You are on page 1of 8
EASTERN TOWNSHIPS. 805 BTANBRIDGE. * Under the hand and seal of Sir Robert Shore Milnes, A warrant was issued for the survey of a tract of land in the district of Montreal, bounded north by Farnham, east by Dunham, south by St. Armand, and weat by the seigniories, bearing date of May Tth, 1801 ; when after the preliminary formsit was erected into a township named Stanbridge, September Ist of the same year, and granted to Hugh Finlay and his as- sociates, viz, John Cutting, Hannah Kellar, Clark Rey- nolds, Edward Martindale, Solomon Dunham, Adam Schoolcraft, John Bockus, Willard Smith, David Par- tolo, Caleb Tree, James Martindale, Mathew Kemble, J.'m Bomhower, Luke Hitchcock, Jacob Bomhower, Griffin Reynolds, Benjamin Reynolds, Frederick Whaler, Thomas Wrightman, Mathew Saxe, Joseph Smith, John Ruiter the younger, Stephen Lampman, Adam Clapper the elder, Moses Westover tho elre-. Peter Cutler, Peter Rosenburgh, Adam Clapper the younger, Henry Clapper, Peter Krans, Michael Tampman, Christopher Cartright, John Hogle the elder, Philip Krullor, John Ferguson the younger, Frederick Kemmerman, Almond Cartright and Thos. Douglas. From what has transpired respecting the proprietor- ship of land in Stanbridge, it would appear that com- paratively fow of these grantees made ‘Actual settle- U 806 HISTORY OF THE ment” upon the lands drawn; and that consequently many tracts reverted to the Crown. Tho first locations in this township were made as early as 1797, when Nathan Andrews came in from Rhode Island and settled here. ‘The same year Caleb Tree with his family came from Williamstown, Mass. ‘These two pioneers settled near the site of Stanbridge village. ‘The latter left a large family, some of whom retain the‘old homestead. About the year 1800, William Wilson from Waterbury, Vt., became owner of the lot on which is situated the mill privilege and where the main part of the village now stands, when he built both grist and saw-mills, and put up the frame of a building which was long kept aga public house. The first country store was opened here by Ebenezer Hart, about the year 1810. Ebenezer Martin built the first tannery here in 1808. In March 1820, John Baker from Barre, Vt., started the wool carding and cloth dressing business ;-and being a skillful mechanic, not only made the machinery required in his own works, but also for other establishmonts of the same kind; no small undertaking when considered in connection with the fact that then it was exceedingly dificult to obtain the necessary materials and tools for such work. The early settlers of Stanbridge had their share of the difficulties incident to pioneer life; particularly during cold and unproductive seasons. Some whoare now living, remember that as boys they used to be sent on horseback to Saxe’s mills in Highgate, Vt., for EASTERN TOWNSHIPS. 807 Virginia corn (brought there by boats on the lake) for which they had to pay three and a half or four dollars per bushel; and then to convey it through the woods over wretched roads, one bushel at a time. Before reaching Stanbridge, the mountain range which comes from the south into Canada, seems to have “melted into a plain,” as the land in the township is level, generally soft timbered, some portions low and marshy, and altogether better suited to the production of grain and vogetables than for grazing. ‘The most considerable stream of water is Pike river, which enters at the south-east from St. Armand. This stream is so called from the kind of fish found most plentiful in its waters; and it appears that the Indian and French- man as well as the English speaking settler, had each a name for it significant of this fact. Frequent rapids occur in its circuitous course through the township, which afford numerous mill sites, many of which have been improved by the erection of machinery. Grout Creek coming north from St. Armand, falls into Pike river at Bedford. The assessable property of Stanbridge is valued at 31,066,920. This may appear a high figure compared with the valuation of property in other townships ; but can no doubt be satisfactarily explained tothe inquirer. One fact which will of itself throw light upon this point has already been mentioned ; viz: the existence of numerous valuable mill privileges. along the course of Pike river, The number of legal voters is 787. An