You are on page 1of 6

Cities fit for Cycling survey Summary report

Almost 14,000 supporters of The Times Cities fit for Cycling campaign completed a survey to help shape the future of cycling.. The results have been presented to the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group as part of a cross party inquiry aimed at getting more people to cycle in Britain.

1. Demographics

- Survey of 13,694 people, 74% male and 26% female - Almost 80% of the people in the survey were between 26 and 59 years old, and 14% above the age of 60. Only 7% of the total were younger than 26.

2. We asked respondents how often they cycle and what would make them cycle more

- 81% (10,973) of the people surveyed cycle more than twice a week. 40% cycle every day. 10% cycle less than a few times a month.

Looking at what would make people cycle more, (pie chart, above left), Segregated cycle lanes received the highest number of votes (7,437 or 25% of the total), followed by Simpler and safer junctions (6,753 or 23%) Improved road surface (4669 or 16%) and Speed limits of 20 mph in city centres (4,541 or 16%) were also among the most important factors. When taking into account the range of responses (i.e. the number of people who answered least) the strongest expressed preference was for Simpler and safer junctions with 96.8 % saying it would make them cycle more and only 3.2% saying it wasnt an issue they cared about. (Bar chart, above right)

The graph above shows what different age groups think are the most important factors for making people cycle more. Segregated cycle lanes is more important for all groups, followed by Simpler and safer Junctions and Improved road surface. People over 60 think that Speed limit of 20 mph in city centre is an important factor in 20% of the cases, but people below 18 years old feel less the need for it (11% of the age group preferences), as well as for Segregated cycle lanes (20% vs 26%) and Simpler and safer junctions (20% vs 24%).

3. We asked respondents to identify the greatest danger to cyclists.

People identified Lorries as the greatest danger to cyclists (34%), followed by cars (25%), road design (19%) and buses (16%). Only 4% of the total respondents think that other cyclists or themselves are the greatest danger to cyclists. 20% of respondents think that they themselves are often a danger. 16% of the people think that pedestrians are often a danger.

4. We asked respondents how cycling infrastructure should be funded.

The vast majority (76%) of the people who filled the questionnaire think that cycle infrastructure should be paid for out of existing taxes. 13% think that there should be corporate sponsorship of infrastructure. 5. We asked respondents on which forms of public transport they would most often like to take their bicycle.

Data shows that the vast majority of respondents would like to take their bike on the train (68%) . Second place is evenly split between Tube and Bus (14% and 15%).

6. We asked respondents in which scenarios they would/wouldnt cycle.

96% said it was likely they would cycle in the countryside. 80% said they would be likely to cycle at night or on main roads. Respondents were divided on whether or not they would let their children cycle on the roads (43% said likely, 57% said unlikely). 7. We asked respondents about the kind of behaviour among cyclists which they find most annoying.

The most annoying habits are cyclists not stopping at zebra crossing (28%) and jumping red lights (26%). Undertaking at junctions is not considered to be annoying (56% said it was least annoying rather than most.) Not wearing hi-vis clothing and lights was seen as a most annoying habit by 17%