This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
NOTE: For the required number of copies to file, please refer to the INSTRUCTION SHEET that corresponds to the specific vacancyfor which you are applying.
Associate Supreme Court Justice (designate vacancy for which application is being made)
The information you provide in questions 1 - 34 is public information and will be released upon request if the applicant's name is forwarded to the Governor for consideration of appointment.
A. PERSONAL INFORMATION
1. Full Name: Brian Dale Boatright 2. 3. Birth year: 1962 Are you a United States citizen? Yes
4. Attorney Registration Number: 17731
5. Work Address: 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO 80031
6. Telephone (w): 303-271-6433
7. List your place of residence for the past five years.
April 2000 - Present
8. List the names and locations of schools attended, beginning with high school.
Jefferson High School Westminster College University of Colorado University of Denver
Edgewater, CO Fulton, MO Boulder, CO Denver, CO
August 1977 - May 1980 September 1980 - May 1984 JanuaI)' 1981 - MaX 1981 September 1985 - June 1988
Diploma B.A. Transfer J.D.
List scholarships, awards, honors, and citations you received during college and law school. College: Who's Who in American College & Universities Phi Kappa Psi Outstanding Junior Scholarship Westminster College Achievement Scholarship Westminster College Athletic Scholarship Dean's List Skulls of Seven, Senior Honorary Society Student Government Association: President, Treasurer Varsity Tennis Letterman (3 years) and Co-Caption Sigme Chi, National Social Fraternity, Secretary, Scholarship Chairman, Intramural Director "The Columns", collge newspaper, Columist Law School: Teaching Assistant to Professor Burton F. Brody Summer Preparatory Program, 1986 - Teaching Assistant Contracts Tutor for first year law students, 1986-87 Resident Advisor, Undergraduate dormatory, 1986
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
Give the same
10. List all courts in which you have been admitted to practice, with dates of admission. information for administrative bodies which require special admission to practice.
State of Colorado
Date October 1988
11. Indicate your present employment (list professional partners or associates, if any, and include dates). If you currently practice law, describe the nature of your present law practice, listing the major types oflaw you practice and the percentage each constitutes of your total practice. District Court Judge, First Judicial District, Jefferson County, Colorado. As a District Court Judge in Jefferson County, I have jurisdiction over criminal, civil, juvenile, probate, domestic and mental health matters. In my twelve years on the District Court bench, I have been responsible for all areas of the law. Since 2006, I have been assigned to all the juvenile matter in Jefferson County. Currently my docket assignment has been 80% juvenile with the remaining 20% split evenly between criminal, civil, probate and mental health.
12. If you have a subspecialty in any major types of law listed in number 11, what is your subspecialty? I am currently responsible for all juvenile matters, to include dependency and neglect and juvenile delinquency, in this district; however, I still preside over matters in criminal, civil, probate, mental health and domestic. With my current assignment, I handle juvenile matters 80% of the time with the remaining 20% split evenly between criminal, civil, probate, and mental health cases.
13. List other areas of law in which you have practiced.
I was in private practice for one year where I practiced civil litigation and domestic law. I was a Deputy District Attorney from 1990-1999, which was exclusively criminal prosecution. Since my appointment to the District Court bench in July 1999, I have presided over criminal, civil, probate, juvenile, juvenile delinquencies, mental health, and domestic. I had a full criminal and civil docket for 7 years; I handled 112of all probate and mental health cases for 5 years; and I have presided over the juvenile matters, both dependency and neglect and delinquency matters, for over 10 years.
14. Have you practiced in the appellate courts of Colorado within the past five years? If so, please state
the number and the types of matters handled. No.
15. Have you practiced in the trial courts of Colorado within the past five years? If so, please state what percentage of your total practice your trial practice constituted and the types of matters handled. Yes. My practice is 95% trial practive and 5% county court appeals and reviews of orders entered by the Magistrates. Over the past 5 years, my trial practice has been 60% juvenile, 20% criminal, 10% probate/mental health, and 10% civil.
16. List five litigated cases in which you participated as a judge or lawyer in the past five years, the names of the judges presiding, and the names of counsel. Please list current telephone (including area code) for each person identified.
1. Case NameINumber:
People of the State of Colorado vs. Darlene Spears (04CR733) Phone: (303)271-6434
Presiding Judge.Brian D. Boatright
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for opposing counsel: DDA: Judge Anne Stavig Mike Freeman Lakewood Municipal Court Jefferson County District Attorney's Office 445 South Allison Parkway 500 Jefferson County Parkway Lakewood, CO 80226 Golden, CO 8040 I (303)987-7401 (303)271-6800 ADC: John Sullivan ill Law Office of John Sullivan ill 155 S. Madison Street, #209 Denver, CO 80209 (303)748-4343 Elizabeth Kelley The Kelley Law Firm, INC. 595 Canyon Blvd. Boulder, CO 80302 (303)325-3508
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for co-counsel: N/A Briefly describe the case and your involvement:
This was a First Degree Murder case that lasted over a month. It had significant issues when the defendant became very ill during the trial which had to be recessed for six weeks to allow the
defendant to return to health. It has been affirmed on appeal. I was the Presiding Judge.
Case NameINumber: In the Interest ofD.R.N. (07N920) Presiding Judge.Brian D. Boatright Phone: (303)271-6434
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for opposing counsel: ACA: Roy Wallis James Zimmerman Jefferson County Atty's Office Jefferson County District Attorney's Office 100 Jefferson County Parkway #5500 500 Jefferson County Parkway Golden, CO 80401 Golden, CO 80401
GAL: Mary T. Bernuth 1005 Olive Street Denver, CO 80220
Attorney for Respondent Mother:
Graham Peper 899 Logan Street Suite 203 Denver, CO 80203 (303)864-1459
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for co-counsel: N/A Briefly describe the case and your involvement: This was an adjudicatory jury trial. It was about the harmful effects of alcohol abuse and domestic violence on a child. This matter was not appealed. I was the Presiding Judge.
In the Interest ofF.C. and B.L.G. (08NI80) Phone: (303)271-6434
Presiding Judge.Brian D. Boatright
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for opposing counsel: ACA: Jeanne Judge Boulder County Attorney's Office Pearl Street Courthouse, 5th Floor 1325 Pearl Street, Boulder, CO 80306
GAL: Doris Waters
143 Union Blvd. #680 Lakewood, CO 80228 (303)988-9100
Attorney for Respondent Mother:
Graham Peper 899 Logan Street Suite 203 Denver, CO 80203 (303)864-1459
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for co-counsel:
Briefly describe the case and your involvement: This was a termination of parental rights hearing. The parental rights of both parents were terminate due to both parents having substance abuse and mental health issues. It has been affirmed on appeal. I was the Presiding Judge. 4. Case NamelNumber: People in the State of Colorado v. In the Interest ofI.P. (07JD203) Presiding Judge:Brian D. Boatright Phone: (303)271-6434
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for opposing counsel: DDA: Shea Sharp Tracy Schroeder Jefferson County District Attorney Jefferson County District Attorney 500 Jefferson County Parkway 500 Jefferson County Parkway Golden, CO 8040I Golden, CO 80401 (303)271-6800 (303)271-6800 Defense Counsel: Scott Nelson (Ronald Scott Nelson) Law Offices of Scott Nelson 8554 West Colfax Avenue Lakewood, CO 80215 (303)825-2200
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for co-counsel: N/A Briefly describe the case and your involvement: This was a sexual assault trial. The juvenile was adjudicated a deliquent of sexual contact with force and was acquitted of kidnapping. He and several others male juveniles were charged with sexual contact by force on a middle school-age girl. This matter was not appealed. I was Presiding Judge. 5. Case NameINumber: People in the State of Colorado v. Kimberly Valverde (lOCR3547) Presiding Judge:Brian D. Boatright Phone: (303)271-6434
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for opposing counsel: DDA: Katie Kurtz Jefferson County District Attorney 500 Jefferson County Parkway Revised 4/2009 5
Golden, CO 80401 (303)871-6800 Defense Counsel: Margaret Teigen Steele 333 W. Hampden Ave., Suite 710 Englewood, CO 80110 (303)806-8886
List name(s) and telephone number(s) for co-counsel: N/A Briefly describe the case and your involvement: This was a criminal jury trial. The defendant was convicted of Contributing to the Delinquent of a Minor and Child Abuse. The defendant arranged to have two middle school girls fight and one of the girls was injured in the fight. The time period for appeal has not expired. I was the Presiding Judge.
17. Summarize your experience in adversary proceedings before administrative boards or commissions.
18. List any law related lectures, speeches, or other presentations you have given and any such books or
articles you have authored. • • "Juvenile Law Update" - Annual Judical Conference 2011 "Docket Control for Civil Matters" - Advanced Judge Orientation Dean: 2007 - present Lecturer: 2005 - 2011 • Kiwanis Chapter - Arvada, CO; May 2009 • "Drug Court Program Presentation" - First Judicial District Attorney's Office; August 2009 • Rotary Group - 2007 • "Sentencing" - Colorado Bar Association CLE Conference. Denver, CO; February 2007 • "Judicial Perspective of the Juvenile System" - Foster Parents Association ,Jefferson County, CO, February 2006, February 2010 • "The Privilege of Being an Adoptive Parent" - National Adoption Day; November 2005 - 2011 • ''The Role of the Judge" - Advanced Judge Orientation; December, 2005 • "The Role of Plea Bargaining" - ABA, Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI); October 2005 • "Overview of Judiciary System" - Citizen's Academy, Jefferson County, CO; June 2006, April and November 2007, September 2008, April and September 2009 • ''Expectations from the Court and the Role of CAS A" - Jefferson County CASA; 2003 - 2011 • "Character in Leadership" - Youth Leadership, Jefferson County, CO; February 2006 - 2008, October 2006 - 2007, November 2008, October 2009, November 2010 • "Issues for Today's Teen" - Junior Leadership, Golden, CO; February 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 • "The Judge's Function" - Leadership, Jefferson County, CO; October 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 • "The Role of the Judge" - Leadership, Jefferson County, CO; April 2005, May 2006, 2007 • "The Judiciary" - Leadership, Golden, CO; March 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2009,2010 • "Through the Eyes ofa Judge" - CASA; March 2005 • "Judicial Discipline, Contempt Powers" - ABA, CEELI: Belgrade, Serbia; October 2004 • "Delinquency Proceedings" - Stepping up to Juvenile Judging; August 2004
• "Testifying in Child Abuse Cases" - Colorado Child Welfare Conference; July 2004 • "Prosecutorial Ethics" - Colorado Second Judicial District, District Attorney's Office; May 2004 • "Complex Case Development: Environmental Crimes" - Western States Project; April 2004, Apri12003 • "Probate" - Guardianship Alliance of Colorado; October 2003 • "Jury Selection" - Colorado Second Judicial District, District Attorney's Office; May 2001, May 2009 • "The Judicial Function" - Jefferson County Citizen's Academy; May 2001 • "Cross Examination, Case Law" - Trial Techniques School; 1994 - 1999 • "Cross Examination" - Colorado District Attorney's Council, Trial Techniques; 1993 - 1998 • "Law of Custody & Miranda" - Sheriff's Academy; 1996 - 1998 • "Constitutional Law, Fraud & Deceit, Vice & Narcotics" - Commonwealth International University; 1998 • "Jury Selection" - Colorado District Attorneys Council, Annual Conference; 1998 • "Constitutional Law: Role of Prosecutor & Defense" - Red Rocks Community College; 1996, 1997 • "Direct Examination, Jury Selection" - First Judicial District, District Attorney's Office; 1997 • "Law of Search & Seizure" - DEA, Highway Interdiction; 1996
19. List your prior professional or business employment since completion of your formal education
(include dates). Associate Attorney, Boatright and Ripp, 1988 - 1990 Deputy District Attorney, First Judicial District, 1990 - 1999 District Court Judge, First Judicial District, 1999 - Present
20. If you have not been employed continuously since completion of your formal education, describe generally what you were doing (include dates). Not Applicable
AND PUBLIC SERVICE
21. List activities in professional associations, including offices held, committees, awards, honors, and citations (include dates). COLORADO CASA JUDICIAL OFFICER OF THE YEAR - 20 II COLORADO BAR ASSOCIATION - Member FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT BAR ASSOCmON, Member Outstanding Young Lawyer in Judicial District: 1992 CLE Committee: 1996 - 1999 Chairman CLE Committee: 1998 Board of Trustees: 1996 - 2003 Treasurer: 1998 - 1999 President: 2000 - 2001 PLAIN ENGLISH CRIMINAL JURy INSTRUCTION COMMITTEE, 2008 - Present ADVANCED NEW JUDGE TRAINING - Annual training for all new judicial officers Dean: 2007 - Present Lecturer: 2005 - 20 I0 NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JUVENILE AND FAMILY COURT JUDGES - Member Revised 4/2009
MENTOR JUDGE COMMITTEE, 2007 JEFFERSON COUNTY BEST PRACTICES JUVENILE REFORM COMMITTEE, Chair COLORADO COMMISION ON CRIMINAL & JUVENILE JUSTICE - JUDICAL TASK FORCE ClllLD & YOUTH LEADERSlllP COMMISSION - FIRST JUDICIAL DISlRCT, 2007 - Present JUVENILE SERVICES PLANNING COMMITTEE - FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT Member: September 2005 - Present Chair: September 2007 - Present LT. GOVERNOR'S COMMITTEE TO PROMOTE ADOPTIONS Member: 2004 VICTIMS' COMPENSATION AND ASSISTANCE COORDINATING COMMITTEE: VICTIMS RIGHTS' ACT SUBCOMMITTEE - DMSION OF JUSTICE Member: 2001 - 2004 COLORADO DISTRICT ATTORNEY COUNCIL Member: 1990 - 1999 Training Committee: 1997 - 1999 Instructor: Trial Techniques: 1993 - 1999 Jury Selection, County Court Case Law, Cross Examination NATIONAL COLLEGE OF DISTRICT ATTOREYS Career Prosecutor Course - Graduate: June 1994 Career Prosecutor Course - Teaching Assistant: June 1995 NATIONAL ADVOCACY CENTER - SOUTH CAROLINA Faculty: 1RIAL ADVOCACY I - Essentials of Advocacy: May 1998 Faculty: TRIAL ADVOCACY IT- Applied Trial Advocacy; October 1998 Faculty: 1RIAL ADVOCACY IT- Applied Trial Advocacy; February 2003 FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT, DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE Top Gun Award - 1994 Top Gun Award - 1998
22. List your activities in civic and charitable organizations, including offices held, awards, honors, and citations (include dates). Baseball Coach, Arvada Junior Baseball, North Jeffco 2003-2007 St. Joseph's Church: Usher, Eucharistic Minister Advisor to Executive Committee, Five Parks Parent Board 20 I 0, 20 II Volunteer, Five Parks Swim Team, 2005- Present
23. List all public offices to which you were appointed or elected (include dates served). Have you had any military or other public service? If so, please give details. District Court Judge, Appointed: June 16, Retained: November November First Judicial District 1999 2002, 2008
E. REQUIREMENT TO COMPLY WITH JUDICIAL CODE OF CONDUCT
If appointed to the bench, you will be required to comply with the canons contained in the Colorado Code of Judicial Conduct.
24. Are you familiar with the Commission on Judicial Discipline and its function? Yes.
25. Do you understand a judge is required to file reports of compensation for quasi-judicial and extrajudicial activities in conformance with the Code of Judicial Conduct? Yes.
26. Do you understand that a judge must comply with the Public Official Disclosure Law (Section 24-6202, C.R.S.)? Yes.
27. If you are now active in partisan politics, would you cease such activity if you are appointed to judicial office? Not Applicable.
28. Are you now an officer or director of any business organization management of any business enterprise? If so, please give details. No.
or otherwise engaged in the
29. Colorado judges are expected to use computer technology for a wide variety of functions including
word processing, legal research, case management, e-filing and e-mail. Do you personally use a computer for any of the purposes listed above or for similar purposes? If yes, describe the functions you perform and state how frequently you perform each function. If no, state whether you will participate in training to develop and maintain your personal skills in using computer technology.
I use the above mentioned technology/functions trained to be more proficient.
on a daily basis.
I am willing and anxious to be
30. Have you ever been cited for contempt of Court?
If so, please give details.
(..... 31. Describe how you spend your leisure time (including special interests, hobbies, reading preferences, vacation activities). My leisure time is centered around my family. I have coached their teams in the past and volunteer to assist the organizations with whom they currently participate. My wife and I are very active with the swim team on which our children, Ty and Jordyn, swim. In the summer we have family golf night and in the winter we go to the YMCA four times a week together. I try to read books the kids are reading so we can discuss the book, and frequently I read aloud to my son to assist him with school as a strategy to deal with his learning disability. In addition, I like read to books to educate myself on topics from historical accounts to parenting books; currently I am reading the book "Blink". My children and I are very active in our parish. Our vacations are family oriented or short Colorado get-a-ways to spend quality time together. I am also a passionate "local sports teams fun" and enjoy attending those events.
32. List the names of no more than five individuals from whom you are requesting a letter of reference. David Thomas, Esq. R. Brooke Jackson, Federal District Court Judge Felix Cook, Community Activist Peter Weir, Senior Chief Deputy District Attorney, First Judicial District, District Attorney's Office MJ. Menendez, Assistant United States Attorney I have attached all letters of reference to this application.
33. Please attach a statement not to exceed one page in length, double-spaced, discussing: (a) your knowledge of and experience with the court served by the judgeship for which you are applying; and (b) the reasons why you wish to be appointed to this vacancy and the qualities you would bring to the bench if appointed.
34. If you are applying for an appellate judgeship, you MUST submit a sample of your legal writing of not more than twenty (20) pages with this application.
Revised 4/2009 10
Knowled" and Experience In my twelve years as a District Court Judge, I have applied the decisions made by the legislature and the Supreme Court on a daily basis. As a result, the law is not a theoretical concept to me. Every day I look at the faces of the people whose lives are impacted by the decisions made by the application oflaw. I understand the consequences the law has on people and their lives. As a District Court Judge, I have terminated parental rights and returned children to their parents. I have sentenced defendants to prison for the rest of their lives and dismissed improperly charged cases. I have entered judgments for over a million dollars, ordered distribution of a lifetime of accumulated assets, determined parenting time, granted guardianships of adults, and denied relief because the court lacked jurisdiction. All of those decisions have as their foundation the law promulgated by the Legislature and interpreted by the Supreme Court Reasons
My professional life is dedicated to public service. I have a commitment to improving the court system. I strive to instill confidence in the public in our judicial system. I am committed to making sure the law is applied equitably and fairly to everyone. I would thoroughly enjoy taking my experience and applying it to deliberative process utilized in the Supreme Court Qualities I have been responsible for a diversified docket that has included civil, criminal, probate, juvenile delinquency, dependency and neglect, domestic, and mental health. My broad trial court experience would bring insight and perspective to the Supreme Court I would also bring my extensive experience in and passion for juvenile cases. My background in accounting and years of presiding over civil matters provides the requisite experience to handle complex civil litigation. I have the demeanor that encourages professional discourse and collegiality. Personally, I have children that have Significant ethnic diversity and I want to make sure they are judged in their lives
by the "content of their character."
CERTIFICATE OF APPLICANT
I understand the submission of this application expresses my willingness to accept appointment to the judiciary of the State of Colorado, if tendered by the Governor, and further, my willingness to abide by the rules of the Judicial Nominating Commission with respect to my application and the Code of Judicial Conduct, if appointed. I hereby certify that the information given in this application is correct and complete.
Signature of Applicant Brian D. Boatright Print or Type Name
I grant the Commission the right to examine the records of the Attorney Regulation Counsel (formerly maintained by the Supreme Court Grievance Committee) and the records of the Commission on Judicial Discipline. I consent to the release of information by employers, schools, law enforcement agencies, and other authorized personnel to verify the information contained in this application.
Brian D. Boatright Print or Type Name
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.