614 DIVISION ST. MS-37 • PORT ORCHARD, WASHINGTON 98366 • (360) 337-5698 • FAX 337-4923

For immediate release: KCSO news release #11-065 / 125 / 2 / 19

Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011

Suquamish shooting update
Port Orchard, Wash. -- The follow-up investigation into an officer involved shooting incident that occurred Dec. 8, in Suquamish, is still on-going by the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office. The shooting resulted in the death of Thomas Anthony Black, age 44, of Suquamish. Clarification needs to be made concerning the shooting as reported to news media at the scene and in KCSO news release #11-063, dated Dec. 9. • Initial information disseminated following the incident indicated that the officers believed that shots were fired at them inside the residence, as they were in the process of attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Stacy Stanley Callihoo, age 42. Sheriff’s detectives processed the scene later that evening. This included a thorough search of the residence. While evidence was collected consistent with the officers’ recollection, no actual firearm was located, nor any evidence that Black had fired a gun at officers as reported previously. Detectives did find a black-colored toy handgun located in close proximity to where Thomas Black was positioned at the time of the shooting.

An additional clarification concerns the location of the 43 year-old woman at the time of the shooting. • When officers arrived at the house the woman answered their knock at the sliding glass door. She stepped out onto the porch and slid the door closed behind her (ostensibly to prevent pet dogs from getting out). She was directed up the driveway towards other officers. When shots were fired, an officer escorted the woman further from the house, out of harm’s way.

The county’s forensic pathologist has completed an autopsy of Thomas Black. The Kitsap County Coroner has issued a determination as to cause and manner of death. The complete coroner’s report is awaiting toxicology results from the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab. Sheriff’s detectives continue their in-depth investigation into this incident to present a complete case file to the county prosecuting attorney for review.