This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
SEKOLAH MENENGAH RIMBA FINAL EXAMINATION 2008 HISTORY Form II Time: 2 Hours INSTRUCTION TO CANDIDATES 1. Write your name and class in the box provided. 2. Do not open this booklet until you are told to do so.
3. Answer ALL questions in Section A and Section C. 4. Answer any FIFTEEN questions in Section B. 5. Answer any TWO questions From Section D, ONE question from Part I and
ONE question from Part II on the lined page at the end of the question. 6. You are given 5 minutes to look through the question paper. INFORMATION TO CANDIDATES The number of Marks is given in brackets [x] at the end of the section, or each question or part of the question. The total number of marks for this paper is 100. MARKS SECTION SECTION SECTION SECTION TOTAL A B C D
SECTION A Answer ALL questions in this section. Choose the most correct answer and write the letter A, B, C or D in the answer box provided. 1. What is an archive? __________. A. B. C. D. A A A A place where the official written records of a country are kept. place where the files of a country are kept. place to keep records. written record of a country.
2. The first month of the Muslim calendar is __________. A. B. C. D. Rejab. Syaban. Muharram. Syawal.
3. What was written on the Batu Tersilah? A. B. C. D. Syair Awang Semaun. Salasilah Raja-Raja Brunei. Chinese description about Po-ni. Arab writings about Sribuza.
4. In 1619, the Dutch set up their base at __________. A. B. C. D. Batavia. Brunei. Malacca. Singapore.
5. Who became the first British Resident of Perak?
A. Hugh Low. B. J.G Davidson. C. J.W.W Birch. D. Sir Andrew Clarke.
6. The E.I.C stands for __________. A. B. C. D. East East East East India Company. India Co-operation. Indies Company. Indonesia Company.
7. In July 1892, Andres Bonifacio founded a secret society called the __________. A. B. C. D. Kuomintang. Noli Me Tangere. Katipunan. El Filibusterismo.
8. What is the meaning of Thailand? A. B. C. D. Land. Land of Thai. Land of Free. Free of Land.
9. The word ‘Meiji’ means __________. A. B. C. D. Restoration. Rule of Meiji. Enlightened Rule. Shogun.
10. Who became the second White Raja of Sarawak? A. B. C. D. Charles Brooke. James Brooke. John Brooke. Charlie Brooke. [10 Marks] Total Marks
SECTION B Answer any FIFTEEN of the following questions in complete sentences. 1. Who was the inventor of 1) The Spinning Jenny 2) The Water Frame.
2. Name the founder of the Kingdom of 1) Ayuthia 2) Majapahit.
3. Which Rashidin Caliphs were known as As-Siddiq and Al-Faruq?
4. Name of the Thai King Rama IV and King Rama V.
5. Give two reasons for the outbreak of the Opium War in 1839.
6. Name of the wars Japan fought with China and Russia.
7. Name any two Brunei’s traditional land rights.
8. Name the treaty that ceded Labuan to the British and when it was signed.
9. What were the aims of the Boxer Rebellion?
10. What was the main reason for James Brooke to attack Brunei and when did it happen?
11. Give 2 reasons for the decline of the Majapahit Empire.
12. Who was appointed as the first British Resident in Perak and in Pahang?
13. Give two advantages of the Residential System in Malaya.
14. Who was the founder of Funan and where was its capital?
15. Name two important religions that influenced the early mainland kingdoms of Southeast Asia.
16. Which two group of people provided labours in the tin and rubber industries of Malaya?
17. Name any two of the local chiefs involved in the Pahang rebellion against the
18. Besides medicine and mathematics, give two other achievements of Islam during the Abbasid dynasty?
19. Which empire did Po-ni pay tribute to in 1365? How many katis of camphor was paid as tribute each year?
20. Give two reasons for the British intervention in Malaya.
[30 Marks] Total Marks
SECTION C Part I – Read the following passage carefully and then answer the following questions in COMPLETE sentences. Sultan Hashim
Pengiran Temenggong Anak Hashim was one of the four Wazirs in Brunei. He was the son of Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin II. He acted as a regent when Sultan Abdul Momin became old. Sultan Hashim inherited a much smaller kingdom than when his father was the Sultan. It was during his reign Limbang was annexed by Charles Brooke and Malcolm McArthur was appointed to be the first British Resident of Brunei. (a) In 1888, the Treaty of Protection was signed. (i) Who was the British representative sent to Brunei to negotiate the treaty? _______________________________________________________________ (ii) Name the 2 countries the British worried of capturing territories in Asia _______________________________________________________________ (iii) Give 2 terms of the Treaty of Protection. ______________________________________________________________ (b) Why Sultan Hashim objected the way how Limbang was taken by Charles Brooke? ______________________________________________________________ (c) What was the main cause of disturbances in Belait and Tutong in 1895? Who was sent by Sultan Hashim to stop these troubles? _______________________________________________________________
(d) Who was Sultan Hashim asked for help to get Limbang back? ______________________________________________________________ (e) Who represented the British Agreement on 3rd January 1906? government to signed the Supplementary
______________________________________________________________ (f) Give 2 terms of the Supplementary Agreement 1905 - 1906. ______________________________________________________________ (g) In 1906, Brunei accepted a British Resident. Name the first British Resident of Brunei and when did Brunei regained full independence and sovereignty? _______________________________________________________________ Part II – Read the following passage carefully and then answer the following questions in COMPLETE sentences. The Castille War In 1576, the Spanish Governor of Manila sent an envoy to Brunei to meet the Sultan. The Sultan welcomed the relationship between Brunei with the Spanish. However, the Sultan did not agree with the Spanish demands. This led the Spanish attacked Brunei and they were helped by 2 Bruneian nobles who turned traitors. The Spanish captured Brunei Town and the Sultan retreated. On June 1578, A Bruneian warrior led the Bruneians to defeat the Spanish and driven them out of Brunei. The war ended and both Brunei and the Spanish continued to be rivals. (a) Name the Spanish Governor in Manila in 1576. _______________________________________________________________ (b) Who was the ruler of Brunei during this period? _______________________________________________________________ (c) What were the reasons for the Spanish attacking into Brunei? _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________
(d) When was the actual date the Spanish attacked Brunei? _______________________________________________________________ (e) Name the 2 Bruneians who turned traitors. _______________________________________________________________ (f) What did the Spanish promised the 2 Bruneian traitors? _______________________________________________________________ (h) Where did the Sultan retreated to when the Spanish Attacked Brunei? _______________________________________________________________ (i) Name the Bruneian warrior who led the attack against the Spanish. _______________________________________________________________ (j) How many days the Spanish occupied Brunei and what happened to the 2 Bruneian traitors? _______________________________________________________________
[30 Marks] Total Marks
SECTION D Write an account on any ONE topic from each of part I and Part II. Your answer must be in form of short essay. You are reminded of the necessity of accuracy in historical content and orderly presentation of the facts. PART I: Write about 100 -150 words on one of the following topics: (a) Imagine you are one of the royal writers during the reign of Sultan Sharif Ali (1425 – 1432). When he died, you were chosen to write about his life story and Brunei during his rule. In your story, you should include the following: (i) describe about his life before he became the Sultan. (ii) what he did to make Islam an important religion in Brunei; and (iii) how Brunei’s power and trade increased during his rule. (b) Imagine you were one of the Malay chiefs who attended the signing of the Amanat in 1885. Write a report about this event and reasons which led to the signing of the Amanat. You report should include the following: (i) some details on the territories lost to the Brooke family and the British North Borneo Company between 1846 until 1885. (ii) What happened to Brunei because of these losses? (iii) The group of people involved in the signing of the Amanat. (iv) Was the Amanat successful? [15 Marks] PART II: Write an ESSAY of not less than 100 words on ONE of these topics: (a) (b) (c) (d) (e) The Java War [1825 – 1830] Sultan Bolkiah. Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin II. Sun Yat-Sen. The Rise And Fall Of Malacca. [15 Marks] Total Marks