You are on page 1of 6

r

[Cover Story, continued from page 1]


issue 3
Questions and Answers: In the ongoing organization effort, position descriptions for j u ly 2002
Staff Gathers for All-Hands Meeting new positions will be drafted, and editorial changes will be made
Judith Nierman ” Organization to existing position descriptions. By the end of June, these posi-
tions will be “preclassified” by a position classification specialist Interview with Victor Holmes
Team in Human Resources Services (HRS). During the pre-classifi-

Q&
Copyright Office staff members attended an All-Hands Meeting cation process, the specialist validates that the factor analysis for Answer Request Team’s
on June 13. The meeting focused on providing an update on the What will a “team” look like in the each job description is consistent with the major duties listed. In Process Recommendations
status of the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) project. Staff Registration Divisions? Will the Organization Team redesign doing so, the proposed grade of the position is also validated.
Director Robert Dizard opened up the meeting for Register of A team of approximately ten people will supervisory and management positions?  The position descriptions will then become part of a reorganiza- Developing IT Solutions
Copyrights Marybeth Peters, who was unable to attend because consist of a support technician, a techni- The Organization Team redesigned most tion package that will be submitted to HRS for approval.
she was testifying before the Committee on the Judiciary, Subcom- cian, an examiner, a cataloger, possibly a of the positions within each division, in- Close to 200 staff members have participated in the teams Q&A: Organization Team
mittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property, at a hear- registration specialist, a nonsupervisory cluding supervisory and some managerial or acted as resources to help accomplish all these milestones in
ing on the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) process. team lead, and a supervisor. positions. accordance with the BPR project schedule. This summer the Of- c opyright offic e r e e n g i n e e r i n g u p dat e
Dizard provided an update on the budget, mail, and backlog reduc- fice will continue to move forward with reengineering by work-
tion efforts. BPR Project Manager Julia Huff and Information and Will tagging be moved to the 5th floor? What does the Team mean by “bridges ing toward new milestones contained in an integrated implemen-
Reference Division Chief Jim Cole provided an update on the No. The tagging function will occur in the and career paths”? tation plan that will address the continued implementation of
Office’s ongoing BPR project. Automation and Technical Planning individual processing areas and will be in- One of the original reengineering team the processes, organization, facilities, and technology. Ô
Group Chief Mike Burke presented an update on the status of the cluded in multiple position descriptions. design principles is to increase the op- Reengineering Implementation
information technology requirements analysis. portunity for staff career development.
Staff learned that plans for design of the proposed organiza- When can staff see the new job
descriptions?
The current Copyright Office structure
FY- 02 Activity — Process
Milestones Achieved
tion are on target to be completed in the next few weeks. The is functional. Consequently, staff have
Julia Huff
proposed new Office organization features seven divisions, in- The BPR Team is working with each divi- become “specialized” and cannot move
Team Process Procedures Quick
cluding three designated for registration. The proposed Registra- sion manager to review position descrip- easily into other work areas or divisions Meetings Maps Manual Hits
tion Divisions are organized by subject matter and include the tions. After review, they will be sent to a for new career opportunities. The rede- The first phase of the BPR implementation is complete, and the work products repre-
current examining and cataloging functions, with the exception LC classifier for classification. Staff will sign addresses this issue through posi- sent an ambitious accomplishment. The six BPR process implementation teams began
of documents. These three divisions will be overseen and coordi- then be provided with a copy of the posi- tion structure and cross training,
Receive July–Sept ✓ ✓ ✓ working in October 2001 to define the detailed processes. By June 5 all had presented
Mail
nated by a registration program director or equivalent. tion description for the job they currently thereby providing more opportunities their respective procedures manuals to the Steering Committee. The chart at the end of
The proposed Information and Records Division consists of occupy or the job most similar. A staff for staff to move across work units and Maintain Aug–Oct ✓ ✓ ✓ this article presents the milestones the teams achieved over the past 8 months.
the current Information and Reference functions within the ex- member is also entitled to a copy of a po- divisions for career development. The Accounts Each procedures manual documents the steps that staff will
isting sections and will include the Documents Recordation Sec- sition description when applying for a redesign creates a more flexible environ- follow in their daily activities. The manuals provide information
tion, which will transfer from the current Cataloging Division. posted position. ment with opportunities for staff to Register Oct–Apr ✓ ✓ ✓ based on the use of new technology and are intended to cover
The proposed Receipt, Analysis, and Control (RAC) Division move both laterally and vertically. Claim both the use of hard copy and electronic submissions. Addition-
Can staff apply for positions in divisions Inside
includes most activities within the current Receiving and Pro- ally, they will serve both as a reference for the contractors who will
cessing Division. The proposed RAC Division includes three they do not currently work in? Since positions will change, does the Acquire Oct–Jan ✓ ✓ ✓ Julia Huff, Robert Dizard, Jim Cole, and Mike Burke build the new information systems and as a guide for pilot projects
Team envision that individuals will be Deposit
sections: Accounts, In-processing, and Out-processing. Some Yes. Staff from one division may apply for present information at June’s All-Hands Meeting. when the new systems are ready. The manuals, which incorporate
duties of the Materials Control Section have been dispersed to posted positions in other divisions. able to acquire the skills needed? ” See page 5 Steering Committee comments, are available on the Copyright
other divisions. Yes. The Organization Team has devel-
Answer Request Feb–May ✓ ✓ ✓ Office staff BPR site (www.loc.gov/staff/copyright).
(includes OSPs)
The Copyright Acquisitions Division’s work units will be Tech- What is the purpose of the Skills oped a high-level training plan to address On another BPR front, the BPR Organization Team, which
nical Processing and Acquisitions to delineate workflow clearly. Assessment and Training Plan? any skill gaps between current knowl- began work in October 2001, worked with six additional teams
Record Apr–June ✓ ✓ ✓
Changes are proposed not only to the division structure but The BPR Organization Team conducted edge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) and Document of staff and managers to redesign the work unit structures for
also to work units and job roles within each division. The new a Skills Gap Assessment over the past KSAs needed in the new organization. each process and to create the job roles that these new processes
organization will allow enhanced career opportunities through year. The team looked at the knowledge, The Register will appoint an Organiza- require. By June 12, the work unit structures for each process had
cross-training and rotational duties. skills, and abilities (KSAs) for current job tion Coordinator to develop and imple- been presented to the Steering Committee. The high-level orga-
A lively question-and-answer session followed the formal roles and the KSAs of proposed job roles, ment training outlined in the training nization proposal for the Office, which actually outlined the pro-
presentations. The questions, and their answers, included: and determined where any gaps existed. plan. The training plan will not identify posed division structure, was presented to the Steering Commit-
The team then designed a high-level
training plan to cover these gaps. Staff
will receive the skills, training, and coach-
ing support they need to perform success-
individual staff training needs or inter-
ests but will look at specific job posi-
tions and identify what training staff
need in order to perform job duties in
s reengineering update

Published by the Publications Section [lm-455],


tee on June 12 and to the staff at an All Hands meeting on June
13. Next month’s ReNews will feature a detailed article on the
proposed organization structure.
Information and Reference Division,
fully under the new structure. Ô the new environment. Ô Copyright Office, Library of Congress photo by charles gibbons [Continues on back panel]

Publications Staff
Writer ⁄ Editors · Judith Nierman, 707-6816; Ruth Sievers, 707-9168
s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s
Designer ⁄ Photographer · Charles Gibbons, 707-3313
ReNews Interview with Victor Holmes
Answer Request Team Presents
Work Progresses on
Receive Mail Has Process Recommendations
the IT Front
Mike Burke
Expanded Operation
Another major task was completed in the reengineering effort
Ruth Sievers
on May 29 when the Answer Request Implementation Team pre-
In the March issue of Copyright Notices, the functional specifica- sented to the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) Steering
tions that are “deliverable 4” of the information technology (IT) Receive Mail Process Owner Victor Holmes, assistant chief of Committee the process redesign recommendations, a draft pro-
requirements analysis were described. PricewaterhouseCoopers the Receiving and Processing Division, spoke to ReNews about cedures manual, and a high-level organization design for the An- The team also recommended “quick
(PwC) worked diligently to present deliverable 4 to the IT Over- the Receive Mail process and how it might look when Business swer Request (AR) process. The AR process includes responding hits” to consider for implementation now
sight Group (ITOG) the end of June. A portion of the report Process Reengineering (BPR) is implemented. to requests for information or materials, conducting biblio- even before the new process is fully un-
was provided to the ITOG members on May 23 for comment. He offered, however, the following caveat: that, while Receive cept in temporary storage. If correspon- graphic and missing element searches, preparing additional derway. The process owner, Jim Cole, is
Following the format provided with the original statement of Mail was the first of the processes to begin work on its proce- dence is required for a service request, certificates, preparing certified and noncertified deposit copies, currently assessing these quick hits. The
work, PwC organized the report by logical system components, dures manual, the manual has gone through a number of revi- scanned images will be linked and will and conducting inspections of copyright materials. AR Team quick hit recommendations are:
the “tools” required by the business processes, and by the events sions, with the most recent version dated May 23. take the place of what is now the UB, the Comprised of Copyright Office staff, Library of Congress Li-
• Create an “Ask a Question About
or subprocesses that require invocation of the “tools.” “And I expect more changes,” he said. “Other processes are unfinished business file.” brary Services staff, and representatives from labor organiza-
Copyright” section to the current
The functional specifications will be the foundation for the still finishing their work, and what they do can impact us.” There also will be no short fee unit, tions, the AR Implementation Team was formed in February
Copyright Office website (in process)
statement of objectives for the succeeding development con- “××A monstrous operation” is how Victor characterized Receive because applications will continue to 2002. The team met twice a week from February through May
tracts. While they need to be compatible, the logical system Mail. “It will do everything currently happening in the Receipt move forward, even if the fee is short. If to develop detailed process maps and to write a comprehensive • Consider a questions web page in the
components are independent pieces that will facilitate concur- Analysis Control Center (RACC ) and almost everything in the correspondence is required later, the procedures manual that documents the steps AR staff will per- “Ask Jeeves®” model, where a member
rent development. The prime contractor will also be responsible whole of the Materials Control (MC) Section—including certifi- short fee request will be made then. Oth- form in their daily activities. The team met with stakeholders of the public can type in a question
for integrating the components and ensuring that they work cate production, incomplete claims handling (the current ICHA), erwise, the request will be automatically from the Copyright Office and Library Services to hear their and be prompted by the website to
with the database and workflow management components as various kinds of searching, and motion picture handling—as well generated. concerns. After 4 months of dedicated work, the team presented explore a preprinted list of topics re-
well as with each other. as temporary storage.” Almost all outgoing mail, including let- its redesign recommendations at a meeting with the stakehold- lated to copyright that matches their
Development of the solutions will follow generally accepted Receive Mail will scan all incoming mail. Claims will be di- ters and reports that now are generated, ers, and then to the BPR Steering Committee. Highlights of the question
system life cycle phases. For each required process there will be rected to scanning stations by type of material, which will be in- for example, in the correspondence units recommendations of the AR Team include: • Submit all requests for stored retrieval
an analysis phase during which the developer will study the find- dicated on the mail address, most likely by a zip code extension. of the Examining Division or in the Ref- of documents at Landover and Iron
• Operate using a paperless workflow that does not include the
ings from the requirements analysis and refine them through “Except for the deposit, almost everything will be scanned up erence and Bibliography Section, will be Mountain over the Internet (partially
use of paper forms
more detailed analysis and discovery. This will be followed by a front—the check, the application, and most correspondence. An processed in the Receive Mail print room complete)
design phase to match the requirements with either off-the-shelf online record will be created, and that is what will go to Register operation. They may originate electroni- • Allow requesters to submit service requests via the Internet
• Hold all re-files for Landover at Madi-
or custom software or some combination of the two, all of which Claims, plus the deposit. The check will be forwarded to Main- cally in other areas, but they will be • Assign work through electronic queues and include any im- son for weekly transfer of deposits
Upcoming must be compatible with the Library’s data center environment. tain Accounts,” he said. “There will be no paper applications, ex- printed and processed for mailing in Re- aged material related to a request (usually done on Friday)

July Events
” Small group
meetings for each
division TBA
Following the design will be first the building, buying, and ⁄ or modi-
fying of the software and then the testing and implementation.
PwC is also preparing a report of op-
tions for hardware and software solutions.
The report will provide the information
ceive Mail, along with the certificates of
registration, which also will be electroni-
cally created. There will be no more feed-
ing of applications into copying machines.
In the reorganization, Receive Mail will
• Access claim information online
• Scan AR-related requests at time of walk-in submission
• Allow the public to submit any service request from the Pub-
lic Information Office (PIO) instead of having to walk to an-
• Gradually expand the use of email to
respond to requests
• Create an online version of the tele-
phone sheet for PIO staff to send to
other part of the Office the Materials Control Section
about the technology that is available, be a major part of a division called the Re-
some already present in the Library’s data ceipt, Analysis, and Control Division. In addition to outlining the specific steps staff will perform in Comments from the BPR Steering
center environment, such as Oracle and “The job roles have been developed to the AR process, the procedures manual includes an appendix Committee on each of the documents
Voyager, and some that would need to be accomplish the multifaceted duties and with design principles for a Copyright Office website where us- presented were due on June 7. After a
purchased, such as a workflow manage- address one of the more common con- ers can initiate copyright-related requests. The appendix also in- comprehensive review of all comments is
ment system. The selected options will cerns of most Office staff, the inability to cludes a glossary of redesign terms, a list of procedural resources, completed, the team will update the
form the technical reference model that move to different positions laterally or and a vision document on the new PIO. manual and prepare responses to the
contractors will use to propose IT between divisions,” said Victor. “It’s an comments. The revised manual with
solutions. Ô exciting future, and I’m confident that policy recommendations will be pre-
photo by christine minnick
the new processes will be both satisfying sented to the Register’s Conference for
and challenging.” Ô discussion and approval. Ô

s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s


ReNews Interview with Victor Holmes
Answer Request Team Presents
Work Progresses on
Receive Mail Has Process Recommendations
the IT Front
Mike Burke
Expanded Operation
Another major task was completed in the reengineering effort
Ruth Sievers
on May 29 when the Answer Request Implementation Team pre-
In the March issue of Copyright Notices, the functional specifica- sented to the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) Steering
tions that are “deliverable 4” of the information technology (IT) Receive Mail Process Owner Victor Holmes, assistant chief of Committee the process redesign recommendations, a draft pro-
requirements analysis were described. PricewaterhouseCoopers the Receiving and Processing Division, spoke to ReNews about cedures manual, and a high-level organization design for the An- The team also recommended “quick
(PwC) worked diligently to present deliverable 4 to the IT Over- the Receive Mail process and how it might look when Business swer Request (AR) process. The AR process includes responding hits” to consider for implementation now
sight Group (ITOG) the end of June. A portion of the report Process Reengineering (BPR) is implemented. to requests for information or materials, conducting biblio- even before the new process is fully un-
was provided to the ITOG members on May 23 for comment. He offered, however, the following caveat: that, while Receive cept in temporary storage. If correspon- graphic and missing element searches, preparing additional derway. The process owner, Jim Cole, is
Following the format provided with the original statement of Mail was the first of the processes to begin work on its proce- dence is required for a service request, certificates, preparing certified and noncertified deposit copies, currently assessing these quick hits. The
work, PwC organized the report by logical system components, dures manual, the manual has gone through a number of revi- scanned images will be linked and will and conducting inspections of copyright materials. AR Team quick hit recommendations are:
the “tools” required by the business processes, and by the events sions, with the most recent version dated May 23. take the place of what is now the UB, the Comprised of Copyright Office staff, Library of Congress Li-
• Create an “Ask a Question About
or subprocesses that require invocation of the “tools.” “And I expect more changes,” he said. “Other processes are unfinished business file.” brary Services staff, and representatives from labor organiza-
Copyright” section to the current
The functional specifications will be the foundation for the still finishing their work, and what they do can impact us.” There also will be no short fee unit, tions, the AR Implementation Team was formed in February
Copyright Office website (in process)
statement of objectives for the succeeding development con- “××A monstrous operation” is how Victor characterized Receive because applications will continue to 2002. The team met twice a week from February through May
tracts. While they need to be compatible, the logical system Mail. “It will do everything currently happening in the Receipt move forward, even if the fee is short. If to develop detailed process maps and to write a comprehensive • Consider a questions web page in the
components are independent pieces that will facilitate concur- Analysis Control Center (RACC ) and almost everything in the correspondence is required later, the procedures manual that documents the steps AR staff will per- “Ask Jeeves®” model, where a member
rent development. The prime contractor will also be responsible whole of the Materials Control (MC) Section—including certifi- short fee request will be made then. Oth- form in their daily activities. The team met with stakeholders of the public can type in a question
for integrating the components and ensuring that they work cate production, incomplete claims handling (the current ICHA), erwise, the request will be automatically from the Copyright Office and Library Services to hear their and be prompted by the website to
with the database and workflow management components as various kinds of searching, and motion picture handling—as well generated. concerns. After 4 months of dedicated work, the team presented explore a preprinted list of topics re-
well as with each other. as temporary storage.” Almost all outgoing mail, including let- its redesign recommendations at a meeting with the stakehold- lated to copyright that matches their
Development of the solutions will follow generally accepted Receive Mail will scan all incoming mail. Claims will be di- ters and reports that now are generated, ers, and then to the BPR Steering Committee. Highlights of the question
system life cycle phases. For each required process there will be rected to scanning stations by type of material, which will be in- for example, in the correspondence units recommendations of the AR Team include: • Submit all requests for stored retrieval
an analysis phase during which the developer will study the find- dicated on the mail address, most likely by a zip code extension. of the Examining Division or in the Ref- of documents at Landover and Iron
• Operate using a paperless workflow that does not include the
ings from the requirements analysis and refine them through “Except for the deposit, almost everything will be scanned up erence and Bibliography Section, will be Mountain over the Internet (partially
use of paper forms
more detailed analysis and discovery. This will be followed by a front—the check, the application, and most correspondence. An processed in the Receive Mail print room complete)
design phase to match the requirements with either off-the-shelf online record will be created, and that is what will go to Register operation. They may originate electroni- • Allow requesters to submit service requests via the Internet
• Hold all re-files for Landover at Madi-
or custom software or some combination of the two, all of which Claims, plus the deposit. The check will be forwarded to Main- cally in other areas, but they will be • Assign work through electronic queues and include any im- son for weekly transfer of deposits
Upcoming must be compatible with the Library’s data center environment. tain Accounts,” he said. “There will be no paper applications, ex- printed and processed for mailing in Re- aged material related to a request (usually done on Friday)

July Events
” Small group
meetings for each
division TBA
Following the design will be first the building, buying, and ⁄ or modi-
fying of the software and then the testing and implementation.
PwC is also preparing a report of op-
tions for hardware and software solutions.
The report will provide the information
ceive Mail, along with the certificates of
registration, which also will be electroni-
cally created. There will be no more feed-
ing of applications into copying machines.
In the reorganization, Receive Mail will
• Access claim information online
• Scan AR-related requests at time of walk-in submission
• Allow the public to submit any service request from the Pub-
lic Information Office (PIO) instead of having to walk to an-
• Gradually expand the use of email to
respond to requests
• Create an online version of the tele-
phone sheet for PIO staff to send to
other part of the Office the Materials Control Section
about the technology that is available, be a major part of a division called the Re-
some already present in the Library’s data ceipt, Analysis, and Control Division. In addition to outlining the specific steps staff will perform in Comments from the BPR Steering
center environment, such as Oracle and “The job roles have been developed to the AR process, the procedures manual includes an appendix Committee on each of the documents
Voyager, and some that would need to be accomplish the multifaceted duties and with design principles for a Copyright Office website where us- presented were due on June 7. After a
purchased, such as a workflow manage- address one of the more common con- ers can initiate copyright-related requests. The appendix also in- comprehensive review of all comments is
ment system. The selected options will cerns of most Office staff, the inability to cludes a glossary of redesign terms, a list of procedural resources, completed, the team will update the
form the technical reference model that move to different positions laterally or and a vision document on the new PIO. manual and prepare responses to the
contractors will use to propose IT between divisions,” said Victor. “It’s an comments. The revised manual with
solutions. Ô exciting future, and I’m confident that policy recommendations will be pre-
photo by christine minnick
the new processes will be both satisfying sented to the Register’s Conference for
and challenging.” Ô discussion and approval. Ô

s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s


ReNews Interview with Victor Holmes
Answer Request Team Presents
Work Progresses on
Receive Mail Has Process Recommendations
the IT Front
Mike Burke
Expanded Operation
Another major task was completed in the reengineering effort
Ruth Sievers
on May 29 when the Answer Request Implementation Team pre-
In the March issue of Copyright Notices, the functional specifica- sented to the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) Steering
tions that are “deliverable 4” of the information technology (IT) Receive Mail Process Owner Victor Holmes, assistant chief of Committee the process redesign recommendations, a draft pro-
requirements analysis were described. PricewaterhouseCoopers the Receiving and Processing Division, spoke to ReNews about cedures manual, and a high-level organization design for the An- The team also recommended “quick
(PwC) worked diligently to present deliverable 4 to the IT Over- the Receive Mail process and how it might look when Business swer Request (AR) process. The AR process includes responding hits” to consider for implementation now
sight Group (ITOG) the end of June. A portion of the report Process Reengineering (BPR) is implemented. to requests for information or materials, conducting biblio- even before the new process is fully un-
was provided to the ITOG members on May 23 for comment. He offered, however, the following caveat: that, while Receive cept in temporary storage. If correspon- graphic and missing element searches, preparing additional derway. The process owner, Jim Cole, is
Following the format provided with the original statement of Mail was the first of the processes to begin work on its proce- dence is required for a service request, certificates, preparing certified and noncertified deposit copies, currently assessing these quick hits. The
work, PwC organized the report by logical system components, dures manual, the manual has gone through a number of revi- scanned images will be linked and will and conducting inspections of copyright materials. AR Team quick hit recommendations are:
the “tools” required by the business processes, and by the events sions, with the most recent version dated May 23. take the place of what is now the UB, the Comprised of Copyright Office staff, Library of Congress Li-
• Create an “Ask a Question About
or subprocesses that require invocation of the “tools.” “And I expect more changes,” he said. “Other processes are unfinished business file.” brary Services staff, and representatives from labor organiza-
Copyright” section to the current
The functional specifications will be the foundation for the still finishing their work, and what they do can impact us.” There also will be no short fee unit, tions, the AR Implementation Team was formed in February
Copyright Office website (in process)
statement of objectives for the succeeding development con- “××A monstrous operation” is how Victor characterized Receive because applications will continue to 2002. The team met twice a week from February through May
tracts. While they need to be compatible, the logical system Mail. “It will do everything currently happening in the Receipt move forward, even if the fee is short. If to develop detailed process maps and to write a comprehensive • Consider a questions web page in the
components are independent pieces that will facilitate concur- Analysis Control Center (RACC ) and almost everything in the correspondence is required later, the procedures manual that documents the steps AR staff will per- “Ask Jeeves®” model, where a member
rent development. The prime contractor will also be responsible whole of the Materials Control (MC) Section—including certifi- short fee request will be made then. Oth- form in their daily activities. The team met with stakeholders of the public can type in a question
for integrating the components and ensuring that they work cate production, incomplete claims handling (the current ICHA), erwise, the request will be automatically from the Copyright Office and Library Services to hear their and be prompted by the website to
with the database and workflow management components as various kinds of searching, and motion picture handling—as well generated. concerns. After 4 months of dedicated work, the team presented explore a preprinted list of topics re-
well as with each other. as temporary storage.” Almost all outgoing mail, including let- its redesign recommendations at a meeting with the stakehold- lated to copyright that matches their
Development of the solutions will follow generally accepted Receive Mail will scan all incoming mail. Claims will be di- ters and reports that now are generated, ers, and then to the BPR Steering Committee. Highlights of the question
system life cycle phases. For each required process there will be rected to scanning stations by type of material, which will be in- for example, in the correspondence units recommendations of the AR Team include: • Submit all requests for stored retrieval
an analysis phase during which the developer will study the find- dicated on the mail address, most likely by a zip code extension. of the Examining Division or in the Ref- of documents at Landover and Iron
• Operate using a paperless workflow that does not include the
ings from the requirements analysis and refine them through “Except for the deposit, almost everything will be scanned up erence and Bibliography Section, will be Mountain over the Internet (partially
use of paper forms
more detailed analysis and discovery. This will be followed by a front—the check, the application, and most correspondence. An processed in the Receive Mail print room complete)
design phase to match the requirements with either off-the-shelf online record will be created, and that is what will go to Register operation. They may originate electroni- • Allow requesters to submit service requests via the Internet
• Hold all re-files for Landover at Madi-
or custom software or some combination of the two, all of which Claims, plus the deposit. The check will be forwarded to Main- cally in other areas, but they will be • Assign work through electronic queues and include any im- son for weekly transfer of deposits
Upcoming must be compatible with the Library’s data center environment. tain Accounts,” he said. “There will be no paper applications, ex- printed and processed for mailing in Re- aged material related to a request (usually done on Friday)

July Events
” Small group
meetings for each
division TBA
Following the design will be first the building, buying, and ⁄ or modi-
fying of the software and then the testing and implementation.
PwC is also preparing a report of op-
tions for hardware and software solutions.
The report will provide the information
ceive Mail, along with the certificates of
registration, which also will be electroni-
cally created. There will be no more feed-
ing of applications into copying machines.
In the reorganization, Receive Mail will
• Access claim information online
• Scan AR-related requests at time of walk-in submission
• Allow the public to submit any service request from the Pub-
lic Information Office (PIO) instead of having to walk to an-
• Gradually expand the use of email to
respond to requests
• Create an online version of the tele-
phone sheet for PIO staff to send to
other part of the Office the Materials Control Section
about the technology that is available, be a major part of a division called the Re-
some already present in the Library’s data ceipt, Analysis, and Control Division. In addition to outlining the specific steps staff will perform in Comments from the BPR Steering
center environment, such as Oracle and “The job roles have been developed to the AR process, the procedures manual includes an appendix Committee on each of the documents
Voyager, and some that would need to be accomplish the multifaceted duties and with design principles for a Copyright Office website where us- presented were due on June 7. After a
purchased, such as a workflow manage- address one of the more common con- ers can initiate copyright-related requests. The appendix also in- comprehensive review of all comments is
ment system. The selected options will cerns of most Office staff, the inability to cludes a glossary of redesign terms, a list of procedural resources, completed, the team will update the
form the technical reference model that move to different positions laterally or and a vision document on the new PIO. manual and prepare responses to the
contractors will use to propose IT between divisions,” said Victor. “It’s an comments. The revised manual with
solutions. Ô exciting future, and I’m confident that policy recommendations will be pre-
photo by christine minnick
the new processes will be both satisfying sented to the Register’s Conference for
and challenging.” Ô discussion and approval. Ô

s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s


r
[Cover Story, continued from page 1]
issue 3
Questions and Answers: In the ongoing organization effort, position descriptions for j u ly 2002
Staff Gathers for All-Hands Meeting new positions will be drafted, and editorial changes will be made
Judith Nierman ” Organization to existing position descriptions. By the end of June, these posi-
tions will be “preclassified” by a position classification specialist Interview with Victor Holmes
Team in Human Resources Services (HRS). During the pre-classifi-

Q&
Copyright Office staff members attended an All-Hands Meeting cation process, the specialist validates that the factor analysis for Answer Request Team’s
on June 13. The meeting focused on providing an update on the What will a “team” look like in the each job description is consistent with the major duties listed. In Process Recommendations
status of the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) project. Staff Registration Divisions? Will the Organization Team redesign doing so, the proposed grade of the position is also validated.
Director Robert Dizard opened up the meeting for Register of A team of approximately ten people will supervisory and management positions?  The position descriptions will then become part of a reorganiza- Developing IT Solutions
Copyrights Marybeth Peters, who was unable to attend because consist of a support technician, a techni- The Organization Team redesigned most tion package that will be submitted to HRS for approval.
she was testifying before the Committee on the Judiciary, Subcom- cian, an examiner, a cataloger, possibly a of the positions within each division, in- Close to 200 staff members have participated in the teams Q&A: Organization Team
mittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property, at a hear- registration specialist, a nonsupervisory cluding supervisory and some managerial or acted as resources to help accomplish all these milestones in
ing on the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) process. team lead, and a supervisor. positions. accordance with the BPR project schedule. This summer the Of- c opyright offic e r e e n g i n e e r i n g u p dat e
Dizard provided an update on the budget, mail, and backlog reduc- fice will continue to move forward with reengineering by work-
tion efforts. BPR Project Manager Julia Huff and Information and Will tagging be moved to the 5th floor? What does the Team mean by “bridges ing toward new milestones contained in an integrated implemen-
Reference Division Chief Jim Cole provided an update on the No. The tagging function will occur in the and career paths”? tation plan that will address the continued implementation of
Office’s ongoing BPR project. Automation and Technical Planning individual processing areas and will be in- One of the original reengineering team the processes, organization, facilities, and technology. Ô
Group Chief Mike Burke presented an update on the status of the cluded in multiple position descriptions. design principles is to increase the op- Reengineering Implementation
information technology requirements analysis. portunity for staff career development.
Staff learned that plans for design of the proposed organiza- When can staff see the new job
descriptions?
The current Copyright Office structure
FY- 02 Activity — Process
Milestones Achieved
tion are on target to be completed in the next few weeks. The is functional. Consequently, staff have
Julia Huff
proposed new Office organization features seven divisions, in- The BPR Team is working with each divi- become “specialized” and cannot move
Team Process Procedures Quick
cluding three designated for registration. The proposed Registra- sion manager to review position descrip- easily into other work areas or divisions Meetings Maps Manual Hits
tion Divisions are organized by subject matter and include the tions. After review, they will be sent to a for new career opportunities. The rede- The first phase of the BPR implementation is complete, and the work products repre-
current examining and cataloging functions, with the exception LC classifier for classification. Staff will sign addresses this issue through posi- sent an ambitious accomplishment. The six BPR process implementation teams began
of documents. These three divisions will be overseen and coordi- then be provided with a copy of the posi- tion structure and cross training,
Receive July–Sept ✓ ✓ ✓ working in October 2001 to define the detailed processes. By June 5 all had presented
Mail
nated by a registration program director or equivalent. tion description for the job they currently thereby providing more opportunities their respective procedures manuals to the Steering Committee. The chart at the end of
The proposed Information and Records Division consists of occupy or the job most similar. A staff for staff to move across work units and Maintain Aug–Oct ✓ ✓ ✓ this article presents the milestones the teams achieved over the past 8 months.
the current Information and Reference functions within the ex- member is also entitled to a copy of a po- divisions for career development. The Accounts Each procedures manual documents the steps that staff will
isting sections and will include the Documents Recordation Sec- sition description when applying for a redesign creates a more flexible environ- follow in their daily activities. The manuals provide information
tion, which will transfer from the current Cataloging Division. posted position. ment with opportunities for staff to Register Oct–Apr ✓ ✓ ✓ based on the use of new technology and are intended to cover
The proposed Receipt, Analysis, and Control (RAC) Division move both laterally and vertically. Claim both the use of hard copy and electronic submissions. Addition-
Can staff apply for positions in divisions Inside
includes most activities within the current Receiving and Pro- ally, they will serve both as a reference for the contractors who will
cessing Division. The proposed RAC Division includes three they do not currently work in? Since positions will change, does the Acquire Oct–Jan ✓ ✓ ✓ Julia Huff, Robert Dizard, Jim Cole, and Mike Burke build the new information systems and as a guide for pilot projects
Team envision that individuals will be Deposit
sections: Accounts, In-processing, and Out-processing. Some Yes. Staff from one division may apply for present information at June’s All-Hands Meeting. when the new systems are ready. The manuals, which incorporate
duties of the Materials Control Section have been dispersed to posted positions in other divisions. able to acquire the skills needed? ” See page 5 Steering Committee comments, are available on the Copyright
other divisions. Yes. The Organization Team has devel-
Answer Request Feb–May ✓ ✓ ✓ Office staff BPR site (www.loc.gov/staff/copyright).
(includes OSPs)
The Copyright Acquisitions Division’s work units will be Tech- What is the purpose of the Skills oped a high-level training plan to address On another BPR front, the BPR Organization Team, which
nical Processing and Acquisitions to delineate workflow clearly. Assessment and Training Plan? any skill gaps between current knowl- began work in October 2001, worked with six additional teams
Record Apr–June ✓ ✓ ✓
Changes are proposed not only to the division structure but The BPR Organization Team conducted edge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) and Document of staff and managers to redesign the work unit structures for
also to work units and job roles within each division. The new a Skills Gap Assessment over the past KSAs needed in the new organization. each process and to create the job roles that these new processes
organization will allow enhanced career opportunities through year. The team looked at the knowledge, The Register will appoint an Organiza- require. By June 12, the work unit structures for each process had
cross-training and rotational duties. skills, and abilities (KSAs) for current job tion Coordinator to develop and imple- been presented to the Steering Committee. The high-level orga-
A lively question-and-answer session followed the formal roles and the KSAs of proposed job roles, ment training outlined in the training nization proposal for the Office, which actually outlined the pro-
presentations. The questions, and their answers, included: and determined where any gaps existed. plan. The training plan will not identify posed division structure, was presented to the Steering Commit-
The team then designed a high-level
training plan to cover these gaps. Staff
will receive the skills, training, and coach-
ing support they need to perform success-
individual staff training needs or inter-
ests but will look at specific job posi-
tions and identify what training staff
need in order to perform job duties in
s reengineering update

Published by the Publications Section [lm-455],


tee on June 12 and to the staff at an All Hands meeting on June
13. Next month’s ReNews will feature a detailed article on the
proposed organization structure.
Information and Reference Division,
fully under the new structure. Ô the new environment. Ô Copyright Office, Library of Congress photo by charles gibbons [Continues on back panel]

Publications Staff
Writer ⁄ Editors · Judith Nierman, 707-6816; Ruth Sievers, 707-9168
s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s
Designer ⁄ Photographer · Charles Gibbons, 707-3313
r
[Cover Story, continued from page 1]
issue 3
Questions and Answers: In the ongoing organization effort, position descriptions for j u ly 2002
Staff Gathers for All-Hands Meeting new positions will be drafted, and editorial changes will be made
Judith Nierman ” Organization to existing position descriptions. By the end of June, these posi-
tions will be “preclassified” by a position classification specialist Interview with Victor Holmes
Team in Human Resources Services (HRS). During the pre-classifi-

Q&
Copyright Office staff members attended an All-Hands Meeting cation process, the specialist validates that the factor analysis for Answer Request Team’s
on June 13. The meeting focused on providing an update on the What will a “team” look like in the each job description is consistent with the major duties listed. In Process Recommendations
status of the Business Process Reengineering (BPR) project. Staff Registration Divisions? Will the Organization Team redesign doing so, the proposed grade of the position is also validated.
Director Robert Dizard opened up the meeting for Register of A team of approximately ten people will supervisory and management positions?  The position descriptions will then become part of a reorganiza- Developing IT Solutions
Copyrights Marybeth Peters, who was unable to attend because consist of a support technician, a techni- The Organization Team redesigned most tion package that will be submitted to HRS for approval.
she was testifying before the Committee on the Judiciary, Subcom- cian, an examiner, a cataloger, possibly a of the positions within each division, in- Close to 200 staff members have participated in the teams Q&A: Organization Team
mittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property, at a hear- registration specialist, a nonsupervisory cluding supervisory and some managerial or acted as resources to help accomplish all these milestones in
ing on the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) process. team lead, and a supervisor. positions. accordance with the BPR project schedule. This summer the Of- c opyright offic e r e e n g i n e e r i n g u p dat e
Dizard provided an update on the budget, mail, and backlog reduc- fice will continue to move forward with reengineering by work-
tion efforts. BPR Project Manager Julia Huff and Information and Will tagging be moved to the 5th floor? What does the Team mean by “bridges ing toward new milestones contained in an integrated implemen-
Reference Division Chief Jim Cole provided an update on the No. The tagging function will occur in the and career paths”? tation plan that will address the continued implementation of
Office’s ongoing BPR project. Automation and Technical Planning individual processing areas and will be in- One of the original reengineering team the processes, organization, facilities, and technology. Ô
Group Chief Mike Burke presented an update on the status of the cluded in multiple position descriptions. design principles is to increase the op- Reengineering Implementation
information technology requirements analysis. portunity for staff career development.
Staff learned that plans for design of the proposed organiza- When can staff see the new job
descriptions?
The current Copyright Office structure
FY- 02 Activity — Process
Milestones Achieved
tion are on target to be completed in the next few weeks. The is functional. Consequently, staff have
Julia Huff
proposed new Office organization features seven divisions, in- The BPR Team is working with each divi- become “specialized” and cannot move
Team Process Procedures Quick
cluding three designated for registration. The proposed Registra- sion manager to review position descrip- easily into other work areas or divisions Meetings Maps Manual Hits
tion Divisions are organized by subject matter and include the tions. After review, they will be sent to a for new career opportunities. The rede- The first phase of the BPR implementation is complete, and the work products repre-
current examining and cataloging functions, with the exception LC classifier for classification. Staff will sign addresses this issue through posi- sent an ambitious accomplishment. The six BPR process implementation teams began
of documents. These three divisions will be overseen and coordi- then be provided with a copy of the posi- tion structure and cross training,
Receive July–Sept ✓ ✓ ✓ working in October 2001 to define the detailed processes. By June 5 all had presented
Mail
nated by a registration program director or equivalent. tion description for the job they currently thereby providing more opportunities their respective procedures manuals to the Steering Committee. The chart at the end of
The proposed Information and Records Division consists of occupy or the job most similar. A staff for staff to move across work units and Maintain Aug–Oct ✓ ✓ ✓ this article presents the milestones the teams achieved over the past 8 months.
the current Information and Reference functions within the ex- member is also entitled to a copy of a po- divisions for career development. The Accounts Each procedures manual documents the steps that staff will
isting sections and will include the Documents Recordation Sec- sition description when applying for a redesign creates a more flexible environ- follow in their daily activities. The manuals provide information
tion, which will transfer from the current Cataloging Division. posted position. ment with opportunities for staff to Register Oct–Apr ✓ ✓ ✓ based on the use of new technology and are intended to cover
The proposed Receipt, Analysis, and Control (RAC) Division move both laterally and vertically. Claim both the use of hard copy and electronic submissions. Addition-
Can staff apply for positions in divisions Inside
includes most activities within the current Receiving and Pro- ally, they will serve both as a reference for the contractors who will
cessing Division. The proposed RAC Division includes three they do not currently work in? Since positions will change, does the Acquire Oct–Jan ✓ ✓ ✓ Julia Huff, Robert Dizard, Jim Cole, and Mike Burke build the new information systems and as a guide for pilot projects
Team envision that individuals will be Deposit
sections: Accounts, In-processing, and Out-processing. Some Yes. Staff from one division may apply for present information at June’s All-Hands Meeting. when the new systems are ready. The manuals, which incorporate
duties of the Materials Control Section have been dispersed to posted positions in other divisions. able to acquire the skills needed? ” See page 5 Steering Committee comments, are available on the Copyright
other divisions. Yes. The Organization Team has devel-
Answer Request Feb–May ✓ ✓ ✓ Office staff BPR site (www.loc.gov/staff/copyright).
(includes OSPs)
The Copyright Acquisitions Division’s work units will be Tech- What is the purpose of the Skills oped a high-level training plan to address On another BPR front, the BPR Organization Team, which
nical Processing and Acquisitions to delineate workflow clearly. Assessment and Training Plan? any skill gaps between current knowl- began work in October 2001, worked with six additional teams
Record Apr–June ✓ ✓ ✓
Changes are proposed not only to the division structure but The BPR Organization Team conducted edge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) and Document of staff and managers to redesign the work unit structures for
also to work units and job roles within each division. The new a Skills Gap Assessment over the past KSAs needed in the new organization. each process and to create the job roles that these new processes
organization will allow enhanced career opportunities through year. The team looked at the knowledge, The Register will appoint an Organiza- require. By June 12, the work unit structures for each process had
cross-training and rotational duties. skills, and abilities (KSAs) for current job tion Coordinator to develop and imple- been presented to the Steering Committee. The high-level orga-
A lively question-and-answer session followed the formal roles and the KSAs of proposed job roles, ment training outlined in the training nization proposal for the Office, which actually outlined the pro-
presentations. The questions, and their answers, included: and determined where any gaps existed. plan. The training plan will not identify posed division structure, was presented to the Steering Commit-
The team then designed a high-level
training plan to cover these gaps. Staff
will receive the skills, training, and coach-
ing support they need to perform success-
individual staff training needs or inter-
ests but will look at specific job posi-
tions and identify what training staff
need in order to perform job duties in
s reengineering update

Published by the Publications Section [lm-455],


tee on June 12 and to the staff at an All Hands meeting on June
13. Next month’s ReNews will feature a detailed article on the
proposed organization structure.
Information and Reference Division,
fully under the new structure. Ô the new environment. Ô Copyright Office, Library of Congress photo by charles gibbons [Continues on back panel]

Publications Staff
Writer ⁄ Editors · Judith Nierman, 707-6816; Ruth Sievers, 707-9168
s | j uly 2002 ju ly 2002 | s
Designer ⁄ Photographer · Charles Gibbons, 707-3313