aruna-athisaya-karuna-abhinava-kula sundharim vande Sri Hayagriva Uvacha: http://www.celextel.org/stotras/devi/lalitatrishati.html
Lalita Trishati Stotram
Lalita Trishati Stotram
Translated by P. R. Ramachander
Though the God Vishnu, Shiva and Brhama (called the Trimuthi) are the most important Gods in Hinduism, there is a very large school of thought which gives primacy to .the Shakthi (literally the strength) which is the female aspect controlling even these gods. The followers of Shakthi cult were called Shakteyas. Among this group rose a peculiar group of sages who were called Tantrics. They believed in Shakthi only and worshipped her using a strange method which was not usual for example worshipping a virgin, doing yoga sitting on a corpse and so on. They preferred acts rather than words mostly. To them the names of Goddess had some divine meaning, which would give them supernatural powers. They also believed in animal and even human sacrifice. From them rose voluminous religious literature dedicated to Shakthi .In these books sounds were considered extremely important. Chanting each sound was believed to result in different powers or benefits. The most important ancient books that they followed were the Devi Bhagavatam (The story of Devi), Devi Mahatmyam (from Markandeya purana), Lalitha Sahasranama and Lalitha Trishathi.(both from Brhamanda purana) These are contained in the chapter called Lalithopakyanam (The essay on Lalitha). This entire chapter is in the form of conversation between Hayagreeva (an avatara of Vishnu with a horse head) and Agasthya, who is one of the important saptha rishis. Agasthya is also the saint who is supposed to have originated the Tamil language by writing its first book of grammar. He was married to Lopamudra. It is believed she became the holy river Kaveri that made South India fertile.
Page 9 of 25
Among the stotras in this chapter are the Lalitha Sahasra namam (the thousand names of Lalitha) and Lalitha Trishathi (the Lalitha three hundred.) Lalitha is the name of the goddess meaning, she who can be easily attained or She who is simplicity personified. Adi Shankara has written a bhashyam (explanatory text to Laltha Sahasra namam.). He also has contributed to Shakteya literature by writing a book called Soundarya Lahari (literally –waves of beauty). In the Lalithopakyanam chapter, Hayagreeva teaches Agasthya the famous Lalitha sahasranamam. But Agasthya does not get satisfied because he feels that his teacher has not taught him one another important stotra. Hayagreeva hesitates because that one stotra is extremely secret. Then Lalitha herself appears before Hayagreeva and asks him to teach Agasthya, the most secret of the stotras called Laltha Trishati. She also tells him that this is the Sarva Poorthikara stotra meaning “that stotra which completes everything.” Then Hayagreeva thanks his disciple for giving him an opportunity of seeing the Goddess Lalitha herself and teaches him The Lalitha Trishathi stotra. This stotra recounts the 300 names of the goddess. Twenty names each start from each of the fifteen letters which form the Pancha dasakshari manthra (the 15 letter manthra). This manthra is Ka- aa-ee-la-hrim Ha –sa-ka-ha-la-hrim Sa-ka-la-hrim The first five letters (vaag bhava Koota) given in the first line originate from the Mooladhara (Literally basic support or the support which is the root) which is situated below the vertebral column. This is supposed to house the baser instincts in man. This manthra (entire first line) is supposed to rise from Mooladhara like the fire in time of deluge and touch the anahatham (the basis for food) The second six letters (Kama raja koota) start from the anahatham with the power and brilliance of billions of sun and touches the Agna chakra(Literally the wheel of command). The last four letters (Shakthi koota) starts from the Agna chakra like the soothing light of billions of moon and touches the Lalata Madhya(The center of the forehead). This series of sounds is supposed to start from the baser instincts (Compared to a coiled serpent sleeping in The Mooladhara) lights one by one the Stomach , the chest and travels through the Sushmna Nadi and blossoms the
Page 10 of 25
unopened bud of the Lotus with thousand petals in the brain. Once this is opened the Yogis believed that there is no knowledge in earth and heaven that you did not know. Each line of Panchadasakshari manthra is considered equivalent to one Gayatri. Because of this the chanting of Lalitha Trishathi is supposed to lead to great benefits to the Sadhaka. It is supposed to give him all that is needed.
Athi –madhura –chapa –hastha –aparimitha moda –bana sowbhagyam Aruna-athisaya-karuna-abhinava-kula sundharim vande Bow I before Her, Who is the Colour of red, Who is mercy of mercies, Who is epitome of beauty, every minute and second Who holds the bow made of sugarcane, And who has arrows which bring happy prosperity. Stotram * 1 * Kakara Roopa - She who is like the alphabet ‘ka’-This alphabet ‘ka’ represents light- This is also the first letter of the Pancha dasakshari manthra * 2 * Kalyani - She who makes good things to happen * 3 * Kalyana- guna shalini - She who is personification of good qualities * 4 * Kalyana shaila nilaya - She who resides at the peak of the mountain of good * 5 * Kamaniya - She who is attractive * 6 * Kalavathi - She in whom fine arts reside * 7 * Kamalakshi - She who has lotus like eyes * 8 * Kalmashagni - She who destroys sin (Kalmasha literally means dirt) * 9 * Karunamritha sagara - She who is the sea of the nectar of mercy * 10 * Kadambha kanana vasa - She who lives in the forest of Kadamba (a tree of heaven) * 11 * Kadamba kusuma priya - She who likes the flowers of Kadamba (indicates mind with good thoughts) * 12 * Kandharpa vidhya - She who is the holy knowledge worshipped by the God of love. * 13 * Kandharpa janakapanga veekshana - She who created God of love by her
Page 11 of 25
sight * 14 * Karpoora veedi kallolitha kakupthada - "She who fills all the world by the holy scent of chewing of betel leaf with ingredients like cardamom, nutmeg, mace, camphor, saffron etc" * 15 * Kali dosha hara - She who destroys the bad effects of Kali (communal discord is also called kali) * 16 * Kanja lochana - She who has eyes like lotus and Neelotpala flowers which are born in water. Or She who takes care of the universe by her mere vision. * 17 * Kamra vigraha - She who has a mien which steals the mind * 18 * Karmadhi sakshini - She who is the witness for action * 19 * Karayathree - She who makes one do actions * 20 * Karma phala pradha - She who gives fruits of actions * 21 * Eakara Roopa - "She who is like the alphabet ‘ea’-Ea denotes the absolute truth, the brahma- This is also the second letter of the pancha dasakshari manthra" * 22 * Eaka ksharya - She who is denoted by the holy letter ‘Om’ * 23 * Eka aneka akshra krithi - She who is personification of each alphabet as well as all alphabets * 24 * Ethath-thathithya nirdesya - She who cannot be indicated as this or that * 25 * Ekananda -chidakrithi - She who is personification of ultimate happiness and knowledge * 26 * Evamithyaagama bodhya - She who is not indicated as ‘this’ by scriptures or she who is not described by scriptures * 27 * Eka bhakthi madarchida - She who is being worshipped by those with one minded devotion * 28 * Ekagra chitha nirdyatha - She who can only be meditated upon by fully concentrated attention (thought) * 29 * Eshana rahi dathrudha - She who is supported by those without attachment (desire) * 30 * Ela sugandhi chikura - She who has hairs with the sweet smell of cardamom * 31 * Ena kooda vinasini - She who destroys bundles of sin * 32 * Eka bhoga - She who enjoys all pleasures herself * 33 * Eka rasa - She who is the essence of only love * 34 * Ekaiswarya pradayini - She who gives the real and only asset ( the asset of salvation) * 35 * Ekatha pathra samrajya pradha - She who gives you the power of the emperor of the world * 36 * Ekanda poojitha - She who can be worshipped in absolute solitude * 37 * Edhamana prabha - She who has the foremost luster * 38 * Ejadeneka jagadeeswari - She who is the goddess of all the moving world
Page 12 of 25
* 39 * Eka veeradhi samsevya - She who is being worshipped by valorous warriors first * 40 * Eka prabhava salinya - She who has unmatchable riches * 41 * Eekara Roopa - "She who is like the alphabet “ee”-ee denotes Shakthi , that which makes us all move-This is also the third letter of Pancha dasakshari manthra" * 42 * Eesithri - She who eggs you do everything or She who is the motive force * 43 * Eepsithartha-pradayini - She who gives that which is asked * 44 * Eedrigithya vi nirdesya - She who cannot be indicated or limited by word “like this”- she who cannot be described by words * 45 * Eeswaratwa vidhayini - She who gives you the feeling of God- she who makes you feel god like * 46 * Eesanadhi brahma mayi - "She who is in the form of five gods viz brahma, Vishnu Rudra, Eesa, and Sadashiva" * 47 * Eesithwadh ashta Siddhidha - She who gives the eight super natural powers * 48 * Eekshithri - She who exists because of her will or she who is the witness * 49 * Eekshana srushtanda kotya - She who creates billions of beings by her will * 50 * Eeswara vallabha - She who is the consort of Eeswara ( God) * 51 * Eeditha - "She who is praised in the holy books like Vedas, puranas etc" * 52 * Eeswarardhanga sareera - She who is half the body of Eeswara * 53 * Eesaadhi devatha - She who is the Goddess to the God(Eeswara) * 54 * Eeswara prerana kari - She who make suggestions to the God (Eeswara) * 55 * Eesa thandava sakshini - She who is the witness to the cosmic dance of God(Eeswara) * 56 * Eeswaroth sanga nilaya - She who sits on the lap of the God(Eeswara) * 57 * Eedhi badhaa vinasini - She who destroys unexpected calamities * 58 * Eeha virahitha - She who does not have desire to attain the unattainable * 59 * Eesha shakthi - She who is the power within of God(Eeswara) * 60 * Eeshath smithanana - She who has a smiling face * 61 * Lakara roopa - She who is the form of alphabet “la”- la denotes the wave which initiates wisdom-This is the fourth letter of pancha dasaakshari manthra * 62 * Lalitha - She who is simplicity personified Or She who is like the mother who makes children happy by play acting * 63 * Lakshmi Vani nishevitha - "She who is served by Lakshmi the goddess of wealth and Sarawathi , the goddess of knowledge" * 64 * Laakhini - She who is easily approachable * 65 * Lalana roopa - She who can be seen as goddess in all women * 66 * Lasadh dharadima patala - She who is the colour of opened pomegranate flower
Page 13 of 25
* 67 * Lalanthika –lasadh bala - She who has a shining forehead with the beautiful thilaka (dot) * 68 * Lalada nayanarchidha - She who is worshipped by Rudra who has an eye in the forehead or She who is worshipped by those yogis with insight * 69 * Lakshanojwala divyangi - She who shines with all perfections * 70 * Laksha kodyanda nayika - She who is the lord of billions of universes * 71 * Lakshyartha - She who is the inner meaning of the aims * 72 * Lakshanagamya - She who cannot be understood by explanations * 73 * Labdhakama - She whose desires have been fulfilled * 74 * Lathathanu - She who has a soft body of a climbing plant (tendril) * 75 * Lalamara jadhalika - She who has a thilaka made of musk in the forehead * 76 * Lambi muktha lathanchitha - She who beautifies herself with long pearl chains * 77 * Lambodhara prasa - She who is the mother of Lord Ganapthi * 78 * Labhya - She who can be attained * 79 * Lajjadya - She who has the wealth of shyness or She who hides shyly from non-devotees * 80 * Laya varjidha - She who never dies during ultimate deluge * 81 * Hreemkara Roopa - She who is of the form of word “hreem”- the fifth letter of panchadasakshari manthra * 82 * Hreemkara nilaya - She who resides in “Hreem” * 83 * Hreem pada priya - She who likes the manthra “hreem” * 84 * Hreem kara beejha - She who is hidden in the manthra “hreem” * 85 * Hreem kara manthra - She who has “hreem” as manthra (word of incitation) * 86 * Hreem kara lakshana - "She who has “hreem” as property,- (Ha denotes Shiva, Ra denotes Goddess and EE denotes Vishnu, thus hreem indicates creation, organization and destruction)" * 87 * Hreemkara japa supreetha - She who is pleased by recitation of Hreem * 88 * Hreemathi - She who has within her hreem * 89 * Hreemvibhushana - She who has hreem as ornament * 90 * Hreem shila - "She who has all the good qualities of hreem(Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva)" * 91 * Hreem padaradhya - She who can be worshipped by the word hreem * 92 * Hreem garbha - "She who has within her hreem (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva)" * 93 * Hreem padhabidha - She who takes the name of hreem * 94 * Hreemkara vachya - She who is the meaning of hreem * 95 * Hreemkara poojya - She who is being worshipped by hreem
Page 14 of 25
* 96 * Hreem kara peediga - She who is the basis of hreem * 97 * Hreemkara vedhya - She who can be realized by hreem * 98 * Hreemkara chinthya - She who can be meditated through hreem * 99 * Hreem - She who gives salvation * 100 * Hreem sareerini - She who has her body as hreem * 101 * Hakara roopa - She who is of the form of alphabet “ha”- this letter indicates the valour which kills enemies-this is the sixth letter of panchadasakshari manthra * 102 * Hala drith poojitha - She who is worshipped by him who has the plough( could be Lord Balarama or the farmer) * 103 * Harinekshana - She who has eyes similar to the deer * 104 * Harapriya - She who is the darling of Lord Shiva * 105 * Hararadhya - She who is being worshipped by Lord Shiva * 106 * Haribrahmendra vandhitha - "She who is worshipped by Vishnu, Brahma and Indra" * 107 * Haya roodaa sevithangri - She who is worshiped by the horse mounted cavalry * 108 * Hayamedha samarchidha - She who is worshipped during Aswa medha yaga(horse sacrifice) * 109 * Haryaksha vahana - She who rides the lion (Durga) * 110 * Hamsa vahana - She who rides the swan (Saraswathi) * 111 * Hatha dhanava - She who kills asuras * 112 * Hathyadi papa samani - She who reduces the effect of sins like murder * 113 * Harid aswadhi sewitha - She who is worshipped by he who rides the green horse(Indra) * 114 * Hasthi kumbhothunga kucha - She who has breasts as high as the forehead of the elephant * 115 * Hasthi krithi priyangana - She who is the darling of he who wears elephant skin (Shiva) * 116 * Haridhra kumkuma digdha - She whose body is covered with turmeric powder and kumkum (saffron) * 117 * Haryaswadhya amara archidha - She who is worshiped by Indra (he who rides on green horse ) and other devas * 118 * Harikesa sakhi - She who is the friend of Paramasiva(who has hair of golden green) * 119 * Hadhi vidhya - She who is the personification of Hadhi vidhya named as Lopa mudhra (ha-sa-ka-la-hrim ha-sa-ka-ha-la-hrim sa-ka-la-hrim) * 120 * Halaa madhalasa - She who is drunk with wine which was created from the
Page 15 of 25
ocean of milk * 121 * Sakara roopa - She who is of the form of alphabet “sa” – which denotes material wealth and pleasures-This is also the sixth letter of Panchadasakshari manthra * 122 * Sar vagna - She who knows everything * 123 * Sarvesi - She who rules over everything * 124 * Sarva mangala - She who gives all good things or She who is all good things personified * 125 * Sarva karthri - She who is the doer of all actions * 126 * Sarva bharthri - She who takes care of everything * 127 * Sarva hanthri - She who destroys everything * 128 * Sanathana - She who does not have any beginning or She who is eternal * 129 * Sarva navadhya - She who does not have any blemish(she who is always new) * 130 * Sarvanga sundari - She whose every organ of the body is beautiful * 131 * Sarva sakshini - She who is the witness of everything * 132 * Sarvathmika - She who is the soul of every thing * 133 * Sarva sowkhya dhatri - She who gives all pleasures (actually good aspects of life) * 134 * Sarva vimohini - She who bewitches everything * 135 * Sarvadhara - She who is the basis of everything * 136 * Sarva gatha - She who is everywhere or She who goes everywhere * 137 * Sarva avaguna varjitha - She who has deleted all bad qualities from her * 138 * Sarvaruna - She who is reddish or She who is the dawn of everything * 139 * Sarva maatha - She who is the mother of everybody (She who is the end of reasoning in all) * 140 * Sarva bhooshana bhooshitha - "She who is made up with all ornaments ( since she is you yourself , she wears all your ornaments)" * 141 * Kakara artha - She whose meaning is the alphabet ‘ka’-This alphabet ‘ka’ represents light- This is also the eighth letter of the Pancha dasaksshari manthra * 142 * Kala hanthri - She who is destroyer of (beyond) time or She who destroys God of death * 143 * Kameshi - She who rules over desires * 144 * Kamithartha da - She who fulfills all desires * 145 * Kama sanjivini - She who brought the God of love (kama0 to life * 146 * Kalya - She who is an expert in fine arts or She who is fit for being meditating upon * 147 * Kadina sthana mandala - She who has firm breasts
Page 16 of 25
* 148 * Kara bhoru - She who has thighs like the elephant’s trunk * 149 * Kala nadha mukhya - She who has face like a full moon * 150 * Kacha jitambudha - She who has hair which resembles the dark cloud * 151 * Kadakshyandhi-karuna - She who has a merciful sight (slant sight) * 152 * Kapali-prana-nayiga - She who is the wife of Lord Shiva * 153 * Karunya vigraha - She who is total personification of mercy * 154 * Kantha - She who is the stealer of minds * 155 * Kanthi dhootha japavali - She who has a luster greater than flowers * 156 * Kalalapa - She whose talk is in crescents * 157 * Kambhu kanti - She who has a neck like conch * 158 * Kara nirjitha pallava - She whose hands softer than tender leaf buds * 159 * Kalpa valli sama bhuja - She who has arms as beautiful as the kalpaga creeper * 160 * Kasthuri thilakanchitha - She who wears thilaka with musk (dot in the forehead) * 161 * Hakarartha - "She whose meaning is the alphabet ‘ha’-This alphabet ‘ka’ represents money, valour etc- This is also the ninth letter of the Pancha dasakshari manthra" * 162 * Hamsa gathi - She whose gait is like a swan Or She who is attainable only by realized souls * 163 * Haataka abharnojjwala - She who shines wearing gold ornaments * 164 * Haara Haari kucha bhoga - She who has a breast decorated by ornaments or She whose breasts attract Shiva * 165 * Hakini - She who cuts the bondages * 166 * Halya varjitha - She who keeps away bad thoughts * 167 * Harithpathi samaradhya - She who is being worshipped by those eight gods who guard the different directions(dig balakas) * 168 * Hatahthkara hathasura - She who killed asuras quickly by her valour * 169 * Harsha pradha - She who gives happiness * 170 * Havirbhokthri - She who partakes the offering given to devas in fire * 171 * Hardha santhama sapaha - She who removes darkness from the mind * 172 * Halleesa lasya santhushta - She who is pleased with dance (with two sticks?) of girls * 173 * Hamsa manthrartha roopini - She who understands the inner meaning of hamsa manthra (the manthra relating to breath control) * 174 * Hanopadhana nirmuktha - She who has got beyond wants * 175 * Harshini - She who blesses one with happiness * 176 * Hari sodhari - She who is the sister Lord Vishnu * 177 * Haha Hoohoo Mukha sthutya - She who is being praised by Gandharvas
Page 17 of 25
called Haahaa and Hoohoo * 178 * Hani vriddhi vivarjitha - She who has got beyond growth and death * 179 * Hayyangavina hridhaya - She who has a heart like butter * 180 * Harikoparunam shuka - She who is of red colour * 181 * Lakarakhya - She whose meaning is the alphabet ‘la’-- This is the tenth letter of the Pancha dasakshari manthra * 182 * Latha poojya - She who is being worshipped by chaste women * 183 * Laya sthith udbaveswari - She who is the supreme Goddess now and during the deluge * 184 * Lasya darshana santhushta - She who becomes pleased by seeing women’s dance * 185 * Labha labha vivarjitha - She who is beyond botheration in receipt and loss * 186 * Langye tharagna - She who does not obey others orders or She who gives orders which cannot be disobeyed * 187 * Lavanya shalini - She who is of unmatched beauty and grace * 188 * Laghu siddhita - She who gives supernatural powers easily * 189 * Laksha rasa savarnabha - She who shines in the colour of the juice of sealing wax * 190 * Lakshmanagraja poojitha - She who was worshipped by Lord Rama (elder brother of Lakshmana) * 191 * Labhyethara - She who is different from results of action * 192 * Labdha bhakthi sulabha - She who can be attained by devotion (bhakthi) * 193 * Langalayudha - She who has a plough as a weapon (In her form of Adisesha) * 194 * Lagna-chamara-hastha-sri-saradha-parivijitha - She who is served by Lakshmi and Sarawathi (actually fanned by them using chamara) * 195 * Lajjapada samaradhya - She who is most fit to be worshipped by those who shy of (shun) this world * 196 * Lampata - She who has hidden herself from the earthly principles * 197 * Lakuleshwari - She in whom the communities in the world merge * 198 * Labdha-maana - She who is praised by all * 199 * Labdha -rasa - She who has attained the ultimate happiness * 200 * Labdha sampath samunnadhi - She who has attained (got) the apex of riches * 201 * Hrinkarini - She who is the personification of the letter “Hrim”-This is the eleventh letter of Panchadasakshari mantra * 202 * Hrinkaradhi - She who is the origin of the matharakshara of “Hrim” and “Om”
Page 18 of 25
* 203 * Hrim Madhya - She who is in the midst of Hrim or She who is the reason of existence of the middle life of the earth * 204 * Hrim Shikhamani - She who wears “hrim” in her head * 205 * Hrim kara kundagni shikha - She who is the flame of the fire place (homa kundam) called “hrim” * 206 * Hrim kara sasi chandrika - She who is the nectar like rays of the light of the moon called “hrim” * 207 * Hrimkara Bhaskara ruchi - She who is the hurting and powerful rays of the sun called “hrim” * 208 * Hrimkarambodha chanchala - She who is the ray of lightning of the black clouds called “Hrim” * 209 * Hrimkara kandham kurika - She who is the germinating tendril of the tuber called “Hrim” * 210 * Hrimkaraiga parayana - She who completely relies on “hrim” * 211 * Hrim kara deergiga hamsi - She who is the she swan playing in the canal called “hrim” * 212 * Hrimkarodhyana kekini - She who is the peahen playing in the garden of “hrim” * 213 * Hrimkararanya harini - She who is the doe (female deer) playing in the forest of “hrim” * 214 * Hrimkaravaala Vallari - She who is the ornamental climber in the flower bed of “hrim” * 215 * Hrim kara panchara sukhi - She who is the green parrot in the cage called “hrim” * 216 * Hrimkarangana deepika - She who is the light kept in the courtyard called “hrim” * 217 * Hrimkara kandhara simhi - She who is the lioness living in the cave called “hrim” * 218 * Hrimkarambhoja bringika - She who is the she-insect playing in the lotus flower called “hrim” * 219 * Hrimkara sumano maadhvi - She who is the honey in the flower called “hrim” * 220 * Hrimkara tharu manjari - She who is the flower bunch in the tree called “hrim” * 221 * Sakarakhya - She who is of the form of alphabet “sa”-the twelfth letter of the pancha dasakshari manthra * 222 * Samarasa - She who is uniformly spread all over the universe (like the salt in water) * 223 * Sakalagama samsthitha - She who is being praised by all holy books
Page 19 of 25
* 224 * Sarva vedantha thatparya bhoomi - She who is the place where the ultimate meaning of Vedantha ( the philosophical books of Veda) are found * 225 * Sad asada asraya - She who is the place where the formless and those with form lives * 226 * Sakhala - She who has all the rays (She who is complete) * 227 * Satchidananda - She who is the ultimate true happiness * 228 * Saadhya - She who is reachable * 229 * Sadgathi Dhayini - She who gives salvation * 230 * Sanakathi muni dhyeya - She who is being meditated upon by sages like Sanaka * 231 * Sada shiva Kudumbini - She who is the wife of Sada Shiva * 232 * Sakaladhishtana roopa - She who is the common point of worship of all different methods of worship * 233 * Sathya roopa - She who is personification of truth * 234 * Samaa krithi - She who treats everybody equally * 235 * Sarva prapancha nirmathri - She who has made all the universe * 236 * Samanadhika varjitha - She who is incomparable * 237 * Sarvothunga - She who is the greatest among all * 238 * Sanga hina - She who does not have attachments * 239 * Saguna - She who has all the good qualities * 240 * Sakaleshtada - She who gives all that is desired * 241 * Kakarini - She who sounds like the alphabet “ka”- -it is also the thirteenth letter of the panchadasakshari manthra * 242 * Kavya lola - She who is mentioned in epics in the form of supreme happiness * 243 * Kameshwara manohara - She who steals the mind of The god of Kama (The god of love )-i.e. Shiva * 244 * Kameswara prana nadi - She who is the ultimate indicator of the soul of The god of Kama(the god of love) * 245 * Kamesoth sanga vasini - She who sits on the left lap of The god of Kama(the god of love) * 246 * Kameshawara alingathangi - She who is being embraced by the god of Kama(the god of love) * 247 * Kameshwara sukha pradha - She who gives pleasure to The god of Kama(the god of love) * 248 * Kameshwara pranayini - She who is the sweet heart of The god of Kama(the god of love) * 249 * Kameshwara vilasini - She who makes devotees understand The god of Kama(the god of love)
Page 20 of 25
* 250 * Kameshwara thapa siddhi - She who is the result of penance done by The god of Kama(the god of love) * 251 * Kameshwara mana priya - She who is most dear to the mind of The god of Kama(the god of love) * 252 * Kameshwara prana nadha - She who is the ruler of the mind of The god of Kama(the god of love) * 253 * Kameshwara vimohini - She who steals the mind of the god of Kama(the god of love) * 254 * Kameshwara brahma vidhya - She who is the ultimate science of reaching the truth as made known by the god of Kama(the god of love) * 255 * Kameshwara graheswari - She who is the lord of the house of The god of Kama(The god of love) i.e. the goddess of the entire universe * 256 * Kameshwara ahladhakaree - She who makes The god of Kama (the god of love) supremely happy * 257 * Kameshwara maheswari - She who is the supreme goddess of the god of Kama(the god of love) * 258 * Kameshwari - She who is being worshipped by the god of love(Kama) * 259 * Kama koti nilaya - She who presides over the Kama koti peeta in Kanchipuram (literally seat of billions of love) * 260 * Kamakshitharthada - She who fulfills the desires of devotees * 261 * Lakarini - She who sounds like the alphabet “la”- -it is also the fourteenth letter of the panchadasakshari manthra * 262 * Labdha roopa - She who has taken the form to fulfill the desires of devotees * 263 * Labhdha di - She who can be got known by wisdom * 264 * Labhdha vanchitha - She who fulfills all that one wants * 265 * Labhdha papa mano dhoora - She who is far away from the reach of sinners * 266 * Labhdha ahankara dhurghama - She whom the egoists will find difficult to reach * 267 * Labhdha shakthi - She who gets all powers by her will * 268 * Labhdha deha - She who gets a body if she wills * 269 * Labdha iswarya samunnathi - She who can get all the wealth by her will * 270 * Labhdha vriddhi - She who has reached the infinite * 271 * Labhdha leela - She who can become playful by her will * 272 * Labhdha yowana shalini - She who is ever young by her will * 273 * Labhdahika sarvanga soundarya - She who is the supreme beauty by her will * 274 * Labhdha vibrama - She who enacts the play of maintaining the world
Page 21 of 25
* 275 * Labhdha raga - She who has desires * 276 * Labhdha pathi - She who has Shiva as her husband * 277 * Labhdha nanagama sthithi - She who leads to existence of scriptures * 278 * Labhdha bhoga - She who enjoys fulfillment of her will * 279 * Labhdha sukha - She who enjoys comforts * 280 * Labhdha harshabhi pooritha - She who gets fulfilled by the supreme happiness that she desires * 281 * Hrimkara moorthi - She who is the personification of the sound “hrim”the fifteenth and last letter of the panchadasakshari manthra * 282 * Hrim kara soudha shringa kaphodhiga - She who is the dove who lives in the top of the palace called “hrim” * 283 * Hrim kara dughabdhi sudha - She who is the butter (nectar) churned from the ocean of milk called “hrim” * 284 * Hrimkara kamalendhira - She who is Goddess Lakshmi sitting on the lotus called “hrim” * 285 * Hrimkara mani deeparchi - She who is the light of the ornamental lamp called “hrim” * 286 * Hrimkara tharu sharika - She who is the lady bird sitting on the tree called “hrim” * 287 * Hrimkara petaka mani - She who is the pearl locked in the box called “hrim” * 288 * Hrimkaradarsha bimbhidha - She who is the image reflected in the mirror called “hrim” * 289 * Hrinkara kosasilatha - She who is the shining sword in the packet called “hrim” * 290 * Hrimkara sthana narthaki - She who is the dancer in the stage called “hrim” * 291 * Hrimkara shukthika mukthamani - She who is the pearl found in the oyster shell called “hrim” * 292 * Hrimkara bodhitha - She who is being taught by the sound “hrim” * 293 * Hrimkaramaya sowarna stambha vidhruma puthrika - She who is the coral statue on the shining pillars called “hrim” * 294 * Hrimkara vedhoupanishad - She who is the upanishad placed in the top of Veda called “hrim” * 295 * Hrimkara dwara dakshina - She who is the money gifted in the gate called “hrim” * 296 * Hrimkara nandhanarama nava kalpaga vallari - She who is the new divine climber present in the garden called “hrim” * 297 * Hrimkara himavath ganga - She who is the river Ganga in the himalaya
Page 22 of 25
mountain called “hrim” * 298 * Hrimkararnava kousthubha - She who is the precious gem given birth by the ocean called “hrim” * 299 * Hrimkara manthra sarwaswa - She who is the total wealth churned out of the manthra “hrim” * 300 * Hrimkarapara sowkhyadha - She who gives all pleasures to those who chant “hrim” Phala Sruthi Ka- aa-ee-la-hrim Ha –sa-ka-ha-la-hrim Sa-ka-la-hrim After teaching him the Lalitha Trishathi stotra sage Hayagreeva told Agasthya that out of the 15 letters of Panchadasakshari Manthra (see above) the letters Ka (thrice repeated) and Ha (twice repeated ) are the letters indicating Shiva, Hrim (thrice repeated) is a letter indicating Shiva and Shakthi as well as the Trimurthis and the rest of the seven letters are the letters indicating Shakthi. Then Hayagreeva explains to Agasthya the formation of Srichakra. He also tells him that:1.Just by one repetition of the Lalitha Trishathi stotra , the mind becomes full of contentment and peace. 2.All that can be attained by Thantra can be attained by chanting of this great stotra 3.Without any desire ,if a devotee chants these, the Goddess would judge what he wants and give him all those. 4.People without devotion and honesty should never chant this because then negative effects will result.
Page 23 of 25
Click to hear the profound statement by ShivYogi
Caturbhih s’ri-kanthaih s’iva-yuvatibhih panchabhir api Prabhinnaabhih s’ambhor navabhir api muula-prakritibhih; Catus’-catvaarims’ad vasu-dala-kalaas’ra-tri-valayaTri-rekhaabhih saardham tava s’arana-konaah parinataah 11
From the Soundarya Lahari
Page 24 of 25
The making of thr S’ri-Cakra, which is the most noted diagrammatical representation of the Devi in her transcendence and also in Her Cosmic manifestation, and which is meditated upon in the centre of the thousandpetalled lotus in the head and also worshipped externally inscribed on a Bhurja-patra (parchment) or metal, is described in this verse: The four S’ri-Kanthas (Siva-cakras) and the five S’iva-yuvatis (S’akticakras) are the nine Muula-prakrtis or basic manifestations, and these are apart from S’ambhu (the Bindu or small circle in the centre). Then there are two lotuses, one of eight petals and another of sixteen, besides three surrounding circles and three lines. This forms Thy mansion with forty-four Konas (triangles)
Page 25 of 25
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.