You are on page 1of 2

How to limit exposure to toxic products

I switched to non-toxic cleaners five years ago after attending a presentation on the value of using safe, effective and green cleaning products. I had been holding my breath for years when I cleaned our shower stalls and baths to avoid burning my lungs and getting that horrible Clorox smell in my nose. I decided I needed to make some changes in the products I used to clean my home after learning the facts listed below. These facts were published in the American Journal of Biomedical Research (Rumchev K, Spickett J, Bulsara M, Phillips M, Stick S. Association of domestic exposure to volatile organic compounds with asthma in young children. Thorax. 2004 Sep; 59(9):746-51). 1. The most common poison exposures for children are ingestion of household products such as cleaning products. Chlorine is the number one cause of child poisonings in the United States. 2. 150 chemicals found in the home are associated with allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders. 3. The dramatic increases in rates of asthma in women in the past 10 years are believed to be due to womens longer exposure time to household chemicals. 4. 90% of our time is spent indoors. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that air pollution is up to five times higher inside than outside. Long-term exposure to chemicals inside our homes may be harmful to us and our families. 5. Some 20 million Americans have asthma. An average of one out of every 13 school-aged children has asthma. 6. Asthma rates in children under age five have increased more than 160% from 1980-1994. 7. Common household cleaners and appliances give off fumes, which can potentially increase the risk of children developing asthma. 8. The average American household generates more than 20 pounds of hazardous waste each year. 9. Chlorine bleach, sodium and butyl cellosolve are found in degreasers, glass cleaners, oven cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, cleaning wipes and rug shampoo. These chemicals are designated as household hazardous waste by the EPA. Contact can cause severe damage to the eyes, skin, mouth, and throat and can cause liver and kidney damage. A person who spends 15 minutes cleaning scale off shower walls could inhale three times the acute exposure limit.(National Institutes of Health Household Products Database retrieved from www.hhs.gov) I believe it is so important that people be aware of these alarming facts. If you want to provide your family with a safe and clean home than it is probably time to check out the cleaners you are currently using. If you find they do contain harmful chemicals known to cause a variety of health issues, take action and dispose of these products! Replace those products with non-toxic and natural choices. Earth-friendly choices should be biodegradable, recyclable, ultra concentrated, contain sustainable ingredients from natural sources and contain no phosphates. Gail Williams www.facebook.com/#!/nutritionalchoicesforoptimalhealth www.vitalchoicesandchanges.myshaklee.com