You are on page 1of 3

Kerala HC issues notice to Centre on lottery scam

T Ramavarman, TNN Mar 9, 2011, 06.39am IST

KOCHI: A division bench of the Kerala high court on Tuesday issued notices to the Centre, the Kerala government, the CBI and Union home minister P Chidambaram in a petition filed by a Kochi-based lottery agent seeking CBI enquiry into various malpractices in the paper lottery organized and distributed through promoters in India by the Bhutan government and Sikkim state. Notices have also been issued to the Sikkim state government, director of lotteries of Bhutan as well as to the major promoters of lotteries including Martin Lottery Agencies Ltd and Megha Distributors, both based in Coimbatore.

CBI to probe Kerala lottery scam


PTI
SHARE PRINT T+

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, JUNE 19: Clearing the decks for a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities and corruption in the operations of other State lotteries in Kerala, the UDF Government has issued a notification to transfer 32 related cases to the Central investigating agency. The issuance of the notification last evening fulfilled a legal and procedural step sought by the Centre for paving the way for a CBI probe into the allegations, a demand supported by both UDF and LDF leaders. The notification, under the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, would be handed over to the authority concerned at the Centre by Kerala's Resident Commissioner in New Delhi tomorrow, official sources here said. CBI probe into alleged corruption and irregularities in running of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in Kerala by some lottery tycoons has been a long-pending demand of the State, supported by both the ruling UDF and the Opposition LDF. Keywords: Kerala lottery scam, CBI,

Stage set for CBI probe into lottery scam in Kerala


Posted on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:12 AM
ShareThis

Previous Next

CBI to probe into Kerala lottery scam


Thiruvananthapuram: Clearing the decks for a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and corruption in the operations of other state lotteries in Kerala, the UDF government has issued a notification to transfer 32 related cases to the Central investigating agency. The issuance of the notification last evening fulfilled a legal and procedural step sought by the Centre for paving the way for CBI probe into the allegations, a demand supported by both UDF and LDF leaders. The notification, under the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, would be handed over to the authority concerned at the Centre by Kerala's Resident Commissioner in New Delhi on Monday, official sources said. CBI probe into alleged corruption and irregularities in running of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in Kerala by some lottery tycoons has been a long-pending demand of the state, supported by both the ruling UDF and the opposition LDF. Former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan, who headed the previous LDF Ministry, had twice urged the Centre to order the probe holding that a whopping sum of Rs 80,000 crore had been siphoned off Kerala over the last four years through the operation of other-state lotteries. He had even wanted the probe to ascertain if part of the money taken out of the state through sale of lotteries had gone to support subversive activities against the country. However, the demand did not materialise as his government did not fulfill the procedural obligation of notifying the cases under the relevant Act. After assuming office last month, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy renewed the request for the CBI probe and the state was advised that it should issue a notification.

High court orders CBI probe into Kerala lottery scam


2011-05-24 18:50:00 Last Updated: 2011-05-24 18:58:51 Play & Win Cash Online
Ads by Google

Rummy is a Traditional Indian Game Start Playing & Win Cash Prizes!www.Ace2Three.com/Win-Cash-Online Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Tuesday gave its nod for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into an alleged multi-crore-rupee lottery scam in the state. There are allegations against agents of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries that they siphoned off Rs.80,000 crore in the last four years by violating tax laws and diverting unclaimed prize money. A division bench headed by Chief Justice J. Chelameswar gave the direction for a CBI probe on a petition filed by Congress leader V.D. Sateeshan. The court issued the order after the central government, represented by Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium, agreed for a CBI probe. Sateeshan approached the court in March demanding a CBI probe into the alleged scam. Former chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan was keen on a probe but his cabinet colleague and former finance minister Thomas Issac opposed it. Isaac accused the Congress-led central government of reluctance to transfer the powers to states to ban lotteries. Reacting to the high court verdict, Issac while welcoming the probe said that one thing that should be included in the probe is the reason why the central government all this while was not keen on it. 'It must be recalled that in 2005 a public interest litigation demanding a CBI probe in the case had come up but the then chief minister Oommen Chandy (of the Congress) sat on that and saw to it that it never happened,' said Issac. State Congress president Ramesh Chennithala told reporters in Delhi that his party welcomed the decision on CBI probe since it will bring out the truth behind the lottery muddle.