As this is written, ) am at apartment 6117 in Goodwin House West, Falls Church, Virginia at t 0:40 a.rn, December.ZS, 1999, having just moved here to a two room apartment from three rooms because it has finally become clear to me that my wife Helen cannot return. Goodwin House West is a life care est~bUsh01ent-whc;!r~ for a substantial entry fee and monthly rental fees,) shall receive food, shelter, and nurses' care for the rest of my Ufe.

A year ago, the doctors said that she- woul.(f'neve-r recover.

She died peacefully at 8:00 on December 31, 1999!~ We were both 90j Helen was born September 8, 1909 in Los Angeles and I w~s born on May 2 the same year~inFUlda, .Minne~O.ia~t1y: ~~,~eF f .' Edward Eng was the son of Christian Eng, a NOf\Y\eiian' imlTJi.8f9nt and my mother Fanny Walters, was daughter ,@f RaR~qm.\W~ft§~$ of Jasper, Minnesota.



"~ Ufedl!m€ because of the human ten,d,encY to-remember only the good~ to .forgetth'e " losses and brag about the winnings. This I disciail)!l·and say that lfl had the chance-to live over again I would be hard put agaIn to be so lucky. After the death of mymotherat age:,~ there was a period during whlch.lIlved wlthnumerous'relatlves and enjoyed every visit. I learned to read early and all my life enjoyed the separate world of books. I: know cf'noacqualntancetbat I disliked. With my well developed ego I onl¥ regretted the views of those that were in complete variance with my own. My life was enriched by the great variety of jobs I held. With Helen I saw much of this country and a sampling of travel in Europe including two years in

It might be said that you cannotgenerallzeabout


England. My over 60 years of marriage to Helen, 1933 through 1999, was as nearly perfect as could be. We liked the same things, the same people and held the same views on most sublects.. . . I was three at the time of childbirth of my brothers William 'and Walter. My other brothers Vincent, Raymond, Paul, Ray, and . James were to appear later following the rernerrlageof my father to Martina Swanson of Jasper, Minnesota. Of my early days in Fulda, I remember only fishing with my. ._. grandfather, but my Aunt Lena, to my embarrassment told the; story of my notorious escapade. She said that lhad been left alone outside with a strong cord attached to the clothes lines and to my . diapers. I had removed this garment and went in the nude "downtown" to daddy's store. From Fulda we moved to a small town called Sherman where rny. father had a grocery store. Our next move was to Gary, South Dakota. By then my father had married Martina Swanson who became a real mother to me. This marriage added brothers and sister Vincent, Donald, Raymond, James and Muriel. During the time before my father's remarriage, I spent much time with relatives including Uncle Ole's boys Claude and Harold at their lake-side home in Balaton and with Uncle John's family at their farm. Gary, South Dakota was an ideal site for children togrow; ··Jts.:. . population was 600 +; it was located on a slight slope with a .. -, .. railroad through the center. It had a stream runnlng througf its' . western edge in which there were trout. The southern part_of the stream ran through a gulch which provided wooded ski-slopes in the winter. In the north part of town was the state school for the blind which provided an excellent musician who also taught music in the

high school. There, I gained, thanks to his patience, a moderate not top flight - proficiency in playing the violin which permitted me to play in the high school orchestra and later in the orchestra in San Diego State College and University of South Dakota. In Gary, I studied violin under Robert Drew who had been employed by the State School for the Blind and also led the school orchestra. We won the State Championship for small town orchestras. One experience while growing up in Gary was the summers spent working on a farm. I had learned how to hitch a team of horses; to operate a riding corn cultivator and repair it when a plow hit a rock and broke the wood plug that had held the plow in place. I operated a team-drawn hay rake, a manure spreader and fed the horses, pigs, and chickens. This, I learned, was "working for a living" and I decided that "work" was not for me as a way of life. Later I changed my view on the definition of "work" . I graduated a year ahead of most and drove my Uncle Jake and family (Aunt Emma and cousins Ruth and Wanda), to California in their Model T Ford. In San Diego I attended San Diego State College (later to become University of California, San Diego) where I used the money, provided by my grandfather Ransom Walters, until it ran out. My studies taken without supervision or direction included a wide range of classes among which were Art, Chaucer, meteorology, commercial law, astronomy, music appreciation, harmony, English composition, geology and psychology. I took various art classes during my freshman year. I played violin in the college orchestra, wrote for college publications and won a sports letter in basket ball only because the coach in pity let me play in one game when our score was well ahead in the final quarter. I joined the local fraternity Sigma Lambda and played poker in

regular modest games. There I met Helen. As assistant editor I was pasting pictures with short biographies in the College Annual and found Helen Stephens, editor of the school paper "The AZTEC" to be the most beautiful (and certainly very bright) girl in the college. My cousin, Ruth, who knew her provided the introduction I sought and after a short role as news contributor I pursued a more romantic course which became, to my great pleasure, more intimate. Her mother liked me but felt that I did not promise the future worthy of her daughter. When funds from my grandfather's legacy expired I worked for a year for my Uncle Ludwig in Cottonwood, Minnesota in his drug store and then returned to college at the University of South Dakota, majoring in psychology and philosophy which then were considered a single discipline. I joined the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha, played poker and played violin in the college orchestra. During the summer with my violin I accompanied a small band of fraternity brothers (piano, drums, saxophone, trumpet) through small towns in South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska, playing in American Legion and similar halls, always only with a percentage and never with an advance or guarantee. I lost $ 50 (a lot of money then) on this adventure. After graduation from University of South Dakota, with a college friend Frank Severens, we reconditioned a Ford Model T, reassembled it and drove to California replacing innumerable "blowouts" from our supply of discarded tires. In San Diego I renewed my affair with Helen who was now teaching. I found that I could not teach without credit in certain "education courses" so I returned to State College for a second AB degree, obtained a teaching job, married Helen and gave up my job as news rewrite man on the San Diego Sun which folded, unable to meet the competition of the San

Diego Union. So where to live? Why not honeymoon in a tent? Here is how it worked out: a good college friend Ed Churchman was working on the California border at Woodford, Alpine County, as an entomologist protecting California crops from the invasion of dangerous insects. In Helen's Ford we went to Woodford and camped on the shores of a beautiful lake (SOOO feet above sea level). On our return to San Diego we rented a house on the waterfront of Mission Bay where I taught English in the city schools and supplemented our diet by spearing fish at night with a light standing in a row boat with a 5-pronged spear. At about this time (I do not recall exactly when) it was my good fortune to get the WPA grant leadership of a program aimed at prevention of delinquency sponsored by the city Probation Office. With it was a collection of out-of-work young persons, mainly ladies, who scoured the criminal records of 1000 California criminals, tabulating on huge sheetssuch information as type of offence, age, sex, number of offences and what kind, etc. This massof information I brought to University of Southern California where in a series of weekend and summer classesI obtained an MS degree. From this large body of information it turned out to yield only 319 casesfor which enough cross comparisons made conclusions possible. Two things that stood out which were common to other studies were that a criminal on release from jail tended to return to the same type of crime as that of his first offence. Also it showed that of all types of remedial action the foster home was best. Anticipating the coming war I applied for a commission in Naval Intelligence. While awaiting a reply, with the endorsement of Lester

Earnest, I was employed by Solar Aircraft, San Diego, as Tool Designer. As a beginner I had no complex jobs, mainly "go-no-gogages" and holding devices. On September 15 1941 I was accepted by the Navy as Lt. j.g. serial 116070 assigned to Broadway Pier Offices Intelligence (Op. 16) where I held various jobs: Sabotage; Publications; (Codes); the Communist Desk and confidential funds. While holding the Communist Desk there suddenly appeared George Vanderbilt who for reasons not clear to me was assigned to me. I briefed him on national, state and local active communists and put him to "work" on incoming reports. George had mingled with some of the very rich Nazis in Mexico but when it appeared that his "cover" was blown it was decided that he leave Mexico immediately. So, with his friend Thompson, he embarked on his sailboat "Pioneer" and tied up at San Diego's Broadway pier. The vessel later was to serve as an off-shore patrol looking for submarines. Intelligence as a profession has some characteristics of other fields but also many distinctly its own. Intelligence seeks answers but so does all of science. Its concern though is limited to conditions that are helpful or harmful to the country. It does not have the freedom to explore as does the scientist, journalist or historian. One of its problems is the need to cope with large amounts of information, sorting out the portion that applies or does not relate to the problem at hand. The process can include rejection of information that was intended to deceive. It must judge the value of low-applicable facts that only in the aggregate are useful. There can be good information from unqualified sources and unreliable information from well-meaning good sources. Much of the information must be shielded from view, and to do this degrees of

"security" are indicated on documents. The usual designations are restricted, secret, top secret and code word. Unclassified information such as items from newspapers or the public library can be of value to a covert inquiry and thus (strangely) become classified. Another unique situation is that in which a single source provides a large volume of data much of which is useless in the main but which must be protected because of its potential for revealing very valuable information. I left the Eleventh Naval District after being ordered to New York to an intelligence course in preparation for overseas duty. The "school" was in the Henry Hudson hotel at 353 W, 57th Street where we had regu lar physical conditional sessions in the gym and briefings on Formosa which we presumed was scheduled for invasion. (It had no relevance whatever to coming events which turned out to be the l O" Army invasion of Leyte and Okinawa.) With other U.S. Naval Intelligence personnel I was put on an Army Transport vessel with no sea-going duties whatever. When the alarm for "general quarters" was sounded and all hands took stations in anticipation of emergency, as a passenger I was assigned to lie down in my bunk and keep out of the way. When an Army paymaster handed me a bill for food for Naval personnel I inadvertently let it fall overboard. It was a truly nervous situation when we waded ashore at Leyte and I have swept into the dustpan of my subconscious any recollection of fear. Our assigned task on Okinawa was to process the people available to sort out any Japanese and send them to the interrogation group in the rear. Our Japanese experts were bilingual young men of Japanese ancestry who had been saved by Naval Intelligence's foresight despite the fact that others in their family had been sent to holding areas in the Midwest. All were good Americans and

worthy of complete trust. Because our assigned area was between the U.S. artillery and the infantry this presented three hazards. One was friendly fire from behind us, from fearful inexperienced guards especially at night. The second worry was from Japanese "shorts" that failed to reach their true targets: the guns behind us. The third worry was the constant trial infiltration of Japanese who, to sabotage the U.S. artillery, would have to pass at night through our area. We were well protected at night by Military Police watchdog patrols, later even more effectively by guards having the new "snooper scope" attachment to their rifles. This permitted the patrol guard with the attached infra-red beam, to actually see the infiltrator. The bodies were left for us to dispose of and in the morning I headed the burial parties collecting each body's personal effects including armament money and, best of all, diaries in which to our surprise were often listed the unit to which the man had been attached and the names of senior officers. I was especially careful to keep all the money in a cardboard box. That taken from Okinawans was exchanged for a personal IOU with my rubber stamp ULt.Cdr. Ransom, Eng USNR." Later when the Island Command permitted Okinawans to have money I was told that a friend in a rear camp told his superior that I had a real problem because he knew Eng was not rich enough to redeem all the papers with my name that were in circulation as ureal money." To settle the problem I went to this large camp with my box of yens and redeemed all outstanding obligations and had a large amount remaining. Later before I left Okinawa I tried to turn it over to U.S. Army Financial Aid Supply Officers. All refused to take responsibility. Not in Army regulations and not in their job description. I finally labeled it "Top Secret" for the Commanding Officer G-2, delivered it and obtained my objective: a formal receipt.

When preparations for the invasion of Japan were being made Okinawa became the supply storage site, and mountains of goods of every description became available. Our small unit took full advantage of this. From the "Seebees"we obtained a walk-in refrigerator with its own power source. Unusual circumstances brought us a full barrel of medical alcohol. Large amounts had been stored behind heavy wire fences topped with barbed wire. An enterprising soldier gained accesswith wire cutters, punctured a hole in a barrel with his bayonet and filled his bucket, letting the remainder run into the ground. This wanton act so outraged the high command (and the thirsty multitude) that all barrels were passedto various commands with strict rules regarding its care. The measured volume remained the same during our custody. Anyone entering the refrigerator with permission first would empty a canteen of water into the barrel, stir gently and remove an equal amount. It soon would be mixed with fruit juice.

My most fearful experience came about one night when I was
preparing for bed. First there were rifle shots and I thought that it was in defense of an infiltration. But when larger caliber firing was heard I knew this was serious and possibly indicated invasion from the sea. With rockets and flares illuminating the scene I took my 45 caliber Navy issuepistol, a towel to lie on, another on which to place replacement clips of ammunition and lay on my stomach facing the sea ready to do my rehearsed part in defending my sector. The sky full of rockets meant to me invasion with Japanese air support. Then a figure crossed my field of vision and I followed it but did not fire. It was our doctor en-route to the latrine. He is lucky to be alive today. It was no invasion. The military police had learned that the war was over and were celebrating this momentous event.


The end of the war also left large numbers of military personnel unable to return home until they had the required number of "points." It was ln this situation that Dr. Grant Taylor, pathologist from Duke University proposed the establishment of an Okinawa Research Center and asked me, because of my presumed facility in getting along in the bureaucracy, to arrange its legitimate birth. This I did without much trouble or delay and designated Dr. Taylor as Director and Ransom Eng as Assistant Director. There was no difficulty at all in drafting any kind of scientist for any task, but it usually was one related to his own scientific speciality. Having assumed the temporary role as scientist/administrator I proceeded to scoop up every bit of data that came my way about Okinawa. A note on "The Okinawa School" was published in the December t 948 issue of School Life by the U.S. Office of Education; part of the voluminous material collected was published in the "Smithsonian Institution Report for 1947, pages 379-406" with co-author Marshall Newman and much of the overflow plus much extra research by Newman again as co-author, we published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology as "A Biological Appraisal of the Ryuku People" Vol. 5, June t 947, p, t 13. Because of our new status as Island Research Center the usual annual outbreak of encephalitis had unexpected consequences. On the island of Guam was located a group of scientists, also idle because of war's end called NAMRU which translated to Naval Advanced Medical Research Unit. They descended on Okinawa en masse, each scientist eager to do important work in this fresh area of study. I managed, there being no one else who would take the job, to arrange tents, bunks, food and supplies for the prestigious horde. They spread in many directions, some doing post mortems on victims of the disease, some studying the possibility of animal or bird carriers of infection. On one occasion a mouse that had been

injected showed unusual symptoms and it became my task to get the mouse by air to Guam with the highest available priority. I did it but to what avail I never knew. One day an enlisted man led into camp a horse. It was small, much like a Shetland pony. It was immediately adopted and a Texan Naval corpsman immediately took over the grooming, feeding and housing. An army tent became a barn and an orderly schedule for riding the horse was agreed upon. But soon a disruptive force represented by an imperious member of the Military police appeared and demanded that the horse be transferred to them as ' they were in charge of transportation and thus the horse was their responsibility. The men at once appealed to Dr. Grant Taylor, who at once rejected the claim telling the Military police, as Director of the Island Research Center, that the horse was an experimental animal. When this came to the attention of the Island Command the Research Center was asked for a report on the research that required a horse. The reply after much consultation with experts was that an attempt was in process to make anti-venom which would protect infantry-men who might be crawling on the ground at night from the bite of the poisonous nocturnal snake Habu Okanensis. It was then asked of me to obtain some snakes. This had never been in the job description of a Naval Intelligence officer, nor for that matter was being Executive Director of a Research Center, or equally peculiar, being assigned to the Tenth Army. But with cigarettes for payment the natives brought us snakes. To obtain venom the snake was held by the neck and the sac behind the extended fangs was pressed to obtain the venom. The venom was then injected into the horse who continued to be the pampered guest of the men, unaware of its vital role in the advance of military medicine. All seemed serene, but not for long. What happened was another request from Island Command. I'm not sure of this

but my best guess is this. With no really important events to report now that the war was over the Command at last had something to say to Washington. On getting this information Headquarters, never noted for letting sleeping dogs lie (pardon, "sleeping horses") asked us through channels to provide Washington with anti-venom and live snakes. At my behest Helen learned from the San Diego Zoo which kind of shipping box would be required for the transfer. I arranged for its construction with the "Seabees" but ran into the objections of pilots who if they should be disabled in a plane crash did not like the idea of a liberated snake near them. I arranged a priority for their flight and the snakes took off for Guam. What happened next I do not know. I heard that the snakes ended up in the D.C. Zoo and that the anti-venom went to Lederly Laboratory but was not able to confirm either statement. Planning what to do after the war was a problem. I had a General Secondary Teaching Certificate and also years of experience in intelligence dating back to September t 941. To capitalize on my intelligence background I needed to be in Washington so I proposed to Personnel that I return to Headquarters to conduct a study on how useful the sampling system might be to Naval problems. I was ordered to Washington but found on arrival no unit to which I had been assigned, that I was on my own. Wandering around Naval Headquarters I found an empty desk in the Latin American Division of Office of Intelligence and from there I pursued my project and helped also to prepare the morning report on disturbances in Latin America. Only one circumstance in my "sampling study" was of special note. Hadley Cantrill of Princeton had been asked during the war by Roosevelt to check the opinions of French officers in German-occupied North Africa what their response would be to an Allied invasion. It is my speculation (without evidence) that the

favorable responses by French officers may have had some influence in the later Allied landings. During the war there had been conflicting opinions on strategic decisions resu lting from the differing interpretation by the Armed Services branches of their own available information. To reduce the confusion it had been decided to form an organization that would have access to all defense-related information, would analyze it and issue an authoritative statement to the President on its significance. This organization was to have its own investigative function limited to foreign sources (to avoid conflict with FBI). Awaiting action by Congress there was formed a Central Intelligence Group which I joined and from which I was automatically transferred when legislation was approved in 1947 for the CIA where I was employed until my retirement in 1969. My experiences in CIA were varied. My first job in the earlier CIG was in the Dissemination Branch where was pooled all pertinent reports from all services and State Department. These reports then were to be redistributed so that each service would receive all available information related to its mission. I soon found a position more to my liking in the newly formed Latin American Division. There I soon was preparing finished copy for publication condensed from papers submitted by each of the country specialists. I did well by being very careful in editing and conservative in analysis by measuring carefully the probabilities of disturbance where often the evidence was inadequate, uncertain, or of questionable merit. When it had been decided to add to the CIA roster an Office of Scientific Intelligence I was offered the position of Chief of a new division that had a central role apart from the highly specialized


areas such as weapons, medicine and nucfear energy. As it turned out this division was soon making contributions to each of the others. One of the strengths of the Scientific Analysis Division (SAD) was the freedom to search without any limiting jurisdictional restraints. Another was the thoroughness possible for an analyst who had "all source" cfearance incfuding access to data in the "Q" (nuclear energy) field as well as "code word" (intercepts). As the SAD attained exceptional proficiency in the subject matter divisions they were lost to SAD and with wholesale transfers the Division was abolished and I was moved to the office of the Assistant for Operations, General Philip Strong. My next assignment was to represent the CIA office of Scientific Intelligence in England. There, while attached to the U.S. Embassy I went daily to my desk in British Intelligence. It was a rewarding experience to work with these intelligent and highly effective intelligence officers. An interesting event in my CIA experience was a study of unidentified flying objects (UFOs). The agency had been asked to look into the subject and a group consisting of Ralph Clark, Deputy Assistant Director of CIA, General Phillip Strong (USMC) and Ransom Eng, Chief of Scientific Analysis Divisions CIA/Office of Scientific intelligence. We went to various places where reports were available and briefed the Director of CIA, Gen. "Beetle" Smith. Gen. Strong reported there to be no evidence of Russian involvement or of military interest; Ralph Clark found no connection with electronics. My report was to the effect that no one wanted to believe in something that could not be explained; as a consequence, interviews were poor, recording was haphazard and appraisal of sources was not adequate, analysis and filing was poor.

One incident I still remember as striking. A Navy Chief Photographer, driving across the Arizona desert saw something of interest in the sky. So he stopped, took from his car his Bell and Howell camera and let the "objects" fly through the frame and then repeating the process as it went by. He was shown that it then made a sudden turn before disappearing. Of this Dr. Lloyd Berkner, geophysicist, noted that at any assumed speed (which could not be calculated because of the absence of reference points) it could not be piloted by living beings because of the obvious pressure generated by the sharp turns observed. My participation in the UFO enquiry is noted in a book by Timothy Good, QUILL, William Morrow, New York 1988 page 334. This states that in a 1952 "lengthy briefing by Mr. Eng ... found that reporting of events over Los Alamos and Oak Ridge were inexplicable. A puzzling situation remains because of the large number of sincere reports by credible observers. I had saved considerable annual leave before going to London. Helen and I made numerous rewarding excursions to Northern and Southern England, Scotland and Europe. After my retirement Helen and I moved to California purchasing a house in La Jolla on the cliff overlooking the ocean to the west and Mission Bay and San Diego to the south. After a year, missing friends in the east we canceled our membership in the San Diego Yacht Club and returned to the east. We purchased a house on the West River waterfront across from the Shady Oaks Marina but eventually moved because the water at low tide was not deep enough for my 28-foot fixed-keel sailboat. We then purchased a waterfront house on the northeast tip of Chair Point where from its position near the shore we had a clear view to the north where the Smithsonian Institution owned land overlooking the West River

opening to the Chesapeake Bay. To the northwest we could see the village of Galesville and the east the Chesapeake Yacht Club in Shadyside. The house was two-story, with 5 bedrooms and kitchen and baths on each floor. It was also old, exposed to the weather and required constant repair in addition to normal maintenance. We owned it for about 20 years as a second home. During this time while I was in CIA Helen became interested in, and made a serious study of Capitol Hill houses that were very near the Capitol. This resulted in a series of purchases -- five I recall. With a large down payment on a run-down house in an excellent location we were able to borrow enough money to make the house attractive enough to accomplish a sale that would payoff the loan and leave enough profit to make the next adventure easier. During this period we lived in various houses in Arlington, VA and also at times in the finished part of a Capitol Hill house being restored. While in the area Helen had been an active member of the AAUW and had made friends of families with whom we have kept contact through the years. When we were in our seventies Helen became worried about the need to avoid thrusting the responsibility for our care on our son Stephen should we become disabled. One solution was to find a suitable life care institution. Our search made it clear to us that the best place available in the Washington area was Goodwin House on Beauregard Avenue. We made known our desire to move there later and moved to Nashville, Tennessee, the location of my son and his growing family. There we purchased, in the city, a four-story (counting basement) house. The property included a large lawn, a barn, an orchard and a guest house. It was in poor shape but with out Capitol Hill experience we felt that we could restore it to its original condition.


After a year's intensive repair work with contractors we left Nashville and returned to Virginia to move into Goodwin House. Two years later a newly constructed Goodwin House West became available and in order to enjoy larger quarters we selected a 3-room corner apartment on the 7tr.floor. We continued to use our waterfront home, driving each Thursday to Chalk Point and returning to Goodwin House on Sunday. Our dog and cat were cared for during our absence at Chalk Point by a retired High School teacher. After the animals died at about age t 4 we found the maintenance of the property to become increasingly burdensome. I was no longer sailing because lack of agility made single handling the boat too difficult, so we gave our son the contents of the house and sold it. We continued to be busy because now we could take full advantage of the many programs regularly scheduled: trips to museums, movies, billiards, an excellent in-house library and a large well equipped art studio. In late 1998 Helen became ill and in 1999 was moved to the special care unit where she received round-the-clock expert medical attention from attentive and sympathetic nurses. Helen died December 3, 1999. In accordance with her wishes the body was donated to the Virginia State Anatomy Board. I had arranged for a traditional Episcopal Memorial Service in the Goodwin House Chapel in deference to her many religious friends, who attended in great numbers. Like others, I like to think of myself as being of some consequence. Enough so that I will be remembered. I know that what little that remains after my departure will, like footprints in the snow, fade into oblivion. To be honest, I suppose that this ego that demands recognition here, and in the future as well, has provided some motivation for things I have done. True, sheer enjoyment has been

a constant motivation. Painting is fun, I like to find in my work evidences of attention to arrangement of shapes, good use of space and color. And that the product is something that others will pause to give a second glance. With good luck it will be a form of communication, a footprint not yet gone. This I have felt not only about painting; it has been fun also to be co-author of historical notes on the Ryuku Islands, the builder of shapes in my wood sculptures, my mahogany and brass small freeform sculptures. These will outlive me and these, in my desire to be remembered, have merit. I guess this is as good a time at age 90 to make a statement of my fundamental beliefs. Before making a flat-out statement of what's what, I like to look at the general situation physical and mental which might apply to a decision. It is clear that my presence in the great arena of endless time and endless space is indescribably small. So it is also of my comprehension. In this environment I cannot conceive of material or entities emerging from nothing into something. I cannot conceive of space beginning or ending .. This applies also to time. With these "impossible" conditions extant it is not possible to account for the all-pervading energy we see in the cosmos. Why for instance should in the year 2000 electrons continue vigorously to whirl about the center nucleus? If there are expendable forces there has been plenty of time in the past for them to reach a condition of stability or inactivity. So as those forces exist today can we say they have always existed and presumably never will stop? The idea is hard to accept and hard to reject. But we do see that changes occur; that there are clearly wavelengths of energy from radiating centers, that infinitely varied consequences have followed changes, including the emergence of living things. And a truly strange outcome of this shifting around of

energy components and chemicals is man. How in the galaxy of possible outcomes could this come about? In sum too much is seemingly impossible, and observable outcomes of chance are indescribably improvable. Under these conditions how shall I formulate a belief? To me there is the known and the unknown; it is not possible for me to say that something I do not know can arbitrarily be stated as fact. So for now must say I am an agnostic as the word may relate to life after death. I cannot dlsbelleve; there is no evidence to justify disbelief. I hope but do not expect a happy life after death. We all cling to life and do not wish to lose everything. Some go so far as to speculate on conditions in a completely new dimension; others find consolation in the thought of reincarnation. I am grateful for what I have had in the past and what I have now, and hope for the best in the hereafter.


RANSOM L. ENG EMPLOYMENT· Uninterrupted employment as a career intelligence officer from September, 1941 to 28 February 1.969. Military' and naval service: ;'FromSeptember 1941 to May 1944, Office of the District Intelligence Officer, 11th Naval District,.San Diego, California, as Agent of aNI (counterintelligence) and as a naval officer: Intelligence Planning Officer for Eleventh Naval District; , . . Operational Intelligence; Personnel Security;'Counter-intelligence. From May 1944 to December 1945, staging in the Philippines and combat service in Okinawa with the Teni;h Army and XXIV Corps. From January 1946 to October 1946, active duty with Office of Naval·Intelligence in Washington, D. C. Left the Navy with the grade Commander '(Specialist, Intelligence) USNR. Naval training includes Basic Intelligence School, Washington, D. Co; Operational Intelligence, New York; Gunnery (short course) Pacific Beach, California; Military Government Intel- . ·.1.igence,ew York; Naval War College Reserve Course, Newport,_.Rhode.. N Island and various correspondence courses in security and intelligence. U.S. Government: From October 1946 to February 1969 continuous duty with the Central Intelligence Group (CIG) and its successor organiiation, the Central Intelligence Agency. Duties included conduct 'of' individual research projects as an area specialist; central coordinator for preparation of contributions, to national estimates for a large geographic area; administration of a division responsible for ~ll-source research on priority problems; liaison with other agencies ,in the intelligence community; representative of~the.Agency in a friendly foreign country in matters related to science and technology, and various staff assignments. ' EDUCATION

BA in Psychology and Philosophy, University of South Dakota; MS in Education and Psychology, University of Southern California; additional credit hours in Sociology and Psychology • Life Secondary Teaching: = , . Credential, State of California. Phi Delta Kappa (honorary scholastic) USC.
PUBLICATIONS Co-author of papers on Cultural Appraisal of the Ryuku peoples~'t12 oc,---:c...":' __ .it Biological Appraisal of the Ryuku Peoples (1967 Smithsonian Annua1- ,", 'Report and American Journal of Anthropology); The Okinawan School .. (US Office of EdUcation); Master's thesis at University of Southern California: 319 Juvenile Delinquents, the result of inquiry into the backgrounds of'selected Ca.lifornia criminals. PERSONAL DATA ,Married; one son, DATE PREPARED: 13 Feb 69
' _


Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful