You are on page 1of 20

St.

Marys Parish Congregation, Portage la Prairie


In 1853, with everything going well at St Peters Mission on the Red River, Reverend William Cockran (1798-1865) left with his family to start a mission at Portage la Prairie. At the same time about 12 other families from Middlechurch and St Andrews settled in Portage as members of the first St. Marys congregation. These people included John and Thomas Anderson; Baptiste and John Desmarais and Peter and Simon Whitford. Almost all of the good river lots along the Red and Assiniboine rivers had been taken up, and many sons and daughters of the early settlers had to move westward along the Assiniboine river with their families to find farmland. 1853, Members of Archdeacon Cochranes congregation. Frederick Bird William Garrioch John Hodgson Richard Favel John Anderson Sr. Thomas Anderson Sr. Peter Whitford John Spence Henry House John Garrioch Baptiste Desmarais Charles Desmarais John Inkster Simon Whitford Peter Garrioch William Sutherland William Gaddy Sharlotte Spence Gavin Garrioch James Whitford Henry House Jr. Magnus House Robert Inkster James Whitford Magnus Whitford Profiles of the congregation: Anderson Jr., John. (b. 1827) Henry Anderson William Norn David Cusitar John Dougal McKay William McKay Peter Henderson Joseph Turner Robert Gunn David Bow Allen McIvor John James Setter William Hodgson Alexander Gaddy James Frank Malcolm Cummings Charles Cummings Joseph House Henry House Sr. Philip Whitford Francis Whitford James Jonas Benjamin McKenzie David Anderson John Whitford John Anderson Jr.

John Anderson was the son of John Anderson Sr. and Mary Anne Desmarais. He married Christina Whitford, (b-1833) the daughter of Peter Whitford and Christiana Spence in 1854 at St. Marys. Anderson, Albert - Concerning his claim as a child - Address, Calgary, P.O. [Post Office] - Born, Portage la Prairie, January 13, 1857 - Father, John Anderson, (Mtis) - Mother, Christiana Whitford, (Mtis) - Married, April 10, 1878 to Marguerite Howse - Scrip for $240 - Claim 321 Anderson Sr., John. (1804-1884) John was the son of James Anderson1 (Scot, b. 1775) and Mary Anne Desmarais (b. 1780 Indian) Mary Desmarais, a daughter of Francois Demarais and Marie Suzette Saulteaux . Mary's brother, Charles Desmarais, married Harriet Favell. John and Mary Anne had thirteen children. Anderson Sr., Thomas (b. 1806) Thomas was born on June 5, 1806 at Turtle Mountain or Brandon House, son of James Anderson (Scot, b. 1775) and Mary Anne Demarais (b. 1780 Indian). He married Catherine Landry or Sanders on October 5, 1828 at St. Johns. They moved their family to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, in the 1850's. Anderson, David. (1827 - 1898) David was the son of John Anderson Sr. and Mary Anne Desmarais. He married Mary Matilda (Indian) before 1849. They had three children. Anderson, Henry. (1828-1873) Henry was the son of Thomas Anderson and Catherine Landry. He married Sophia Harper, the daughter ofJames Harper and Mary (Indian) in 1850 at St. Andrews. They had six children, the last four were born at Portage la Prairie. Bird, Frederick Adolphus (1823 1884)
1

James worked at Albany House, as the Fort Taylor (tailor), for 2 years and, at its outposts on the Albany River: Martin Falls and Osnaburgh House, sewing clothes (usually coats) and making shoes (mocassins) for the men. He also worked as a labourer (cutting brush and sawing wood) and hunted, in addition to his tailor duties. He was transferred to Brandon House in March 1799, a HBC Post which was established in 1793 on the Assiniboine River. His salary in 1799 was 12 Pounds. It was at Brandon House, where he met his wife then 12 years who was working in Brandon House, itself. She was from the Saulteaux (Ojibway) Tribe. They married according to the custom of the country(Source: Many Trails to Manitou Wapah) They had 14 children, with the first being born when Mary was 13 years old. She was born in 1789 and died in 1854, being buried in St. Andrew's Anglican Church Cemetery in Poplar Point (Manitoba). James died in 1856, being buried in St. Andrew's. Mary was buried on May 25th, 1854, at the age of 65, at St. Andrew's Parish Cemetery.

Frederick was the son of George Bird (Metis) and Anne Thomas (Metis). Frederick was a political figure in Manitoba. He represented Portage la Prairie from 1870 to 1874 in the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba. He was born in Carleton and educated in the Red River colony. Bird married Ann Garrioch. He died in Portage la Prairie at the age of 61. A Scottish Half-Breed, Bird was elected to Manitobas first legislature in 1870 to represent Portage la Prairie. Frederick was born on March 18, 1823, the son of George Bird and Mary Ann Thomas.2 Frederick Bird was a Metis storekeeper in Portage la Prairie. He was married to Ann Garrioch (b. 1826), the daughter of William Garrioch and Nancy Cook, on December 21, 1843. They had eight children only five of whom lived past childhood. Frederick was part of the Portage group, which opposed Louis Riel. He was imprisoned by Riel at one point. Bird died at Portage la Prairie on 30 November 1884, at the age of 61 years. Frederick Bird is the great-great-greatgrandfather of present day Manitoba M.L.A. Tom Nevakshonoff, elected from the Interlake riding Scrip affidavit for Bird, Frederick A.; born: March 18, 1823; father: George Bird (Mtis); mother: Ann Thomas (Mtis); claim no: 2286; scrip No: 11152; date of issue: October 2, 1876; amount: $160 Bow, David Anderson, Nancy; address: Prince Albert; claim no. 1770; born: 1826 at St. Andrews father: John Anderson (Mtis); mother: Mary Desmarais (Mtis); married: 1842 at St. Andrews to David Sanderson or Little Bow Cummings, Charles. (b. 1811) Charles was the son of Cuthbert Cummings and Susette McKee or Mackie. He married Sarah Garrioch, the daughter of William Garrioch and Nancy Cook. They had nine children. Cummings, Malcolm. (1824-1908) Malcolm Cummings was the son of Cuthbert Cummings and Susette McKee or Mackie. Malcolm married Mary Mowat in 1843, then married Margaret Gibson the daughter of Hugh Gibson and Angelique Chalifoux in 1854 at St. Andrews. Cuthbert Cumming became a North West Company clerk at Fort Dauphin in 1804, and remained in the Swan River District until 1828 with the exception of one year on leave and one at Red River. In these years he took an Indian wife who bore him seven children, and his concern for them is a recurring theme in his papers; he made provision for them
2

George Bird (b. 1797) was the son of James Curtis Bird and Mary (Cree). Mary Ann Thomas was the daughter of Thomas Thomas and Sarah (Cree).

in his will. He remained a clerk with the HBC for several years, then was promoted chief trader in 1827. (See, Elizabeth Arthur, Canadian Dictionary of Biography.) Malcolms life was typical of many Metis men whose mothers were Saulteaux and fathers were Scottish HBC employees; he had a long career as an interpreter for the government. In 1843 Malcolm married Mary Mowat then in 1854 he married Margaret Gibson, the daughter of Hugh Gibson and Angelique Chalifoux. Malcolm and Margaret had eleven children. They lived at Portage la Prairie and he was employed as a schoolmaster. At the west end of the settlement about sixty five steps from the present Indian School, he established a day school and held an afternoon Sunday service there, Mr. Malcolm Cummings had charge of the school, and taught not only reading, writing and arithmetic but religion. The enrollment was about thirty, and about the same number attended the Sunday services. [Bell 1926:16]3 In 1876, Lt. Gov. Morris had used Cummings as an interpreter when the Portage Bands selected their reserves. Then the agreement was completed, I asked Mr. Cummings, the interpreter, to read it to them, which he did: three Indians who understood English, and who had at an early period been selected by the Indians to check the interpretation of what was said, standing by, and Mr. Cummings being assisted by Mr. Cooke, of St. James', who at Mr. Cummings' request, I had associated with him on the Indians choosing their interpreters.4 The diaries of Francis Ogletree of Potage la Prairie, a politician and Indian Agent, indicate that for many years Cummings was employed by him as a Saulteaux interpreter and travelling companion as he served the Roseau River and Portage Bands (White Mud, Yellow Quill and Short Bear bands). When Frank Field made the Portage la Prairie treaty payments on June 30, 1872 it was Malcolm Cummings who acted as interpreter. Scrip affidavit for Cummings, Eliza; born: 27 September 1856; father: Malcolm Cummings; mother: Margaret Gibson. Cusitar (Cusitor), David Magnus. (b. 1827) David was the son of John Cusitor. He married Margaret Whitford, the daughter of James Whitford and Nancy Spence. They had fifteen children. Their children were married to Hendersons, Spences and Setters at Portage la Prairie. Desmarais, Baptiste (b. 1810) Baptiste was the son of Francois Desmarais and Mary (Indian).
3

Bell, Margaret J. 1926. Portage La Prairie From the Earliest Times to 1907. B.A. Thesis, University of Manitoba. 4 P.A.C. RG10 Vol. 3624 file 5217 1, Morris to Laird, July 8, 1876.

Scrip affidavit for Desmarais, Marguerite; wife of Baptiste Desmarais; born: 1830; father: Francois Patrice (Mtis); mother: Marie Charette (Mtis); claim no.: 2086; scrip no.: 10960; date of issue: Oct. 2, 1876; amount: $160 Desmarais, Charles (b. 1808) Charles was also the son of Francois Desmarais and Mary (Indian). Desmarais, William Rupert; address: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; claim no. 288; born: 4 December, 1882 at Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; father: Henry Charles Desmarais (Mtis); mother: Mary Ann Whitford (Mtis); scrip cert.: form C, no. 429 Desmarais, Margaret Mathilda; address: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; claim no. 290; born: 17 March, 1879 at Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; father: Henry Charles Desmarais (Mtis); mother: Mary Ann Whitford (Mtis); scrip cert.: form C, no. 423 Desmarais, Rosine; address: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; claim no. 289; born: 27 December, 1881 at St. Catherines; father: Henry Charles Desmarais (Mtis); mother: Mary Ann Whitford (Mtis); scrip cert.: form C, no. 427 Favel, Richard. (b. 1812) Richard was the son of Thomas Favell (b. 1784) and Salley Pas-sa Trout. He married Euphemia Anderson, the daughter of James Anderson and Mary (Saulteaux) in 1837 at St. Andrews. He died at St. Marys Portage la Prairie on April 23, 1873. Scrip affidavit for Favel, Richard; born: 1812; died: 1873; father: Thomas Favel (Mtis); mother: Indian; heirs: his widow and children: Euphemia (widow); Christiana (wife of Frederick Morgan); Mary; Charles; Richard; William; James; David; Sarah (wife of Samuel Giddings); Harriet and Victoria; claim no.: 2306; scrip no.: 9666 to 9675; date of issue: Aug. 8, 1876 Scrip affidavit for Favel, Euphemin, widow of Richard Favel; born: 1812; father: James Anderson (Scot); mother: Mary (Indian); claim no: 2305; scrip no: 11168; date of issue: October 2, 1876 Favel, Elizabeth Nellie - Concerning her claim as a child - Address, Victoria P.O. [Post Office] - Born, 1860 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Henry Howse, (Mtis) Mother, Jane Spence, (Mtis) - Married, 1872 at Victoria to Joseph Favel Children living, five - Children deceased, two - Scrip for $240 - Claim 1204 Franks, James. (1846-1929)

James Edward Franks was the son of James Franks Sr. and Justine Stephens. He was married to Janet Matheson, the daughter of John Matheson and Ann Polson on April 13, 1870. Scrip affidavit for Frank, Sarah; born: 4 November 1856; father: James Frank; mother: Sarah Frank (Metis) Scrip affidavit for Frank, James E., wife: Janet Frank (Matheson), daughter of John Matheson, an original white settler from Scotland, settled in Red River Country in 1815; son of James Edward Frank; born: May 25, 1892; claims to be entitled as grandson of an original white settler to receive scrip for $160 Gaddy (Gaddie), Alexander. Alexander was married to Marguerite Kennedy. Their children were Mary (b. 1854), Margaret (b. 1857), William (b. 1861), Jane (b. 1863 and Alexander James (b. 1866). Scrip Certificate No. 1011 Form A for $240.00 in favour of Alexander James Gaddy. Gaddy, William - Concerning his claim as a Mtis child - Address, Medicine Hat - Born, 1861 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Alexander Gaddy, (Mtis) - Mother, Marguerite Kennedy, (Mtis) - Scrip for $240 - Claim 353 Fitzpatrick, Jane - Concerning her claim as a Mtis child - Address, Medicine Hat - Born, Portage LaPrairie, 1863 - Father, Alexander Gaddy, (Mtis) - Mother, Marguerite Kennedy, (Mtis) - Married, fall of 1882 to Martin Fitzpatrick Children living, one, William - Children deceased, one, John - Scrip for $240 Claim 354 Gaddy, Margaret; address: Peapot's Reserve; claim no. 1288; born: 1857 at St. Andrew's Parish; father: Alexander Gaddy (Mtis); mother: Margaret Kennedy (Mtis); married: 1877 at Fort Walsh to Richard McKinnon; children living: Marianne, Floree and 2 unnamed; children deceased: Ellen, Edwin and 2 unnamed; scrip for $240.00 Gaddy, Alexandre James; address: Crooked Lake; claim no. 1265; born: 1866 at Portage la Prairie; father: Alexandre Gaddy (Mtis); mother: (Mtis); married: Winter, 1885 at Crooked Lake to Marie Rose Lavalle; scrip for $240.00 Gaddy, William. (b. 1815) William Gaddy was born in 1815, the son of James Gaddy and Mary, a Muddy River Peigan. He was a Scottish Half-Breed farmer from Portage la Prairie. He married Mary Marguerite Garrioch, the daughter of William Garrioch and Nancy Cook, in 1835.

William and Marguerite had one daughter, Ann, who married William Peter Favel (b. 1845) on December 14, 1865 at St. Marys, Portage la Prairie. They had six children, five born at Portage la Prairie and the youngest born in 1878 at QuAppelle. After Anns death William remarried to Marie Pritchard in 1879. William was also a noted buffalo hunter. During one hunt Gaddy was involved in the large Chippewa-Metis and Dakota battle at OBriens Coule5 near present day Olga, North Dakota in 1848. Franois Corvin Gosselin who along with Gaddy would later be a sub-leader of the 49th Rangers attached to the British Boundary Commission was also at this battle.6 The Chippewa-Metis hunting camp was made up of 800 Metis men and 200 Chippewa Indian men. They had their families, horses and over 1,000 Red River carts. The Chippewa were led by Old Red Bear and Little Shell II. The Metis were led by Jean Baptiste Wilkie whose mother was a full-blood Chippewa. William Gaddy was present, described as a brave man sub-leader of the Scotts Half Breeds. Franois Corvin Gosselin (1817-1907) was sub-leader of the French Half Breeds. The battle took place before mid-summer. William Gaddy opposed Louis Riel in 1869-70. He was captured as a spy by Louis Riel in February 1870. According to Riel, he had been a courier for friends of John Schultz, the leader of the Canadian Party, and the Mtis had demanded his execution on the spot. He was led to one of the bastions of Fort Garry to be executed by A. D. Lpine and Elzar Goulet, but was allowed to escape. The home of Williams father James Gaddy, was on Lot 42, at St. Pauls parish on the west side of the Red river. The lot passed through what is now Riverside Cemetery. Lot 41 adjoining on the south was the home of Chief Factor William Hemming Cook, Nancy Garriochs father. Immediately south of the Cook property, on Lot 40, was the homestead of William Garrioch, father of Marguerite Gaddy. When William and Marguerite married they took up residence on James Gaddys homestead. They only farmed 13 acres, and William took up buffalo hunting on the plains. The captains of the hunt were alternately William Hallett and William Gaddy and Jean Baptiste Wilkie was leader. This activity continued until 1852, when, with a number of neighbours, the Gaddys moved to Portage la Prairie, which came to have a Gaddy Street named after William. They more or less disappear from view until the 1869 Resistance begins. Later, Gaddy headed for Prince Albert where a number of Portage families also moved. William established residence at Red Deer Hill in the Lindsay area. He and Marguerite were photographed there in 1891 when George Henry Gunn visited them. They were living alone.7 Their daughter Ann, died sometime before 1878.

So called because OBrien lived at this location some 35 years after the event. It is a short distance west of Olga, N.D. Olga is between one branch of the Pembina River to the north and the Tongue River to the south. 6 Libby Papers, A85, Box 36, Notebook #14. August 4, 1910 interview with Little Duck, Dominion City, MB, interpreter Roger St. Pierre. This paper was given to me by Louis Garcia, historian for the Mni Wakan Oyate. 7 George Henry Gunn, William Gaddy: Noted Plainsman and Patriot. PAM, MG 9 A 78-2, box 5/40.

William served as a sub-leader under William Hallett in the 49th Rangers as part of the Boundary Commission during 1873-74. Mary Gaddy died circa March 1901, in the Kirkpatrick district, near Lindsay, Saskatchewan. His fathers service record with the Hudsons Bay Co. is shown below. Garrioch, Gavin Gaven was the son of William Garrioch Jr (b. 1828) and Mary Brown (both Metis). Gaven H. Garrioch was born in. 1822, and died February 4, 1900. He married Nancy Bourke. Garrioch, John. (1813-1891) John was the son of William Garrioch Jr (b. 1828) and Mary Brown (both Metis). John Garrioch: was born in 1813, and died. February 21, 1891. John Garrioch and Eliza Campbell were married on September 21, 1843, St. John's. Scrip affidavit for Garrioch, John C.; born: 5 December 1853; father: Gavin Garriock (Metis); mother: Anna Buck (or Burke) Metis Scrip affidavit for Garrioch, John; born: 20 February 1845; father: John Garriock; mother: Eliza Campbell Garrioch, Peter. (1811-1888) Peter Garrioch was a Scottish-Cree Mtis who worked as a schoolteacher, Catechist with Reverend Cochran, and fur trader. He was the son of Nancy Cook, the daughter of William Hemmings Cook, Governor of York Factory and his wife Mary, daughter of Matthew Cocking. His father was William Garrioch. William retired from the HBC in 1820 and became the first schoolteacher at Middlechurch parish. Peter was born on an island in Lake Winnipeg where his parents were camped while travelling between Norway House and Swan River. While based in Red River, Peter frequently travelled down to the Mississippi River country. He was active in the free trade advocacy movement in the 1830s and 40s. In 1834, he and some friends packed furs down to the United States to get a better price. He then taught school for two years at St. Johns. He then moved south in 1837, looking to further his education. He arrived in Fort Snelling on July 27, 1837, after a forty-three day journey from Red River. He got sidetracked by his interest in the Chippewa treaty negotiations and did not enter school. Instead, he took Reverend Jedediah Stevens place at a Sioux mission at Harriet Lake (present day Minneapolis), while Stevens went on a fund raising trip to New York. After Stevens returned, Peter took a teaching job at the Methodist mission at Kaposia. He then took one year at Kenyon College, but his eyes were failing and he quit.

Garrioch then became an independent fur trader for the American Fur Company. His father-in-law Kenneth McKenzie was the trader who organized the upper Missouri operations of the company and had built Fort Union. It is interesting that McKenzie was later to adopt the famous Metis scout, Jerry Potts. Peter established himself at a post on the Mouse (Souris) River and spent 1843-45 moving between Red River, Wintering Creek and Fort Clark on the Missouri. In 1844, he was part of the party that first opened the Crow Wing Trail from St. Paul to Fort Garry. Garrioch was working with James Sinclair to import goods from St. Paul into Red River, and helped establish the regular cart trail between the two settlements. In the 1860s he had moved into the buffalo robe trade. Garrioch married Margaret McKenzie on December 24, 1849. Their first son, Kemper was born in 1850 (they had eight more children by 1867). The family then went to the Portage la Prairie area and built a small Episcopalian Mission and established a school there in 1851. He lived at Portage la Prairie until 1865 when he moved to White Mud River. In 1871, he was appointed postmaster there and a Justice of the Peace. He was also placed in charge of the Courts of Petty Sessions for the region. Peter died on December 6, 1888 and his wife Margaret died on July 20, 1914. Both were buried in the Westbourne Cemetery. For further information see the Peter Garrioch Journal, 1843-1847, transcript on file at Provincial Archives of Manitoba in Winnipeg. Peters younger brother William was born in 1828 and was married to Mary Brown (b. 1835). They had 16 children, 13 born at Portage la Prairie and two born at Kinosota. He was a representative of the Parish of St. Marys Laprairie (Portage) in the 1870 provisional government. Garrioch, William Jr. (b. 1828) William Garrioch Jr. was born 4 July 1828 to William Garrioch8 (of Orkney), and Nancy Cook (Mtis), a daughter of William Hemmings Cook (London, England) and Kahnawpawmakan (Cree). In about 1851, William Garrioch Jr. married Mary Brown, the daughter of Henry Brown (of Orkney) and his wife Elizabeth/Isabella Slater (Metis).9 Mary was born on October 01, 1833 at St Paul Parish, Red River Settlement. Siblings of William Garrioch Jr.: Peter Garrioch: Peter was born on July 5, 1811 on an island in Lake Winnipeg where his parents were camped while travelling between Norway House and Swan River. While based in Red River, Peter frequently travelled down to the Mississippi River country. He was active in the free trade advocacy movement in the 1830s and 40s. In 1834, he and some friends packed furs down to the United States to get a better price. He then taught school for two years at St. Johns. He then moved south in 1837, looking to further his education. He arrived in Fort Snelling on July 27, 1837, after a forty-three day journey from Red River. He got

8 9

William Sr. retired from the HBC in 1820 and became the first schoolteacher at Middlechurch parish. Isabella Slater was born circa 1808 in Rupert's Land. She married William on February 06, 1829 in St John's Parish, High Bluff. She was the daughter of James Slater and Mary (Indian).

sidetracked by his interest in the Chippewa treaty negotiations and did not enter school. Instead, he took Reverend Jedediah Stevens place at a Sioux mission at Harriet Lake (present day Minneapolis), while Stevens went on a fund raising trip to NewYork. After Stevens returned, Peter took a teaching job at the Methodist mission at Kaposia.He then took one year at Kenyon College, but his eyes were failing and he quit. Garrioch married Margaret McKenzie on December 24, 1849. Their first son, Kemper was born in 1850 (they had eight more children by 1867). The family then went to the Portage la Prairie area and built a small Episcopalian Mission and established a school therein 1851. He lived at Portage la Prairie until 1865 when he moved to White Mud River. In1871, he was appointed postmaster there and a Justice of the Peace. He was also placed in charge of the Courts of Petty Sessions for the region. Peter died on December 6, 1888 and his wife Margaret died on July 20, 1914. Both were buried in the Westbourne Cemetery. For further information see the Peter Garrioch Journal, 1843-1847, transcript on file at Provincial Archives of Manitoba in Winnipeg. John Garrioch: b. 1813, d. February 21, 1891. John Garrioch and Eliza Campbell: were married on September 21, 1843, St. John's. Margaret Garrioch: b. 1815, Swan River. Margaret Garrioch and William Gaddy were married on January 14, 1834, St. John's. William Gaddy was a buffalo hunt leader and a member of the 49th Rangers attached to the Boundary commission 1873-74. In 1869 Gaddy was an opponent of Louis Riel. Sarah Garrioch: b. 1818, Norway House. Sarah (Sally) Garrioch and Charles Cummings were married in March 1845, St. John's. Harriet Garrioch:, b. 1821, Swan River. Harriet Garrioch and Henry Cook were married on March 12, 1838, St. John's. Gaven H. Garrioch:, b. 1822, d. February 4, 1900. He married Nancy Bourke. Emma Garrioch: b. 1823. She married Jon Gunn on February 14, 1855. Anna Garrioch:, b. 1824. She married Frederick Bird on December 21, 1843 in St. John's.

It appears that initially William Garrioch Jr. and wife Mary held an allotment of land near St. Peters parish that had been granted by Chief Peguis. As early as 1853, however, they had joined a group of settlers who moved further to the west to establish a new church and parish at St. Marys la Prairie. In 1862 Garrioch Jr. sold the St. Peters property and concentrated on growing grain at la Prairie, where his brother, John Garrioch, also farmed and taught school. The new parish was formalized on 9 April 1866, and William Garrioch Jr. was named a member of the vestry of St. Marys. Children of William Garrioch and Mary Brown: Albert Clarence Garrioch: born before July 21, 1867; died 1959 in Amaranth, Manitoba. In 1880, he married Caroline McKay b: April 05, 1862 in Manitoba House d: January 27, 1934 in Amaranth. She was the daughter of: CharlesRichards McKay and Margaret Campbell.

10

Charles Garrioch: b. 1874. Scrip claim: Garrioch, Charles; address: Portage la Prairi; claim no. 512; born: 6 June, 1874 at Portage la Prairie; father: William Garrioch (Mtis); mother: Mary Brown (Mtis). William Garrioch: b. 1876. Scrip claim, William Campbell Garrioch; address: Minitonas Post Office; claim no. 508; born: 1 May, 1876 at Kenesota; father: William Garrioch (Mtis); mother: Mary Brown (Mtis); scrip cert.: form E, no. 2991 Alexander Melville Garrioch: was born circa 1880. In 1902, he married Ida Alice Pruden b: April 1886 d: January 1975. She was the daughter of Alexander William Pruden and Rubina Jane Ann "Ruby" Anderson. Scrip: Garrioch, Melvill; claim no. 502; address: Kenesota; born: 21 April, 1878 at Kenesota; father: William Garrioch (Mtis); mother: Mary Brown (Mtis); scrip cert.: form E, no. 2990. Jessie Lillie Garrioch, b. 1880. Scrip claim: Jessie Lillie Garrioch; address: Kenesota; claim no. 397; born: 20 April, 1880 at Kenesota; father: William Garrioch (Mtis); mother: Mary Brown (Mtis); scrip cert.: form C, no. 2174

On March 1, 1870 William Garrioch Jr. was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Assiniboia as representative of the parish of St. Marys Laprairie. Approximately a year after the creation of Manitoba, William Garrioch Jr. sold property identified as lot of land No. 1352, of six-chains frontage, on the north side of the Assiniboine River, between Headingly Church and the house of John Taylor to John H. McTavish, in conformance with the custom of the country prior to the transfer. By 1872, he was Justice of the Peace in and for the County of Marquette. He was also petitioning various levels of government, along with other original settlers, in protest against surveyors, who were encroaching well within the limits of their properties, to mark land as for sale under the homestead clause of he Dominion Lands Act as if the said lands had never previously been occupied. He was subsequently interviewed regarding the settlers descriptions of the extent of their properties, but continued to have difficulties. After he signed a reward offer for information on the person responsible for an attack on livestock, and resigned as justice of the peace, he and his wife Mary relocated, with their nine children, to Kinesota Settlement on Lake Manitoba the site of a former Hudsons Bay Company trading post, and an area projected to become a magnificent mixed-farming district. Six years later, his sale of property near St. Peters a decade before was called into question. He had passed on two deeds to the purchaser, William Elliot one from himself and one from Chief Peguis. When Elliott tried to re-sell the land, however, he was told he had derived no title from Garrioch, he (Garrioch) only holding through Peguis, who had no right to convey the lands, they being vested in the Crown. Whatever the resolution to his land title problems in Red River, his move to Kinesota appears to have been his last. He was recorded on the 1906 Manitoba census as a widower, 77 years old, and living in Dauphin district 2, sub-district 11 west, township 22, at lot 8, Kinesota

11

with three of his unmarried sons aged 26 to 32. Together they had had 8 horses, 20 milk cows, and 85 head of beef cattle. Reference: Norma Jean Hall: http://hallnjean.wordpress.com/sailors-worlds/the-red-river-resistanceand-the-creation-of-manitoba/legislative-assembly-of-assiniboia/hon-william-garrioch-jrst-mary%E2%80%99s-la-prairie/ Scrip affidavit for Garrioch, William; born: July 4, 1828; father: Wm. Garrioch; mother: Nancy Cook; claim no: 2727; date of issue: April 20, 1877 Scrip affidavit for Garrioch, Nancy, wife of William Garrioch; born: 1785; father: Wm. Hemmings Cook (English); mother: Kahnawpawamakan (Cree Indian); claim no: 2307; date of issue: October 2, 1876 Gunn, Robert. Scrip affidavit for Gunn, Robert; born: September 29, 1843; mother and father: Scots, son of John Gunn, an original white settler from Scotland settled in Red River Country in 1823 Scrip affidavit for Gunn, Ann E.; father: Robert Gunn, son of John Gunn an original white settler from Scotland, settled in Red River Country in 1823; mother: Barbara Gunn; children: Ann E.; born: December 31, 1868; John William; born: September 2 2, 1870; Isabella M.; born: November 21, 1872 Henderson, Peter. (1824-1906) Peter was the son of Peter Henderson Sr. (Scot) and Charlotte Yorkstone (Indian). He married Ellen Whitford (b. 1825), the daughter of Peter Whitford and Christiana Spence in 1824. Hodgson, John. (b. 1795) John was the son of Ephriam Hodgson (b.c. 1760) and Ann a Metisse or Cree (b. 1789, d. 1827). He was born at Fort Albany, died January 8, 1875 at High Bluff. John married Charlotte Yorkston daughter of William Yorkston and a Native woman, on December 4, 1827 at St. Johns. Scrip affidavit for Hodgson, John his widow, Charlotte Hodgson; born: 1795; died: January 8, 1875; father: John Hodgson (English); mother: (Mtis); heirs: John; Wm.; Matilda; wife of Joseph Paquin; claim no: 2323; date of issue: August 8, 1876 Hodgson, William. (b. 1826)

12

William was the son of John Hodgson and Charlotte Yorkston. He married Nancy Cook, the daughter of Samuel Cook and Isabella Gaddy. Scrip affidavit for Hodgson, Wm.; born: 1826; father: John Hodgson; mother: Charlotte Yostan; claim no: 2728; date of issue: April 20, 1877 Wife of James Hourie and child of William and Nancy Hodgson. Applies for patent for her minor claim. William Hodgson: NW and N of NE 16-14-9 W1. Adelaide Hourie: SE and S of NE 14-11-9 W1. Edward Hodgson: NW and W of NE 16-14-9 W1. House (Howse) Jr., Henry. (b. 1833) Henry was born on May 13, 1833 at St. johns, the son of Henry Howse and Jane Spence. He married Elizabeth Nellie Inkster, the daughter of John Inkster and Isabelle Sanderson in 1853 at St. Johns. House (Howse) Sr., Henry. (b. 1791) Henry was born c. 1797 at Red Deer River, the son of Joseph howse and Mary (Indian). He married Jane Spence the daughter of Magnus Spence and Christiana (Cree). He died on February 9, 1891 at Fort Victoria. Scrip affidavit for House, Henry, concerning the claims of his children: Jane House; born: December 25, 1858; Matilda House; born: December 15, 1858; Henry House Jr.; born: May 23, 1867; Isabella House; born: May 10, 1869 Howse, Margaret - Concerning her claim as a child - Address, Calgary - Born, 1856 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Henry Howse, (Mtis) - Mother, Jane Spence, (Mtis) - Married, April 10, 1878 at Prince Albert to Albert Anderson - Scrip for $240 - Claim 376 House (Howse), Joseph. (b. 1830) Joseph was born c. 1830 at St. Andrews, the son of Henry Howse and Jane Spence. He married Elizabeth Anderson, the daughter of Thomas Anderson and Catherine Landry in 1859 at St. Marys, P la P. Howse, Elizabeth - Concerning her claim as a head of family - Address, Victoria Born, 1838 at St. Andrews - Father, Thomas Anderson, (Mtis) - Mother, Catherine, (Mtis) - Married, 1858 at Portage la Prairie to Joseph Howse Children, on husband's declaration - Scrip for $160 - Claim 1200 Howse, Joseph - Concerning his claim as a head of family - Address, Victoria Born, 1830 at St. Andrews - Father, Henry Howse, (Mtis) - Mother, Jane Spence, (Mtis) - Married, 1858 at Portage la Prairie to Elizabeth Anderson - Children

13

living, nine (names on declaration) - Children deceased, two - Scrip for $160 Claim 1197. House, Thomas Henry; address: Battleford; claim no. 852; born: 1860 at Portage la Prairie; father: Joseph House (Mtis); mother: Elizabeth Anderson (Mtis); scrip for $240.00. Howse, Andrew - Concerning his claim as a child - Address, Calgary - Born, August 9, 1861 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Joseph Howse, (Mtis) - Mother, Elizabeth Anderson, (Mtis) - Scrip for $240 - Claim 374 House, Magnus. (b. 1845) Magnus was born c. 1845 at St. Johns, the son of Henry Howse and Jane Spence. Inkster, John b. 1806 John was the son of James Inkster and Mary (Cree) Gunn. He married Isabelle Sanderson (b. 1813) the daughter of Robert Sanderson and Betsy in 1833 at St. Johns RR. He was buried on August 2, 1864 at P la P. Inkster, Robert Robert James Inkster was born Sept. 19, 1836 at St. Johns the son of John Inkster (b. 1806) and Isabelle Sanderson. He married Harriet Gill the daughter of Robert Gill and Sophia Harper on May 22, 1856 AT St. Marys, P la P. He died on June 18, 1918 at Battleford. Jonas, James McIvor, Allen. (b. 1815) Allan McIvor was from Rosshire Scotland the son of Donald McIvor and Catherine. He married Elizabeth Beads (b. 1827) the daughter of John Beads (b.1800) in May of 1848 at St. Andrews. The couple had three children born at Fort Pelly and the last three were born at Portage la Prairie. McKay, John Dougal. (1827-1893) John was born January 07, 1827 in Rainy Lake District, the son of William McKay and Julie Chalifoux. On April 24, 1856 in Headingley, He married Harriet McKay (b. 1835), the daughter of John Richards McKay and Harriet Ballendine. He died at Portage la Prairie at age 66. The couple had thirteen children.

14

McKay, William. (1823-1889) William was the son of John Richards McKay and La Reine Trottier, he married Susan Versailles (b. 1832) the daughter of Pierre Vesailles and Josephte Letendre. The couple had seventeen children McKenzie, Reverend Benjamin. (1837-1928) Benjamin McKenzie was born on December 15, 1837 at Fort Vancouver, Washington, U.S.A. His father was Benjamin McKenzie, Chief Accountant for the Hudsons Bay Company, and his mother was Catherine Campbell, the daughter of Colin Campbell and Elizabeth McGillivray. His paternal grandparents were Roderick McKenzie and Angelique Mallotte. Roderick was born at Inverassynt, Scotland, and Angelique was an Ojibwa Indian from the Nipigon district of Ontario. Benjamin was sent to St. Johns Academy in Winnipeg at the age of seven, where he eventually became a teacher. He was living and teaching at Portage la Prairie at the time of his marriage to Harriet Fidler (born 1837) in 1859. Benjamin and Harriet would go on to have twelve children together. The McKenzies moved to the Settlement of Victoria Mission (east of present day Edmonton) in 1864. Benjamin was employed to teach at the Wesleyan Methodist School under the Reverand George McDougall. This school was one of the first protestant schools west of Manitoba. The family lived there for nine years, until Benjamin was asked to move back to Manitoba to study for the Ministry at St. Johns College. By this time, Benjamin was an accomplished scholar and could teach Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and French. The family lived in Red River until 1876, when they moved to Cumberland House some time after Benjamins ordination as an Anglican Minister. The family worked as missionaries to the Indians. After five years, they were transferred to minister to the Indians at St. Peters Reserve just north of present day Winnipeg. In 1890, Benjamin retired to the Parish of St. Clements. The family lived there for fifteen years. During that time, Benjamin was in charge of the Mission at Lake Manitoba, St. Andrews Parish, and the Black River Mission. He then moved to Robinson Spur in 1905, and to Whytewold in 1927. Benjamin had spent over fifty years in the Anglican Ministry. He died at age ninetyone on May 10, 1928, and was buried at St. Clements Anglican Church. Harriet predeceased Benjamin on September 21, 1924. Norn, William. (1825-1902)

15

William Norn was born on July 6, 1825 in South Ronaldshay, Orkney, Scotland. On Dec 6, 1848 William began service with the Hudsons Bay Company (HBC). From 1849 to 1851 he was a Labourer in the Saskatchewan District. From 1851 to 1854 he was a Labourer in the Upper Red River District (Winnipeg). On Nov 5, 1850 in Winnipeg, William married Sarah (Sally) Whitford (1836-1907), the Metis daughter of Mary Spence and James Whitford (1795-1872). On June 1, 1854 William retired from HBC service at Winnipeg. The couple had twelve children. In 1862 the family moved from Portage la Prairie to Victoria Crossing. Norn, Adeline - Concerning her claim as a child - Address, Victoria, P.O. [Post Office] - Born, January, 1864 at Portage la Prairie - Father, William Norn, (Scot) Mother, Sarah Whitford, (Mtis) - Married, January, 1881 at Victoria, P.O. [Post Office] to Louis Thompson - Children living, two - Scrip for 240 acres of land Claim 1227 Norn, Joseph Alexander; address: Edmonton born: January, 1862 at Portage la Prairie; father: William Norn (Scot); mother: Sarah Whitford (Mtis); married: 1885 at Edmonton to Elizabeth Jane; Pruden; children living: 1; scrip for $240.00; claim no. 412. Setter, John. (b. 1836) John was born on August 30, 1836 at St. Andrews. He was the son of Andrew Setter and Peggy Spence. John married Elizabeth Growler, the daughter of Oliver Growler and Jane Mary Brabrooke, in 1857 at St. James. They had eleven children. Two were married to Cussitors. Spence, Charlotte Spence, John. (b. 1828) John Spence was the son Magnus Spence (b. 1811) and Sarah Favell (b. 1815). Sutherland, William (1847) William was the son of Robert Sutherland and Ann Henderson (the daughter of Peter Henderson, above). He married Margaret Desjarlais in 1866 at Portage la Prairie. Sutherland, William; address: Manitoba House, Kenisota; born: 1847 at St. Andrews, Manitoba; father: Robert Sutherland (Mtis); mother: Ann Henderson (Mtis); married: in 1866 at Portage la Prairie to Margaret Desjarlais (deceased) and in 1882 at Manitoba House to Marie Beauchamps; children deceased: Robert, Thomas, Henry and Margaret; scrip for $160.00; claim no. 1557. Turner, Joseph Alexander. (b. 1838)

16

Joseph Turner was born in 1838 at Moose Factory, the son of Philip and Jane Turner. He married Jane Whitford (b. 1846), the daughter of Samuel Whitford and Mary Anderson. Turner, Joseph Alexander; address: Fort Saskatchewan; born: 1838 at Moose Factory; father: Philip Turner (Mtis); mother: Jane Turner (Mtis); married: 1862 at Portage la Prairie to Jane Whitford; children living: Mary Jane, Maggie, Eliza, Robert, Philip, Frederick, Archibald, Hlene; children deceased: Henry George and Anna Belle; scrip for $160.00; claim no. 324. Turner, Jane - Concerning her claim as a head of family - Address, Fort Saskatchewan - Born, 1846 at Manitoba - Father, Samuel Whitford, (Mtis) Mother, Mary Anderson, (Mtis) - Married, 1863 at Portage la Prairie to Joseph Alexander Turner - Children living, ten (names on declaration) - Scrip for $160 Claim 1182 Turner, Elizabeth Margaret - Concerning her claim as a child - Address, Fort Saskatchewan - Born, 27 May, 1865 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Joseph Alexander Turner, (Mtis) - Mother, Jane Whitford, (Mtis) - Claim 1185 Turner, Elizabeth Margaret; address: Fort Saskatchewan; born: 27 May, 1865 at Portage la Prairie; father: Joseph Alexander Turner (Mtis); mother: Jane Whitford (Mtis); married: 24 September, 1885 to Joseph Chabot at Fort Saskatchewan; children living: 1; scrip for $240.00; claim no. 219:. Turner, Mary Jane - Concerning her claim as a child - Address, Fort Saskatchewan - Born, 1863 at Portage la Prairie - Father, Joseph Alexander Turner, (Mtis) - Mother, Jane Whitford, (Mtis) - Scrip for 240 acres of land Claim 1183 Whitford, Francis. (b. 1835) Francis was the son of James Whitford Jr. and Mary Nancy Spence. He married Jane Jennie Anderson, the daughter of Thomas Anderson and Catherine Landry at St. Marys Portage la Prairie in 1859. The couple had twelve children. Whitford, James (1792-1872) James Whitford was the Metis son of James Peter Whitford (1766-1818) and Sarah (Indian). James married Mary Nancy Spence, the daughter of Magnus Spence and Christiana (Cree) on November 27, 1820 at St. Johns. His brother Peter was married to Nancys sister on the same day. The couple had eighteen children. From 1799 to 1810 James father was an Inland Trader for the Hudsons Bay Company in the York Factory District. He was probably born at Gordon House in the York Factory District. In 1810 James Jr. became an Apprentice Clerk with the HBC at Carlton House.

17

After the HBC and NWC amalgamation of 1821, the HBC began to downsize and large numbers of employees were retired and fired; James joined the class of the unemployed. He then relocated to Red River. James and his brother Peter both became Canoe Men at that time, requiring them to leave home. It was probably around 1817-18 that the rest of the family moved to Red River. In 1819 James Jr. spent his last year of HBC service back at Carlton House as a Labourer. He may have quit so that he could join his distraught widowed Sarah and his siblings at Birsay Village on the Assiniboine River. It was there that James and his brother Peter met, and began to romance the two eldest Spence girls, Nancy and Christie, the daughters of Magnus Spence the founder of Birsay Village. By mid-September of 1819, Birsay Village was abandoned and both the Spence and Whitford families moved east to the Kildonan area settlement along the Red River. Scrip affidavit for Whitford, James; wife: Mary Whitford (nee Robillard, Mtis and Deponent); died: April 16, 1872; father: James Whitford (Mtis); mother: Mary Spence (Mtis); heirs: widow and children: Mary (widow and deponent); Mary Anne, wife of Henry Charles Desmarais; Euphemia, wife of George Sanderson; James; William Rupert; Andrew; Peter Charles; John and Margaret; claim no: 2345; scrip no: 9685 to 9692; date of issue: May 8, 1876; amount: $160 Whitford, James Jr. (b. 1829) James was born at St. Andrews, the son of James Whitford Sr. and Mary Nancy Spence. He married Mary Robillard, the daughter of Peter Robillard and Margaret (Indian) on December 9, 1851 at St. Johns. The couple had ten children. Whitford, John. (b. 1846) John was the son of Peter Whitford and Christiana Spence. He married Jane Mary Tate, the daughter of William Tate and Mary Cree Bear in 1867 at Fort Victoria. The couple had ten children. Whitford, Magnus. (b. 1831) Magnus was the son of Peter Whitford and Christiana Spence. He married Sarah Spence in 1854 at St. Johns, then married Mary Beads, the daughter of John and Margaret Beads in 1862 at St. Marys. He had five children with Sarah Spence and six children with Mary Beads. Whitford, Peter. (b. 1795) Peter was born in 1795, the Metis son of James Peter Whitford (1766-1818) and Sarah (Indian). James married Christiana Spence, the daughter of Magnus Spence and Christiana (Cree) on November 27, 1820 at St. Johns. Peters brother James married Christianas sister on the same day.The couple had fouteen children.

18

Whitford, Peter. (b. 1836) Peter was born on September 27, 1836 at St. Johns the son of Peter Whitford Sr. and Christiana Spence (daughter of Magnus Spence and Christiana (Cree)). Peter first married LaLouise Chaboillez in 1853 at St. Peters then married Nancy (Indian). Whitford, Philip. (b. 1828) Philip was born circa 1828 at Swan River, the son of James Whitford Jr. and Mary Nancy Spence. He married Mary Mousseau in 1855 at Fairford, then married Rachel Bangs, the daughter of Arthur Bangs and Jessie Kepestah Cardinal in 1868 at Whitefish Lake. Whitford, Simon. (b. 1826) Simon was born in 1826, the son of Peter Whitford Sr. and Christiana Spence (daughter of Magnus Spence and Christiana (Cree). He married Maria Spence in 1849 and later married Frances Hope circa 1874 at Lac la Biche. Reference: Reverend A.C. Garrioch, First Furrows: A History of the Early Settlement of the Red River Country, including that of Portage la Prairie. Winnipeg: Stovel Company Ltd., 1924. Alfred Campbell Garrioch. (1848-1934) The Reverend Alfred C. Garrioch was born in Kildonan of Metis heritage. His father John was an Orcadian and his English-Metis mother was from York Factory. Alfreds mother, Eliza Campbell was the daughter of Colin Campbell, a Chief Factor for HBC Alfred studied at St. Johns College and obtained a degree in Theology in the early 1870s. His brother John Garrioch was one of the Portage la Prairie Gang that attempted to free Riels prisoners in February of 1870 and ended up being captured themselves. Alfred taught at St. Johns School from 1868-1871, then entered business. Alfred was ordained as a priest of the Anglican Church in 1875. A year later he was sent to the northwest as a missionary in the Peace River country. In 1874 he became a Church of England missionary at Fort Simpson, N.W.T., where he was ordained a deacon in 1876. His first assignment there was to establish a mission at Fort Vermilion, where he spent most of the next decade. In 1886, following his success at Vermilion, Garrioch was sent south to help revive the St. Saviour's mission in the community of Dunvegan, the birthplace of his mother. He translated various religious texts into the Cree and Beaver languages, and he also developed a reference guide for English, Cree and Beaver vocabulary. He was at Rapid City, Manitoba from 1892 to 1895 and then served at Portage La Prairie until 1908. He was an authority on the Cree and Beaver languages and is known

19

for writing Beaver-Cree-English dictionaries. He wrote First Furrows: River Country, Including That of Portage la Prairie in 1923 and The Correction Line in 1933 after his retirement from church activities.

20