This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Creating Value for your Dealership
Our Objective: Address Dealer Pain Points
• Better returns on Advertising $$ • Boost 15% average customer retention • Reach markets where they gather • Protect against salesman personal branding
Part 1: Beyond the Social Media Revolution
Part 2: Auto Dealers…. Value of Social Media Part 3: How Do You Leverage Digital Media?
Part 4: Let’s Start--Digital Marketing Plan
Digital Media Revolution
Rupert Murdoch 79 yrs old
net worth $6.3 billion global media empire – 175 newspapers, Fox Network, 35 TV stations reach 40+% countries; internet Hulu.com; MySpace ; Dow Jones
Integrated Digital Marketing
• Weaves traditional advertising (TV, radio, print, direct mail), online, PR, social media, mobile, outdoor digital • Technology has re-shaped people's lives and re-defined how we work
Customers Don’t TRUST
• 95% do not trust advertising • 8% trust what companies say about themselves • 17% believe companies take what they say seriously
Alterian Research May 2010
, Your Brand: At Risk or Ready for Growth?
Social Media Live Update
Clicking this link will show you how social media has been embraced. Notice the elapsed time.
Social Media Impacts Your Market
• Facebook 400+ million active users
• Twitter 105+ million users • LinkedIn 65 million users • YouTube over 2 billion views / day
Social Media Demographics
• 75% Adult Internet Users use Social Media Nielsen, June, 2010
• Avg visitor spends 66% > time than 2009 Nielsen, June, 2010
• 80% female Internet users fan a brand on a social network www.marketer.com
• 18% Internet consumers start their research with social media Nielsen
Social Media Usage by Age
Social Media Users Recommend Brands*
Social Media Users *
18-34 35-44 45-54
18% 18% 18%
Where is Your Target Market ?
• 2009, Boston College stopped giving Freshman email addresses* • 90% of those that can TIVO ads, DO!* • 24/25 of largest newspapers experienced significant decline in readership* • Young professionals
– 82+% use social media and texting** – 15% purchase influenced by social media**
Traditional Marketing… Less and Less Effective
• Traditional marketing focuses on TV, Radio, Outdoor, Print, Direct Mail
– blast your message to a mass audience – hope that someone receives it in that instant, and will pay attention. – all your competitors are essentially doing the same thing – your strategy is to shout louder and more frequently (as you can afford), to drown out your competitors’ message – Infrequently get feedback from your prospects, communication is primarily one way
Social Media Marketing Focuses On…
• Meeting your prospects where they are • “Getting found” by prospects and buyers, at the time and place of their choosing • Developing relationships which last beyond the instant of contact • Interacting with prospects with engaging content • Converting prospects depends on providing value
Will Automotive Dealers Embrace Digital Media?
• Manufacturers are active in digital media • "2010" – “dealers will increase digital presence to survive and flourish” Fast Company 2010 • AutoNation Gets Social
Industry Successes BMW, GM,Toyota
Uses Social Media to Become ‘the Un-dealer’
• 239 dealerships across 15 states • Sells more vehicles via Internet than any other auto retailer • “When we look at social, it is not about selling cars or making offers. We’re doing it because we’re trying to engage with customers.”
2009 J.D. Power and Associates Automotive Internet Roundtable
Social media: • reaches more potential new-car buyers than Google • positions dealers to find potential new-car buyers • Warning-- overt advertising on social networks is likely to be viewed negatively by consumers
Customers Share Their Experiences
Creates Viral Awareness without One Dollar of Traditional Marketing
• People trust corporations less - allow others to create trust
• Reach out to those who are listening; let them talk for you • Let others know that you are a real, passionate person about what they do and the Ford Brand • Run a competition involving Social Media • Post user content without editing it!
• Use multiple social media channels to create digital buzz • “Get On Board” executive team, board of directors
Leveraging Social Media
• Most marketing $$ focus on 20% who are buying
GM targets the 80% not in the market to purchase Strategy- engage those 80%
– listen to what they want
– drive innovation in products
– take action on what is learned
GM wants brand managers, engineers and other GM workers engaging with customers via social media
Then they will reach the 80% of customers who are not currently in the market to buy
Nissan Leaf Integrates iPhone, YouTube, Blog
171,000 views in 6 days
Our Challenge is Consumer Trust
• “our positive customer reviews provides us with tremendous credibility.
• • •
web traffic has increased by 40 %, nearly doubled our monthly sales, having one of our best months, when the industry is experiencing one of its worst.” General Manager
Auto Dealers Embrace Mobile Messaging
• Universal City Nissan (Los Angeles) boosted sales by using mobile codes. “We get as many as 20 to 30 text inquiries when we run the radio spot.” • Honda Mall of Georgia (Atlanta suburb) “The cellphone is the most direct way to market. It creates walk-in traffic and inquiries…
– appeals to ages 18-40. – customers want information without talking to a salesperson. – tracks results of advertising and interest in particular vehicles…. I know who is looking at a specific car today!”
Mobile Drives Service!
Southwest VA Ford Dealer only had 5 cars in for Friday’s service work
• Database: 178 opt-in • Sent text out on a Thursday around 3:30pm • Text: “Oil change w/ rotation $23.95 Friday only call now to book your appt. 555-2233” • 8 people responded quickly-they retained these customers • Average service ticket was $171 !!! • $1368 additional revenue!
Auto Dealers, 65+% Not Active
Clearly There is Value !
The Question is not IF your dealership will adopt Digital Media… But WHEN?
This a repeat of the Internet Revolution;
Will you position your company as an Early Adopter or Laggard?
Are You Leveraging Digital Media Opportunities?
It’s more than---
• Having a Facebook page • Broadcasting Tweets • Uploading YouTube Videos • Blogging without a content strategy It’s Digital Media Optimization
Has Your Ad Agency…
introduced you to digital media ?
leveraged your TV, radio with digital media?
demonstrated competitive advantage, marketing opportunities with digital media?
Traditional Media Changes Past 20 Years
1. Significant expansion of traditional media channels with greatly reduced reach 2. Increased $$ to reach same % of market with same # of impressions 3. Decreased # of potential audiences (youth, women, executives) accessible via traditional media
Dealers need an Digital Marketing Strategy
Are You Listening to Your Company Chatter?
• • • • • Google Alerts Twitter search Facebook newsfeed and status updates LinkedIn Q & A Google Blog search
What Are They Saying?
4.2 Million Views Leveraging Them?
Toyota Swagger Wagon
Facebook Should Be Interactive NOT One Way
Facebook Should Be Engaging
If you act in new ways, you will realize new results
• In 2010 auto dealers will Integrate Digital Marketing to realize a powerful edge • If you don’t respond, your competitive advantage will be vulnerable
Are You Ready ? Do You Hear the Call?
Where are your customers? • Are you where your customers are?
• Are you engaging them? What are your results? • Are your current marketing efforts maximizing results?
Digital Marketing Strategic Imperative
1. Develop a Roadmap to navigate the world of digital media
2. Ask the right questions 3. Go beyond traditional marketing as independent silos; integrate your efforts
Integrate Your Media
Synergize … Build on each other
social public relations
Assess Your Digital Footprint
1. Google your company name
2. Print 1st two pages 3. Track social mentions 4. Evaluate the search engine optimization results
Traces left by someone’s active and passive activity in a digital environment
Dealer Touchpoint Map
Objectives: Promote sales, service Current Tactics: TV, radio, direct mail, PR Increase Touchpoints using:
• • • • • • Blog articles, Youtube Channel Twitter Facebook Social PR Search engine optimization
Touch Your Customers
Should You Use Facebook? Yes! Facebook is the #1 social destination
Surpassed Google as #1 Trafficked Site
Reaches 217,440 within 50 miles of Roanoke and Lynchburg 41% penetration among internet users
Users spend 7hrs+ per mo The Nielsen Company 25-34yr demo doubling every 6 months * 35-54 yr growing fastest, with a 276.4% growth rate* 55+ demo not far behind with a 194.3% growth rate*
* Facebook Demographics 2009
What are FB Users Looking For?
• Getting news or product updates (67%) • Having access to promotions (64%) • Viewing videos/music (41%) • Submitting opinions (36%) • Connecting with other consumers (33%)
Pace University study, 12/08
Twitter… say it in 140 characters
• 105 million registered users • New users signing up 300,000 per day • 180 million unique visitors visit monthly
• 3 billion requests a day • Power search engine receives 600 million search queries/day
Who’s on LinkedIn?
• • • • • • • 65 million Professionals Avg income $109k Avg age 37 - 52 Entrepreneurs – 31% Executives – 18% Decision Makers – 42% 61,300 professionals -Roanoke 75 mile radius
*From LinkedIn.com Advertising
Prove Media Works
Service Departments have a successful tracking model
Track - Evaluate ROI
2. 3. 4.
Webstats - Google Analytics
Bud URLS Facebook Stats Social mentions
When Do We See Results?
3-6 Months Setup, Positioning
2. 3. 4.
Increase Website Traffic
Increase Dealer Buzz Build Facebook, Twitter Followers Realize referrals
Digital Marketing Best Practices
1. Commit resources - executive buy-in; staff; training; $$ 2. Build on what you are doing - Incorporate social
media to leverage current marketing
3. Listen, Plan, Test - Monitor digital buzz, what customers
are saying; create your strategy and then test it
4. Develop competitive edge – as an early adopter you
can define your position
5. Be consistent, not overpowering - Maintain your
Brand; increase your digital presence, but don’t irritate
Digital Marketing Best Practices-2
6. Develop, maintain relationships - Touch your
potential car buyers and customers with regular alerts
on new inventory, service advice/coupons 7. Integrate - Weave your TV, radio with mobile, and social media 8. Measure - Monitor your company's “digital chatter” and presence 9. Evaluate your ROI - Evaluate, readjust your tactics to meet goals 10. Keep Current…Drive Innovation - With daily changes, have experts keep your finger on the pulse
Digital Solutions - a taste!
• Create BUZZZ
– Crowdsource contest “improve customer service department” • Create an Attention Getting Event
– Peoria AZ 150 car challenge
• Create Loyalty Program – JD Power, “Loyalty is the #1 marketing tool for the automobile dealer.”