This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
بسم ال الرحمن الرحيم – إن الحمد ل و الصلة و السلم على نبينا محمد و آله و أصحابه ً أما بعد
All praise be to Allah the Creator and Cherisher of the Universe and His Peace and Blessings be on his Slave and Servant Prophet Mohammad and family of prophet Mohammad and all companions of prophet Mohammad, After that: If we listen to enemies of Islam, the picture they present of our prophet is like one “Ruthless man, sitting on a throne, with unsheathed sword in his hands, his enemies are brought to him, one by one, he gives them only two choices, Islam or die”. Faced with naked sword and death in front of them, most of his enemies (cowardly by nature) “really had no choice but to become Muslims”. Using his sword and threats, he browbeaten his enemies into submission, and those who showed even the least resistance were put to death in cold blood. (Apart from being a fiction, was our prophet the "first one" to invent this ruthless tactic? Were not many before tried it and failed? How come our prophet became so successful that those whom he forced to convert remained Muslims after the sword was removed from their head?) But when we refer to the factual reports of the era, the picture is totally different. Every one knows that Prophet Mohammad was born in Makkah, though being born in a High Clan of Makkan tribe, and possessing a very likeable personality and a man known for his honesty and truth, he did not possessed any political or monetary power. When he started his mission, he was in absolute minority of one in Makkah; he had not even a single follower. When he started his mission, he and his immediate followers had to face a lot of hardship at the hands of Makkan people. There is not a single Muslim from Early or late Makkan period, who did not had to face persecution and extreme torture at the hands of Makkan people. If he was to use “sword” as a means of conversion, how could he won those early converts in Makkah period? Becoming Muslim in those days was putting your head on the block so to say. Muslims were persecuted and physically tortured to such a degree that, many had to leave their birthplace and take refuge in the country of Abyssinia, a feature which was strange for a “Clan based society” of Arabia of those days. Some people say, that prophet did not use force in Makkah period, but once he got some power in Medina, he started using force and torture and threat to get new converts.
People fail to realize that being Muslim in Early Medina period also was no less dangerous, Medina was a very small city and it was engulfed by Non Muslims in every direction. There was danger of outside attacks at any time, and in the battle fields, Muslim armies were always outnumbered by their enemies. How could prophet then rely on support from that “forced Muslims”, they would ditch him at critical situations and lead to defeat of Muslims. After saying all this, I conceded that prophet did have “Many Swords” which he used to “Slay his enemies” and “Make them his slaves for ever”!! Let us see, how many swords had he: 1. Sword of Truth (The Most Potent of All). 2. Sword of Reason and Logic. 3. Sword of Patience and Perseverance. 4. Sword of Compassion and Forgiveness. 5. Sword of Open-handedness and Charity. 6. Sword of Appreciation and Acknowledgement. 7. Sword of Equity and Justice. 8. And finally Sword of Steel, which he used very sparingly. Selecting and using proper sword at proper time, the Prophet was so successful in “Slaying and Capturing his bitterest enemies”. I have selected a few cases from that period to prove my point and I will present them before our “Friends” on this thread, whose only purpose is to malign the Noble Character of our prophet. And to complete the story I have selected some cases where No other Sword was effective so the prophet had to use the sword of steel.!! There are fifty cases in the first list and 12 cases in the second list. I have picked up these cases mostly from the book of "Companions of the Prophet" written by Abu Talib Hashmi of Pakistan and biographies of prophet written by Qadhi Sulaiman Mansoorpuri. This list is not exhaustive, many more cases of mercy of prophet and his use of human nature and how to use it properly could be found if we study Islamic literature of the earliest period.
If Muslims had stuck to the footsteps of their prophet and were as large hearted as our prophet, the present climate of hate and hatred and violence on Non Muslims and on Muslims would have been avoided. If this book is able to reduce this anti Islamic bias to any degree, I would assume that my purpose in collecting these stories is solved. I have used free hand translation in compiling these stories any errors and mistakes in translation and any grammatical errors are entirely mine. I seek forgiveness from Allah and then from readers to forgive me these mistakes and / or inform me, so I can make corrections. May Allah accept my humble efforts and cover me under His Mercy and Pardon. Amen M.U. Qidwai Jubail, Saudi Arabia 23rd Jan 2013
# 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 The Case of OMAR BIN KHATTAB ABU SUFYAN BIN HARITH IKRIMAH BIN ABU JAHL KAHLID BIN WALEED 'AMR BIN 'AUS ABDULLAH BIN SALLAM HIND BINT UTBAH ONE JEW IN MEDINA OLD WOMAN IN MAKKAH UTBAH BIN RABEA' UMAIR BIN WAHAB UDAI' BIN HATIM OF TAI' THUMAMA BIN ATHAL Page 10-13 14-16 17-19 20-23 24-26 27-29 30-32 33-34 34-35 36-38 39-41 42-45 46-47
# 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
The Case of URWAH BIN MASOOD SUHAIL BIN 'AMR ABU SUFYAN BIN HARB SAFWAN BIN UMAYYA WAHSHI THE ABYSSINIAN ZAHIR BIN HARAM ADDAS, A SLAVE FROM TAIF A BEDOUIN OF DESERT HUSAN BIN MUNDHIR A SALVE WOMEN BARRIAH THE SLAVE GIRL FUDHALA BIN UMAIR A YOUND MAN OF MEDINA BILAL AND ABU DHARR
Page 48-50 51-54 55-57 58-60 61-63 64-65 66 66-67 68-69 69 70 72-73 73 74-75
# 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
The Case of ABU BAKR AND OMAR A DRUNKARD OF MADINA AA BEDUION FROM DESERT MIQDAD BIN ASWAD ABU HURAIRRAH AND SUFFA SUWAID BIN THABIT ANSARS OF MEDIAN CAPTIVES OF HAWAZIN TUFAIL BIN 'AMR HABBAR BIN ASWAD HAMZA BIN A' MUTTALIB AYAS BIN M'AAZ ABU DHARR GHIFARI ABDULLAH BIN ABU UMAIYYAH
Page 75-76 77-78 78-79 80-81 81-82 82-83 84-86 87-88 88-89 90-91 92-94 95-96 96-97 98-99
# 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
The Case of ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH DUL BAJADIAN KAAB BIN MALIK HAMZA'S DAUHTER ABD YALAIL OF TAIF BAREED BIN HASB ZAID BIN SAN'A THE JEW SURAQA BIN MALIK ZAID BIN HARITHA THE "ADOPTED SON" OF PROPHET
Page 100-101 101-102 103-107 108-110 111-112 113 113-114 115-116 117-120
THOSE WHO CHOSE "OTHER SWORD" # 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 The Case of ABDULLAH BIN UBAI MARBAH BIN QAIDHI KAAB BIN ASHRAF UQBAH BIN ABI MU'EET NADHAR BIN HARITH UBAI' BIN KHALAF IBN KHATTAL TWO SINGING GIRLS OF MAKKAH ABU AMIR THE REBELLIOUS ABU LAHAB MUSIALMAH THE BIG LIAR JEWS OF BANI QURAIDAH Page 121-124 125-126 127-129 130-131 131-132 132-133 134-135 135-136 136-137 138-140 141-144 145-152
1.The Case of : OMAR BIN KHATTAB BIN NOUFEL, the 2nd Caliph of Islam.
A. Early History: Omar, the famed second Caliph of Islam was from the ADI clan of Makkah, he was a known warrior of Makkah, very brave, very outspoken, a man of infinite resolute and firmness. His family was responsible for solving “Inter clan” disputes in conflicts, so he had much interaction with people of different tribes of Arabia, before prophet declared his mission. His Uncle Zaid Bin Noufel, was one of the group, which is called “Haneef”, i.e. ones who had stopped worship of idols and kept them aloof from religious life of Makkan people. Both Omar and his father Khattab were unhappy with Zaid and used to ridicule him openly. When prophet declared his mission, Omar became one of his staunchest enemies. He used to torture those who had become Muslims. He was in that state for first 8 years of Prophet’s mission in Makkah and he witnessed as a non believer, muslims migration to Abyssinia…..the scene touched his heart….so many people leaving their homeland for the sake of their faith….there must be some thing in it, he thought. B. How did prophet “slay” him: One night prophet prayed to Allah, “I beseech you to strengthen Islam with either Omar or ‘Amr (Abu Jahl)…”. Not long after that, Omar came out of his house with unsheathed sword in his hand and moving in the direction of house where Prophet used to teach his followers. “Where are you going, Omar” some one asked him “I am going to Kill Mohammad and end this trouble once for all” said Omar. “First you should take care of your own house, before going to kill Mohammad, do you know , your sister and her husband have both become Muslims” he said to Omar. Omar was stunned with this news, he immediately changed his route and went to his sister’s house. He listened Quran being recited from inside, he knocked the door with force and when his brother in law opened it, he started beating him…..when his sister tried to save her husband, Omar slapped her with force, and her nose started bleeding. His sister said Loudly “Yes Omar, we have become Muslims, do what you can!!”.
Omar felt ashamed by seeing blood running on face of her sister, his anger was gone and he asked “show me what you were reading”…..He was shown one chapter of Quran and when he read, his doubts vanished. He went straight to prophet and became Muslim, his conversion pleased prophet and Muslims very much, because they have won to their side, one strong pillar of strength. C. His Life with Prophet: Omar soon became a trusted companion of prophet and he was with prophet for remaining period of his Makkan and Medina period. He was with prophet in all battles and was consulted by prophet in every major issue. His stature amongst all companions of prophet was next only to Abu Bakr, the first Caliph. Prophet trusted him intimately and sent him on many missions, his knowledge about Islam and its legal and ritual system increased with each passing day. Prophet was extremely happy with him and on more than one occasion predicted that he will enter paradise. D. With First Caliph: When prophet dies in year 11 AH, Omar was instrumental in installing Abu Bakr as First Caliph and saw to it that no dispute took place amongst Muslims. He was most trusted companion of Abu Bakr in the difficult period of Muslim nation after the death of Prophet. With infinite resolution of Abu Bakr and strong support by Omar and other Companions , internal strife was soon overcome. Abu Bake then decided to take head on “The two super powers of that age” Iran and Byzantine both at the same time. He dispatched armies to both directions. During his short life time of two years, most of Iraq was freed from Iran and some portion of Syria was taken from Roman empire…..but the battles were far from over. E. As second Caliph: On his death bed, Abu Bakr Nominated Omar to be his heir…..when he became Caliph ….he started the mission which Abu Bake had started. During his reign of 12 years, Iran was crushed as a Superpower….whole of Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, and Egypt were added to Islamic nation. Omar personally took the keys of City of Jerusalem from Christians.
In very short period of ten years, Omar became the ruler of Biggest Land Nation…..the size of country does not matter much, it was his justice , fair play and impartiality that places him amongst the most able rulers of the world. His life history as ruler of Muslim state, is exemplary and guide lamp for Muslims of all ages. He was martyred after 12 years of leading Muslim nation as Caliph and was buried along side Prophet and Abu Bakr….the “Best Honor” that he wished in this life!! Such is the wonderful story of Omar, who was “slain” by the “Prayer of prophet”!!
2. The Case of : MUGHAIRAH (ABU SUFIYAN) BIN HARITH BIN A’ MUTTALIB
A: Background: He was the real first cousin of our prophet, and the one which was sucked by the same woman (Halima Saa’dia). He was of the same age as our prophet and was very close to our prophet before he proclaimed his mission. He was very good looking and was very much similar to the prophet in built and appearance. He was a good warrior as well as a very good orator and e very accomplished poet. Due to this close family ties and their childhood friendship, prophet expected that he would be amongst the first to believe in his message, but he was shocked to see that this Mughirah, not only rejected his mission but became his bitterest enemy. He would not leave any opportunity to ridicule and make fun of Islam and Muslim and even the personality of our prophet. He would use his poetic skills against prophet and write couplets ridiculing message of prophet. On one occasion, he even tried to spat on the face of prophet and said “ I would not believe in you, untill you bring down Gabriel from heaven and four other angels, and they testify that you are prophet of God….even then I doubt that I will believe in you”!! The prophet was very saddened by seeing his cousin and long time friend speaking like this, but he bore the insult with grace and did not reply back. B: The Tide turns: After spending 13 years at Makkah, prophet had to flee to Medina and series of battles took place between him and Makkan. This Abu Sufiyan was always present in the rank of armies and would fight for their cause. However after 8 years of warfare, it was evident that Makkan were no match for the skills and force of our prophet and fall of Makkah was eminent. The news came to Mughairah that prophet is going to attack Makkah soon with a big army. He knew what would happen to him, if he came in the hands of prophet, he said to his wife “That let us fled Makkah before Prophet’s armies capture Makkah, because they will not leave me alive” His wife told him “Woe to you, don’t you see how every one is accepting his faith, you should have done this long ago, it is best if you go and seek his pardon” So he took his young son with him and went to Medina….when prophet saw him, he turned his face away, he came from that direction and faced prophet, prophet again turned his face from his direction..
He asked Um Salima , wife of prophet , to ask pardon from his prophet on his behalf, she agreed and said to prophet “O prophet of Allah, wont you forgive son of your uncle?” “And what sort of a son of uncle has he been so far” said the prophet “How much have I suffered at his hands?” Dejected, Mughirah declared that he will go into desert, with his son and they would both die in the desert with thirst and hunger……when prophet heard this resolve, he had mercy on him and ask him to turn back. Thereupon he declared his faith and became a true disciple of prophet. C: As a Muslim: He was very conscious of his past behaviour to prophet and he never ever even eyed the prophet with full looks always lowering his gaze when he came in presence of prophet. He tried to compensate for his earlier behaviour, by engaging in long prayers during days and nights, till prophet was convinced of his sincerity and praised him before people. He used his poetic skills to write couplet in praise of prophet now. In the battle of Hunain which came just after conquest of Makkah, when the fighting became very severe and many Muslims fled, he was the one along with Abbas who were holding the mount of prophet. Such was the Sword of Prophet which Killed Mughirah for ever and ever!
3. The Case of : IKRIMAH BIN ABU JAHL BIN HISHAM OF MAKHZOOM TRIBE
A. Early History: Ikrimah was the son of Most Hateful of all enemies of Makkan enemies of our prophet. His father was Famous Abu Jahl, who was avowed enemy of prophet. Both father and son were hardcore enemies of prophet during his stay in Makkah. His father used to physically torture early Muslims and he even killed the first two earliest Muslims slaves in Makkah. Ikrimah , was young, warrior and an accomplished youth of Makkah. But he inherited the enmity of prophet from his father. When his famed father was killed in the famous Battle of Badr, his hatred for Islam and Prophet only went on high gear. B. After death of His father: In the battle of Ohud, he took part in the battle and was incharge of the one flank of front cavalry section of Makkan army. When the tide of battle turned against Muslims, he and Khalid were the reason for that turn. He took part in the Battle of Trenches that took place in 5AH, and he was at the rear of Makkan retreating army, to protect it from being attacked. When prophet conquered Makkah in 8 AH, Ikrimah was the one, who attacked one of Muslim army’s division, he fled after loss of 7 or so dead. C. How did prophet “slay” him: Due to his crimes against Muslim, Prophet did not name Ikrimah in the general amnesty which he extended to most of Makkah people. Ikrimah fled Makkah, fearing for his life and boarded a ship to take him to Abyssinia. While he was in ship, a storm engulfed the ship….Ikriamah beseeched his idols , Lat and Uzzah for deliverance….his companions of ship told him “In these situations, Lat and Uzzah are of no help…..you should call on Allah only, He alone can give you deliverance”!! Ikrimah was shocked to hear this, He said “that is what the Prophet is preaching, how fool I was all these days, if I am safe from this storm, I will go and accept his faith” Meanwhile his wife approached prophet and said “My husband has fled Makkah in fear of his life, will you grant him pardon also, prophet agreed to her request and asked her to bring him back, he gave her, his turban as a sign for pardon.
His wife found her returning husband, and they came to prophet, on seeing Ikrimah, prophet rose from his seat and embraced him, Ikrimah accepted Islam and became a true Muslim. D. His life after Islam: In order to save him embarrassment, prophet told his companions, that no one should criticize his father, when he is around. He was a warrior and very good soldier with leadership skills. Prophet used him on many missions and after his death, Abu Bakr, the first Caliph used him in all major battles to curb internal strife in Arabia, after death of prophet. He took part in the famous Battle of Yamamah against false prophet Muslaimah. He also took part in Iraqi campaigns. During the reign of Second Caliph Omar, he was part of Muslim army in the famous battle of Yarmouk. He was leading one faction of army along with Khalid bin Waleed. The Muslim army was outnumbered atleast one to five in that battle and fighting continued for three days and more. When Muslim armies were feeling too much pressure, Ikrimah stood up and said “I have faought many battles against the prophet and never turned my back, how can I turned my back against these unbelievers? Who will take a pledge of Death with me?” Four hundred of his fellows took the pledge and they attacked enemies and turned the tide against them, they all died in the battle field one after other, including Ikrimah!! Dying Ikrimah was brought to the commander Khalid bin Waleed, who gave him water and took his head on his lap and said “you fulfilled the pledge which you took to the prophet”. Such was Ikrimah, whom prophet “Killed using his Sword”!!
4. The Case of : KHALID BIN WALEED BIN MUGHAIRAH, ‘SWORD OF ALLAH’
A. Early History: He was son of Waleed bin Mughiarah, a well known chief of Makkah. His father was a very wealthy person and had position of importance in Makkah. He brought up Khalid and other sons, with lot of care and diligence. Khalid soon became a very accomplished soldier and military strategist. His Mother was the sister of one of prophet’s wives, so the prophet was also his uncle my marriage. When prophet declared his mission, his father became one of its staunchest enemies. Khalid followed his father, but he never took part in any abuse or physical excesses against prophet or his followers. But one of his brother, Waleed accepted Islam and migrated to Medina. Khalid meanwhile pursued his military career in Makkah. B. His Fights against Prophet: Khalid took part in all battles which Makkan had against prophet. In fact it was his strategy, in the Battle of Ohud, that turned tide against Muslims and turned their early victory into defeat. Khalid was very watchful of battle field’s changing situations and when he saw that Muslim archers have vacated a strategic location, he used that situation to attack Muslims from behind, thereby pinning them from both directions. In battle of Trenches, he protected retreating Makkan army from being attacked from rear. In the treaty of Hudaibiah, it was Khalid’s Cavalry that forced Prophet to change his course and reach outskirt of Makkah from a unfrequented route. C. How did prophet “slay” him: When prophet came to Makkah in year 7AH to perform Umrah, Khalid left Makkah so as to not see the prophet. Prophet enquired about him and said “How strange is that a good and reasonable person like Khalid is away from Islam”. His brother wrote to him, saying that prophet said such things and asked him not to delay Islam any more. Now Khalid started thinking about Islam and its message and got convinced of its truth. He decided to go to Medina to accept Islam, when he left Makkah, on the way he met two other Makkan youth, Amr bin Aus and Othman bin Talha…..they came to prophet and seeing the prophet said “Makkah has sent its jewels to you”.
Khalid accepted Islam on the hands of prophet and he asked his companions to teach him about Islam and its teachings. D. His life After Islam: Prophet used military brilliance of Khalid, by sending him along with Muslim army to battle of Mautta, in 8 AH, when first three commanders of Muslim armies were martyred, Khalid took the charge and brought them to safety. Prophet used Khalid in all military actions for remaining period of his life and it was prophet who gave him the title “Sword of Allah”. Khalid said “Prophet used to love me very much from the day I became Muslim and treat me same as his other companions” Real Military genius of Khalid became evident after death of prophet. He can rightly be called as one of the Best Commanders and Strategist of Battle. His exploits and tactics have won praise from his friends and foe alike. From the day one, Abu Bakr the First Caliph had full confidence in the competence of Kahlid as a Military commander. He dispatched him as commander in every critical and important situations. He took part in most crucial battles that arose due to internal strife caused by the death of prophet. He took part in critical battles against false prophets and those who rebelled against the government. After ensuring Internal peace, Abu Bakr sent Kahlid to lead Muslim armies in Iraq against Iranian Empire. In mere 12 months, Khalid took part in more than 15 battles and was always victorious. He never lost any battle. And within one year captured whole of Iraq for Muslims for ever. After one year in Iraq, Abu Bakr, asked him to go to Syria and take part in fight against Byzantine Empire and help Muslim armies present there. In Syria also Khalid proved himself to be a military genius and helped capture all important cities of Syria including Palestine and Damascus. His victory in the famed Battle of Yarmouk, proved the death kneel for Byzantine rule in Syria for ever. He was present when the city of Jerusalem was handed over by Christians to Omar, the second Caliph.
F. Deposition of Khalid: It seems incredible, but Omar had Khalid deposed twice, first he lowered his rank from Commander in chief to Section Commander….and after four years from Commander to ordinary soldier. It speaks good for nature of Khalid as well as “supreme writ” of Omar that he was able to enforce this decision. In the end Khalid, “ the Best and Most famous Military Commander of Early Muslim army” faced his death not on battle field, but in his house!! G. Why is Khalid called “Sword of Allah”? This question was asked from Khalid itself during one of his Byzantine Military campaign. Once just when the action was about to start, one Military Commander from enemy ranks came forward to meet Khalid and said: “I have a question to ask, reply to me honestly” “OK, ask what you want” said Khalid “Is it true that your prophet received a sword from Heaven and gave it to you” Asked his enemy “No it is not the case, when prophet started his mission, I was his bitter enemy….finally Allah convinced me of the truth of Islam and I went to prophet and accepted his Islam……then he said of me “Khalid is one of the Sword of Allah from His swords, which He has unleashed on Disbelievers” From that day, My nick name has become “Sword of Allah” Such was Khalid bin Waleed one of the “Victim of Sword of Prophet”!!
5. The Case of : ‘AMR BIN AUS BIN WAEL "CONQUERER OF EGYPT"
A. Early History: Amr bin Aus is another Military and Administrative genius of early Muslims. He was from the SAHM clan of Makkah. His father was a very rich and influential tribal chief of Makkah. He held the position of “settling disputes” amongst people and clans. When prophet declared his mission, his father opposed the message with his full might. He was one of the bitterest critic of prophet and many verse in Quran depict his spiteful nature. Amr followed his father in opposing Islam, but one of his brother accepted Islam in the very beginning. He was forced to migrate to Abyssinia when torture of Makkans broke all bounds. Makkan dispatched Amr as head of mission to get the fugitives back from Abyssinia, his mission was unsuccessful, but it shows his position and resourcefulness to take such missions. Amr fought against prophet as part of Makkan army, though we do not find much information about his parts in the hostilities. B. How did prophet “slay” him: After treaty of Hudaibiyah, Amr started thinking about Islam and its message, the more he thought about it, the more reasonable it looked. Untill he decided to go to Medina and become a Muslim. He left Makkah for Medina and on the way, met Khalid bin Waleed and Othman bin Talha, and found that they also had same purpose. On seeing them in Medina prophet told “Makkah has sent his Jewels to you”!! Amr told prophet that he want to have a pledge of Islam on the hands of prophet. When prophet put forward his hands Amr withdrew his!! “What is this Amr” prophet asked “I want to have a condition” said Amr “What is it” Asked prophet “I have fought many battles against you, I want you to assure me that Allah with forgive my past sins” said Amr “Don’t you know, Amr, that Islam demolishes all sins before it?” Said the prophet and he took the pledge.
C. After becoming Muslim: Prophet used his military genius and negotiating skills, by sending him to many important and secret missions. Prophet used to trust him very much and used many praiseworthy words about him. On the part of Amr, he said “I was so ashamed of my past behaviour, that I never once looked prophet with full looks after I became Muslim, If some one asks me, how he looked, I will not be able to describe him” After death of Prophet, Abu Bakr the First Caliph, used Amr bin Aus in many battles inside Arabia. He made him Commander of the Army that was sent to Capture Palestine. Amr bin Aus captured all important cities of Palestine and was present in the conquest of Damascus and Jerusalem. D. Amr bin Aus and Capture of Egypt: It is his greatest achievement, that with a army of only four thousand soldiers, he single handedly captured the whole of Egypt, Sudan and went right upto the borders of Morocco, Algeria and Tunis. Many volumes could be written about his military genius and skills as to how he captured such a vast country with so little resources. Later he was made Governor of Egypt by Omar, the second Caliph and he ruled that country with good skills and was very popular with the local population. He lived many years after prophet and died during the Caliphate of Muayia. Such was Amr bin Aus, one of the Victim of “Sword of our prophet!!”
6. The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN SALLAM, JEWISH SCHOLAR Of Madina
A. His Position in Medina Abdullah bin Sallam was a well known and well respected Jewish scholar of Medina. Jews and other residents of Medina respected him and came to him, when there was any need of getting religious clarifications on any issue. Abdullah was Scholar of Jewish Scriptures and he spent his time in studies and pondering over religious issues. When prophet migrated to Medina, Abdullah was caught in a Dilemma. His studies of Jewish scriptures had convinced him, that one last prophet had to come into the world. Who it would be, he was not sure, there were signs and some of the attributes of that prophet mentioned in his Scriptures, most of them fit the New Prophet. B. Abdullah Tests the Prophet: But he was not sure, he wanted to test the prophet as to source of his divine knowledge. One day he came to meet the prophet when he was alone and said to prophet, I want to ask you three questions, no one knows the answers to them except a true Messenger of God, so please answer them, the questions were: 1. What is the first sign of “start of Last day”? 2. What will be the first food of those who will enter Paradise. 3. And why the Child sometimes resembles Father and some times he resembles Mother? Prophet answered all the three questions, and Abdullah was satisfied with the answer and he declared his faith. Prophet told, that I did not knew the answer of these questions, Gabriel came just know and gave me the answers. C. Abdullah tests Jews: Abdullah said to prophet, please do not tell others about my conversion now . Call Leaders of Jews and ask them about me, I will hide behind this curtain, so they will not be able to see me. The Prophet called all Leaders of Jews of Medina and asked “What is position of Abdullah bin Sallam amongst you”? “He is our Leader, one of our Best man and son of our Best man, we do not find any thing but good in him” They replied with one voice. “What would you say, if he became Muslim” Asked the Prophet. “God Forbid, that he leave the Path of Moses and choose this New Path” said the Jews.
On hearing this, Abdullah came out from the curtain and said “You All be witness that I have accepted Islam and become a Muslim”!! Jews rushed out of the Prophet’s House saying “He is the Worst amongst us, son of the Worse man and his opinion counts for nothing with us”!! Such was Abdullah bin Sallam, another Victim of Sword of Knowledge of our prophet!!
7. The Case of : HIND BINT UTBAH BIN RABEAH (THE ONE WHO TRIED TO CHEW LIVER OF HAMZA THE UNCLE OF PROPHET)
A. Early History: She was the daughter of Utbah bin Rabeah, one of the Chiefs of Makkah. She was wife of Abu Sufian, another Chief of Makkah and she was the mother of Muawiah , Fifth Caliph of Islamic state. So from every angle her was a dignified position. When prophet declared his mission in Makkah, both her father Utbah and her husband Abu Sufian became staunch enemies of Islam. She inherited hatred of Islam from both directions and was enemy of Islam by any standard. When prophet migrated to Medina and the first battle took place between Makkan and Muslims at the place of Badr, her husband was leading the Trade Caravan, which was one reason for the battle. Her father was head of Makkan army. Her father, her uncle and her brother (Utbah, Shaibah and Waleed) were the first three Makkan who were killed in individual combats, before the general fighting started. They were killed by Hamzah, prophet’s Uncle, Ali, Prophet’s cousin and Ubaidah, prophets cousin. These three deaths of close family members at the hands of so close relatives of prophet, made her almost mad with rage. B. Hind and the Battle of Ohud: This battle which took place in 3AH was to take the revenge for the battle of Badr. In this battle, Hind was leading groups of Makkan women that were singing battle songs and encouraging their men to fight. Hind devised a plan to kill Hamzah, the uncle of prophet, who had killed her father and brother at Badr. She told one Abyssinian slave that if he killed Hamzah, he would be set free. The slave looked for Hamzah and finding an opportunity, killed him with his lance. When news reached Hind, she found the corpse of Hamzah, cut his nose and ears and hung them as garland around her neck…..then she opened his stomach and took out the liver….she tried to chew it, but spat after a few bites. And she left the corpse of Hamzah in that condition in the battle field. Following her action, other Makkan women disfigured corpses of other martyred Muslims. When prophet saw the condition of his uncle’s body after the end of battle, he was extremely pained….he vowed to do the same to copses of unbelievers, but was told by God to refrain from it. This incident shows the spiteful nature and passion of that great woman!!
C: How did prophet “slay” her: When prophet captured Makkah in 8 AH, he announced a general amnesty to all Makkah people. Abu Sufian had accepted Islam just days before capture of Makkah, prophet gave him amnesty and told that any one who will take refuge in his house will be granted amnesty. After order was restored, prophet took the pledge of Islam, from every one in Makkah, first men and when no one was left…he took the pledge from women also. Hind, also appeared before prophet, disguised so that she might not be recognized and the following dialogues took place: “I will worship Allah and will make no partners with him” Said the prophet “I accept this” said Hind “I will not commit adultery or fornication” said prophet “Can any honorable women do such things” said Hind “I will not kill my children” said the prophet “We raise them and then you kill them” said Hind “Are you Hind” asked the prophet? “Yes” replied Hind “I will not steal” said the prophet “I take some money from Abu Sufian’s purse because he is miser, is it also stealing” said Hind “If you take what suffice you and your children , then it is OK” said the prophet. So the pledge was taken and Hind said “O prophet of Allah, when I came here, no face was more disagreeable to me than your face and now it is most beautiful of All faces” said Hind Such was Hind daughter of Utbah, one of the victims of “sword” of our prophet!!
8. The Case of : One Jew in Medina 9. The Case of : One old Woman of Makkah
8. The Case of : One Jew in Medina His name is mentioned in Islamic books of history, he was a wealthy Jew in Medina, he wanted to test the perseverance and patience of the prophet, and was looking for some suitable opportunity to arise. Once prophet had to borrow some money from him, to meet some immediate need. He gave the money and the period of repayment of due was fixed. While there were still some days remaining for the grace period, he approached Prophet, while he was teaching a group of his companions, including Omar Bin Khattab. The Jew addressed prophet like this “O Mohammad, when will you repay my due? I know the clan of Hashim, they are never true to their trust, it seems you will never return my money”. His companions were stunned by the tone and charge of the Jew, Omar stood up and said “O enemy of Allah, do you not realize, to whom you are speaking? O prophet of Allah, allow me and I will kill him”. “Omar calm down” said the prophet, “You should have spoken with justice, you should have asked me to pay my debt, and you should have asked him to be polite in his demand” “Now you go and pay him the dues” said Prophet to Omar “And give him some more, because of the anxiety which you caused him” The Jew came back some time later with money and said to prophet “I only wanted to test your patience, I am now convinced of your faith, I declare my faith and become Muslim, and this money, I give in charity in the cause of Allah” This is story of Jew who was slain by the “Sword of Patience”!! 9. The Case of : One old Woman of Makkah Old women are very steadfast in their religion and faith. It is not easy for them to change their religion or faith easily and they look with contempt on any one who tries that. This is impression of any one who has experience is propagation of faith. There was an Old women in Makkah, who was very firm in the faith of Makkan people, when she came to know that our prophet is condemning that faith and had started a “New religion”……she started hating our prophet with extreme hatred. It so happened that The Woman, was residing on the first floor of the house and prophet had to walk by her house, when he used to go out for any business.
The woman kept watch and whenever prophet will walk under her balcony, she would throw dust and garbage on his head, under the pretext of cleaning her house and balcony. Prophet would move away, cleaning his hairs and clothes from the dirt. It so happened that once three days passed and nothing was thrown from that balcony. On fourth day, prophet became curious, he went up the stairs and knocked at the door. He found the old woman sick and with fever and no one to take care for her. The prophet consoled her, and gave her some water and went to bring some medicine for her. When prophet was returning from the house, the Old woman called him back and said “I was so wrong about you and your message, I now repent and accept your faith” With that she declared Islamic Creed “I witness that there is no deity except Allah and Mohammad is His Messenger”!! Such is the case of another enemy of prophet “slain” by the “Sword of Kindness”
10. The Case of : UTBAH BIN RABEEAH, CHIEF OF ONE MAKKAN CLAN
A. Utbah ‘s position in Makkah Utbah was a much respected Chief of one of the Makkah Clans. His words and his position mattered very much with the Makkah pagans. He knew the prophet from the very childhood and when prophet declared his mission, he did not accept it. He was one of leading members of those who were opposing prophets, but he never used physical force or foul language when talking and dealing with prophet. He can be called as “one of Civil Adversaries” of prophet in Makkah. The elders of Makkah used to gather together and think as to how to counter this “new and strange menace” which “This Prophet of God” has brought upon Makkah and its people. They were seeing that one by one, number of his followers were increasing and when one becomes his follower, it was neigh impossible to bring him back. No amount of physical force or abuses or taunts would bring any of those people back. Countering Prophet and his message was always a ready and hot topic with these chiefs and elders of Makkah. One day, Utbah told, the assembly, “I think, you should depute me as your representative to go and come to some solution with Mohammad” “Please do so Abu Waleed (Respected nick name of Utbah and an Arabian custom still valid today) may be your reasoning will solve the problem. We have full confidence in you” They said with one Voice. B. Utbah Reasons with Prophet: Utbah came to prophet and started like this “O son of my brother, your people have send me as their representative to talk to you, please do not interrupt me and listen to my offer fully” “Yes , Abu Waleed, say what you want to say” Replied the prophet “You know, we had very high hopes on you, you were born in a very noble family….and now you have brought a calamity on your city, which no one was ever able to do it before” Utbah started “Because of you, now every house stands divided, sons and fathers, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, brothers and brothers, they stand divided….I do not know what you want to achieve by all this” “I have three proposals before you, if you wanted by this leadership of Makkah, we will choose you our Leader and King with one voice……If you want wealth, we will give you enough wealth , so you will become wealthiest man in all Arabis…..if you want to marry any beautiful woman of Arabia, we will marry you to most beautiful and esteemed woman of your choice……and if you are suffering from any illness, which you are
unable to cure….we will try to get your cure by calling best medicine men in whole of Arabia” Ended Utbah “Are you finished Abu Waleed” said the prophet, “Yes, “ replied Utbah C. Prophet’s Reply: “Now listen to my reply” Said prophet (Unsheathing his Sword of Quran) and started reciting from Quran “HA MIM. A revelation from (Allah) Most Gracious, Most Merciful, A book whereof the verses are explained in detail; a Quran in Arabic for people who understand ; Giving good news and admonition: yet most of them turn away and so they hear not……..” (Ch 41:1-15) Prophet kept on reciting and Utbah was listening like one mesmerized…When he reached verse no 15 (Warning), he put his hand on the mouth of prophet and said “Stop, it is enough” “Now you have heard my reply” said the prophet. Utbah came back to his people, walking as one who is intoxicated…after taking some rest, he said “If you take my advise, you leave this man alone, if he is successful, it will be success for us too, and if he fails and is killed by others, we will be absolved of shedding his blood” “I think, Utbah has also come under his spell’ Said Abu JAHL! D. End of Utbah: Utbah did not become Muslim, he was chosen as leader of Makkan army that went to fight at Battle of Badr in year 2 AH…..he tried his best to avoid the battle…..when the Quraish Caravan passed danger zone unharmed… But Abu Jahl, did not listen to him and accused him of getting impotent and coward…..this insult infuriated Utbah very much and to prove his Power he came forward along with his brother Shaibah and his Son Waleed to demand one by one combat with Muslims. Utbah was Killed by Hamzah, the Uncle of Prophet. Waleed was killed by Ali, the cousin of Prophet. Sahaibah was killed By Obidah, cousin of prophet and Ali and Hamzah So three of the best warriors of Makkah were slain even before the main battle started. Such is the story of Utbah who was injured but not slain by the sword of prophet (and he met his send with the steel sword)!!
11. The Case of : UMAIR BIN WAHAB AL JUMHI
Umair was from the clan of Bani Jumh of Makkah, he was amongst those who used to oppose the prophet and Muslims in Makkah. He remained enemy of Islam during the stay of prophet in Makkah and when prophet fled to Makkah, his opposition to Islam was not diminished any more. When the Battle of Badr took place in year 2 AH and the pride of Makkan was smashed and they lost most prominent of its leaders and warriors…..whole Makkah was engulfed in gloom. There was not a single clan, which had not suffered one or more causality. Umair was captured during the battle of Badr, he beseeched prophet to have mercy on him and release him without any taking any money, as he was poor and cannot pay any ransom money. Prophet took mercy on him and released him without any ransom. One day after the Battle of Badr, Umair and Safwan the son of Umaaiyah, were sitting in the Hateem (a portion of Kaabah) and discussing the situation. “Life is not worth living after Badr” said Safwan, “I wished there was some way, in which I could take my revenge”. “I have a fool proof plan to assassinate the prophet” said Umair “But I have a large debt and my children are still small” “I will pay your debt, and will treat your children as my children till my death” said Safwan “what is your plan?” “I know that Mohammad does not keep any personal body guards” Said Umar “I will poison my dagger with a very potent poison and go to Mohammad to discuss release of our captives, and then seeing an opening, I will injure him with dagger, he will not be able to survive the poison”. So Umair left for Medina and Safwan was very happy, he kept telling fellow Makkan to be ready to receive some good news shortly. Umair reached Madina, Omar saw him coming and took immediate alarm , He bound him with his own garment and brought him to prophet “This Dog of Satan, has come but with some evil intent” he said to the prophet. “Omar release him” said the prophet, and when Umair came near him, he asked what was his purpose. “I came to seek release of such and such captives” said Umair “And what about the matter which you and Safwan discussed in Hateem” asked the prophet.
Umair was stunned, no one knew of the plot except him and Safwan, how did prophet came to know, surely he must have some other source of information. He was immediately convinced of the truth of prophet and accepted Islam then and there. Now Safwan was awaiting good news from Madina, when “Good News” reached to him that Umair had become Muslim, he said “I never want to see his face again in my life”!! (Later the Same Safwan was slain by the “Sword of Prophet” after conquest of Makkah in 8AH) Such is the story of Umair Bin Wahab, who was “Slain” by the “Sword of Unseen Information” of Prophet!!
12. The Case of : UDAY BIN HATIM OF TAI
A. Early History: Uday was the son of Hatim, the well known man of Charity of Tai tribe living in Yemen of Arabian peninsula. After death of his father, he was chosen to lead his tribe. They had accepted Christianity and were one of few Arabian Tribes that were Christians. He had a sister, whom he loved very much and they had a very close bond between them. After conquest of Makkah, prophet sent his disciples to preach Islam in all parts of Arabia including Yemen. The tribes tried to resist them by force and prophet had to send a Small Muslim army to Yemen to subdue those who were fighting with Muslims. In the same scenario, there was fighting between Muslims and Tai tribe, in which Muslims were victorious, Uday had to flee from the battle field and his Sister, whom he loved very much was captured by Muslims and brought to Madina as a Captive of War. B. Uday’s Sister’ trial in Madina: It was customary for Captives of War to be taken as slaves and distributed amongst Muslims, on hearing this, Uday’s Sister went to prophet and said: “ You know, I am the daughter of Hatim Tai, the famous Man of Charity of Arab. This misfortune fell on me and my brother, who loved me most has fled, leaving me unprotected and destitute. If you will set me free, you will do an extreme act of Kindness” On hearing her story, prophet set her free. She asked prophet that she be sent back to her people. People called two young men of Madina, gave them provisions of journey and asked them to drop this women to their people. Prophet also gave some money and gifts to the lady. C. Sister Confronts Uday: On reaching to her people, the sister went for search of Uday and after finding him, hidden with some people, remonstrated him, for leaving him at the mercy of enemies. Uday was much ashamed and apologized to her. After some time, he asked as to her Madina journey, the sister recounted her story and urged Uday to go to Madina without wasting any time. She recounted how the Prophet had been kind to her and set her free and even gave her mount, security and some gifts also. She told how, on her journey back, the two young Muslims, did not even once looked at her, during such long journey and she reached safely to her people.
D. Uday reaches Madina: Uday was visualizing in his mind that ruler of Madina would be like any other rulers he had seen and met before. He met the prophet on the way, after introducing him, prophet took with him towards his mosque, one the way, an old women met prophet and started asking some Questions from prophet. Prophet started talking to that old woman. He is not a king, Uday thought, kings do not behave like this. Inside Mosque, prophet asked Uday to sit in front of him and they started speaking: “Uday you think Muslims are weak and poor and have little power in affairs” Said Prophet. “But a time will come, when Muslims would control the kingdoms of Persia and Romans” Said the prophet “ A time will come, when one women will travel from Yemen to Makkah alone for Hajj and she would have no fear, except of a wolf that may kill her sheep” said the prophet. “A time will come when some one will have money for charity, but will not find any poor to give it to him” said the prophet (Uday later recalled that he had seen with his eyes the first two event and hoped to see the third one also). E. Uday argues with prophet: Uday told that he was Christian, therefore he was already following a prophet of God. “I know your religion more than what you know yourself” said the prophet “Why you take one fourth of all produce? Is it as per your religion?” Asked the prophet. Uday was speechless. “Your book says that we take our priests and scholars as gods beside God” said Uday “While we do not worship them at all” “Do you not take what they make lawful as lawful and unlawful, which they make unlawful” said the prophet. “Yes we do that” said Uday, “That is them taking as gods beside God” said prophet. After that Uday accepted Islam on the hands of prophet and he asked many more questions regarding specific situations, which we find recorded in books of Hadith. Such was the case of Uday, who was “slain” by the “Sword of Mercy and Compassion of the prophet”!!
13. The Case of : THUMAMA BIN ATHAL OF YAMAMA
Thumama was chief of his tribe living in Najd area of Arabia, his tribe’s main occupation was to rob Trade and other Caravans of any other tribe passing thru their area of influence. They also attacked some Muslim consignment sent by prophet in that direction, so much so that prophet had to sent a small Muslim army to discipline them. On hearing approach of Muslim army, most of his tribe members scattered into the desert, some how Thumama was unable to escape, he was captured and brought to Madina to await his judgment. Prophet asked him to be tied on one of the pillars of his mosque. After each prayer, he would come to Thumama and ask what should be done to him. “If you kill me, you will kill one who deserved the penalty” Thumama would say “And if you set me free, you will do good to some one who remembers, and if you ask for ransom, it will be paid” Each time prophet would ask him, he would reply the same. After third or fourth time, prophet ordered that Tumama be unbound and set free. This was done. Thumama left the mosque, went some distance away, took bath and returned back to mosque, and approaching prophet, declared his faith and became Muslims!! Such was the story of Thumama son of Uthal, who was “Slain by the Sword of Mercy and Compassion of the prophet”!!
14. The Case of : URWAH BIS MASOOD AL THAQAFI
A. Early History: Urwah was a very rich and influential leader of Makkah, he was from the tribe of Thaqif, who lived in Taif, the summer resort of Makkah people. He was one of the two people, whom Makkah people thought as likely candidates of prophet hood instead of our Prophet. Urwah also became the enemy of Islam, Muslims and prophet , when prophet declared his mission. During his entire stay of Makkah, he tried every means to defeat the mission of prophet. He was prominent member of all Anti Islamic plots and prominent member of suggesting means and methods to counter the menace of “This New and unheard of religion. When prophet migrated to Madina, the enmity of Urwah did not lessen to any degree and he was at the back of all battles that took place between Islamic and pagan armies. He was in the same condition, when prophet intended to perform UMRAH in 6 AH, Makkah people were determined to stop at any cost this religious trip by Prophet and Muslims. Prophet stopped at place called HUDAIBIAH , close to Makkah and waited for the developments from Makkan people. When the Makkan people saw the resolve of Prophet and Muslims, they thought it better to start negotiation and execute a treaty with Muslims. They sent Urwah as their representative to start negotiation: B. Urwah Comes to Muslims Camp: Urwah came and started negotiation with prophet. As was custom of Arabs, during talking, he would try to touch the beard of prophet, every time he would put forward his hand, sentry standing behind the prophet, would put it away and say “Watch, your hand” At one stage Urwah said to prophet, I see these amateurs around you, in real hard situation, they would scatter and leave you alone….he was rebuked by Abu Bakr sitting close by. No concrete results came out of mission of Urwah, and he went back to Makkah, for negotiations. When he reached Makkah he told them: “I have visited the courts of Persians, Romans, Egyptians and Abyssinians, no where I saw people respecting and loving their leaders than how Companions of Mohammad love , respect and honor Mohammad!!”
C. Urwah accepts Islam: Urwah remained unbeliever, till prophet captured Makkah. He accepted Islam after the general amnesty granted by Prophet to All Makkah people. After battle of Hunain, Prophet gave him 100 camels from the war booty to strengthen his believes. He accompanied prophet when he laid the siege to city of Taif….and when no results came, prophet removed the siege on advice of Urwah. D. Martyrdom of Urwah: When prophet returned to Madina after lifting siege of Taif, Urwah came to him and said “People of Taif respect and love me too much. They would be convinced when I will invite them towards Islam, leave this job to me and pray to Allah for my success”. Urwah reached TAif and gathered all the people and started speaking about Islam and its truth and invited Taif people to accept Islam. The people got so angry that they threw stones at him and he died of those injuries. People of Taif felt ashamed of what they had done to Urwah bin Massod….and they decided to accept islam and sent a delegation to Madina for that end. So the martyrdom of Urwah did indeed caused his tribe to become Muslim. Such was Urwah Bin Maossod, another “Victim” of the “Sword of Kindness and Mercy of Prophet”!!
15. The Case of : SUHAIL BIN ‘AMR BIN ABD SHAMS
A. Early History: Suhail was one of Important Chieftain of Makkah, when our prophet declared his mission. He was well known for his oratory skills and his reasoning power and judgment. But all his skills were used to extinguish the mission of prophet and he was an important member of Anti Islamic council. God works in his strange ways, Suhail was an avowed enemy of Islam, but both his daughters and two of his sons, were very early converts to Islam. May be there conversion inflamed his anti Islamic bias further. He chained one of his son Abu Jindal, so that he should not escape and merge with Muslims. He not only chained his round the clock but tortured him so that he may renounce his religion. All days of his Makkan period, Suhail was the bitterest enemy of prophet. When prophet migrated to Madina, Suhail was member of Makkan army that met Muslim forces at Badr. He was captured live my Muslim forces. Omar suggested to prophet to take out his front two teeth….so that he may not use his oratory skills…..but prophet said that Allah has prevented him from disfiguring people’s faces. B. Suhail and Treaty of Hudaibiyah: It has been mentioned in the story of Urwah, that he returned to Makkah to take prophet’s message and negotiate peace terms. After discussions, Makkah people chose Suhail as their ambassador to finalize peace terms. Suhail tried his best to get “Best Bargain” from Muslims in the famous treaty. In fact prophet accepted ALL their terms and did not put any condition from his side. Even during dictating the treaty, Suhail continued his “belligerent” mood. The treaty was written in this way, Ali the cousin of prophet was dictating and Prophet was dictating: “In the name of Allah, RAHMAN and RAHIM” dictated prophet “We do not know who is this RAHMAN and RAHIM, Write Allah, in your name” Interjected Suhail, Prophet consented and asked Ali to write what Suhail told” “This is what agreed between Mohammad, Allah’s Messenger….” Said the prophet. “Stop, Stop” interjected Suhail “If we knew you are Allah’s messenger, why will we fight with you. Write Mohammad the Son of Abdullah”
“You know I am Allah’s Messenger” said prophet “even though you do not say it openly, he then asked to write what Suhail said” Ali had already written Mohammad, Allah’s Messenger, he said that he would never erase this sentence, when Ali was Adamant, prophet asked him to show, where Allah’s messenger was written, he erased it with his own hand!! “Muslims will return back this year without performing UMRAH, but they would be allowed next year and will not stay for more than three years” Said Suhail and prophet accepted. “If any one will flee from Makkah to Madina , Muslims would return him back, but if any one would flee from Madina to Makkah, he will not be returned” Said Suhail and prophet accepted (Many Muslims felt that this was unfair, but did not open their mouths). “There will be ten years of peace between Muslims and Makkah people, no one will harm the other. From the tribes, they are free to join with Makkan or Madina, there is no bounds on them” said Suhail and prophet agreed. Thus the famous treaty was signed and enforced. C. Abu Jundal and Hudaibiyah: The treaty was not yet signed, when Abu Jindal, the son of Suhail, somehow escaped from his prison and reached Hudaibiyah, his hand and feet were bleeding and his body bore mark of abuses and repeated torture. He beseeched Muslims to take him to Madina, but Suhail was adamant to take him back to Makkah. Prophet told that treaty has not yet been signed, but Suhail said that the terms were already agreed, and this is the first test case. Prophet requested Suhail to release Abu Jindal as a personal favour for him, but Suhail did not relent. So in the end prophet told Abu Jindal to be patient and hold faith in Allah, soon Allah will make some provision for his realise. So, in front of the eyes of all Muslims,, Abu Jindal was dragged back to Makkah, bleeding, weeping and in chains. Such was the Condition of Heart of Suhail bin “Amr at that stage. D. How Suhail was slain: When Prophet captured Makkah in 8 A\H, he announced general amnesty and Suhail was also covered in that amnesty.
He accepted Islam at the hands of prophet after fall of Makkah. Prophet gave him 100 Camels to strengthen his faith from the booty of HUNAIN. In the remaining years of prophets life, Suhail was a good Muslim….when prophet died three years later…and whole of Arabia was engulfed in internal strife and rebellion, Suhail stood firm in his faith . He not only stood fast, but kept all Makkah people also firm, he said: “O people of Makkah! You were the last to accept Islam, be not the First to escape from it”!! So due to his oratory skills, he saved Makkah during that difficult period. Omar used to say “If prophet had destroyed the teeth of Suhail, after Badr, as I had suggested, how he would have helped Muslims in their period of Trial. Obviously Prophet knew more than what we could perceive”!! Such was Suhial, the Son of ‘Amr, whose heart of stone was made mallow by the “Sword of Compassion and Charity of prophet”
16. The Case of : ABU SUFIYAN BIN HARB BIN UMAYYA Chief of Makkan army
A. Early History: Abu Sufian was from Umayyad clan of Makkah and his clan were highly regarded and were a very powerful clan. Abu Sufian, himself was a very able leader and a man of resources and means. He married Hind the Daughter of Utbah…. Ha had many sons and daughters, one of them (Muaviah rose in ranks to became the 5th Caliph of Islamic nation). When prophet declared his mission, Abu Sufian sided with other chiefs of Makkah to oppose him…but one of his daughter “Umme Habibah” became an early convert of Islam and she migrated to Abyssinia with her husband, when persecution of Makkah people became unbearable. In Abyssinia her husband left Islam and became Christian, but his wife remained a true Muslim. After death of her husband, prophet married her and she became one of the “mothers of believers”. So Abu Sufian was a relative of prophet by marriage! B. Abu Sufian Becomes the Leader of Makkan Army: After the battle of Badr, when Makkan lost their most distinguished leaders, Abu Sufian was chosen as leader of Makkan Armies and in this capacity he fought all battles against the Prophet. The battle of Ohud, the Battle of trenches etc. There is no doubt that Prophet and Muslims had to suffer much at the hands of Abu Sufian and had many legitimate grudges against him. C. Abu Sufian’s pride is hurt In the treaty of Hudabiah which was enacted in year 6 AH, there was a clause that all hostilities shall end and no one will take part in any military campaign against each other, further no party will aid or harm any of the allies of their party. But Makkah people broke that clause of treaty, when they helped and attacked one ally of Muslims and said that “treaty is ended”. They realised their mistake and sent Abu Sufian as emissary to Madina so as to renew treaty…but prophet did not give him any answer and kept quite. Abu Sufian was apprehensive , he had no alternative, so he unilaterally renewed the treaty and returned empty handed. While in Madina, he had to face a very strange situation…he visited Umm Habibah, his own daughter and now a Wife of Prophet. He tried to sit on the bed sheet of prophet, but his daughter folded it back. He was stunned, he asked “Am I not fit to sit on this sheet”? His daughter replied “This is sacred bed of Prophet and you are an unbeliever, it is not
fitting for you to touch his bed sheet” Abu Sufian was shocked? And it made him to think. When Abu Sufian returned empty handed, the prophet made secret preparation to attack Makkah with such a large force and with so much surprise, them Makkah would be captured without much blood shed….so he gathered a large army of 10,000 warriors and marched it secretly towards Makkah. D. How did prophet “Slew” this Distinguished Enemy:” Abu Sufian was apprehensive of Prophet’s next move and was expecting a surprise attack, so he used to go out of Makkah during night and look for any sign. On one such night, he heard in night two people speaking, one of whom was Abbas, the uncle of Prophet. Abbas and Abu Sufian had friendship during Makkah, so he spoke to Abbas. Abbas told him that prophet is going to attack Makkah and Abu Sufian will surely be killed, so the only option for him to save his life is to got o prophet and accept Islam. So Abbas took him by night to prophet and he accepted Islam and prophet forgave him all his past mistakes. As a further sign of honor, prophet declared that if any one enters House of Abu Sufian he will not be harmed. When Makkah was captured most of its population including all his sons and his wife they all became Muslims. E. Abu Sufian After Islam: Abu Sufian turned out to be a very good Muslim afterwards, he remained firm in the internal turmoil that arose after death of prophet. Once during time of 2nd Caliph, Abu Sufian and some other Senior leaders of Makkah went to Omar to discuss some matters, as Omar was busy, they were asked to wait outside….while they were waiting outside, Bilal, Khbbab and some other slaves of Makkah came to see the Caliph, they were admitted immediately. Some of Chiefs of Makkah complained as to what has become of their reputation now? Abu Sufian is said to have answered “Prophet indeed invited every one…but we delayed it and these people went ahead of us….now why should be complain if they are given preference above us”? This shows his sincerity of faith. Abu Sufian took part in many battles during the reign of 1st and 2nd Caliph. He even lost one of his eyes in the famous Battle of Yarmouk in 14 AH. Such is the story of Abu Sufian “Killed by the Sword of Pardon and Mercy” of prophet!
17. The Case of : SAFWAN BIN UMAYYA
A. Early History: Safwan was also a staunch enemy of Islam and prophet, during the time when prophet stayed in Makkah and even after he migrated to Madina. He was in almost all the battles (except the Battle of Badr) with Makkan army. He lost many of his close relatives in that Battle and that enflamed the fire of hatred which he had against Islam and prophet. Infact there is a very interesting anecdote regarding him and new News Bearer of Battle of Badr. When Makkan army left for Badr, people at Makkah were very confident that they would return victorious and News of their victory will reach very soon them. They were very anxious for the Good News and would wait in Kaaba so as to be the first to hear it. Safwan was sitting in the courtyard of Kaaba, when the News Bearer from Badr reached Makkah. He was wearing ragged clothes and had sands in his heirs and he was shouting “disaster, Disasters, every one from Makkah killed at Badr….total disaster” Some one asked him about - Abu Jahl….Dead he said, - Utbah? …..Dead… - .Shaibah? … Dead - Ubai bin Khalaf? ….. Dead Safwan, thinking him to mad and out of his senses, asked him to ask about what happened to Safwan? “Safwan” the News bearer said “He is sitting there in the courtyard, do you think I am mad”? Only then the realized the calamity that had struck them. B. Safwan sends Assassin to kill Prophet: It has been mentioned in the story of UMAIR Bin WAHAB that it was Safwan who sent him, to kill the prophet secretly. The mission failed miserable and the Assassin himself was “slain” by the “sword of knowledge and mercy” of prophet and became Muslim, Safwan was very much disappointed. But all the time Safwan stayed on his course to oppose Islam and Muslim by any means. He was member of all war and economic councils held by Makkah people.
C. How was he “Slain”. Safwan remained unbeliever even when Makkah was captured. When prophet granted general amnesty, he chose not to become Muslim. Immediately after conquest of Makkah, prophet had to proceed to the Battle of Hunain, he was in need of some swords , tents and other items for the Muslim army. He asked Safwan to lean them to him. Sufwan asked “Will you take them by force if I refuse? “No” prophet replied “It is loan which I am asking and I will return it after war” So Safwan gave these items and also decided to accept Islam. After the victory of Hunain, prophet gave Safwan 100 or 200 Camels from the War booty…..this strengthened the faith of Safwan, because he realized that he was not dealing with a “trader or tyrant or any ordinary ruler” but with a prophet of God. Afterwards he remained a good Muslim and used his energies in the cause of Islam. Such was Safwan “killed” by the “Sword of Pardon and Generosity” of the prophet!!
18. The Case of : WHAHSHI, THE ABYSSINIAN, Killer of Uncle of Prophet.
WHAHSHI was an Abyssinian slave in Makkah, in the bondage to JUBAIR BIN MUT’IM, one influential person of Makkah. When prophet declared his mission, his master did not accept Islam, but he did not persecute prophet as some of others influential Makkans did. The prophet migrated to Madina after 13 years of his persecution in Makkah and in the following year battle of BADR took place, in which many important chief’s of Makkah were killed. JUBAIR also lost his uncle, who was killed by HAMZA, the uncle of prophet. So JUBAIL was burning with rage to take revenge of his uncle’s death at the hands of HAMZA. Next year, when the battle of UHAD took place, JUBAIR also joined it and he took his slave WHAHSHI also with him. Now this WHAHSHI was known for using his spear, a small Abyssinian weapon, with poisoned head. He was expert in its usage, a deadly silent “black” weapon in those days. JUBAIL arranged with WHAHSHI that if he killed HAMZA, he will be granted freedom. So when the battle took place, WHAHSHI with his poisoned weapon was lurking behind rocks to get closer to his prey. HAMZA was a renowned warrior and he was a terror for opponents in battle field. This had happened in the battle of BADR and the same started happening in OHUD. Any one coming in front of him, was sure to be killed. It was in the heat of battle, that HAMZA was pursuing one of his opponents, when he suddenly came in the range of WHAHSHI. Seeing his moment, WHAHSHI threw his spear which hit HMAZA in navel and went through his body and protruded to the other side! HAMZA fell immediately and was killed shortly, after his death his body was mutilated by Hind as we have described earlier. When prophet saw the mutilated body of his beloved uncle, he was much moved and when he learned the manner in which he was killed, in a cowardly attack from behind, his anger and sorrow multiplied. Well, WHAHSHI got his freedom, but he knew no other place to go, so he stayed in Makkah. Time passed and in year 8 AH, prophet’s army conquered Makkah and every one surrendered to him. WHAHSHI knew that his killing of HAMZA from behind, was a very dastardly act, so fearing for his life, he fled to Taif, a nearby city.
Prophet returned to Madina, but WHAHSHI wanted to accept Islam, so he went to Madina secretly and accepted Islam at the hands of prophet. When prophet asked him who he was, he told his name. Prophet asked him to recite, how he had killed his uncle. After hearing the story, prophet pardoned him , but asked him to go away from Madina, because seeing his face would remind prophet of his uncle. So WHAHSHI left Madina and settled in Taif. WHAHSHI wanted to expiate for his actions of killing of Prophet’s uncle, so when the battle of YAMAMA took place against false prophet MUSIALAMAH, he also went with Muslim army. His weapon was with him, and when he saw the false prophet, he threw his weapon, killing him on the spot. “I killed the best men when I was non believer and I killed the Worst man when I became Muslim” WHAHSHI used to say. Such was WHAHSHI, a victim of “Sword of Pardon and Magnificence” of prophet.
19. The Case of : ZAHIR BIN HARAM, The Bedouin 20. The Case of : ADDAS, a slave from Taif 21. The Case of : A Bedouin of desert
19. The Case of : ZAHIR BIN HARAM, The Bedouin ZAHIR was one of the Bedouin, who used to visit the prophet in Median from Time to time. He used to bring the prophet gifts from desert like Ghee and Cheese etc. and prophet used to give him in return gifts of Dates or other things from Medina. Prophet Used to say “That ZAHIR is our Bedouin friend and we are his City Friend” Once he came to Medina, but prophet was not at home, so he went to the market place, when prophet came home and was informed of his visit, prophet went to market place in his search. He found ZAHIR , full with sweat and smelling as Bedouins so, prophet did not mind his condition and hugged him from the behind. ZAHIR was surprised, since he did not know, who grabbed him, but when he turned and saw the prophet, he was extremely happy. Prophet in jest, who will buy this slave? ZAHIR said “O Prophet of Allah, I am worthless in my present attire and condition” “No you are not worthless, You are very valuable in the eyes of Allah and His Messenger” Prophet Replied The prophet enslaved ZAHIR forever with his “Sword of Kindness and Mercy”! 20. The Case of : ADDAS, a slave from Taif This is when prophet went to Taif , to preach his message there after he got discouraged from the people of Makkah from accepting Islam. Taif was a hilly place, near Makkah which was known for its cold climate and fruits, many rich people of Makkah had purchased land and property in Taif, and had their gardens there. The Prophet’ visit was not successful and he suffered such harshness from people of Taif, which he had not encountered in his 10 or 11 year mission in Makkah. They not only refused to listen to his message, but even drove him out of the city and asked children to even throw pebbles at him. Hungry, thirty and dejected, the Prophet took refuge in one of the garden of UTBAH , the Son of RABEAH, A Makkan chief. UTBAH had not accepted Islam, but he was moved my seeing the prophet in this condition.
He sent his slave ADDAS, with some grapes to the prophet. He was a Christian slave at that time, When he gave prophet these fruits, he took the Name of Allah before eating. ADDAS, was surprised, he asked prophet, what did you say, these people do not take the name of Allah before eating? Prophet asked “You are from which city and what is your religion?” ADDAS, told that he was Christian and he is from Nineveh, “The city of my brother prophet Jonas the Son of MATTA” prophet said. ADDAS, was taken aback, How do you know about Jonas the Son of MATTA? Prophet told that he was a prophet of God and I am also a prophet of God. On this ADDAS, respected prophet and kissed his hands and feet, UTBAH was watching this scene from window, “This slave is gone from our hand , he thought” When ADDAS, returned back, he asked him what happened, ADDAS, told that this man is a prophet of God, he told me such a thing which only a prophet of God can know. “Your religion is better than his religion” was all that UTBAH could say at that moment. So it was the “Sword of truth and Allah’ remembrance” by which the Prophet enslaved ADDAS, for ever!! 21. The Case of : A Bedouin of desert Once prophet and his companions were returning from a Military compaign, it was noon time and very hot. Prophet saw a tree and wanted to take a small nap in its shade. He took his sword, hung it by one of the branch, and went to sleep. A Bedouin was watching the prophet, he saw him alone, sleeping with his sword hanging by the tree. He was not a Muslim by that time, thinking it to be a good opportunity, he went to the tree, removed the sword and woke up the prophet. “Now tell me Mohammad, who will save you from my hand”? He asked the prophet. Prophet opened his eyes, saw the Bedouin with sword in his hand standing by his head. He did not lose his calm. “Allah” he replied in a very cool and with conviction. The Bedouin was taken aback, the sword fell from his hand, prophet picked up the sword and said “Now, tell me, who will protect you from MY hand” “No one, I only expect mercy and forgiveness from you hand”, he replied.
“Will you accept Islam” the prophet asked. “No, but I will not help your enemies” the Bedouin replied. Prophet let him go unharmed. That Bedouin was chief of his clan, he went and recounted this incident and very soon the whole clan became Muslim. So it was the “Sword of Faith, Mercy and Kindness” by which prophet enslaved this whole clan for ever!!
22. The Case of : HUSEIN BIN MUNDHER, KHAZAI 23. The Case of : An Abyssinian slave women of Medina 24. The Case of : BARIRAH, A SLAVE GIRL OF MEDINA
22. The Case of : HUSEIN BIN MUNDHER, KHAZAI This is during the period when there was tussle between the Prophet and chieftains of Makkah. They wanted to get some sort of “understanding ” between prophet and themselves. First they sent UTBAH with the mission, when that failed, they sent HUSEIN with the same mission. He came to prophet and told him about the problem of Makkah people and told why are you doing this thing, which has caused so much rift in the Makkan society. Prophet kept on listening, and when he had finished his talking, he asked “ ABU IMRAN (his title) how many gods you worship these days” “Seven, six on the earth and one in the heavens” HUSEIN replied. “To which of these seven you fear most and ask for things” asked the prophet. “To one, who is in heavens” HUSEIN replied. “If you become Muslim, I will teach you two sentences which will benefit you much” said the prophet. On this HUSEIN accepted Islam, and asked the prophet to teach him those two sentences. “O Allah! Send guidance to my heart! And save me from harm of my own self” told the prophet. So it was the “sword of patience and sincerity” by which prophet enslaved HUSEIN for ever! 23. The Case of : An Abyssinian slave women of Medina There was an Abyssinian slave women in Madina, who used to clean and sweep in the Mosque of prophet. She did that service voluntarily, without asking and without demanding any wages. The prophet was very impressed with her selfless service for the mosque. She fell ill, and it was evident that she will die from this illness. Prophet told his companions to inform him, when she dies, so he could lead her funeral prayers.
When few days had passed, prophet asked about that women, they told him that she died a few days back during night, we did not liked to wake you up, so we buried her during the night. Prophet asked his companions to lead him to her graves, he reached there performed the prayers and prayed for her forgiveness and mercy from Allah. With this act, prophet gave permanent lesson to his companions that in the eyes of Allah and His messenger, what counts is not the physical and material wealth of any person, but the state of his or her faith and sincerity. This was the Sword of Equality and Mercy and Kindness, using which the prophet taught the everlasting lesson of equality 24. The Case of : BARIRAH, A SLAVE GIRL OF MEDINA BARIRAH was a slave girl of Medina. She wanted to become free, she talked with her master, who asked for some amount of money to be paid, before she gets free. She came to Aiyesha, the wife of prophet, and asked for that money. Aiyesha told that I will give you that money, but you will be referred to as “My freed slave” (a custom of Arab). BARIRAH went and told her master, he said, no your reference shall be of me. Aiyesha told the Prophet about it, Prophet told Aiyesha to give BARIRAH the money and let her set free. The reference is towards the one who freed the salve and not to the one who hold it. BARIRAH was therefore set, free and she was always attached to Aiyesha for rest of her life and prophet gave a sermon in which he said “What has happened to people, who put conditions in their contracts which are not approved by Allah” In this way, he admonished the master of BARIRAH indirectly. By using Swords of Kindness and Mercy, prophet and Aiyesha enslaved BARIRAH forever even after setting her free!
25. The Case of : FUDHALA BIN UMAIR 26. The Case of : A YOUNG MAN OF MEDINA
25. The Case of : FUDHALA BIN UMAIR FUDHALA was a resident of Makkah, who had not accepted the message of Prophet and was one of his enemies. He used to think about the means and ways in which to kill the prophet. One day while the prophet was in Kaaba precinct and was circumambulating the Kaabah, FUDHALA was also walking behind the prophet. He had a big knife hidden under his cloak and he was thinking to come near to prophet and kill him with the knife. “What are you thinking about, FUDHALA “ suddenly asked the prophet. FUDHALA was taken aback, “Nothing, Nothing” was the words that came out of his mouth. “Fear Allah” said the prophet and put his hand on his chest. FUDHALA said later “that the moment, prophet put his hand on my chest, all my doubts about Islam vanished, and he became dearest to me of all the worlds” He accepted Islam then and there and went to him home happy and contended. On the way to home, he passed by the harlot, whom he used to visit regularly, she asked him to come inside and talk to her. FUDHALA told, “I have become Muslim and Islam does not allow such things”. Such was the immediate transformation which Islam used to have due to the prophet of Allah. Such was FUDHALA who was slain by the “Sword of Mercy and Hand of Cure” of the prophet. 26. The Case of : A YOUNG MAN OF MEDINA Once day, while prophet was sitting amongst his companions a woman came to the prophet, and presented a shawl to him and said “O messenger of Allah, I have knitted this shawl especially for you” Prophet took it, found it was very good and he put it on his shoulders. One young man amongst those who were present, said “O messenger of Allah, give me this shawl” Prophet gave him the shawl and said “Wear it”
The companions of prophet were not happy , they admonished that young man “You saw that prophet did need that shawl, but he never refuses, any one who asks him some thing, why did you ask him for this shawl?” “ Allah knows” said the young man “That I only wanted this garment, so it be my burial cloth”. He went home and preserved that shawl and later, when he died he was buried using that shawl as his burial cloth. Such was the prophet who using his “sword of generosity and big heart” enslaved that young man for ever!
27. The Case of : BILAL AND ABU DHARR 28. The Case of : Abu Bakr and Omar
27. The Case of : BILAL AND ABU DHARR Both of these are well known companions of prophet and they accepted Islam at a very early stage. BILAL was a Abyssinian slave, who was freed by Abu Baker and accepted Islam at a very early stage. ABU DHARR was from GIFAR tribe of Arabia and he also accepted Islam at a very early stage. Once upon a time, there was some argument between these two companions of prophet and ABU DHARR called BILAL son of a Black Woman (a racial slang). BILAL came to prophet and complained about it, Prophet called ABU DHARR and asked “Have you abused BILAL saying such and such”? “Yes” ABU DHARR replied “When people argue, such words do come out of mouth” “You have traits of Period of ingnorance in you” Said the prophet “Even after so much time and when one gets old”? Asked ABU DHARR “Yes” said the prophet “Go and apologize to BILAL”. ABU DHARR went to BILAL and apologized to him and said “Put you foot on my mouth, it was this mouth which swore at you” BILAL refused, but ABD DHARR keep on insisting unless BILAL agreed and did as asked. After that no one said any thing like that to BILAL. In fact Omar used to say, BILAL was a slave of prophet but he is our Superior and our Leader. Using “sword of equality” the prophet was able to put forward a very strong` message of equality to his companions. 28. The Case of : Abu Bakr and Omar This is another very interesting episode between these two of the Greatest Companions and sons of Islam. Once Abu Bakr and Omar argued on some thing and Abu Bakr used some harsh words to Omar. Omar got very angry, but he did not say any thing and went for his house. Abu Bakr realized his mistake and he went after Omar saying “please forgive me” Omar did not answer any thing and went to his house and closed the door,. Abu Bakr went to see prophet and his face was down. Prophet realized it and said “It seems that he is in some trouble”.
After some time, Omar felt that he was harsh to Abu Bakr not accepting his apologies, he also came to prophet and told the whole story as to how Abu Bakr said these harsh words and then apologized, but I did not accept it. The Prophet was very angry with Omar and said “Will you leave my friend for my sake, when all of you rejected me and called me liar, he accepted me and my message….the prophet kept on repeating it” Abu Bakr intervened and told to prophet that indeed he was wrong…but prophet went on saying it, Till Omar asked forgiveness from Abu Bakr and the matter was forgotten. Such was the prophet, who using his “Sword of wisdom” showed every one the status of Abu Bakr and how people should respect each other!
29. The Case of : A Drunkard of Madina 30. The Case of : A BEDOUIN OF DESERT
29. The Case of : A Drunkard of Madina Before Islam, drinking Alcohol was a common thing in Arabian society. It was one of the most favorite of their drinks. When Islam came and gradually the Alcohol was banned in stages. Most Muslims shunned the habit all at once, but there were some, for which it was very difficult to shun this life long habit so suddenly. Such people when caught were punished according to Islamic punishment system. There was one such man who was presented to prophet to prophet repeatedly…. When he was punished a number of times, one companion said to prophet “Allah should curse this man, how many times he has been brought for drinking” “Do not use such words” prophet told his companion in anger “As for as I know, this man loves Allah and His Messenger”!! Such was the mercy and compassion showed by the Messenger of Allah to those who were his followers. He was always on the look out for positive traits in his followers and highlighted him and ignored or suppressed their negative qualities. That was why, his followers loved and respected him, more than any King, or Emperor or Any one else was loved and respected by their followers. 30. The Case of : A BEDOUIN OF DESERT Once prophet was going in the streets of Madina, his companion and his house hold help boy, ANAS was also with him….the prophet was wearing a thick cloak , which was made in Nejran….. on the way, he met one Bedouin who had just came from the desert. The Bedouin came from behind and held the prophet by the cloak, he held it so strongly that it left mark on the prophet’s neck and he had trouble in breathing. “O Mohammad, gave me from the Money which Allah gave you” He spoke in a very harsh voice. The prophet turned his face, looked at the Bedouin, smiled and asked some money to be given to him. The cases of prophet’ dealings with these Bedouin are many, these people were from desert and were not aware as to how to talk to people and how not to annoy people. But the Prophet bore with utmost patience such people, never loosing his temper. That was why, he was able to win over these uncivilized people over to him for ever.
Any one who once saw him, and dealt with him, became his slave for every. Only those who were really looser were unaffected by the mercy and kindness of prophet and left this world empty handed.
31. The Case of : MIQDAD BIN ASWAD 32. The Case of : ABU HURIRAH AND PEOPLE OF SUFFAH
33. The Case of : SUWAID BIN SAMIT OF MEDINA
31. The Case of : MIQDAD BIN ASWAD MIQDAD and his two friends migrated from Makkah to Medina. There was no one to take care of them, the prophet asked them to say in a house. There were four goats whose milk was the food of these people and the prophet. MIQDAD used to milk the goats and give share of each person to them , if prophet was present, he would drink it, if prophet was not present, his share was kept separate in a vessel. One night the prophet got delayed to return home, MIQDAD milked the goats, gave share to every one, drank his share and kept the share of prophet. When there was more delay, he thought that prophet would surely have eaten with those whom he was, so he went and drank the prophet’ share also from the vessel. But he was afraid, what will prophet say, he kept awake, prophet returned late in the night, went straight to the vessel so as to drink from it….but found it empty. MIQDAD was afraid that lest prophet curse him or say some bad words from him, but prophet said “O Allah feed those who feed me and give drink to those who give drink to me” MIQDAD went towards the goats with knife in hand, so as to kill one of the goats and feed the prophet, when he touched one goat , he found that its bladders were full with milk. He milked the goat and brought the full vessel to prophet and asked him to drink it. He urged prophet to drink repeatedly till he was satisfied… Prophet asked MIQDAD as to why the milk was so much today, MIQDAD told the prophet the whole story. The prophet smiled and said that this was from Grace and Mercy of Allah. Such was the way prophet dealt with his followers and companions who loved and respected him like no one was ever loved and respected before and after him. 32. The Case of : ABU HURIRAH AND PEOPLE OF SUFFAH ABU HURIRAH was a well known companion of prophet, who has transmitted maximum number of Prophet’ sayings in the books of Hadith. When he came to Madina, he was bachelor and he did not had any money or other provisions. Such people used to live in a small Shade called “SUFFAH” adjacent to the Prophet’s mosque. They were full time devoted to learning of Quran and Islamic teachings. Prophet used to take care of their daily food, if any food was gifted to him, he would share it with them, if any thing came from charity, he would send it to them etc. ABU HURIRAH was also one of those people in start of his Islamic life. He had a very strange story to tell us:
“One day, during noon time, I felt extreme hunger and there was nothing to eat, I came out in the street, so as to meet some one and perchance he may invite me to his house and give me some food” “I was in the street, when Abu Bakr passed by, I saluted him and asked meaning of a Quranic verse, hoping he would ask me to come with him. But he answered me and went his way. After some time, Omar passed by, I repeated the same thing to him, he also answered and went his way” “After some time, prophet passed by, I saluted him, and asked the same question. He looked at me, smiled and asked me to follow him. We reached his house, he went inside and then invited me to come inside. He asked his wife, is there any thing to eat. He was told that there is one pitcher of milk, which was gifted to him by some one from Madina. It was a small quantity of milk sufficing for one or persons at the most. I hoped prophet would give it to me.” “But prophet asked me to bring people of SUFFAH also. I went saying in my heart, how so many persons will drink from this pitcher, and then prophet will ask me to drink in the last. What would be my share? But I could not refuse the prophet’s command. I went and ten or so other people of SUFFAH came with me”. “When they all sat, prophet took the pitcher, and asked me, to go and give it to the first man on my right, he took the pitcher, drank from it and gave it back to me. Then I went to next person and so on…” “When every one had drunk from the pitcher, only myself and prophet were left. Prophet said “ABU HURIRAH, now only you and me are left” I said “Yes, O Messenger of Allah” “He gave me the pitcher and asked me to drink from it. I drank, he asked me to drink again, He again asked me to drink….untill I was satisfied and said “O prophet of Allah, I can not drink any more” . “Then the prophet took the pitcher, gave thanks to Allah and drank the rest of milk” Such was the “sword of Love, compassion and Grace from Allah” with which prophet used to enslave his trusted companions for ever. 33. The Case of : SUWAID BIN SAMIT OF MEDINA SUWAID BIN SAMIT was a resident of Madina and was one of the recognized poet of the city. He was titled as “perfect” by people of his city and he was memorizing most of the Words of Wisdom of LUQMAN HAKEEM, well known wise man of ancient Arabia.
This incident dates when the prophet was in Makkah and was preaching there. Once SUWAID BIN SAMIT went to Makkah to perform ritual of HAJJ or UMRAH. People went out to meet him and greet him. Prophet also met him and told about his mission and that Allah has sent His revelation thru him. “May be it is something like wisdom of LUQMAN” said SUWAID BIN SAMIT. Prophet asked him to recite some verses from that wisdom. For a long time SUWAID BIN SAMIT kept on reciting and prophet went on listening. When he was finished, prophet told him that indeed this is very good, but what Prophet has, was Word of God and light and guidance for humankind. SUWAID BIN SAMIT asked prophet what it was, Prophet recited some portion of Quran. He was very much impressed and said that “indeed it is a very good thing and incomparable” After that he. Returned to Madina, but he was soon killed by some one in a local dispute. People say that he had become muslim, but did not declare his faith. Such was SUWAID BIN SAMIT who was fatally injured by the “Sword of Quran and patience” which prophet wielded!
34. The Case of : ANSARS of Medina after the Battle of HUNAIN
Muslims of Madina, who were named “ANSARS” by Allah and His messenger, have a very distinguished position in the history of Islam. It is they who gave shelter to prophet and his companions, when they took flight from Makkah. It is they who stood in front of whole Arabia and fought alongside Prophet and his companions. It is they who shared their land, their houses and their property which people who fled from Madina. They were with prophet at every critical juncture. In fact it is very difficult to write down all their sacrifices in such a short space. Suufice it will be to say that they fulfilled the pledge they make to prophet, when they invited him to come to Madina. Prophet used to love Madina and its original residents, with a love that was nothing short of Divine. It was with their support and perseverance that Prophet finally conquered Makkah in 8 AH, paving the way for rapid spread of Islam thru out Arabia in a very short time. Well knows battle of HUNAIN took place very close to the Opening of Makkah. This battle is also mentioned in Quran. Muslim army consisted of more that 12000 people, largest till that day and Muslims were confident that they cannot loose. Their opponents were Tribe of HAWAZIN, who were very good archers. In the initial phase of battle, Muslims were defeated and were running hither and thither, but due to perseverance of prophet and some of his companions, the tides were turned and Muslims won the battle. In this battle Muslims got a large amount of War booty consisting of camels and sheep and goat. Prophet distributed from that booty large numbers of camels and goats to recently converted chiefs of Makkah and gave nothing and very little to ANSARS of Madina. On this some youngsters said “when the time of battle comes, we a re put in front and when the time of booty comes, others are kept in front” This was relayed to prophet and he asked that all ANSARS and no-one else but themselves be gathered into a large tent. When ANSARS gathered, prophet came and asked that I have such and such from you, is it true. The elders said that some of the youngsters have said so, but not we the elders and leaders of our people. Prophet asked “Were you not without guidance, and Allah guided you to the right path thru me?” “Yes! O Allah’s messenger” they said. “Were, you not divided lot and Allah united them thru me” Asked the prophet \“Yes! O Allah’s messenger” they said.
“Were you not poor and Allah made you rich thru me?” Asked the prophet “Yes! O Allah’s messenger” they said. “No, but if you said, That you were rejected and we accepted you, You were alone, and we supported you, You were driven from your homes and we gave shelter to you, Then you will be true and your voice will be accepted” Said the prophet in a very emotional voice. All the ANSARS started weeping on hearing prophet saying so. “O ANSARS are you not happy, that other people shall take camels and goats and sheep and you shall take Allah’ Messenger with yourselves?” Said the prophet in the same emotional voice. “Yes, we are happy, O Allah’ messengers” Said the people in your voice. “O ANSARS do you know, if there was no migration, I would have been one of the ANSARS, If people go into one valley and ANSARS into another valley, I will go to the ANSARS valley” “ O Allah, have mercy on ANSARS, on their Children and the Children of their Children” Prayed the prophet. Upon this the whole congregation started weeping with a loud voice and with those tears were washed any evil thoughts that had creped into their minds. Such was the “Sword of Psychology and Wisdom” which prophet used to enslave these ANSARS to his side for ever!
35. The Case of : CAPTIVES OF HAWAZIN
36. The Case of : TUFAIL BIN ‘AMR DOSSI
35. The Case of : CAPTIVES OF HAWAZIN This story also relates to the battle of HUNAIN, which we discussed above. The Tribe of HAWAZIN consisted of many sub clans, amongst which were Banu SAAD, who had given suckle to prophet when he was infant. Prophet stayed for five to six years with these people during his infancy and his early childhood. After battle was over, and enemy scattered, many captives were taken from the battle field along with many camels, sheep and goats etc. Prophet waited for some days, for enemy tribes to come and talk to him about their animals and captives. When no one came he distributed them amongst Muslims. HAWAZIN people came after some days and wanted the prophet to free their slaves….they selected a very eloquent person amongst them to present their case before prophet. He said “O Mohammad amongst the captives and many of those who gave you suckle and their daughters and sisters, If we had given suckle to Kings of Yemen and HIRA, they would have treated us differently. Please have mercy on us and set them free…(and words of the same type”. The prophet was moved on hearing this sermon and he asked Muslims to free their slaves without taking any thing from them. So many hundreds of slaves were set free on this command of prophet. This was the “Sword of Mercy and Compassion” which prophet used to enslave people of HAWAZIN tribe for ever! 36. The Case of : TUFAIL BIN ‘AMR DOSSI TUFAIL was well respected chief of DOSS clan, that lived near Yemen. Once he came to Makkah for UMRAH, that was the period when prophet had declared his mission and Makkan people had decided to warn any newcomer of the “dangers” he posed to innocent and unsuspecting foreign visitors to Makkah! On the outskirts of Makkah TUFAIL met some Makkah people, who asked him from where he came, he introduced himself, and they warned to be careful of a “possessed man” who causes separation between husbands and wives and between fathers and sons. So much so that he put cotton in his ears, so as to not even listen the words of Prophet! When TUFAIL entered Kaaba, he found prophet standing in one corner in prayers and reciting from Quran. TUFAIL went near and he heard some words of what prophet was reciting, but due to cotton in his ears, he was unable to hear properly.
“Oh what a fool I am” thought TUFAIL , what harm can mere words do, I will listen and decide myself, if they are good or evil. So he removed cotton from his ears and listened attentively to Quran. After finishing prayers prophet left for his home and TUFAIL followed him. He talked to prophet and learned about the message of Islam and became his follower. Then he went to his own town and due to his efforts, his father, his wife and some of his friends. But most people of his tribe did not accept Islam. TUFAIL came to prophet and complained about their behavior and asked prophet to curse these people. Prophet raised his hands in prayer, “Now bad time has come on DOSS Tribe” though TUFAIL. But Prophet said “O Allah guide DOSS” Two or three times. Then he asked TUFAIL to go back and invite his people to Islam in softly and with wisdom. This time most people of DOSS tribe became Muslim. This was the “Sword of Quran” Most Potent of all Swords which people used on TUFAIL to enslave him for ever!!
37. The Case of : HABBAR BIN ASWAD
HABBAR was a resident of Makkah and he was one of the bitterest enemies of Islam. He remained enemy of prophet and Muslims during their 13 years mission in Makkah. When prophet migrated to Madina and wanted to bring her daughters ZAINAB and Others (FATIMA, & UMME KULTHOOM) to Madina. He sent his adopted son ZAID with camels to bring them back. ZAID took Fatima and UMM KULTHOOM, and wanted to take ZAINAB also. ZAINAB was already married to ABU AL AAS and she was in advanced stage of pregnancy. When she had boarded the camel. Family members of ABU AL AAS, came and said that we will not allow Prophet’s daughter to be taken out of Makkah in broad day light. During the discussion, this stone hearted HABBAR hit the camel on whom ZAINAB was sitting and she fell from the camel and had miscarriage. She suffered internal bleeding and never recovered from that injury and it lead to her death a few years later. Prophet was extremely sad and unhappy when he learned of the accident, on the other hand this HABBAR remained unrepentant of the criminal act he had done. When prophet conquered Makkah in year 8 H, he gave general amnesty to all people of Makkah, except 8 or 10 people. HABBAR ‘ name was in those eight or ten people for the crime he had done to prophet’ daughter. HABBAR was afraid of his life and he hid himself in fear….but after some days, he was told that prophet does not kill those who declare Islam to him. Accordingly he went to prophet and declared his Islam and asked for pardon for all his previous mistakes and crimes. Prophet had him in his total control and if he would have been like any of those Earthly kings and rulers or cruel as our “Experts” would led us to believe, executing such a personal enemy would have been for him a moment’s decision. But he was sent as a “mercy to the Universe” , so even in this condition, he took “His Sword of Mercy” and pardoned HABBAR thereby setting an example which is hard to be broken in the annals of this world!
38. The Case of : HAMZA BIN A’MUTTALIB HASHMI, Uncle of Prophet
Early History: HAMZA was one of the real uncles of prophet. He was almost of the same age as that of prophet. When he grew up, he became a very powerful and brave man in Makkah. He was well recognized and well respected in Makkah. He used to love the prophet very much. When prophet declared his mission, HAMZA remained in doubt, he like Abu Talib, did not accept Islam, but he was always helping and supporting the prophet against his enemies. He was fond of hunting and sued to go out of Makkah in the mornings on his horse, with his bow and arrows. He would return in the evenings, go to Kaaba, perform Tawaf and then enter his house. That was his daily routine. How was he Slain: One day, while HAMZA was out hunting, prophet went to Kaaba to perform Tawaf, there he met Abu JAHL, who started abusing him. Abu JAHL was an avowed enemy of Islam, and no good was expected from him, but on that day, he exceeded his own limit. Prophet did not answer him, but came back with his eyes full of tears. One slave girl of HAMZA was watching all these and drinking every insult which Abu JHAL used against waiting. She sat on the way, from which HAMZA used to return. When evensong came and HAMZA returned to Makkah, the girl told him about what had taken place and how much excess was done by Abu JAHL and how prophet had returned back without saying a word and his eyes full of tears. HAMZA became very angry and went straight to Kaaba, where he found Abu JAHL sitting with some people. He straight went to him, hit him on the head with his bow and said “How dare you insult my nephew when I am still alive?” Abu JAHL saw anger and fury in his eyes and immediately tracked back and started saying soothing words. In those he also said that “even you have not accepted his religion”. HAMZA in the heat of argument, said “If that is your point, then let me I tell you, I have also become his follower”. HAMZA went straight to prophet, told him about what he had said and said “But I am still not convinced in my heart”. Prophet prayed to Allah to stabilize his heart. Next day, when HAMZA wake up from his sleep, all his doubts about Islam and prophet were washed away. He went back to prophet, re-declared his faith and become a True Follower of prophet. His addition to Muslims increased their standing and when Omar became Muslim a week or ten days later, Muslims became a formidable force in Makkah.
Later life: HAMZA remained with prophet in Makkah, and helped him and supported him at every juncture. He migrated to Madina and in the battle of Badr slain UTBAH and SHAIBAH in hand to hand combat at the beginning of Battle, he also killed MUT’IM BIN UDAI, one of the Chief of Makkah. In the battle of UHUD, next year. He also killed many of the warriors of Makkan army, he was killed in the battle field in a most cowardly manner. After he was dead, his body was mutilated, women of Makkah (lead by HIND, daughter of UTBAH and wife of Abu SUFYAN) cut his nose and ears, slit open his chest and removed his liver and kidney and chew on it. When prophet saw the condition of body of his Uncle and Great Warrior of Islam in this condition, he was extremely pained. (He later pardoned Abu SUFYAN and HIND, but that is another story). He also said “If I was not fearing about the sentiments of SUFIA (HAMZA ‘ s Sister), or that it would be taken as a practice, I would leave the body of HAMZA in the same state, till crows and vultures ate him and then on the day of judgment, he would be resurrected from their bellies……and I would mutilate 70 of the Makkan ‘s slain. But a revelation from Allah prevented the prophet from retaliating like that HAMZA with other martyrs of UHUD was buried on the side of battle field. Prophet led his funeral prayers, and he used to place his body along side every group of Martyrs whose bodies came before him for leading burial prayers. In this way the prophet performed 13 or 14 Burial prayers of his beloved and brave uncle HAMZA!! Such was the wonderful story of HAMZA, the Uncle of prophet, who was “injured” by the “sword of kinship” but was fully “killed and enslaved” by the “Sword of prayer and Love” which Prophet wielded in abundance!!
39. The Case of : AYAS BIN MA’AZ OF MEDINA 40. The Case of : ABU DHARR GHIFARI
39. The Case of : AYAS BIN MA’AZ OF MEDINA This is the time, when prophet was busy in propagating his mission to the people of Makkah only, he was having a tough time there. He used to visit any foreign group, if they came to Makkah for Hajj and UMRAH. In those days, one delegation from Madina cam to visit Makkah, led by ANAS BIN RAFE’. In that delegation AYAS was also present. He was a young lad in his teens. Prophet went to this delegation of Madina people and told them about his mission and about the book which Allah has revealed to him. Before any one could speak, AYAS prompted “By God! This is very good and we should accept it without delay”. The elder members of delegation were taken aback, they admonished him, ANAS even hit him with some sand, telling, we have not come for these things. The prophet went away, but AYAS was “critically wounded” by “the sword of Quran” wielded by the prophet. Islam had penetrated into his heart. The delegation left for Madina and after some years, before the message of Islam reached properly to people of Madina, AYAS died during the internal conflict of BUATTH between the two tribes of Madina. But those who were present, when he died later reported that he was declaring his faith to Islam and was praising Allah before his end came. Such is the familiar story of those who got “pierced with these swords of Prophet”!! 40. The Case of : ABU DHARR GHIFARI ABU DHARR belonged to the tribe of GHIFAR of Arabia. This tribe had a bad reputation of engaging in highway robbery and every one was afraid of people from this tribe. When the prophet declared his mission and this information spread thru out Arabia, ABU DHARR also got curious. He sent his brother UNAIS to go to Makkah and find out about this prophet and his teachings. UNAIS was the poet of the tribe and a powerful orator himself. UNAIS came and lived for a few days in Makkah, he met prophet, and listened to his sermons and talks. When he went back ABU DHARR asked him, and he said that “people say that he is poet, but what he says is not poetry”…..but he did not say more about his teachings. ABU DHARR then decided to go himself and see for himself. He reached Makkah, but he did not know anyone in Makkah, neither he knew about prophet, so he just waited in Kaaba, perchance he may find him there. When evening came, Ali the cousin of prophet
seeing one man from outside Makkah and no one to help him, took him with him to his house for food and shelter. In the morning ABU DHARR went back to Kaaba as on previous day, this continued for three days. On fourth day, Ali asked him about his purpose of visit to Makkah and ABU DHARR told him after lot of persuasion. Ali then took him to prophet. Prophet explained to him about Islam and rehearsed some verses from Quran. ABU DHARR immediately accepted Islam and became some of the earliest entrants to Islam. Prophet advised him to go back to his tribe and meet him, when Islam became stronger, “No ! O Messenger of Allah” said ABU DHARR “I will go to Kaaba and rehearse this Quran openly there” Saying this he went to Kaaba and started reciting Quran in aloud voice. QURAISH were stunned, for first few moments, they looked aghast, then they pounced on ABU DHARR from all directions and started beating him. They were beating and were about to kill him, when some one said “Do you know this man is from GHIFAR tribe. If you kill them they will make your travels very dangerous”. So they left him and people dropped him to the house of ABBAS, uncle of prophet and he returned to his tribe a fully committed Muslim. ABU DHARR joined prophet in Madina when he heard that prophet had migrated there. ABU DHARR has had a high place in Islam and amongst the companions of prophet. He lived the life close to hermit in Islam and was well renowned for his forceful talk, whenever he noticed any thing which he considered wrong. He died during the Caliphate of Othman, the third Caliph of Islam in a place called RABDHA, which is in the outskirts of Madina. Such was the wonderful story of ABU DHARR “critically wounded” by the “sword of Truth and Quran” wielded by prophet. A single stroke was enough to enslave and capture him for life!
41. The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN ABU UMAIYYAH, of MAKKAH
ABDULLAH BIN ABU UMAIYYAH was the son of ATIKAH, the Aunt of Prophet. He was therefore a first cousin of Prophet. He knew the prophet from his childhood. But when prophet declared his mission, this ABDULLAH not only declined to accept his mission, but joined the party who were his bitterest enemies. Prophet was hoping that he, would have some regard to the kinship and close relation which he had with prophet. In those days, ties of kinship accounted for many considerations, but there were a few people in Makkah who disregarded even these ties and exceeded in their bounds. This Abdullah was also one of those. Prophet was very disappointed when he saw the attitudes of this Abdullah and ABUSUFYAN, the Son of HARITH, another cousin of prophet. Prophet bore with dignity, all their insults and taunts during his thirteen years of his mission in Makkah. The thing which really hurt prophet the most was when this Abdullah said to the prophet “I would not believe in you, untill you bring a ladder and go up into sky, then come back from there bringing a written down book and four angels who give testimony that this is a book of Allah….and even then I doubt if I will believe you”!! Coming from a first cousin of prophet, these were harsh and strange word indeed!! Prophet migrated to Madina along with his followers, and this Abdullah remained in Makkah along with those enemies of prophet……time took a turn and after eight years prophet returned to Makkah in full glory. It ws time when these people recognised their mistakes. Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN, went to prophet to ask for his pardon. Prophet turned his face away from them. His wife UMME SALAMAH, said to the prophet “Your cousins Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN are at your door asking for your pardon” “What sort of cousins are these to me, do you know what they did and said to me while I was in Makkah” said the prophet and refused to meet them. They went disheartened and met Ali, another cousin of prophet. Ali told them, to use the same tactics as was used by the brethren of Joseph when they asked pardon from their brother Joseph. Accordingly this Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN went and waited outside the door of prophet and when he came out recited the following verse from Quran “By Allah! He favored you over me, We were indeed those who did wrong” …… Prophet looked at an instant for those two, smiled and completed the Quranic verse “There is no blame on you this day, May Allah forgive you, for He is oft-forgiving Most Merciful”! Thus prophet used his :sword of Magnimony and Mercy” to enslave these of his kinfolks fro ever!!
42. The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH
43. The Case of : ABDULLAH (DUL BAJADAIN)
42. The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH had earlier accepted Islam. Since he knew how to read and write, prophet had taken him to be one of his scribe. Whenever any new revelation came, prophet used to call him and write it down, since prophet did not know how to read and write. He went to Madina and was being used for this duty. It so happened that when prophet was dictating one verse of Quran, he stopped just before completing the verse, ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH prompted with some ending words and prophet said “yes, this is how this verse ends”. This incident caused turbulence in the heart of ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH and he thought that I can also write verses like Quran. He therefore went back from Islam and went back to Makkah boasting that “Mohammad does not know about revelation, it is me, who tell him what to write and he speaks”. Prophet was extremely pained by this false charge against him….when prophet conquered Makkah, he declared general amnesty but with some exceptions. ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH’ s name was amongst those who were exempted from this general amnesty. His crime was double, going back on Islam and laying a false charge against the prophet. ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH came to know about it, and he hid himself. After some days he approached prophet thru some emissary, asking for pardon and saying that he was extremely ashamed of his past conduct. Using his “Sword of Mercy and Pardon” prophet declared his pardon and he became one of Good Muslims. During the caliphate of Othman this ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH was one of the renowned Islamic warrior and he conquered many new areas for Islamic army. His record as a Warrior and Just ruler are recorded in Islamic history books. 43. The Case of : ABDULLAH (DUL BAJADAIN) He was a young lad, whose father died when he was quite young.. His uncle took care of him and provided him with camels and other items of daily life, to improve his lot. Abdullah heard about Islam when he was very young, he was afraid of his uncle and was hoping that he would become Muslim sooner or later. When prophet conquered Makkah and still his uncle did not accept Islam, he went to his uncle and told “I was waiting all these years, hoping that you would accept Islam, but it seems you have no interest in it, but I want to accept Islam”
‘If you want to become Muslim you will have to forgo all your wealth including clothes on your body” his uncle told harshly. Abdullah immediately renounce all his wealth and dress on his body and went to his mother, naked and told that he has left all his wealth and he want to go to Madina to become Muslim. His mother gave him one blanket, which he cut in two pieces and wrapped around his torso and his shoulder and went to Madina. He reached Madina during night and went to Prophet’s mosque and waited for prophet to emerge. Prophet saw him after morning prayer and asked his story, Abdullah told his full story, prophet was very much impressed by his sincerity and his faith. He accepted Islam and prophet gave him nickname DUL BAJADAIN which means “One with two blankets”. Abdullah joined the group of SUFFA and started his learning of Quran and Islamic way of life. Shortly afterward Battle of Tabuk took place. DUL BAJADAIN went to prophet and said “O Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah that I receive martyrdom in this battle” Prophet asked him to bring the bark of a tree to him. When he came with the bark, prophet tied it on his arm as an arm band and said “O Allah! I prohibit that any Non believer should shed his blood” DUL BAJADAIN said “I wanted martyrdom, but you have said a thing totally opposite” Prophet replied “If you go forward in way of Allah and you die due to any cause, you are a martyr” When the army reached Tabuk, DUL BAJADAIN was inflicted with high fever and he died after a brief illness. He was buried during night, with Bilal holding the torch, and Abu Bakr and Omar were lowering him in the grave and prophet was sitting near the grave giving instruction. When the body was lowered in the grave, prophet prayed “O Allah! I was happy with him till this evening, you also become happy with him” IBN MASOOD wished, “Oh would I have been in this grave”. Such was the strange story of Abdullah i.e. DUL BAJADAIN victim of Prophet’ and Islam’ love.
44. The Case of Social boycott of KA’B BIN MALIK:
The case of KA’B BIN MALIK and his repentance, if not unique, is extremely rare to find in the annals of religious history of the world. There are important lessons in it for both Muslims and Non Muslims. We are fortunate that KA’B BIN MALIK has himself narrated this incident. Before we present excerpts from that, I would like to clarify the situation of this Compaign and its criticality for the survival of Nascent Islamic state of Madina. A. Time period of Tabuk Compaign: 1. This happened in the year 10 H, the year before last year of Prophet’s life. By that Time, Makkah had been conquered and most people of Arabia had entered into Islam. 2. Tribes which had not became Muslim, accepted the authority of Muslims and made treaties of obedience with the prophet. For perhaps the first time in the history of Arabia, whole country was joined under the rule of one authority. 3. There was internal peace in Arabia, but adjoining the Land of Arabia, there were two vast empires of Persia and Byzantine. 4. When Arabs were divided into tribes and clans and fought with each other, these two empires did not give any importance to Arabia or Arabs. But ever since the mission of prophet started and specially after his migration to Madina and Islamic state getting stronger day by day, caused some anxiety in these neighboring superpowers. 5. In the year 6 AH, Prophet sent letters to the rulers of Persia and Byzantine and addressing them on equal terms and asking them “Accept Islam and you will save yourself”. This was “Too much a jolt” to these rulers who never expected an Arab to address them like that!! 6. Persian ruler, sent communiqué to his Governor in Yemen to arrest “this prophet” and send him to Persia. But before the decree could be enforced, he was killed by his own son and the idea was forgotten. 7. Byzantine ruler on the other hand thought of invading Madina and finish this “emerging danger” before it could cause real harm. He started preparation to enlist services of a large army experienced in desert warfare to invade Madina and finish this chapter of Prophethood..
B. Prophet’s preparation for Tabuk Expedition: 1. Prophet had his informers all around Arabia who used to inform him about what was being planned, so the information of a large Byzantine Army to invade Madina reached prophet well in time. 2. In a most prudent and brave decision, prophet thought it fit to take the battles to Byzantine themselves. He decided to march to border town of Tabuk and prevent enemies of Islam into invading Islamic lands. 3. Since this was a real fight against a Superpower of that time, prophet sent open invitation to every one to join in this expedition. It became a test of faith to join this compaign. No one but a known Hypocrite or invalid excused himself from joining this compaign. 4. It was a harsh time for outside compaign, the heat wave was at peak, Harvest time for dates was very close, the distance was more than 800 KM and the enemy was Byzantine Empire. It was a supreme test of faith, patience and perseverance. 5. To cut a long story short, prophet left with an army of 30,000 of Muslims to Tabuk. He reached and waited there but, he found out that the news of Byzantine invasion was not true (or the enemy did not think it fit to confront Muslims at this time). 6. Prophet and Muslims returned to Madina safe and unharmed and every one in the neighboring land was amazed at the daring of Prophet (that within 20 years after this event, Muslims captured the most of empires of Persia and Byzantine is another story). Now back to our story of KA’B BIN MALIK in his own words: (abridged and translated into English)
KA’B BIN MALIK narrates : Back Ground: 1. I was one of the earliest converts to Islam from Madina and I always accompanied the prophet during his various campaigns. 2. I only missed the Battle of Badr, because it was not clear when prophet left Madina that he is going to fight Makkan army. It was thought that prophet’s target is the Caravan of QURAISH…. 3. When the time of Tabuk expedition came, I was very comfortable physically and financially. I had two well fed she camels, ready for journey and I also had horses. 4. It was only lethargy on my part that prevented me from going along side the prophet. I thought that let me stay for a few days and then I would move and catch the prophet en route. 5. The days changed into weeks and I could only find, old and aged people and those who were known hypocrites living in Madina. 6. I was feeling shame, but now there was no way in which I could catch the prophet en route. I waited for prophet’s return. Prophet’ return: 7. Prophet returned from the expedition, and as was his custom, he stayed in Mosque and those who left behind came and presented their excuses. All hypocrites came forwarded and said their excuses and prophet pardoned them and said nothing. 8. I also came forward and told the prophet “I can also make excuses, but I know that Allah will bring my lies in the open, so I confess that I have no excuse whatsoever. I ask forgiveness from Allah for my mistake” 9. Prophet said “You have spoken the truth, now go back to your home and wait for Allah’ decision” 10. I was told that two other Muslims had told the same thing as me and were also given orders to go home and wait for Allah’ forgiveness.
Boycott Begins: 11. Prophet gave instructions that No Muslim was to speak to us or deal with us in any matter. In one instance we became the outcast of the land. 12. My other two fellows took to their houses and spent their time in weeping and praying to Allah. I was strong and I used to go to prophet’s mosque, pray with him and see his reactions. I found that when I looked at him, he did not look at me. But when I was looking elsewhere, he would look at me. 13. My life became miserable. At the end of thirty days, prophet sent me a word to send my wife to her parents. I asked if I was to divorce her, the answer came “No, but stay away from her”. 14. At the end of 40 days, I found a trader from Syria , looking for me in market place. He gave me a letter from Christian ruler, sympathizing with me and asking me to come to them and I would be most welcome. 15. I wept and burned the letter and cried to Allah that my disgrace has reached so far away. End of Boycott: 16. It was after 50 days that our trial ended. Allah accepted our repentance and revealed verses pardoning us. 17. I went to prophet, his face was shining, and he congratulated me on my faith and perseverance and recited the verses to me. I wanted to donate my whole wealth, but prophet asked me to give away only 1/3rd in charity. I thank Allah and his messenger for saving me from this trial. Quranic verses revealed on this occasion are”(He turned in mercy also) to the three who were left behind: (they felt guilty) to such a degree that the earth seemed constrained to them, for all its spaciousness, and their (very)souls seemed straitened to them: and they perceived that there is no fleeing from Allah (and no refuge) but to Himself, then He turned to them, that they might repent: for Allah if oft-forgiving Most Merciful” (9:118) What an strange and marvellous story!!
45. The Strange Case of HMZA’S Daughter :
Prologue: Before Islam came to Arabs, the girl child was a neglected in the Arab society. She was looked down and at many times, she was buried at the time of death. If she grew up, she had no right in property of Father, or husband. When the news of birth of a girl child was brought to the parents, their faces grew large, Quran has drawn this picture in beautiful words like below: “When news is brought to one of them of (the birth of a) female (child), his face darkens, and he is filled with inward grief! With shame does he hide himself from the people, because of the bad news he has had! Shall he retain it on (sustenance and) contempt or bury it in the dust? Ah! What an evil (choice) they decide on” (16:58-61) Islam’ teaching on Girl Child: From the very beginning Islam banned this hideous practice, condemning it in the strongest term. Prophet said that “if some one has two daughters or more and he takes care of them and does not give any favorable treatment to boys over them and then marries them off, he shall enter the paradise” Islam gave property and trading rights to women, she was declared as a legal person. Prophet advised his followers to be kind to their daughters and wives and mothers and sisters. So much so that lot of women improved beyond any imagination in such a short time. The incident given below happened in year 7 AH, approximately 20 years after prophet had started preaching his mission. HAMZA and his daughter: HAMZA was the real uncle of prophet. He was only two years older than the prophet. He was also a suckle brother of prophet as both were given suckle by THUWAIBIYAH, a slave girl of ABU LAHAB. HAMZA accepted Islam in sixth or seventh year of prophet’s mission. Story of his conversion and his tragic death has already been chronicled in this series earlier. HAMZA was martyred in the battle of OHUD that took place in year 3AH. He left one daughter at the time of his death, but both mother and child lived in Makkah and the child’s age was between 6-7 years when this story took place.
Prophet’s entry to Makkah: In year 6 AH prophet came to perform UMRAH, along with 1400 of his followers. He was prevented from doing so by Makkah people and ultimately a treaty was struck between Prophet and Makkah people. This treaty is called Treaty of HUDAIBIAH and is really a mile stone in the history of Islam. As per terms of the treaty, prophet had to go back to Madina and he could come next year for UMRAH and would be allowed to stay for only 3 days in Makkah. So the prophet came to Makkah in year 7AH with the same 1400 followers, who were refused entry last year. After performing UMRAH and end of three years, the prophet had mounted his camel to return to Madina, when the daughter of HAMZA came running, saying Uncle, Uncle, what about me? Three claimants for HAMZA ‘s daughter: People saw the strange site that a few years ago, there was no claimant for a girl child, now three claimants stood to take custody of this Girl Child, they were Ali, Cousin of Prophet, JAAFAR, brother of Ali and ZAID, the adopted son of Prophet!! The case came before prophet and he asked every claimant to present his logic: A. Ali ‘s Case: Ali said, she is daughter of My uncle and she is my sister B. JAFAR’ s Case: He said the same thing as Ali had said, and added her KHALA (sister of Child’s Mother) is my wife. C. ZAID ‘s Case: He said that she is daughter of my brother (by Arab culture of adopted son being like real son). Prophet decided in favor of ZAFAR saying “KHALA is like mother” (so it shall be in the best interest of the girl child). And he consoled Ali by saying “Ali is from me and I am from Ali) and he consoled ZAID by saying “He is like me in conduct”. What a strange reversal of Arab society in mere 20 years for a Girl child!! Don’t you think?
46. The Case of : ABD YALAIL AL THAQAFI 47. The Case of : BAREEDA BIN AL HASB AL ASLAMI 48. The Case of : ZAID BIN SANEA’, A JEW OF MEDINA
46. The Case of : ABD YALAIL AL THAQAFI ABD YALAIL was one of the chief of Taif, the garden city and summer capital of Makkah people. The city of Taif is situated approx 100 KM from the city of Makkah and it situated at the height of 6000 – 7000 feet above sea level. Its climate is very moderate during the peak summer months. When he prophet declared his mission, for many years he only addressed to Makkah people and those of Arabian tribes who came to visit Makkah during Hajj and UMRAH. But when his uncle Abu Talib died, prophet started thinking of finding abase outside Makkah as there was no one to support him there. The first place that came to his mind was the nearby city of Taif. So he went there for the purpose of propagating his mission. Taif in those days was ruled by ABD YALAIL and his two brothers. All these three behaved in a very rude manner. Which was so unbefitting for a ruler to behave towards a visitor from outside their lands. Not only that, when prophet was returning dejected from their lands, this ABD YALAIL asked children and vagrants of the land to throw pebbles and stones at the prophet, to injure his and his feet. When prophet captured Makkah in year 8 AH, he laid a siege of the city of Taif, but he removed the siege and left Taif when he found that it would be a very long siege. He used his another weapon “prayer” which was more powerful than all other worldly weapons combined!! While leaving Taif , he prayed “O Allah! Bring THAQIF (tribe of Taif) to me”. This prayer was accepted by Allah, and barely 80 to 90 days had passed when a deputation from Taif visited Madina. ABD YALAIL was also amber of this deputation. After some arguments, the whole delegation accepted Islam and returned to their land. There were five leaders in that mission, including ABU MAS’OOD. All these people invited their people to Islam, but the people of Taif threw stones at them and due to which ABU MAS’OOD died the death of martyr. The people of Taif felt their guilt at what they had done to their earlier leader and then with the preaching of ABD YALAIL and other people, accepted Islam in one day. What a change had come over this ABD YALAIL, he was once very rude to prophet , now he was chief propagator of his faith, who can doubt the affectivity of “Sword of Prayer and Pardon” which the prophet wielded so effectively.
47. The Case of : BAREEDA BIN AL HASB AL ASLAMI This refers to the time when Prophet had left Makkah and was on this journey to Madina. People of Makkah had declared a prize of 100 camels to anyone who would capture him and bring him back to Makkah. Many people had left in different directions, for the search of looking fugitives, BAREEDA BIN AL HASB was also one of them. He left his house on his horse, with a firm resolve not to return back till he has achieved his mission. While going, he was told by some people that three people on two camels have just gone this route a few hours back. BAREEDA BIN AL HASB thought that these might be the persons whom he was looking. So he went in that directions on his horse fast. A few miles along, he saw two camels on which two persons were sitting, one of them was prophet and second one was his friend Abu Bakr, Prophet was reciting Quran in a loud voice and every thing seemed to listening his recitation. BAREEDA BIN AL HASB reached near and the sounds reached to his ears, the magic of Quran started working on his heart and remove the dust of false beliefs and teachings which had surrounded it. When the sound of horse reached prophet, he stopped his camel and looked back at BAREEDA BIN AL HASB. When BAREEDA BIN AL HASB had a close look at the prophet’s face he cried out “This cannot be the face of a liar and a false prophet”. He immediately declared his faith to Islam and he tied a cloth as flag on his spear and went on his horse in front of camels of Prophet and his companion as a vanguard and body guard. What a strange change from a booty hunter to a body guard in one instant, who can question the effectiveness of “Sword of Quran and Prophet’ smiling face”…..two of the strongest swords in his armor!! 48. The Case of : ZAID BIN SANEA’, A JEW OF MEDINA ZAID BIN SANEA’ was a Jew who lived in Madina. When the prophet came to Madina and started his mission there, he was partly convinced of the message, but he had some doubts of his own. He had learned in his scriptures, about the perseverance quality of the Last Prophet, that was to come into the world, whom Moses and other Jewish prophets had described. He was looking for some opportunity to put his own tests on this quality of prophet. He was not long to wait, for prophet entered into some borrowing deal with ZAID BIN SANEA’ and borrowed some money or some food from him, the loan was to be repaid after a fixed number of days.
The deadline for payment was still three or four days away, when ZAID BIN SANEA’ came to see the prophet, and found him sitting amongst his companions and teaching them about Islam. Without any formality or greetings (as the usual custom amongst Jews and Muslims alike), he addressed the Prophet in following words: “O Mohammad, when are you going to repay my loan? I know that Family of Abdul MUTTALIB (the grandfather of prophet) are always tightfisted and they try to cheat people on each and every deal” Companions of the prophet were stunned by this way of addressing and laying false accusations against prophet and his whole family. Omar could not control his anger and he shouted “O Enemy of Allah! Do you know to whom you are talking” then he asked the prophet to allow him to strike at the neck of this uncouth person. Prophet maintained his calm and said to Omar. “Omar, you have not done the justice, he is the man with a claim against him, you should have told me to repay my loan and he should have told this man to be easy in his demands”. Then prophet ordered Omar to go and repay the loan amount and add some more, to expiate for his hash words to the creditor. ZAID BIN SANEA’ left with Omar, got repaid and came back and declared his faith of Islam. He told the prophet “I only wanted to test your patience, because no one but a prophet can maintain his calm and patience under these harsh situations”. Such was the strange case of ZAID BIN SANEA’ who was enslaved by the “Sword of Patience and calmness” of the many swords which the prophet wielded to his friends and foes alike!
49. The Case of : SURAQA BIN MALIK
This case also refers to the journey which prophet took during his flight from Makkah to Madina. When prophet decided to migrate ha and his close friend Abu Baker, took their flight during dead night, they first stayed for thee days in the cave of AL THAUR, located 2-3 miles from Makkah in the direction of Yemen. When the morning came and Makkah people found out that prophet and Abu Bakr had left their houses and would certainly head towards Madina, they went on looking for them in all directions. They even came very close to the cave where prophet had taken refuge…..this incident is very beautifully described in the following verse of Quran: “If you do not help (Your leader) (It is no matter) for Allah did indeed help him, when the unbelievers drove him out: he had no more than one companion: they two were in the cave, and he said to his companion “Have no fear, for Allah is with us”: Then Allah sent down His peace upon him, and strengthened him with forces which you did not see….” (9:40) When Makkah people could not find his, they declared a booty of 100 camels to any one who would bring the fugitives back to Makkah or provide (certain) information about their whereabouts. SURAQA was living in a village, between Makkah and Madina, he also heard about the declaration of Makkah people. One morning he was sitting with some people, when some one mentioned that he had seen two people going on camel near the sea. SURAQA immediately surmised that they might be the persons who were wanted….but he did not want to share the prize with others, so he dismissed the person, saying that they could be such and such. But when people had left, he took his horse and went in the indicated direction as fast as his horse could take him. After some distance he saw two camels ahead, and at the same time, his horse took a wobble. SURAQA took his arrows of divination to check about its mission, it came negative, but he perceived his course. When SURAQA came very near to the camels, front feet of his horse went deep into the sand upto half their lengths, he again look for divination, the answer came in negative. So he was convinced that he would never succeed in his mission. He called in a loud voice for peace and assured that he meant no harm. SURAQA went to prophet and related his story, he assured prophet that he would not have to fear for any one approaching from this direction as SURAQA would take care of it. SURAQA then asked prophet to give him a written assurance of protection. Since prophet did not know how to read and write, Abu Bakr gave him that deed and SURAQA went back happy. A booty hunter to a Protected man in a few moment! That is sure a very effective sword!
50. the case of: zaid bin haritha, the "adopted son" of prophet
Importance: This case refers to the time, much before the prophet declared his mission. When the story begins, he was just married for a few years to lady Khadija and leading a peaceful and silent life in Makkah city. This story also tells character of prophet from an early age and gave some signs of his future greatness. Everyone knows the difficulties in the life of a slave and when we see the old history of Arabia and see how the slaves were treated, it was unimaginable, how some one will choose slavery over freedom. But that is exactly what happened in this case. Early History: This Zaid was the son of Haritha and from an Arabian Tribe. He came to attend a fair in Arabia along with his father and uncle and other members. Somehow he was lost in the crowd and some one found him and made him as slave and tried to sell him at another fair held close to Makkah. He was quite young, being 8 years or close to that, Hakeem Bin Hazam, a cousin of Lady Khadija purchased him and gave it as a gift to Lady Khadija. Lady Khadija gave him to her recently married husband, who was to later known in the world as "Prophet Mohammad". So this Zaid became the personal assistant of the future prophet, he observed the good nature and steadfastness of his character, which a boy can observe thru his "bias free" eyes. Zaid's relatives come looking for him: Meanwhile the father and uncle of Zaid were looking everywhere for him, they searched from place to place until someone told them that they had seen the boy in Makkah. So his father and his uncle came to Makkah to take the boy back with them. They also brought sufficient money with them to buy back the boy from his masters, if need be. So they came to prophet and told them their story, how this innocent boy was separated from his family and made into a slave and then sold from hand to hand. They asked prophet to take back the money he paid and free Zaid so he could be re-united with his family.
Prophet's Reply: The prophet was much moved by this story, however he and the boy got attached to each other in all these years. So he said 'I will put a proposal before you, which I think you will consider fair". He said 'Ask the Boy, if he wants to go back with you or wants to stay with me. If he chooses you, then I will set him free and will not ask for any money. But if he decides to stay with me, you will not force him to go with you" It is more than a fair proposal, both father and uncle agreed and then they ask that Zaid be called and asked the question. Zaid's Choice: When Zaid came, and saw his father and uncle sitting with prophet, he was astonished! Seeing his father after so many years of captivity. "Do you recognize these people" Prophet asked Zaid. "Yes, he is my father and he is my uncle" Replied Zaid. Then prophet gave him the choice to go back or stay with him. Without a moment's hesitation, Zaid replied that he will stay with prophet than go back to his own people. His father and uncle were shocked, choosing slavery over freedom? It was unheard of. They asked Zaid, why he made this choice? Zaid replied "I have seen so many good qualities in this person that I do not want to separate from him. This slavery is worth much more to me than the so called freedom" So Zaid stayed with prophet and his father and uncle returned being happy and contended that their boy was in good hands and happy!!
Prophet Adopts Zaid: Prophet was much moved by the sayings of Young Zaid, so he took him to Kaaba and said in a loud voice, From this day, Zaid is my Son, I shall inherit from him and he shall inherit from me. (This was the usual custom of Adoption in Makkah of those days) . So from that day, Zaid was called as Zaid the Son of Mohammad. Later history: Prophet got Zaid married to Umme Ayman, slave girl which he inherited and from them Osama was born and prophet used to love Osama as he used to love his grand sons Hasan and Husain from Fatima his daughter. Later Prophet got Zaid married to Zainab his first cousin, and when the marriage did not work out and Zaid divorced her, Allah asked Prophet to marry Zainab so that the "unfair practice of Adoption" be removed from the muslim society. And Zaid was killed in the battle field in the battle of Mauta fought in the year 8 AH. Such is the strange story of Zaid and how he was captured and enslaved for life, seeing the good behavior of prophet.
51. The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ BIN SALOOL OF KHAZRAJ tribe
There were cases in which “All Swords” the prophet used to have at his disposal failed and one can say that he failed to “enslave” some people. There were some who faced Muslim army in the battle field and were slain, and there were a few cases which were executed on the order of prophet (which we shall take up in the next episode). But the case of people like ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ falls under the category of Hypocrites or those “in whose heart there is a disease” (As Quran mentions in its magical way). Despite Quranic warning and injunctions to prophet and to Muslims to deal firmly with them and even kill them , The Prophet dealt with much leniently with them and during his life time and life time of his companions, we do not find a single case, where some one was executed on the charge of being a hypocrite. Early History: ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ belonged to KHAZRAJ tribe of Madina. He was an acknowledged leader of the clan. Before the prophet migrated to Madina, it was decided that he would be crowned “King Of Madina”. All preparations were made and the crown was also made, but before the ceremony could be held. Islam came to Madina and shortly after wards, prophet migrated to Madina. When prophet reached Madina, he was universally agreed as the Sole Authority for Muslims in all matters, religious or secular. Most people of tribes living in Madina became Muslim. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ perceived that his position was usurped by the prophet. But since he was in minority, he could not openly oppose the prophet, he and some of his followers became what is called as “a group of Hypocrites” in Madina. Activities of Hypocrites: These people declared Islam because of fear of Majority of Muslims living in Madina, but they were not Muslims by heart. Their sympathies and all their good will was with any one who was enemy of Islam and prophet. Be it Pagans of Makkah, pagan tribes of desert or Jews of Madina. They wanted to exploit each and every situation to create discord and division between people of Median, or people who migrated from Makkah. They used to circulate false rumor before, during and after wars so as to discourage the moral of Muslims, and in battles, they were with Non Believers, irrespective of their physical presence. These hidden enemies were a bigger threat to stability and security of Small Islamic state of Madina than much larger enemies who were living outside Madina.
Quran mentions many of their activities, which I have to skip to save space on the thread. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and his dealings with prophet: Prophet used to deal kindly with ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and his clan and tried every means at his disposal to reform them, but it were of no avail. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ tried his best to be haughty to prophet and other Muslims and left no chance to insult them, some of more important cases are mentioned here: 1. During the Battle of UHUD: ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and 300 of his supporters initially joined Muslim army of 1000 people to face Makkan army of 3000. On the way, he and his group turned back to Madina complaining that Prophet had ignored their advice and accepted advise of some young people of Madina. Loss of 33 % at the eve of battle could have proved catastrophic. 2. During siege of BANU NADHEER: ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ sent message to Jews of this tribe, asking them to remain firm and he will come to their aid. But he did not dare to come in the open. When they surrendered to prophet , he almost forced the prophet to be lenient with them and allow them to go away. 3. During the Battle of BANI MUSTALIQ: There arose some small disagreement between original residents of Madina and those who migrated from Makkah. Hypocrites used this opportunity to enflame this dispute into a full fledged war, Prophet reached and got the situation under control. Later ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ said to his followers “I was saying to you, do not give shelter to these beggars from Makkah, now you have seen how strong they have become and are now bossing over you. When we shall reach Madina, we the Honorable people would turn out those wretched people from there”. This news reached to prophet and he called ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and enquired about it. He changed his stance and said that he never said such a thing. Allah confirmed his saying in a Verse of Quran. Abdullah the son of this Hypocrite in Chief was a true Muslim, when people reached Madina, he stood at the gate with naked sword and said to his father “You said I am honorable and Prophet and Muslims are wretched people, By Allah, unless Prophet allows you, you will never be able to enter Madina” The news reached the prophet and he told Abdullah to allow his father to enter the city.
4. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and false charge on Aiyesha the Wife of Prophet: It was the same hypocrite who put a false charge of adultery against the most beloved wife of prophet. Due to these slanders, Prophet, his wife Aiyesha and her household had to undergo almost one month of mental torture. In the end Allah revealed in Quran verses, exposing the falsehood of this charge. Muslims who had joined in the propaganda were punished with 80 lashes each, but prophet did not punish ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ saying that “punishment of hereafter shall suffice him” 5. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ death and prophet’s Mercy: Shortly afterward ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ died and his son came to prophet, so that he should lead the funeral prayer for him. Prophet gave his shirt, so that it could be used as his burial cloth, ….personally lead the funeral prayer….put into grave with his own hands and prayed for his forgiveness. Omar caught the garment of prophet and said “How can you lead the funeral prayer and pray for him, when he said that and that and acted like this and this” Prophet ignored the pleas of Omar and said that “Allah has given me choice to pray for them or not. If I was sure that by asking forgiveness for more than 70 times, Allah will accept it, I would do it” After this incident Allah instructed prophet, never to lead funeral prayer of any Hypocrite or pray for them. Such was ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ on which None of the Swords of Prophet were effective and he went “Scot free” or do you think so? !!
52. The Case of : MARBA’ BIN QAIDHI, THE BLIND MAN OF MADINA
52. The Case of : MARBA’ BIN QAIDHI, THE BLIND MAN OF MADINA MARBA’ BIN QAIDHI was a blind man, who lived outside Madina in a garden that lay along the route of Mount of OHUD. He was one of the party of Hypocrites of Madina, supporter of Abdullah Bin UBAI, the hypocrite in Chief. On the day of Battle of OHUD, when prophet started with an army of 1000, and after going a short distance Abdullah bin UBAI, the hypocrite along with his 300 followers, deserted Muslim army and went back to Madina, claiming that “prophet did not accept his advice, but accepted advice of young lads of Madina”. Prophet marched with remaining 700 of his followers to the plains of OHUD, on the way they passed the gardens of this MARBA’ BIN QAIDHI the blind Hypocrite, He heard the commotion and came out of his hut and shouted “O Mohammad! I do not give you permission to pass thru my land. If you are a Messenger of Allah, then you will not pass thru my land without permission” Then he took a handful of sand and threw it towards prophet saying “By Allah, if I knew this will reach your eyes, I would have done so”! Companions of prophet became very angry and went forward to punish him… “Leave him Alone” said the Prophet “He is blind in his eyes and in his heart” That was all what prophet did to him and went ahead. There are some people on which “No sword” is really effective. The sword of patience and mercy of prophet had little effect on such blind people!! Our prophet was not only a preacher. He was also an able administrator and a just ruler. Those who have experience of administration know when to act tough and when to act with leniency. A King, Ruler and President knows which criminal to pardon and which to get executed. Those who do not have this experience may only speak in idealistic terms. Such idealistic persons are never able to administer any country or state with efficiency. Beside so many “Swords” which we have mentioned earlier on this thread. He also had a sword of steel. When no other sword worked and the only solution was to wield the sword of steel, he used that also. Any one who has read his biography knows that how reluctantly he had to use it. We present below, some of these cases, where prophet had to use the sword of steel.
53. The Case of : KA,AB BIN ASHRAF, THE JEWish Poet of medina
Enemies of Islam have made this into a big scandal and accuse prophet of most cruelty in ordering secret killing of KA,AB BIN ASHRAF , the Jew living in Madina. KA,AB BIN ASHRAF belonged to one of the Jewish tribe of Madina. He was a rich man and he was also a poet. When prophet reached Madina, he made a written pact with Jews of Madina of mutual respect and mutual defense against aggression from outside enemies. Prophet was of the hope that these Jews being people with Torah and with concept of Monotheism and prophet hood and revelation, would recognize his credentials and would join Muslim nation of Madina. But things took a different course, these Jews were having a sort of superiority complex against Arabs and were of the opinion that Prophethood and revelation were the exclusive rights of Jews and no one outside 12 Jewish tribes would be made a prophet. So they rejected the message of prophet and tried every thing in their power to bring the downfall of prophet and his followers. In Madina they had a “natural” ally in the form of Hypocrites and outside Madina, in the form of Pagan Arabs. Arabs in general regarded Jews and their scholars as a learned lot and asked many questions from them regarding this “new prophet”. On these occasions instead of speaking the truth, Jews used to console those Pagan Arabs, saying that they were on a better path than the one towards which prophet was calling them. In these tense circumstances and mutual hatred, the famous Battle of Badr took place. Hypocrites of Madina and Jews were more than confident, that Muslim army would be routed by the Makkah people and that will make the end of prophet and his mission. But, due to grace of Allah, Muslims won a spectacular victory at Badr, which established them as a firm and emerging force in Arabia. Hypocrites and Jews of Madina felt extreme sadness at the victory of Muslims and their hatred increased many fold, and they were almost etching to pick up a fight with Prophet and Muslims. They did not had to wait for long. The tribe of BANU QAINUQAH, were the first to break the treaty with prophet, and had to vacate Madina. This further added to the hatred of remaining two tribes that were living in Madina. KA,AB BIN ASHRAF who in addition to being rich was also a very good poet. He went to Makkah for a visit, met the leaders of QURAISH there, consoled each and every of the clan of those who were killed at the battle of Badr and wrote their eulogies in the form of MARTHIAH. When he came back, from Makkah, he started using his poetry against Islam and started lampooning prophet and his message. What more he started making fun of Muslim ladies in his poems. This was an act which indicated a very low and mean mentality.
Prophet and Muslims kept quite for some time, hoping he would desist, but he took their silence as a mark of cowardice and fear from jews. Prophet felt that if he openly killed KA,AB BIN ASHRAF it might result in open warfare with Jews, which was not in the best interest of either them or Muslims, as it would cause a lot of blood shed in Madina. He therefore wanted KA,AB BIN ASHRAF to be executed silently. One day he asked that which of the Muslims would take care of KA,AB BIN ASHRAF as he has caused much suffering to Allah and His Messenger. Mohammad bin MASALLAMA, one young man of ANSARS, volunteered for the job. He and some of his friends visited KA,AB BIN ASHRAF in the night, on the pretext of taking some loan from him and then pounced on him and killed him. Jews were terrified when they learned about the killing of KA,AB BIN ASHRAF and refrained from actions of open hostilities against prophet and Muslims. So by killing one person, prophet was able to save life of many Jews and Muslims in Madina. That shows that “how careful and selective was prophet, even in his use of Sword of Steel”!!
53. The Case of : UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET 55. The Case of : NADHER BIN HARITH 56. The case of: UBAI’ BIN KHALAF OF MAKKAH
53. The Case of : UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET was an influential chief of Makkah. He was one of the strongest opponent of Prophet when he was preaching his mission in Makkah. He used to taunt and make fun of prophet whenever he used to address people or was giving any sermon. On one occasion when Prophet was praying in Kaaba and was in the act of prostration, this stone hearted man, asked some one to get intestines and other rejected parts of a slain camel to put on the back of prophet. Due to this weight, prophet was unable to situp from prostration. UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET and his group were laughing and enjoying the scene. Some one informed Fatima the daughter of prophet who came running and removed the filth from his back. When prophet finished his prayer and lifted his hands towards sky and said “O Allah! You take care of UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET , Abu JAHL….and a few others” This filled all these persons with fear. UQBAH BIN ABU MU’EET was with the army of Makkan when they went for the battle of Badr, he was captured during the battle. He was being taken to Madina, when one night prophet saw him joking and laughing and as if his captivity had not made any change in his attitude towards life. So prophet ordered that he be executed and he along with another captive (whose case is next) was executed. The prophet had to use “steel sword on some one” when he was convinced that he should be made an example for others. We abide by his judgment. 55. The Case of : NADHER BIN HARITH He was also one of the prominent person of Makkah and a very staunch enemy of Islam and prophet. When the stories of prophets were revealed in Quran, he used to say that these are nothing but tales of past and imaginary stories. Then he went to Syria and Iran and brought from there books of their folklore and old stories. These he used to recite during nigh gathering of Makkah people, so as to wean them away from listening to Quran. Some commentrators say that he was the person mentioned in 31:6-7, which read: “But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (for meaning) to mislead (men) from the path of Allah and ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating penality. When our signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there was deafness inboth his ears: announce to him a grieveious Penality”
NADHER BIN HARITH also took part in the battle of Badr, and was taken captive during the war. He was also one whom prophet ordered to be killed along with UQBAH BIN MU”EET. After his death, his daughter wrote an obituary for him in poem where she said “O prophet of Allah, NADHER also deserved from your mercy as you did for your other kins….” When prophet heard it, he said, if I had heard it before, I would have spared his life. But what was done, it cannot be taken back. 56. The case of: UBAI’ BIN KHALAF OF MAKKAH UBAI’ BIN KHALAF was a resident of Makkah, he was one of the most bitter enemy of Mohammad during his days of Preaching in Makkah. There were many people in Makkah who did not accept his message and rejected him and his message. Most of these people however respected the Prophet personally and aside from theological differences, did not use abusive language against prophet. There were few people , however, who exceeded this bound and crossed all limits of social behaviour and decency when opposing him and his message, amongst such person was this UBAI’ BIN KHALAF, he used to taunt the prophet and used to lampoon his personality. He used to come to say to the prophet, I have a horse and I feed him grain every day, so that he become big and powerful, I will ride on it and kill you from that horse….prophet used to keep quite listening to his boasts….when the things continued for many times….one day Prophet said, INSHALLAH, I will kill you one day. UBAI’ BIN KHALAF got very much scared hearing these words of prophet, and he went away quietly thinking very hard. He missed the Battle of Badr some how….but he was with Makkan army when the Battle of Ohud took place….he was riding on his “fit and powerful” horse. When the Muslim army went into disarray…and false news of prophet being killed spread like wildfire, this UBAI’ BIN KHALAF went in search of prophet saying “If Mohammad slipped from me this day, I will never get another chance to fulfill my vow” He went on searching for prophet on the battle field, until he found prophet injured and surrounded by his few followers, He charged towards the prophet asking him to come forward and fight…..the followers wanted to stop him, but the prophet said, “No, let him come”. When he reached near the prophet, prophet took a small spear from one of his companions, dodged his weapon and hit him with the spear which just scratched his skin
near the neck. He made a loud noise and went away shouting “Mohammad has killed me,. Mohammad has killed me!” He went back with the Makkan army howling and crying….Abu Sufyan, The Commander of Makkan army, , admonished him saying “It is only a facial wound, why you are making so much hue and cry about it” “You do not know in how much pain I am” said UBAI’ BIN KHALAF “Mohammad had said to me in Makkah, Inshallah , I will kill you, by God, if he would have even spit on me, I would die”. He went on crying and howling in pain till he died from that would during return journey to Makkah a few days later. UBAI’ BIN KHALAF holds the dubious distinction of being the only human, to be killed at the hands of Prophet. Looser and hopeless is really the one who had to pick the “Sword of Steel” from the hands of prophet, ignoring all other “Swords” that he wielded. Such was UBAI’ BIN KHALAF and such was his inglorious end.
57. The Case of : IBN KHATAL 58. The Case of : TWO SINGING GIRLS OF MAKKAH 59. The Case of ABU AAMIR, ‘THE REBELLIOUS” FROM JEWS OF MADINA
57. The Case of : IBN KHATAL When people declared general amnesty to people of Makkah, when he had conquered it, he made certain exceptions. There were eight or 10 people who were not given amnesty. Some of them were murderers who had taken refuge in Makkah and there were some who were ring leaders or had done some heinous crimes and there was no amnesty given to them. But after some time gap, some of them were also given amnesty and only three or four persons were actually executed. This established prophet’ position as a just and merciful conqueror and not only an idealist or cruel warrior. IBN KHATAL had earlier accepted Islam, Prophet sent him with some persons to collect ZAKAT from some tribes outside Madina. They collected ZAKAT, but had some dispute amongst them. IBN KHATAL killed these people and went to Makkah with the collected ZAKAT. He also went back on Islam and took refuge in Makkah where he was given full protection. When Muslim armies marched towards Makkah, he took his arms to resist them but when he saw that he cannot do much, he threw his arms and went to Kaaba and hid himself in the curtains of Kaaba. When prophet declared general amnesty, he included IBN KHATAL ‘s name amongst the people who were exempted. It was told to prophet that IBN KHATAL has hidden himself under curtains of Kaaba, prophet said “Kill him” So he was dragged from there and was executed for the murder he had committed. Kaaba is not a sanctuary for murderers and thieves and robbers. It is a place of peace for those who behave peacefully. Otherwise it would become den and refuge for these criminals. 58. The Case of : TWO SINGING GIRLS OF MAKKAH These two singing girl slaves of Makkah were also exempted from the general amnesty declared by the prophet. Their crime was that they used to sing the hate poetry and used to lampoon the personality of prophet and muslims. Their master was ABU LAHAB, real Uncle of the prophet and one of the foremost enemies of Islam and Prophet. Prophet pardoned other people of Makkah, but not such people who made fun of Islam and prophet’s personality. In those days poetry was the foremost medium of spreading hate and bias against Islam and prophet.
That is why, prophet chose to punish such persons and make them as example for others. So these slave girls were deeded fit to taste “Steel Sword wielded by the prophet” and they met fitting end to their disgraceful careers. 59. The Case of ABU AAMIR, ‘THE REBELLIOUS” FROM JEWS OF MADINA ABU AAMIR was one of the learned men of the Jews of Madina who was well renowned for his religious knowledge and his hermit way of life, as having renounced the world. He was nicknamed as “The Learned One” by Jews and general people of Madina. His fame of learning and renouncing the world was shattered when the Prophet migrated to Madina. If he had real learning (As ABDULLAH BIN SALLAM, or other Jewish scholars), he would have recognized the personality and mission of prophet and would have become his follower. But his racial prejudice and his false arrogance of knowledge came in his way and he became one of the bitterest enemy of prophet. Prophet changed his nickname from “Learned one” to “FASIQ which means Rebellious. When Muslim armies were victorious in the Battle of Badr. His heart was broken, and he left Madina, with the aim of wandering around Arabia and stoking in their heart enmity of Islam and Prophet. Accordingly he went to Makkah, stoked the flame of hatred in their hearts, and was with their armies when they came to fight Prophet and Muslims in the battle of UHUD. Before the hostilities were to begin, he told ABU SUFYAN, the Makkan Commander, let me speak to my people in Madina, may be they will remember me and hearken to my words and turn their back on Mohammad. He came forward, and cried in a loud voice “O people of AUS and KHAZRAJ (the two major tribes of Madina)! It is me, ABU AAMIR, One whom you used to love and respect. Listen to me and do not chose the path of destruction…” The people of Madina relied in one voice “O FASIQ! We are fully aware of your ways and your path” ABU AAMIR turned back to Makkah people saying in a dejected voice “My people have changed completely since I left!!” ABU AAMIR had earlier advised Makkan army to dig some deep holes in battle ground and cover it with leaves and branches, so that Muslim army and their cavalry or camels may be entrapped in them. Some holes were dug and covered and some Muslims were also trapped in them…..but it so happened that ABU AAMIR while running away from battle field, had his leg on these holes, he fell into it and was killed by a Muslim soldier. Thus started )or was proven correct) the popular saying “One who digs the trenches for others, falls into it first”!!
Such was the sad story and sad end of ABU AAMIR the FASIQ, who misused his knowledge and deeds by picking the “Sword of Hatred” from the collections of Sword which prophet had.
60. The Case of: ABU LAHAB BIN ABDUL MUTTALIB, REAL UNCLE OF PROPHET
No study of enemies of prophet can be complete unless we consider the special case of ABU LAHAB , the uncle of Prophet. There must be some reason why he was singled out to be cursed in Quran by his name. No other enemies of prophet had this “dubious” distinction!! A. Early History: ABU LAHAB’ s Real name was ABDUL UZZA, he was son of Abdul MUTTALIB and therefore was one of the real uncle of prophet. He was given the title of ABU LAHAB because of his fiery complexion. In those days of tribal living, a man was very well protected by his tribe and to become enemy of some one from the same tribe was very rare and was not looked upon with approval. When prophet was born, ABU LAHAB was happy and he freed the salve girl, who brought him the good news. The same slave girl (THUWAIBAIH) gave initial suckle to prophet, before he was taken by HALEEMA. During early part of life of prophet, we do not hear any rift between him and prophet on any account. When people was married to KHADIJA, ABU LAHAB was also present and rejoiced with every one. In fact before prophet received his mission, his two daughters were engaged to be married to two sons of ABU LAHAB. B. Declaration of Prophet’s Mission and ABU LAHAB ‘s opposition: The moment prophet declared his mission, it seemed as if some switch of hatred was turned on in the heart of ABU LAHAB. There were many enemies of prophet in Makkah, but no one so bitter and so cruel as this ABU LAHAB. He left no occasion to ridicule prophet and deny him in public. It seemed that his only mission in life was to follow prophet wherever he went and deny him on face. Some of his extreme actions of hatred and opposition are given below: 1. When prophet invited all members of his clan for a dinner in his house and after eating broached on the subject of Islam, ABU LAHAB immediately stood up and said “this is not the place for such discussions and asked every one to clear away” 2. He asked his two sons to break the marriage ties with the two daughters of Prophet. And said I will not see your faces unless you do so. They divorced their wives and the elder one spat on the face of prophet (for which crime he was devoured by a lion a few weeks later).
3. His house was next door to the prophet’s house. During night he and his wife used to place thorns near the door of prophet, so that his feet may be injured. They used other means to insult and hurt prophet and his household, which was so abhorrent to any civilized person. 4. When prophet called all clans of Makkah near hillocks of SAFA and told them about message of Islam, this ABU LAHAB spoke before every one “Woe be to you! Is that why you called us and wasted our time”. There upon was revealed chapter 111 of Quran, which was named after him and it goes like this: “Perish the hands of ABU LAHAB! Perish he! No profit to him from all his wealth, and all his gains” “Burnt soon will be in a fire of blazing flame! His wife shall carry the (crackling) wood as Fuel” “A twisted rope of palm tree fiber round her (own) neck (111:1-5) This chapter shall be recited thru out the world till the last day by millions of Muslim to confirm his loss. 5. Whenever prophet used to visit any assembly or tent of people from outside Makkah, during Hajj or other gathering, ABU LAHAB used to follow the prophet and used to announce at his back, this is a mad man do not listen to him. Many people got confused and said “when his own uncle says this, why should we listen to him” Therefore he was instrumental in stopping many people from listening to the message of Islam thru the lips of prophet. 6. When Makkah people boycotted prophet for three years, and whole clan of Abdul MUTTALIB was included in the boycott, this ABU LAHAB remained outside and did not join with his clan .He also opposed the end of boycott. Such was the enmity and hatred of Prophet and Islam in the heart of this bitterest of all enemies of Islam….that was the situation when prophet had to fled Makkah and took shelter in Madina.
C. How the Quranic prophesy was fulfilled: It is strange to see how the Quranic prophesy about ABU LAHAB was fulfilled in its minutest details. Let us consider some of them relating to this world (what he will face in the Hereafter is known to Allah only). 1. He saw the message of Islam growing at a slow place despite his utmost opposition, Every new Muslim was like a thorn pierced into his heart. So he had to bear these daily thorns! 2. His eldest son, who had spat at the face of prophet, was devoured by a Wild beast while he was going with a Trade Caravan a few weeks after doing this dastardly act. Prophet had prayed to Allah to put some Dog of His dogs upon that ungrateful person. 3. His daughter accepted Islam before his eyes and some of his other close relatives also. He could do nothing but watch in insolence. His two remaining sons accepted Islam at the time of Conquest of Makkah and remained devout Muslims till the end of their ;oves. 4. In the second year of Prophet’s migration, the famous battle of Badr took place. ABU LAHAB did not take part in the battle, because he was sick. But the loss of Badr, when most of chiefs of Makkah were either slain in the battle field or were taken captives, broke his heart. 5. He took to himself and soon was struck with the plague, and died a few days later. Due to contagious nature of disease, every one was afraid to go near him and touch him for burial. They left him in that condition, till bad smell filled his house and whole vicinity. Ultimately his sons, paid some money to black slaves in Makkah, who demolished the house on his body….making some type of grave. 5A. His wife met a strange death due to strangulation, when a load of burning wood she was carrying on her head and used a rope to tie it, slipped and the rope tightened around her neck and she died of suffocation and strangulation. A Divine punishment worthy of a rabid Islam and Prophet hater! 6. That was his total loss in this world….no one takes his name , except as mentioned in Quran. The name of prophet whom he hated beyond every thing is taken with reverence by billions of people. Such was the strange story of ABU LAHAB, the bitterest enemy of prophet, who had to pick up the “Sword of rejection and ridicules” from the Prophet ignoring all other “Beautiful Swords that he possessed” But if there are no thorns in the garden who would appreciate the flowers?
61. The case of : MUSAILAMAH “AL KADDAB” (THE BIG LIAR) FROM TRIBE OF BANI HANIFA
When prophet declared his mission, no one in Arabia knew about Prophet hood, revelation and guidance coming from heavens etc. These things were new to people living in Arabia, that is why his message looked and sounded so strange to people of Makkah in particular and Arabia in general. But due to his perseverance and his constancy and his efforts, every one in Arabia came to know about these things and after the conquest of Makkah, his message reached to every part of Arabia. His success put ideas into minds of people who wanted to duplicate his mission and therefore many false prophet stood up, during the last few years of his life. These false prophets caused a wave of apostasy in whole of Arabia when the prophet breathed his last. His companions and especially Abu Bakr the First Caliph of Islam had to spend his utmost effort and strength of character to silence these false prophets and apostates of Arabia. First and foremost of these false prophets was MUSAILAMAH nicknamed “Al KADDAB (the Big liar)” by prophet himself. MUSAILAMAH belonged to the tribe of BANI HANIFA that lived in Najd areas of Arabia. His tribe were known for their strength and their fighting skills and ferocity. When the delegation of BANU HANIFA came to Madina in 9AH, MUSAILAMAH also was one of the members. They spoke to prophet about Islam and MUSAILAMAH told prophet that if he would nominate him his successor, he would become Muslim. Prophet was having a stick in his hand and he said “He would not even give him this stick as a condition to becoming Islam”. The mission returned empty handed. MUSAILAMAH wrote a letter to prophet after reaching his home saying “Allah has made me a prophet as He made you a prophet. He has divided the land of Arabia between us. But QURAISH (tribe of prophet) are a treacherous people”. The prophet replied as follows: “From Mohammad the Prophet of Allah to MUSAILAMAH AL KADDAB Peace be on to who accepted guidance. Afterwards “The earth belongs to Allah and He bestows it to whom He Wishes”
MUSAILAMAH After death of prophet: When prophet died, MUSAILAMAH declared his mission with force and most people of his and surrounding tribes accepted his mission, and turned back from Islam. Abu Bakr the first Caliph of Islam sent Muslim armies to all parts of Arabia to suppress those false prophets and people who had become apostate. He dispatched IKRIMAH towards BANI HANIFA, but he failed in his mission as the enemy was too strong. Abu Bakr sent some enforcement but they also could not defeat him. Finally Abu Bakr sent KHALID BIN WALEED to MUSAILAMAH asking him to finish his menace. Muslims under KHALID had to fight a tough battle MUSAILAMAH and his tribe. The battle was harshest which Muslims had to face so far. More than 700 Companions of prophet lost their lives in this battle that included more than 70 Muslims who had memorized the Quran in full. MUSAILAMAH himself was slain by WAHSHI, the same Abyssinian slave, who had killed HAMZA the uncle of prophet in the battle of OHUD, thus compensating somewhat for that dastardly act. Such was the case of MUSAILAMAH the False prophet, do did do immense damage to Islam and Muslims in his short mission. Nonetheless, his name and deed are to be found only in Islamic History books and there is no one who takes or remembers his name any more.
62. The Case of : JEWS OF BANI QURAIDHAH
This is the case which enemies of Islam highlight much and present our prophet as a "merciless killer" who witnessed the murder of whole Jewish tribe in cold blood and there is hardly any western biographer of Prophet's life who does not shed 'crocodiles tears' at the fate of these Jews. But seeing the conduct of prophet with Jewish tribes of his time living in Arabia, before or after the JEWS OF BANI QURAIDHAH , we find that their case was an exception. 1. Prophet and his pact with Jewish Tribes of Madina: When prophet came to Madina, three Jewish Tribes were living there and one of the First Act which prophet did was to write a pact of unified defense and co-existence between Muslims and these three jewish tribes. They were given freedom to continue and practice their religion and live in Madina, and have a pact of 'joint defense' with Muslims should there be any outside attack. And they should live in peace and harmony and do not do any act which harms any party. 2. How Prophet dealt with Other Jewish Tribes: But as it happens, these jewish tribes broke their pact with Muslims one by one. The first tribe was BANI QAINUQAH, who were asked to leave Madina with their possessions and arms … they went and settled with Jews of KHAIBAR and others. The second were BANI NADHEER, who also broke the pact and prophet lay a siege to their locality and after a brief resistance, they surrendered to prophet and he asked them to leave Madina with household goods that can be carried on camels. They destroyed their own houses (so that Muslims should not use them) and loaded their goods on camels, and left Madina and got settled in KHAIBAR a Jewish Community some distance from Madina. Then prophet conquered KHAIBAR and other Jewish communities like FADAK, TEIMA, etc. He made a peace pact with them on payment of Tribute which is called JIZYA in Arabic.
3. BANI QURAIZAH were exception and not the rule: So we do not find that in ANY case of prophet dealing with Jews, where the punishment given to Jews of BANI QURAIZAH was repeated. And we do not know another case in 1400 years of Islamic history, where this rule was used against ANY people, be it Jews, Christians or Jews themselves. So by any standard this was an exception, and people should look into what was the Crime of This Jewish Tribe and why they deserved Exemplary Punishment. And on another level we should see, if this was not the punishment which Torah itself provided. 4. Jews and their Laws of War: And we should see, if Jews had not used this law against their enemies in the past. And we should also see if there were any Jewish Prophets who used this law against their enemies. If it is proven that Jews did indeed used this law against their enemies, then there is no reason whatsoever that they should complain if they are subjected to the same law themselves. Details of Jew's Law of War is mentioned in Deut. Chapter 20 which says: "When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and work for you" "If they refuse to make peace and engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to sword all the men in it. As for women and the children, an the livestock and every thing in it, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. … This is how you treat all the cities that are at a distance to you and do not belong to nations nearby" "However in the cities of Nation that Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breaths. Completely destroy them….for HITTITES, AMORITS, CANNANITES, PERIZZITES, HIVITES, and JEBUSITES, as the Lord your God has commanded you" (Deut. 20 V 10-19) Very TOUGH and Clear verses, don’t you say!!
5. Was this Jewish Law of war used by any Prophet of God? No one should think that this law was only in the "stature books" and was NEVER used by Jews against their enemies. We find prophets of Jews using this law in their times against their enemies a number of time. Let us see some examples: a. Moses and his fight with MIDINITES: In the book of Numbers chapter 31, we see Moses taking revenge against the Tribe of MIDINITES (under Close watch of YHWH) let us read some thing from it: "The Lord said to Moses "take vengeance on the MIDINITES … they fought against the MIDINITES (12000 Israeli force, 1000 from each tribe - MUQ) as the Lord Commanded Moses and killed every man… and Israeli captured women and children and took all their herds, flocks and goods as plunder… "Moses was angry with the officers of army, "Have you allowed all the women to live?.... Now kill all the boys and kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man (How soon these Jews forgot how were they treated by the Pharaoh and his people? It was their FIRST Generation who escaped from the punishment , now they want to do the same with their enemies- MUQ) And do you know how many people were killed in one single battle? Just imagine, what is the percentage of women who have NEVER slept with a man in any society? (i.e. women between the age of 1-17?)….10 %? "And they found 32,000 Women who had never slept with a man" (Num. Ch. 31:35) So number of humans killed in One Single war of Moses against the TRIBE of MIDIANITE was close to 300,000 !! (If we assume that figures given in Bible are accurate- MUQ) Compare this with total casualties during the life time of our prophet do not even reach 1000 (on both sides), and 400 of which were from this single incident of BANI QURAIZAH, otherwise it would be much lower. And yet, these Jews have temerity to accuse our prophet of using sword to propagate his faith. And Moses did not controlled this single fight, he sent his armies again and again and only God knows how many humans they killed in those campaigns.
And mind you, they NEVER gave the chance for these people to come and accept the religion of Jews!! There was no respite given to them except, God has given this land as our Inheritance, you MUST vacate it or get killed. b. Joshua and use of Jewish laws of War: Joshua used this law of war many times during his campaigns as we read in the fall of Jericho "They devoted the city to Lord and destroyed with the Sword every living thing in it- men and women- young and old, cattle sheep and donkey" (what was the crime of these poor animals? – MUQ) And the example of Jericho is not a lone incident in the life of Joshua. In fact most of the book is filled with the heroics of Joshua and his people and how many of the enemies they killed. If you add altogether, it would be close to a Million humans that were killed during the battles of Joshua and enemies of Israel. And them compare it with a figure of 1000 during the time of our prophet. Who was a more 'peaceful warrior"? D. David and the use of Jewish Laws of War: At least three or four centuries separate the times of Joshua and that of David… but we find the same fighting Jew spirit in David and he used the 'Jewish law of war' on many occasions. His fights against his enemies are sufficient evidence that he used this law of war against his enemies on many occasions (the details can be seen in the book of 2 Samuel, about David and all the battles he fought against his enemies, and all his actions had the approval. Therefore it is evident that Jews were using the provisions of this Law of War for many centuries against their enemies and were well aware of it. 6. These Laws were for Enemies of Jews and not intended for Jews: This is a plea which many people take, that these laws were for Non Jews and not for Jews themselves. Well every conqueror makes law that are suited to them, but they should be ready to face the music should the situations be reversed. Did they not listen to advice of Jesus which says that you will be judged by the standards by which you judge others. So No Jew should complain if the Jewish Laws of war are executed on themselves. The Payback times also comes from time to time.
7. Why Jews of BANI QURAIZAH were made an example: Every one knows that the seriousness of crime increases many fold depending upon the prevailing situation. Leaking of secrets to the enemy nation is a crime no doubt, but its seriousness increases upon if we are at peace or at war. During peace days the criminal might get away with lesser punishment, but during war times when the lives of many soldiers and security of nation is at stake, such crimes are punished very seriously and swiftly. Many times summary trails and field trails are held and the guilty are handed death penalty and no one complains. 8. The Crime of BANI QURAIZAH: a. In the year 5 H, the Jews of BANI NADHEER who were expelled from Madina and had taken shelter with the Jews of KHAIBAR instigated pagans of Makkah and all major tribes of Arabia to attack Medina in full force. b. Accordingly a big force of 10,000 to 12,000 warriors consisting of Pagans of Makkah and many tribes from different parts of Arabia came to attack Madina to close the chapter of Islam 'for once and all'. c. The news of preparation and march of enemy in such large numbers reached to prophet and he called for a council to suggest the way to respond to this challenge. It was first time in the history of Arabia that such a large force was gathered to attack one city. d. Muslims in Madina were no match for such large enemy force, so it was not advisable to meet the enemy army in open warfare, a defensive war was what was suggested by the companions of the prophet. e. In that council SALMAN who was from Persia, told that in Persia, when a large army attacks any city, the inhabitants of that city dig a trench to keep the enemy at bay. And this is the way which he suggested in this case also. f. Prophet liked this idea and since the location of Madina was such that it was protected from the three sides with 'black volcanic rocks' thru which no army could pass and it was only from one direction, which was open and it was in that direction that the trench was to be dig. g. When measured, it was close to 1.5 Kilometer in length and prophet made 10 teams and each team was to dig 150 meters. It was a hard job and every Muslim in Madina (including prophet himself) participated in the digging of trench. Since it was the first time in Arabia that such a technique was used, the battle itself was named as 'battle of Trench'.
h. The trench was dug in a hurry, it was three to four yards in depth and slightly more in width (so it could not be cleared by horse jump, or some one pole vaulting). At some places due to rocky condition, the width was not that much, so these locations were guarded by keeping a close human watch. j. Even otherwise, it was not 'impossible' for enemy to make a bridge on the trench, that is why a constant vigil was to be kept by Muslims to avoid any such attempt. k. Before marching out to meet the enemy, the prophet called the elders of BANI QURAIZAH and took their confirmation about the peace treaty. When they agreed that they are still bound by that treaty, prophet placed women and children of Muslim close to their locality and almost every male Muslim left to defend Madina from the enemy forces. 9. BANI QURAIZAH break their treaty, one sided at the most critical juncture: a. When the enemy army arrived, they were surprised to see the trench between them and the Muslim army. It was first time they had seen such a technique. b. They lay the siege and there were minor efforts to cross or jump over the trench, but no such attempt was successful and they were beaten back by the Muslims. But they have to keep a watch over the entire length of tunnel and at all time. This was a very critical situation for Muslims, and as Quran describes it "their hearts had reached to their throats" it was no exaggeration. c. While Muslims and Pagans were engaged in their duel, some Jewish Leaders from BANI NADHEER went to the leaders of BANI QURAIZAH during dead of night and asked them to help and support their brethren. d. The leaders of BANI QURAIZAH replied that they were bound by the treaty, but other Jewish leaders told them that this in once in a life time opportunity, and if they fail, they would never get the second chance. With these carrots in front, BANI QURAIZAH decided to break their treaty with Prophet at this critical juncture. e. The News of BANI QURAIZAH 's treachery reached to the prophet and he sent two Chiefs of Madina, SAAD BIN MUADH being one of them to go and reason with BANI QURAIZAH . They went but kept empty handed as the BANI QURAIZAH told that they do not know any treaty between them and the Prophet. f. These people came back and told the prophet about treachery of BANI QURAIZAH , Muslims were more worried because of fate of their women and children, who were at the mercy of these Jews of BANI QURAIZAH. g. But it so happened that God sent a Strong Gail, which disrupted the enemy's camp and they fled from wherever they came and the threat was removed. However during the
battle SAAD received an injury in the neck and he prayed to Allah to keep him alive till he see the downfall of Jews of BANI QURAIZAH. 10. Punishment for BANI QURAIZAH a. When the enemy were gone, the prophet laid the siege to BANI QURAIZAH , as they were to be punished for their treachery and breaking the treaty at the most critical juncture. b. The Jews tried to fight back, but after a brief resistance, they surrendered on the condition that their fate shall be decided by an Arbitrator. And the Arbitrator which they chose was no other than SAAD BIN MUADH, who was their ally during the days of ignorance. c. SAAD was called back in his injured condition and after some thinking he announced that "Jews be judged by their own laws of War". i.e. every male was to be killed and women and children will be taken captive and made as slaves. d. Accordingly 400 plus Jews male were killed and their women and children were taken as slaves. e. Today we can call it a tough decision, but seeing in the right perspective, the Jews of BANI QURAIZAH got paid in the currency they wanted. They wanted to cheat on Muslims and they were who was to be cheated in the end. f. The prophet had no hand in their fate, because it is they who had selected the arbitrator. If they would have surrendered to the prophet, may be he would have enacted some 'lenient punishment' as he did with other Jewish Tribes in Madina and elsewhere. g. We can only say that is was their fate that made these Jews to take 'wrong decision' at each critical juncture!! h. But now they are being recompensed as there have grown up hundreds of thousands of their 'die hard' supporters…. Whose full time job is to weep and lament for their fallen brothers and they have only one aim in life….. to condemn and protest against the 'inhuman cruelty' shown by the prophet towards God's Chosen People!! Can any one solve this sickness?
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.