SAN VICENTE FERRER PARISH CHURCH

(CALULUT, CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, PAMPANGA)

PAST

San Vicente Ferrer Parish’s main altar, 1950

Originally. . it is composed of 28 barangays from as far as Anao in Mexico to the east.PRESENT HISTORY The Parish of San Vicente Ferrer with its center in Brgy. Dolores to the south. Telabastagan to the north and a number of villages of San Fernando on the west side along McArthur Highway. Calulut was established in 1914.

there is a move. the Lord’s Ascension Parish was established in Dela Paz Sur. Some have become small-scale entrepreneurs with businesses ranging from hardware to sari-sari stores. with financing from big food processing companies. many tenants became small landowners. those who could afford took the gareta and calesa. Pinatubo in 1991 and its aftermath affected the boundaries of the parish. Mexico in 1941 and Our Lady of Remedies Parish in Brgy. which is now the seat of the Metropolitan. which included the western part of Sindalan.Before its canonical erection in 1914. that Barangay San Rafael. Other areas were converted into residential and industrial areas as well as memorial parks. A huge number are now employed in manufacturing firms and commercial establishments. leaving eight barangays under the parish. These events were well-attended social and ecclesiastical affairs. With the land reform program of the government in the 1970s. Adrian P. Calulut was under the jurisdiction of San Fernando Parish. This was further whittled down to six barangays with the erection of St. prompting the creation of the Personal Parish of the Good Shepherd in 1995. San Rafael and Malpitic. Fernando David was the vicar forane and it was well accepted by the three barangays. Bulaon. the present parish boundaries will further shrink to include only the whole of Brgy. Aside from the patronal fiesta. Malino. now Barangay Bulaon is already being catered to by the Parish of Good Shepherd ) Once this will be realized. These were. The eruption of Mt. this was experimented during the time when Fr. schools and government offices. There are professionals working in hospitals. In 1996. Most parishioners hiked from their village of origin. Bulaon. A sizeable resettlement community was established in Brgy.(During Fr. Actually. the lots were eventually sold and transformed into fishponds (cultured fish farms) and poultry farms. The growing number of the faithful led to the establishment of more parishes which were originally under its parochial care of San Vicente Ferrer by Archbishop Miguel O’Doherty. secondary parish feast is the “Fiestang Corazon” (Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus) on the 3rd Saturday of October. (Incidentally. he . Others relied on small farming lots for their income. In the past. The remaining barangays were Calulut (parish center). At present. However. St. Sindalan. Paule’s term. Augustine Parish in 1965. Baliti in 1943. Sindalan. Malpitic and Bulaon be joining the Parish of the Good Shepherd due to proximity. during the economic crunch of the 1980s. (That time we were still under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Manila). FESTIVALS San Vicente Ferrer’s feast day falls on the 5th of April. it was customary to bring the images of all village patron saints to the parish church during the patronal fiesta and the Christmas nine-day Misa de Gallo. The construction of farmto-market roads in the same period also facilitated the marketing of their products. Most of the parishioners then were tenants and farm workers who toiled in the sugarcane fields. Joseph Parish in Brgy. the Archbishop of Manila. Calulut and the eastern portion of Brgy. Dela Paz. The shift in land use resulted in a significant change in the residents’ means of livelihood.

Melencio Garcia (1942-1949). but since it is the Feast of all Saints and people are busy going to the cemetery to visit their loved ones. when Christ will come again. Fr. Artemio Pascual took charge of the parish. San Rafael to the Catholic faith. Santos (1914-1917). Fr. Casto Ocampo (1917-1919) was from the town of Sta. The parish priest who served longest was Msgr. The real date of the foundation anniversary is November 1. the promoter of the devotion wanted to “Christianize” the celebration of harvest thanksgiving. Casto Ocampo. He later became the Archbishop of Nueva Caceres in Bicol. Getulio Inggal (1932-1937). whose term was marked by his struggle with the Socialist Party in church affairs.) According to tradition. Santos (1951-1967).coincided the celebration of the Parish’ Foundation on the Fiestang Corazon. He will grant mercy to all as He revealed and promised through the Sacred Heart. He promoted the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Cofradia del Sagrado Corazon de Jesus. Jacinto Vergara (1924-1930). Restituto Canda (1950-1951). Aquilino D. Pedro Capati (1949-1950) and Fr. farm demonstrations. Rita in Pampanga. Pascual was succeeded by Fr. Odon T. which is the feast’s liturgical month.” He renovated the chalet-style rectory into a two-storey building. He also built a permanent stage on the church patio and installed the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in front of the church. Fr. Felipe Romero (1919-1924) and Fr. a decision was made to move the celebration. animal husbandry home . It was during his time that many mandated organizations were organized. He assured the faithful that when the Lord will one day make all things new. And since the celebration is proximate to the feast of Christ the King.” The second was achieved through vocational classes such as dressmaking and electronics. The first was done through the Cursillo which became popular as a Christian renewal movement. Fr. Pedro Paulo S. Unknown to many parishioners. He is best remembered for his dream for Calulut to be a “city. it will be like the harvest thanksgiving. Fr. Between 1930 and 1932. The latter is still remembered for the ritual of “Tenieblas”* during the evening of Holy Wednesday before the Holy Mass. Ordonez (1967-1976) made his mark on the parish with two things: his passion for spiritual renewal and his concern for the economic development of the parishioners. he wanted to instill in the minds of the people. and to him is attributed the annual celebration of Fiestang Corazon. He was followed by Rev. the harvest season was the reason why the feast is celebrated in thanksgiving on October instead of June. He allowed the use of the rectory as a Cursillo House where hundreds of parishioners went through a “reconversion. His brief tenure (due to ill health) is still remembered for bringing back many Aglipayans in Brgy. with the facade personally designed by him. Msgr. Fr. Lazaro Pineda (1937-1942) renovated the parish rectory. The first church edifice was constructed through his efforts. Fr. He was followed by Fr. PRIESTS The First parish priest was Fr.

piggery and poultry-raising. Canlas from 1984 to 1991. One parish priest whose memory is still very alive in the parish was Msgr. Canlas encouraged Scripture reading and reflection by organizing bible study and bible sharing groups. Patad/Mabalas was known as “Fatima”. even became a parish administrator from 1983 to 1984 during Msgr. Msgr. In hindsight. Canlas would go the rounds of each Coro to celebrate the Holy Eucharist. Msgr. Diwa (1991-1999) finished the construction.” His musical talents produced many liturgical songs that are still very popular. Msgr.D. Basilio succeeded Msgr. Once a month. New Barrio was “Del Carmen”. Fr. Gregorio L. It was during his incumbency that the construction of a new rectory and the renovation of the church building were initiated. Both projects became successful because of the support and cooperation of the Coros and concerned parishioners. In addition. Before he ended his term. Canlas introduced innovations and promoted active lay participation in liturgical celebrations. Msgr. Canlas also emphasized catechetical instruction for the young. D. identified by a Marian title. each of the four puroks of Calulut were organized into a Coro. Abelardo S. It must also be noted. Msgr. With the help of the Daughters of Charity. became his team minister in 1978-1979. Mallari. Fresh from travels abroad. High school students of Sindalan and Calulut had their catechism classes every Friday evening. Eugenio S. His stay in the parish was marked with what is now known as “The Golden Age of Kapampangan Liturgical Music. Msgr. With the sustained cooperation of the people. Canlas’ legitimate absence in the parish. and Pau was known as “Virgen de los Remedios”. Thus. He made catechetism classes a requirement in all elementary schools. it can be said that the experience was the parish’s precursor to building small ecclesial communities. He also introduced the Samahang Nayon and the Green Revolution program to the farmers. Msgr. The construction was about to finish when he was assigned to a new parish. The main feature of the Visita was the one-day visit of the image of the Miraculous Medal of the Virgin Mary to each member-family. Canlas facilitated the purchase of an additional cemetery lot. in which neighborhood families were organized into groups of thirty. he promoted the Visita Domicilliaria. The facade of the present church was designed and constructed during his term. Msgr. He organized volunteer catechists who were trained by professionals. Centro was “Lourdes”. All these were achieved with the assistance of various government agencies. Canlas (1976-1984). Mercado Jr.gardening. that during the middle of his term that an experiment on team ministry was initiated in the archdiocese. . Resurreccion G. Roberto C.

parishioners have been experiencing creative and meaningful pastoral activities leading towards the celebration of the parish’s 100th Foundation Anniversary. Bible. the St. Vital. Youth. though officially assigned as a university chaplain of Angeles University and a resident priest of Lourdes. Angeles City assists Fr. Since he began his term. Catechetical. Family & Life. With the phaseout of the Ilanz sisters in Calulut. He believes that the three ministries are constitutive dimension of any apostolate in the church. started his term in 1999 by reorganizing the Parish Pastoral Council and renovating the rectory. Paule’s ministry so far is his pastoral vision that is open to lay participation. instead of the three ministries of Formation. In the organizational chart. He envisioned the erection of a parochial school that will be built where the present church stands. Fr. Adrian Paulo Paule. Paul’s Novitiate (priests and brothers) and the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Ilanz has also helped in the pastoral development of the parish. the creation of a mini park. Now. Paule as a guest priest in the parish especially during Sundays and his legitimate absence. 2007 upon the approval of the Sabbatical leave of Fr. Joselito H. they are now negotiating the resettlement of some families squatting in the church property. already on its implementation. Parish Pastoral Plan II has also been drawn to continue what has been started and respond to the present needs of the parish. Fr. Highlights of this renewed pastoral outlook is the construction of the new parish church and the drawing up of an integrated parish pastoral renewal plan (I) where lay participation has been truly emphasized. Paule. the local congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of Remedies took over the apostolic endeavor started by the former.The presence of two religious congregations. The Present parish priest. Worship and Service. Together with the construction committee. he created six apostolates. namely. Joselito was installed as the Parish Administrator of San Vicente Ferrer Parish. Fr. Liturgical and Social Apostolates. But the biggest impact of Fr. mortuary and new convent as part of the site development of the parish church lot. This took effect on February 10. .

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful