This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
• 2006: DoT announces criteria for additional spectrum
• 1981: Contracts • 1992: VAS opened with a French to private sector company to merge participation with the state• 1947: owned ITI, to set up • 1994: NTP 1994 Nationalization of 5 million lines per • 1997: Establishment all foreign year of TRAI telecommunication • 1985: Establishment • 1999: NTP 1999 companies to of DoT constitute the posts • 2000: Establishment & telegraph • 1986: Establishment of TDSAT of VSNL and MTNL • 1950: Telephone exchanges taken over from the princely states
• 1991: Telecom equipment manufacturing deregulated
• 2003: Unified Access Service License (UASL); • 2008: New licenses Interconnect Usage granted by DoT Charges (IUC); and • 2010: 3G and BWA calling party pays spectrum auction (CPP) • 2011: MNP launched • 2004: Broadband Pan-India policy; universal
licensing regime; and guidelines for intra-circle M&A
• 2007: Cap on number of players in a circle removed
• 2012: 122 2G licenses revoked
SWOT Analysis – Idea Cellular Strengths Pan India Presence Weakness Low Presence in Non-Voice & VAS Segments Overall Industry Competitiveness Result In Low Prices & Margins Company Has Low Presence As Compared To Larger Competitors Revocation of Licenses by The Supreme Court Has Dampened Investment Sentiment Strong Infrastructural Capabilities Presence In 3G Market Growing Revenue Market Share Competitive Operations & Cost Management Strong Operational Fundamentals Global Scale Of Operations Roll Out of 4G Services – A Potential Dampener For 3G Profits SWOT Opportunities Mobile Banking Rollout of 3G In Market Revoking of 122 Telecom Licenses By The Supreme Court of India Provides Passive Infrastructure Services In 15 Service Areas Infra Sharing (Through Indus) Provides Significant Cost Benefits Threats High level of competition Overall Saturation of Telecom Market Lack of Clarity In Government Policy Huge Bet on 3G Services (Large Capex) New Entrants Can Disrupt Pricing & Profitability In Market (Tata DoCoMo) Mobile Number Portability Weak Investment Climate – May Hamper Foreign Investments .