Sri Guru Gita
Sung in English and Sanskrit by Sanjay Mahajan with Rupali & Saveri
Vowels: a aa i ii u uu R^ as in up, soda as in father as in fill, pin as in feed as in full, bush as in fool, rule similar to the ri in Christmas (but not pronouncing the “i”)
Please note: the letter R^ is a vowels, and is not to be confused with the consonant “r.” e ai o au aM aH as in they, pray (always long) as in aisle as in go as in how as in hum is a final sound pronounced with a stronger puff of air and the suggestion of the vowel preceding it. For example, aH sounds like aha.
Consonants: k kh g gh ~N ch chh as in seek as in back-hand as in good as in dig-hard as in sing, monkey as in pitch ch as in Church-hill
as in joy as in hedge-hog as in canyon as in tub as in hit-hard as in deer as in red-hot as in not as in pat (with the tongue touching the back of the teeth) as in hit-hard (with the tongue touching the back of the teeth) as in dense (with the tongue touching the back of the teeth) as in red-hot (with the tongue touching the back of the teeth) as in nut (with the tongue touching the back of the teeth) as in pin as in up-hill as in bird as in abhor as in mud as in yes as in ladder (when said quickly) as in light as in voice as in sun as in shun (with the top of the tongue against the palate) as in sure (with the tongue pulled back and the tip touching the ridge of the back of teeth) h as in honey L as in rattle x as in kshatriya (warrior caste) j~n j before ~n is pronunced g like god; together j~n sounds like g-nya shr as in shrew but with the tongue tapping against the back of the teeth j jh ~n T Th D Dh N t th d dh n p ph b bh m y r l v s sh shh
Puraa kailaasashikhare siddhagandharvasevite tatra kalpalataapuShpamandire.atyantasundare vyaaghraajine samaasinaM shukaadimunivanditam.h bodhayantaM paraM tatvaM shashvannamaskurvantamaadaraat.h dR^iShTvaa vismayamaapannaa paarvatii paripR^ichchhati Parvathi came to serve her Lord Shiva, Seated on beautiful Mount Kailas; With deep devotion she bowed Her head, In a reverent voice she said:
VedshaastrapuraaNaani chetihaasaadikaani cha maMtrayaMtravidyaadinimohanochchaaTanaadikam.h shaivashaaktaagamaadini hyanye cha bahavo mataaH apabhraMshaaH samastaanaaM jiivaanaaM bhraaMtachetasaam.h japastapovrataM tiirthaM yaj~no daanaM tathaiva cha guru tatvaM avij~naaya sarvaM vyarthaM bhavet.h priye Penance, vows and sacrifice, Pilgrimages and charity, Leave that seeker in ignorance, Who knows not the Guru’s worth.
bhagavan.h sarvadharmaj~na vrataanaaM vratanaayakam.h bruuhi me kR^ipayaa shambho gurumaahaatmyamuttamam.h I surrender to Thee, 0 adorable Lord, Supreme teacher of the Universe Eternally pure, 0 highest God, Please teach me of the Sadguru.
Gurubudhyaatmano naanyat.h satyaM satyaM varaanane tallabhaarthaM prayatnastu karttavayashacha maniiShibhiH The Guru verily is consciousness, There is no doubt He is absolute; Thus a wise man who seeks the truth, Will find it in his Sadguru.
Na vaktavyamidaM devi rahasyaatirahasyakam.h na kasyaapi puraa proktaM tvadbhaktyarthaM vadaami tat mam.h ruupaasi devi tvamatastatkathayaami te lokopakaarakaH prashno na kenaapi kR^itaH puraa Shiva spoke to Goddess Parvathi, ‘Thou art That,’ it has been proclaimed; No one’s ever asked this boon but Thee, But I’ll give it to everyone.
GuuDhaavidyaa jaganmaayaa dehashachaaj~naanasambhavaH vij~naanaM yatprasaadena gurushabdena kathayate Because of doubt and ignorance Truth is hidden from the scattered mind; Guru removes it with His light, The Divine Mother is revealed.
Yo guru sa shivaH prokto yaH shivaH sa gurusmR^itaH vikalpaM yastu kurviita sa naro gurutalpagaH I am revealing, 0 beautiful one The mystery of the universe; God is not different from the Sadguru, In Truth they’re always One.
Dehii brahma bhavedyasmaat.h tvatkR^ipaarthaMvadaami tat.h sarvapaapavishuddhaatmaa shriiguroH paadasevanaat.h When a devotee serves at his Master’s feet, All his sins will be washed away; His peaceful mind will reflect the Self; In love I disclose this to Thee.
GurupaadodakaM paanaM guroruchchhiShTabhojanam.h gururmuurte sadaa dhyaanaM gurornaamnaH sadaa japaH Drink the water from the Guru’s feet, Take the prasad which He leaves for Thee; Repeat His mantram reverently, Meditate on His form divine.
14. Guruvaktre sthitaa vidyaa gurubhaktyaa cha labhyate trailokye sfuTavaktaaro devarShipitR^imaanavaaH Not gods or demons of any realm, Know the wisdom of the Sadguru; But serve Him with the purest love, His knowledge will bloom in Thee. 15. Gukaarashchaandhakaaro hi rukaarasteja uchyate aj~naanagraasakaM brahma gurureva na saMshayaH The syllable ‘Gu’ represents darkness; The syllable ‘Ru’ stands for radiant Light; There is no doubt Guru is the Lord; He dispells darkness with His light. 16. GukaaraH prathamo varNo maayaadi guNabhaasakaH rukaaro.asti paraM brahma maayaabhraantivimochakam.h ‘Gu’ is illusory changing world; That which appears to be real to men; ‘Ru’ is the Supreme Consciousness, Ever free from Maya’s veil. 17. EvaM bahuvidhaaloke guravaH santi paarvati teShu sarvapratnena sevyo hi paramo guruH With unshaking faith the wise men say, There is nothing higher than the Sadguru; Everything He could possibly use, The aspirant should offer Him. 18. Gukaarashchaandhakaarohi rukaarasteja uchyate aj~naanagraasakaM brahma gurureva na saMshayaH Devotees should try to please their Lord, With all the gifts they offer Him; To win His gifts forever more, Dedicate Thy life to Him.
10. KaashiikShetraM nivaasashcha jaahnavii charaNodakam.h gururvishveshvaraH saakShaat.h taarakaM brahmanishchayaH All holy rivers and sacred spots, Holy trees and holy lands, Reside in the water from the Guru’s Feet; Salutations I offer Him. 11. TasmaatkaivalyasiddhayarthaM gurumeva bhajetpriye guruM vinaa na jaananti muuDhaastatparamaM padam.h On His form meditate all day; Sing in thy heart His holy name; Follow His teachings carefully; Let the mind ever rest on Him. 12. Guruvaktre sthitaM brahma praapyate tatprasaadataH gurordhyaanaM sadaa kuryaat.h puruuShaM svairiNii yathaa Supreme knowledge from the Guru’s lips, Can be realized through His grace alone; Inside the heart keep His precious love, As a wife keeps her husband there.. 13. SvaashramaM cha svajaatiM cha svakiirti puShTivardhanam.h etatsarvaM parityajya gurumeva samaashrayet.h Forget the role that you play in life; Let go of status, success and fame; In each situation in which you’re placed, Remember the Guru’s name.
19. DhruvaM teShaaMcha savaiShaaM naastitattvaM guroH param. aasanaM shayanaM vastraM vaahanaM bhuuSha Naadikam. Continually serve the Sadguru, In every thought and word and deed; Prostrate fully in front of Him, Without reservation in Thy mind. 20. Aadhakena pradaatavyaM gurusantoShakaaraNam. guroraaraadhanaMkuryaat.h yatpirayaMtat nivedayet. shariiraM arthaMsarvasvaM sadgugurubhyonivedayet yenoddhatamaidaMsarva tasmaishriiguravenamaH Surrender all to the Sadguru, Body, senses and vital force; Let go Thy hold of your relatives; Offer Him Thy very soul. 21. SaMsaaravR^ikShamaaruu.DhaaH patanti narakaarNave yastaanuddharate sarvaan.h tasmai shriigurave namaH Guru frees souls from the Tree of Life, Lifting them to heights divine; Even those drowning in the depths of pain; Salutations I offer Him. 22. ShoShaNaM paapapaMkasya diipanaM j~naanatejasaH guroH paadodakaM samyak.h saMsaaraarNavataarakam.h He is the first cause of the world; The bridge to cross the worldly sea; The source of knowledge is in Him; Salutations to the Sadguru.
23. DvaitaadvaitavinirmuktaH svaanubhuutiprakaashavaan.h aj~naanaandhamashchhettaa sarvaj~na paramo guruH With His crystal stick of divine knowledge, The Guru opens the blind man’s eyes; Veiled by clouds of ignorance, Guru makes Him see again. 24. Vidyaa dhanaM balaM chaiva teShaaM bhaagyaM nirarthakam.h yeShaaM gurukR^ipaa naasti adho gachchhanti paarvati Thou art my mother and my father too; Thou art my brother, Thou art my friend; Thou art my knowledge, Thou art my wealth; My light of lights Thou art. 25. Yaavatkalpaantako dehastaavaddevi guruM smaret.h gurulopo na karttavyaH svachchhando yadi vaa bhavet.h The Guru’s existence makes life go on; He is the sun by whose light we live; His love makes all love possible; Salutations I offer Him. 26. ByenedaM darshitaM tattvaM chittachaityaadikaM tathaa jaagratsvapnasuShuptyaadi tasmai shriigurave namaH He enables the mind to perceive this world; Although we can’t know Him with the mind; The witness of all three states of mind: Waking, dreaming and deepest sleep. 27. Yasya j~naanamidaM vishvaM na dR^ishyaM bhinnabhedataH sadaikaruuparuupaaya tasmai shriigurave namaH He’s known only when we do not know Him; Those who claim to, know Him not; Nothing else but He exists; Salutations to the Sadguru.
28. Yasmai kaaraNaruupaaya kaaryaruupeNa bhaati yat.h kaaryakaaraNaruupaaya tasmai shriigurave namaH Verily Thou art the primal cause; Though men see you as an effect; You are cause and effect in one, Salutations I offer Thee. 29. Chaaturyavaanvivekii cha adhyaatmaj~naanavaan.h shuchiH maanasaM nirmalaM yasya gurutvaM tasya shobhate Supreme form of Guru is pure nectar; To one with the eye of discrimination; A blind man’s eyes cannot see the sun, So is His glory hid. 30. Svadeshikasyaiva cha naamakiirtanam bhavedanantasyashivasya kiirtanam.h svadeshikasyaiva cha naamachintanam bhavedanantasyashivasya naamachintanam.h To meditate on the Guru’s form, Is to meditate on the ever-pure; To chant with devotion the Guru’s name, Is to chant Lord Shiva’s name. 31. BhavaaraNyapraviShTasya diDmohabhraantachetasaH yena sandarshitaH panthaaH tasmai shriigurave namaH A speck of dust from the Master’s feet, Forms a bridge o’er the sea of change; All our delusion can be undone; Worship Him in everyone.
32. SakalabhuvanasR^iShTiH kalpitaasheShasR^iShTiH nikhilanigamadR^iShTiH satpadaarthaikasR^iShTiH atadgaNaparameShTiH satpadaarthaikadR^iShTiH bhavaguNaparameShTirmokShamaargaikadR^iShTiH His dance creates and nourishes the world; He penetrates the essence of scripture too; Ignoring wealth, His eyes are fixed, Ever on the final goal. 33. Yasya darshanamaatreNa manasaH syaat.h prasannataa svayaM bhuuyaat.h dhR^itishshaantiH sa bhavet.h paramo guruH His glance is the pillar that supports the world; It showers compassion and grace on all; Permeated by the bliss of consciousness, May His glance enlighten me. 34. MtraraajamidaM devi gururityakSharadvayam.h smR^itivedapuraaNaanaaM saarameva na saMshayaH The word ‘Guru’ is the best mantram, As pure as the gold refined by fire; Tested fully in reason’s flame, Forever protects us from death. 35. SarvakaalavidesheShu svataMtro nishchalassukhii akhaNDaikarasaasvaadatR^ipto hi paramo guruH He appears to move though He does not move; He appears as near though He’s far away; He is within and without as well; He resides in the hearts of all.
36. Sarvaj~napadamityaahurdehii sarvamayo bhuvi sadaa.anandaH sadaa shaanto ramate yatra kutrachit.h I am stainless and totally pure, Before the stars and galaxies; Even before the creation of life, Blissful and imperishable. 37. SarvashrutishiroratnaviraajitapadaaMbujam.h vedaantaarthapravaktaaraM tasmaatsaMpuujayed.h gurum.h Always remember the Sadguru; Knowledge dawns through His gracious light; Through the scriptures or inference, Or through one’s experience. 38. Atyantachittapakvasya shraddhaabhaktiyutasya cha pravaktavyamidaM devi mamaatmapriitaye sadaa 0 Parvathi, to Thee I speak, This theme on which Thou should reflect; Thy heart is pure, Thy mind serene, So the Truth shall dawn in Thee. 39. Yadyapyadhiitaa nigamaaH ShaDaMgaa aagamaaH priye adhyaatmaadiini shaastraaNi j~naanaM naasti guruM vinaa The crest-jewels of all scriptures, Serve but to decorate the Guru’s feet; He is the sun with His rays of light, He opens the lotus of Truth. 40. YasyasmaraNamaatreNa j~naanamutpadyate svayam.h saH eva sarvasampattiH tasmaatsaMpuujayed.h gurum.h By merely remembering the Sadguru, Spontaneous knowledge will dawn in Thee; Attaining Him, all will be attained; Salutations I offer Him.
41. AgocharaM tathaa.agamyaM naamaruupavivarjitam.h niHshabdaM tu vijaaniiyaatsvaabhaavaad.h brahma parvati He is peace and bliss supreme, Transcending all He is without stain; Beyond sounds, visions and bondages; Salutations I offer Him. 42. BahujanmakR^itaat.h puNyaallabhyate.asau mahaaguruH labdhvaa.amuM na punaryaati shiShyaH saMsaarabandhanam.h Through the fire of self-knowledge Accumulated karmas from all past lives, Have been erased by the flame of Truth; Salutations to the Sadguru. 43. Gurureko jagatsarvaM brahmaviShNushivaatmakam.h guroH parataraM naasti tasmaatsaMpuujayed.h gurum.h No truth is higher than the Sadguru; Nothing purifies more than service to Him; Nothing realized could be higher than Him; Salutations to the Sadguru. 44. GuruH shivo gururdevo gururbandhuH shariiriNaam.h gururaatmaa gururjiivo guroranyanna vidyate My Guru is the Lord of the universe; My Guru, the Master of all the worlds; My Self is the Self of everything, Salutations to the Sadguru.
45. Na sukhaM vedashaastreShu na sukhaM maMtrayaMtrake guroH prasaadaadanyatra sukhaM naasti mahiitale chaavaarkavaiShNavamate sukhaM prabhaakare na hi guroH paadaantike yadvatsukhaM vedaantasammatam.h The root of meditation is the Guru’s form; The root of worship, the Guru’s feet; The root of mantram is the Guru’s word; The root of freedom is His grace. 46. ApuurvamaparaM nityaM svayaM jyotirniraamayam.h virajaM paramaakaashaM dhruvamaanandamavyayam.h He has no beginning; He’s without end; God and Guru are always one; Nothing is higher than the Sadguru; Salutations I offer Him. 47. Shive ruShTe gurustraataa gurau ruShTe na kashchana labdhvaa kulaguruM samyaggurumeva samaashrayet.h The Guru can protect from the Lord’s anger; But none can be saved from the Guru’s wrath; Therefore strive with all Thy heart, To find refuge at the Guru’s feet. 48. GururviShNuH sattvamayo raajasashchaturaananaH taamaso ruudraruupeNa sR^ijatyavati hanti cha The whole universe is contained in Him; He creates, sustains and destroys it too; Nothing but Himself in this world exists; Prostrations to the Sadguru.
49. Yaavatkalpaantako dehastaavaddevi guruM smaret.h gurulopo na karttavyaH svachchhando yadi vaa bhavet.h Realization of the Self in You, Is won through devotion to the Sadguru; Nothing is greater; He is alone; Meditate on Him—His grace is won. 50. MmahaahaMkaaragarveNa tapovidyaabalenacha bhramantyetasminasaMsaare ghaTiiyaMtraMtathaa punaH Though one is endowed with self-discipline; Learning and strength may have been acquired; One still spins on illusion’s wheel, Due to ego and selfish pride. 51. Yaj~nino.api na muktaaH syuH na muktaaH yoginastathaa taapasaa api no mukta gurutatvaatparaaDmukhaaH devakinnaragandharvaaH pitR^iyakShaastu tumburuH munayo.api na jaananti gurushushruuShaNe vidhim.h Not even gods in heaven are free, Nor angels nor spirits on astral planes; Bondage ties down even the saints, If they’ll not serve the Sadguru. 52. Gurordhyaanenaiva nityaM dehii brahmamayo bhavet.h sthitashcha yatrakutraapi mukto.asau naatra saMshayaH Supreme Goddess, 0 Parvathi, Meditate on Guru ceaselessly; Pleasures and comforts will be Yours; Liberation will open its doors.
53. Yathaa gandhasvabhaavatvaM karpuurakusumaadiShu shiitoShNasvabhaavatvaM tathaa brahmaNi shaashvatam.h I remember my Guru who is Brahman; I speak of my Guru who is Brahman; Surrender to my Guru who is Brahman; I serve Him as Brahman too. 54. J~naanashaktisamaaruuDhatattvamaalaavibhuuShaNe bhuktimuktipradaatre cha tasmai shriigurave namaH Salutations to the Supreme One; Full of bliss and happiness; Knowledge personified, infinite, Eternal, pure and free. 55. BbrahmaanandaM paramasukhadaM kevalaM j~naanamuurtiM dvandvaatiitaM gaganasadR^ishaM tatvamasyaadilakShyam.h ekaM nityaM vimalamachalaM sarvadhiisaakShibhuutam bhaavatiitaM triguNarahitaM sadguruM taM namaami He is the goal of ‘Thou art That;’ The witness of all the universe; Free from nature’s qualities, Beyond the finite mind. 56. HR^idambuje karNikamadhyasaMsthe siMhaasane saMsthitadivyamuurtim.h dhyaayedguruM chandrakalaaprakaasham.h sachchitsukhaabhiiShTavaraMadhaanam.h His form is seated on a throne divine; In the lotus of Thy heart; He shines like the moon, bestowing boons, He awakens the conscious mind.
57. AtrinetraH shivaH saakShaat.h dvibaahushcha hariH smR^itaH yo.achaturvadano brahmaa shriiguruH kathitaH priye At dawn remember the Sadguru, The two-eyed, two-armed Lord of peace; In the lotus of the mind He dwells, Giving fearlessness to everyone. 58. DhyaanaM shruNu mahaadevi sarvaanandapradaayakam.h sarvasaukhyakaraM chaiva bhuktimuktipradaayakam.h Service to the Guru brings highest joy; Service to the Guru brings highest joy! This is the word of Lord Shiva, This is what Lord Shiva says! 59. DR^ishyavismR^itiparyantaM kuryaad.h gurupadaarchanam.h taadR^ishasyaiva kaivalyaM na cha tadvyatirekiNaH When one meditates on his Sadguru, Knowledge comes to him naturally; One becomes aware of his own freedom, Through the grace of the Sadguru. 60. tasyaavalokanaM praapya sarvasaMgavivarjitaH ekaakii niHspR^ihaH shaantaH sthaatavyaM tatprasaadataH Purify the thoughts within Thy mind; By following the path which the Guru shows; Free your mind of all desires; Get released from the senses’ grasp. 61. gurupraadataH svaatmanyaatmaaraamanirikShaNaat.h samataa muktimargeNa svaatmaj~naanaM pravartate The essence in all is the object to know; What perceives is subjective mind; Understand the essence of knower and known; Unlock liberation’s door.
62. saptakoTimahaamaMtraashchittavibhraMshakaarakaaH eka eva mahaamaMtro gururityakSharadvayam.h Amongst the Scripture’s weighty words, None is as mighty as the word ‘Guru’; It’s holy power is surpassed by none; It awakens to the highest state. 63. vijaananti mahaavaakyaM guroshcharaNasevayaa te vai saMnyaasinaH proktaa itare veShadhaariNaH One who serves his Guru faithfully, Though unaware of scripture’s laws, He is truly a Sannyasin; Orange robes are not the sign. 64. nityaM brahma niraakaaraM nirguNaM bodhayet.h param.h bhaasayan.h brahmabhaavaM cha diipo diipaantaraM yathaa As a bright lamp lights an unlit lamp, So the Guru imparts His truth; Through His grace we become aware, Of the nameless, formless One. 65. ajo.ahamamaro.ahaM cha hyanaadinidhanohyaham.h avikaarashchidaanando hyaNiyaan.h mahato mahaan.h Prostrations to Sat Chid Ananda, Without distinctions, the One supreme; He abides in His own True Self, Everlasting, perfect and whole. 66. aMguShThamaatraM puruShaM dhyaayechcha chinmayaM hR^idi tatra sfurati yo bhaavaH shruNu tatkathayaami te Beyond the beyond He’s the highest One; Eternal bestower of happiness; He lives in the center of your heart, Like a crystal pure and bright.
67. sfaTike sfaaTikaM ruupaM darpaNe darpaNo yathaa tathaatmani chidaakaaramaanandaM so.ahamityuta The pure mind reflects its own image, Like a mirror that is straight and clean; Consciousness and bliss are our own True Self, Shining deep within. 68. gurupadiShTamaargeNa manaH shiddhiM tu kaarayet.h anityaM khaNDayetsarvaM yatkiMchidaatmagocharam.h Unite with all the universe, By knowing that which is its source; Nothing else can compare to this; Everything else is unreal. 69. bhidyate hR^idayagranthishchhidyante sarvasaMshayaaH kShiiyante sarvakarmaaNi guroH karuNayaa shive After knowing one’s own True Self, Which is unveiled through the Guru’s grace, Attachments and desires fall away, In his own peace man is free. 70. saamyena ramate j~naanii divaa vaa yadi vaa nishi evaM vidhau mahaamaunii trailokyasamataaM vrajet.h Enjoy everything that comes to you, Whether it’s great, small or nothing at all; Accept it all with a tranquil mind, Free from anxiety. 71. gurunaamajapaadyevi bahujanmaarjitaanyapi paapaani vilayaM yaanti naasti sandehamaNvapi After knowing what can be known, A once-bound soul can become divine; It does not matter where he may be; His heart will rest in peace.
72. yasya darshanamaatreNa manasaH syaat.h prasannataa svayaM bhuuyaat.h dhR^itishshaantiH sa bhavet.h paramo guruH Now Parvathi, You’ve been shown the way; The Guru’s words Thou must obey; Devotion, dedication and meditation, Lead a man to salvation. 73. gurugiitaamimaaM devi hR^idi nityaM vibhaavaya mahaavyaadhigataiduHkhaiH sarvadaa prajapenmudaa I have revealed the Truth to Thee; It is contained in this song; Repeat it daily with reverence Overcome all worldliness. 74. anantaphalamaapnoti gurugiitaajapena tu sarvapaapaharaa devi sarvadaaridrayanaashinii Infinite treasures will be obtained, Through repeating this song of love; All obstacles will be overcome; Deprivations will end for Thee. 75. sarvopadravakuShThadiduShTadoShanivaariNii yatphalaM gurusaannidhyaattatphalaM paThanaad.h bhavet It helps eradicate all disease It opens the doors to success and wealth; All can be captivated by your charm, If you sing this sacred song. 76. kushadurvaasane devi hyaasane shubhrakambale upavishya tato devi japedekaagramaanasaH Sing this song with one-pointedness, While seated on a mat of grass; Or if this is not available, A folded blanket is fine.
77. mohanaM sarvabhuutaanaaM bandhamokShakaraM param.h devaraaj~naaM priyakaraM raajaanaM vashmaanayet.h This mantram destroys all our bondages, And helps one to realize his true freedom; Thus one becomes the king of kings, And verily the light of lights. 78. mukhastambhakaraM chaiva guNaaNaaM cha vivardhanam.h duShkarmanaashnaM chaiva tathaa satkarmasiddhidam.h All virtues manifest in Thee, Powers of speech will be granted too; Undesired karmas will be erased; Thy capacity to serve will grow. 79. mukhastambhakaraM chaiva guNaaNaaM cha vivardhanam.h duShkarmanaashnaM chaiva tathaa satkarmasiddhidam.h Health, Thy birthright, will be renewed, With prosperity, peace and happiness; Sing this song with desirelessness; Realize that You are free. 80. j~naanaM vinaa muktipadaM labhyate gurubhaktitaH guroH samaanato naanyat.h saadhanaM gurumaargiNaam.h All benefits come from this Guru hymn, No matter what faith, color, caste or creed; The Truth is the same however told: Serve the Guru in everyone.
81. atha kaamyajapasthaanaM kathayaami varaanane saagaraante sarittiire tiirthe hariharaalaye shaktidevaalaye goShThe sarvadevaalaye shubhe vaTasya dhaatryaa muule va maThe vR^indaavane tathaa pavitre nirmale deshe nityaanuShThaano.api vaa nirvedanena maunena japametat.h samaarabhet.h Sing this song in a peaceful place, Free from distracting disturbances, Where the sea laps against the shore, Near a river or temple pure. 82. sarvasandehasandohanirmuulanavichakShaNaH janmamR^ityubhayaghno yaH sa guruH paramo mataH Worldly desires will be washed away; From Maya’s traps Thou wilt be freed; To cut the bonds of birth and death, Bathe Thyself in this Guru song. 83. bhavamuulavinaashaaya chaaShTapaashanivR^itaye gurugiitaambhasi snaanaM tatvaj~na kurute sadaa sarvashuddhaH pavitro.asau svabhaavaadyatra tiShThati tatra devagaNaaH sarve kShetrapiiThe charanti cha The gods reside where the Guru lives; A heaven on earth is manifest; They are His constant company, Near His residence they abide. 84. aasanasthaa shayaanaa vaa gachchhantaShtiShThanto.api vaa ashvaruu.Dhaa gajaaruu.Dhaa suShuptaa jaagrato.api vaa shuchibhuutaa j~naanavanto gurugiitaaM japanti ye teShaaM darshanasaMsparshaat.h punarjanma na vidyate Whether standing, sitting or reclining, Awake, asleep or in a car; However one may move around, Sing this sacred Guru song.
85. bahujanmakR^itaat.h puNyaallabhyate.asau mahaaguruH labdhvaa.amuM na punaryaati shiShyaH saMsaarabandhanam.h Sing this love song reverently, With sincerity and regularity All that know thee wilt be blest; You never need be reborn. 86. samudre vai yathaa toyaM kShiire kShiiraM ghR^ite ghR^itam.h bhinne kuMbhe yathaa.a.akaashaM tathaa.a.atmaa paramaatmani The limited expands to unlimited, Like the river flows into the sea; Milk is the same in a jar or cup; Man and God are forever One. 87. saamyena ramate j~naanii divaa vaa yadi vaa nishi evaM vidhau mahaamaunii trailokyasamataaM vrajet. The wise man knows equanimity, Unaffected by night or day; It matters not what work he does, His mind is always calm. 88. akhaNDaikarasaM brahma nityamuktaM niraamayam.h svasmina saMdarshitaM yena sa bhavedasya deshikaH Within himself, he rests in bliss, The state of Supreme Consciousness; With dedication and devotion too, He ceaselessly serves the Lord. 89. satyaM satyaM punaH satyaM dharmasaaraM mayoditam.h gurugiitaa samaM stotraM naasti tatvaM guroH param.h There is no prayer that can compare, To this prayer I give to Thee; This is true; this verily is true! There’s no higher doctrine known.
90. gururdevo gururdharmo gurau niShThaa paraM tapaH guroH parataraM naasti trivaaraM kathayaami te The Guru is the absolute, Supreme God, The highest penance is faith in Him, In His teachings and service too; Guru is the highest Truth. 91. Dhanyaa maataa pitaa dhanyo gotraM dhanyaM kulodbhavaH dhanyaa cha vasudhaa devi yatra syaad.h gurubhaktataa Blessed are all the relatives, Blessed are the ancestors, Of one who serves the Sadguru; Such a soul is rare indeed. 92. ShariiramindriyaM praaNachchaarthaH svajanabandhutaaM maatR^ikulaM pitR^ikulaM gurureva na saMshayaH The Guru is beyond a doubt, Our body, senses and breath of life; Our father, mother and loved ones too; He is our eternal wealth. 93. Kulameva pavitraM syaat.h satyaM svagurusevayaa tR^iptaaH syusskalaa devaa brahmaadyaa gurutarpaNaat. When one satisfies the Sadguru, All God’s grace is easily won; Scores of lifetimes’ sacrifice, Yield their fruits when He is pleased.
94. AakalpajanmakoTiinaaM yaj~navratatapaH kriyaaH taaH sarvaaH saphalaa devi gurusaMtoShamaatrataH maMdabhaagyaa hyashaktaashcha ye janaa naanumanvate gurusevaasu vimukhaaH pachyante narake.ashuchau Through austerities and disciplines, One may gain some strength and power; But such a one is unfortunate, Who serves not the Sadguru. 95. GurubhaavaH paraM tiirthamanyatiirthaM nirarthakam.h sarvatiirthamayaM devi shriiguroshcharaNaambujam To the Sadguru’s Lotus feet, Make Thy purest pilgrimage; The sacred temples and holy lands, Are all contained in Him. 96. AkaalamR^ityuhaMtrii cha sarvasaMkaTanaashinii YakSharaakShasabhuutaadichoravyaaghravighaatinii Victory over death is won, By him who sings this sacred song; He will accomplish all his works, Salvation he will attain. 97. Atyantachittapakvasya shraddhaabhaktiyutasya cha pravaktavyamidaM devi mamaatmapriitaye sadaa Please share this song which I offer Thee, With those that seek the Eternal Truth, To those who are pure of heart and mind, Those who have sincerity.
98. Aj~naanatimiraandhasya viShayaakraantachetasaH j~naanaprabhaapradaanena prasaadaM kuru me prabho This song of Lord Shiva to Parvathi, Reminds us where our every thought should be; I offer this to Thee, 0 adorable Lord, Thy Grace is my heart’s reward; Thy Presence is my heart’s reward. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.