This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Instructor: C S Manohar Term: January-April Syllabus
Analysis of beam columns. Stability functions. Behavior of ideal columns. Bifurcation buckling and limit point instability. Mechanical models of stability. Static and dynamic formulations. Energy methods. Finite element formulation. Buckling of frames. Imperfection sensitivity and post critical behavior. Buckling of beams on elastic foundations, arches and plates. Inelastic buckling. Dynamic analysis of stability. Parametric instabilities and stability under nonconservative forces. Divergence and flutter.
List of recommended books. General theory and sources of exercise problems
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. S P Timoshenko and J M Gere, 1963, Theory of elastic stability, McGraw Hill, London. A Chajes, 1974, Principles of elastic stability, Prentice Hall, NJ. G J Simitses, 1976, An introduction to the elastic stability of structures, Prentice Hall, NJ. Z P Bazant and L Cedolin, 1990, Stability of structures, Oxford University Press, Oxford. N G R Iyengar, 1986, Structural stability of columns and plates, Affiliated East-West Press, New Delhi. 6. D O Brush and B O Almoroth, 1975, Buckling of bars, plates and shells, McGraw Hill, NY.
7. T V Galambos, 1998, Guide to stability design criteria for metal structures, Wiley, NY
Finite element method for stability analysis
8. I H Shames and C L Dym, 1991, Energy and finite element methods in structural mechanics, Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi. 9. R D Cook, D S Malkus and M E Plesha, 1989, Concepts and applications of finite element analysis, Wiley, NY. 10. M F Rubinstein, 1970, Structural systems- statics, dynamics and stability, Prentice-Hall, NJ 11. F W Beaufait, W H Rowan, P G Hoadley and R M Hackett, 1970, Computer methods of structural analysis, Prenitce Hall, NJ. 12. W McGuire, R H Gallagher and R D Zieman, 2000, Matrix structural analysis, John Wiley, NY.
Advanced level treatment
13. J M T Thompson and G W Hunt, 1973, A general theory of elastic stability, John Wiley, London. 14. H H E Leipholz, 1978, Stability of elastic structures, Springer Verlag, Wien. 15. H Ziegler, 1968, Principles of structural stability, Blaisdel Publishing Company, Waltham.
2. the basic notions of dynamic stability. through this study. Evaluation scheme 3 Tests [Open book] (30 points) 4 Assignments (20 points) 1 Final examination [Open book] (50 points) Schedule for tests: 14th February. the basic notion of elastic stability. To study. A H Nayfeh and D T Mook. Buckling mode shapes and their orthogonality. NY. through analytical means. Lyapunov stability. 1979. Southwell plot. McGraw Hill. John Wiley. Breakdown of traditional linear superposition principle. London. Single span and multi-span beam columns. Tilt buckling. Analysis of beam columns. Concept of equilibrium states in the proximity. Beams with rigid segments. Consultants Bureau. Mechanical models of stability. 19. University of Waterloo Press. Elements of Koiter’s theory. Singular points and their classification. To study. Stability functions. Course objectives: 1. 1975. Buckling loads as eigenvalues of governing differential equation. Stability and oscillations of elastic systems. 1990. H H E Leipholz. Problems of dynamics stability 18. V V Bolotin. Secant formula and Perry-Robertson formula. Stability matrix. 17. Modified three moment equations. Formulate problems of elastic stability using energy principles. Oxford. Effect of support flexibility. Concept of critical spring stiffness.16. 21. Y G Panovko. Stress. Modified version of principle of superpositioning. class of dynamic stability problems amenable for acceptable approximate solutions. 4. 3. 1962. through analytical means. Learn through this study. Eccentrically applied axial loads. Static and dynamic formulations. divergence and flutter. stability and chaos. Six lectures on stability of elastic systems. Details of lectures 1. 14th March and 14th April. Develop an understanding of how finite element method can be used to investigate elastic stability of static systems. Ontario. 1965. Buckling under self-weight. Holden-Day. Dynamic stability of elastic systems. Behavior of ideal columns. San Fransisco. Pergamon Press. Models for limit load buckling: snap through instability. M S El Naschie. Nonlinear oscillations. V V Bolotin. Linear and nonlinear formulations. 2. NY. Learn. Effect of initial imperfections. class of static problems amenable for exact solutions. . 1964. 20. 3. Nonconservative theory of the theory of elastic stability.
5. Energy methods.4. 7. Double modulus theory. Von Mise’s truss. Inelastic buckling. Strutt’s diagram. . Demonstrations on NISA/ANSYS softwares. Hamilton’s principle and Lagrange’s equation. Buckling of frames: exact solutions. FE formulation of elastic stability problem. Floquet’s coefficients. Topics in static stability: Lateral buckling of beams. Topics in dynamic stability: Introduction to parametric instability. Concept of follower forces and discussion of conflicting views on its existence. Beams on elastic foundation. Snap through. Rayleigh-Ritz and Galerkin formulations. Buckling of perfect Arches. Divergence and flutter. Axioms for determining equilibrium and stability for static systems. FE solutions. Nonconservative loads. 6.