This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Multiple Choice: WRITE the letter of the best answer on your answer sheet. 1. The science of collecting, organizing and analyzing data. (a) psychology (b) statistics (c) chemistry (d) physics
February 2009 Joey Tuason
[4 pts. each]
2. How many quartiles did we use to construct the box plot? (a) 1 (b) 2 3. The interquartile range is (a) diﬀerence between highest and lowest (b) the length from one whisker to another (c) Q3 − Q1 (d) all of the above (c) 3 (d) 4
4. It was determined that the correlation coeﬃcient between amount spent and length of stay in mall is r = 0.02. What can be said between the two variables? (a) Someone who stays in the mall for a long period would have larger amount spent. (b) A rich spender prefers to leave immediately after shopping. (c) If a person spends $100 worth of items, s/he stays in the mall for 100 hours. (d) None of the above.
5. A box plot was constructed such that Q2 is closer to Q3 than Q1 . If this box plot represents daily consumption of an Atenean, what best describes the dietary routine from a student in Ateneo? (a) As compared with an average, Ateneans tend to overeat but not so much. (b) There are more people eating less food than an average Atenean. (c) An average Atenean tends to eat a lot of food and only few eats. (d) Needs more information.
6. The “2 to the k” rule selects an integer value for k such that 2k it is (a) smaller that n (b) equal to n (c) larger than n (d) none of the above
7. Which of the following is NOT a measure of central tendency? (a) mode (b) weighted mean (c) standard deviation (d) median
8. Which method of central tendency is easier to use if one is only given the frequency distribution of a data set? (a) mode (b) weighted mean (c) standard deviation (d) median
9. What method is used in the calculator to ﬁnd the best ﬁt line y = a + bx? (a) median-median (b) residuals (c) least squares (d) none of the above
-more at the back-
10. The box in the box plot contains how many percent of the observations in the dataset? (a) 25% (b) 50% (c) 75% (d) 100%
11. If two math classes have equal average score in a particular long exam, then both classes performed equally. This statement is (a) always true (b) sometimes true (c) never true (d) all of the above
12. Which measure of central tendency is highly aﬀected by presence of outliers? (a) mean (b) median (c) mode (d) all of the above
13. Which measure of central tendency can possibly not exist given a data set. (a) mean (b) median (c) mode (d) all of the above
14. Which measure of central tendency need not be unique? (a) mean (b) median (c) mode (d) all of the above
For #s15-17: Two math classes, Section A and Section B, took two identical exams from a particular teacher. The box plots of the classes, drawn over the same scale, is shown below:
15. What section do you expect to have scores which are more scattered? (a) Section A (b) Section B
16. If the upcoming exams are tougher than the usual ones, which section should the teacher be more concerned for? (a) Section A (b) Section B
17. If the two outliers in Section B transferred to Section A, would their scores still be considered outliers in that class? (a) Yes. Both will still be outliers. (b) Yes. Only one will be an outlier. (c) No. Both will not be outliers. (d) All of the above.
For #s18-20: The proportion of the population made up of elderly persons in the US is rapidly increasing. The implications for health care expenditures is profound because elderly persons use the health care system more frequently than younger persons. In one study the mean cumulative expenditures per person for acute and long-term care from the age of 65 years until death and the corresponding age at death were recorded. Expenditures are given in 1996 dollars. (Brenda Spillman and James Lubitz, “The eﬀect of longevity on spending for acute and long-term care.” The New England Journal of Medicine, 2000, 342: 1409-1415.) Age at Death 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 Mean Expenditure 31,181 87,116 123,823 157,903 193,727 235,369 287,980 358,174
18. Find the equation of the best ﬁt line using least squares method. (a) y = −535252 + 8723.17381x (b) y = −535525 + 8723.17381x (c) y = −535252 + 8723.17318x (d) y = −353252 + 8723.17831x
19. If the mean expenditure for health care of an elderly was $250,000, at what age could s/he probably have died? (a) 88 (b) 89 20. Calculate the coeﬃcient of correlation r. (a) 0.9935 (b) 0.9936 (c) 0.9937 (d) 0.9938 (c) 90 (d) 91
II. Problem Solving: A survey was conducted to determine how freshmen Atenean’s found his or her academic experience during the ﬁrst semester. They were asked to rate their ﬁrst semester class encounters from 1-100, with 100 being the highest. The following are the response of 19 students:  42 88 100 92 77 53 78 84 81 81 75 58 91 78 75 74 83 76 99
1. Find the mean, median, mode, quartiles and sample standard deviation of the student response. 2. Construct the frequency histogram for the data set. Start with class interval 41-52, and so on. Put your answer on the table below.
Class Interval LCB UCB Frequency
3. Calculate the weighted mean of the frequency distribution. 4. Plot the frequency histrogram and box plot for the student response to freshmen academics in Ateneo.