P. 1
Spirit Methodist Church Copy

Spirit Methodist Church Copy

|Views: 1|Likes:
Published by Eric Magnuson

More info:

Published by: Eric Magnuson on Mar 08, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as DOC, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

03/08/2012

pdf

text

original

The Spirit United Methodist Church stands proudly alongside Highway 86 within the Town of Spirit.

This idyllic, welcoming Church is located nine miles east of Ogema in Price County, and lies within a clear day’s view from atop Wisconsin’s nearby highest point - Timm’s Hill (elevation 1951 feet, not including the peak’s observation tower). The Spirit United Methodist Church was organized and built by the surrounding community in 1893. The land for the Church - originally known as the Swedish Methodist Church – was donated by C.P. Nelson. The Church was constructed upon a large tree stump, and the foundation was made from stones also donated by Mr. Nelson – there was no shortage of them in the area’s farmland fields, as those who grew up nearby would surely attest to. The floor joists and frame were cut and hewn from trees harvested in the neighborhood. The Church’s physical strength is nonetheless spiritually maintained by an active membership that attends services weekly. An enlightening coffee and social time follows that Sunday service (held at 8:30am). Dinners and an array of other Church events are held in the Social Hall also located on the property. That character-laden, story-filled building was refashioned from a Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp mess hall donated to the Church by the U.S. Government. All visitors are welcome and any questions regarding weekly services, special occasions or the history of the Spirit United Methodist Church should be directed to (Lavonne Meier at 715-5642570).

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->