Keep In Touch Newsletter

Volume XXIII No 1 April 2011 The KIT Newsletter editorial staff welcomes all suggested contributions for publication in the Newsletter from subscribers and readers, but whether a given submission meets the criteria for publication is at the sole discretion of the editors. While priority will be given to original contributions by people with past Bruderhof connections, any letters, articles, or reports which the editors deem to be of historical or personal interest or to offer new perspectives on issues of particular relevance to the ex-Bruderhof Newsletter readership may be included as well. The editors may suggest to the authors changes to improve their presentation.

Have you made your KIT Newsletter subscription/donation payment this year? Please find details on last page.
Contents Letters to the Editor 1 KIT-Gathering at Friendly Crossways 1 Memories of a Summer‟s Day in Primavera 2 Class Trip to the Tapiracuay 3 Arab-í – My Favorite Horse 4 DVD Primavera 1961 – 50 Years Ago 5 Changes of Addresses 5 Obituary for Stanley Vowles, 1918-2010 6 Helen and Stan Vowles joined the Quakers in Littlehampton 7 Remembering Stan and HelenVowles 7 We Have to do Our Bit 8 Bulstrode Gathering Saturday, May 7th, 2011 9 Requiescat in Pace 9 The Confrontation Between The Bruderhof And The German National-Socialist Government 1933 to 1937 – End 10 Introduction to Emi-Margaret Zumpe‟s Song, Notburg 13 Notburg – Song by Emi-Margaret Zumpe 15 KIT Newsletter Financial Report for the year 2010 14 Contact Details for Volunteers producing Keep In Touch 16 ___________________________________________________

KIT-Gathering at Friendly Crossways, August 12th – 15th 2011
By Miriam Holmes We will meet again at the Youth Hostel, Friendly Crossways in Massachusetts north of Boston. Date: Friday, August 12th, around noon till Monday, August th 15 in the morning. Cost per person per day: (this includes food and lodging) $50 for single/semiprivate rooms, $35 for dorms, $30 for camping, $25 for daytime commuters. Linens can be rented from FC for $ 5. Friendly Crossways requires a deposit by mid May. Please send me $50 by that time to cover that expense by check (made out to my name and address: Miriam Holmes, 310 Codman Hill Rd. Apt. DI, Boxborough, MA 01719-1703). Joy MacDonald will accept money from European travelers. See her contact details on the last page of the KIT Newsletter. For travel directions please check the FC-website: I am hoping that those who are able and so inclined pitch in extra money so we can scholarship those who need help with above costs. We are looking forward to seeing many of you in August. Saft zu verarbeiten. Die Apfelsinenpresse war eine „Eigenmarke“ des Bruderhofs. Sechs oder sieben gedrechselte, harte Köpf in Schalen aus Lapacho-Holz wurden mit Strom versorgt. Unter den Pressköpfen waren Eimer aufgestellt, die den Saft auffingen. Die Apfelsinen wurden in großen quadratischen Tanks gewaschen, von einer Kindergruppe halbiert, und dann in die große Kiste über den Pressköpfen gekippt. Im Wettlauf wurden die Apfelsinen von der zweiten Kindergruppe ausgepresst. War ein Eimer voll mit Saft, war es in der nächsten Station Aufgabe der „Melker“, den Saft durch Säcke zu sieben. Das Endprodukt wurde Fritz Pfeiffer und Bertel Sorgius anvertraut, die den Saft sterilisierten und in Flaschen ein korkten. Das war ErwachsenenArbeit, weil der Saft auf 70 Grad erhitzt, zu gefährlich für uns Kinder war. Die Flaschen mussten vorher mit einer Flaschenbürste von Hand gereinigt und gespült werden, auch dafür stand eine Truppe bereit. Fritz und Bertel haben immer die Flaschen gezählt, die sie für eine Schulgruppe abgefüllt haben. Ibaté hatte immer die Rekordleistung geschafft. Wir waren das kleinste Dorf unter den drei Höfen. Unser Arbeitstag in der Apfelsinen-Presse in Isla endete immer mit einem Besuch auf dem hohen Sägemehl-Hügel, der sich beim Sägewerk auftürmte. War das ein Spaß, den Hügel runter zu rollen und wieder hinauf zu tollen. Eine Sägemehl-Schlacht durfte nicht fehlen. Müde und „ausgepowert“ machten wir uns wieder auf den Heimweg nach Ibaté.

Letters to the Editor
Ullu Keiderling married Ellen Yacht
One correction to Hans Zimmermann‟s memories in the December KIT Newsletter 2011 (on page 14, left column, third paragraph): Ullu Keiderling married Ellen Yacht, and his older brother Roland married Lotte Keiderling. Once again thanks for KIT. August asked me to thank for him too. He is very appreciative. Nadine Pleil

Hans Zimmermann berichtete in seinen Kindheitserinnerungen kurz über die Apfelsinen-Ferien. Für uns Kinder waren sie immer ein „Happening“. Die älteren Schulkinder eines Hofs mussten eine Woche lang im Wald Apfelsinen ernten, parallel dazu war es Aufgabe der - Schüler eines anderen Hofs, die Früchte zu

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

1993 waren Ludwig und ich nach 32 Jahren das erste Mal wieder in Paraguay. Wir besuchten Freunde in Friesland. Sie erzählten uns, sie hätten in einem Keller Flaschen mit Saft gefunden, der habe so gut geschmeckt. Sie wollten von uns wissen wie wir den Saft hergestellt haben. Die Fundstelle konnte also nur in Loma gewesen sein, wo die gefüllten Flaschen gelagert wurden. Irene Pfeiffer-Fischer

Translation: Orange-Harvest Holidays
In his childhood memories Hans Zimmermann wrote briefly about the orange-harvest holidays. For us as children, this was always an “event.“ The older school children from each Hof had to spend a week in the woods picking oranges. At the same time school children from another Hof had the job of turning the fruit into juice. The orange press was our own invention. Six or seven turned hardwood knobs were fixed inside wooden lapacho bowls and electrically powered. Buckets were placed below the pressure heads to catch the juice. The oranges were washed in large square tanks, and cut in half by one group of school children, and then tipped into the large box above the pressure heads. The second group hurried to press the oranges in a race against time. As soon as a bucket was full of juice, it was taken to the “milkers” who sieved the juice through muslin sacks. The end product was then entrusted to Fritz Pfeiffer and Bertel Sorgius, who sterilized the juice and sealed it in corked bottles. That was grown-up work, because juice heated to 70 degrees, was too risky for us children. Before that the bottles had to be cleaned and rinsed by hand with a bottle brush; another group was allocated this task. Fritz and Bertel always counted the bottles they filled for each school group. Ibaté always achieved the record. We were the smallest of the three Hofs! Our working day at the orange press in Isla always ended with a visit to the high sawdust mountain that towered above the saw mill. What fun, rolling down the hill, then trudging up again. A sawdust fight was a must. Tired and spent we made our way back home to Ibaté. In 1993 Ludwig and I were back in Paraguay for the first time after 32 years. We visited friends in Friesland. They told us that they had found bottles of juice in a cellar; it tasted so good. They wanted us to tell them how we had made the juice. The find can only have been in Loma, because that is where the full bottles were stored. Irene Pfeiffer-Fischer [translation by Linda Lord Jackson]

Guarani mythology talks about the black Anaconda Mboy-jagua which waits at the water‟s edge to catch animals including young calves. It is doubtful that they make a mooing sound, but this Anaconda is known to inhabit the lower swamps of the Tapiracuay River as it approaches the Paraguay River. The issue about the buried treasure of Lopez is interesting and based on facts. Local lore has it, it may have been buried somewhere on the Primavera property. One hundred fifty years ago the terrain was much drier and Lopez crossed the swamps and the River Tapiracuay from 25 de Deciembre – Primavera territory. However people up and down eastern Paraguay say the treasure is buried where they live. Hans Tolten also writes about the lost treasure. One of the stories makes the most sense and probably is true: George Thompson who was Lopez British military advisor during the war of the Tripple Alianza writes that Lopez‟s wife Ella Lynch raided the national treasury and carried of numerous boxes filled with gold. These she had buried somewhere south-east of Asunción as she was going to meet up with her husband Lopez who was fighting the war in the south. Madam Lynch had all the men shot who buried the treasure. Once her group reached the main camp, every other person was executed for treason leaving her as the sole survivor. With that the location was lost forever. The story that the Ibaté school children were digging for this treasure by the big sand stones at the Tapiracuay was the joke of the day, and supposedly done on the instructions of Heini Arnold. Yes, I still remember that hideous hole those children left behind. That sand stone is still visible today near the river by the Taufplatz. Hans Zimmermann

Memories of a Summer’s Day in Primavera
By Susanna Alves – November 1960 Some raindrops have filled the air with the scent of a blue summer sky. I see myself suddenly again, that certain summer day, in Primavera. The day was too beautiful! It hurt my soul, my heart, and all my senses, to see it so beautiful, so clear and pure. The day filled me, I was in the day, was part of it...

Marili’s School Outing to the River Tapiracuay
With interest I read Marili Matthäus‟ story about an outing to the River Tapiracuay in the December KIT. [See also Linda Jackson‟s translation on page 3.] Again and again people have reported to have heard a jaguar or other animal growling or calling during the night while staying at the river Tapiracuay in Primavera. While it was possible that on occasion it might have been a jaguar, (I for one cannot say to have heard one for sure) most of the time it was the heron – Hoco [Grosse Rohrdommel]. Various people have made reference to this bird being the culprit; Herman Pleil did, as did the author Hans Tolten who has written some of the best nature stories about Paraguay. I personally had an experience early one morning when paddling up to the Wagenstelle with Ludwig Fischer, and one of these herons made his call from a tree over the river. I do not even know if the jaguar actually engages in howling. May be it is like the Puma where only the female cat makes a screeching howl but only when in heat.

The Great Kiskadee, a flycatcher, in Argentina: Bienteveo comun, Pitangus sulphuratus (contributed by Susanna Alves)

I stepped carefully, lightly. The sun played on the leaves of the Eucalyptus, – it was too beautiful, all of this! And then the birds!

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

The “Bien-te-veo” was calling his mocking call, when he saw me passing: “Bien-te-veo! Bien-te-veo!” he shrieked. There were the sparrows; the horneros; in the distance a teru-teru called. I walked on, along the lonely little path. Nobody was near. I was alone with beauty. – I found my favourite place: The bench underneath a small Eucalyptus. The yellow flowers were still all there – all smiling – all sunny in the sun. Here were the special grass blades. There was another “Bien-te-veo”, mocking me. Then – the wind: It brought secrets. It whispered into my heart: “There is only you – you and the little world about you. Nothing else exists. Nothing else, nothing!” – I stayed there eternally. There it all was: Sun; wind; flowers; scents; grass; trees; birds; sky; clouds; and me. I was a child again. Innocent. I stood before the Creator – hand in hand with Creation I stood before Him. And He blessed us...

Class Trip to the Tapiracuay
By Marili Matthäus-Friedemann I awoke to a mild day, not a breath of wind, but it was a special day. As the usual early morning sounds reached my ears, my excitement rose. I could hear a loud “piptowi, piptowi“. This blackyellow bird had been awake for ages, its call heard everywhere. Also the swelling and receding roar of the Howler Monkeys could be heard for miles around. Did it mean rain? No, it can‟t rain today! Today we are going on a class trip to our beloved Tapiracuay-River. Breakfast was soon over. The slice of bread spread with dripping and some homemade treacle and the cup of Mate were soon gone. Two woollen blankets, a change of clothes, wooden sandals, and an antiquated swimming costume were quickly chucked together and tied into a bundle, and off we went to rendezvous by the dining room in Ibaté. The store man – Hugo Stahel at the time – had packed all the essentials the day before: food, frying pan, cauldron and tin plates. Four adults came along to supervise. One of them did a head count to check that the fourth and fifth years were all present and correct. The other adults packed the children‟s bundles onto the horse and cart. Then we were off, all singing the song “ Wir wollen zu Land ausfahren, wohl über die Fluren weit“. (We want to travel far into the country side…). The horse and cart lead the way and we children trotted along behind it. First our route took us through the village of Ibaté, then on to the sundried prairie. In the distance we could see cattle grazing, and we couldn't believe our eyes: there were actually some Ostriches (Ñandús) among them. When they saw us they scampered, wings outstretched. Our uneven route then took us into the jungle where the road was full of potholes. The progress of the horse and cart was now too slow for us, so we ran on ahead. We were just so excited – at last we were experiencing something different from the usual monotony of everyday life. After travelling for at least one and a half hours, we reached the river house in a clearing in the jungle by our beloved Tapiracuay River. Covered in sweat, the first thing to do was to get our feet into the clear, cool water. Oh, what a relief for the feet! In the meantime, the adults unloaded the horse and cart, and sorted out the house, which consisted of two large bedrooms, each with a wide wooden platform bed (wall to wall, using half the space). One bedroom was for males and one for females. Between the rooms was a wide corridor, in which there was a very long table with long benches at each side. On a slightly lower

level there was a small open space that we used as a kitchen. About 50 metres from the house were the male and female boarded in toilet pits. The cauldron over the fire was filled with water so some Mate could be brewed for us children in a big old enamel Billy can. The adults drank their Yerba mate out of the Guampa with a Bombilla. An hour after arrival we were finally allowed to go swimming, boys and girls separately of course. While the girls were swimming, the boys were taken for a walk. One of the swimmers took a long rope across to the other side of the river, and attached it to the diving board; it was pulled tight and fixed to the other side of the river as well so now the non-swimmers could also get across the river by holding on to the rope. Before the trip, Hilde Pfeiffer had the brilliant idea to make some floats. She sewed 40cm x 40cm cases out of sugar bag sacking, then filled them with corks and attached tapes which were tied around our chests. With the help of these swimming aids, most of us learned to swim on this class trip. We were so proud of ourselves!

This picture of the Tapiracuay River House gives a good impression of how many people it sheltered during a night. On that occasion a youth group enjoyed some days at the river side. (Contributed from the Renatus-Klüver-Collection)

Some of us went off looking for flint and were ecstatic if sparks flew when the stones were rubbed together. A flock of macawparrots (Aras) flew screeching away over our heads. We didn‟t see these gorgeous big parrots very often. We were summoned to our mid day meal by a gong, there were – oh so delicious – pancakes. We only ever got them on class trips unfortunately. After we had stuffed ourselves to capacity, some of us girls wanted to prove to the boys that we too could catch fish. Armed with a machete, we cut a few fishing rods, tied some string to them, and at the end, fixed a piece of wire shaped into a fish hook. The cork off a bottle was used as a float. Soon the first fish bit, and we quickly landed it. The fish was beheaded with the machete; then we fished for more, until we had a whole pile of fish. These were then prepared for our evening meal. Unfortunately the fish were full of bones, so we had to be hellish careful to avoid swallowing them. As soon as the sun went down, millions of mosquitoes made their presence felt. Sitting still was not an option. We made a big bonfire and threw dry cow pats on to it. They smoked dreadfully, and chased the mosquitoes away. Now we all sat in a circle around the fire, sang songs and played question and answer games. Right at the end, one of the adults told us the story about the Inn in Spessart. After that it was time to hit the sack on the hard wooden boards. Each of us created their own little „bed‟ space, shrouded in a mosquito net, and tried to go to sleep. From

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

outside, strange and eerie sounds bombarded our ears. The windows were wide open, so the bats chased around the bedroom. Luckily we were under the mosquito nets. In the distance we heard the deep sound of an anaconda (it sounded a bit like a cow mooing). I don‟t think anyone slept well that first night. As the new day dawned, however, we were up and ready to go on the next adventure. After sharing breakfast together, one group decided they wanted to go and explore the river banks. We had to clear the way along the river with machetes first. The most beautiful aquatic plants, in full bloom adorned the banks of the river. Small water birds with long thin legs strutted along on the large leaves of the water plants. Hundreds of magnificent dragonflies danced across the water shimmering in the morning light. A little kingfisher sat on a branch looking out for fish to dive for. And there, hidden among the riverside plants, we found the head of a Cayman (a small crocodile). Suddenly in front of us there appeared two identical red rocks. Someone said the “Lopeztreasure” could be buried here. Full of curiosity and the spirit of adventure, we went back to the river house and armed ourselves with spades and a pickaxe, spoons, and anything else that could possibly be use for digging. Savagely we dug away, spurring each other on. It really would be sensational if we could dig up the “Lopez-treasure”. We only allowed ourselves a short break for lunch, and then toiled away again. By the time the first sign of twilight approached, we had already dug a very big hole, but nothing could be seen. The disappointment was great; all that effort for nothing. That night we slept like a log! Next day we examined our excavation, and came to the conclusion there was no point digging any further! Five of us preferred to go out in the boat. The beauty and the all encompassing peace radiating from the river cannot be described, but we enjoyed and appreciated it all. We rowed as far as we possibly could, and then let the current take us back. One week was soon over, but we were also looking forward to getting home again, as we had so many stories to tell. I love to remember this class trip. Translated by Linda Lord Jackson. [The Story in German was published in the KIT Newsletter of December 2010, page 15. – Please read Hans Zimmermann‟s letter in this issue on page 2.]

Arab-í looking toward Monte Jaime – drawing by Amanda Stängl, 1957 (8x10 inches)

Arab-í – My Favorite Horse
By Amanda Gurganus All my life as far back as I can recall, I have had a love for horses. Even now, if there are horses anywhere, I have an urge to stop whatever it is I am doing, and just watch. If I am doodling I invariably draw horse heads on the paper. My grandkids want me to draw animals; dogs cats, pigs, whatever, but always it's a horse that thrills them the most. Perhaps, because I draw them the most life-like. In Paraguay, the thing I loved to do most was ride horses. At least once a week we rode horses. We did not ride as a means of transportation, for instance when we traveled to other settlements. For those times we hitched horses to a wagon, and went to our destination. Our horse-back riding was always for recreation. During those times of pleasure, any horse was adequate. However, there was one horse, more than any other that I wanted to ride! That horse was Arab-í. I thought that he was a magnificent horse. However, everyone thought that Arab-í was a little unpredictable; consequently, I had quite some difficulty getting anyone to allow me to ride him.

A few months ago, my granddaughter gave me a movie entitled “Second Hand Lions”. In that movie there was a scene where the hero was riding a beautiful white stallion, not unlike Arab-í. Also like Arab-í, the horse in the movie was an Arabian horse. The hero was riding on a beach when another rider on an equally magnificent, though black horse galloped along. The race was on! That scene of the two beautiful horses racing side by side brought to my recollection the time that I was in a race while riding Arab-í. After being turned down countless times, no matter how often I asked or cajoled, my persistence finally paid off: One day I got the permission to ride my favorite horse. At the time, there was a cowboy with me, to make sure I would be safe. We started out calmly enough, with Arab-í leading the way, but soon the pace escalated. The cowboy had gotten his horse to go a little faster and he soon overtook us and took the lead. Big mistake! I guess Arab-í did not like following; he kicked into high gear and took off. Very quickly, Arab-í passed the other horse, and the race was on. The cowboy tried, but was not able to catch up to us, and the distance between the two horses grew farther and farther apart. We were traveling on a dirt road at speeds I had never ridden before! I was holding on for dear life! Arab-í was just too fast. The faster he ran, the harder I held on. I had no idea where the horse was taking me, but I knew that there was no way that I was going to get him to change his mind. Before long, the saddle began to slide. I lost my stirrups! Then my shoes flew off! At the same time the saddle slid around to Arab-í‟s side! When I looked up to where we were headed, I saw that we were on a collision course with a gate! Just when I thought that we were going to crash, Arab-í decided to stop. Four halting jumps and just inches before the fence the race ended. Arab-í came to a standstill. In spite of myself, I had been able to hold on. The cowboy finally caught up and seeing that everything was safe, took control of Arab-í. O dear that had to be the best race that I have ever had!

The BRUDERHOF ESCAPE BOOKS written by Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe, Miriam Arnold Holmes, and Nadine Moonje Pleil are available. Please contact: Margot Purcell, 2095 South Emmas Lane, La Porte, IN 46350 USA, tel: +1 219 324 8068, Email:

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

Singing in the Isla Dining Room – still decorated for Christmas. This is one of the many Comet photos on the DVD Primavera 1961 – 50 years ago described below. Some of us will recognize the one and other; or even most of them. (Photo: ETH Library Zürich, image archive)

DVD Primavera 1961 – 50 Years Ago
By Erdmuthe Arnold As announced in the December KIT Newsletter 2010 on page 10, Linda Lord Jackson and I have finished all the preparations – and can now offer the DVD “Primavera 1961 50 Years Ago.” The cost of one DVD plus mailing expenses is US: $10.00 plus $4.00 = $14.00 UK: £6.50 plus £1.00 = £7.50 Europe: €8,00 plus €2.00 = €10,00 If you want to order more than one DVD, the mailing expenses need only be paid once. Please include a note with your payment: "for Photo DVD" to identify what the money is for. Once payment has been made, you will receive your Primavera DVD. If you haven't paid the annual subscription – donation for the KIT Newsletter yet, now would be a good opportunity to include it as well. In North America please send your payment to Tim Johnson in US $ cash or checks made out to: Tim Johnson, 155 Garden Lane, Decatur, GA30030, USA Tel: +1-404-373-0633 Email: In England, please send your payment to Joy MacDonald in UK £ checks, cash or Bank transfers. Checks should be made out to Joy MacDonald personally (and not to KIT). Address: Foxglen, Pinemount Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 2LU, UK., +44-(0)1276-26938. Email: Euros or other currencies should be sent to Anthony Lord in Euro € checks, cash or bank transfers: Volksbank BrüggenNettetal EG, BLZ: 31062154, Kontonummer 2201052010, Objektbezeichnung: „KIT‟. – From other countries: currencies

converted to Euros can also be deposited into the account using code: IBAN: DE52 3106 2154 2201 0520 10, or BIC: GENODED1KBN. Address: Anthony Lord, House of Lords, Johann-Finken-Straße 35, 41334 Nettetal, GERMANY. Email: We are sure you will enjoy the DVD. If later on you want to buy digitalized quality photos for prints - use the Order Form included with the DVD.

Changes of Addresses
Please copy these updated addresses and add them to your KIT Address List September 2010
Allain, Paulo and Lucy Rua Tiradentes, 2735 Jardim São Carlos CEP 37130-000, ALFENAS Minas Gerais BRAZIL tel: +55 35 3292 9107 Brookshire, Katherine 4855 Snyder Lane, apt 163 [the Lane number was wrong last time] Rohnert Park, CA 94928 USA tel: +1 707 585 8226 Meier, Lucrezia Casilla de Correos 22100 San Lorenzo PARAGUAY

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

Obituary for Stanley Vowles 28th May 1918 – 19th December 2010
By Stella Chamberlin, Paul and Jenny Vowles If I should go before the rest of you Break not a flower, nor inscribe a stone, Nor speak about me in a Sunday voice! But be the usual selves I've always known. Weep if you must; Parting is hell: But life goes on, so sing as well. Joyce Grenfell Stanley Vowles was born in Coventry. He was one of four children. His father was originally from Halifax, and worked in an iron foundry. His mother was a laundrywoman. The Vowles family was extremely poor. With no social security in those days, they all had to work hard to make ends meet. Stan‟s father was a large physical man, with a temper to match, which he often vented on his wife and children. Life for the young family was tough, particularly after father was badly burned in an accident at work, which resulted in him being hospitalized for over a year. He returned home, a broken man and, sadly, took his own life when Stan was just eleven years old. Life became more difficult financially; this being during the Depression. So Stan‟s mother agreed his two brothers would join the military, mainly so that they would be adequately fed. As a boy Stan did all sorts of odd jobs to earn a few pennies. He only ever had one holiday – a week camping on the Suffolk coast, courtesy of a local church charity. His main means of transport was his bicycle; he thought nothing of cycling with friends far out of the city into the countryside. His early passion for cycling continued throughout his life, up until just three months before his death! Stan enjoyed school, but had to leave at fourteen to start his apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker and coppersmith at a local engineering factory. Just after the outbreak of World War II when production switched to military airplanes, Stan left that job as it was against his pacifist principles to do such work. He eventually found work in another factory but, unfortunately, he too suffered an industrial accident at the age of nineteen which severed four fingers of his right hand. The company denied the lack of safety guard on the machine and he received absolutely no compensation. However, Stan never let his disability hold him back. One of Stan‟s favorite leisure activities was long-distance walking with the Ramblers Association. This was how he met Helen Cooper, a recently-qualified pharmacist new to Coventry. They soon realized they were soul mates and kindred spirits,

both with very strong pacifist opinions. As neither wanted to work to further the “war effort”, Stan being a conscientious objector, they volunteered to work for two children‟s charities: Shaftesbury Homes and Dr Barnardo‟s. They found these jobs in Sevenoaks, where they were married in 1941. They dragged two strangers in off the street to be the witnesses! In 1943, when they were expecting their first child, they moved back to Helen‟s home in Hertfordshire where her father was the village baker. Stan helped his father-in-law in their family business. After two more children arrived, they joined a newly set up, self-sufficient pacifist community in Shropshire, where they lived a very frugal life in spartan accommodation, during the harsh winter of 1947, and where their fourth child was born in 1948. In 1949 they decided to join some members of this expanding community on a journey across the Atlantic to Paraguay, where they helped to build up three thriving self-sufficient villages in the remote central region of the country. Helen worked as the hospital pharmacist, while Stan worked in the saw mill and helped maintain the steam-powered generator. They had five more children in South America, and returned to England in 1960 when the village Loma Hoby and the hospital of the Paraguayan community were disbanded. They spent the rest of their lives in several English counties – Stan working for the Electricity Board, then as a lorry driver, and later in his son‟s bakery business – before finally retiring to Littlehampton “by the sea”, where Helen always wanted to end her days. They lived very simply but happily, joining in many local activities until Helen‟s death in 2004. As a result of his various industrial jobs, Stan had become totally deaf in his later years, but he continued living independently for a further six years after Helen‟s death. He spent his time keeping in touch by e-mail with his worldwide friends and relations, and remained an active member of various pacifist and ecological groups. A frequent visitor to the library and Oxfam‟s book shop, he was an avid reader on a wide range of subjects until, sadly, his eyesight failed. Stan was a true “fighter”, but not in the military sense, and he absolutely abhorred injustice wherever he saw it. He always tried to do something practical to help those less fortunate than himself, for example collecting and refurbishing old tools to donate to African charities, and writing countless letters on behalf of Amnesty International to heads of government about political prisoners worldwide. He lived a “green” and “environmentally friendly” life, long before those phrases became fashionable. Although in his long life he experienced personal sadness and great difficulties – extreme poverty, and the early death of both his father and only sister – he found much happiness with his be-

The nine children of Stan and Helen Vowles – celebrating their parent’s 60th wedding day in March 2001 (left to right): Greta, Barbara, Alan, Stella, Kathleen, Raphael, Bernard, Brenda, Paul. (Photos contributed by Raphael Vowles)

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

loved Helen and their large family. He was a very protective and supportive father to his children, always trying to do his best for them. Stan died after a short illness, aged 92, leaving behind his nine children, twenty-four grandchildren and three greatgrandchildren. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him. A memorial meeting was held at the Quaker Meeting Room, Littlehampton on Sunday, February 20th 2011. Family and friends were in attendance. Written on behalf of the family by Stella Chamberlin (daughter), and Paul and Jenny Vowles (son and daughter-in-law) BURIED IN THE WOOD KIT. Raphael Vowles informed his Hummer friends on February 12th, 2011 about his father‟s burial: “Dad, was buried on 19 th Jan 2011 in a beautiful spot at Brighton in England about twenty meters from Mums‟ grave. The Littlehampton Quakers provided the service with much dignity, and messages from friends and family who were not able to be there. Thereafter we all met for afterfuneral refreshments at Woodingdean's Downs Hotel where many fond remembrances were relayed. It was a large gathering of family to be sure; also many friends of Mum and Dad's were there. Itt was a pleasure to hear some of the stories from them too. Ex-Bruderhof friends were also in attendance and were able to be introduced to the family individually. “May I take this opportunity to individually thank all you friends on Hummer for the many thoughtful and kind messages of support which were forthcoming after the news of Dad‟s illness and subsequent death on December, 19 th, 2010. This thanks is extended from my nine brothers and sisters too. I still find it amazing to see what a wonderful caring bunch of people you all are – it surely explains much that such long friendships can come out of the shared life experience you all have. “A Yiddish phrase comes to mind – You are a Mensch! – Despite all the tribulations of individual experience you are nevertheless able to „be there‟ for a friend and to salute their passing so tellingly. The Hummer tribe is a diverse group but on this level I am proud to count you all as heroes for the humanity that you have shown in your words and deeds. Thank you, again, Raphael”. A phone call from John Holland should also be mentioned. He was absolutely enthused about the surroundings of the grave yard: “It lies wonderful on top of the hill in a wooded area: Stan is buried in the wood, no marks.” John also thought that the cardboard coffin with a picture all around it showing a tractor overloaded with hay was a remarkable and humble way of leaving this world. Besides John, the KITers Cedron Caine, Gareth Wright, Carol Beels and Terry Rickets came to say their farewell to a true and lovable friend.

shelves for a young family newly moved. When one of our older members – a former teacher – arrived at her first meeting, she recalls, there were no young people and she was immediately afterwards approached by Helen carrying children‟s books who said “I have a dream to start a children‟s meeting”. It is a measure of her faith that first one family arrived, then another, and within a year there were fourteen children. Family groups are the foundation of our meeting and, of course, as the children grow up and move on, others take their place. Stan was a great writer of letters and would correspond with members on any subject sometimes referring to “learned atheists and agnostics” and pacifism, and continued to be widely read until shortly before his death. He would often cycle past the RNLI bookshop to see what could be found. His bicycle outside the meeting house would indicate his early arrival, and he would not leave without contributing to the washing-up. As deafness and tinnitus took hold, Helen would discuss the ministry in meeting at home enabling him to keep in touch. After she died six years ago, other members would write it down for him during the meeting which made it possible for him to respond to from time to time or talk to Friends about later. A particular concern of theirs was for prisoners of conscience, and we are continuing the support for Amnesty International begun by Stan. We owe them a lot. In old age, Stan remained bright and energetic keeping a routine that more youthful members could only envy. We valued his wisdom and commonsense and admired his fortitude. His reaction to his personal difficulties was an example of how to overcome and accept a disability, an attitude which he applied to the onset of cancer. We offer our grateful thanks for the grace of God as shown in their lives and remember them with affection.

Remembering Stan and HelenVowles
By Carol Beck Beels What a very moving, warm, appreciative celebration of Stanley Vowles‟ life, on Sunday 20th February! I am so glad this took place and that we were all invited to attend. By so doing the Quaker Friends also allowed me to honor and remember again my own parents and their connections with Stan and Helen. This event helped me to appreciate even more what motivated Stan and Helen to the end. Even though that motivation and “call” turned out on a human level to be a total contradiction (according to a Bruderhof view point), quite differently from my parents, who stayed in the Bruderhof; I personally feel they lived far richer and far more fulfilled lives; which included their children and grandchildren fully. Stan and Helen held true to their values of love, peace, harmony, joy, fun, service, community. I believe they were freed up to be able to do that fully by the choices they made by not returning to the Bruderhof.
Stan and Helen on their 60th wedding day, 2001

Helen and Stan Vowles joined the Quakers in Littlehampton
By Michael Nott Stan and Helen came to Quakers about thirty years ago when searching for a new spiritual home. They brought to us their strong sense of sharing in community as they helped build our young meeting in Littlehampton from attendance in individual‟s homes to our present Local Meeting of about forty members with our own premises. Some of the examples of Stan‟s practical ability remain with us – a customised fireguard, for instance, or the rather extraordinary, but effective, retractable kitchen serving counter, and

Stan and Helen started again “outside” with nine children, the oldest, about fifteen/sixteen, and the youngest, three or four years old. From what I know of them after leaving, they carried on expressing their values and beliefs through fami-

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

ly and neighborhood, eventually becoming part of the Quaker Community in Littlehampton and being a very supportive part of the ex-Bruderhof members who needed moral, emotional support, and friendship such as myself. I got to know them again in about 1983. I never in all those years heard them either mock or show resentment towards the Bruderhof or its members, even though injustices no doubt had been done. They were both very clear as to why they could never return. Stan read and held on to many of the books put out by the Bruderhof – even the old Hutterian Chronicles. The last time my husband and I visited Stan and Helen, after a while when Helen played Scrabble with Mike, Stan was able to pour out his thoughts and love for what had made him and Helen go to the Bruderhof in the first place. Stan loved the opportunity to speak about what he was reading. He loved writings about a different world order which would take him invariably back to the time of joining the Bruderhof. I love and respect Stan and Helen deeply for how they lived their lives to the end. The Bruderhof Brotherhood would probably totally disagree with me, but as said earlier I believe they stayed true to their promise before the Bruderhof Church in baptism, even though they parted company with that group. The sense of community Stan and Helen found within the Quakers in Littlehampton, and their part in nurturing and sustaining that community is very heart warming. This came out clearly in the Memorial Service, held in the lovingly kept Meeting House. The atmosphere during the meeting will stay with me – deep harmonious silence, interspersed with people sharing memories of Stan, but of course very much also including Helen. The Friends that attended (thirteen in all) were so welcoming and the conversations afterwards heartfelt. What different people shared just meant so much to build up a picture of Stan and Helen‟s life; also that two members of the family spoke so openly and honestly. On a spirit level Stan and Helen must surely have been there. If they were I hope they brought some of their friends from the Bruderhof days with them, including my parents, to experience firsthand how these two dear people lived out the true meaning of community to the end. I want to extend my gratitude to all who attended and shared in this beautiful honoring of a life lived so fully to the end. It once again totally contradicts the fear I had when leaving the Bruderhof (about 1978) that nowhere else could true community and love be found! Thinking about Stan‟s life I felt the French Carol (Oxford Carol Book) “Up my neighbor, come away...” was particularly appropriate for him and his work ethic. We used to sing it in the Bruderhof in Paraguay. I am still a bit conditioned by the community‟s tradition of not singing solo. But Paul – a Friend, present both at the burial and Memorial Meeting, was keen that I sing it rather than just read it. All I regret is that I did not encourage people to join in the chorus. Here is the song, which the more I hummed it before the Memorial seemed to sum up Stan‟s life – since he started searching for the meaning of life, which lead him and Helen to the Bruderhof together. The plough and its purpose has always been a very meaningful symbol and we did have much corn in Paraguay. Being a true neighbor and doing hard manual labor have also always been very positive qualities learned and lived in the Bruderhof. Up my neighbor, come away, See the work for us today, The hands to help, the mouths to feed, The sights to see, the books to read. Up and get us gone to help the world along. Up and get us gone, my neighbor.

Up, my neighbor, see the plough For our hands lies waiting now; Grasp well the stilt, yoke up the team, Stride out to meet the morning beam: Up and get us gone… Up, my neighbor, see the land Ready for the sower`s hand; The plough has made an even tilth, The furrows wait the golden spilth: Up and get us gone… Up, my neighbor, now the corn Ripens at the harvest morn; Then let it to our sickle yield, And pile with sheaves the golden field: Up and get us gone… Up, my neighbor, let us pray, Thank our Maker every day, Who gave us work our strength to test And made us proud to do our best: Up and get us gone…

We have to do Our Bit
By Stanley Vowles (letter to Erdmuthe Arnold, July 2004) I want with this to give you an impression out of my weak and limited self what I have been thinking of and working on over this last about 60 years. So what follows will be in a sense a summary of that time. The day the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima I had such a tremendous shock that I have never been the same person since, in this sense that a power that could perpetuate such a crime against humanity was absolutely rotten and another way for us had to be found. For when that awe inspiring happening occurred it was so frightening that men, yes, and women had been “given” the power to destroy themselves off the face of the earth. All political, economic, military arguments to the contrary! In other words everything had changed in human perception, except for attitudes. And that must change or we are all undone. This is strongly confirmed by what has transpired since then that through nuclear, biological and chemical means (these last two being much cheaper than the nuclear option) the foregoing still applies. So in looking and seeking for answers we were lead to join the Bruderhof in Wheathill, where by its and the community‟s writings it looked as if that was the answer; in principle yes, but as seen now, through manifold human weaknesses, no. This is not to say that on the whole the brothers and sisters in all the communities were not genuine in their desire and practise to live a better and more fundamentally righteous and genuine life. Of course they were and as far as I can see … they still are. But then the power aspect arises where individuals for one reason or another, usually on the basis of some biblical text or another, take or work for power for themselves reflecting a somehow inherent ego seeking. Sure there were some who did not wish or follow this and truly wanted to be of service to their fellow men and mankind in general. However these were usually or always of the meeker sort, and the worldly wise and cleverer in their unscrupulous cunning seeking of power and will use any means to obtain it, be it being apparently humble and God fearing or blatantly ruthless, when occasion demands it. Eberhard Arnold I believe saw and recognised this tendency in we humans hence he

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

tried to come into a wider conception of the little group in trying to ally and join with the old Hutterian brotherhoods, who had had a few centuries experience of living in community. But as we now know they experienced and still experience divisions and splits among themselves as evidenced in the Lehrerleut, Schmiedeleut and Dariusleut groups and I believe this will still go on. However, be that as it may the world is a wider and deeper context than any particular group or groupings. I was amazed but not surprised when for a quite superficial reason our family was asked (ordered) to so say „take a distance‟, in other words leave what we had given ourselves to for fifteen years. Others sadly had given up to and more than thirty years of their lives to the cause. But did that matter? Not a jot. For power over rather than power to do was in the saddle. I will not go over the ins and outs of all that; suffice it to say through all the books that have been written and especially KIT that comes through clearly enough. One very small contribution I made to that ongoing 1999, and I make no particular claim to discernment, but when a 20,000,000 $ (twenty million dollar) lawsuit was commenced against Ramon Sender, I was so incensed by the gross injustice of this that I wrote to the most responsible person about it and it was dropped. Good. That‟s just a little aside. So I`ve gone on thinking and working towards what it is that humanity is requiring: First and foremost that we get rid of war, before it gets rid of us. If that would happen the earth will go on quite happily without us. But I do not think that is the intention of the almighty and (transcendental) power which controls everything. As evidence of this I note that millions of people world-wide, still not enough, are seeking and finding ways that life will go on. Why some 50,000,000 people before the attack on Iraq stood up and protested about it, for a vast variety of reasons, united in this one conception that such a blatant use of power was wrong. I mentioned this to a very gifted retired professor of history and he quietly smiled and said: “Good, but 200,000,000 watched the world foot ball contest so we have a way to go yet.” Now what does the brief foregoing mean in practicalities? Just this I contend. Such organisations as Green Peace, Friends of the Earth, The Soil Association, World Development Movement, The Schumacher Institute for Basic Technology (to help the poor of this world), Tools for Self Reliance (with similar aims), Oxfam, Christian Aid, the many and diverse charitable organisations that in one way or another work for the benefit of their fellow men. (In England there are some 3000 such groups and surely such in Germany, USA or where ever, all good but not enough, while governments supported by their people are still at one another‟s throats, be it through threats, economic means and narrow nationalism or whatever.) So coming more and more into prominence are such groups as the Association of World Federalists and the New Economic Foundation who see, perhaps yet dimly that our salvation (not in a religious sense) lies in more and more cooperation and less and less competition. Sure there will always be tensions, and that is good, to challenge us to find better ways and also competition, for excellence only, is fine, if it does not beat down others into the ground, which is all to evident in what goes on now. Then there is the wider context of seeing what we humans are doing to the environment when it is already recognised and formulated that if we go on as we presently are, sea levels all over the world will rise, in as little as fifty years to quite unacceptable levels for humanity. And we already know and experience changes in climatic conditions largely, if not only brought on by high levels of pollution, largely man engendered. So at my somewhat mature age of 86 [in 2004], I will not have much longer to 90, but am supported strongly by the notion

Bulstrode Gathering Saturday, May 7th, 2011
By Andy Harries To all Ex-Bruderhofers and friends! I have been able to book the room we had last year and a few times before at Bulstrode again. The room is available for us from 10.30am to 5.30pm. WEC International has kindly allowed us the use of the dining room at the back, with access to hot water so we can make our own drinks. We will bring basic milk, sugar, tea and coffee. We recommend you to bring some food along which we usually share. As always we can sit outside on the veranda with free access to the lovely Bulstrode Park and grounds. Please no smoking indoors, no alcohol and do not leave any litter anywhere. We will have a collection for a voluntary contribution, which we can give to the WEC people as a thank you for their kindness in allowing us the use of the room and grounds. WEC International has asked me to put out a sheet of paper at reception for everybody to sign on arrival. This is a legal requirement in case of fire. If you enter through the main front door, reception will be on the right. Before that, also on the right are toilets. Please pass this information on to others who might not hear about it. and experience that it will be peace on earth to men of goodwill, for of those that are not of goodwill it can only be otherwise. I know the above is often thought of as peace on earth und goodwill to men, sure that‟s o.k., but we cannot just take that for granted if we don‟t do our bit. And it is well said, and this is a rather deep matter, we are free to serve the good or not, just as we choose. But that brings up the whole question of free-will to which there are many arguments pro and con. In one way just the very fact of being alive we are guilty of much of the injustice that goes on in the world. That is an old, old story and should give us no cause for chest beating in remorse or a sense of sin if we recognise it and TRY to do something about it. To me the old conception of sin is somewhat misplaced, I like one man‟s keen notice of that which is we have a certain mark to aim for and the best is the bulls eye and where we miss it and score rather less, then we have so say „missed the mark‟. The foregoing is a slight summary of what my interests are and have been. There are various hymns and songs which I like which are expressive of the foregoing but will not quote them as they could be taken as expressions of pietistic thought. Perish that. …

Requiescat in Pace
Hannah Boller
KIT. On December 9th, 2010 Hannah Boller passed away suddenly at Platte Clove Bruderhof, (aka Catskill) one of the New York communities. Hannah, daughter of Hans Uli and Lizzie Boller, was only 45 when she died of the side effects of a stroke. She is survived by three brothers, four sisters, their spouses, and numerous nieces and nephews. – “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Mat 5.3).

Bruderhof Elder Richard Scott
KIT. On February 8th Richard Scott died at Maple Ridge community at the age of 61, defeated by cancer. His parents, Bill and

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

Dorothy Scott joined the Wheathill Bruderhof. Richard was named Elder in 2001. He is survived by his wife Kathy Kurtz and his children.

Raymond Hofer
KIT. About the same time as Richard Scott, Raymond Hofer passed away at the Platte Clove community at the age of 59. He also died of cancer. With their children, Ray and his wife moved to the Bruderhof from Starland Colony (Minnesota) in 1995 during the Hutterite/Bruderhof- split. He was involved in the Oakwood colony Bruderhof take-over (a similar story to what happened at Forest River) and then became a Servant.

direction to the right first, then turn to the left. Eileen would call out: “The girls go in and clap – the boys go in and clap – the girls go in and clap, and turn a circle round!” [… and turn around yourself.] Eileen made us read English literature like Shakespeare‟s “Mac Beth”, but also gave us easy books to start with, as we did not really know much English at the time. The first English book I ever read was called:"Child of China" and a new world opened for me. Eileen was in the youth group when she came to Primavera and enjoyed singing all the German songs; at the same time she taught the young people the English folksongs, which we came to love. I remember many. Here are the first verses of two songs: I will give my love an apple without e‟er a core, I will give my love a house without e‟er a door, I will give my love a palace wherein she can be, And she may unlock it without any key. [… and so on] I‟ll weave my love a garland It shall be dressed so fine, I‟ll set it round with roses, With lilies, pink and thyme. And I‟ll present it to my love, When he comes back from sea, For I love my love, and I love my love, Because my love loves me! [… and so on] For us young Bruderhof children these emotional songs were just lovely, and gave us the feeling that we could express ourselves in midst of our tight and strict surroundings, when feeling in love or thinking we did. We loved Eileen. When she was on evening-watch, she would sit on our windowsill and talk to us as though we were adults, giving her thoughts about various matters, and sharing with us in our little difficulties, and without making a big scene about any of our failings. I remember her wedding to Bernard and thought he was not nearly good enough for her. When their first child, Natalie was born, all of us young girls wanted to take the baby home for Vesper or in the evenings or just be in the baby-room to watch this little girl. Eileen was lovely and many of us hold wonderful memories of her.

Eileen Robertshaw
Nadine Pleil to Hummer, April 11 2011: We heard today from Hannah Goodwin Johnson that her aunt Eileen Robertshaw passed away March 29th 2011 at the age of 90. Hannah's brother John wrote a letter to notify Eileen Goodwin and Hannah twelve days later. Eileen Amy Taylor Robertshaw, was born July 29 th 1920. She was married to Bernard Robertshaw on October 29 th 1948 in Primavera. They had seven children: Natalie Muriel, Gwynedd Mary, Kevin John, Eirlys Margaret, Philip Ewan (out), Stephen Gerrard, and Clement Theodore Francis. Eileen was my teacher for one or two subjects when I was in 9th grade. She came from Wheathill to help in the Primavera school. Eileen and Dorothy Scott went to the same college in England before they joined the Wheathill Bruderhof. Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe to Hummer, April 13th 2011: I have happy memories of Eileen Taylor-Robertshaw. She came to Primavera 1947 or 1948 to help in our Loma Hoby School. She was young, very pretty, and full of energy. She knew many wonderful songs and country dances. She taught us English language, song and dance. With her we danced may-pole dances for the first time. We school children loved her; she was the one who brought English writings and poetry to our school. The song “Up my neighbour come away” – was taught us by Eileen for the first time. I still know many tunes of country dances we learned, and can hear her voice singing while telling what to do at the same time. One circle dance went something like: “One – two – three – hop, one – two – three – hop” to the rhythm of the tune. Another circle dance for boys and girls was dancing into the one

The Confrontation Between The Bruderhof And The German National-Socialist Government 1933 to 1937 – Part 11
By Hans Zumpe GHEEL VAN GILDEMEESTER HELPED THREE BROTHERS TO FREEDOM In Holland we got to know Gheel van Gildemeester [a Quaker, Eisenberg noted in the margin] who was a specialist in getting people in all countries released from prison. In Germany there was plenty of work for him, and he had an amazing range of contacts. We engaged him with instructions to do his utmost to get our three brothers released. He set off for Germany straight away. It took some time but he eventually did succeed. We were delighted when we received the following letter from Dr. Eisenberg: “In reference to your letter of the 24 th of June 1937, I can tell you Mr. van Gildemeester has now departed, and assure you with total confidence that your friends will be freed on the 26th of June. Unfortunately I will not be in Hanau that day and will therefore be unable to pick your friends up myself. However, I have organized a vehicle to collect them and take them straight to the “Hotel Frankfurter Hof” in Falkenstein/Taunus. You will be able to contact them there. “With Mr. van Gildemeester‟s agreement I have chosen to remove them from the area immediately, so upon release they do not need to approach the District Administration for travel expenses which would put them at risk of further problems and which we want to avoid. I had expected to be able to give you good news almost daily for the past three weeks. This business has unfortunately been drawn out for far too long.” Even though they had been released they were still at risk, and the danger of the Gestapo taking further action was ever present. However via a rather hazardous route, on the 1 st of July

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

telegram invitation from England. It was high time, as we had to set off before midnight to avoid forfeiting our tickets. So on the 16th of June we were reunited at the Cotswold Bruderhof. During the two months in Holland we found many friends, and again and again received support. So our refugee group left for England much better equipped than when we arrived in Holland with our few meager possessions. We had the impression that it would be worth continuing our publicity work in Holland, as many were thinking about joining us at the time. DISSOLUTION FOLLOWED ON GESTAPO GROUNDS A document addressed to me and imprinted with the stamps of the Reichskulturkammer and Reichsschrifttumskammer [German Chamber of Culture and German Chamber of Literature], dated 6th of August 1937, which reached me at the Almbruderhof indicated that both the Neuwerk-Bruderhof e.V. and the Eberhard Arnold Verlags GmbH, were closed by the Gestapo for their own reasons alone. The President of the German Chamber of Literature in Berlin W.8, reference 111/134.G3c/P, wrote verbatim: “By order of the Secret Police in Kassel on the 9/IV/1937 the Society Neuwerk-Bruderhof e.V. in Veitsteinbach Kreis Fulda is dissolved on State Police grounds in accordance with paragraphs 1-4 of the Decree 28/02/1933 of the Reichspräsident for the Protection of State and People. All assets, including the assets of the Eberhard Arnold Verlag in Bruderhof Neuhof (Fulda), that was the property of the afore named society, have been confiscated. “As leading brother of the society and former manager of the publishing house, you share the responsibility equally with the other board members for the events leading to the confiscation of the assets. Accordingly you no longer meet the requisite trustworthiness to work as a bookseller in accordance with paragraph 10 of the First Decree of the German Chamber of Literature of 1/XI/1933 (RGBl, I S. 797). I therefore herewith expel you from the German Chamber of Literature. You are banned from ever again running a book dealership within the German Reich.”

Arrival of the three released brothers at the Cotswold-Bruderhof 1937 – from left: Martha Braun, Liesbeth Boller, Adolf Braun, Else Boller, Irmgard Keiderling, Hannes Boller, Karl Keiderling, Hermann Arnold, Margrit and Hans Meier (photo: English newspaper)

the three safely crossed the Dutch border, arriving at the Cotswold-Bruderhof on the 3rd of July. We were all united again on the Alm- and Cotswold-Bruderhofs. Not a single individual remained in the power of National Socialist Germany. That is a miracle when you think that the Gestapo was behind all the hostile actions against us. EMIGRATION FROM HOLLAND TO ENGLAND How were our other refugees faring in Holland in the meantime? The larger group from the Rhönbruderhof spent two months as guests of the Mennonites in Bilthoven, and later in Elspeet. We were often visited by reporters who took many pictures. For a while we were the news of the day, but that wore off. The question we faced was how were we going to get to England to join our brothers and sisters on the Cotswold Bruderhof? We had to find a way within two months if we were to make use of the tickets to England we had already booked. Besides, the Dutch police had only agreed to allow us to stay for this interim period. I travelled to the Cotswold Bruderhof, and with two other brothers went to the Home Office in London. There we were informed that a security of 15,000 Gulden was required on entry. So the next task was to acquire the money. When I returned to Holland I received a rather cool reception from the Mennonites. They explained that the help offered for our group was expected to be for a few days only. They needed the house in Bilthoven for a conference. They argued one could raise money more easily in England. Holland does not have all that much money. There were other issues too. We tried to reduce our group a little. Kathleen [Hamilton] and Stanley [Fletcher] being English, could travel straight away. On the 22nd of May another four brothers followed, among them Jan [Fros], who had joined us in Holland. In the meantime we had raised some of the money. Adolf and I, amongst others, spent several weeks criss-crossing Holland raising funds. We had pictures of the three Bruderhofs which we showed and spoke about our communal life. We held such fundraising events in all the larger towns in Holland. In Leiden we were supported by father Fros. It was through this contact that his son Jan came to us. The fundraising was a very enjoyable activity, but it was not very successful until the committee of our friend Dr. Gorter in Rotterdam changed it all: He pressed 10,000 Gulden into our hand, on loan for twenty years. Thereupon, at noon on the 15th of June we received the

The former Rhönbruderhof

(Photo by Erdmuthe Arnold 1981)

AUCTION OF THE RHÖNBRUDERHOF On August 19th we handed a written protest regarding the dissolution of the Bruderhof and the confiscation of our goods by the Gestapo to the German embassy in London. A copy was sent to Adolf Hitler. As expected we did not get a reply. From a newspaper report we learned that the auction of the Rhönbruderhof had taken place on the 29th of September. We learnt how unfairly the proceedings had been dealt with from a report dated the 2nd of October 1937 Dr. Eisenberg sent to Fürst von Schönburg, who had asked him to represent his interests. This last document regarding the fate of our former hof is recorded here in its entirety:

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

NOTES BY THE EDITOR: Hans Zumpe presented a condensed version of this report during meetings in Primavera on 26th and 28th July 1945 for the 25th anniversary of the Bruderhof. While quotes from Eberhard Arnold and newspaper clippings etc. are reproduced verbatim, the Hans Zumpe report has been edited using modern terminology, but eliminating none of the content. More about the history of this account and its translation into English can be found in the “ Introduction to Hans Zumpe‟s Report from 1945” in the Keep In Touch Newsletter No 3 Dec. 2007, page 8, which also contains the first part of this report. Comments in angled brackets [ ] are explanations by the editors. SA: Nazi Sturmabteilung/Braunhemden SS: Nazi Schutz-Staffel/Schwarzhemden

“Your honor! Herewith let me give you a report of the auction held on the 29th of September 1937: “At the auction there were several creditors, representatives of the various institutions, the Farmers Union Leader and other official personnel. Noteworthy was the presence of the assets manager appointed at the time of the confiscation of the property to sort out our affairs. Attorney Weigand from Frankfurt am Main had turned up to represent the board members of the dissolved Bruderhof. He immediately protested against the auction, on the grounds that the board members had not been informed, and had only read about it in the paper a few days ago. He objected to the lack of delivery of information and so on. “After disposing of the formalities, the value of the property was discussed at length. The rateable value is estimated at approximately 51,000 Reichsmark (RM) by the Inland Revenue. The local valuers gave the real estate valuation as between 50,000 and 52,000 RM. According to statuary regulations 7/10 of the value must be offered before the final bid can be accepted. This requirement was introduced for the protection of the creditors. In certain circumstances, when there are no prospects of raising this the judge can of course make an exception and accept a bid of 50 per cent. The District Leader applied for the property value to be reduced to 25,000 RM. He explained that the land was in bad condition, and most importantly the value of the buildings should not be taken into consideration, as buildings are in principle of very little value to a farmer. He argued that he had attempted to make good use of the space for a youth work camp.

But the dimensions of the rooms went against this use. The authorities involved had objected to the use of the rooms, as they did not conform to legal requirements for this purpose. “The civil servant leading the proceedings said he felt inclined to reduce the value to 30,000 RM. I objected to this valuation and ensured that this was put in the records. I also pointed out that it would be to the disadvantage of all the creditors if the auction value was reduced to that extent, as the rateable value is usually already lower than the true value. The bidding then commenced. According to the requirement of current law only those who had the approval of the District Farmers Leader were permitted to bid. Only two of the creditors had asked for and been granted this approval. It was clear from the onset therefore that these creditors were in an advantageous position; they would only bid, or if necessary, outbid their mortgage. That is what happened. There were no bids on the real estate as a whole unit. The individual parts of the Hof were bid on separately, according to the boundaries of the original farms. For the former Wehner farm, the highest bid, 7,600 RM, came from the District of Fulda. For the former Schäfer farm, the highest bid was 3,400 RM from the Kreissparkasse [bank] Fulda. I had asked the judge not

The author of this report and his wife: Hans and EmiMargaret Zumpe after their marriage 1931 to accept the bids in this form, as nothing would be left for the other combined creditors. In particular the former mortgage from Mrs. Arnold [Eberhard Arnold‟s mother], now legally held by Mr. Baader, and also the mortgage I represent, would get nothing from the sale. “Other parties would have liked to have seen the matter resolved on the day of auction. But the judge himself obviously had reservations about accepting the final bid straight away. He fixed a new date for a possible bid on the 20 th of October 1937. For the landed property registered according to paragraph 141 in Veitsteinbach (some woodland and meadows) the proceedings were discontinued, as no bid had been received. “In my view the bids made so far could be refused if it were possible to find an interested party to make a higher bid. I believe that in the current circumstances the judge will not accept the bid. “It is true of course that for a farmer the real estate can only be valued from an agricultural point of view. This valuation cannot be particularly favorable because the property is located on high ground with unfavorable weather conditions. Even if one

Without any sale value at the action: One of the new built houses on the Rhönbruderhof – occupying the laundry, sewing room and living rooms till 1937 (old Bruderhof picture).

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

deducts the value of the buildings, which of course were of great value for the former Bruderhof, the whole farm is in my opinion still worth more than 30,000 RM.” [End of the quote.] That is all that we could find out about the former Rhönbruderhof. The burial ground was bought by a sister of Eberhard Arnold. BY 1938 WE WERE ALL UNITED ON COTSWOLDBRUDERHOF By focusing in detail on our fight with National Socialism, I have been too brief with regard to other historical events of those years. There would be a lot to say about building up our community in England, about the joining of new members, and above all, about the visit of the two Hutterite brothers with whom I visited the towns of their ancestors in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Rumania in 1937. Also, before their return to North America, on the 13th of September, Georg [Barth] and Hardy [Arnold] were appointed as Servants of the Word. The Cotswold Bruderhof was being built up, other farms were leased and added on, and everything arranged in such a way that a community of people of all ages from every nationality and calling could be established with all necessary work departments and the promotional work, particularly writing, in a way which had not been possible in Germany since 1933. A year later we gave up our Almbruderhof voluntarily, in fact it was on the very day that German troops marched into Austria. Now all of us were reunited on the Cotswold Bruderhof.

Finally I want to say how much it has moved me how God had led us through all these years. Whilst during this time there were several problems between us, there was still a very clear spiritual leadership from God. Like a golden thread, this leadership from God runs through our history. Our brotherhood was often weak, I myself made many mistakes in these years during my constant travelling between the three Bruderhofs and Holland. But the community survived, and that was entirely the work of God. That is what I want to testify to today. We have often experienced that faith is the only security. We had to live by our faith. This was of existential significance. Something else was always important to us: Developing a place with the expectation of staying there forever, but at the same time being prepared to leave should a country no longer tolerate us because of our beliefs. This will be important for us in the future too. We do not know what the future will bring. The most important thing is that the communal life is lived within the community, and that we make no concessions to the forces which threaten community life. To capture this time, I find no better summary of our experiences than the song written by Emi-Margret in the darkest weeks in the Rhönbruderhof, and on the birth of our daughter Notburga [on February 27th 1937]. KIT: The song mentioned by Hans Zumpe at the end of his report is published on page 15. Please read also the following introduction by his daughter Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe.

Emi-Margaret Zumpe’s Song, Notburg
By Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe In 1945 my father, Hans Zumpe presented this report at the midday meals in Loma Hoby /Primavera/ Paraguay. Every day he told us part of the story in those difficult years. It was the tenth anniversary of Eberhard Arnold‟s untimely death and the twentyfifth anniversary of the Bruderhof founding in 1920 in Germany. During evening meetings the life of Eberhard was recounted by people who had known him. The report was intended to give Bruderhof-born children and young people insight into the great trouble the community went through after the death of the leader, Eberhard Arnold on November 22nd 1935. The Rhönbruderhof school had been closed by the National Socialist Government and new difficulties turned up daily. All brothers of military age had left Germany because of their conscientious refusal to serve in the armed forces. They left one by one, taking different routes across the German border into Liechtenstein. Only a few men of German nationality like my father, Georg Barth and Karl Keiderling, were asked to stay in Germany, as the work had to continue. It was important to all members to know and find out what the Nazis were up to in regards to the Rhönbruderhof. For them, life had been made impossible; the bank wanted the mortgage paid back. At the same time earning a livelihood from selling products was forbidden, so the farm-work had to be continued. It was a dangerous time for every German child or adult, and the community was constantly aware of it. My father ended his report with a song my mother EmiMargaret Zumpe wrote just after the birth of my sister Notburga (Burgel) February 27th, 1937 in Liechtenstein. (She was born on a cold and windy night, delivered in a freezing Alm-hut by Aunt Moni Barth.) – Marianne Zimmermann composed the tune. I made an effort to translate the poem into English. It is not a word by word translation; but rather a testimony – or a “listen-

Children group with their teachers in front of one of the small cottages on the Almbruderhof. (Six photos contributed by Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe)

ing” to the cry of the young women caught up in the mountains of the Alps, not knowing what the future might hold. They wanted to convince and strengthen each other, by holding on to their faith together and leaving their lives in God's hand. The repeated last line of every verse is: „Er, er ist unsere Zuversicht und sichere Feste.” In English this would be: “He, he is our mighty citadel and our salvation,” but I chose: “He, he is our help and our salvation,” because it is easier to sing those words to the tune.

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

Kindergarten group on the Almbruderhof with Gertrud Braun Wegner from left: Hansli Martin, Bastel and Fränzel Hüssy, Jakop Gneiting, Elisabeth Zumpe, Hanna Martin, Renate Zimmermann, Michael Gneiting, Thomas Klüver, 1937.

Liechtenstein is a Roman Catholic country, and they have their own Saint Notburga. She blesses the cows before they leave their winter quarters in the villages and are driven to the Alm for the summer. She protects people lost in the mountains in the snow or mist, she blesses the cows so they produce more milk and she comforts the sick and the dying. – If translated from German into English, the name Notburga means: Not = “need or misery” and Burg =“fortress”. Also, the flower “Cowslip” found on the alpine meadows is called locally Himmelschlüssel or Burgaschlüssel. The legend tells, that Saint Notburga lost her keys (Schlüssel) to heaven (Himmel) and God converted the keys into Burgaschlüssel, so that unwanted people could not open the golden gate to Heaven. (Read more in Paul Gallicos booklet “Ludmilla.” It gives the story of the Holy Saint Notburga in Liechtenstein and can be found on Google.) During World War II, we were singing the song in the Gemeindestunde, but later it was forgotten. Here is the original song in German, and then my translation.

I think when reading the words of this song one should imagine the situation of young pregnant women and young mothers, high up in the mountains of Liechtenstein, with many small children and babies. Silum was and still is a hotel for use in summer only. The Bruderhof took this as advantage and was able to rent the place for a period of two years. The young fathers were either off selling books or wood turnery in Switzerland, or on a mission (“Werbung”) in Switzerland, Holland and England, to get financial support for the stranded community members. Some brothers were working the garden down in the valley, and walked back and forth every day. Other brothers were trying to get permits to enter England as German refugees, and some were asked to try and find a place in Holland for the Bruderhofer‟s to stay, until permits to England could be had. The community was scattered into five countries – Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Holland and England – which made any form of leadership impossible. There was no private telephone or other means of contact, so every member took personal responsibility for the whole group, which consisted of some 200 persons, children included. Let me name some of the mothers and their children living at Silum in the high mountains of Liechtenstein during those years: Gretel Gneiting, with Jakob and Michel; Marianne Zimmermann, with Renate and Mathilde; Sekunda Kleiner, with Sanna, Treindel and Mathias; Ruth Martin, with Hanna and Hans; Edith Arnold, with Eberhard-Claus and Johannes; Moni Barth, with Klaus, Jörg and Stephan; Katrin Ebner, with Anne; Lotte Klüver, with Thomas, Christel and Konrad; Rosel Kaiser, with Elisabeth, Rosemarie, Leonhard, and her still born baby Daniel; Irmgard Keiderling, with Roland, Peter, Ulrich, Esther, Agnes and Karl Christoph; Trudi Hüssy, with Fränzel, Bastel and David; Gladys Mason, with Jonathan (Jonny boy); Anni Mathis, with Christoph, Peter and Jörg; Margrit Meier, with Klaus, Andreas,Hans Jürg and Daniel; Trautel Dreher, with Tobias, Maidi, Evi, Martha and Josua; Else Boller, with Ursula, Liesbeth, Hans-Uli, Christoph, Elias and Doris; Sophie Löber, with Anne-Bärbel and Christian; and my mother, Emi-Margaret Zumpe, with Heidi, Ben, Elisabeth and Burgel. I apologize if I forgot anyone.

Emi-Margaret Zumpe with Ben, baby Elisabeth and Heidi 1935 __________________________________________________________

KIT Newsletter Financial Report for the year 2010
By Joy MacDonald Three KIT Newsletters were produced in April, September and December of 2010 and sent to 205 subscribers. The total expenses were $586 plus £620. The money was used entirely for producing and mailing the Newsletter – there has never been any reimbursement of associated personal computer and other out-ofpocket costs, and of course no one has costed their time which has always, since the first KIT in August 1989, been freely given. The number of contributors has increased, but is still too low at just 60 per cent of those receiving the Newsletter. However, many who do contribute send more than the recommended subscription, for which many, many thanks. On the final page of each Newsletter we include details of suggested annual contributions and whom to send them to, depending on where you live. It is best if you can convert any non-€uro-currencies before depositing, if at all possible. The total balance as of 31st December 2010 from the three currencies and accounts is about £830 in pounds sterling which is approximately equivalent to $1233 US dollars. Finally, I would like to thank Erdmuthe, Charlie and Linda for producing KIT, and Dave and Linda for printing and global distribution.

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

After the young men fled from Germany to Liechtenstein the youth took the chance to dance

Family day for the Arnolds on the Almbruderhof – from left: Edith, Monika, Heini, Emi-Margaret with Heidi and Hans-Hermann.

German Original by Emi-Margaret Zumpe

Translated by Elisabeth Bohlken-Zumpe

Nur Gott ist unsre Zuversicht,
All anderer Schutz entglitt wie Sand. In bitterer Not das Menschenherz fast bricht, Doch sicher leitet Gottes starke Hand. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

No power protects but God‟s alone.
When anguish seems to break our hearts, And footholds slip away like shifting sand, We trust in God and his leading hand He, he is our help and our salvation.

Ob auch der Feind uns stark bedroht
Und seinen Rachen öffnet weit, Über des Satans List herrscht unser Gott! Er ist die Treue und Wahrhaftigkeit. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

Our God protects us, from all harm.
Where he is not, deceit will reign. Though demons plan destruction of us all, We know our God is powerful and wise. He, he is our help and our salvation.

Tief ist die Not, aus der wir schrei„n.
Weh dem, der Menschenarm vertraut! Ihn stürzen Säulen, feste Häuser ein; Doch unser Grund ist fest auf Gott gebaut. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

Though trouble and grief oppresses us,
We know that we will not succumb. The pressure we could not alone withstand, Unless God leads us firmly by his hand. He, he is our help and our salvation.

Burg und Fels ist nur Gott der Herr,
Der Menschen Beistand ist ohn„ Nutz. Und tobt der Satan in der Welt umher, Er, Gott ist seines Volkes Schild und Schutz. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

Behold, our God will guide us through
All turbulence and all loss and woe. Though our survival seems to be at risk, We will be safe. He‟s our protecting shield. He, he is our help and our salvation.

Und durch Sturm, Wetter, Nacht und Graus
Führt Gott sein Volk mit starker Hand, Er schirmt es in der argen Welt Gebraus, Ob rings die Erd„ in gierigem Hassesbrand. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichre Feste!

Uplifted we hold on to God,
Through tempests wild and darkest nights. He holds us safely in this world of strife, And he protects us, this we always know. He, he is our help and our salvation.

Rings tost das Meer in wilder Gischt,
Doch Gottes Volk ist unverzagt! Und ob auch manches helle Licht verlischt, Die Gottesburg auf hohem Berge ragt. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

Raging seas are all around,
We rest assured in God‟s eternal plan. He gives us strength when night descends on us. We know his Kingdom is high above the skies! He, he is our help and our salvation.

Gott, der Starke, er ist getreu!
Wo Gott nicht herrscht, ist Lug, Verrat. Der Geist der Einheit steh‟ uns kräftig bei! Wir fürchten nichts, weil Gott die Führung hat. Er, Er ist unsere mächt„ge Burg und sichere Feste!

God is mighty, constant and loyal.
Where he is not there is deceit. When he leads there will be no fear. United in God we are able to withstand! He, he is our help and our salvation.

Keep In Touch Newsletter


Vol. XXIII No 1 April 2011

Contact Details for the Volunteers Who Produce Keep In Touch:
Charles Lamar: receives/edits articles, letters, etc; address: c/o HANC, 780 Frederick, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA, Tel: +1-415-386-6072 - Email: Erdmuthe Arnold: receives/edits articles, letters etc. and formats the issue; address: Ostendstraße 22, 60314, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Tel: +49-69-444099 - Email: Linda Jackson: maintains address lists, sends out email newsletters and mails paper newsletters for Europe and the rest of the world (Argentine, Brazil, Paraguay, Australia). Address: 7 Severn Street, Longridge, Lancashire, PR3 3ND. UK. - Tel: (land line) +44(0)1772-784473 or (mobile) +44-(0)7703-133369 - Email: Dave Ostrom: mails US and Canadian paper newsletters; address: 1530 Lydon Court, Clarkston, WA 99403 USA; Email: Your annual contribution for the KIT Newsletter 2011 The suggested annual contribution is US$ 20, UK£ 10, or Euro€ 15 for three issues. The next issue in 2011 is planned for September. Depending on which currency you use, please send your money in North America to Tim Johnson: US $ cash or checks made out to „Tim Johnson‟. Address: 155 Garden Lane, Decatur, GA30030, USA. Tel: +1-404-373-0633; Email: in England to Joy MacDonald: UK£ checks, cash or Bank transfer. Please check details with Joy. In any case, checks should be made out to Joy MacDonald personally, and not to KIT (as Bank rules have changed). Address: Foxglen, Pinemount Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 2LU, UK. Tel: +44-(0)1276-26938. Email: Euros or other currencies to Anthony Lord: Euro € checks, cash or bank transfers. Details for bank transfers: Volksbank BrüggenNettetal EG, BLZ: 31062154, Kontonummer 2201052010, Objektbezeichnung: „KIT‟. From other countries, currencies converted to Euros can also be deposited into the account using: IBAN: DE52 3106 2154 2201 0520 10, or BIC: GENODED1KBN. Address: House of Lords, Johann-Finken-Straße 35, 41334 Nettetal, GERMANY. Email: Email subscribers: Please let Linda Jackson know that you have received the KIT Newsletter ( Also please let her know if you have changed your preferred email address. Addresses – a request for all subscribers: Please let Linda Jackson know of any errors in address, or change of address: 7 Severn Street, Longridge, Lancashire, PR3 3ND, UK. Email: (write or email only please). Also, if you need an enlarged printout of the Newsletter (size A3) please contact Linda. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful