Barriers to communication
"We want to see the President "the ma n said softly. "We'll wait" the lady replied. "He'll be busy all day "the secretary snapped. dressed in old clothes walked in timidly without an appointment into the Harvard University President's outer office.Self-centered Attitudes
A lady in a faded grey dress and her husband.
. The secretary could tell in a moment that they were poor & had no business at Harvard and probably didn't even deserve to be in Harvard.
"Maybe if you see them for a few minutes.For hours the secretary ignored them. The couple never left and the secretary grew frustrated and finally decided to disturb the president. they'll leave" she said to him. The President. stern faced and with dignity.. hoping that the couple would finally become discouraged and go away.
. walked toward the couple.
The president wasn't touched. My husband and I would like to erect a memorial to him. We thought we would like to give a building to Harvard... somewhere on campus. gruffly.The lady told him "We had a son who attended Harvard for one y ear. He loved Harvard. But about a year ago. "Madam "he said. no."
. If we did." the lady explained quickly” We don't want to erect a statue.He was shocked.. he was accidentally killed. this place would look like a cemetery. " we can't put up a statue for every person who attended Harvard and died. He was happy here." "Oh.
The president rolled his eyes. Maybe he could get rid of them now. "Is that all it costs to start a university ? Why don't we just start our own?"
. The president was pleased. and then exclaimed.."
For a moment the lady was silent. He glanced at the gingham dress and old clothes. "A building! Do you have any earthly idea how much a building costs? We have over seven and a half million dollars in the physical buildings here at Harvard. The lady turned to her husband and said quietly.
Whom do you think the couple were????
traveling to Palo Alto. The president's face wilted in confusion and bewilderment.
. a memorial to a son that Harvard no longer cared about.
Mr. and Mrs. California where they established the University that bears their name: -Stanford University.Her husband nodded. Leland Stanford got up and walked away.
But because of our inner EGO we miss them forever. which can be misleading. we seldom get people with whom we want to share & grow our thought process. Remember In our Life. employees or customers. And in this impression. we tend to treat people badly by thinking they can do nothing for us.Most of the time we judge people by their outer appearance.
. Thus we tend to lose our potential good friends.
desire & perspective • We tend to pay attention to the messages that are useful to us & ignore what is not useful or does not interest us • A self centered person fails o build good relationships • We must understand & be receptive to others feelings or thoughts
. hear. perceive everything as per our own interest.• Tend to see. need.
• • • • Activity Union Leader Gang Board of Directors Group Topic – Salary Hike
• Group influences the type of decisions • Our ideas attitudes are picked up from the group • Ideas that go against the values or thought of a group are rejected • Sometimes it gets difficult for one group to understand the other groups values or ideas.
• Self-Image – is an idea or perception or impression about what we are & what we think we are that is built over the years • It makes it very difficult to give or take a feedback • E.g. Dancers who have a pre-built selfimage find it difficult to improvise when given a feedback on dance moves
• Fail to get the complete message sent to us & we read. hear selectively as per our needs • We project our expectations into the communication as we interpret the message • E. Secretary & the leave
• Defensiveness – getting judgmental & sarcastic • Filtering – Reducing. looking at things in one angle • Poor Communication skills • State of Health
. Hiding or changing information • Status Block – juniors & seniors • Resistance to change – Post office & Computerization • Closed Mind – narrow mindedness & lack of acceptance to new ideas.