The New Pegasus
No. 5 - 2011

The Hagerstown Aviation Museum, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the region’s more than 90 years of extraordinary aviation history.

Hagerstown’s Aviation Past ...................................... Page 3 Museum Contact Information .................................. Page 3 Aviation History Preserved at Hagerstown .............. Page 4 A Bridge From the Sky ............................................. Page 8 My European Tour on a C-119 ............................... Page 10 Richard A Henson, The Early Years ...................... Page 12 Eight and One Half Decades Ago ........................... Page 14 Building the Martin PBM Wings ............................ Page 16 Martin PBM Mariner RC Model Donated ............. Page 18 Aviation Merit Badge .............................................. Page 19 Alvin Ray Johns, Part One ..................................... Page 22 Aircraft Donations .................................................. Page 26 Dan Frankforter Photo Collection Donation .......... Page 28

Highlights of Hagerstown’s Aviation Past
1916-1920 Giuseppi Bellanca builds the ―CD‖ and ―CE‖ biplanes for the Maryland Pressed Steel Company in the Pope Building located in south Hagerstown. 1921-1925 Lew & Henry Reisner operate an aircraft repair business and eventually partner with local shoe manufacturer Ammon Kreider to sell Waco Biplanes. 1926 The newly formed Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company designs and builds the KRA Midget to participate in the 1926 National Air Race in Philadelphia. 1927-1929 Kreider-Reisner develops and produces the C-2, C-4 & C-6 Challenger Biplanes that gain them much acclaim. 1929 Sherman Fairchild of Fairchild Aircraft Company, Long Island, NY purchases a majority stock interest in Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company of Hagerstown. 1930s Fairchild Aircraft Company produces the F22, F24, F45, F46 and F92 Amphibian. 1931 Richard (Dick) Henson purchases the Hagerstown Airport and founds Henson Flying Service. 1933 Richard (Dick) Henson becomes Test Pilot for Fairchild Aircraft. 1939-1943 Fairchild develops and produces over 5000 PT19 Primary trainers for the US Army and Navy as well as the AT-21 Gunnery Trainer and UC-61 Utility Cargo Aircraft. 1942-1948 Fairchild develops and produces over 200 of the first all metal cargo aircraft specifically designed for the task, the C82 Packet. 1949-1955 Fairchild develops and produces the C-119 Flying Boxcar of which over 1100 were produced. 1954-1958 Fairchild produces over 300 of the C123 Provider cargo aircraft. 1954-1966 Fairchild helps to develop the Fokker designed F-27 Friendship turbo-prop transport and produces over 200. 1962-1983 Richard (Dick) Henson begins the ―Hagerstown Commuter‖ which eventually becomes the Allegheny Commuter and Piedmont Regional Airline. 1965 Fairchild purchases Republic Aviation of Farmingdale, L.I., NY. 1973-1983 Fairchild/Republic awarded A-10 Attack Aircraft contract and produces 713 for the United States Air Force. 1984 Aircraft production ends in Hagerstown.

Chambersburg PA 100 Years of Flight .................. Page 30 Wings and Wheels Expo Participants..................... Page 31 Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics ........................ Page 34 Museum Membership and Volunteers ................... Page 36 The Museum Gift Shop ........................................... Page 37

Contact Information:
Museum Mailing address: Hagerstown Aviation Museum, Inc. 14235 Oak Springs Rd Hagerstown MD 21742 Phone: 301-733-8717 Website: www.HagerstownAviationMuseum.org Email: info@hagerstownaviationmuseum.org Event Website: www.WingsandWheelsExpo.com The museum is now on

Cover Photo: C-119 lands at Hagerstown Regional Airport November 15, 2008


Aviation History Being Preserved at Hagerstown
Hagerstown Aviation Museum aircraft collection, 2010

By Ralph M. Petterson Originally appeared in Propliner and Air Classics

Exciting things are happening at Hagerstown Regional Airport (HGR) in Hagerstown, Maryland. From 1929 to 1984 the airport was home to the Fairchild Aircraft Company where thousands of aircraft were produced at the company‘s plant for both military and civilian customers. The airport is currently home to the Hagerstown Aviation Museum, which was founded in 2005 with the goal of preserving the region‘s rich aviation heritage. The idea of a museum first surfaced in 1995 at the ―Fairchild Homecoming and Air Show‖ when a group of local aviation enthusiasts discussed the idea of creating such a museum. Among the group was Richard A. Henson, chief test pilot for many years at Fairchild and founder of Henson Aviation. This group was responsible for Richard A. Henson laying the early groundwork for the museum. Much of the momentum for a museum was lost after Mr. Henson‘s passing in 2002 and the idea remained dormant until 2004 when the documentary ―Hagerstown, Remembering Our Aviation Heritage‖ was produced by Kurtis Meyers, John Seburn and Steve Christiano. The film‘s 4

enthusiastic reception breathed new life into the museum project and in January 2005 the museum was formally founded. The museum currently has over 15 aircraft in its collection. The Fairchild Aircraft legacy at Hagerstown dates back to 1925 when Lewis Reisner and Ammon Kreider formed Kreider-Reisner Flying Service. Two years later the company‘s name was changed to the Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company and in 1929 Sherman Fairchild bought a controlling interest in the company. During the 1930‘s several popular aircraft were designed and manufactured including the Fairchild Model 22 and 24. In 1939 Fairchild Aircraft was awarded a contract to build the PT-19 primary

PT-19 trainer for the US Army Air Corps and by the end of the war over 5,000 of the trainers had been built in Hagerstown. The factory continued producing both military and civilian aircraft after World War II including C-82 Packets, C-119 Flying Boxcars, C-123 Providers, F-27/F-227 Friendships, Metroliners and finally A-10 Warthogs. The plant closed shortly after the delivery of the final A-10 to the

USAF in March 1984. While I didn‘t know much about the museum, I had read about their impressive feat of acquiring and ferrying both a C-82A and C-119G from Greybull, Wyoming to Hagerstown. I had seen the Packet in 1998 during its visit to the annual Oshkosh airshow and had photographed both aircraft at Greybull during visits in 2003 and 2006. While the aircraft looked eminently airworthy during my last visit to Greybull, just prior to the August 2006 auction, I was impressed that a fledgling organization was able to raise the money and execute such a complicated undertaking! I contacted museum president, Kurtis Meyers, and set up a visit to photograph the two aircraft. Hagerstown is only a two hour drive from my home in Southern Maryland and a visit was set up a few days before Christmas. On August 21, 2006 museum president Kurtis Meyers, treasurer John Seburn and volunteer videographer Steve Christiano set out for Greybull, Wyoming, to attend the Hawkins and Powers (H&P) auction, which was to be held on August 23. Their mission was to acquire at least one of the Fairchild aircraft being auctioned that day for the museum. First on their list was C-82A Packet N9701F. This aircraft is the sole remaining airworthy C-82A of 220 produced by Fairchild and they‘d had their eye on it for some time. N9701F was delivered to the USAF as 45-57814 in 1948 and, after retirement from military service, TWA operated the aircraft from 1956 to 1972 ferrying re-

C-82 is use by TWA placement engines to stranded airliners. Briles Wing and Helicopter owned the aircraft in the mid-1970‘s and Northern Pacific Transport in the 1980‘s before it was sold to Hawkins and Powers in 1992. To this day, the TWA stripes and Briles markings are still visible on the sides of

C-82 in Greybull awaiting a new home. the aircraft. When the museum had first inquired about the aircraft a few years back, a $500,000 sales price was quoted. As time passed, the price was lowered to $250,000 but this was still beyond the museum‘s limited budget. In mid-July the museum found out about the auction and in just four weeks 100 donors contributed $140,000 towards the purchase of the aircraft. If they were not successful in acquiring the C-82A, the backup plan was to purchase C-119G N8093 or C-119G N15501 and/or F-27F N127HP, all produced by Fairchild at Hagerstown. In addition to the four aircraft, the museum was also interested in purchasing one of the two disassembled C-82A‘s stored at Greybull. After sitting on airliners for the better part of the day, the museum crew finally arrived at Greybull in late afternoon and immediately set out inspecting the three aircraft of interest and a mountain of spare parts, engines and accessories that had been accumulated by H&P over the years. One of the first people they talked to was Bob Stanford, president of Zenith Aviation. Zenith Aviation was overseeing the auction and they nervously questioned Bob about what he thought their chances were on successfully bidding on the C-82A. While discussing the museum with Bob, John Seburn mentioned

that the late Richard Henson had been one of the first museum board members and Bob lit up like a light bulb. It turns out that Bob had sold Richard a Learjet back in the 1980‘s and they had become close friends. This relationship was to be a stroke of good luck for the museum! After a good night‘s rest, the group spent the 22nd again inspecting the aircraft at Greybull in the sweltering August heat. The auction started promptly at 11:00am on the 23rd in an 8,000 square foot hangar that had been outfitted with large, portable air conditioning units. The F-27 would be auctioned first, the C-82 next and the two C119s last thus giving the museum a chance to bid on the C-119‘s if their C-82 bid failed. Bidding for the C-82A began at $40,000 and proceeded in $5,000 and $10,000 increments until finally reaching $127,500. A last minute donation, just before the auction, had increased the museum‘s kitty to $140,000 but $127,500 was as high as the museum could bid since there was a 10% buyer‘s premium added to each bid. As it turned out, the auctioneer‘s hammer fell at $127,500 and the C-82A would be coming home to Hagerstown. The museum also purchased the fuselage, center section and wings of C-82A N5102B the next day for

$2,750. It plans on using the fuselage for a future ―Building the Boxcar‖ exhibit. With ownership of the Packet secured, the task of moving it to Hagerstown was the next challenge facing the museum. Although the aircraft hadn‘t flown in six years, it was in good condition and it was decided to move forward with a ferry flight. B&G Industries, which had taken over H&P‘s maintenance operation at Greybull, was contracted to make the C-82 airworthy with an initial estimate of $25,000. As things normally go with old airplanes, a few more items needed fixing and the final bill was $45,000. Another challenge fac-

ing the museum was finding a flight crew for the ferry flight. FAA records identified 13 pilots with C-82 type-ratings but all were either too old and/or unwilling to make the flight. Museum vice president Tracey Potter had a friend named Frank Lamm who had never flown C-82‘s, but had extensive experience flying C-119‘s. Another friend of Tracey‘s, TR Proven was added as co-pilot with Jack Fastnaught filling out the crew as flight engineer. All three had significant multiengine experience, with Frank‘s logbooks alone totaling over 30,000 hours. The FAA was convinced and gave the crew its blessing to make the flight! Now if they could only figure out how to pay for the fuel required to fly the airplane to Hagerstown. Landmark Aviation, a major fixed base operator (FBO), helped solve the problem when they made a significant donation toward the fuel for the flight. It was just one of those serendipitous things. Frank Lamm was at a wedding and was telling the story about the upcoming flight to an old friend, who just happened to be an executive with Landmark. The friend offered up his Landmark credit card which put many gallons of gas in the fuel tanks. If only all of


life‘s problems were solved so easily! The ferry flight was almost anticlimactic, with the crew departing Greybull on Thursday October 12, 2006 and arriving at Culpepper, Virginia, late Friday afternoon after fuel stops at North Platt, Nebraska and Ottumwa, Iowa. After participating in the annual Commemorative Air Force Capital Wing airshow on Saturday, October 14th, the aircraft departed Culpepper for Hagerstown on Sunday morning the 15th. After joining up with two T-6 aircraft at Winchester, Virginia, the three aircraft formation proceeded on to Hagerstown, where Frank gave the large welcoming crowd a thrill with a few low flybys. The weather was perfect on this beautiful October day as former Fairchild workers now in their 80‘s and 90‘s were brought to tears to see and hear the last flight of a C-82 they had helped build sixty years earlier. Mission accom-

C-119 N8093 at Greybull, WY., awaiting repair for the flight to Hagerstown, 2007 Fairchild Aircraft and was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1953 as serial number 22111. After retirement from the RCAF, the aircraft was bought by Hawkins and Powers, which used it for aerial firefighting. Even airplanes have their 15 minutes of fame and this aircraft reportedly starred in the 1989 movie Always with co-stars Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter. Having been retired from firefighting and movie roles, the C-119 was put out to pasture at Greybull with over 50 of her retired peers including PB4Y-2 Privateers, P2V Neptunes, C-119 Boxcars, KC-97 Stratotankers, C-130 Hercules, C-118‘s and an assortment of other miscellaneous aircraft including a C-82, F-27 and A-26 Invader. Prior to the August 2006 auction, Greybull most definitely represented the foremost collection of vintage military aircraft outside of Davis Monthan AFB! The museum now focused its attention on the formidable task of making the aircraft airworthy for the ferry flight back to Hagerstown. They surveyed the aircraft in August 2007 and, while the aircraft was in reasonably good condition, there were a number of issues that would have to be addressed and corrected before the flight could be undertaken. A fundraising campaign was initiated and enough money had been raised by September 2008 to allow work to begin on the aircraft. As with the C-82A, B&G Industries was contracted to get the aircraft ready for the ferry flight. Work performed by B&G included repair of the right prop; replacement of a number of cockpit windows; floorboard replacement; main landing gear tire and brake replacement; removal of the auxiliary jet engine; engine oil cooler replacement; fuel tank inspection/repair; left prop oil leakage repair and bird nest and snake removal. In addition to the work performed by B&G, one aileron and the ventral fins were removed from the aircraft, refurbished by museum volunteers at Hagerstown and shipped back to Greybull. Engine runs and gear retracting testing were performed in October and by early November the aircraft was ready for the flight to Hagerstown. Crew selection was a little easier this time with C-82A ferry veterans Frank Lamm and TR Proven volunteering to

plished…the C-82A was safely home at Hagerstown! With the Packet safely at Hagerstown, the museum could now focus its attention on former RCAF C-119G N8093, which had been donated to the museum by Bob Stanford in December 2006. A week after the auction in Greybull the museum received a call that the high bidder on C119G N8093 had backed out and it was available, again! All the money raised had been spent on the C-82 and the museum reluctantly had to decline the offer. The next day Bob Stanford called, knowing the museum‘s desire to also have a C119 Flying Boxcar, and offered to buy and then donate the aircraft to the Hagerstown museum. Bob was so impressed by the efforts to preserve the C-82 that he felt this C-119 should also come home to Hagerstown. Bob is obviously a true ―airplane guy‖ and deserves a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate and saving this historic aircraft! C-119G N8093 was one of over 1,100 C-119‘s built at Hagerstown by 6

take the C-119G east. Rounding out the crew was Galen ―Sonny‖ Seal who performed flight engineer and videographer duties. Frank and Sonny had flown together 50 years prior flying Boxcars in Japan and hadn‘t seen each other since. The plan was for the aircraft to arrive at Hagerstown on Sunday November 16th,

where a welcoming ceremony was planned. The weather wouldn‘t be quite as cooperative as it had been for the C-

82A flight with the crew departing Greybull at 10:20am on November 12th, just ahead of incoming bad weather. While they had departed Greybull in light rain, the weather was better when they landed at Grand Island, Nebraska three hours later for an overnight stop. The next day‘s flight took them to St. Louis, where they were held up for two days because of bad weather. While the C-119 was fully capable of all-weather flying while in USAF service, FAA rules stipulate that ferry C-119 lands at Hagerstown Regional Airport Nov. 15, 2008

to skirt the worst weather. Four hours later, after joining up with escorting aircraft at Martinsburg, West Virginia, the veteran aircraft arrived safely at a very cold and blustery Hagerstown Airport. On hand to greet the aircraft and three-man crew were over 800 hardy souls, many of them former workers at the Fairchild plant. A total of $95,000 had been spent for the restoration and ferry flight, including $12,000 for avgas. By the time the aircraft arrived at Hagerstown 450 donors had contributed $80,000 and hopefully the balance could be raised shortly. The museum online store has a very interesting DVD on sale for $19.95 documenting the restoration and flight from Greybull to Hagerstown. Proceeds from the sale of the DVD will go towards the C-119 fund. In addition to the two former H&P aircraft, the museum‘s aircraft collection includes eleven aircraft currently housed in hangars around the Hagerstown Airport. This collection includes a 1928 Kreider Reisner KR-31, Fairchild UC-61C, North American T-6, three PT-19A‘s and a PT-26. The museum is looking for the donation of a Fairchild F-27 and C-123 to add to its collection of Fairchild produced aircraft. The museum is looking for a permanent home at the Hagerstown Regional Airport. For more information regarding th e museum, ch eck out its websit e at www.hagerstownaviationmuseum.org . I‘d like to thank Kurtis Meyers and John Seburn for their assistance in preparing this article. I look forward to great things from this fledgling organization…their accomplishments have been truly impressive!

flights must be undertaken in VFR conditions and the crew was forced to wait for better weather. It was now Sunday morning and the aircraft was still in St. Louis with a very iffy weather forecast for the last leg to Hagerstown. The crew reviewed current weather conditions and forecasts for the planned flight route and decided to set out for Hagerstown via a more southerly route through Tennessee

Flight crew Sonny Seal, Frank Lamm and TR Proven


Remembering Our Aviation Heritage

The C-119 Flying Boxcar at War, “A Bridge from the Sky”,
by John L. Taylor Jr. USAF One memorable day in the fall of 1950 rumors spread through the personnel at Sewart Air Base, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, of a dramatic transition in the base activities. We were ordered to send a telegram to our loved ones indicating we would be out of touch for an indeterminate amount of time. All this had to happen without divulging what we had already suspected, deployment to the Korean War Zone. The days passed quickly as the base prepared for the eventual move. The flight crews were advised earlier than most when the inevitable day would arrive. Their duty was obvious, that of flying the squadron aircraft from Sewart AFB to Japan. The aircraft would be modified to increase their fuel capacity with the addition of auxiliary fuel tanks installed by Fairchild in Hagerstown, Maryland. Since I was not a member of a flight crew, never having been assigned to that position when I was transferred from the 37th to the 50th Troop Carrier Squadron, I

became part of the ground support personnel. A group of us received orders to report, with all our belongings, to the flight line where a Fairchild C-82 Packet awaited. We were a solemn bunch as we boarded the aircraft, still unsure of where we were going and as the pilot gave us a pre-flight lecture, we put our faith in his ability and the reliability of the aircraft. After a refueling stop at Waco AFB, Waco, Texas, we arrived in San Francisco and boarded a Flying Tiger Lines commercial DC-4 for the ten hour flight to Hawaii, our first stop en route to the Far East. Our apprehension alleviated regarding our destination, we settled down with the typical rumors of the unknown future. Our next stop for fuel and chow came another ten hours later at Wake Island, a Pacific Ocean atoll made famous early in World War II for the battle between the Japanese Navy and a small garrison of U.S. Marines that was stationed there before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Although outnumbered and outgunned, the Marines held on without support until overwhelmed by Japanese forces. Only three acres of sand, the island still held symbols of the war, with rusted ship hulks on the beaches and a Japanese tank abandoned behind the mess hall where we had chow. Not much real estate for the sacrifice of the Marines lost there. We landed at the Tokyo, Japan, airport after a total of fifty hours flight time from San Francisco and immediately boarded trucks for the short trip to Tachikawa Air Base. A Fairchild C-119 Flying

Boxcar was waiting for us and after getting squared away with the luggage identification and the personnel manifest, we departed for Komaki Airdrome, a Japanese fighter base during WWII, now a staging area for the 314th Troop Carrier Group aircraft as they arrived from the states. We had been sent there for the express purpose of removing the auxiliary fuel tanks from the C-119s before the planes could be considered ready for service. After our work was finished, we were ordered to prepare for transportation

to our assigned stations. The 314th Troop Carrier Group, now designated the 314th Combat Cargo Command, aircraft were assigned to Ashiya Air Base, Kyushu, Japan for cargo delivery between Japan and Korea as required for the support of the war. After a side trip to Nagoya, Japan, our first sightseeing venture, we were transported by a C-119 Flying Boxcar to Ashiya AB for ground support assignments with our individual squadrons. Some of us, including myself, reported to the 50th Troop Carrier Squadron area and

Keep the Heritage Alive

Share your story

were billeted in one of the tents located behind the regular barracks because of space limitations. I suppose the squadron wanted us separated since we were designated TDY (temporary duty) to the base maintenance squadron where we formed the nucleus of the engine build-up operations. When the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines that powered the C-119s required replacement, they were removed by the aircraft crew and flight-line personnel as required and transported on engine stands to the engine build-up facility. There, we stripped the usable parts from the faulty

engine, including the exhaust system, the electrical wiring harness, the starter, generator and other accessories, which were then tested for operational efficiency and accepted or replaced as required. The new engine was removed from its shipping container and assembled to the operational configuration by the build-up crew. After inspection, the engine was returned to the flightline for installation on the aircraft. A BRIDGE FROM THE SKY Shortly after our arrival at Ashiya Air Base, the war escalated dramatically when, following the surprise landing at Inchon, Korea, by our troops led by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, a counter attack by the Chinese Communist Army at the Yalu River shocked the Americans and the

Republic of Korea Army (ROK). Undetected by the U.S. Forces as they advanced toward the 38th Parallel, the Chinese Army assault forced a withdrawal to the area of the Chosin Reservoir, where the U.S. Forces were unable to contain the Chinese advance. Supplied by C-119s from Ashiya, Japan, and Yonpo, Korea, the American Forces held as long as they could. However, it was inevitable that they would be forced to withdraw to the Hagaru-ri, Korea, area to regroup. The extreme cold caused many casualties despite supplies coming by air. A small airfield had been scratched out of the frozen ground near Hagaru-ri and Air Force and Marine cargo aircraft evacuated the wounded, saving thousands of lives. To make the situation worse, the road south of Kot‘o-ri, near Hagaru-ri, was blocked by damage caused by the Chinese Army in their attempt to prevent the American, British and ROK from reaching the coastal town of Hungnam and safety. Realizing the problem they faced, the 1st Marine Regiment contacted Combat Cargo Command and asked for help. The Air Force, realizing how crucial the situation was, immediately dispatched eight C119 Flying Boxcars from Ashiya AB to Yonpo, Korea, each aircraft carrying a 30 foot, two ton Bailey Treadway Bridge span. Army personnel rigged the bridge repair sections with parachutes and one section was test dropped to insure proper operation. At dawn on the morning of December 8, 1950, the C-119s left Yonpo for the Hagaru-ri, Kot‘o-ri pocket where the embattled troops awaited relief. Flying at 800 feet altitude, the aircraft flawlessly dropped the eight spans to the Army engineers who, within a day, repaired the bridge and opened the road to Hungnam where ships waited to evacuate the estimated 15,000 trapped Marine and Army troops. The bridge from the sky saved the day. C-119s continued dropping supplies as needed and also were utilized for mass airdrops of airborne troops as required by Gen. Mathew Ridgway who, in March of 1951, replaced Gen. MacArthur when

MacArthur was recalled by President Truman. The fighting escalated back and forth in the vicinity of the 38th Parallel with the ROK capital of Seoul changing hands four times. Areas such as the Punch Bowl, Heartbreak Ridge and Pork Chop Hill became infamous as the war progressed through 1952 and into 1953. Finally, on July 27, 1953, the Armistice Agreement was signed ending the war. For the Air Force personnel who were stationed in Japan, with the exception of the Combat Cargo Command crews that flew missions back and forth to Korea, the war seemed distant. However, it cannot be denied that ground support is always required for aircraft repair and maintenance and no less pride was involved in the accomplishments of the personnel who kept them flying. I returned to the states for discharge on the troopship U.S.S. General Wm. Mitchell, and an enjoyable cruise it was. With my discharge pay, I chose to fly home from California and I welcomed luxury afforded by the beautiful Lockheed Consellation, the Queen of the Sky in 1952 cross country to New York City and then a bus from NYC took me home. I moved to Hagerstown, MD, in 1962 and started work at FairchildAircraft as an inspector in 1966. When the A-10 program ended, I decided to continue working in the bonding facility at Plant 12, and when Fairchild sold the plant to Rohr In dustr i es in 1987, I retired. I came full circle from my military service with Fairchild C-82 Packets and C-119 Flying Boxcars back to where they were conceived.

Send to: Hagerstown Aviation Museum, 14235 Oak Springs Rd, Hagerstown MD 21742

Remembering Our Aviation Heritage

My European Tour on a Fairchild C-119
By Ron McAllister Sr. Clear Spring, MD During a recent fly-in at the Hagerstown Airport I met John Seburn at the C-82 exhibit and showed him some pictures I took in Europe while doing my overseas tour with the USAF. Being in my seventies, I thought it was about time someone other than friends and family saw them. I joined the Air Force on September 22 1952 and took my basic training at Sampson AFB, Geneva, New York. The training at that time was twelve weeks. The base, located on Lake Geneva, was on the edge of the lake and

in November it was a bitterly cold place to be. After a 30 day leave I reported to Sheppard AFB, Witicha Falls, Texas ,where I spent 6 months learning the basics of an aircraft mechanic.

At graduation I was assigned my permanent duty station, Donaldson AFB, Greenville, South Carolina. The base held two wings of aircraft with one having the C-124 Globemaster, a four engine, two decked plane and the other, the 465th Troop Carrier Wing, whose primary aircraft was the Hagerstown-built C-119CF. The wing was to deploy to Europe at the end of 1953 and was supposed to take everything they needed to operate with them. We did maintenance on our planes during the day, and at night we worked in what we called

the ―Box Factory‖ packing everything we needed to operate in Europe. At the end of November, 1953, we left Donaldson for Europe and flew from there to Dover, Delaware, spending three days waiting to get into Goose Bay, Labrador. At Goose we were weathered in for another three days. From there we flew to Keflavisle, Iceland, stayed over night and left there for Prestwick, Scotland. We were fogged in there almost a week before leaving for Wiesbaden, German. On leaving Prestwick we flew into a flock of seagulls and were afraid one would go into the carburetor air intake which may have caused us to crash, but lucked out in that respect. We arrived in Wiesbaden Christmas Eve of 1953. Because our permanent Air Base was still in the building stage by the Army Corps of Engineers, our wing

Keep the Heritage Alive

Share your story

was split up. We went to ToulRoseires AFB, Nancy, France. The 782nd Squadron went to Wiesbaden and the 781st went to Munich Germany. On arriving at Toul-Roseires it was like living the day after the war had ended. We slept in 8 man huts, heated by a tent stove and ate in a mess hall where we were given World War II ―C‖ rations. We bathed in water heated in galvanized water buckets. We were part of the 12th Air Force, 322 Air-Division, part of the then U.S.A.F., Europe. Our mission was to help train our Army in Europe. We hauled troops and their equipment while they were on maneuvers. We would fly into abandoned Luftwaffe bases, pick up soldiers, fly around for about a half hour and land at the same base where they would capture that base. Our other job was to supply, or re-supply NATO bases all the way from Bodo, Norway above the Arctic Circle to air bases in the then French Morocco. I was what was termed an in- flight mechanic. My job was to refuel the plane

and, when needed, repair them if a mechanical problem arose. It was a great job for a 19 year old county boy! As an example, one of our trips started at one base in France, flew to a depot at another; loaded and flew to Madrid Spain then the next day flew to Casablanca, French Morocco. We then went onto Wheelers Field, Tripoli, Libya and on to Athens, Greece, Rome, Italy and finally to Munich, Germany. One last leg over the English Channel to Burtonwood, England and a short hop back to our base in France found us home again. I lost an engine on only 2 trips, one in Oslo, Norway, the other over the Mediterranean between Athens and Libya. They sent me new engines in a can, which I exchanged on the airplane. It took me two weeks for the engine changes. Our version of the C-119 had two Pratt & Whitney R4360 Cubic inch, 28 cylinder engines. Later aircraft had Wright 3350 compound engines with power recovery turbines. They were a great aircraft built for the job they were doing. I enjoyed every day I flew on them and felt thankful to the people in Hagerstown for their great job!

Coming in the Next Issue!

The amazing career of James Martinez, Fairchild Industries last Test Pilot will be explored in the next issue of the New Pegasus magazine. Jim Martinez, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy went on to become one of a handful of Naval aviators that became official Navy Test Pilots, flying some of the fastest and most advanced aircraft of the 1960s. His career in the Navy and a few years flying commercially culminated in being named Chief Test Pilot for the Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II in 1977. Look for the full story of this highly talented man in the next issue of the New Pegasus!

Send to: Hagerstown Aviation Museum, 14235 Oak Springs Rd, Hagerstown MD 21742

Remembering Our Aviation Heritage
Richard A. Henson - Part 1, The Early Years
Richard A. Henson was born in 1910 in Hagerstown, Md., and was raised in the village of Paramount by Frank and Ora Belle Henson -- both of whom were business owners. Their influence upon their third child stayed with him throughout his lifetime. From Ora Belle, who owned a ladies hat and dress shop, he learned to appreciate fine clothing and the art and value of dressing well. From Frank, who ran a coal and ice business and applied his accounting education to bookkeeping for the dress shop, he learned to put all of his talents to good use and to work hard. From both parents, he learned deep and abiding religious beliefs that he practiced in his daily life. By the time young Richard (Dick) was 17, he knew he wanted to pursue a career in aviation. After completing advanced mechanical training at Mountain Park Institute in North Carolina, he remother, to raise the $375 he needed. Immediately after taking possession of the airplane he began taking pilot lessons and soloed in 1930. The next year Dick acquired his commercial license which allowed him to fly passengers for hire. While Dick was pursuing his newly found aviation love, the Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company had been purchased by Fairchild Aircraft Corporation that quickly began, on a small scale, to manufacture aircraft again. Sherman Fairchild, founder and president of the newly arrived company, asked Dick to accept the position of test pilot for the aircraft that the company was producing. For forty dollars per week he tested and made reports for each aircraft that came off the line. Although Dick was mak-

Four owners of the C-2, Henson, second from left, 1931 turned to Hagerstown. The Kreider-Reisner Aircraft factory where Dick had planned to work had ceased production due to the Depression. Not dissuaded, he convinced three friends to help purchase a Kreider Reisner C-2 Challenger airplane for $1500. For his part, he had to obtain a loan, co-signed by his

ing very good money, especially good during the Depression, he continued to offer charter flights and rides to paying customers. Somehow, he also found time to manage the Hagerstown Airport's grass field as a sideline business. In 1932 Dick purchased the Blue Ridge Flying Service and

Henson Flying Service shack, 1932 renamed it Henson Flying Service, managing the operations from the airport while continuing test flights for Fairchild. As his flying business increased, Dick built a small white and green building to house his center of operations on the field and added several airplanes to his stable: a used Brunner Winkle ―Kinner‖ Bird biplane in 1934 and an Aeronca C-3 just a short time later. 12

Henson at desk in the shack. 1932

1934 During this time, his combined flight hours at Fairchild and those with his flight business allowed Dick to quickly earn the government‘s top rating of an Airline Transport Pilot. In 1936 he became a member of an exclusive group named ―The Caterpillar Club‖ ,a dubious ―badge of honor‖ to which admission was reserved for those who were forced to bail out from an aircraft and parachute to earth. Throughout the 1930s Dick continued to make most of the first flights on aircraft that Fairchild produced, suggesting modifications and improvements on many. Dick had the final say whether an airplane was fit to be delivered and he took his job very seriously! By the end of the 1930‘s Dick had a vibrant business both at Fairchild and managing the Hagerstown Airport. The beginning of war in Europe in the summer of 1939 set both Fairchild and the Airport on a different path, one that would lead Fairchild to develop a much needed primary training aircraft and the airport to become a training center for pilots… 1933 Dick Henson had positioned himself at the center of it all!

Interior view of Henson Flying Service shack. 1932

A Happy Customer Takes his First Airplane Ride

Henson in PT-19, 1940 Richard A. Henson - ‖The War Years‖, Part Two of the series, will appear in the next issue of the New Pegasus magazine. 13

Eight and One-half Decades Ago………A Time Remembered
Eighty five years ago fifteen year old Thelma Alexander was hired by Ammon Kreider to come to work for the KreiderReisner Aircraft Corporation. Thelma left the business college she was attending in downtown Hagerstown and joined the office staff at the aircraft manufacturing business. At sometime during 1926, a panoramic photo was taken of Kreider-Reisner employees, but Thelma did not see the finished photo before her employment ended. When Thelma turned 100 years old, the museum discovered that she had worked for Kreider-Reisner and an appointment for an interview was scheduled for February 16, 2011. The museum had in its collection an undated panoramic photo of KreiderReisner employees taken sometime during the 1920s and it was possible that Thelma was in the picture. We were also hoping that Thelma could provide us some first person recollections of the company that has not existed for eighty-two years. An excerpt from the interview follows: Museum:‖ Would you tell us something about your time at Kreider-Reisner.‖ Thelma: ―I don‘t have too much I can tell you. I was only fifteen years old when I went to work for Kreider-Reisner. Mr. Kreider came to the school to pick out somebody to work in his office. Lew Reisner had the drafts for an airplane and Mr. Reisner furnished the money. There were only three of us in the office but there were a lot of people who worked there at the time, many of them really young boys. The boys started at fourteen years old and their wages were fourteen cents an hour. Fifteen year olds got fifteen cents an hour and I got eight dollars a week. There were only a few older men at the time. Mr. Lew Reisner‘s daddy was the stockroom boss and he gave out tools as they needed them. They would come to him for them. And Henry Reisner was the boss in the painting department. And the boss over the 14

shop, the superintendant, was Mr. Seiler. I think he got seventyfive dollars a week. The first test pilot was Clever…Clever… Clever… I don‘t know why I can‘t recall his last name. There were several older men and they were getting thirty-five cents an hour. But of course no one was getting too much money at that time. That was in 1926.‖ Thelma continued recounting in great detail her time at Kreider-Reisner, providing the museum superb first person, primary source material. At the conclusion of the interview, the panoramic Kreider-Reisner employee photograph was placed in front of Thelma: Museum: ―We are trying to date this picture. Do you recognize anyone in the photo?‖ Thelma: ―No………I really don‘t.‖ Museum: ―Of the young ladies dressed in white, do you recognize the center one?‖ Thelma: ―I…….. think……… so……….maybe‖. Museum: ―You think so?‖ Thelma:‖Yep………… that‘s me!‖ Thelma continued to identify familiar faces in the picture and connect people to jobs. When she came to the test pilot, her face lit up, ―Reynolds!!!...Clever Reynolds!!‖ Even after eighty-five years, her memory did not fail her. After her time with Kreider- Reisner, Thelma held other jobs, married Cecil Brown, raised four children and has reached the century mark. The museum profusely thanks Thelma Brown for permitting us to probe her memory and record, first hand, a part of Hagerstown‘s aviation heritage that happened eighty-five years ago.

Henry Reisner

Thelma Alexander Mrs. Brown Spielman

Ammon Kreider

Lew Reisner

Fred Seiler

Clever Reynolds 1926



Drafting Room 15

Women workers at Fairchild Aircraft in Hagerstown build wings for the PBM

PBM wings are painted at Fairchild Aircraft 16

Building the Martin PBM Mariner

Special trailer designed by Sullivan Trucking to haul finished PBM wings from Hagerstown to the Martin Aircraft factory in Baltimore, MD

PBM’s being assembled during WWII in the Martin Aircraft factory in Baltimore, MD, awaiting wings from Hagerstown.

Martin PBM Mariner wings being assembled in the Fairchild Aircraft factory at the Hagerstown Airport during WWII. 17

Martin PBM Mariner RC Model Donated to Museum
The beautiful radio controlled model of the famous WWII Martin Mariner PBM was donated to the Hagerstown Aviation Museum in November, 2009, and a short time later John and Ruth Nicolaci of Marion, MA, arrived to present the model to the museum. John began building models around 1930 and progressed from rubber band powered balsa and paper models to highly sophisticated and superbly engineered models. John flew the PBM for thirty-four years around the United States and also interna1938 1938 tionally. Always a crowd pleaser, the PBM was often flown at naval aviation reunions where it brought back many memories for the naval aviators of WWII and post-war years. Although the museum does not plan to continue flying the PBM, you can go to the museum website, HagerstownAviationMuseum.org, and watch John putting the Mariner through its paces. While John was from Massachusetts and PBMs were built at Martin Aircraft in Baltimore, Maryland, both John and the plane are connected to Hagerstown. During WWII Fairchild Aircraft in Hagerstown had a subcontract to build the wings for Martin‘s PBM. Initially they were constructed in the large poultry exhibition hall at the Hagerstown Fair grounds. Later they were constructed in a new Fairchild factory. Regardless of where they were built, transporting them from Hagerstown to Baltimore was a daunting task. Sullivan Transportation devised a trailer that transported the wings to Baltimore. Once the wings arrived in Baltimore, John was responsible for inspecting them. Not long after John and Ruth donated the PBM, John lost his battle with cancer.The museum is honored to continue to present John‘s superbly crafted model of the famous PBM to the public in recognition of John‘s outstanding craftsmanship and his life-long love of aviation.




Boy Scout Troop 2
By Scott Schneider Photos by R. Mike Schaefer A stunned silence falls over the group. None of the adult leaders or volunteer pilots expects a twelve year old boy to answer the question, ―How does a wing produce lift?‖ with the reply, ―Bernoulli‘s principle‖. This young boy is a member of Boy Scout Troop 2 of Hagerstown who recently visited Hagerstown Regional Airport to fulfill requirements for the Aviation Merit Badge. The Scouts of Troop 2 spent several of their weekly meetings in classes learning about the principles of flight, navigation, pilot certifications, famous aviators and aviation careers. To complete their requirements they needed to visit an aviation museum, take a flight in an airplane or take a tour of an actual airport. Little did I know, as Aviation Merit Badge Counselor, that the Hagerstown Regional Airport community would come together with such enthusiasm to help these boys earn one of the least earned merit badges in the MasonDixon Council.

Aviation Merit Badge
We began the discussion of having the entire Troop take Aviation Merit Badge in the spring, with the culmination being a visit to the airport complete with museum aircraft tours and airplane rides for all the boys. ―Wait a minute! Airplane rides for the boys? How am I going to pull that off?‖ I said to myself. I was sure that the rest of the museum board would be OK with having the Scouts come out and go through the two ―Boxcars‖ and some of the smaller airplanes, but where was I going to come up with rides? That‘s when I contacted Mark Hissey of the Experimental Aircraft Associations (EAA) local chapter to inquire about Young Eagle Flights. The EAA sponsors Young Eagle Flights for kids eight to seventeen years of age to receive a free airplane ride. Mark was happy to assist with my request and after trading several e-mails back and forth, Mark, Tom and I were able to get all of the paperwork straight so that the EAA lawyers and the Boy Scout lawyers were both happy. We also decided on a date to have this aviation extravaganza. May 14th was chosen because of the likelihood of more favorable weather conditions. Little did we 19

To attain the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank in Scouting, boys are required to earn twenty-one merit badges throughout their Scouting career. These merit badges are divided into two categories, required for Eagle rank and nonrequired for Eagle rank. The required merit badges are those that most nonscouts would think of - First aid, Camping, Emergency Preparedness, Hiking and Citizenship. The non-required merit badges consist of more career oriented, hobby and sport interests. These nonrequired merit badges are intended to keep the young boys in good physical fitness, mentally sharp and introduce them to several different career opportunities that they may not be exposed to as thoroughly in school. Among these nonrequired merit badges is Aviation. It was at a Scouting banquet around Christmas when Tom Hoover, Scoutmaster of Troop 2 based at Otterbein United Methodist Church in Hagerstown, asked me if he could bring his boys out to the airport some Saturday to have a look at the museum‘s aircraft collection. I told him, ―I think we can do better than that.‖

know that Mother Nature had other plans for that particular day. The next step was to get the official OK from the Hagerstown Aviation Museum Board of Directors to have the Scouts come out and tour the airplanes.

This would be a rare experience for these boys. In between all the Scout meetings, Board meetings and e-mails, I stopped by the Pittsburg Institute of Aeronautics‘ open house of their Hagerstown campus at the Top Flight Air Park. As I was walking through the facilities, I began to think, ―This would be great to have the scouts come through here.‖ What college would say no to a group of local middle school and high school kids coming through their new campus? I was told to speak to Mel Williams, the campus director. I introduced myself and began explaining what I was working on. Before I could finish he replied, ―I want them to come visit us‖. With that I had all the pieces together. We were finally ready for May 14th to arrive.

I had spoken to Jack Seburn, Secretary of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum, through e-mails and he had told me that the museum would enjoy helping the boys earn their merit badge. One of the museum‘s goals is to introduce local young people to aviation and local history. Who better than a local Boy Scout troop. At the next board meeting the Scout visit was on the agenda to be discussed. I thought I was going to have to really ―sell this‖ idea, but I was wrong. The board was very excited to have the troop come and tour the aircraft. The discussion of the scouts visit continued when Tracey Potter, president of Hagerstown Aircraft Services, offered to give the boys a tour of his maintenance facilities. It was really starting to come together. The entire idea of Aviation Merit Badge is to show young boys the vast career opportunities available in the aviation industry. Most people don‘t think of all the mainteScouts learn how a propeller works at the PIA Hagerstown nance and administraCampus. tive positions available in aviation. This will give the boys that exposure. Tracey also said that he had a All of the participants had been watching contact at Cape Air, the shuttle service the weather all week. The forecast was that provides flights from Hagerstown to not looking good for flying. Saturday Baltimore. ―We may be able to get them finally came with low level gray clouds rides in their airplane‖, said Tracey. This and the feel that it could rain any second. is great! Not only will I have lined up So, unfortunately the boys‘ flights had to one ride, but the possibility of two rides! be cancelled, but we would soldier on This is turning out to be a good day. with the tours as planned. That same evening, Tracey gave me contact information for Todd Willman, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Marketing Manager for Cape Air. I explained what I was planning and Todd, a former Scouter himself, was very enthusiastic about having the boys come up to the terminal, experience ticket counter procedures, go through TSA screening and take a ride in their Cessna 402. A lot of the boys have never flown commercially let alone at all. 20

During our time at PIA, the skies finally opened up and the rain started.―Well, we are definitely not flying now‖, I said to Gary Hill, one of the Assistant Scoutmasters. He said that he has a cousin who works at the control tower and, if he‘s working today, he might be able to give the boys a tour. That would be perfect! There are few people who get to see the inside of the control tower. I think this would be a suitable replacement for an airplane ride. As Gary made his phone call, we thanked Mel and pressed on to Hagerstown Air-

Boys were able to inspect the museum’s PT-19 up close during their visit to Hagerstown Aircraft Services. craft Services where we dodged the rain drops as we ran for the relative dry of the hangers. There I met up with Mark Hissey and Curtis Berry of the Experimental Aircraft Association. The consensus between the three of us was unanimous that there would be no flying today, but the pilots agreed that if the rain stopped within the next half hour they would go over the pre-flight checklists with the scouts. The timing would be perfect,

We gathered first at the Top Flight parking lot to begin our tour of the Pittsburg Institute of Aeronautics (PIA) Hagerstown Campus. Mel was very welcoming and took the boys through the school‘s facilities. All of the boys enjoyed sitting in the small helicopter and airplane that PIA has for demonstration purposes. It gave the boys a chance to see the control surfaces of the airplane move and how it affected the direction of flight.

Curtis Berry of EAA Chapter 36 goes over pre-flight inspections with a group scouts because Tracey said that his tour of the shops would take about a half hour. Tracey took the boys around his shops and explained about the different materi-

als aircraft are made of, special tools required for repairs and stories of how some of the planes in the shop got there. We were lucky enough to have one of the museum‘s PT-19‘s in the shop for its annual inspection. This gave the scouts the opportunity to see inside the cowling and get a close up look at the Ranger engine. At this point, the rain had stopped enough for us to venture out from under the hangers. We divided the boys into two groups and turned them over to Curtis and Mark so that they could show how to pre-flight an airplane. Both groups were shown how to inspect control surfaces for freedom of movement, sample fuel for type and to determine if any foreign material or liquids were presen,t and to determine if the fuselage had any damage or weak spots. After pre-flighting was finished, we moved on to the pride and joy of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum, our two ―boxcars‖. The C-82 and C-119 sat across the ramp from Tracey‘s hangers,

Quinn Hoover, Mike Rudisill, Jared Boppe, Patrick Vandercruyssen, Timmy Kofoet and Levi Hoover watch air traffic controllers guide aircraft in. got the message from the control tower. ―Sure, come on over, I can work you in.‖ With the weather the way it was I wasn‘t surprised. He probably wanted some company. After taking a few photos and thanking everyone, we mounted up and headed for the other side of the airport. We arrived at the control tower around noon. The controller said that he could take about seven people at a time, and if there was any traffic they would have to remain quiet. So, as a group of seven went up, the rest of the boys dug into their lunches. We were actually lucky

their next experience. The boys would be given a ―one time‖ boarding pass at the Cape Air desk. They would then go through TSA screening and then be escorted out to the ramp to check out the Cessna 402. The distribution of boarding passes went smoothly enough, except for the Scoutmaster‘s son who had somehow ended up on a watch list! After that was straightened out, we headed for security. We had told the boys to leave pocket knives at home and to leave their backpacks in the car, so minus the re-tying of hiking boots, TSA screening went well. The boys were then able to go out on the ramp where the two Cape Air pilots gave the scouts a tour of the aircraft. Many of the boys got a chance to sit in the pilot and co-pilot seats and have their picture taken. After one last group photo, we said thanks and good bye to the folks of Cape Air. All in all, a successful, although wet, Aviation Merit Badge tour. Aside from a few last minute reports to be turned in, all of the scouts of Troop 2 have earned their Aviation Merit Badge and have learned more about the aviation industry and local aviation history then they would have anywhere else. Not only were we able to award merit badges that day, but we were able to give a group of young people a look at the inner workings of a live airport and show them the heritage of this particular airport. A heritage that we as locals can be proud of. I enjoyed my experience as Aviation Merit Badge Counselor and look forward to doing it again in the future, possibly having scouts from multiple troops coming together for classes from the local council and even neighboring councils. It would bring some well deserved attention to our airport community and an awareness of our local aviation industries. But, as I have found out, it can only be successful with the support and generosity of the airport businesses and the continued support of the local community.

Shawn Schaefer sits in the pilot’s seat of the C-119 so they were in view the whole time we were there. ―When can we go see the big ones?‖ and ―Are we going to get to go inside those?‖, were the questions I had to redirect while we were supposed to be listening to Tracey, Curtis and Mark. ―Yes, now we can go look at the big ones‖, I said. Most of the scouts were overwhelmed by the size of the two airplanes. Many of them had never seen an airplane of this size close up. They really are big airplanes! The boys took turns in the cockpits and were quizzing each other on what the instruments were and what they were for. It also brought back memories for some of the adults who remember sitting in a similar cargo bay of a C-130 in combat seating getting ready for deployment for Desert Shield. While the boys were enjoying the ―boxcars‖, we Joseph Wolfensberger and Alex Wilson check out the cockpit of a Cessna 402 with the staff of Cape Air that there was some action going on. As I recall, I think each group had something happening during their visit. There were a few instrument flights flying through the airspace, a departure and the arrival of a Cape Air flight. Those not in the tower at the time were able to listen in on my hand radio that I had tuned into the tower frequency. After the last group came down we, once again, piled into the cars and headed for our last leg of our tour, the Terminal. Todd Willman greeted us at the Cape Air desk and explained to the scouts about


Alvin Ray Johns and His Experimental Airplanes
Part 1 – ―The Green Demon‖ By Joseph E. Boyle Excerpts from an article by Kent A. Mitchell Alvin Ray Johns was born on November 30, 1917, to Cecil and Dorothy Johns in Orrstown, Pennsylvania. He grew up on his parent‘s farm and was always interested in things mechanical. As a teenager, during the long Pennsylvania winters, Ray had fun building propeller-driven ice sleds that were pushed by Model ―A‖ Ford engines and laminated wood propellers that Ray carved himself. Cub. He funded the lessons by skipping meals. Ray now decided to build another plane that would have adequate power. The power plant of choice for this new plane was a used Model ―A‖ Ford engine that he modified with a full flow oil system of his own design that provided pressurized lubrication to the main and connecting rod bearings. He cut weight everywhere possible and got the engine weight down to about 180 lbs. Ray ran the completed engine, named the ―Tornado F-4,‖ for hours to test endurance. He then completely dismantled the engine and painstakingly inspected every part. Ray said that after completing the inspection, ―I knew that I had an engine that I could trust my life to in the air‖. The 200 cubic inch engine produced about 65 hp at 2000 to 2100 rpm. That much power was adequate for a two place airplane. Ray filled the second seat before the plane was built when he married Rachael Cramer on January 3, 1938. ―Peaches,‖ as she was affectionately known, was to be Ray‘s lifelong partner. Ray designed an all wood, open cockpit, high wing parasol plane with side by side two place seating that was similar to the Pietenpol Air Camper that also used a Model ―A‖ Ford engine. First Ray made a wing rib jig, then the ribs. The fuselage was laid out on the basement floor of his parent‘s home. During this time, Ray was visited at his shop by Paul Witmer, who became interested in the project and became Ray‘s regular assistant and lifelong friend. When the project outgrew Ray‘s basement shop, it was completed in a vacant storeroom below Paul Witmer‘s apartment. After many late night work sessions over 13 months, the plane‘s component pieces were covered in fabric, doped, painted green and the landing gear, engine and the propeller that Ray had carved were installed on the fuselage. The plane had a wing span of 32 feet, was 17 feet 6 inches long and weighed 550 lbs. After taxi tests in a field adjacent to the store room, the wings were removed and the plane, now fondly named the ‖Green Demon‖, was moved that night to a field next to Ray‘s home. The wings were re-installed by headlight and the plane was taxi tested again, then tied down for the night. Ray remembers as he was having breakfast the next morning and he and Paul were discussing the upcoming first flight, his mother warned them to be very careful as Ray had very low hours to be test flying a plane that had never been flown before. ―Mother always had faith in me as I had made many things before and they always worked out all right.‖ At the field, Paul and Ray checked the ―Green Demon‖ over and. After putting on the motorcycle helmet and goggles that Ray had bought ―for flying in an open cockpit job‖, Ray climbed in and buckled the safety belt. Paul pulled the prop through until the ―Tornado F-4‖ fired. Ray then ―charged up and down the field a number of times to check if it would really fly - once actually at about two feet off the ground.‖ Once satisfied that the controls were effective and the rigging OK, Ray taxied to the far eastern corner of the field, turned west and ―gave her the gun full power.‖ The tail came up and after going over a bump, the ―Green Demon‖ was airborne. ―I climbed out of the field at a slight angle until I had 1200 feet altitude and then banked around very shallow to come back over the field. As I circled

Propeller Driven Ice Sled It seemed the natural progression that his thoughts turned to flight as Ray was infatuated with stories of WW1 pilots, Lindberg, Wiley Post and the other famous aviators of the era and their exploits. He decided to design and build his own airplane. His power plant was a 1928 Harley-Davidson V-twin motorcycle engine. He completed and taught himself to fly in this plane in 1934. He had several accidents with the plane on First Airplane short hops around the family farm and scrapped it after shearing off the landing gear and damaging the wooden fuselage beyond repair during a hard landing. The Harley-Davidson engine only produced approximately 25 horsepower, which was marginal to say the least, for a plane that Ray admitted was ―overbuilt‖ due to his lack of knowledge and experience. It flew because of Ray‘s small stature but probably never got out of ground effect. By 1937, Ray was working in a machine shop in Chambersburg, PA, and started flight instruction in a forty horsepower J-3 22

me I was wanted in the front office – something or another about my plane. I knew about what was coming. As I entered the office, I was introduced to a Mr. Anderson of the Civil Air Patrol. He asked if I would show my aircraft to him. After work I took him to the field – he looked the craft over, complimented us on the work we had done and took notes for his report. Next we went to my home where I had the machinery and tools that we had used to build the craft. My father followed us and on overhearing what was said, told him to be light on me – with a war raging in the Pacific and in Europe they may need boys like me before the war was over. Mr. Anderson only said that he would turn over his report to the Civil Aeronautics Authority for their evaluation.‖ ―In a few days, I received a letter saying I was to appear before the CAA at the Harrisburg State airport. The next day I appeared as ordered at the CAA office and was introduced to a Mr. N.J. Rogers and two other gentlemen. Mr. Rogers asked to see my pilot‘s license. The only thing I had to give was a student pilot permit. He stared at it for a long time and then said, ―I‘ll keep this‖ and placed it in his desk drawer. Rodgers looked up to me and said to sit down and tell him all about why I built this plane. I told him the whole story – that my ambition was to fly and this was the only way I saw that I could do it. He told me to go home and write the same story and send it to the CAA in Washington, DC. This I did with the help of my father. Weeks went by and I heard no word – I was in hope that it was all forgotten but finally I received a letter from Washington telling me how many regulations I had broken. However, the CAA said that they would not take any action at this time but in the event there were future violations, the Authority would take action on all violations. They did advise me that if I wanted to continue flying, I was to report to the local CAA office to discuss the requirements for having my student pilot permit reinThe Green Demon stated. This I did the very next day – before someone changed their mind.‖ Part of the deal was that, if December 7th, 1941, brought changes to the quiet Tuscarora Johns liked airplanes so much, he was to report to the Fairchild valley where Ray, Paul and the ―Green Demon‖ had been flying. Aircraft factory in nearby Hagerstown, Maryland for assignment The Government was now operating a huge installation called to a job in support of the war effort. As Ray related the story to Letterkenny Army Depot less than three miles from Ray‘s flying me, he appeared on the appointed day for his interview and was field. All civilian aircraft were grounded. The little green air- taken to the office of Armand Thieblot, the Chief Design Engiplane with no tail numbers was arousing great suspicion when neer for Fairchild. During the interview, Ray told Mr. Thieblot seen flying near the Depot. ―One evening when I got home, I that he had designed and built an airplane and had a set of plans was told that two airplanes with red, white and blue stripes on to the ―Green Demon‖ in the inside breast pocket of his jacket. the tails were circling over our field. They tried to land but the Mr. Thieblot asked to see the plans and they spent the balance of strip was too short.‖ Ray decided to make one more flight in the the interview looking over the plans and talking about the plane ―Green Demon.‖ and how it performed. Mr. Thieblot was impressed enough to ―After supper I went over to the field, fired up the ―Tornado hire Ray and he was given a job in the experimental section as a F-4‖ and took a long flight down the valley. During the flight I fabricator. Ray spent a long, interesting and rewarding career at thought to myself, ‗this is the last flight till the war is over‘. This Fairchild until his retirement in the early 1970‘s. gave me an empty feeling inside to think that I would be compelled to put the pride of my life in an old barn to collect dust Part 2 will feature the Aeronca K and the RASON Warrior X-3. and cobwebs, maybe to never fly again. The next evening I was References: told that the two airplanes with the striped tails were over our (Some quotes and information are from interviews with Ray field again. That was enough. I went over to the field with my Johns done by Kent A. Mitchell for his article in 1994) father, pushed the ship up to the old barn that was not in use, (Interview by the author with Gary and Bonnie Johns) removed the wings and pushed it in on the barn floor….at least it (Photos on loan from Gary and Bonnie Johns, son and daughter was out of sight.‖ in law of Alvin R. Johns and from the archives of the HagersAs Ray tells it, ―The next day I was on the job running a town Aviation Museum) milling machine when the Superintendent came to me and told overhead, I could see Mother and Dad standing in the front yard. I throttled back and, with power off in a fifty mph glide, was losing altitude very rapidly down to 200 feet. I went directly over Mother and Dad. They were waving to me as I opened the throttle wide and climbed for altitude and headed for the landing field. I circled the landing field, came around the corner of the woods and lined up with the strip. On the approach with power off, the ship would descend very rapidly. Power had to be used during the glide to touchdown and once it was down it stayed down.‖ After additional flights, Ray claimed that the ―Green Demon‖ would fly at 110 mph full power and cruise at 100 mph. ―The 100 mph cruise was due to the thin airfoil that I designed and used in the wing section‖ Ray said. It also produced a violent stall and inhibited low speed performance. Ray said that ―the stall felt like the props had been kicked out from under you. I also found that the aileron control was a little sluggish below 60 mph but you could keep it from spinning very easily with the rudder. This craft had no relation to the Cub I had been flying.‖ Paul was checked out as well after several flights and began flying the ―Green Demon‖. The two friends logged many hours during 1940 – 1941. 23




1943 Fairchild PT-19A Donation
1943 Fairchild PT-19, N46199, returned home to Hagerstown on March 20, 2009. Piloted by TR Proven, the PT took off from Fort Myers, FL., and three cold days later touched down in Hagerstown. The PT was donated to the museum by its owner Bob Haas. Bob owned, maintained and flew the PT for over thirty years prior to its donation. Since its arrival back home in Hagerstown, the PT has been admired by the public at museum events and air shows and has participated in a number of special event fly-overs. The museum is most grateful for Mr. Haas’ donation to the museum’s collection of Hagerstown built aircraft.

1942 Fairchild PT-26A Donation
Joining the museum’s three PT-19s is a 1942 closed canopy version designated the PT-26. Fairchild PT-26s were developed for training in colder climates and many, including this one, were used in Canada. This PT-26, N67949, was donated to the museum by Mrs. Sandra Brown and family of Lake Ridge, VA in memory of husband and father Pasco Brown. Mr. Brown was a retired Air Force Colonel who acquired the PT-26 in 1989 and enjoyed many years of flying this Hagerstown built aircraft. The museum thanks the Brown family for this generous donation.

Homebuilt Aircraft Donations

The BD-5 Micro is a small single-seat homebuilt kit aircraft created in the 1960’s by aircraft designer Jim Bede. This BD-5 was built by Walter and June Green of Hagerstown MD and donated to the museum in April, 2010. Walter is a former Fairchild employee and both are members of EAA Chapter 36 and the museum.

The Varieze is a composite, canard aircraft designed by Burt Rutan. It is a high performance homebuilt. This Varieze was built by Robert Woodall in 1979 and was donated to the museum in Sept. 2010, by his grandchildren Christopher Wells of Centreville, MD. and Pamela Stockard of Louisville, KY

The Monnett Moni is a sport aircraft developed in the U.S. in the early 1980’s and marketed for homebuilding. This aircraft was built by Thomas Keefer and donated to the museum in March, 2010 by his wife Sally Keefer of Lucketts, VA.


119 ld Circhi Fa

Fairch i

ld C-8


C-119 assembly line in the Fairchild Aircraft factory, Showalter Road, Hagerstown, MD 1951


Historic Collection Donated To Museum

ne k Pla 0 Pac 2 XC-1

Sherman Fairchild

2s F C-8 USA

The A. Daniel Frankforter collection of aviation photographs, documents and artifacts was recently donated to the museum by his sons Daniel and David Frankforter. Dan was employed by Fairchild Aircraft from 1942 until his premature death at the age of 40 in 1955. At the time of his death he was chief photographer for the public relations department. The museum is grateful that Dan‘s sons donated their father‘s collection to the museum. Dan‘s superb photographs document a significant part of Fairchild history and the museum is honored to preserve his work.

Fairch i

ld XN Q

C-82 gets a kiss

Jimmy Doolittle in C-82

Traine r

To Donate Historic Artifacts Call 301-733-8717

100 Years Ago – September 23, 1911:

Pilot Paul Peck's Rex Smith Flying Machine Takes to the Skies Over Chambersburg, Pennsylvania – Twice!

ing its disassembly, Peck's plane was taken by railcar to Washington, DC, while he and his wife also rode along.

Tragically, Peck was killed while piloting a bi-plane less than a year later (on September 11, 1912) while representing the United States in an aerial trophy race in Chicago. He was not yet 24 at 2011 is the year that marks the 100th Anniversary of Flight in the the time of his death. Cumberland Valley. Very few photos were taken by the local Chambersburg newspaOn September 23, 1911, Col. Paul Peck of Ansted, Virgina, a per to record these historic local flights (and few photo postcards daring young pilot in his early 20s, came to Chambersburg, Penn- still exist). The three original images below show sylvania. Peck's preparation and flight over Chambersburg that day. At the start of his career as an aviator, Peck learned to fly within just two weeks (when Lindbergh was only 9 years old), and was among the very first pilots ever hired for the 'new' U.S. Airmail service. He worked as a test pilot for the Rex Smith Aeroplane Company of College Park, MD. On August 5, 1911, he was the first person ever to fly over the U.S. Capitol Building, down Pennsylvania Avenue, and circle the Washington Monument, thrilling crowds and covering 24 miles in 25 minutes, setting a speed record. (Later, he became known for his American duration record on May 24, 1912 when he remained in the air for 4 hours, 33 minutes and 15 seconds – partly in a windstorm and blinding rain (remember, this was in 1912!). Just eight weeks after his dramatic flight in Washington and following an air exhibition hosted by The Patriot News newspaper in nearby Harrisburg, Peck was lured in late September to Chambersburg by an offer of $1,000 (a princely sum in those days), paid by the local Chamber of Commerce to fly a new type of 'airship' as a public exhibition for the local townspeople. He launched his bi-plane from a farm field northeast of downtown Chambersburg (near what is now the mall at Chambersburg Crossing at Norland Avenue). A few minutes later, he landed in another field on the southern outskirts of town (in a large pasture known as 'Brandon', near what is now the Wayne Avenue area). As you can see from the image depicting him in the cockpit, seated atop an old wooden crate for a seat, this truly was a case of Paul Peck the aviator being one of those 'magnificent men in their flying machines!'

With a steering wheel and few other controls, Paul Peck sits in his cockpit, while in the photo below, an airborne Peck flies over the town's Square.

Paul Peck's plane is readied for its flight; he is seen crouching at the left.

Photos are provided courtesy of Maurice Marotte III of Chambersburg, PA, noted local historian and author of several books Some time later he took to the skies again – this time flying dion Chambersburg's past. His web site and information can be rectly over the town's Square – encircling the tall spire of Central found at www.vintagefranklincountypa.com. Presbyterian Church in the town's center and again landing in the same field where he had initially taken off. The next day follow30

The aircraft and organizations on the following pages are planning to participate in the Hagerstown Wings and Wheels Expo 2011 on October 15 & 16. Expo info: www.WingsandWheelsExpo.com

1911 Ely-Curtiss Pusher
Bob Coolbaugh, owner and builder of the 1911 Ely-Curtiss Pusher replica, is planning to fly it to Hagerstown for the Wings and Wheels Expo 2011 weekend event. Visit the Expo and see the only flying replica of Eugene B Ely‘s 1911 Curtiss Pusher on its 2011 journey across America, celebrating the Centennial of Naval Aviation. The Pusher will also help celebrate Franklin County, Pennsylvania‘s 100th Anniversary of Flight. Flight demonstrations are planned each day. Andrew King and Steve Roth, both friends of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum, are part of the 1911 Ely-Curtiss Pusher Crew. Bob and Andrew take turns flying the aircraft. ElyCurtissPusher.com

Experimental Aircraft the aircraft used. Association (EAA) Helps ―Many chilYoung People Into The dren are curious about Skies flying and would welMembers of local Chapter 36 of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) are part of an effort to make dreams of flight come true for young people. The Hagerstown EAA Chapter 36 is participating in Young Eagles Flights as part of EAA‘s on-going program to introduce young people to aviation. Since the program was launched in 1992, more than 1.5 million young people have taken a free airplane flight. During each flight, the pilots demonstrate how airplanes fly and the proper preparations for a safe flight. After a short introductory airplane ride, each Young Eagle receives their own logbook to record their flight and a certificate signed by the pilot commemorating the event. The certificate is also co-signed by current Young Eagles Chairman, Captain Sullenberger and First Officer Skiles of the US Airways Flight 1549. Both are active EAA member and Young Eagles pilots who have personally flown Young Eagles. In addition to the certificate, each Young Eagle is entered into the World‘s Largest Logbook housed within the EAA Air Adventure Museum in Oshkosh, Wis. The logbook records the Young Eagle, the participating pilot, the date of the flight and come a first-hand experience,‖ said Poberezny. ―There‘s no other program that does that like EAA‘s Young Eagles.‖ For more information on the program, contact Chapter 36 coordinator, Mark Hissey at 717- 349-7191 or the EAA Young Eagles Office at 877-806-8902. Volunteers and contributions from aviation-minded companies and individuals support the Young Eagles program. Young Eagle information — including an on-line version of the World‘s Largest Logbook — is also available via the World Wide Web at www.youngeagles.org. The purpose of this Chapter is to is to foster, promote, and engage in education through an environment that fosters safety and high standards in the design, construction, restoration, and operation of all recreational aircraft, as well as encouragement to facilitate an atmosphere where all are welcome to join-in and become a part of recreational aviation. For more information contact: Hagerstown, EAA Chapter 36, Young Eagles Coordinator, Mark Hissey@ 717-349-7191

Civil Air Patrol (CAP) is a Congressionally chartered, federally supported, non-profit corporation that serves as the official civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force (USAF).[2] CAP is a volunteer organization with an aviation-minded membership that includes people from all backgrounds, lifestyles, and occupations. It performs three congressionally assigned key missions: emergency services, which includes search and rescue (by air and ground) and disaster relief operations; aerospace education for youth and the general public; and cadet programs for teenage youth. In addition, CAP has recently been tasked with homeland security and courier service missions. CAP also performs nonauxiliary missions for various governmental and private agencies, such as local law enforcement and the American Red Cross. The program is established as an organization by Title 10 of the United States Code and its purposes defined by Title 36. While CAP is sponsored by the USAF, it is not an operating reserve component under the Air Force or the federal government..
Membership in the organization consists of cadets ranging from 12 to 20 years of age, and senior members 18 years of age and up. These two groups each have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of pursuits; the Cadet program contributes to the development of the former group with a structured syllabus and 32

an organization based upon United States Air Force ranks and pay grades, while the older members serve as instructors, supervisors, and operators. All members wear uniforms while performing their duties. Nationwide, CAP is a major operator of single-engine general aviation aircraft, used in the execution of its various missions, including orientation flights for cadets and the provision of significant emergency services capabilities. Because of these extensive flying opportunities, many CAP members become licensed pilots. The hierarchical and military auxiliary organization is headed by the National Headquarters (with authority over the national organization) followed by eight regional commands and 52 wings (each of the 50 states plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico). Each wing supervises the individual groups and squadrons that comprise the basic operational unit of the organization. Hagerstown Civil Air Patrol meets every Tuesday evening, behind Nick's Airport Inn, from 7 to 9 PM. Our address is 18621 Jarkey Drive and if you would like more information please call Lt Col Barry McNew, CAP at 717-762-2962. At the present time we have 40 Seniors and 60 Cadets at our squadron.

Warrior Aviation is comprised of a team of individuals and assets assembled
together to bring rewarding opportunities to those who have served their country and sacrificed tremendously in the process, yet still strive to give even more of themselves. Sgt. Neal Duncan put it best when he said, ―I can provide the will and strength but there has to be opportunity.‖ Warrior Aviation aims to be the provider of that opportunity, allowing Sgt. Duncan and his fellow veterans to return to a productive work life and solid economic citizenship. As an experienced team of aviation enthusiasts and business leaders, we have assembled a five-part program designed to create and deliver opportunity: 1. Enrollment 2. Training 3. Mentoring 4. Job Placement Assistance 5. Recruitment. The Warrior Flight Team provides both the Enrollment and the Recruitment portions of our program. These components are designed to expose new candidates to their options and potential career paths, and ultimately enroll them into our empowerment programs. We reach out to veterans groups who have interested wounded veteran participants and solicit their participation in our public awareness campaigns and honor ceremonies. We conduct these campaigns at large well-attended events like air shows and sports contests where millions of people can publically recognize and honor the veterans for their sacrifices. The wounded warriors can enhance their own healing process through the social networking aspects of these large public events and through renewed camaraderie with fellow veterans who have had similar experiences. We work with many veterans organizations to solicit participation from their registered members so they may be included in the opportunities we provide. For more information: Phone; 240-397-9750, Website; www.WarriorAviation.org

Dedicated to Preserving the Memory and Legacy of the Berlin Airlift of 1948-1949 The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation is dedicated to preserving the memory and legacy
of the greatest humanitarian/aviation event in history, The Berlin Airlift. Our Mission is to preserve this memory by preserving several aircraft used in the great event and creating "Flying Memorials and Classrooms" with the purpose of educating the public about this pivotal, yet forgotten, event in world history. Founded in 1988, the Foundation has obtained and restored to flying condition, a Douglas C-54E transport aircraft, that helped support the C-54's which carried out this great mission. Named "SPIRIT OF FREEDOM", the aircraft is painted to represent the 48th Troop Carrier Squadron, one of the many groups which carried out the event. Inside, the "SPIRIT", is a genuine museum dedicated to the Berlin Airlift, filled with artifacts, displays, and information explaining this all important event in recent history. Sincr 1996, the Foundation has also taken on an even BIGGER challenge: The Boeing C-97. This large 4-engined aircraft is one of only 2 left flying in the world today. The Foundation purchased this aircraft in 1996, and is planning to create a flying exhibit dedicated to the Berlin Airlift and the Cold War. For more information: Phone 732-818-0034 Website: www.SpiritofFreedom.org


Branching Out in Hagerstown
By J. Mader Every organization defines itself by establishing its mission and by setting the goals it needs to achieve that mission. By its very nation, Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics (PIA) operates with three specific goals in mind. First and foremost, as a private -non-profit entity, PIA must be able to sustain itself without external assistance. Stories of high quality organizations that failed financially and no longer exist are legendary. Second, the school must be able endow its students clients with the skills needed to be successful in the career field of their choice. PIA prides itself in its alumni, the people who afford the school the reputation it currently enjoys. Graduates, in turn, benefit from quality education received. Third, PIA must avail its industry clients of the human resources necessary to be successful. If the technicians acquired from PIA are valuable assets to the organization and there are no enough of them to be effective, all parties involved suffer. Enrollment at the Main Campus in West Mifflin, PA has reached and maintained a plateau in recent years. And although the school is sustaining itself financially and continues to present a quality education, it is not achieving its third goal of providing the aviation industry with the requisite number of entry-level technicians. Thus, PIA has decided to pursue a policy of expanding its student population by adding more locations. The Youngstown-Warren Campus, which opened its doors in August 2006, continues to grow, and is reaching the enviable problem of running out of space. Another branch campus has recently opened in Maryland. The Hagerstown Branch Campus is situated on the Hagerstown Regional Airport. It currently occupies 11,000 sq. ft. in the Top Flight Airpark, a building that formerly housed the Fairchild Aircraft Company‘s A-10 Thunderbolt II production line. The new location‘s immediate neighbors include Sierra Nevada Corporation, Augusta-Westland Helicopters, and Rider Jet. These on-field employers are eager to reap the harvest of technicians who will flow from PIA‘s newest affiliate. The school began classes on April 29, 2011 and this first group graduate on August 17, 2012. Opening a new location is always a major endeavor. First,

the necessary approvals must be obtained, in this case from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) and the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The approval process for each of these regulating agencies is divided into two components, an initial phase when a great deal of planning and operational procedure is revealed, and a second phase when the final details, including an onsite inspection, are realized. PIA completed the initial phase for each entity and received the accompanying approvals to continue from all three agencies. After the initial endorsements were received, equipment and staff was acquired. Most importantly, experienced and qualified staff members have been hired and are helping to build out the facility. PIA‘s Hagerstown Campus offers both full-time and parttime training for aviation maintenance technicians in the form of a 1900hour, FAA-approved curriculum. The full-time program can be completed in 16 months, and the part-time course of study in 32 months. Completers will receive a diploma and authorization to test for their Airframe and Power Plant Certification. Students will be able to use federal financial aid to help pay for tuition and living costs. Those who wish to acquire an associate degree can transfer to the Main Campus for only six months and add that credential to their resumes. PIA looks forward to the addition of this high quality learning site where it can provide its two most important clients, students and the industries they serve, with the skills and resources that they both need to be successful, and in so doing, continue to achieve its mission.

Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley speaks at the Grand Opening of PIA’s Hagerstown campus.

Dr. James Mader,PIA’s Director of Education, speaks to audience at the April 30 Grand Opening.


Support The New Pegasus magazine by sponsoring a display ad in the next issue! Call 301-733-8717 for more information

Flight School



Support The Museum !
You are invited to become a supporter of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum, an IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt, non-profit organization, by making a financial donation to the museum. Since the museum is staffed entirely by volunteers, your donation directly supports the operation and continuing activities of the museum. Your financial donation will contribute to the preservation of Hagerstown‘s aviation heritage and ensure that future generations will learn of the men and women who created that heritage.

The museum, an all volunteer organization, greatly appreciates the time and talent contributed by its past and present volunteers. It is only with their loyal support that the museum has been able to continue its mission of preserving and presenting Hagerstown‘s rich aviation heritage. Additional volunteers are always needed, and you are requested to consider joining the museum‘s volunteer ranks. Help is needed to catalog and index the museum‘s collection, to keep the office running smoothly, to assist in marketing and promotion, to help at events, to help move and maintain aircraft and a host of other activities. If you are able to donate some of your time, please contact the museum by phone, 301-733-8717, by letter or by email, info@hagerstownaviationmuseum.org

See the past four issues of the New Pegasus magazine online at: www.HagerstownAviationMuseum.org

Support the Hagerstown Aviation Museum by becoming a member!

Museum Membership Form
Name:______________________ Date:______ Street:______________________ City:_________________________ State:_____ Zip:________ Phone:___________________ Email:___________________________
My interest in Hagerstown‘s aviation history is: _____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________ I would like to learn more about being a volunteer:__________

Annual Membership Levels
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Individual Contributor Supporter Patron Leader Benefactor $30 $50 $100 $200 $500 $1000 or more

Request “The New Pegasus” for a friend:

Name___________________________________ Street___________________________________ City__________________ State___Zip________

Make Checks Payable to:
HAGERSTOWN AVIATION MUSEUM 14235 Oak Springs Rd Hagerstown MD 21742 301-733-8717 The New Pegasus, No. 5 2011

The Hagerstown Aviation Museum, Inc. is a 501C3 non-profit corporation 36

Gift Shop
Order Now !

“HAGERSTOWN– REMEMBERING OUR AVIATION HERITAGE” 3 DVD COLLECTION DVD #1: Hagerstown, Maryland, has played a significant role in the history of aviation. For more than eighty years, local men and women designed and built aircraft that made Hagerstown one of the leading centers of aviation manufacturing. Recently discovered images and rare local film footage document the pioneering days of Bellanca, Kreider, Reisner, Fairchild and Henson. See how the massive expansion of Fairchild Aircraft during WWII, the development of the C-119 “Flying Boxcar” and the world famous A-10 Thunderbolt II shaped the Hagerstown community and the world of aviation. Follow aviation historian Kurtis Meyers on a journey to discover the people, places, planes and events that shaped Hagerstown’s aviation heritage. This film preserves a vital part of the community’s aviation history and commemorates the hard work and dedication of those who lived it! DVD #2: Included in this Collectors Edition set is a Bonus DVD of rare, original films of the C123H STOL, F27, Porter, FH1100 helicopter, the A10 “Warthog”. These promotional films show Fairchild’s amazing aircraft in operation and highlight the abilities that made them unique. Interviews with Richard “Dick” Henson are also included. NEW BONUS DVD #3: See Hagerstown Aviation Museum activities. Last flights of the museum C82 and C-119, ride in the PT-19 ans more. 54 minutes Broadcast on Maryland Public Television (3 DVDS) $30

Fairchild Aircraft embroidered logo. Museum name on back. Tan & Maroon $15.00, Blue & Gold $20.00 (Additional hats available online) Companion book to the documentary. 164 pages. $22

C-119 Hagerstown Homecoming
This commemorative DVD highlights the C-119’s donation by Bob Stanford in 2006, the extensive inspection and repair required to make the Flying Boxcar ready for its flight, ride along with the crew and the emotional Hagerstown Homecoming on November 16th, 2008. See the excitement of the long journey home with over 60 minutes of video footage and still images provided by over 20 volunteer videographers and photographers. This historic flight was only possible by the generous contributions of over 450 individuals throughout the Hagerstown community and beyond. DVD $20

"Hagerstown During World War II Images of the Maryland Homefront"
With over 370 pages and over 650 images this book will take you on a nostalgic journey to meet the people, tour the workplaces and experience life in Hagerstown During World War II. This book showcases major industries, civil defense, fund drives, education, transportation and so much more. $35

To order: Call 301-733-8717 or order online at www.HagerstownAviationMuseum.org Or send check or money order plus $5.00 shipping to: Hagerstown Aviation Museum, 14235 Oak Springs Rd. Hagerstown, MD 21742 37


RC Airplanes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, Model Supplies


For All Auto Body & Paint Needs