This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
A dc chopper converts directly from dc to dc. A. True.(Your Answer) B. False.
A chopper can be used to step up a dc voltage. A. True.(Your Answer) B. False.
Which of the following finds application in speed control of a dc motor? A. FET B. NPN transistor. C. SCR.(Your Answer) D. none of the above.
A silicon controlled rectifier (SCR) is a A. unijunction device. B. device with 3 junctions.(Your Answer) C. device with 4 junctions. D. none of the above.
A triac is a A. 2 terminal switch. B. 2 terminal bilateral switch. C. 3 terminal unilateral switch. D. 3 terminal bidirectional switch.(Your Answer)
6. A TRIAC can be considered as two SCRS connected in antiparallel with a gate connection.
7. Thyristor is a ___ layered semiconductor device.
2 3 4
8. An inverter converts
dc to ac ac to dc ac to ac
9. A SCR is a ___ dimensional switch.
1 2 3
10. A TRIAC
conducts when triggered in one direction conducts when triggered in both direction conducts when not triggered
11. UJT is commonly used for generating triggering signals for SCR's.
12. A ___ is a bidirectional device.
TRIAC DIODE FET
Electric motor Brushless DC electric motor AC motor .g in a ________transmission system).13. High-voltage direct current Super grid Grid energy storage Smart grid 17. The power range of these converters is from some milliwatts (as in a mobile phone) to hundreds of megawatts (e. In industry the most common application is the variable speed drive (VSD) that is used to control an ________. Cyclo conveters are used to convert dc to ac dc to dc ac to ac 14. The ac component of current present on a dc supply. The value of current flowing through a semi-conductor switch below which it will return to its off state is called Leakage current Latching current Holding current 15. which has not been removed by filtering is Holding current Ripple current latching current 16.
The power range of VSDs start from a few hundred watts and end at tens of ________. In power distribution networks AC/AC converters may be used to exchange power between ________ 50 Hz and 60 Hz power grids. Semiconductor device Diode Electronic component Vacuum tube 20. The power range is typically from tens of________ to several hundred watts.thyristors and transistors. Transformer Railway electrification system Utility frequency Electric power transmission 19. . Becquerel Joule Volt Watt 21. In modern systems the conversion is performed with semiconductor switching devices such as ________.Induction motor 18.
television. The first very high power electronic devices were________.1 volt per centimeter of arc length (B) 1 volt per centimeter of arc length (C) 10 volts per centimeter of arc length (D) 12 to 15 volts per centimeter of arc length. Diode High-voltage direct current Vacuum tube Rectifier 23.. Mercury arc valve Transformer Rectifier Vacuum tube 24. Which of the following equipment needs direct current? (A) Relays (B) Telephones (C) Time switches (D) All of the above 26. AC/DC converters (________) are used every time an electronic device is connected to the mains (computer.). In mercury arc rectifiers the voltage drop in arc is nearly (A) 0. Which of the following devices cannot convey from dc to ac ? (A) Motor generator (B) Motor converter (C) Mercury arc rectifier .Joule Becquerel Volt Watt 22. 25...
when power factor is unity.5.0 (C) 0. The voltage will be (A) 230 V (B) 250 V (C)275 V (D) 325 V 32. The dc current will be approximately (A) 2. the number of slip rings will be (A) 3 (B) 6 . A 100 kW motor generator set has induction motor of six poles and dc generator of eight poles.5 A (B) 3 A (C) 3.8 rpm. 29. Questions 31 to 33 are based on the following data: A 1 kW single phase rotary converter operates at full load from 230 volts ac source.707 (D) 0.6 rpm (C) 536. 30. The ac input current at slip rings will be (A) 6. 35. If the supply frequency is 50 Hz.8 A (C)4. If a synchronous converter is supplied with 12 phase ac supply.3 rpm (B) 428.4 (B) 1. the ac line to dc current ratio will be (A) 1. In large motor generator sets ac motor is usually (A) induction motor squirrel cage type (B) synchronous motor (C) induction motor wound rotor type (D) any of the above. 28. the ac line to dc current ratio is (A) 1.0 (D) 0.8 A. For 3 phase rotary converters.(D) All of the above. when the power factor is unity. The number of slip rings in a single phase synchronous converter will be (A) 1 (B) 2 (C) 3 (D) None.1 (C) 1. 27.1A (D) 3.25 A (D) 3. the speed of the set will be (A) 214.3 A (B) 5.5 (B) 1. 31. For single phase rotary converters. Assume 100% efficiency and unity power factor.4 rpm (D) 624. 34. 33.75 A.942.
42. A rotary converter can be started (A) from dc side as dc motor (B) from ac side as induction motor (C) by means of a small auxiliary motor (D) any of the above methods. the armature phase voltage) to the commutator voltage Ed for 3 phase "supply on ac side is (A) 1. In a synchronous converter.6 (D) 0.16. In a rotary converter (A) armature currents are dc only (B) armature currents are ac only (C) partly ac and partly dc.0 (B) 0. the no-load ratio of the voltage Eabetween successive slip-rings (i. the l R losses are less as compared to dc generator of the same size because (A) dc currents are negligible (B) ac components neutralize the dc (C) cyclic fluctuations have low frequency (D) operating speed is low. In a mercury arc rectifier positive ions are attracted towards (A) mercury pool (B) shell bottom (C) cathode (D) anode. ac and dc armature powers will be equal when (A) electrical losses are negligible (B) mechanical losses are negligible (C) electrical and mechanical losses are negligible (D) electrical and mechanical losses are negligible and power factor is unity 38. the power of motor must be (A) more than the dc output of converter (B) more than ac input of converter (C) half of dc output of converter (D) slightly more than the value of friction and windage losses at rated speed. 37. In a synchronous converter. 2 40. 44. 45. 41. (D) All of the above. 43. 36. Maximum current rating of a glass bulb mercury arc rectifier is usually restricted to (A) 50 A (B) 100 A (C) 500 A (D) 1000 A. 2 39. Which of the following rectifiers can withstand maximum voltage on dc side (A) Mercury arc rectifier . In a rotary converter l R? losses as compared to a dc generator of the same size will be (A) four times more (B) double (C) same (D) less. When a rotor converter is started by means of a small auxiliary motor.(C) 12 (D) 24.7 (C) 0. In a synchronous converter.e.
000 hours. Least undulating current will be delivered by which mercury arc rectifier (A) 1-phase (B) 2 phase (C) 3 phase (D) 6 phase. 48. The average life of the glass bulb rectifier is (A) 100 to 150 hours (B) 1000 to 1500 hours (C) 10. 50. 46. For mercury arc rectifiers. In mercury arc rectifier.2 V7 volts. The vacuum inside the glass bulb of a mercury arc rectifier is of the order of -3 (A) 5 x 10 cm of Hg -4 (B) 5 x 10 cm of Hg -5 (C) 5 x 10 cm of Hg -8 (D) 5 x 10 cm of Hg. 52. In arc rectifiers mercury is chosen as the liquid for rectifier because (A) it has low specific heat (B) it has low ionization potential (C) it has high atomic weight (D) all of the above.000 to 15. In an arc rectifier the drop in voltage at the cathode is approximately (A) 1 volt (B) 6 to 7 volts (C) 60 to 70 volts (D) 1. the anode is usually made of (A) Aluminium (B) Copper (C) Tungsten (D) Graphite. Ionization potential of mercury is approximately (A) 1 V (B) 2 V (C) 10. Essential requirement of the anode material in mercury arc rectifier is that (A) it should not be wetted by mercury (B) it should be light (C) it should be cheap . 55. 47. voltage drop at anode is due to (A) energy spent in overcoming the electrostatic field (B) high temperature inside the rectifier (C) self-restoring property of mercury (D) high ionization potential. 51.000 hours (D) 100.000 to 150. 54.(B) Glass bulb rectifier (C) Steel tank rectifier (D) None of the above.4 V (D) 104 V. 53. 49. In a mercury arc rectifier the cathode voltage drop is due to (A) surface resistance (B) expenditure of energy in liberating electrons from the mercury (C) expenditure of energy in ionization (D) expenditure of energy in overcoming the electrostatic field.
61. The voltage drop in arc primarily depends on (A) arc length (B) arc temperature (C) purity of mercury (D) all of the above. the variation of internal efficiency is represented by (A) Curve A (B) Curve B (C) Curve C (D) Curve D. As compared to mercury arc rectifiers. The advantage of mercury arc rectifier is (A) it is noiseless in operation (B) it responds quickly to varying load demands (C) it has high efficiency (D) all of the above. 63. Which of the following is the loss within the mercury arc rectifier chamber ? (A) Voltage drop at the anode (B) Voltage drop at the cathode (C) Voltage drop in arc (D) All of the above. 56.(D) it should be black in color. metal rectifiers (A) can operate on high loads (B) can operate on high voltages (C) operate on low temperatures (D) give poor regulation. 57. The current carried by the cathode spot of the mercury arc rectifier is of the order of (A) 40 A/sq-cm (B) 400 A/sq-cm (C) 4000 A/sq-cm (D) 40. 62.1 to 0. The voltage drop at the cathode is of the order of (A) 0. 58. 0 60. .000 A/sq-cm. 59.5 V (B) I lo 1. As the output voltage of a single anode mercury arc rectifier increases. The voltage drop across the electrodes of a mercury pool rectifier (A) varies exponentially with the load current (B) is almost independent of load current (C) is directly proportional to load (D) is inversely proportional to load. A 3 anode mercury arc rectifier has an anode current of overlap 30 . the regulation will be approximately (A) 1% (B) 2% (C) 7% (D) 17%. Neglecting arc drop.5 V (C) 7 to 9 V (D) 70 to 90 V. 64.
In a mercury arc rectifier characteristic blue luminosity is due to (A) high temperature (B) electron streams (C) ionization (D) color of mercury. In a mercury arc rectifier which of the following flows from anode to cathode ? (A) Electrons (B) Ions (C) Both electrons and ions (D) Electrons. For producing cathode spot in a mercury arc rectifier (A) An auxiliary electrode is used (B) Tube is evacuated (C) Low mercury vapor pressures are used (D) Anode is heated. mercury is used as (A) conducting medium (B) ionization medium (C) electron accelerator (D) a cathode. 67. Questions 73 to 75 refer to data given below: A mercury arc rectifier has two anodes A and B as shown in figure. 69. The internal efficiency of a mercury arc rectifier depends on (A) load current only (B) voltage only (C) current and voltage (D) rms value of current. . ions and current. mercury is used as cathode because (A) mercury is liquid metal (B) mercury readily vaporizes (C) mercury vapor is easily ionized (D) all of above. In a mercury arc rectifier if cathode and anode connections are interchanged (A) internal losses will be reduced (B) both ion and electron streams will move in the same direction (C) the rectifier will operate at reduced efficiency (D) the rectifier will not operate. 70.65. 68. 73. In a mercury arc rectifier. Anode A has potential difference of 500 V to earth and anode B a potential difference of 490 V both positive to the cathode. 66. 71. In mercury arc rectifier. 72. If anode A is conducting the arc voltage drop will be (A) 500 V (B) 480 V (C) 280 V (D) 20 V. In a mercury arc rectifier (A) ion stream moves from cathode to anode (B) current flows from cathode to anode (C) electron stream moves from anode to cathode (D) ion stream moves from anode to cathode.
76. The mean value of half wave rectified sine wave is (A) 0.5 im . 81. 3 phase 50 Hz Supply.5 im (D) 0.318 im. The rms value of half wave-rectified sine wave with im as peak value is (A) 0. If the voltage of anode B is raised to 510 V (A) Anode B will conduct but anode A will not conduct (B) Anode B will conduct but anode A will also continue to conduct (C) Anode B will not conduct and anode A will continue to conduct (D) Both anodes will not conduct. This rectifier with inter phase transformer will have rms value of anode current as (A) 66 A (B) 42. 82.5 A (C) 41A (D) 22 A. A set of resonant shunts is connected across the output terminals of a multi-anode mercury rectifier to (A) reduce the effect of harmonics (B) reduce the noise level (C) improve the power factor of supply (D) reduce internal losses. 77. 79. 78.66 im (C) 0.74. When anode A is conducting (A) Anode B will conduct less efficiently (B) Anode B will conduct more efficiently (C) Conduction between anodes A and B will also start (D) Anode B will not conduct. A 6 anode mercury arc rectifier without inter-phase transformer has rims value of anode current as 41 A.707 im (B) 0. 75. Each anode will conduct for (A) 50 seconds (B) 1/50 seconds (C) 1/3 of the period (D) 1/6 of the period. Which of the following mercury arc rectifiers will have the highest supply line power factor ? (A) 3 anode rectifier (B) 6 anode rectifier (C) 100 Hz (D) 200 Hz. In mercury arc rectifiers.66 im (C) 0.707 im (B) 0. 80. A three anode mercury rectifier is connected to 440 V. 83. mercury is selected as cathode because (A) its ionization potential is low (B) it has low specific heat (C) it has small latent heat of vaporization (D) all of the above. Ripple frequency of full wave rectifier working on 50 Hz supply will be (A) 25 Hz (B) 50 Hz (C) 6 anode rectifier with inter phase transformer (D) All wili have identical power factor.
The ripple factor of a full-wave rectifier circuit compared to that of a half wave rectifier circuit without filter is (A) half of that for a half 'wave rectifier (B) less than half that for a half-wave rectifier circuit (C) equal to that of a half wave rectifier.11 (C) 1.5 im (D) 0. 90.70 im (B) 0. rms value is (A) 0. 50 Hz ac line.707 im (B) 0. For full-wave rectified sine wave.0 (B) 1. The output voltage across the capacitor should be approximately (A) 300 volts (B) 280 volts (C) 180 volts (D) 80 volts. . mean value is (A) 0.(D) 0. 91. A half-wave rectifier circuit with a capacitive filter is connected to a 200 volts. (D) none of the above. 87. 88. A thyristor equivalent of a thyratron tube is a (A) Silicon controlled rectifier (SCR) (B)Triac (C) Diac (D) None of the above. The form factor for half wave rectified sine wave is (A) 1.636 im (C) 0.5 (B) 1. A silicon controlled rectifier is a (A) Unijunction device (B) Device with three junction (C) Device with four junctions (D) None of the above. 89.57.318 im. For full-wave rectified sine wave.5 im (D) 0.41 (C) 1. 84. For full-wave rectified sine wave. A thyratron is a (A) vacuum tube with four electrodes (B) gas-filled diode (C) gas-filled triode (D) none of the above. 86.318 lm.44 (D) 1.318 im . 92.6036 im (C)0.11. form factor is (A) 1.28 (D) 1. 85.
The most commonly used connection for joining the six secondaries of a transformer used for 3 phase to 6 phase conversion is (A) Diametrical (B) Zig-Zag (C) Double delta . For a waveform more peaky than a sine wave.11 (C) 1. The aim of introducing reactor in the ignition circuit of mercury arc rectifier is to limit (A) the current in the circuit (B) wave ripple (C) voltage of the circuit (D) the rate of change of flux. 94. Which of the following is known as metal rectifier (A) Selenium disc rectifier (B) Copper oxide rectifier (C) Gas tube diode (D) All of the above. 101.11 (B) less than 1. Peak inverse voltage for a diode is the (A) voltage corresponding to rated maximum voltage (B) maximum voltage that can be applied across the diode in the conducting direction (C) maximum voltage that can be applied across the diode in the non-conducting direction (D) none of the above.11 (D) 1.14 A (C) (20/π) A (D) 20 A. the form factor will be (A) more than 1. ripple frequency in full wave rectifier is (A) 25 (B) 50 (C)100 (D) 200. 99. it is likely to result in (A) More distortion on output side (B) Poor regulation (C) Conduction in both direction (D) Breakdown at the junction. 97. 98. The RMS value of a half wave rectifier current is 10 A. A mercury vapor discharge tube used for domestic lighting (A) does not have a filament (B) has one filament (C) has two filaments (D) has two main and one auxiliary filament. 95.93. Its value for full wave rectification would be (A) 10 A (B) 14. For single phase supply frequency of 50 Hz. PIV of a diode is usually (A) Half the dc voltage (B) Same as dc voltage (C) Twice the dc output voltage (D) Hundred times the dc output voltage. 100. When voltage applied to a diode is more than PIV. 96. 102.
25.C ----.105.D ----.39.45.90.D -----9.16. 105.C -----46.C ----. The ac line current at slipping in a 6 phase.84.7.D ----.A ----..D ----.82.C 53.D -----35.52.72.B -----31.C ----.89.D 68.B ----65.102.D 38..4. The advantage of motor generator set is (A) dc output voltage is practically constants (B) dc output can be controlled by adjusting shunt field regulator (C) unit is self-starting (D) all of the above.29.A ----. 103.A ----. A resistor b. 107.414 (C)0.57.D ----.C ----.D ----. 6 ring rotary converter having 100% efficiency and unity power factor is.70.71.A ----. Answeres from 1 to 107 1.B -----126.96.36.199.B -----33.D -----12.D ----.59.C -----62.C ----.B ----.28.C ----.74.D ----.B ----.D ----.A ----.C ----.18.88.A ----.27.40.C ----.B ----.B ----..C ----.B ----.87.5.D ----.44.21. A mercury arc rectifier works on the principle of (A) ionization by collision (B) directional movement of electrons (C) release of electrons by thermal excitation (D) none of the above.49.56.D -----106.A -----96.43.D 15.42.B ----.D -----32..6.A ----..C -----13.86.85.C ----95.B ----.B ----.55.76.75.C ----..37.B -----47.D -----48.B -----51.B ----.67.3.A 98. A rotary converter (A) Combines the functions of an induction motor and dc generator (B) has a set of slip rings at both ends (C) has an armature and two fields (D) is a synchronous motor and a dc generator combined. A thyristor can be used as a.101.64.B ----.73.54.C ----.100.C ----.D ----80..D ----.22.B ----. An amplifier .C ----.C 83.66.79.(D) Double star.A -----63. A rectifier is a (A) Bilateral device (B) Linear device (C) Non-linear device (D) Passive device.B ----.D -----61.91.D ----.A ----.C ----.97.D ----.58..A ----.20.D ----50.C ----.A -----78.99.30.D ----.D ----..C ----..A -----107.D -----81.17.236 (B) 1.19.A -----92.C ----.41.B ----.D ----.943.C -----23.C ----.C ----36.C ----.C ----.D ----.C ----.D ----.60. 24.94.A ----. times the dc current (A) 0.D ----.C ----.D ----. 104.472 (D) 0.69.C 1.C ----14.C ----.B -----10.D ----.103.B -----93. 106.D ----.B ----.104.D ----.26.77.
Reverse-bias triggering b. To turn on a four-layer diode. Holding current . Trigger current 6. A switch 2. Breakover d. Positive feedback means the returning signal a. you need a. Low-current drop out c. Breakover current d. A positive trigger b. Positive feedback d. The only way to stop a four-layer diode that is conducting is by a. Aids the original change c. The minimum anode current that keeps a thyristor turned on is called the a.c. Low-current drop out 7. Opposes the original change b. Positive feedback 4. Low-current drop out b. Aids the original change 3. A power source c. Holding current b. Trigger current c. Is amplified b. Reverse-bias triggering c. Feedback c. A switch d. A positive trigger b. A latch always uses a. Current d. Breakover d. low-current drop out c. Is equivalent to negative feedback d. Breakover 5. The minimum input current that can turn on a thyristor is called the a. Transistors b.
Three doped regions b. SCRs are a. Crowbar b. Holding current b. The usual way to protect a load from excessive supply voltage is with a a. A gate trigger 10. High-current devices 11. An RC snubber protects an SCR against a. Holding current 8. Breakover d. Three external leads c. Breakover current d.b. Four-layer diodes c. A SCR is usually turned on by a. Low-power devices b. Two external leads b. Zener diode c. A gate trigger c. Bidirectional c. Four-layer diode d. Crowbarring b. False triggering . Low-current drop out a. Four external leads d. A silicon controlled rectifier has a. False triggering c. Crowbar 12. Thyristor a. Three external leads 9. High-current devices d. Supply overvoltages b. Trigger current c. Breakover b. Breakdown d.
the supply needs to have a fuse or a. Triac d. Two diacs in parallel c. Transistor b. Light 16. Current limiting 14.13. The diac is a a. Four-layer diode b. Light 15. Three-layer device d. Current limiting d. Breakover . Two SCRs in parallel d 17. The triac is equivalent to a. When a crowbar is used with a power supply. A four-layer diode b. Light d. Diac c. A thyristor with a gate lead d. Unidirectional device c. Latch d 18. Bidirectional device d. The unijunction transistor acts as a a. Humidity d. Voltage c. The photo-SCR responds to a. Adequate trigger current b. Filtering d. Holding current c. Current b. Any thyristor can be turned on with a.
Low-current dropout d. Breakover b. Excessive power dissipation b. diac d. triac a 20. Diac c. The trigger voltage of an SCR is closest to a. A Shockley diode is the same as a a.b. False triggering c. Low-current drop out d. 4 V d. Reverse-bias triggering b 23. 0. SCR c. Exceeding the critical rate of rise produces a. pnpn diode d. A four-layer diode is sometimes called a a. Switch c 24. 0 b. Breakover voltage b 21. Forward-bias triggering c. Any thyristor can be turned off with a. four-layer diode b. Unijunction transistor b. Reverse-bias triggering a 19. Forward-bias triggering c.7 V c. Low-current drop out d. A latch is based on . Reverse-bias triggering c 22.
The efficiency of an electronic amplifier is important primarily because this determines the amount of waist heat produced within the amplifier.a. The four-layer diode d. True False What class of amplifier is shown here? . Harmonic distortion. SCR action b 24. Positive feedback c. What is the dominant form of distortion produced by the simple push-pull amplifier shown here? Clipping. Crossover distortion. Negative feedback b.
the active devices are switches and are either completely ON or completely OFF. Class C. Class B.Class A. True False The symbol for which component is shown here? . Class AB. In Class C amplifiers.
A thyristor. In the simple lamp dimmer shown here. what method of power control is being used? . when will it to turn off? When the applied voltage changes polarity. A triac. A power diode. When a gate pulse of the opposite polarity is applied.A diac. When the current through the device falls below the holding current. After a fixed period of time determined by circuit components. When a thyristor has been fired by an appropriate gate pulse.
Determine the output voltage of the following regulator (assuming that the input voltage is sufficiently high to allow normal operation).Burst firing. 12 V. . 16 V. 15 V. Proportional control. 11 V. Phase control. Feedback control.
The output voltage of a switching regulator is controlled by altering the switching frequency. A power supply that makes use of a switching regulator is referred to as a switch-mode power supply. Switching regulators use switching speeds of 20 kHz or more. True False . Both bipolar transistors and FETs have very good switching characteristics.Which of the following statements is incorrect? A great advantage of switching regulators is that their power consumption is very low.