Clyde Heritage Guide

from Glasgow Green to Dumbarton

Clyde Waterfront Atrium Court 50 Waterloo Street Glasgow G2 6HQ www.clydewaterfront.com
SE/3010/Sep11

www.clydewaterfrontheritage.com

cycling. web links and a fold-out map of the area. bus or boat. Renfrewshire Council and West Dunbartonshire Council.com Clyde Waterfront Atrium Court 50 Waterloo Street Glasgow G2 6HQ Welcome This short guide is designed to help you explore the Clyde’s heritage whether you are on foot.000m2 of office. each with information and a location map. Successful regeneration involves linking past and future. social and environmental regeneration from Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton has the potential to deliver: • 50. industrial and leisure space.Over 20-25 years an estimated £5-6 billion of public and private investment will regenerate 20km of the River Clyde. The guide includes travel information. www. opening hours. Glasgow City Council.clydewaterfrontheritage. Information was accurate at the time of going to press in September 2011. landscape. Economic. Since some venues open seasonally we recommend that you check with them before visiting. . rich history and important heritage sites along the river are recognised. Clyde Waterfront is a strategic partnership of the Scottish Government. There is more information on our website.clydewaterfront. Scottish Enterprise.com We hope you enjoy your visit and we would value your comments which can be made on the website. We hope this guide will help visitors and local people to enjoy discovering the area. driving or taking a train.000 new homes • 900. For further information please visit www. There are 12 areas to explore.000 new jobs • 24. retail. The Clyde Waterfront Partnership has developed this guide to ensure that the new developments.

On the Clyde Parts of the Upper Clyde were canalised. Downstream. rising in the Lanarkshire hills. finding a new identity as a recreational. Irvine and Greenock were the main ports. fostered by the Clyde Waterfront Partnership. At Glasgow the river was a shallow estuary with sandbanks and islets known as inches. Merchants had to off-load their cargoes at one of the ports and have them carried upriver on pack horses or in small boats. wrote one of Oliver Cromwell’s excise officers in the mid17th century. Scotstoun and Greenock. From around 1775 small coasters could safely come upstream. ‘Glasgow was checked and kept under by the shallowness of her river. This enabled the huge expansion of Clydeside’s international trade. c1955 Glasgow Docks.The Clyde The River Clyde has always played an important role in the history of Glasgow. As engineers made the river more navigable. Terminal decline set in during the 1960s with only a few shipbuilding yards now remaining at Govan. It is often said. The Clyde is a short river. Dumbarton. Clyde shipbuilding played a vital role during the early 20th century. John Golborne and Thomas Telford. Tug pulling a liner. devised ways of deepening the river. The tobacco and sugar trade expanded rapidly between 1707 and 1800. From 1818 foreign trading vessels could dock at the Broomielaw. with Port Glasgow established by Glasgow merchants in 1662. in deep water. every day more and more filling [silting] up’. residential and business area. especially during the First and Second World Wars. 1926 . Glasgow made the Clyde and the Clyde made Glasgow. Upstream it flows swiftly with spectacular stretches such as the Falls of Clyde near Lanark. There was increasing pressure from the ‘tobacco lairds’ to deepen the river so bigger vessels could dock in Glasgow itself. They used dykes to channel the natural scouring power of the water. shipbuilding and engineering throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries. including James Smeaton. little more than 100 miles long. the citys commerce and industries flourished. Now the Clyde is experiencing massive regeneration. Dredgers and blasting continued to deepen the Clyde to accommodate ever larger ships. A succession of brilliant engineers.

when it lost the top 20 feet of the column (since restored). Nelson Monument 4.LTM AR K TUR NB UL L TR E CHAR LOTT E 01 Glasgow Green Glasgow Green is one of the most ancient public parks in Scotland. The McLennan Arch 3. designed by Scots architects Robert and James Adam. There is plenty to see. People’s Palace and Winter Gardens QwZz Z CAFE/SHOP Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION The present layout of Glasgow Green dates from 1817-26 when the ground was levelled and the risk of flooding on the Lower Green (Fleshers’ Haugh) reduced.com Templeton’s Carpet Factory AR ST CADI RE A ET ET CO MM ER CIA LR OA D ST RE RO AD TOB 3 4 RO W AG O N GR EI TH O EE NT N Glasgow Green MO LO SO N STR ND S TR EE C 2 S TE STR EE T OR 1 LAYTHOR N EE E ND Y KE BA N P K GRE IN S MILL T AVE STR MON C STRE UR ET ROA D Glasgow Green . It has been used as a washing. Glasgow Humane Society 7. Sensationally. In 1450 James II gave the land to the Bishop of Glasgow for public grazing. The McLennan Arch acts as a grand gateway to the Green. ET e EGATE BRIDG RO STRESS ET KENT ST ET RO AD STRE ST R N MON ST R C UR EE T GALLO MILLR O STREE AD T M SA C LA Y TH VEN BA LL AT Ri ve r ER Cl yd e 7 5 CR ST OWN RE ET WA DD EL L RU O TH LD RO ERG AD LE ER ST RE ET BA LL AT 6 Suspension Bridge N ST 1. is the home of the Glasgow Humane Society which has been rescuing people from the river since 1790.glasgowmuseums. You can explore other aspects of Glasgow life in the displays and collections of the People’s Palace and Winter Gardens (1893-98). The figures on the magnificent terracotta Doulton Fountain Nelson Monument Doulton Fountain People’s Palace. Doulton Fountain 5. as a rallying point for Jacobite troops in 1745. GLASGOW GREEN TRAILS www. Templeton’s Carpet Factory 6.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Heritage GLASGOW MUSEUMS www. 1910 represent the world-wide dominion of Queen Victoria’s Empire. At the far end of the Green. erected in 1806. designed by William Stark and rebuilt in 1913. it was struck by lightning in August 1810. only a year after the battle of Trafalgar. Over many centuries it provided a welcome escape from the crowded tenements of the old town. a site of public executions until 1865. The obelisk beyond is the Nelson Monument. Both date from 1888. near St Andrew’s Suspension Bridge. bleaching and drying area by local people. Eventually it became a public space protected by the city fathers. It was originally part of the entrance to the City’s late 18th century Assembly Rooms. The multi-coloured facade of Templeton’s Carpet Factory was designed by William Leiper in imitation of the Doge’s Palace in Venice.glasgow. and for political rallies and public festivals. At the western end stands the Greek revival Justiciary Courthouse (1807-14). Justiciary Courthouse 2.gov.

café and studios.com CLYDE BRIDGES TRAIL www.gov. The present much larger sandstone structure. soon replaced by a handsome eightarched stone bridge built at the instigation of Bishop Rae in 1345. Bishop Rae’s Bridge tenements. The trading communities were clustered near the river with Glasgow Cathedral and the College (later University) further uphill.glasgow. Following decline in the late 20th century the Merchant City has been revitalised and many old buildings refurbished. For 400 years. Victoria Bridge 2.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Heritage STRE Bridge Street T ET STREET MMERCE TRADES NOR FOL K ST COBU RG ST SO U PO TH R RO TLAN AD D NELS RLT ON OXF OR 3 PLAC D E ST SA STREET CA 1 GRE EN TUR N LEY ROAD Suspension Bridge EGATE BRIDG 2 LTM AR KE T ST EE T KING Broomielaw-Tradeston Bridge CL YD E HO WA RD OS BO R NE ST R STR E ET STRE ET BROOMIELAW Argyle Street TRONGA TE ALBIO N 02 Victoria Bridge and the Merchant City 1851-4 LE JAMES WATT STREET STREE T OSWALD STREET ROBERTSON STREET QUEE CRIMEA STREET ARGYLE STREET CAND LERIG GS Central Station BUCHAN A N STRE E MILL STRE MITC STREET VIRGIN IA STRE GLASSF ET ORD ST REE HUTCHE SON ST REET BRUNSW ICK ST ARGY M RA REET WILS STR ON EET BELL S Victoria Bridge and the Merchant City 1851-4 . STOCKW EL STREET L PLACE BRIDG E STR EET R IVE RVIEW G A RD E NS CLYDE RE ET STREET ON PATERS ON ST ST STREET TON LACE STREET ON S T NTRE EET 1. Saltmarket and the High Street were main streets in medieval Glasgow.BROWN STREET YORK STREET JAMAIC A STREE T CARRICK STREET St Enoch HOW ARD ST A late 13th century wooden structure on this site was Glasgow’s first bridge. This new area of a few streets and squares was known as Laurieston after the Laurie brothers who developed it but went broke in the process. at The Briggait. The ship on a globe at its apex refers to its origins as part of the Merchants’ House and hospital. is faced with Irish granite from Dun Laoghaire. Well into the 19th century this remained the city centre. The area was largely rebuilt in the late 19th century as the city expanded west and south. The grand classical facade on Clyde Street features two triumphal arch gateways topped by sculpted seahorses flanking medallion portraits of Queen Victoria. On the south bank is the area known as the Gorbals. with several rebuildings and widening—notably by Thomas Telford in 1821—Bishop’s Bridge was the lowest bridge crossing of the Clyde. It was still quite villagelike until the late 18th century when new urban areas were developed. MERCHANT CITY ATTRACTIONS www. Carlton Place Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION Bridgegate. 19th Century Nearby. In medieval times it was known as Little Govan and Bridgend after the 1345 bridge. the Victorian fish market has been renovated and converted to offices.merchantcityglasgow. The Georgian terraces of Carlton Place are a good example. Soaring above its roof is the 1655 Merchants’ Steeple. designed by the London firm of James Walker. The Briggait & Merchant’s Steeple 3. There has now been massive investment in new development in the Gorbals. Stately shopping streets and the wealthy homes of ‘tobacco lairds’ contrasted with appalling overcrowding in unhealthy Briggait Fish Market Gorbals Main Street.

The Trust. brought city fathers. www. The Trust Building was designed by Glasgow architect J. The number of steamer routes meant affluent business people could commute. By the 1770s. and Rothesay on the Isle of Bute. In earlier times the river was very shallow here.francisfrith. A ford was removed in the mid-16th century to enable boats to reach the waterfront. working in Glasgow during the week and joining their families at their country villas for the weekend. UNION STREET The Broomielaw . below. are by Albert Hodge (1908). established by Act of Parliament in 1858. WASHINGTON STREET ARGY CRIMEA STREET CARRICK STREET LE BROWN STREET JAMES WATT STREET HYDEPARK STREE YORK STREET T OSWALD STREET ROBERTSON STREET M8 W JAMAIC A STREE T ARGYLE STREET St Enoch HOW ARD ST BROOMIELAW Broomielaw-Tradeston Bridge RIVERVI DRIV E W E 1 CL YD E PLACE HO WA R RIDGE STRE ET R IVE RVIEW G A RD E NS CLYDE ST RE ET PATERS ON ST AD 1. Clyde Navigation Trust Building Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION © The Francis Frith Collection. The Waverley is now the only surviving Clyde paddle steamer. the river steamers moved to the south bank. Burnet (1882-86. extended 1905-8) in an Italianate Baroque style. shipbuilders. Clyde Navigation Trust Building The Broomielaw. 1897 ND NELS STREET WEST PAISLEY ROAD MOR RISO N S T 20 Suspension Bridge RLT ON OXF P LA OR CE D ST RG STREET CA ON QUEE Central Station BUCHAN AN N STRE ET HOLM MITCHE LL ST 03 The Broomielaw S STREET Footbridge O STREET WELLIN GTON GORDON Office STREET STREET ROYAL EXCHAN GE SQUARE WATERLO S R The Broomielaw A new S-shaped pedestrian bridge – known as ‘the squiggly bridge’ . The most spectacular landmark is the domed Clyde Navigation Trust Building (now The Clydeport Building). merchants and industrialists together to develop and manage the river and its trade. J. as the river became more navigable. coasters and small sea-going vessels docked here. Classical figures of Demeter Leading a Bull and Amphitrite with Seahorses and.was opened in 2009. connecting the Broomielaw with Tradeston on the south bank. James Watt and Henry Bell. At first it received barges and river boats with their shallow draft.com After the opening of the George V Bridge in 1928. Passengers boarded one of the elegant paddle steamers heading for coastal resorts such as Largs or Dunoon. During the next 300 years a quay was constructed and gradually extended to take more traffic.WEST CA HOPE Anderston WHITEHALL STREET STREET CADOGA N STREET STREET The Broomielaw is most famous as the place where thousands of Glaswegians boarded steamers to go ‘doon the watter’ for a daytrip or seaside holiday. statues of Thomas Telford. Facade decoration by local sculptor John Mossman shows Father Clyde Enthroned and figures of seagods Poseidon and Triton. The interior is equally impressive and is occasionally accessible on Doors Open Days.

linked by Bell’s Bridge. Rotunda 1896 Tall Ship FINNIEST ON VICAR FIEL D IR ST RO Millennium Bridge STREET 3 EXP RES SW AY MINERVA STREET A814 CLYDE SIDE MINERVA WAY RVA MINE ET STRE ST RE ET HO U NAPIER GOVAN ROAD Exhibition Centre DR IVE Queen’s Dock and Yorkhill Quay . This iconic building designed by Zaha Hadid is the new home for Glasgow’s much loved transport collection. 2000) now stand on the site of Queen’s Dock where Glasgow companies traded an enormous variety of goods around the world. on Yorkhill Quay. Later she was converted into a sail training vessel for the Spanish navy. Hydraulic Pumping Station 4. is the Italianate Hydraulic Pumping Station (1877-78) which powered a swing bridge over the dock entrance and cranes on the quay. Finnieston Crane 3. The barque Glenlee is one of only five surviving Clydebuilt sailing vessels. The Finnieston Crane (also known as the Stobcross Crane) is the largest of the hammerhead cranes. Finnieston Crane Riverside Museum At the other end of the site. Together these attractions are a must see for residents and visitors in the city. R PL YORKHILL PARADE DE RB YS TR KELVIN GROV E YORKHILL LUMSDEN OVERNEWTO N ST AD RO ST RE ET ET ST RE ET S E ST CLAREMONT E ID EX CRESCENT YAL RO N LYMBUR STREET E PR 5 CARFRAE ST GILBERT STREET H UG HA SS AY W EA S 4 TV AL E H HAUG KELVIN ET STRE ST T VINCEN AR GY LE CR ES C T EN PL A CE Footbridge STO BC WY ROSS ND VAN RKN EY ST NEP TUN E ST SO UT HC RO FT ST GO VAN STA G RO AD CLYD EBR AE ST STRE ET GO Footbridge WEST GREENH PLACE ILL AD KINTR A ST SMU STR EE T Bell’s Bridge RA ST STR EET MER RYL SUM AND MER ST TOW COLU N MBA ROA ST D DUN 2 1 Clyde Arc E RIV 1. wrote a commentator in 1901. it was erected in 1931 especially to load huge locomotives. The SECC (1984) and Clyde Auditorium (Norman Foster. It is still in working order. of which four remain along the river. a major export and Glasgow’s second most important engineering industry. A pair of red brick. domed Rotundas mark an earlier crossing by the Glasgow Harbour Tunnels (1890-96) which carried horse-drawn and pedestrian traffic between the Queen’s and Prince’s Docks.GR A ES SANDYF OR STREET D 04 Queen’s Dock and Yorkhill Quay Some of Glasgow’s most notable modern landmarks face each other across the river here. North Rotunda 2. the Millennium Bridge and the Clyde Arc. The Riverside Museum is Scotland’s new museum of transport and travel. You can see a good model of the area nearby in the Crowne Plaza Hotel (mezzanine). which opened in June 2011. At the junction with the River Kelvin. Inside the Rotundas hydraulic lifts carried the vehicles to and from the tunnel below. Berthed alongside the Museum is The Tall Ship. The land they are built on is reclaimed dock yards. The Tall Ship QzwSZ 5. She was launched in 1896 as a bulk cargo carrier. Riverside Museum QzwSZ Z CAFE/SHOP Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION ‘You will find few types of the British mercantile marine amissing’. The last to be built.

2007). a production and media base for the burgeoning Scottish film industry. on Govan Road.‘a helluva bashin’ noise. The relief decorations of the Four Winds on its tower contrast with the prosaic function of the station . www. A new digital media quarter is being developed at Pacific Quay. last of the sea-going paddle-steamers. Govan Town Hall 7. Bell’s Bridge was constructed for the 1988 Glasgow Garden Festival which took place on this newly filled dock site. Glasgow Tower 3. not far from the derelict Graving Docks. as there is a daily service to the Highlands and Islands from March to October. the river had been the city’s visibly beating heart. At the edge of the dock.waverleyexcursions.MINERVA STRE STO BC WY ROSS ND Footbridge Once busy with shipping and commerce. Along with the memorable European Year of Culture in 1990 it helped restore the hopes of local people lamenting the loss of industries that were a way of life. you can often see and sail on the Waverley. Science Centre 2. Hydraulic Pumping Station Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION R OA D G QwZz 5. have brought new life to the former Prince’s Dock as a digital media quarter. WEST GREENH PLACE ILL AD 2 1 Bell’s Bridge 3 4 IVE DR ROAD 6 TREE T 7 Clyde Arc IFIC PAC MAVI S GO VA N BANK FINNIESTO N RO 5 GOVAN Millennium Bridge G A RD EN STREET S 05 Prince’s Dock DE E XPR ESS WA Y HO Exhibition Centre ULD 1. the Prince’s Dock area is now a symbol of regeneration for Glasgow and the Clyde.uk . South Rotunda QwZz Now the Glasgow Science Centre. Govan graving dock. IMAX cinema and the BBC Headquarters (David Chipperfield. Built in 1947 she replaced the original Waverley which sank off Dunkirk in 1940. parts of which can be visited.co. You may also spot a seaplane. Here. just outside the Science Centre on Plantation Quay. Waverley Hydraulic Pumping Station With incessant river and quayside traffic. She cruises with her sister ship Balmoral all round Britain during the summer but with Glasgow as her home port. is an ornate Hydraulic Pumping Station. massed cranes and hordes of workers. It is now Film City. This was one of the first steps in the regeneration of the Clyde. the former Govan Town Hall (1897-1901) with its French neo-classical decoration asserts Govan’s self confidence at the height of its prosperity. 1898 The Clyde Arc Prince’s Dock WAVERLEY AND BALMORAL SAILINGS. Imax Cinema 4. In 2003 she was restored to her 1940s style and condition. Graving Docks 6. Locals would hardly notice the so-called Clyde symphony . At the south-east corner of the site. facing Govan Road.to power the cranes that lined the dockside.

It is home to some of the most important early Christian carvings in Scotland. Fairfield’s Offices 3. the dynamic manager of Fairfield’s. stands opposite the Pearce Institute. Elder Park was established in 1885 by Mrs Isabella Elder as a monument to her shipbuilder husband. R. Sir William Pearce.000. Pearce Institute Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION They include five hogbacked. Elder Park 4. taking the design of the traditional Scottish town house as his inspiration. by Victorian sculptor. Govan Old Parish Church 2. with BAE Systems building vessels for the Royal Navy. Sir J. The early 19th century population of about 2. carved tombstones. Fairfield’s offices survive and the yard is still in use. but with the shipbuilding came urbanisation. The stones can be seen inside the Victorian Gothic Revival church (1883-8 by Robert Rowand Anderson). Fairfield’s became the biggest shipyard in the world with a labour force of 5. E. and an elaborately carved stone coffin known as The Govan Sarcophagus. R. ELDER ST 2 GOVAN ROAD RATHLIN 1 WA TE GOV AN EA S 4 RO AD R W RO TV AL E PL A CE Footbridge 3 LANGLANDS RD GARTMOUTH ST FAIRFIELD ST Govan GOLSPIE N APIER PL GO HARHILL NAPIER VAN ORK NEY ST NEP TUN E ST ET ROW ST RO AD CLYD EBR AE S T ELDER ST STREET STRE ONY ET SO UT HC RO FT ST ROAD STRE HARM TD ELDERP ARK R GO VAN RO AD HELE KINTR A ST D N R OA SMU CROS SLOA N RO AD BRO OMLOA VICA RFIE LD IR ST N N STR EE T GOVAN IGIE IGTO BRA E OPLA ND TER RAC E CRA COL UMB A DUN CRA MER RYL SUM AND MER ST TOW N RO STA G ST REET 1. The striped redbrick and cream stone interior and the stained glass are also well worth exploring. it is best known as a centre for shipbuilding in the 19th and 20th centuries. once quite separate from and more important than Glasgow. John Elder. Archaeological evidence and the heart-shaped churchyard around Govan Old Church show there was a church and burial ground here as early as 600-800AD. She wanted to give the people of Govan ‘healthful recreation by music and amusement’. which reflect Viking influence. Anderson also designed the Institute. stands beside one of the compound engines that underpinned Fairfield’s success.000 rose to 9.000 in 1864 and nearly 60.000 by the mid 1880s. Fairfield’s offices Ambitious public buildings and statues reflect the wealth of the community and occasional benevolence of the employers. Isabella Ure (Mrs Elder) is depicted dressed in academic robes by Scottish sculptor Archibald Shannan (1906). However. Govan remained a village of thatched cottages until well into the 19th century. Statues of husband and wife can be seen in the park. sculpted by Onslow Ford (1894). Boehm sculpture unveiled Hog-backed tombstone Pearce Institute DR STREET SANDYF OR STREET D EX E PR SS AY W G SHAW ST A8 IVE ROB ER LOA N BA NK R Govan . Numerous carved tombstones dating from 9001100 have been found. Boehm (1888).DE SI 06 Govan Govan is an ancient settlement.

Clyde View Park 3. David Annand and local school children. Opposite. Sculpture at Clyde View Park NF RE W M8 M8 Braehead Scotstoun shipyard . It had an open entrance for the benefit of increasingly large vessels. on the north bank. Later this became Harland & Wolff’s Diesel Engine Works. though it can only be seen from the north bank. 1957 Further docks were planned alongside it but the depressed conditions of the 1930s and then post-war changes in trade meant they came to nothing. Beyond these. Harland & Wolff 5. To the west are the massive grey early 20th century engineering sheds.RO AD RR 5 KIN G’S IN CH RO AD Today Braehead is primarily associated with shopping and leisure. and continue on to the Pudzeoch Basin. Braehead Centre 2. was the Scotstoun yard of Charles Connell & Co. you can see the working Scotstoun shipbuilding yard established by Sir Alfred Yarrow in 1906 and now operated by BVT Surface Fleet. King George V Dock Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION King George V Dock. the last major dock to be developed on the Clyde. It was constructed in 1931. founded in 1861 but which closed in 1971. Turning left you can follow the path along the waterfront into Clyde View Park with its modern sculptures by Kenny Munro. There is now a riverside walkway at the back of the museum. FE 2 MA CD ON AL D RO AD A8 1 4 Y DU MB AR TO N QU EE 07 Braehead A8 IN er S T R E ET G’S IN CH Cly 6 de AU LTO ND R N VICTOR Riv K N RD RD AU LT ON 7 87 A G 4 SO UT H H G LE ST DR I H BE RE A814 A8 14 STR EET ET 1 A8 OLD GOV AN ROAD ST VIC RE ET AD SO UT KING’S INCH RO D H ST OA SA ND Y AN PA DE RK R GL AS RE ET GO DRIV E KIN G’S IN C H W Riv M AY O RO AD er AV Cly de ENUE RO A D DRIVE PARK A8 DEAN RE NF RE W 3 RE N RO AD 26 AN LO 26 A7 3 6 RD FRE W RO AD R S KE L COC 1. originally set up to manufacture heavy gun mountings for naval warships. The King George V Dock survives as a working dock at the east end of the site. Scotstoun Yard 6. commemorating the area’s history. but the shipbuilding history of the area is still apparent. Xscape QwZz QwZz 4.

There was also a continuous towpath from here right up to the Broomielaw to help draw vessels upstream as there was little wind on this stretch of the river. in the middle. but also in Africa. 3 Renfrew Golf Club FIS HE RS RO AD Riv er C lyde ME AD OW SID E ST RE ET 2 ROA D 1 art Wa ter AVENUE Wh ite C ARGYLL BE LL NA N ST A8 INCHIN R OAD RO KIRKLANDN EUK ROAD A AD 1. livestock and goods. Nearby.nsf/content/pt-clwalksinformation Ferry Inn Renfrew Ferry FE 4 5 RR Y NORTH E DG LO FU LB A ROAD k ac Bl er at W rt Ca MP BE LL FERRY ST AD RO RD HA RC OD O R D ST KIN G’S CA W THS BLY O ST R A 87 7 Renfrew . past the still working Inchinnan Road bascule bridge and back through the town. Inchinnan Road Bascule Bridge 5. A 6km ‘Renfrew and the Clyde’ route leads you on a circular walk along the river.08 Renfrew The ancient royal burgh of Renfrew lies between the White Cart and the Clyde. The house on the south side is now the Ferry Inn. Simons and Lobnitz yard. Nowadays their basin serves a yard exporting scrap metal. the engines from the paddle tug. In addition to all the people crossing – shipyard workers. church goers – there were steamers plying up and downstream. pausing to take on and discharge passengers.renfrewshire. which worked the river from 1861 to 1912. By the 1830s this was a very busy spot indeed with the ferry operating round the clock. The Renfrew Community Museum hosts displays depicting the rich history of the area and of the people who lived there. RENFREWSHIRE TRAILS www. Ferry Inn 3. up the White Cart. or islets. Renfrew-Yoker Ferry 2. Renfrew Castle (where James III of Scotland spent some time) once stood on King’s Inch but the islet was gradually absorbed into Renfrew as the waterway silted up and the rest of the river was made navigable. most famously. India and.uk/ilwwcm/publishing.gov. just downstream from the Ferry Inn. Clyde. the Panama Canal. children going to and from school. Inchinnan Road bascule bridge The vehicle ferry continued to be a major crossing point until it was superseded by the Clyde Tunnel and Erskine Bridge. Renfrew Community Museum Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION By the 1790s the site of the Renfrew-Yoker Ferry Clyde crossing was established with ferry houses on both sides of the river. Simons and Lobnitz Yard 4. Shipbuilding and engineering developed here in the mid19th century. Back in the 12th century the Clyde ran right up to Renfrew with ‘inches’. specialised in dredgers and hopper barges which helped navigation and waterway maintenance projects not only on the Clyde. are installed.

During the First World War it became the Princess Louise Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers.nsf/content/pt-clwalksinformation Erskine House (Mar Hall) India of Inchinnan A8014 BA RT ON Singer OWIE KILB RD A8 98 26 A7 SOUTHBAR RO AD Erskine Newshot Island . Crossing Ferry Road and continuing through stone gateposts you enter Erskine Park. Erskine Riverfront Walkway 3. its name recalling the estate’s former ownership by the Earl of Mar. named to commemorate the airships built on this site during the First World War. Downstream. RENFREWSHIRE TRAILS www. you pass one of the finest Art Deco buildings in Scotland. You can walk along the banks of the Clyde using the ‘Erskine and the Clyde’ trail. a former island which became part of the mainland around 1800. It is now the 5 star Mar Hall Hotel. Erskine (grid ref. Going from Renfrew to Erskine along the A8. India of Inchinnan Building 2. 4 Dalmuir A8 14 2 DU M M898 RO AD 3 M8 A8 GREENOCK 1 ROAD 1.gov. designed by Sir Robert Smirke. the architect of the British Museum. Newshot Island. Follow the Erskine Riverfront Walkway signpost from the car park off Kilpatrick Drive. the former Ferry Lodge marks the spot where for over 200 years the Erskine chain ferry ran. Upstream. R34. The India of Inchinnan Building dates from 1930 when it was designed by Thomas Wallis (whose firm also designed the famous Hoover factory in west London) for India Tyres. the grounds surrounding Erskine House (1828-45). Mar Hall (Erskine House) Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION The India of Inchinnan building has recently been restored and now houses a technology company and a restaurant. Newshot Island 4. just before the Erskine Bridge. Now it is an ideal place to enjoy a walk along the banks of the Clyde.09 Erskine Even before the Erskine Bridge was built.uk/ilwwcm/publishing. the chain ferry meant that this was an important crossing point. NS 470708). A Nature Reserve is planned here. over the Inchinnan bascule bridge. provides an important winter habitat for waterfowl.renfrewshire.

Singer’s was in its day the largest sewing-machine factory in the world. From the vantage point of the crane you can see the remains of the slips where the Lusitania (1906).info/arts-culture-and-libraries/cultural-services  Because of the crucial wartime role of its Blitz damage with Singer tower Titan Crane . is an apt symbol of Clydebank’s shipbuilding fame and resilience. The name lives on in the railway station and a café/bar. the town and the Singer sewing machine factory with its famous clock tower. the royal yacht Britannia (1953) and the Queen Elizabeth II (1967) were launched. The handsome 1902 Town Hall . Forth and Clyde Canal Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION Completed in 1907. Titan Crane QwZzS QS 2. HMS Hood (1918). Queen Elizabeth (1938). were badly damaged with over 500 killed and over 600 injured. Its 150-ton capacity. was capable of lifting the heaviest boilers and gun mountings into newly built ships.wdcweb. Clydebank suffered more in the Blitz than any other town in Scotland. This reflected the importance of an invention that benefited millions of women who previously had to sew everything from sheets to shirts by hand. You can now enjoy a panoramic view of Clydeside from the top of the Titan Crane. Without the extra space created by the mouth of the River Cart opposite there would not have been enough room to launch these great ships. houses the Clydebank Museum. Queen Mary on the stocks shipbuilders.14 DU L ARGYL RO AD The John Brown shipyard at Clydebank was perhaps the most famous of all the Clyde shipbuilders. Relatively little harm was done to the intended targets. It was heavily bombed on 13-14 March 1941. The hammerhead crane. best known as a railway station designer. designed by James Millar. this was the first of the four surviving cantilever cranes on the Clyde. Here you can see changing displays of the history of the area. later increased to support the war effort. Both large liners and warships have been launched here. whisks you up to the engine house and an exhibition. rather than the endless stairs the crane operators used. 3 M BA RT O N RO AD A8014 ROAD 10 Clydebank CA BL E DE PO T A8 KILB NU E LIVINGST 2 ARG YLL ROAD RD STANFO STREET Clydebank RS ME AL CH STR EET DE AN BA RN S ST RE ET ST RE ET AB ER CO NW AY 4 81 A 1 G LA SG O W RO AD ST R ST RE ET Y CL DE 1. However. The crane has been restored through Clydebank re-built which is fostering major regeneration of the area. Clydebank CLYDEBANK HERITAGE TRAIL www. A lift. overlooking the fitting-out basin. Queen Mary (1934). Town Hall & Clydebank Museum 3.

an obelisk erected in 1838.wdcweb. canal. A814 DUMBARTON A814 3 4 2 5 DUM BAR TON A82 AD RO PO RTP ATR I CK GREA T WE ST ER N 1 RO AD BA RT O N 7 ROAD A8 14 DUM 6 ROAD A8 98 1. University of Glasgow). just by the Georgian Custom House and the two curving stone steps which mark the original size of the harbour basin is the sea lock through which the Forth and Clyde Canal meets the Firth of Clyde. John Golborne. Roman Fort & Bath House Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION Altar to Jupiter. constructed between 142-144 AD. Beyond them is the Lang Dyke. Bowling Harbour. following major restoration) you can cycle or walk east 35 miles all the way to Grangemouth on the Firth of Forth. a long artificial jetty.11 Old Kilpatrick and Bowling Harbour A82 GREAT WEST ERN ROA D RO AD Old Kilpatrick marks the western end of the Antonine Wall which the Romans built across central Scotland. Custom House 6. Bowling is the western end of the Forth and Clyde Canal. with panoramic views of the Clyde. A Roman fort and bath house (no longer visible) marked the western terminus of the Antonine Wall. constructed to scour out a deeper channel. The Clydebank to Bowling section of the towpath is also part of the scenic Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle route and of NCN7.info/arts-culture-and-libraries/cultural-services  . Henry Bell Monument Old Kilpatrick and Bowling Harbour OLD KILPATRICK.west route until the coming of the railway in 1850. BOWLING & MILTON HERITAGE TRAILS www. The Antonine Wall gained World Heritage Site status in 2008. Lang Dyke 5. where many Clyde pleasure steamers wintered. From here (and from many wellsignposted points along its course. The canal was constructed between 1768 and 1790 and was the main east . As you leave Bowling Harbour notice how the narrowness of the riverside site forces river. have come to light as well as an altar to Jupiter (now displayed in the Hunterian Museum. Hunterian Museum Carved marker stones. Bowling Harbour Basin At the harbour basin. it provided the first regular steamship service on the Clyde. Similarly. is a pleasant spot for a picnic. Bowling Harbour 3. Looking downstream on the right bank. recording the work of the legionaries who built the wall. In mid-river a line of buoys marks the deep water channel. which the brilliant 18th century engineer. two railway lines and road side by side. Henry Bell Monument 4. At the upper level the hydraulic swing bridge carried the Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway. Forth and Clyde Canal 7. is the Monument to Henry Bell who designed the paddle-steamer Comet. Launched at Port Glasgow in 1812. Antonine Wall 2.

in 1568. with the volcanic mass of Dumbarton Rock to defend it.info/arts-culture-and-libraries/cultural-services WEST BR IDG EE ND IR L IN G UIE MB DU A 81 ST 4 STR L ATH EV CR OS S LE T RO AD GL RO AS GO AV E WO OD YA RD RD H HI G NU W E HA UT CL AL 4 CLYDESHO RE STRE ET CASTLE ST 3 2 ROA D Dumbarton East GR EE AV NH D EA RO CAS TLE GRE EN ST Dumbarton . now under restoration in Greenwich. Theirs were not the only ships famed for their speed. Glencairn Greit House 2. with Port Glasgow and Greenock. was also built in Dumbarton. Dumbarton Central GH BANKEND STATION RO AD ROAD S TREET E ME RD B EA D RD ST EN BRIDGE CHUR CH WAL LAC E S T VIC TOR IA ST 1 1. and at the highest natural navigable point of the Clyde. This innovative company built the world’s first turbine steamer in 1901. Denny’s Shipyard Experiment Tank (part of the Scottish Maritime Museum and recently renovated) to refine the design of its hulls.TOW PL AC 12 Dumbarton This site has always been strategically important. It lies at the junction of the River Leven and the Clyde. Ship Model Experiment Tank Zz Zz Q DISABLED ACCESS w TOILETS (WC) Z CAFE/SHOP z PARKING S RAILWAY STATION r SUBWAY STATION The five year-old Mary Queen of Scots embarked for exile in France in 1548. was sited just below the Rock at the mouth of the Leven. Denny’s was the first commercial yard to use a Ship Model. Parish Church 4. Looking up the High Street towards the handsome facade and spire of the 1811 Parish Church you can still get a sense of the town’s historic character from the upper facades of the High Street shops. just south of Glasgow. the principal trading port until navigation improvements in the Clyde enabled Glasgow to establish commercial and trading supremacy. the most famous Dumbarton yard. The Castle was the main naval base for the Scottish kings in their ongoing struggle to control the Highland and Hebridean chieftains. From the 13th century it was a royal burgh. built in 1623 as the town house of the Earls of Glencairn. Dumbarton was. She and her army were marching here when they were defeated at the Battle of Langside. Denny’s. Ship Model Experiment Tank Dumbarton Rock & Castle CAS TLE RO AD Parish Church DUMBARTON HERITAGE TRAIL www. On the right is the Glencairn Greit House.wdcweb. Dumbarton Rock & Castle 3. There was shipbuilding along the River Leven probably as early as the 15th century. leading to her flight to England. Dumbarton was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Strathclyde until 1018 and suffered Viking attack in 870. Over 1500 ships were built there between 1844 and its closure in 1963. The tea clipper Cutty Sark.

00pm. QwzZSr Road: M8.scottishmaritimemuseum. daily 9.com Seaforce Powerboat rides on the Clyde 0141 221 1070 (Base by Tall Ship). GENERAL ACCESS INFORMATION Correct when going to press.renfrewshire.00am-1. 61. West Dunbartonshire Council.com March to October daily 10.lochlomondseaplanes. .com March to October bookings only Queen’s Dock and Yorkhill Quay Riverside Museum 0141 287 2720 100 Pointhouse Place Glasgow G3 8RF Open Monday-Thursday and Saturday 10am-5pm Friday and Sunday – 11am-5pm www. cinema. Friday and Sunday 11. Free parking Bus: numerous bus and coach services Stop at the bus station at Braehead. jcts. Thursday.00pm-5. Q Rail: Clydebank Central or Singer Station Glasgow Green People’s Palace and Winter Gardens 0141 276 0788 Monday to Thursday and Saturday 10. Saturday 1. Bowling and Clydebank Forth and Clyde Canal Cycling: www.gov.00pm. 2.00pm. Bowling & Milton http://www.firstgroup. and 263 all stop near Glasgow Green.00pm.uk Late March to 30 September. 40. turn towards river down Cart Street to Purser’s Office CREDITS Commissioned by Clyde Waterfront Written by Evelyn Silber Designed by Wright Design Printed by Océ (UK) Ltd We thank the planning. Admission charge.CONTACT DETAILS Travel Information Rail: www. River Leven. library.00pm-4.com ‘Classroom on the Clyde’ schools and groups. z Rail: Dumbarton East.com Renfrew Renfrew Community Museum (Opening late 2011) 0141 886 3149 www.com/canals-andrivers/forth-and-clyde-canal/cycling Walking: www.clydeclippers. 2-hour return trips from SECC to Clydebank. rock climbing hours.00am-4.co.30am-5. QwZz Subway: 15mins. QwzZS Road: M8.glasgowmuseums.00am-5. Disabled access limited Car: free parking Rail: Dumbarton Central or Dumbarton East.nsf/content/pt-clwalksinformation QwzZSr The Tall Ship 150 Pointhouse Quay Glasgow G3 8RS 0141 357 3699 www. 9.00am-1.00am-10.00pm-4.xscape.firstgroup.uk/subway Bus: www.gov. Bus: First Bus services 16. Braehead Xscape 0871 200 3222 www. Clyde Clippers 01475 721281 www. Trails and Walks Online Glasgow www. Admission charge.com/scotrail Subway: www.glasgow. Photography Clydebank re-built Clyde Maritime Trust East and West Dunbartonshire Councils Friends of Govan Old Francis Frith Collection Glasgow City Council Glasgow Life Historic Scotland McAteer Photograph National Library of Scotland Renfrewshire Council Scottish Maritime Museum Evelyn Silber University of Aberdeen (Special Collections) University of Glasgow Libraries. Loch Lomond Seaplanes 0870 242 1457 www. Daily service Monday to Friday 10.west-dunbarton.titanclydebank. archive and tourism staff of Glasgow City Council. Closed Monday.com/canals-andrivers/forth-and-clyde-canal/walking Dumbarton Denny’s Ship Model Experiment Tank (Scottish Maritime Museum) 01389 763444 www.org. Bus: regular service to Clydebank Bus Station and Clydebank College Car: A814. Friday. bowling.00pm. QwZz BBC Building www.walk from Argyle Street.30pm. Admission charge QzwZS Rail: 20 minutes from Glasgow (Queen St or Central Station) to Clydebank.00pm.19 to A814 and then Follow brown signs for ‘The Tall Ship’.renfrewshire. November to February 10.00am5. Clydebank Museum 01389 772147 www.30am-4. Museums and Archives (Special Collections).historic-scotland.uk/ilwwcm/ publishing.co.uk/scotland Lobby and cafe open to visitors Govan Govan Old Church www. then 5 minute walk to Purser’s office (tickets and Courtesy bus).00pm (last admission 1 hour before closing).uk/en/ Residents/gettingaround/River/ www.uk 42 Canal Street Renfrew Tuesday to Saturday 10.20am.glasgowsciencecentre. Old Kilpatrick. It is advisable to check before visiting.uk April to October from outside Glasgow Science Centre. Bellgrove and High Street rail stations. Renfrewshire Council and staff at venues included in the Guide for their help in compiling it.com Open everyday throughout July and August 10.00am-4. Rail: 15mins. jct. 62. 18. 1October to late March.theglasgowstory.00pm. 2.00am-5. Admission charge Heritage Stories. 64. Clyde Ride – 30mins Erskine Bridge – 1 hour Dumbarton Rock – 1 hr 30mins Estuary and Rothesay negotiable Waverley and Balmoral Excursions For Glasgow sailings see www.00pm. No charge.glasgow.uk/artsculture-and-libraries/culturalservices/clydebank-museum Clydebank Town Hall.thetallship.lochlomondseaplanes. Clydebank Titan Crane 0141 952 3771 www.00am-5.00am-late.waverleyexcursions.org Seasonal opening hours . Admission free.com Dumbarton.please check website before visiting. See website for ski.bbc. Admission free.30pm. Dumbarton Road Tuesday to Saturday 10. Wednesday. Prince’s Dock Glasgow Science Centre and IMAX Cinema 0141 420 5000 www.co.gov.uk/snow/braehead/ opening-times 8.uk Open 1st Wednesday in June – 1st Saturday in September. Admission charge.waterscape.00pm daily.30pm.org/ 10.co.wdcweb.com River Trips River: www.govanold.walk from St Enoch station.gov. 25A and 26 from M8.gov.gov. Admission free. Dumbarton Castle (Historic Scotland) 01389 732167 www.uk/en/Residents/ Parks_Outdoors/Heritage/ HeritageTrails/ www.info/artsculture-and-libraries/culturalservices/heritage/heritage-trailleaflets/ Renfrew and Erskine www.waterscape.spt. Clydebank.

richRiverside Museum The Tall Ship & Kelvinhaugh Ferry. Bascule Bridge. Renfrewshire Council and Govan Old Parish Church.000 new jobs • 24. Bowling Harbour. Imax Station. For further information please visit www. Ship Model Experiment Tank. social and environmental regeneration from Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton has the Victoria Bridge and the Merchant City potential to deliver: Victoria Bridge. Forth and Clyde Canal. Inchinnan Road. 2008.000 new homes • 900. Erskine Riverfront Walkway. history and important heritage sites along the river are recognised. Harland & Wolff. Xscape. Renfrew Community Museum Clyde Heritage Guide from Glasgow Green to Dumbarton A761 A8 Simons & s Lobnitz Yard z Ferry Inn y Renfrew Community Museum Renfrew-Yoker Ferry Clydeview Park w Xscape Braehead Shopping Centre A82 A81 A879 A803 M8 Inchinnan Road n Bascule Bridge e Erskine India of Inchinnan Building. Glasgow Tower. developments. Nelson Monument. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings. Cinema. Trust Building Clyde Navigation Successful regeneration involves linking past and future. WestPearce Institute Dunbartonshire Council. The Briggait & Merchant’s Steeple. Society. The McLennan Arch. Graving Docks. Clyde View Park Ferry Inn. Mar Hall (Erskine House) A741 M8 King George V e Dock A814 A739 Clydebank Titan Crane. We hope this guide will help visitors and local people Prince’s Dock to enjoy discovering the area. King George V Dock. Henry Bell Monument. industrial and The Broomielaw leisure space. Forth and Clyde Canal A736 A8 M8 A74 A749 A89 Old Kilpatrick and Bowling Harbour Antonine Wall. Carlton Place • 50. Glasgow Humane Doulton Fountain. Finnieston Crane. Scotstoun Yard. Elder Park. South Rotunda Glencairn Greit House Parish Church Ship Model p Experiment Tank A82 A814 A8 Glasgow Tower w Science Finnieston Graving Crane Centre A809 Dock North Rotunda h Govan n Town Hall Hydraulic Pumping Station South Rotunda Dumbarton Rock & Castle k A89 y Henry Bell Monument Bowling Harbour Custom House Antonine Wall M8 Victoria Bridge McLennan Arch n Nelson Monument People’s e Palace & Winter Gardens Doulton Fountain n Templeton’s Carpet Factory t Glasgow e Humane Society A74 A749 04 05 g Lang Dyke Roman Fort & n t Bath House h r Mar Hall (Erskine House) e Justiciary Courthouse A810 A8 M8 A814 M77 A809 A879 A730 06 Clyde Waterfront is a strategic partnership of the Scottish Government. People’s Palace and Winter Gardens M8 MOTORWAY ROAD RAILWAY SUBWAY Govan h Parish Church Pearce Institute John Elder n Sculpture Riverside Museum e l The Tall Ship Hydraulic Pumping Station Clyde Navigation Trust Building The Briggait Carlton Place Merchant’s Steeple M8 02 03 Economic.01 Over 20-25 years an estimated £5-6 billion of Glasgow Green public and private investment will regenerate 20km Justiciary Courthouse.CO. 100018398. Newshot Island. landscape. Glencairn Greit House Reproduced from Ordnance Survey material with the permission of Ordnance Survey on behalf of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationary Office © Crown copyright. Govan Glasgow City Council. Parish Church. Town Hall & Clydebank Museum. retail. Hydraulic Pumping Science Centre. The Clyde Waterfront Partnership has Queen’s Dock and Yorkhill Quay developed this guide to ensure that the new North Rotunda. Govan Town Hall.com Erskine Riverfront Walkway A726 A82 Newshot Island Titan Crane a India of Inchinnan Building h Forth Clyde Canal n l Town Hall & k Clydebank Museum A82 A77 07Clyde Waterfront 08 09 10 11 12 Braehead Atrium Court 50 Waterloo Street Glasgow G2 6HQ Renfrew Braehead Centre. Roman Fort & Bath House SOURCE: SE GIS TEAM CONTACT: KMAP@SCOTENT. Hydraulic Pumping Station. Templeton’s Carpet Factory. Scottish Enterprise Network. of the River Clyde. Scottish Enterprise. Custom House. .000m2 of office. Fairfield’s Offices.UK DATE: 18/11/2008 A761 A737 A761 M77 A726 A77 A730 Dumbarton Dumbarton Rock & Castle.clydewaterfront. Simons and Lobnitz Yard. Lang Dyke.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful