This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
The Segregation of Inputs: Ocular Dominance Columns
Central Projections of Ganglion Cells Ganglion cells exit through the optic disk and bundle to form the optic nerve The optic nerve runs to the optic chiasm at the base of the diencephalon where 60 percent of the fibers cross the chiasm (contralateral) and the other 40 percent continue toward the thalamus and midbrain targets on the same side (ipsalateral) .
so that individual LGN neurons are strictly monocular. driven either by the left or right eye but not by both Thus. neurons that are located over the centers of layer 4 ODCs respond almost exclusively to the left or right eye . inputs from both eyes are present at the level of the LGN but contralateral and ipsalateral retinal axons terminate in separate layers in layer 4.The Retinogeniculate Visual Pathway Projections from the LGN converge in the primary visual cortex or striate cortex The striate cortex is subdivided into 6 distinct layers which serves to segregate populations of neurons with distinct patterns of connections Most neurons in the striate cortex are binocular and respond to stimulation of both left and right eyes However.
Combining Inputs from Two Eyes: Ocular Dominance Columns .
Review: ODCs and the Critical Period Note: more recent evidence has shown that ODCs are formed days to weeks before the onset of the cortical period. it has been suggested that the critical period is important for the strengthening of pre-existing neuronal projections .