You are on page 1of 16

St.

Philip the Evangelist Episcopal Church is one of the oldest Black congregations organized in the Diocese of Washington, D.C. In October 1887, a small group of Black Episcopalians banded together to form a Christian community. Members of this group began to worship on Sundays at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith on Howard Road in Southeast, D.C. Sunday school was held in the morning for the children and the noon service was for the elders. The Rev. Davenport, Rector of Emmanuel Church, officiated at these services. As the membership grew, a larger facility was needed. In 1888, the members rented a room at Douglass Hall, located on the corner of Nicolas Avenue and Howard Road in Southeast, D.C. It was here that the group was established as a mission of Emmanuel Church and was named Emmanuel Mission. Later, in 1889, the Pioneer Institute building was purchased by the members of the congregation. Each member paid $14.25 a month toward this purchase. Through their faith, dedication and hard work, this frame structure underwent numerous changes. These changes included raising the roof, the construction of a sanctuary and altar, the installation of stained glass windows, and the conversion of the basement into a parish hall. Soon, the barn-like structure began to resemble a place of worship. In the late 1890s, this mission became a chapel under the Diocese of Washington. The name Emmanuel Mission was changed to The Chapel of St. Philip the Evangelist. Services were held continuously at the chapel until 1937. In 1937, an anonymous benefactor presented the Diocese of Washington with a monetary gift and land to erect a new chapel and parish hall, under the leadership of The Rev. Millard F. Newman. The location of the new chapel was 2431 Shannon Place in Southeast, D.C. The furnishings of this chapel and parish hall were given generously by its members. The donor of this great gift remained anonymous to the congregation until Sunday, December 20, 1942 when the Diocese presented a memorial plaque at a dedication and memorial service in the memory of Mrs. Minnie B. Smoot. Mrs. Smoot was a pioneer business woman and a devoted worker in the chapel for many years. In 1948, the property next door to the chapel was purchased for a vicarage. For 40 years, its members worshipped at the chapel. Outreach ministries were begun and the quest for parish status was pursued. In the 1970s, the congregation outgrew the small chapel and a larger structure was sought to accommodate them and to further the development of their outreach ministries.

Mrs. Minnie B. Smoot

In June 1977, the Diocese of Washington purchased the old Anacostia Methodist Church building on 2001 14th Street in Southeast, D.C. The congregation of St. Philip the Evangelist, under the leadership of The Rev. Jesse Anderson, Jr., marched jubilantly from Shannon Place to the new and present location. The congregation was eager to utilize the larger space and to continue its mission of serving the Anacostia community. It soon became apparent that the building, which was constructed in 1899, was in dire need of repair. Minor repairs were made over the years; however, in 2000 the church underwent an extensive renovation. The congregation had persevered by their faith, prayer, hard work and dedication. A new and vibrant church now stands. The rebirth of the church spiritually energized the congregation. On January 26, 2002 the Chapel of St. Philip became a parish, under the leadership of The Rev. Dr. William B. Lewis, who was called as the first Rector of the church having previously served as Vicar since 1996. St. Philips offers a variety of ministries and services to its congregation and surrounding community in its efforts to love and serve all people in the precious name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The churchs objective is to be an instrument through which God offers love, help, forgiveness and healing to those in need. Key ministries and services that St. Philips provides to the community include the following: Food Pantry Ministry This ministry offers emergency food supplies donated by parishioners and friends of St. Philips to the neediest families in the community. Child Development Center St. Philips hosts and supports a fully operational child development center serving approximately 70 pre-school children from low-income families. Park Revitalization Project St. Philips led community efforts to rehabilitate and reopen Old Market House Square Park located across the street from the church. The project was a joint effort with TKF Foundation, Councilman Marion Barry, the D.C. Department of Transportation, Lee and Associates, Ward 8 residents and St. Philips members. Joshua Project Ministry Over the years, this group has offered outreach ministries to children and teens to encourage and inspire their spiritual, academic and civic development. The group also hosts the Anacostia Fellowship Caf events designed to provide teens and young adults an opportunity to showcase their gifts and talents in a spiritually nurturing environment. Bible Study and Prayer Opportunities for Bible study and prayer are offered to parishioners and members of the community on Wednesday nights, Fridays at noontime, and on Sunday mornings. Healing services are offered for parishioners and community every fourth Sunday. Resources for Inner City Children (RICH) St. Philips is in the planning stages of hosting an evening tutoring program designed to assist middle school and high school students in all curriculum areas to ensure academic success, Monday through Thursday during the academic year. The program will also offer parents in the community tutoring assistance to get their GEDs and advance their education . Concerned Black Men St. Philips is in discussion with this group to partner with the Joshua Project and the Combined Military Retirees Association to launch a Saturday academic and mentoring academy to inspire young men to avoid drugs and crime in their lives, and to become successful citizens through civic and spiritual nurturing.

Rev. Dr. William B. Lewis, Advisor Alveria Howard-Ford, Chairman/Secretary Andrea Cryer-Taylor, Treasurer Diann Barbee, Co-Chairman Minto Clarke, Co-Chairman

Susan Adams James Ballard Theresa Harris Tayloria Jackson Pamela Taylor

Marguerite Allen Joyce Crocheron Barbara Harrison Joyce Kelly Elaine Thompson

We greatly thank you for celebrating with us our 125th Anniversary Banquet Dinner Dance on this day Friday, October, 19, 2012 at the National District Washington Catering and Conference Center AKA: Navy Yard. Parishioners, families and friends we could not have had a successful event without you. Therefore, Looking Back with Thanksgiving, Looking Forward with Hope we appreciate you for all that you do through thought, word, and deed. Sincerely, Reverend Dr. William B. Lewis & 125th Anniversary Committee

St. Philip the Evangelist Episcopal Church was conceived by faith, nurtured by love and strengthened by hope. The church has come so far by faith; beginning as a small mission, growing into a chapel and finally becoming a parish. But its journey does not end here. It is only the beginning. As St. Philips celebrate its 125 th anniversary, may its faith continue to grow and serve the community of Anacostia for years to come.

Greetings..............................................................................................Mrs. Andrea Cryer-Taylor, Treasurer Opening Prayer..............................................................................................The Rev. Dr. William B. Lewis Introduction of MC........................................................................................Mrs. Alveria Ford, Chairperson Master of Ceremony......................................Mr. Byron Browder, National Chair of Concerned Black Men The Occasion.................................................................................Mrs. Pamela Taylor, Committee Member

Garden Salad

Red Snapper with Fresh Dill Sauce

Cornish Game Hen Roasted with Fresh Herbs and Rice Stuffing
Introductions.....................................................................................Mr. James Ballard, Committee Member First Family 125th Anniversary Committee Members Vestry Members Members Descendants of Minnie B. Smoot

Roasted Potatoes

Garden Fresh Vegetables

Grace Before Meal..........................................................................................Mr. Donald Cryer, Sr. Warden

Rolls & Butter


Dinner Served...................................................................Jazz/Listening Music by Joe Webb Entertainment Reflections: Slide Presentation.................................................................................Derek Watts of TruConcepts Donor Recognition.....................Mrs. Minto Clarke, Co-Chair & Mrs. Theresa Harris, Committee Member Bishop Jane Holmes Dixon Christ Church Georgetown St. Albans Church St. Columbas Church St. Dunstans Church St. Patricks Church Combined Military Retirees Association Men of Our Time, Inc.

Hot Coffee & Tea

Iced Tea

Cash Bar

Mix, Mingle and Dance............................................................................................Joe Webb Entertainment

Platinum $100-$500 Mr. Kirk & Mrs. Susan Adams Rev. Jessie Anderson Ms. Karen B. Brown Mr. Harold & Mrs. Minto Clarke Mrs. Joyce Crocheron Mr. Ronald Crocheron Ms. Lema Crooks Mr. Otis & Mrs. Gloria Ducker Mr. Theodore & Mrs. Alveria Ford Ms. Jackie Garrett Ms. Marcella La Gonterie Ms. Maryann G. Gosnell Mr. David & Mrs. Theresa Harris Mr. David Harris, Jr. Mr. Erik C. Harris Mr. Donald & Mrs. Barbara Harrison Mrs. Jill Battle-Howell Ms. Linda M. Jackson Mr. Stanley & Mrs. Tayloria Jackson Mr. Michael Kidd Dr. Gladius Lewis Rev. William & Tabitha Lewis Ms. Felecia Mora Ms. Ivy Meadows

Mr. John B. Taylor Mrs. Elaine Thompson Mrs. Thomasina Washington Mr. Harold & Mrs. Ruby Watts Mr. Stefan Williams St. Timothys Episcopal Church Silver $50.00 Mr. and Mrs. Elix Gerber Mr. & Mrs. Donald Harrison, Sr. Mr. William & Mrs. Marilyn Underdue Fringes Hair Salon Bronze $25.00 Mrs. Barbara Bess Rev. Virginia Brown-Nolan Ms. Majorie Davenport Mr. Ronald & Mrs. Lois Lucas Mr. Michael & Barbara Smith Mr. Nathaniel & Mrs. Barbara Tolson Ms. Michole Washington BK Charter, Inc.

VISION STATEMENT St. Philip the Evangelist Parish will be an inclusive church where people of diverse backgrounds will advance the kingdom of God, nurture their spiritual life, extend assistance and care to the people of the Anacostia community and beyond. MISSION STATEMENT We, the congregation of St. Philip the Evangelist Parish, confess a firm belief in the Lord Jesus Christ. We will strive to grow in knowledge and love of God through the leading of the Holy Spirit, so that we can be reconciled to Christ and to each other. In understanding the call of Jesus Christ to go and make disciples of all nations, we affirm that our mission is: 1. To seek and serve Jesus Christ in word and deed; 2. To go into the community and the world with the good news of Jesus Christ; 3. To be an instrument through which God heals; and 4. To use our resources to respond to the spiritual, social, and physical needs of our community.