This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Renette Armstrong Craig Bobby David Boyce Bill Callahan Irwin Caraballo Salathiel Carter Michelle Carter Jack Clark Richard Collins Richard Cook Virginia Cook Amy Craft Gregory Cznadel Daryl Davis Margie Dobrovich Ellen Dowd Christine Dunson Alan Forman Donald Friedl Dorothy Friedl Jim Friedl Jesse Frye Bob Gardin Bill Graham Darren Hamm Johanna Hamm Anne Hill Rick Jaworski Paul Kirk Renee Knazik Joan Komic Kevin Kubovcik Charles Kutan Ann Kuula Judy Ladaika Mike Ladaika David Lawhun Mary Louk Dawn Marshman Sharon Martynowski Laura McShare Joe Mestnik Gary Morgan Rick Nicholson Mike Nowakowski Sherry Perry Dane Reich Mary Kay Reich Dottie Rieman Nitza Rosario Sandra Rozhon Jasmin Santana James Stuart Ken Wohlgemuth Frank Woyma Janet Woyma BICENTENNIAL
A Very Special Thanks to:
Art House Inc. Brooklyn Centre Community Association Ward 14 Councilman Brian Cummins Southwest Citizens Area Council All the Staff at Stockyard, Clark-Fulton and Brooklyn Centre Community Development Office Ameriflag Archwood UCC Brooklyn Centre Orchard Committee City of Cleveland Cleveland Public Library Coral Company Convenient Food Marts Councilman Joe Cimperman Dee’s Diner DonGi’s Pizza Dynamic Sign Co. Gas and Go Gino’s Cento Anno Gyro Guys Jonny’s Restaurant Kehoe Brothers Printing McDonald’s MetroHealth Hospital Neighborhood Connections Old Brooklyn Community Development Corporation Riverside Cemetery Sal’s Menu Restaurant Second DistrictCleveland Police Department Terrace Construction Ugly Broad White Gold Management LLC
Archwood United Church of Christ - 2800 Archwood Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44109
2:00 - 5:00 pm Saturday, August 11th, 2012
The primitive settler’s log cabin, similar to that which James Fish may have built at the corner of Mapledale Avenue and West 25th in the year 1812.
Exterior Tour Guide
For those true historic architecture aficionados, we have prepared this list of additional Brooklyn Centre historic buildings that are not on the featured Interior Home Tour. This is by no means a complete list of all that the neighborhood has to offer, but can serve as an excellent guide to many fine buildings. Keep your eyes open as you go among addresses and don’t hesitate to go off on a route of your own making. There are truly “Urban Treasures” in every direction to explore.
3007 Archwood Avenue; 1898, Leonard Foster House 3107; 1898 3100; 1906, Weldon Davis House, Architect Charles Tousley 3101; 1871, Adam Poe House 3201; 1897, Nancy Tousley House, Architect Charles Tousley 3204; 1885, Eugene Hodges House 3304; 1901-2, William R. Coats House, Architect Frederick W. Striebinger 3325; 1899, Alonzo Hyre House, Architect Charles Tousley 3332; 1870, John Brewer House 3403; 1886, John A. Coates House 3415; 1891, Earnest Blake House 3603; 1894, Eurotus Bush House 3717; 1883, George A. Cook House 3811; 1897-98, Lowell Protzman House 4100-2; 1915, Louis Pogales House 4225; 1912, Anthony T. Horak House, Architect Huberty & Summerell 4301-07; 1906, Arline Terrace 1700 3636 Pearl Road; 1909, Binz Monument Works, Architect Ralph Hulett 3648; 1906, Third Church of Christ Science, Architect Frederick W. Striebinger 3706; 1917/9, Cleveland Public Library, Architect Ora Coltman 3723; 1894, Engine House No. 24, Architect John Dolman 3731; 1870, Diebold Mallo House 3764; 1904, Savings & Loan Building, Architect J. Milton Dyer 3794; 1892, Kerns Building 3804; 1932, Masonic Building, Architect Daniel Farnum 3815; c.1907 3855-7; 1892 3101 Riverside 3795 W.
to the historic Brooklyn Centre neighborhood! This special home tour is part of our Bi-Centennial Celebration. For many years, Brooklyn Centre neighborhood has remained a little-known gem within Cleveland. Today the residents of both historic districts — Brooklyn Centre and the new Jones Home National Historic District — open their doors and invite you to explore the architectural treasures they call home. Brooklyn Centre offers much to see, whether you are a longtime resident or a first-time visitor. Stroll the historic districts with your eyes open wide and notice the fine architectural and landscaping details throughout the neighborhood. You will see exquisite examples of several of the major architectural styles from the turn-of-thecentury, including Italianate, Queen Anne, and vernacular designs incorporating Colonial Revival, American Four Square
and other styles. Through years of dedication, local homeowners have been able to restore and preserve many of these wonderful homes. Restoration work continues and each year brings new investment, adding to the momentum that started nearly thirty years ago with the designation of the Brooklyn Centre Local and National Landmark Districts. Our community is proud to add the Jones Home area north of I-71 to the National Register of Historic Places this year. Although historically part of Brooklyn Centre, this portion of the neighborhood was divided from the main section of Brooklyn Centre in the 1960s due to the construction of the freeway. The new National Register designation provides this area of the neighborhood recognition that has been long deserved due to the significance and condition of the historic structures found there.
Also featured in this brochure is a listing of more than sixty additional properties (see page 10) that serve as a guide to the significant architecture within the historic Brooklyn Centre neighborhood.
22nd Street; c.1890
Enjoy your visit in Brooklyn Centre. Admire the beautiful interiors on tour. Participate in some of the other events featured during the Bi-Centennial Celebration this weekend. We hope you’ll come back to admire some of your favorite sites and will continue to explore all that this vibrant and distinctive neighborhood has to offer.
Cover Photo Theodore Towl House, 3505 Archwood Avenue
Denison Avenue; 1915, East Denison Elementary School,
Architect Walter McCornack 2017; 1899-1900, William A. Geist House 2118; 1870/1918, Wesley Trowbridge House/Mueller House 2200; c.1900 2310; 1874, Charles Kroehle House 2419; c.1860/c.1910, Bush General Store/Woodmen of the World (moved from 3837 Pearl) 3211; 1885, George Abbey House 3219; 1899, George Farnsworth House, Architect Charles Tousley 3303; 1899, Gustave Kroehle House, Architect Charles Tousley 3616; c.1885 3702; c.1890 4403; 1906 Claude Foster House 2322
3435-7 W. 33rd Street; 1901 3785; 1914 Frank A. Shepherd House, Architect Harlan M. Clark 3788; 1904, Emil Detlefs House 3868; 1883, Maria Miller House 3894; 1884, William C. Cope House 3859 W. 36th Street; c.1885 3870; c.1885/1920 exterior changes 3880-2; 1898, Architect Paul Matzinger 3890; 1895 Walter Ellenberger House 3902 W.
37th Street; Post turn-of-the-Century cottage 39th Street; c.1905, Terrace
3766-74 W. 3860 W.
Forestdale Avenue; c.1893
44th Street; 1924, Joseph Hosler House
2611-13 Mapledale Avenue; 1893, Jefferson Fish House (moved from 3704 Pearl Road) 3000; 1905, Fritz Bomonti House 3100; 1904, Burton Chapman House 3101; 1897/1900, Edwin Forbes House 3106; 1901, Laurence Kueth House 3115; 1904 3415; 1908, John Hintz House 3702; 1908, Adolph Mader House 10
3400 Virginia Avenue; 1904 3411; 1895 (1902 alteration of barn, moved from 3404 Archwood)
Note: Many of the original owners of the properties listed above are buried in family plots in Riverside Cemetery.
Thanks to all of our Bi-Centennial Sponsors:
Gas and Go - Mike A. Abuaun 3742 Fulton Rd., Cleveland 44019 216/351-1133 - cell: 216/308-6065 email@example.com Steel Valley Credit Union 3840 Pearl Rd., Cleveland 44109 216/741-9430 www.steelvalleyfcu.org Gino’s - CENTO ANNO 1314 Denison Ave., Cleveland 44109 Tavern: 216/351-9608 Cell: 440/915-0646 Brian J. Cummins Councilman, Ward 14 3167 Fulton Rd., Cleveland 44109 Office: 216/664-4238 firstname.lastname@example.org Howard Hanna - Mike Ladaika, Agent 1905 W 25th St., Cleveland 44113 Office: 216/696-4800 email@example.com Kehoe Brothers Printing - Thomas Kehoe, Sr. 910 West Schaaf Rd., Cleveland 44109 216/351-4100 kehoeprinting.com McDonalds 2500 Denison Ave., Cleveland 44109 216/741-0598 www.mcdonalds.com White Gold Management, LLC Congrats on 200 Years! August Garofoli John McCartney Joe Cimperman Councilman, Ward 3 601 Lakeside Ave., N.E. Cleveland 44114 Office: 216/664-2691 firstname.lastname@example.org
settled in 1812 as the first settlement west of the Cuyahoga River, in what is now the City of Cleveland. The village served as the center of Brooklyn Township. In 1818, the first church was founded in the hamlet. By the 1850s, manufacturing and merchandizing were well established, especially of shoes and leather. In 1867, the village of Brooklyn was incorporated, and it became a residential community of large homes built on spacious lots. Many of the original resi- The neighborhood has fine exdents were German immigrants. amples of Italianate, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and In 1894, this portion of Brook- other architectural styles. More lyn Township was annexed to modest, but still noteworthy verCleveland and the neighbor- nacular style houses further conhood grew rapidly. A commer- tribute to the neighborhood’s cial corridor developed along the architectural character. The Pearl Road streetcar line. Indus- neighborhood has many fine tries along the Cuyahoga River older churches, and even with helped further accelerate the new construction, has retained neighborhood’s growth. Turn- its character within the comof-the-century subdivisions mercial district. filled the remainder of the neighborhood as Cleveland ex- In 1984, the portion of Brookperienced rapid industrial and lyn Centre near Pearl Road and population growth. By 1915, Archwood Avenue was desthe neighborhood was largely ignated as a Cleveland Landdeveloped with several new mark Historic District. Secside streets displaying a much tions of Pearl Road, Denison denser housing pattern com- and Archwood Avenue were also pared to earlier development. listed on the National Register
Brooklyn Centre was originally
of Historic Places in 1987. In 2002, the Brooklyn Centre Landmark District was extended to the Lower Big Creek Valley. This year the Jones Home portion of Brooklyn Centre to the north of I-71was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since the late 1970s, the area has seen a stable increase in private investment (over $3.0 million) in the restoration of the neighborhood’s fine homes. In addition, significant commercial and institutional investment (over $12 million) in historically compatible new construction and development has added to the areas revitalization.
2800 Archwood, Archwood United Church of Christ - With its “Greek Temple” front façade
3000 Daisy - Built 1884 for William H. Powers,
and its soaring tower suggestive of Independence Hall in Philadelphia, the 1928-9 construction of this church exemplifies the Colonial Revival look that America had become so enamored with in the first quarter of the 20th century. It was designed by Daniel Farnam, who had long lived in the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood. Look for the panel carved in stone, removed from the previous (1879) church. This represents a likeness of James Sears, who was a deacon of this church and its oldest member when the previous church was being constructed.
although primarily Queen Anne in style, this house also exhibits features of the concurrently popular Stick style, such as the horizontal belt-course boards traversing the base of each floor, the vertical cornerboards positioned at every change in angle, and boards placed in both directions outlining each and every window.
2607 Archwood - Bethlehem Temple of Praise Church - Built 1911-4 as the Brooklyn Memorial
Methodist Episcopalian Church from plans supplied by an out-of-town architect, the overall exterior composition has more in common with church designs from roughly twenty years earlier. Of particular note is the grand rooftop ‘dome’, with its steep, gabled dormer windows. Inside, the ‘expandable’ “Akron Plan” was incorporated. The original congregation was founded in the fledgling Brooklyn settlement in 1818 and its first church was built in 1827 – both events taking place before Methodist Episcopalians founded a congregation and/or built a church in Cleveland proper.
3502 Library - Built in 1908 for Valentine Koehl, this house is an example of the Queen Anne style’s final phase. By 1900, this style had been dismissed by the ‘old-guard’ of the architectural profession as ‘passé’, but much of the conservative public still admired it. Various ‘low-brow’ firms – such as the Radford Architectural Company – provided many designs of this type, including ‘fancy’ examples like this, in houseplan catalogs that they published. A virtual twin of this house was built in 1907 in Lakewood. Note the triangle- and diamond-shaped windows, and the rows of tiny dentil moldings along the cornice of the frontporch roof and along the very top of the second floor. The original front-porch columns were round and slightly tapered, with Ionic capitals. 2700 Mapledale - The original house was built in 1840 for James Fish, at the same location the church next-door occupies, facing Pearl, before Mapledale Avenue existed. In the many years that have passed since then, not only was the house moved (and turned) in deference to the church, but it has been repeatedly remodeled , and not always in ways that complimented it, aesthetically. Exterior-wise, only the wide, low angle of the front gable recalls its ‘pioneer’ origins architecturally.
Frink, its mix of exterior materials, asymmetrical massing, and complex roof profiles, all clearly point to the Queen Anne style, although its plain, stout, Doric porch columns, “closed” gables, and absence of ornamentation, indicate a relatively early expression of influences of the Colonial Revival style.
3006 Archwood - Built 1892 for Washington
3340 Archwood - Built in 1871 for George Doubleday, this is a relatively reserved example of the Italianate style, although the wrap-around porch is an “extravagant” departure from the small ‘portico’ that was commonly built on houses of this style. Note the grand double front doors, with their ornamental iron inserts. The rear section of this house is a contemporary addition that is intentionally visually sympathetic to the original house.
3515 Archwood - Built 1895 for Welden Davis, designed by architect Charles Tousley. This is a late Queen Anne design with its most distinguishing feature being the octagonal tower with its broadly overhanging cap. The oriel window in the front gable is a contemporary addition, as is the attached garage made to look like a small barn. The iron fence is not original to this site.
1800 Denison - This house began with a circa-1890 construction for J. Jacob Hammer that most likely had a vernacular ‘farmhouse’ type of appearance. When John L. Stadler purchased the house in 1903, he had it significantly altered, adding the two full-height projections on the west side of the house, and replacing the front porch with this dignified example.
3407 Archwood - This relatively modest example
of the Queen Anne style was built in 1890 for John A. Coates. Note the tall, narrow windows and the shingled gables with the modillions under the gablereturns.
was constructed in 1896 from designs supplied by architect Charles Hopkinson. It is easily one of the most ‘picturesque’ buildings in all of Brooklyn Centre, with its gracefully sloping roof covered in Spanish tile, its tower, its broadly arcaded verandah, and distinctive dormer windows. Stylistically, it is mostly a Romanesque and Chateauesque hybrid. (chapel) Constructed in 1876 for the opening of the cemetery, its pointed-arch doorway and window openings, and various vertical architectural ornaments, ally it with the Gothic style, a mid-19th-century Americanization of a style originating in medieval Britain. In 1898, significant additions to the chapel were built from designs supplied by architects Steffens, Searles & Hirsh. The entire ‘carriage-port’ is among those additions, craftily executed to appear to have been built at the same time as the rest of the chapel.
3607 Pearl, Riverside Cemetery (office) - The superintendent’s office, close to the cemetery entrance,
3505 Archwood - This house was built in 1876 for engineer and surveyor Theodore Towl. In 1891, it became the residence of the last mayor of Brooklyn Village, Charles Selzer. With its low hipped roof, paired cornice brackets and other cornice embellishments, window-hood moldings, and projecting front portico, this house is a true “textbook” example of the Italianate style. The rooftop cupola, or belvidere, is a recent addition. This type of feature is historically appropriate to this style. This is one of a half-dozen Italianate houses found in this neighborhood, making for one of the most unique architectural ‘statements’ of the Brooklyn Centre Historic District.
2800 Archwood Avenue - Archwood United Church
of Christ, 1928-29 (fka Archwood Congregational Church), Architect Daniel Farnum.
Featured InterIor Home tour
JONES HOME HISTORIC DISTRICT
2607 Archwood Avenue - Bethlehem Temple of Praise
Church, 1911-14, (fka Brooklyn Memorial United Methodist Church).
3006 Archwood Avenue - Washington Fink House, 1892.
Queen Anne style with early expression of influences of the Colonial Revival style.
4 5 6
3340 Archwood Avenue - George Doubleday House, 1871.
Relatively reserved example of the Italianate style.
3407/09 Archwood Avenue - John A. Coates House, c. 1890.
Modest example of the Queen Anne style.
3505 Archwood Avenue - Theodore Towl House, 1876
(in 1891 became the residence of the last mayor of Brooklyn Village, Charles Selzer). True “textbook” example of the Italianate style.
3515 Archwood Avenue - Welden Davis House, 1895,
Architect Charles Tousley. Late Queen Anne design featuring an octagonal tower with broadly overhanging cap.
B ROOKLYN CENTRE HISTORIC DISTRICT
1800 Denison Avenue - J. Jacob Hammer House, c. 1890
with significant alterations made in 1903.
3607 Pearl Road - Riverside Cemetery Office, 1896,
Architect Charles Hopkinson. Stylistically, it is mostly a Romanesque and Chateauesque hybrid.
10 3607 Pearl Road - Riverside Cemetery Chapel, 1876. Gothic style with significant additions made in 1898, Architects Steffens, Searles & Hirsh. 11 3000 Daisy Avenue - William H. Powers House, 1884. Queen Anne with features of Stick style. 12 3502 Library Avenue - Valentine Koehl House, 1908, Queen Anne style. 13 2700 Mapledale Avenue - James Fish House, 1840, originally built on the lot next door facing Pear Road, turned and placed on Mapledale Avenue. Undergone various alterations.
Notes: Narrative descriptions and historical research by Craig Bobby. For professional research services call 216/228-9608. Neighborhood history sourced from Reflections from Brooklyn Centre: Presentations and Oral Histories from The Brooklyn Centre Historical Society, 2004. For more information see www.brooklyncentre.com/wiki