You are on page 1of 30


International Researchers' Handbook

2010 - 2011

This handbook is for all international researchers who are preparing to come to Kobe University. It contains information for what to do before coming, while in Japan, and before returning home.

Definition of International Researchers

A. Foreign Researcher Employed by Kobe University (Visiting Researchers) B. International Collaborative Researcher C. Foreign Trainee
Foreign researchers who work on collaborative research with Kobe University researchers. People who undergo the official Researcher Development Program at Kobe University. Participants in meetings, symposiums and lectures organized by Kobe University.

D. Foreign Participant in Symposiums in Japan

E. Invited Foreign Researcher to Kobe University

Foreign researchers who work on research activities at Kobe University for more than one month, and are accepted as Invited Foreign Researchers to Kobe University with the approval of faculty meetings and so on.

Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.

Before Coming to Japan

Before Coming to Japan 4
Visa and Status of Residence Traveler's Insurance From the Airport Rokkodai Campus Fukae Campus Myodani Campus Kusunoki Campus

International House (Fukae) St. Catherine's College, Kobe Institute Green Hills Rokko

Education 21
(Japanese School) Nursery School Kindergarten How to Attend Japanese School Senior High School Education (International School) English/European languages Asian Languages Transportation Driver's License Libraries Wireless LAN

Once in Japan
Legal Matter

Alien Registration Change of Status Extension of Stay Short Leave and Re-entry Permit Visa and the Status for Family Birth of a Child National Health Insurance Card Childbirth Allowance Subsidy for Households with Children Medical Center fro Student Health Nearby Hospital Parts of the Body (in Japanese)

On Campus 23

In Case of Emergency 24
Police Fire Ambulance Special Emergency Treatment System for Foreigners Traffic Accidents

Health 12

Daily Life 13
Utilities Electricity Gas Water Trash Collection Rules and Schedule Items the City does not collect Recycling Opening a Bank Account Opening a Postal Account ATM Cash Card Cell Phones Public Phones

In Case of Earthquakes and Other Natural Disasters 25

Earthquakes Typhoon


Evacuation Sites


Before Returning Home

Before Returning Home 28
Moving out of Apartment Paying Utility Bills Closure of Bank/Post Office Account Cancellation of Health Insurance Returning Alien Registration Card Japanese Holidays Phone Numbers A List of Useful websites

Housing Information

Kobe University Chobokan Gakujiso International Residence


Useful Information 29

Before Coming to Japan

Before Coming to Japan

Visa and Status of Residence
To come to Japan, one must apply for a Japanese visa at the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in his/ her home country. The type of visa required for each researcher depends on the activities he/ she will engage in, and the length of stay. Other than Temporary Visitor's Visa, the application for a visa requires a Certificate of Eligibility issued by the regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice. The hosting university will apply for this certificate on behalf of the researcher.

Please keep in mind that the issuing of the visa can take a while after the application is filed at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate. As part of the application process, Kobe University is also required to issue various documents including a letter of guarantee. Therefore, it would be a good idea to start this application procedure well in advance. Please verify which documents are required at the nearest Japanese Embassy/ Consulate.

Traveler's Insurance
Since medical service can be very expensive, it is strongly recommended to sign up for traveler's insurance before coming to Japan. Be sure to read the terms of the traveler's insurance carefully, for there are illnesses and injuries that may not be covered by the insurance policy.

Status of Residence for Kobe University Foreign Researchers

Foreign researchers visiting Kobe University may enter and stay in Japan under one of the following three status of residence:

This status is for a person who receives a stipend or salary from a Japanese university or educational/ research institution during his/her stay in Japan.

Cultural Activities
This status is for a person who receives a stipend or salary from a non-Japanese university or educational/research institution during his/her stay in Japan; self supported.

Temporary Visitor
This status is for a person who visits Japan for a short-term for such activities as attending a conference, lecture and symposium. A Certificate of Eligibility is not required for those entering Japan on a Temporary Visitor's Visa. Japan has bilateral Visa Exemption Arrangements with many countries, enabling temporary visitors from those countries to come without a visa. Under the Visa Exemption Arrangement, an eligible visitor can stay in Japan for up to 90 days. For details, please contact the nearest Japanese Embassy/Consulate.

From Kansai International Airport to Rokkodai Campus By Railway

Take JR (Japan Railways) Kansai Airport Line from "Kansai Airport" station and get off at "Osaka" station (time required: 1 hour). Change to JR Kobe Line and get off at "Rokkomichi" station (5th station by express train, time required: 25 min.) When taking a train from "Kansai Airport," go up to the second floor of the passenger terminal building and go through the passage to the concourse. Train Route Finder:

By Bus
Take the Limousine Bus bound for "Kobe Sannomiya" from Kansai International Airport (time required: 65 min. At "Sannomiya," go to Hankyu Railways and get onto the Kobe Line concourse bound for "Umeda." Take the local train to "Rokko" station (3rd stop, time required: 6 min.) To use the limousine bus: go out of the passenger terminal building and buy a ticket for "Kobe Sannomiya" at the ticket counter; board the bus at No. 6 bus stop. KATE Airport Limousine web site:

By MK "Skygateshuttle" Omnibus
Take MK "Skygateshuttle" to your destination in Chuo-ku, Higashinada-ku, Nada-ku, Hyogo-ku in Kobe city from Kansai International Airport. Reservation by phone or by web is required up to 2 days prior to the date of use. When using the MK "Skygateshuttle" omnibus, go to the MK counter on the first floor of the passenger terminal. MK "Skygateshuttle" web site:

Before Coming to Japan

From the Airport

Before Coming to Japan

Rokkodai Campus
1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501 Japan


are the number of Kobe Municipal Bus

Center for Collaborative Research and Technology Development (Venture Business Laboratory)

Center for Collaborative Research and Technology Development

Fukae Campus
5-1-1 Fukae-minamimachi, Higashinada-ku, Kobe 658-0022 Japan

Access to Fukae Campus

min. walk from Hanshin Fukae 10 min. walk from JR Konan-Yamate 20 minutes by taxi from JR Ashiya 15 minutes by taxi from Hankyu 10 Okamoto

Before Coming to Japan

Before Coming to Japan

Myodani Campus

7-10-2 Tomogaoka, Suma-ku, Kobe 654-0142 Japan

Access to Myodani Campus

Take the Kobe Municipal Subway to Myodani station. From Myodani, walk for 15 minutes, or take the Kobe Municipal Bus #78 6 minutesget o at , Tomogaoka-Chugakko-Mae , and walk for 4 minutes.

Kusunoki Campus
7-5-1 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017 Japan

Access to Kusunoki Campus

min. walk from Kobe Municipal Subway Okurayama 5 min. by Kobe Municipal Bus #9 from JR Kobe 7 and get o at Daigaku-Byoin-Mae min. by taxi from JR Kobe 5 10min. by taxi from JR Shin-Kobe

Once in Japan
Legal Matters
A foreigner who intends to stay in Japan for more than 90 days is required to register for Alien Registration (Gaikokujin Touroku) at the city, ward, or town office in the area where he/she resides within 90 days of enter Japan. A Certificate of Alien Registration Card (or commonly known as the Alien Registration Card) is an official identification. Anyone over 16 years old must carry this card with him/her at all times. Required documents on applying for an Alien Registration Card are: (1) Valid Passport (2) Two identical passport-size photos (4.5cm x 3.5cm taken within the last 6 months, full face, no hat, plain background). Anyone over 16 years old must go to the office in person to apply.

If a person who holds a status of College Student or Cultural Activity decides to stay in Japan as a researcher at Kobe University, he/she must have his/her status changed to Professor at the Immigration Bureau before the expiration of the period of stay. The required documents are as follows: (1) Downloadable application form: tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html (2) Passport (3) Alien Registration Card (4) Acceptance Letter or Employment Certificate from Kobe University that indicates the period of employment, income and status. (5) Fee 4,000 yen

Change of Status

The Card will be issued in a month. Be sure to save the receipt for Alien Registration Card called (Kofu Yotei Kikan Shiteisho) that has the pick-up date printed on it, and exchange it for the card at the office when the time comes. The applicant must go to the office in person, no proxies are allowed. If any change is made to the information on the card, including address, the status of residence, period of stay, or if the card is lost or damaged, the cardholder must notify the relevant office within 14 days. The card is valid for 5 years. Researchers who stay in Japan past 5 years must renew the card within 30 days of its expiration date. Since it will take a while before the card is issued, it is highly recommended to apply for a Certificate 9

The authorized period of stay in Japan for a Working Visa is one or three years, starting from the day after landing permission is granted. Researchers staying longer than these periods must obtain permission for an extension from Osaka Immigration Bureau, Kobe Branch (Kobe Chiho Go-do chosha, 29 Kaigan-dori, Chuoku, Kobe, TEL: 078-391-6378). Application is accepted 2 months to 10 days prior to the date of expiration. Applicants must also go to the city/ward office to report the change within 14 days of extension. The required documents are as follows: (1) Downloadable application form: tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/03.html (2) Passport (3) Alien Registration Card (4) Renewed Certificate of Acceptance or Employment Certificate from Kobe University (5) Renewal fee 4,000 yen

Extension of Stay

Legal Matters

Alien Registration

of Alien Registration (Toroku Genpyo Kisai Jiko Shomeisho), which is available at the City/Ward Office for a small fee and can usually be issued on the same day or a few days after application. This Certificate can act as an ID document until the Alien Registration Card is issued.

When a researcher leaves Japan temporarily (during vacation etc.), he/she must notify the fellow/partner professor, and report it to the administrative office in advance. Before leaving Japan, he/she must obtain Re-entry Permit from the Immigration Bureau. The Re-entry Permit expires on the same day as the visa. Therefore, anyone who wishes to re-enter after the expiration of the current period of stay must extend the period of stay first, and subsequently apply for the Re-entry Permit. The required documents for the Re-entry Permit are as follows: (1) Downloadable application form: tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/06.html (2) Passport (3) Alien Registration Card (4) Fee (3,000 yen for a single and 6,000 yen for a multiple re-entry permit)

Short Leave and Re-entry Permit

b. Certificate of bank balance in the researcher's name c. An envelope with 380 yen postage stamp attached (to be used to send the approved certificate of eligibility back) The researcher might be asked to bring additional documents. Please check with the local immigration bureau for details. After receiving the Certificate of Eligibility for each member of family, send them to the family. The family member should then bring the Certificate of Eligibility in to the nearest Japanese Embassy/ Consulate with other necessary documents to apply for the Dependent status visa. Requirements differ according to each country. Please inquire before going.

Legal Matters

If a researcher, who is in Japan alone, wishes to bring other members of the family to Japan, he/ she must go to the Immigration Bureau in Japan to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility on behalf of the family members. The required documents are as follows: (1) Application form for the Certificate of Eligibility for Dependent status for each member of the family (downloadable from the website). (2) 1 ID size photo (4 x 3 cm) for each member (3) A photocopy of each members passport (4) An original or official copies of documents issued within 3 months indicating the relationship between the researcher and each member (e.g. marriage license, birth certificate, family register) (5) Photocopies of the researchers alien registration card or passport (6) If the researcher receives an income from Kobe University, get the following documents: a. Certificate of Employment b. City and income tax receipt If the researcher is not employed, get the following documents: a. Certificate to prove scholarship payment 10

Visa and the Status for Family

If a child is born in Japan, please do the following: (1) Obtain a birth certificate (Shussei Shomeisho) from the hospital (2) File an application to register the birth at the city/ward or town municipal office, where you reside, within 14 days of the birth. A Birth Registration Certificate will be issued based on the application. The following items are required when applying for a Birth Registration Certificate. a. Birth certificate b. Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi-Techou) c. Applicant's (inkan) stamp (signature also acceptable) d. Health Insurance Card Once the Certificate (Shussei Shomei Juri Shomei -sho) is issued, apply for Alien Registration for the child within 14 days after the birth of the child. (1) Bring the (Shussei Syomei Juri Shomei-sho) to the Immigration Bureau, apply for the Certificate of Eligibility statusDependent (within 30 days after the birth of the child if staying in Japan longer than 60 days) (2) After receiving the Certificate of Eligibility, have the status documented in the Alien Registration Card at the City/Ward Office. Also, contact the Embassy/Consulate in Japan to

Birth of a Child

obtain a passport for the child, and add the child to the insurance policy as soon as possible

A person who has joined the National Health Insurance program will be given a National Health Insurance card (Kenko Hokensho); the researcher must show the card at the reception desk of hospitals or clinics at arrival. The cost of most medical services will be at 30% of the total cost under the National Health Insurance system, except for the following: (1) Medical services received outside Japan (2) Normal conception, birth (however, maternal allowance is provided) (3) Medical checkup (4) Vaccinations Payment of Health Insurance Premium The annual premium is paid in ten (monthly) installments from June to March. Calculation of the annual premium is based on the applicant's previous year's income in Japan. Once the insurance premium is set, it does not change no matter how many times a policy holder receives medical treatment during the year. Methods of Payment (1) Automatic withdrawal from a bank or a post office account (Application necessary) (2) Manually paying with the payment slip at the bank, the post office or the City/Ward Office.

National Health Insurance Card

address, the head of the household or the name. When the insurance card is lost or stolen When joining or withdrawing from another public insurance plan.
Legal Matters

One of the benefits of the National Medical Insurance is a childbirth allowance (approx. 300,000 yen including stillbirths and miscarriages that occur on or after the 85th day of pregnancy) and contribution for funeral and burial (50,000 70,000 yen). The Insurance also provides financial assistance towards health care costs for specified illnesses. Promptly notify the National Health Insurance Section of the City/Ward Office in any of the following cases: When moving out of (or into) a Ward or City, or leaving (entering) Japan. When a member of the household is deceased When a child is born When there is a change in the researcher's 11

Childbirth Allowance

1. Lump Sum Birth Allowance (Shussan Ichijikin) Japanese National/Employees Health Insurance subscribers are eligible to receive this allowance. (Application is necessary) 2. Free Check-Ups and Vaccination The City/Ward Office will send notifications of medical check-ups and vaccinations. Please go to the appointed hospitals or venue. 3. Child-Care Allowance (Jido Teate) Families registered as foreign residents and have children 12 years old and under are eligible to receive this allowance for each child from the City/Ward Office. (Application is necessary, and there are certain limitations to this allowance.) For further details, please contact the City/Ward Office. 4. Discounted Medical Treatment for Children Japanese National/Employees Health Insurance subscribers are eligible for discounts on medical expenses for hospitalization and check-ups for children. For further details, please contact the City/Ward Office.

Subsidy for Households with Children


The Medical Center for Student Health Services is open for a medical examination, first aid,

Medical Center for Student Health

consultation of any problems related to both physical and mental health for students and university staff members.

Nearby Hospitals
Specialty Internal Medicine Internal Medicine Clinic Kawara Iin Hours AM: 9:00 - 12:00 PM: 16:30 - 19:00 Phone 851-2206 Address 2-12-3 Sumiyoshi Honmachi, Higashi Nada-ku Rokko Eki-mae Bldg. 4F 3-3-1 Miyama-cho, Nada-ku 3 bangai 1bankan 3F 4-1-1-301-3 Bingo-cho, Nada-ku Holidays Tue, Thu Sat PM Thu all day, Sat PM Wed, Sat PM The Last Wed of echo month Tue, Thu PM Thu all day, Sat PM Thu all day, Sat PM All: Sat 851-8558 5-1 Tsuchiyama-cho, Nada-ku Plastic Surgery PM: Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri Sat PM

Kageshita AM: 9:30 - 12:00 Junkan-ki Naika PM: 16:30 -18:30


Plastic Surgery

Hagino Seikei Geka

AM: 9:30 - 12:30 PM: 15:30 - 18:30 AM: 9:30-12:30 PM: M, W, F 14:00-18:00 Sat: 14:00-16:00 AM 9:30-12:30 Thu 9:30-12:00 PM 16:00-19:00 AM: 9:30-12:00 PM: 14:30-18:30 AM: 8:30-11:30 PM: Internal Medicine 13:00-16:00 Plastic Surgery (Only Thu.) 13:00-16:30 AM: 9:00 - 12:00 PM: 16:00 - 19:00


Ophtha-mology (Eyes) Dermatology (skin) Dentistry

Yamanaka Gan-ka Nishino Hifuka Clinic Takahashi Shika


2-10-13 Takaha-cho, Nada-ku Rokko Ekimae Building 5F 3-3-1 Miyama-cho Nada-ku 3-3-29 Miyama-cho Nada-ku



All Areas

Rokko Byouin

Internal Medicine/ Surgery/ *Plastic Surgery/ *Brain Surgery


Nishi Byoin

Call before going. Time may vary by clinical specialty. 871-5201 8:30 - 11:30

3-2-18 Bingo-cho Nada-ku 3-11-15 Shinohara Kita Machi, Nada-ku

All Areas

Kaisei Byoin

*Each department has its own days off. Contact the hospital first to check before going. 382-5111 International Patient Center 382-6598 7-5-2 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku Sat

All Areas

Kobe University Hospital

8:30 - 11:00

*Also search the Hyogo International Association website for medical services in other foreign languages:


Parts of the Body (In Japanese)

Head (atama) Eye (meh) Ear (mimi) Nose (hana) Back (senaka) Mouth (kuchi) Elbow (hiji) Throat (nodo) Chest (mune) Stomach (onaka) Hand (teh)

1. To start use, ask the gas company (Hyogo Branch Office: Tel 0120-7-94817) to come and open the main valve. Someone must be at home at the appointed time. 2. Be sure that gas appliances are correctly installed and matches the type of gas* used. *There are two types of gas service in Japan: city gas and propane gas. 3. Gas bill is calculated each month. Osaka Gas (city gas company):


Knee (hiza) Foot (ashi)

1. Contact the local waterworks bureau (Kobe City Waterworks Bureau) before start use. Contact number and required documents may differ according to the area of residence. Check with the landlord or real estate agency. 2. Tap water can be used for drinking. 3. The utility fee is calculated every 2 months.


Daily Life
It is recommended to ask the landlord or real estate agency whether some of the utility fees are included in the rent. Utility fees can be paid at a bank, post office, or a convenience store. It can also be automatically withdrawn from bank or postal savings account.


1. Electrical frequency differs between eastern and western Japan. In Kobe, the frequency is 100V/60Hz. Be sure to buy and use electrical appliances matching this frequency. 2. To begin use, contact Kansai Denryoku (Kobe Branch Office: Tel 078-392-6200) 3. The electricity bill is calculated each month. Kansai Denryoku:


Kobe City requires all household refuse (garbage/paper), recyclables (cans/bottles/PET bottles/plastic containers) and non-combustible garbage be put out for collection at designated pick-up stations near the residence between 5 am - 8 am on the designated garbage collection day. Use Kobe City designated bags (according to classification written on the bag from 15L - 45L), available in super markets and convenience stores only. All other bags, including colorless, blue, black and plastic bags from convenience and super market will not be collected. Newspapers, magazines and cardboard boxes should be put out in the district's recycle group collection. Styrofoam food trays and milk carton should be washed and put in recycle bins at nearby groceries whenever possible. Please follow the instructions given in the next few pages so that you may correctly sort and dispose your trash.

Trash Collection


Daily Life

Rules and scheduled days for each category

Daily Life


Daily Life

Daily Life




Daily Life

A bank account is a convenient way to receive living allowance or salary. It is also convenient when paying utility bills, and conducting other transactions. Certificate of Alien Registration card, passport, or another form of identification, and an (inkan) stamp will be needed to open a bank account. Some banks will allow a signature to substitute for the (inkan), so check in advance. If you already have an (inkan) stamp (in kanji, hiragana or katakana), don't forget to bring it. Banks Shinsei Bank Kobe Financial Center Sumitomo Mitsui Bank Rokko Branch Documents Signature Refer to the website: http://www.shinseibank. Allowed com/english/powerflex/ oa.html Certificate of Alien Registration or Certificate Allowed of the Facts in Registration and the passport

Opening a Bank Account

Daily Life

Having a cell phone is quite handy in Japan. Cell phones can be purchased in cell phone shops around town. Required documents vary by shop so please check with each company. The followings are the list of major cell phone companies in Japan: NTT DOCOMO

Cell Phones

au SoftBank

With the popularity of the cell phones, it is becoming more difficult to find a public phone to use in Japan. Public telephones are either green or gray, however, there might still be some pink ones in coffee shops. The green and gray phones accept 10 yen, 100 yen and magnetic telephone cards, while the older pink phone only accepts 10 yen. Some telephone booths also allows one to make international calls. For details on how to make a public call, please visit the website below. Public Telephone Information NTT West digital.html

Public Phone

A savings account at Japan Post Bank (YuuchoBank) (the banking branch of the Japanese postal service) is also useful. The function and the required documents are similar to that of a bank. Post offices are located throughout the city. Japan Post Bank Home Page:

Opening a Postal Account

If you apply for a cash card at either the bank or the post office, you can withdrawl cash from your account through automated teller machines (ATM) placed in banks, post offices and some convenient stores. For more information, please ask at the counter when you open your account.

ATM Cash Card


Housing Information
Housing information for the "Kobe University Visiting Researcher" is available through the related accounting division. The following is for "International Researchers" who do not qualify as the "Kobe University Visiting Researcher".

<For staying more than one month and less than one year> Kobe University International Residence

The following two residence are for short stays only. Application is available from one month prior to arrival. Written reservation request must be made by someone at Kobe University on your behalf.

<For Short-term Stay>

Chobokan is located on campus. It is not available on Saturday, Sunday or holidays. The maximum period of stay here is four nights. Room Type Single room Twin room Room Charge 3,000 per night 4,500 per night

Kobe University Chobokan

Located on Port Island, this residence was built exclusively for international students and researchers in March 1981. In 1986, an annex was built to provide more living spaces and amenities. The five-story reinforced concrete building houses 22 single rooms, 2 married-couple rooms, and 4 family-type rooms. For details, ask the staff in the General Affairs Section of the appropriate graduate school or faculty. *Management fee is only required in the first month's rent. Please confirm the availability of rooms before applying for accommodation. Room Type Single room Type 1 Single room Type 1 Couple room Family room Space Square 18.00 Charge Rent 9,000 Management fee 9,400 Rent 9,600 Management fee 11,500 Rent 16,800 Management fee 16,800 Rent 23,100 Management fee 22,000

This residence is located near the JR Rokko-michi station. Breakfast is available for an extra 400 yen. Room Type Western Style Single room Japanese Style room Room Charge 3,800 per night 3,800 per night (single use) 5,350 per night (2 persons)





The following hotels are commonly used for shortterm visitors such as symposium participants. Kobe Portpia Hotel Tel: 078-302-1111 Hotel Okura Kobe Tel: 078-333-0111 Crowne Plaza Kobe Tel: 078-291-1121 Green Hill Hotel Kobe Tel: 078-222-0909 Shin-Kobe Sunhotel Tel: 078-272-1080 19

Hotels for Short Stay

Housing Information

Located within 8 minutes walk northeast from Hanshin Fukae Station. The House was built in 2000 as a residence hall exclusively for foreign researchers and students engaging in research and study at Kobe University. The main purpose was to promote international exchange between foreign and Japanese researchers and students. The House offers two single rooms for single use, two married-couple rooms, and one family room for researchers. Room Type Single room Space Square 24.72 Charge Rent 14,500 Management fee 31,500 Rent 23,100 Management fee 36,750 Rent 28,700 Management fee 42,300

Kobe University International House (Fukae area)

Kobe University has a rent subsidy system for eligible international researchers who agree to live in one of the private or public-run apartments designated by the University in the event there is no room available in either of the two dormitories (International Residence and International House). Under this system, the University will pay for approximately one half of the monthly rent. However, individual resident must pay utilities. For details, ask the staff at the General Affairs Section of the appropriate graduate school or faculty.

Rent Subsidy System

Housing Information

Designated Apartments
<For less than 6 months> St. Catherine's College, Kobe Institute

Couple room Family room



There are three types of rent available. All rooms are furnished with an air conditioner and furniture. The University will pay approximately one half of the following rent.The rent includes common fees, utilities costs, garbage disposal, room cleaning and sheet change (once a week). There is no deposit or key money necessary, however if you break something you will be asked to pay for its repair or replacement. People who reserve a room by the month will be asked to pay the amount in advance. If the last months' stay is less than one month, the rent will be prorated. Rent Single (16.5 ) Single (42 ) Married (70.3 ) 1 - 14 days 15 days - 1 month (calculated (calculated per day) per month) 5,000 8,000 12,000 75,000 120,000 180,000


<For more than 6 months>

Monthly rent and common fees (The University will pay for approximately one half of the following rent). Common fees include the use of standard rental furniture. Utilities must be paid by each individual resident.
* Aside from the rent and expenses above, a cleaning charge for restoring the room to its original state will be charged in advance.

Green Hills Rokko

(Japanese schools)
Nursery schools take care of children aged between 0 (6 months) and 6, until they are able to attend elementary school. The fee is determined according to guardians income. There are public and private nursery schools in Japan. Eligibility Guardians must have a special need, such as work or illness. Both the child and guardian must reside in Kobe City. How to enroll Apply at the City/Ward Welfare Office with documentation of the reason why day care is necessary (e.g. guardians employment certificate, school certificate), and a document stating annual income (e.g. withholding certificate, tax payment slip). For further information: Welfare Division, Kobe City Office 6-5-1 Kano-Cho Chuo-Ku, Kobe 650-8570 Tel: 078-322-6342 Fax: 078-322-6043 Kobe Private Nursery Federation 3-4-1 Tachibana-dori Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0016 Tel: 078-361-3889 Fax: 078-361-3918 Prior to entering elementary school, children aged between 4 and 6 can attend kindergarten (some private kindergartens also accept 3 year-olds). Children usually attend classes for four hours per day. Kindergartens will close for summer or other long holiday breaks. Inquiries: <Public Kindergartens> Public Kindergartens in Kobe: Education Planning Division, Kobe City Board of Education 6-5-1 Kano-cho Chuo-ku Kobe 650-8570 Tel: 078-322-5763 Fax: 078-322-6145 <Private Kindergartens> Kobe Private Nursery Federation 1-3-2 Higashi-Kawasaki-cho Chuo-ku, Kobe Tel: 078-360-1145 21


Nursery School

Room type 1DK (51.37 ) 3DK (86.70 )

Rent 55,000 117,400

Common fee 5,100 5,100


If none of the residence mentioned in this section is available, you may look for alternative accommodations such as weekly and monthly stay type apartments and hotels. Kobe University will pay for half of the rent, however, the contract must be drawn up between Kobe University and the housing agency. (The maximum cost of the full rent should be less than 130,000 per month.)

Other Housing


In Japan, it is mandatory for all children to attend elementary school for six years and junior high school for three years. All classes are taught in Japanese. No tuition fee is charged for schools run by the city, however schools do charge for the lunches and teaching aids provided by the schools. Foreign children, who have no legal obligation to attend Japanese schools, can enroll in public schools by going through the necessary application procedures. <Enrollment procedures> 1When registering as a foreign resident at the City/Ward Office, tell them that you have a school-age child who plans to study at a Japanese school, and get a Transfer Notice (Tennyugaku Tsuchisho) 2 Receive the name and address of the school the child may enroll in. 3 to the school and hand in the notice, and Go receive the form Enrollment Notification for Foreigners (Gaikokujin Shugakutodoke) from the school. Fill it out and return it. Inquiries: Education Planning Division, Kobe City Board of Education 6-5-1 Kano-cho Chuo-ku Kobe 650-8570 Tel: 078-322-5829 Fax: 078-322-6147

How to Attend Japanese Schools

(International Schools) English/European languages
CANADIAN ACADEMY Elementary to Senior High School 4-1 Koyo-cho Naka, Higashinada-ku, Kobe 6580032 Tel: 078-857-0100 Deutche Schule Kobe European School Pre-Kindergarten to Elementary School Rokko Island 3-2-8 Koyochonaka Higashinada-ku Kobe 658-0032 Tel: 078-857-9777 Marist Brothers International School Elementary to Senior High School 1-2-1 Chimori-cho, Suma-ku, Kobe, 654-0072 Tel: 078 732 6266 St Michael's International School Nursery-Elementary School 17-2 Nakayamate-dori 3-chome Chuo-ku, Kobeshi 650-0004 Tel: 078-231-8885


If the child cannot speak Japanese

Children who need help communicating in Japanese can receive Japanese language support at school. Inquiries School Guidance Division (International Education Section), Kobe City Board of Education 6-5-1 Kano-cho Chuo-ku Kobe 650-8570 Tel: 078-322-6546/6547 Fax: 078-322-6143 For high school enrollment, students must have received at least the equivalent of a Japanese junior high school education. Inquiries School Planning Division, Kobe City Board of Education 6-5-1 Kano-cho Chuo-ku Kobe 650-8570 Tel: 078-322-6652 22

Kobe Chinese School Elementary to Junior High School 9-1Nakayamate-dori 6-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0004 Tel: 078-341-7885 Kobe Korean Elementary & Junior High School Kindergarten to junior high school 6-1, Wakihama-cho 1-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe 651-0072 Tel: 078-251-1104 Nishi-Kobe Korean Primary and Junior High School Kindergarten to Junior High School 1-2-6 Hamazoe-dori Nagata-ku, Kobe 653-0024 Tel: 078-671-1963

Asian Languages

<Senior High School Education>

On Campus
Public transportation is the most convenient way to commute to and from the campus. A Commuter Pass is available for 1, 3, 6 months use, and available at train stations. Bus passes can be purchased at Co-ops on campus or directly from the bus driver.


Cars, motorcycles and scooters travel on the left side of the road in Japan. Drivers must fasten seatbelts in cars, and wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or a scooter. Only a limited numbers of parking spaces are available on campus, therefore commuting by car is not recommended. Motorcycles and scooters are also not recommended, however, should researchers choose to do so, please park it in the designated areas on campus. Researchers who wish to drive in Japan are required to hold either an International or a Japanese Driver's License. Motorcycle and scooter riders are also required to carry a driver's license. International License from a country recognized under the "Geneva Pact" is valid for use in Japan. This type of license is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Researchers staying longer than this period must apply for a Japanese Driver's License. To obtain a Japanese Driver's License, the applicant must take an aptitude test, or pass the Japanese driving test. For further driver's license information contact: Akashi Driver's License Examination Office 1649-2, Niyama-cho, Akashi 673-0842 Tel: 078-912-1628 (in Japanese only)

Driver's License

General Library Library for Social Sciences Library for Science and Technology Library for Humanities Library for Intercultural Studies Library for Human Development Sciences Library of Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration 8. Library for Medical Sciences 9. Library for Health Sciences 10. Library for Maritime Science Each library provides a wide range of books and journals to the students and staff to promote their education and assist their research. The libraries also collect audio-visual and CD-ROM materials to complement these written materials. Computerization of the library system in cooperation with the Information Science and Technology Center and the establishment of networks with nonuniversity institutions, such as the National Institute of Informatics, is extending the library network, helping to provide a better service for all users. In 1999, "Kobe Digital Library" system launched its service. It provides digitized collections for users inside and outside the campus via the Worldwide Web ( The Library for Social Sciences stores 40,000 materials related to the Great Hanshin Earthquake. "The Earthquake Library" discloses them, and aims to contribute to boosting the emergency restoration, earthquake researches, and disasterprevention measures.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.

If you wish to use the Internet on campus, configure your laptops network setting through one of the wireless LAN access points on campus. Certification is available with your network ID and password.

Wireless LAN Service


On Campus

Kobe University Library has collected about 3,400,000 bibliographical materials. The Library is comprised of General Library and 9 branches divided in accordance with subjects. (General Library and Library for Intercultural Studies share the same space) 1 at Kusunoki, 1 at Myodani, 1 at Fukae and others at Rokkodai.


In Case of Emergency
In Case of Emergency

The following emergency phone numbers can be dialed free of charge from any phone booth, private or cell phone.

Special Emergency Treatment System for Foreigners

In the Hanshin, Kobe, East Harima and West Harima regions, there is also a special emergency treatment system for foreign residents. About 45 hospitals are registered and diagnostic forms are available in five languages. The hospitals are prepared to deal with emergency cases involving foreign residents even at night. For further information, please contact the following organization. Hyogo International Association Information and Advisory Service Phone: 078-382-2052 Open: Mon.-Fri. 9:00-17:00

Police Fire Ambulance

110 119 119

1. Traffic Accidents Dial 110 to report traffic accidents to the police. For details, see the section on "Traffic Accidents" . 2. Theft and Other Crimes Dial 110 to report theft and other crimes.

Police Station (Dial 110)

1. In case of FIRE A) Shout "KAJI!" (Fire!) to alert the neighbors. B) Dial 119. The fire service will ask whether the caller is reporting a fire or if it is an ambulance that is needed. Answer "Kaji desu" (There is a fire). Give the caller's name, address, telephone number and any building in the neighborhood that will pinpoint the site. Cover mouth with a damp towel to protect against poisonous gas, and keep a low position when leaving the room. C) If the fire is not particularly threatening, and if there is a fire extinguisher nearby, use it to put out the fire. 2. Sudden illness or injury A) To call for an ambulance, dial 119 and say "Kyukyu desu" (I need an Ambulance). Give the caller's name and address, and describe the injury or illness. The emergency service will find the nearest hospital that can treat the illness or injury. B) On holidays and in the evenings, hospitals provide emergency treatment on a rotation basis. It might be a good idea to inquire at the nearest city or town hall for a list of clinic or hospital that can provide emergency treatment.

Fire Department (Dial 119)

When involved in a traffic accident, the involved is required by law to report to the police. If an accident is not reported, the Certificate of Traffic Accident necessary for making insurance claims cannot be obtained. Verify the name and address of the other party and contact the insurance company. In case of injury, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT, it is best to get a medical examination. If the involved does not know how to make an insurance claim, or how to settle matters out of court, contact the prefectural traffic accidents office or a lawyer. Consultation is free of charge and there are consultants in several areas of the prefecture. Consultation is in Japanese only, so if the involved does not understand Japanese, ask someone who can interpret to come along. Hyogo Prefecture Traffic Accidents Office Hyogo Prefectural Government Office Annex 1F, Shimoyamate-dori 5-10-1, Chuo-ku, Kobe Tel: 078-362-3167 Open: Mon.-Fri. 9:15-16:00

Traffic Accidents


In Case of Earthquakes and Other Natural Disasters

Earthquakes occur frequently in Japan. The Great Hanshin Earthquake (Jan. 17, 1995) caused considerable damage in a short period of time. Earthquakes can happen at any time without any warning. Keep that in mind in order to keep damage to a minimum. A list of evacuation sites are listed on the following pages. Please familiarize yourself with the location of the nearest evaculation site from your residence.

Typhoons often hit Japan during the summer and autumn seasons. Usually damage (landslides and floods) is caused by strong winds and heavy rain. If the weather forecast mentions a typhoon heading toward Kobe, take the following precautions: 1. Prepare against strong wind and heavy rain by closing all shutters and reinforcing windowpanes with adhesive or vinyl tape. 2. Any items in the garden or on the balcony that might be blown away should be fixed in place or brought indoors. 3. TV antenna should be reinforced with splints and wire. 4. Houses situated in lowland may be at risk from flooding, so move furniture and electrical goods above ground level or upstairs. 5. In case of power failure during a typhoon, keep a flashlight and a portable radio in a place accessible by all family members. 6. Keep emergency items available, should an evacuation become necessary. 7. Confirm the location and access routes to the nearest shelter. Information about shelters and "Maps of Dangerous Areas" (Kiken Kashozu) are available at each ward office, fire station and civil engineering office.

Storm and Flood Damage


1. Do not place objects in entrance, passageway and corridor that may obstruct evacuation. 2. Check the location of the nearest emergency shelter and hospital (and access routes). Information about shelters is available at the nearest city, ward or town office.

General Precautions

1. Ensure physical safety first by taking shelter under a table. 2. Turn off all gas appliances. Close gas main. Turn off all other cooking and heating appliances that may be a fire hazard. If a fire breaks out, put it out immediately with a fire extinguisher. 3. When shaking stops, turn on the radio or TV to get accurate information, then evacuate to open ground outside. 4. Contact respective faculties/professors or relevant administration office as soon as possible so that family members can be notified when they call the University. 5. If the earthquake occurs while driving, do not brake suddenly. Reduce speed slowly and pull off the car onto the left side of the road. Do not stop near gas stations, high-pressure gas facilities, or underneath a pedestrian bridge.

If an Earthquake Occurs

1. If told to evacuate, do so immediately. Families with older or sick people and babies should evacuate as soon as possible. 2. Be sure to wear a helmet or a thick hat when leaving home. 3. Check that gas appliances are turned off and that gas mains are closed. 4. Turn off the electricity supply and close all doors. 5. Do not approach fallen power poles or dangling electric wires. 6. Keep baggage to a minimum, use a backpack instead of a tote bag to keep your hands free. 7. Trust only information from television, radio or official reports from public offices.


In Case of Earthquakes and Other Natural Disasters

Evacuation Sites

Evacuation Site
Honjo Elementary School Playground Honjo Junior High School Playground Honjo Central Park Tennis Courts of Kobe University


4-4-1 Ougi Higashinada-ku 4-4-2 Ougi Higashinada-ku Honjo 5-18 Ougi Higashinada-ku 4-1 Ougi Higashinada-ku 4-4-28 Motoyamaminami-machi Fukuike Elementary School Playground Higashinada-ku Kotsu Koen Koyori Park 4-4 Motoyamaminami-machi (the previous "Motoyama Kotsu Park") Higashinada-ku Motoyama Junior High School Playground 3-3-1 Okamoto Higashinada-ku Motoyama Daini Elementary School Playground 1-3-1 Nishi-Okamoto Higashinada-ku Motoyama Motoyama Minami Junior High School Playground 4-12-1 Tanaka-cho Higashinada-ku Temizu Park 3-16 Tanaka-cho Higashinada-ku Seto Park 1-2 Uozakiminami-cho Higashinada-ku Uozaki Uozaki Junior High School Playground 1-2-1 Uozakiminami-cho Higashinada-ku 4-1-31Sumiyoshihigashi-machi Sumiyoshi Elementary School Playground Higashinada-ku Sumiyoshi Sumiyoshi Miyamachi Park 3-2 Sumiyoshimiya-machi Higashinada-ku Sumiyoshi Park 3-3 Sumiyoshimiya-machi Higashinada-ku Mikage Elementary School Playground 3-1-1 Mikageishi-machi Higashinada-ku Mikage Junior High School Playground 5-1-1 Mikagenaka-machi Higashinada-ku Mikage Mikage Kindergarten Playground 3-13-1 Mikageishi-machi Higashinada-ku Mikage Park 5-1 Mikagenaka-machi Higashinada-ku Seitoku Elementary School Playground 1-3-1 Bingo-cho Nada-ku Yamato Park 5-1 Nakago-cho Nada-ku Yamato Seitoku Park 1-3 Bingo-cho Nada-ku Kobe University Attached Sumiyoshi 5-11-1 Sumiyoshi Yamate Higashinada-ku Elementary School Playground Uzugamori Kobe University Attached Sumiyoshi 5-11-1 Sumiyoshi Yamate Higashinada-ku Junior High School Playground Uzugamori Elementary School Playground 1-12-1 Uzumoridai Higashinada-ku 1-1 Rokkodai Nada-ku Rokkodai Kobe University Ouji Park 2-1 Ouji-cho Nada-ku Kamitsutsui Elementary School Playground 1-1-2 Nozaki-dori Chuo-ku Oji Tsutsuidai Junior High School Playground 1-1-3 Nozaki-dori Chuo-ku Fukiai High School Playground 1-1-1 Nozaki-dori Chuo-ku Nagisa Park 1-2 Wakihama Kaigan-dori Chuo-ku Maya Kaigan-dori Park 1-2 Maya Kaigan-dori Nada-ku Wakihana Kaigan-dori Park 4-2 Wakihama Kaigan-dori Chuo-ku 2-1 Maya Kaigan-dori Nada-ku HAT Kobe Saigo-gawa Kako Park Ikuta-gawa Park (HAT Yume Park) 3 Wakihama Kaigan-dori Chuo-ku Nagisa Elementary School Playground 2-4-1 Wakihama Kaigan-dori Chuo-ku Nagisa Junior High School Playground 2-1-1 Wakihama Kaigan-dori Chuo-ku Higashi Yuenchi Park 6-4 Kano-cho Chuo-ku 2-1 Yahata-cho Chuo-ku Sannomiya Isogami Park Minatonomori Park 3 Onohama-cho Chuo-ku 2 Hatoba-cho Chuo-ku Meriken Park Meriken Park


Evacuation Sites (cont.)

Okura-yama Park Kusunoki Junior High School Playground Minatogawa Tamon Elementary School Playground Minatogawa/ Minatogawa Park Arata Arata Park Yumenono-oka Elementary School Playground Yumenodai Park Yumeno/ Egeyama Park Egeyama Egeyama Haisuijou (Water Distribution Facility) Kikusui Park Canal Town Square (Hyogo Station Front) Hyogo Ekiminami Park Hyogo Shouken-cho Park Canal Town Square (West) Misaki Misaki Park Shin Minatogawa Park Kagura Nagata Minami Elementary School Playground Kagura Park Hasuike Elementary School Playground Hasuike/ Nishishiro Nishidai Hasuike Park Wakamatsu Park Shin Nagata Komagabayashi Junior High School Playground Shin Nagata Station Square Myohoji River Park Myohoji River West Bank Park Takatori/ Daichi Elementary School Playground Myohoji River Takatori Ekikita Park Shimo Nakajima Park Kaihin Kouen Suma Kaihin Park Rikyu Kouen Rikyu Park Sumaura Kouen Sumaura Park Shioya Junior High School Playground Shioya/ Aoyamadai Aoyamadai Higashi Park Tarumi Kaihin Shibahu Park Center Hiraiso Ryokuchi Marine Pia Kobe Marine Pia Kobe Azur Maiko Azur Maiko Maiko Boen Maiko Cemetery Park Maiko Junior High School Playground Maiko Nishi Maiko Elementary School Playground Yamotodai Park Suzuran Park Suzurandai Minamigoyou Elementary School Playground Hiyodorigoe Hiyodorigoe Cemetery Park Boen Okura Yama (Mt. Okura) 7-4 Kusunoki-cho Chuo-ku 4-2-5 Kusunoki-cho Chuo-ku 4-2-4 Kusunoki-cho Chuo-ku 1-20 Arata-cho Hyogo-ku 2-19 Arata-cho Hyogo-ku 10-1 Kikusui-cho Hyogo-ku Takiyama-cho Hyogo-ku 3 Egeyama-cho Hyogo-ku 10 Minatogawa-cho Hyogo-ku 3 Kikusui-cho Hyogo-ku 5-1 Ekiminami-dori Hyogo-ku 5-2 Ekiminami-dori Hyogo-ku 4-1 Ekiminami-dori Hyogo-ku 5-2 Ekiminami-dori Hyogo-ku 1-2 Misaki-cho Hyogo-ku 1 Hosoda-cho Hyogo-ku 1-4 Kagura-cho Nagata-ku 1-2 Hosoda-cho Nagata-ku 1-1-10 Oya-cho Nagata-ku Hasuike-cho Nagata-ku 6-3 Wakamatsu-cho Nagata-ku 7-1-23 Wakamatsu-cho Nagata-ku 4-2 Wakamatsu-cho Nagata-ku 1 Tomasa-cho Suma-ku 5 Ooike-cho Suma-ku 5-15-52 Ooike-cho Suma-ku 5 Ooike-cho Suma-ku 1 Nakajima-cho Suma-ku 1 Wakamiya-cho Suma-ku 1 Mizuno-cho Suma-ku 5 Ichinotani-cho Suma-ku Ootani Shioya-cho Tarumi-ku 4-1 Aoyama-dai Tarumi-ku 1 Hiraiso Tarumi-ku 1 Hiraiso Tarumi-ku 12-2 Kaigan-dori Tarumi-ku 11 Kaigan-dori Tarumi-ku Maikoryo Tarumi-ku 3-1-1 Kariguchi-dai Tarumi-ku 3-1-2 Kariguchi-dai Tarumi-ku 2-7 Kariguchi-dai Tarumi-ku 5-1 Minamigoyou Kita-ku 3-1-1 Minamigoyou Kita-ku 12-1 Nakaichiriyama Shimotanigamiaza Yamada-cho Kita-ku



Before Returning Home

Moving out of Apartment
If one wishes to move out of a private apartment rented on his/her own, notice must be given to the landlord or the real estate agency at least one month prior to the date of moving. If the resident does not give notice until the last minute, the next month's rent will be charged. The resident must return the room in the same condition as that when he/she moved in. Cleaning and repairing fees will be deducted from the deposit the resident paid when he/she moved in (Shikikin). If the resident leaves the room in an unusually damaged condition, he/she may be required to pay additional expenses.

Closure of Bank/Post Office Accounts

Private Apartment

When closing a bank or postal savings account, bring the following: 1) Alien Registration Card or Passport 2) Personal Seal (inkan) 3) Passbook 4) ATM card. If one has registered for automatic utility payment service, check to see if all the utility bills have been paid before closing the account.

Before Returning Home

The National Health Insurance card must be returned to the responsible City/Ward Office several days prior to leaving Japan. Alien Registration Card is needed for the cancellation procedure. Japan Federation of National Health Insurance Organizations:

Cancellation of Health Insurance

Those who live in one of university residence facilities should ask the office or person in charge for details about the procedures regarding moving out in advance.

University Residence Facilities

1. Large Furniture & Bicycles Application for collection must be made by telephone. Kobe City Large Furniture Items & Bicycle Reception Desk: Tel: (078) 392-7953 2. Air Conditioners, Televisions, Refrigerators, Washing Machines Ask the store of purchase to take these items. Recycle fee will be charged. Kobe City Environmental Bureau (Refer to P.16-17 of this handbook)

Disposal of Garbage that are Not Collected Regularly

When leaving Japan, unless the researcher/student has a re-entry permit, the Alien Registration Card must be returned to the immigration officer at the airport or port of departure.

Returning Alien Registration Card

Do not forget to settle the electricity, gas, water, telephone and other utility bills before leaving the country. Contact each company several days prior to moving out.

Paying Utility Bills


Useful Information
Japanese Holidays
January 1 - 3 2nd Monday of January February 11 March 21 April 29 May 3 May 4 May 5 3rd Monday of July August 15 3rd Monday of September September 23 2nd Monday of October November 3 November 23 December 23 December 29-31 New Years Holidays Coming-of-Age Day National Foundation Day Vernal Equinox Day Showa Day Constitution Day Greenery Day Childrens Day Marine Day
Most universities and companies are closed for two to three days

A List of Foreign Embassies protocol/index.html

Immigration Bureau of Japan Hyogo Prefecture Kobe City index.html

Useful Information

Hyogo International Association

O-bon holidays

Hyogo International Association Information and Advisory Service Kobe City Information index.html

Respect-for-the-Aged Day Autumnal Equinox Day Sports Day Culture Day Labor Thanksgiving Day The Emperors Birthday Year-end Holidays

Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication

KOKORO-NET in KOBE index_eg.html

Multi-Lingual Living Guide

Phone Numbers
Police Fire and Ambulance Telephone failure Directory assistance (Domestic) Electricity failure, outage Gas leaking Water leaking, outage Osaka Immigration Bureau Kobe Branch Osaka Immigration Bureau Information Japan Helpline (18 languages/24 hours) 110 (Toll Free) 119 (Toll Free) 113 (Toll Free) 104 (Toll Charged) 078-392-6200 0120-7-19424 0120-976194 078-391-6378 06-4703-2150 0120-461-997 (Toll Free)

ARCH A center for mutual support


All Rights Reserved

Published by Kobe University Secretariat

1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN