P. 1
History of Eastern Townships

History of Eastern Townships

|Views: 1,335|Likes:
Published by Nancy Cunningham

More info:

Published by: Nancy Cunningham on Feb 20, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

11/29/2012

pdf

text

original

CHAPTER II.

M1SSISQUOI COUNTY. DUNHAM. FARNHAM WEST. STANBRIDGE.

ST. ARMAND. FOUCAULT AND NOYAN.

MiSSiSQUOl county includes the

townships of

Dunham,

Farnham "West, Stanbridge, and the

seignories of St.

Armand, Foucault, and

Noyan. Its

chef-lieu is

Bedford in the

township of

Stanbridge. The Missis-

quoi County circuit court is held at Bedford from the

2nd to the 5th of the months of

February, May, and

October. The

county Agricultural Shows are also held

at Bedford.

DUNHAM.

A tract of land

lying within the district of

Montreal,

containing 57,252 acres, 3

roods, and 30

perches,

bounded north

by Farnham, east

by Brome and Sut-

ton, south

by St.

Armand, and west

by Stanbridge,

was erected into a

township named Dunham. The

petition for this

grant was dated

April 28th, 1795; the

warrant of

survey issued

August 27th of the same

year; and in

1796, the

township was

granted to

TOWNSHIPS.

293

Thomas Dunn and his

associates, viz., Joseph Buck,

John

Heliker, Jacob

Heliker, George Saxe, Mathew

Hall, William

Ferrand, David Ferrand, Joshua

Chambers, Amos Woodard, David

Reychart, John

Clark, Thomas

Best, Daniel

Mills, Jeremiah

Rejchart,

Daniel

Trevor, Alexander

McDougall, Thomas Pell,

Andrew Ten

Eyck, Henry Ten

Eyck, Archibald

Henderson, Henry Hall, Elisha

Dickinson, Jacob

Best

sen., George Waymore, Abraham

Lampman,

John

Mills, Stephen Jenner, Jacob Best

jun., Adam

Deal, Frederick Streit, Samuel Mills, Philip Ruiter,

and Jacob Ruiter.

It is said that Dunham was the first

township erected

in Lower Canada.

Among the earliest inhabitants if

not the

very first to locate within its

limits, was

Andrew Ten

Eyck from New

Jersey, who settled in

the south-western

part of the

tract, in 1793. He

was a U. E.

Loyalist, and came to Canada as the

forerunner of a numerous influx of the same class of

settlers. Johnathan Hart located in the. south

part

of the

township in 1795.

Among the earliest families in

Dunham, was that

of

Joseph Baker

,who with his wife and several

young

children came from

Petersham, Mass., in 1799.

They

came as far as

Georgia, Vt.

? in a

large canvass covered

waggon drawn

by four oxen ; when on account of the

distance between houses in some

stages of their

journey,

they were

obliged to

pass the

night in their movable

tent, while the oxen were turned loose. At

Georgia,

HISTORY OF THE

they were

obliged to

change their

waggon for a

sled,

which manner of

travelling from that

place to Dun-

ham, occupied three

days. In March

1799, George

Shufelt ancl

Henry Church settled in

Dunham, and

about the same time

Capt. Jacob

Ruiter, John Church

and Isaac

Gleason, located here.

The first settlers on the site of the

village of Dun-

ham, were Jacob

Helliker, Amos

Hawley, Gideon

Hawley, Lemuel

Hawley, Abraham

Lampman, and

John

Wagner ; all of whom located here about the

year 1795. Mills were built on the south branch of

the Yamaska river, in the north-eastern section of the

township, within the few

succeeding years ; and in

1804, a winter road was

opened through to the

French

seigniories by way of West

Farnham, which

was

finally extended

past Mount Johnson to the

Chambly river. Ox-carts were first used here about

the

year 1802.

The

township which is

partly hilly and

partly level,

is situated in the section where the mountainous

regions seem to descend to a

comparative level with

the

plains in the

vicinity of the St. Lawrence. The

different

qualities of land are found here in all their

variety, as

parts are excellent for

grain, while other

sections are better suited to

grazing and for

dairy

produce.

The

largest collective

body of water is

Selby lake,

so called from a resident near its

shore, but better

known as Dunham

pond, which covers about 600

EASTERN TOWNSHIPS.

295

acres. The

largest stream is the south branch of
Yamaska river which enters the north-east

part of

the

township from Brome ; beside

which, are others

of smaller size

running different

ways into other

townships.

Tne earliest

religious teachers here were American

Methodists. Their first

preachers were Hezekiah

Wooster and Lorenzo Dow. Societies were formed,

and in

1813, a

chapel was built

by these

people on

lot number 13 in the sixth

range.
The Rev. C. C. Cotton of the Church of

England,

was the first

clergyman who settled in the

township,

and continued to reside here for a

period of more

than

forty years. He was a native of

England, and

when in his 25th

year was ordained and

subsequently

sent out as a

missionary to Canada. In

1821, a church

edifice was built and

opened for Divine

service, and in

the same

year Dunham was erected into a Protestant

parish. In

consequence of

failing health Mr. Cotton

was assisted for a short

period by the Rev. H. Evans.

He was soon removed

by death however, and in

1846, the Rev. J. Scott then incumbent of

Brome,

commenced

holding service in Dunham each alternate

Sunday, about which time

steps were taken for the

erection of a "more suitable and convenient church

edifice which was finished and

opened for Divine

service in 1849. Mr. Cotton died in

1846, aged 73

years, and was succeeded in the

incumbency by Mr.

J. Scott.

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->