빈칸 완성은 빈칸에 들어갈 어구를 추론하는 유형으로 글의 주제와 요지, 그리고 글의 논리적인 흐름을 정확하게 파악해야 풀어낼 수 있다. 문항 수가 6 문항으로 늘어나고, 어휘가 어려워지고, 또한 철학적인 소재가 나타나면서 고득점 획득의 가장 큰 변수로 등장하였다. 1. 빈칸이 글의 어느 부분에 위치해 있는가를 보고, 우선은 무엇에 관한 글인지를 염두에 두면서 글을 읽어야 한다. 2. 빈칸은 글의 주제나 요지와 관련이 있는 핵심어에 있기 때문에, 앞뒤의 내용을 집약할 수 있는 어구나 표현을 골라야 하며, 그때 반드시 본문에서 찾은 몇 가지 근거를 바탕에 두어야 한다. 지문을 자신의 배경 지식에 의지해 풀게 되면 오답을 고를 가능성이 높다. 3. 빈칸은 앞뒤의 논리적 흐름 속에서 타당하게 연결되어야 하기 때문에, 정답으로 고른 어구를 빈칸에 넣고 글의 주제나 요지에 맞게 매끄럽게 전개되고 있는가를 검토한다. 4. 정답을 고르기 어려운 경우는 정답이 아닌 것부터 없애 나가는 소거법을 이용하는 것도 좋다.
Let’s Check It Out
정답과 해설 20쪽
■ 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
Two archaeologists, Steven Kuhn and Mary Stiner, think that modern, African-origin Homo Sapiens had and Neanderthals did not, and that this was the former’s crucial ecological advantage over the latter when they came head-to-head in Eurasia 40,000 years ago. They point out that there is just no sign of the kind of food normally brought by gatherer women in Neanderthal debris, nor of the elaborate clothing and shelters that Inuit women make while their men are hunting. There are occasional shellfish, tortoises, eggshells and the like`—`foods easily picked up while hunting`—`but not grindstones and no sign of nuts and roots. This is not to deny that Neanderthals cooperated and cooked. But it is to challenge the notion that the sexes had different foraging strategies and swapped the results. Either the Neanderthal women sat around doing nothing, or, since they were as masculine as most modern men, they went out hunting with the men.
① sexual division of labor ② the practice of sharing food ③ the ability to adapt to change ④ a trade system through barter ⑤ stable settlements for the tribes
W s &Phrases ord
archaeologist 고고학자 head-to-head 직접 대면하는 ● gatherer 채집인 ● shelter 주거지 ● tortoise 거북 ● nut 견과 ● notion 개념 ● swap 교환[교체]하다
crucial 결정적인 point out 지적하다 ● debris 잔해, 쓰레기 ● occasional 가끔의 ● eggshell 달걀 껍질 ● cooperate 협동하다 ● foraging 수렵 채집(의) ● masculine 남성적인
ecological 생태계[학]의 normally 보통 ● elaborate 정교한 ● shellfish 조개류 ● grindstone 숫돌 ● challenge 도전하다 ● strategy 전략
26 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
빈칸이 전체 글의 어디에 위치하는가를 파악하고 그 역할을 짐작한다.
•빈칸이 있는 문장은 글의 요지나 주제를 표현하고 있는 경우가 많다. 특히 글의 앞부분에 나와 있는 빈칸은 다음에 이어질 내용의 핵심 어구이다. 여기서는 빈칸을 포함한 핵심 내용을 this로 지칭하고 있으며, 이것이 Homo Sapiens가 Neanderthals에 대해 갖는 생태학적 이점이었다고 진술하고 있다.
글 전체의 내용을 파악하면서 빈칸이 들어간 문장 앞뒤를 주의 깊게 살핀다.
•Neanderthals의 잔해에는 여자 채집인들이 가지고 다녔던 음식의 흔적이 없다. •또한 사냥할 때 쉽게 주울 수 있는 음식은 있는데, 숫돌이나 견과류, 근류의 흔적은 없다. •이를 통해 Neanderthals의 남성과 여성은 서로 다른 수렵 채집 전략들을 가지고 있었고 그 결과들을 교환했다는 개념이 도전을 받는다. •Neanderthal 여자는 아무것도 하지 않았거나 남자처럼 사냥을 나갔다. → 이 모든 근거들을 종합해 볼 때, Neanderthals는 남자와 여자가 하는 일이 서로 다르지 않았다는 것을 추론할 수 있다. 다른 말 로 하면, 노동이 성에 따라 분업화되지 않았다.
정답으로 고른 선택지를 빈칸에 넣고 자연스럽게 연결되는가를 확인한다.
•빈칸에 들어가는 sexual division of labor는 이 글의 핵심 어구이다.
■ 다음 빈칸에 알맞은 단어를 보기에서 찾아 쓰시오.
: extremely significant or important ex. Your information can be for arresting criminals. : a plan or method for achieving something, especially over a long period of time ex. The best to combat fear is to bring your attention back to the present. : the remains of something broken down or destroyed ex. Only a pile of was left as evidence of what was once a peaceful place. : someone who studies the buildings, graves, tools and other objects of people who lived in the past ex. A village of small houses has been found by a(n) studying in England.
: an idea or belief about something ex. My wife doesn’t have the slightest
해석 1. 매우 의미 있거나 중요한 ex) 당신의 정보가 범죄자를 체포하는 데 결정적일 수가 있다. 2. 특히 아주 오랜 시간에 걸쳐 무엇인가를 성취하기 위한 계획이나 방법 ex) 두려움과 싸우기 위한 가장 좋은 전략은 당신의 관심을 현재로 다시 가져오는 것이다. 3. 부서지거나 파괴된 어떤 것의 나머지 ex) 잔해 더미만이 한때 평화로운 곳이었던 것의 증거로 남아 있었다. 4. 과거에 살았던 사람들의 건물, 무덤, 연장 그리고 다른 물건들을 연구하는 사람 ex) 작은 집들이 있는 어느 마을이 영국에서 공부하는 한 고고학자에 의해 발견되었다. 5. 무엇인가에 관한 생각이나 믿음 ex) 나의 아내는 경제에 대해서는 아무런 개념이 없다. 정답 1. crucial
06. 빈칸 완성``⑶
2. strategy 3. debris 4. archaeologist 5. notion
that imagined catastrophe in turn triggers a mild attack of anxiety. deaf and mute ② love is experienced only in fantasy ③ every love is little more than self-love ④ sentimental attachment leads to obsession ⑤ we try to change those we love as we wish
successful. each of which primes yet another topic for worry. understandable.” Its essence lies in the fact that . union. It empowers them because they feel they are a significant dimension of a worthwhile enterprise. When an organization has a clear vision. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
While people are immersed in their worried thoughts. The compelling nature of the vision touches the experiences of followers and pulls them into supporting the organization.
① necessarily creates high levels of anxiety and fear ② generally accelerates the development of creativity ③ partially alleviates the experience of being anxious ④ actively encourages involvement in decision making ⑤ completely eliminates the ability to respond flexibly
2. The most widespread form of this type of love is that to be found in the vicarious love satisfaction experienced by the consumer of screen pictures.I I
정답과 해설 20~23쪽
1. To be
28 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. it is easier for people within the organization to learn how they fit in with the overall direction of the organization.” As long as love is a daydream. The vision usually is simple. and believable future. as attention continues to be carried along by this train of worry. . Although leaders play a large role in articulating the vision. as spectators of other people’s “love. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
Transforming leaders have a clear vision of the future state of their organizations. as soon as it comes down to the reality of the relationship between two real people`—`they are frozen. seeing these stories on the screen is the only occasion on which they experience love`—`not for each other. For many couples. The worrier then plunges into a long series of distressed thoughts. and energy creating. magazine love stories and love songs. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
One form of pseudo-love is what may be called “sentimental love. but together.
① love is blind. realistic. the vision has to grow out of the needs of the entire organization and be claimed by those within it. to the exclusion of catastrophic images. they can participate. so immersion in thoughts. focusing on these very thoughts takes the mind off the original catastrophic image that triggered the anxiety. All the unfulfilled desires for love. beneficial. A man and a woman who in relation to their spouses are incapable of ever penetrating the wall of separateness are moved to tears when they participate in the happy or unhappy love story of the couple on the screen. they do not seem to notice the subjective sensations of the anxiety those worries stir and as the worry proceeds it actually seems to suppress some of that anxiety.
① is often inspired by their past failures ② depends on not its creativity but its feasibility ③ originates from both the leaders and the followers ④ does not necessarily guarantee their success at work ⑤ leads to considerable conflicts and stresses for
3. It is an image of an attractive. and closeness find their satisfaction in the consumption of these products. The sequence presumably goes something like this: The worrier notices something that triggers the image of some potential threat. Images are more powerful triggers for physiological anxiety than are thoughts. the emergence of the vision .
” The relationship between one of Us and one of Them by definition lacks empathy. Many people are under the mistaken impression that roundabouts cause congestion. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
The “ ” idea shows up often in traffic. The catch: they could not see the potential victim but simply heard a description of him or her.
① find it easier to assimilate ② only see what we want to see ③ close off our altruistic impulses ④ draw conclusions using keen reasoning ⑤ consider ourselves as better than others
6. The old parts are in charge of too many fundamental functions for them to be replaced altogether. There is no way for evolution to rip out the ancient interior of the brain because of its imperfections and replace it with something of more modern manufacture. k r
4. Add to this such complications as left-turn arrows. the voice would not be heard as fully or openly as would that of one of Us`—`if at all. then the limbic system or mammalian brain and finally the cerebral cortex. That is why our brainstem is surrounded by the R-complex which evolved in our reptilian ancestors. but a necessary consequence of our evolution. we . the light will not be green. very rarely is a city planned for the remote future. a series of experiments in which volunteers were asked if they would be willing to get
06. The evolution of a city is like the evolution of the brain: it develops from a small center and slowly grows and changes. So they wheeze along.” “the world is divided in two: the children of light and the children of darkness. Drivers do have to slow down as they approach a roundabout. for example. however. with the words “UsThem.
① slower is faster ② there is no shortcut ③ risky roads are safer ④ accidents will happen ⑤ unfair waits seem longer
5. the seat of our humanity. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
As Walter Kaufmann put it. the elect and the damned.w w w . but under typical traffic conditions they rarely have to stop. The more unlike themselves the other person was described as being`—`the more one of Them`—`the more unwilling they were to come to their rescue. there is often a rolling queue of vehicles just starting up from the previous red. not to mention the “clearance phase” when all lights must be red. But a properly designed roundabout can reduce delays by up to 65 percent over an intersection with traffic signals or stop signs. to make sure everyone has cleared the intersection. Moreover. * cerebral cortex: 대뇌 피질
① maximizing efficiency in cells ② revolutionizing the whole system ③ leaving many old parts still working ④ continuously resisting external stimuli ⑤ being relatively small in size and weight
an electrical shock in place of someone else. e b s i . The brain must function during the renovation. when we relate to someone as one of Them. 다음 글의 빈칸에 들어갈 말로 가장 적절한 것은?
Most of the world’s great cities have grown haphazardly. The classic example concerns roundabouts. let alone attunement. 빈칸 완성``⑶
. in response to the needs of the moment. and even if it is green. the sheep and the goats. out-of-date and sometimes counterproductive. _________________. little by little. an individual driver who has a green light may fly through a signalized intersection much more quickly than through a roundabout. Should one of Them presume to speak to one of Us. Take. Roughly half the time. which prevent the majority of drivers from moving. c o . Sure.
(B). 글을 읽으면서 글의 소재나 주제를 빨리 파악하고. 네모나 밑줄에 해당하는 어휘에 주로 반의어가 제시되어 난이도가 높아지는 경우가 많으므로 특히 밑줄 어휘 추론의 경우 반의어를 가질 수 있는 어휘 에 유의하면서 글을 읽어야 한다. another person who is about to step in front of a bus because such an “appeal” works better and faster than trying to offer logical reasons the person should be careful. when trying to convince an elderly person to purchase additional health insurance. On the other hand. and more in spotting a potential (C) ailment / welfare in the audience and making more of it than is reasonable. it seems (A) proper / improper to yell at.07
어휘 추론은 대조되는 어휘나 철자가 유사한 어휘 2개를 제시하여 문맥에 알맞은 어휘를 추론하는 능력을 측정하는 유형과 5개의 밑줄 친 어휘에서 문맥 상 부적절한 어휘 하나를 고르는 두 가지 유형으로 대표된다. 또한 평소에 반의어나 유사 철자어의 뜻을 확실하게 파악해 두어야 한다. If. 마침내
30 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. For instance. (C)의 각 네모 안에서 문맥에 맞는 낱말로 가장 적절한 것은?
In supporting an argument. 네모 어휘 추론의 경우 앞뒤 문맥과 어울리는 어휘를 고르고. 모두 없애다 ● impetus 추진력 ● spot 발견하다
suspicious 의심스러운 logical 논리적인 ● convince 설득하다 ● reasoning 추론 ● in the long run 결국. 2. 1.
(A) ① proper ② improper ③ proper ④ improper ⑤ proper (B) terrifying terrifying terrifying reassuring reassuring (C) welfare ailment ailment welfare welfare
…… …… …… …… ……
…… …… …… …… ……
W s &Phrases ord
unethical 비윤리적인 startle 놀라게 하다 ● prey upon 괴롭히다. 특히 네모 칸이나 밑줄이 포함된 문장이 글의 흐름에 자연스러운가를 살펴본다. you must take care not to appeal to your audience’s emotions in an unethical or suspicious manner. preying upon the feelings of others is unfair and unjust. 밑줄 어휘의 경우 주제나 글의 흐름에 어긋나는 어휘를 선택하여 본문 속에서 최종적으로 확인하여야 한다. 3.
Let’s Check It Out
정답과 해설 24쪽
■ (A). you are using unfair emotional appeal. you offer as evidence only (B) terrifying / reassuring stories of other senior citizens who were forced from their homes after extraordinary medical bills wiped out their bank accounts. 약탈하다 ● wipe out 지우다. in order to startle. Such “reasoning” finds its impetus less in offering real reasons why additional health insurance may save money in the long run.
suspicious 5. (B) 과도한 의료비 때문에 은행 잔고가 바닥이 나서 집 ‘질병’ 찾는 것에 더 초점을 맞춘 을 에서 쫓겨난 노인에 대한 ‘무서운’ 이야기이고. don’t : openly distrustful and unwilling to confide ex. 갑작스럽지만 심각하지 않게 놀라게 하다. 증거로서 설득하거나 마음에 들게 하다 ex) 그들은 그가 어려운 협상가이며 설득하기가 힘들다는 것에 동의한다.
: capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner ex. 공공연하게 불신하거나 믿지 않으려 하는 ex) 그는 수상한 행동 때문에 경찰서에 연행되었다. Cooperation served as the for that team’s winning the championship. A friendly greeting or bell is considerate and works well. convince
. 5. 4. startle 4.
•첫 문장이 주제문이며. that impels. 효과가 있다.
해석 1. They agree that he is a tough negotiator and hard to
네모 앞뒤의 내용을 파악하여 어떤 어휘가 적절한가 생각해 본다. 분명하고 일관된 방식으로 생각하고 자신을 표현할 수 있는 ex) 이 문제를 푸는 좀 더 논리적인 접근 방법이 분명히 있을 것이다.
■ 다음 빈칸에 알맞은 단어를 보기에서 찾아 쓰시오.
•(A) to yell at another person who is about to step in front of a bus / such an appeal works better and faster →
proper or improper
•(B) preying upon the feelings of others / stories of other senior citizens who were forced from their homes after extraordinary medical bills wiped out their bank accounts → terrifying or reassuring •(C) 앞에 나온 노인에 대한 예를 제시하는 추론(such reasoning)은 듣는 사람의 잠재적인 어떤 것을 찾아내려고 하는 것인가? → ailment or welfare
문맥에 맞는 어휘를 고르고. 위급함을 알리다 ex) 친근한 인사나 벨은 사려 깊은 것이며. He was taken to the police station on account of his : to persuade or satisfy the mind by evidence ex. There must be a more approach to solve this problem. 글의 흐름을 다시 확인한다. either internal or external. 2. 3.
. 추진력 ex) 협동은 그 팀이 선수권 대회에서 우승할 수 있는 추진력이 되었다. 정답 1.
1. 어떤 주장에 대한 근거를 댈 때 비윤리적이거나 의심스러운 방식으로(in an unethical or suspicious manner) 듣는 사람의 감정에 호소하지 말아야 한다고 말하고 있다. 즉 다른 사람들을 놀라게 하지 마라.Comprehension Process
글의 주제나 필자가 주장하는 요지를 빠르게 파악한다. logical
others. an impulse ex. (C) 앞에 나온 사례는 듣는 사람의 잠재적인 추론이다. to alarm ex. 어휘 추론
3. impetus 3.
•(A) 버스 앞에 뛰어 드는 사람에게 소리를 지르는 것은 ‘적절한’ 것이며.
4. 내부적 또는 외부적으로 추진시키는 힘. : a force. : to frighten suddenly and not seriously.
understanding. Get a mentor in your current or new role who can help you to focus on results that matter to your employer and guide your (A) assimilation / simulation process. 다음 글의 밑줄 친 부분 중. if misinterpreted. as appropriate limit setting will keep most of the sand and water ⑤`confined to receptacles. this does not seem to be a ④`valid reason. 문맥상 낱말의 쓰임이 적절하지 않
2. even though water is one of the most effective therapeutic mediums of all playroom materials. There is no point in leaving students to grope their way towards understanding without direct intervention to (C) clarify / conceal what might remain unaccessible for so long that they will abandon literature in frustration if they are not helped. Go to trade shows and conventions. and continue to update. but they are the ①`least likely materials to be found in play therapy settings. If an individual was helpful in finding your new job. be sure to let him or her know the outcome. Each student will have a different need. However. It is also a good idea to notify everyone in your network that you are in a new position and provide contact information. Even in nonplayroom. (B). and some of these conventions will. providing this
Sand and water are probably the most used unstructured play media by children. Make a personal (C) commitment / compliment to continue networking in order to be in charge of your career development. Saying thank you to those who helped in your ( B) transition / transaction will encourage the business relationship.
* receptacle: 그릇. Networking doesn’t stop once you’ve made a career change. ③`Willingness also may stem from a legitimate concern about having to clean up. understanding. and add to your network list.
(A) ① assimilation ② assimilation ③ simulation ④ simulation ⑤ assimilation (B) transition transaction transaction transition transition (C) commitment compliment compliment commitment compliment
…… …… …… …… ……
…… …… …… …… ……
…… …… …… …… ……
…… …… …… …… ……
3. But the text itself will be constructed on the basis of conventions which may or may not be directly accessible to the student. 용기
32 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. so each student will derive a slightly (A) distinctive / identical message from reading a particular book or poem. correct. make business friends. and expectation.I I
정답과 해설 24~27쪽
1. so (B) complement / distort the meaning that the text will be perceived as incomprehensible. a dishpan with an inch of sand and a bucket with a couple of inches of water would serve the purpose quite well. limited-space settings. (B). The ②`absence of sand and water in play therapy settings is most likely the result of therapists’ low tolerance for messiness and a need to keep things neat and clean. or irrelevant. (C)의 각 네모 안에서 문맥에 맞는 낱말로 가장 적절한
It is important to keep your network informed of your career progress. (A). and expectations with a written text.
(A) ① distinctive ② identical ③ identical ④ distinctive ⑤ identical (B) complement distort complement distort complement (C) clarify conceal clarify clarify conceal
information will increase the likelihood of getting help in the future. (A). (C)의 각 네모 안에서 문맥에 맞는 낱말로 가장 적절한
The process of reading is a process of meaning-creation by integrating one’s own needs.
each (C) moderating / stimulating the other’s excess. The common good and happiness of each are democracy’s equally legitimate ends. 문맥상 낱말의 쓰임이 적절하지 않
5. a French scholar. and they wish to remain free. which can be practiced only in ⑤`restraint and never as the result of a compulsion. e b s i . they expect their doctors to show a great deal of concern. in the exercise of a passive affect.” The republican and liberal sides of modern states will undoubtedly never manage to form anything but an unstable balance. Thus Spinoza arrives at the statement that virtue and power are one and the same.
satisfy them both at once. * affect: 정서
07. man is free. regardless of whether any external change is brought about. He ②`differentiates among the affects between active and passive affects. 문맥상 낱말의 쓰임이 적절하지 않
The meeting of the two sides`—`“republican” on the one side and “liberal” on the other `— `is what distinguishes modern democracies. 어휘 추론
.’ In the exercise of an active affect. cannot always be pursued simultaneously: their field of application does not (A) coincide / diverge . especially when performing surgery. ambition.
* propensity: 성향. the modern one. jealousy. they can develop warm relationships with their patients. They obviously want a cure. but they also ③ crave emotional support. their illnesses. they strive to
One concept of activity. refers to the use of energy for the achievement of external aims. which. Envy. They have learned to view patients unemotionally. says it in his own way: “Our contemporaries are constantly excited by two conflicting passions: they want to be led. If doctors attune themselves to these expectations. the object of motivations of which he himself is not aware. and their suffering is a highly emotional reality. friendly doctors are more likely than ①` dominant doctors to take into account the views. the practice of a human power. illness is ②`unusual. The latter concept of activity was clearly formulated by Spinoza. the other concept of activity refers to the use of man’s ①`inherent powers. any kind of greed are ④`passions. As they cannot destroy either the one or the other of these (B) contrary / harmonious propensities. feelings. 다음 글의 밑줄 친 부분 중. 다음 글의 밑줄 친 부분 중. which involves inserting their hands in diseased strangers without ⑤` losing their nerve. he is the ③`master of his affect. love is an action. Thus. Tocqueville. and expectations the patients have about themselves. To the patients.w w w . 경향
(A) ① coincide ② coincide ③ diverge ④ coincide ⑤ diverge
…… …… …… …… ……
(B) contrary harmonious harmonious contrary contrary
…… …… …… …… ……
(C) moderating stimulating moderating stimulating stimulating
6. even if they spring from the same source. 문맥상 낱말의 쓰임이 적절하지 않
We can assume that in interacting with patients. c o . But this is no easy task because physicians have been trained to take a ④`passionate approach to disease. ‘action’ and ‘passion. 다음 글의 밑줄 친 부분 중. as it does not happen to them every day. k r
4. and their doctors. man is driven.
① (A) . that. Infants able to crawl are placed on the ‘shallow’ side. 이러한 연결사를 토대로 전후 문장의 흐름을 파악하 는 것이 중요하다. 바둑판 모양 ● urge 강력히 권고[촉구]하다. (손짓으로) 부르다 ● checkerboard 서양 장기판. 주어진 글의 내용을 정확히 파악하여 다음에 어떤 내용이 올지 추측할 수 있어야 한다.(B) ② (B) . 역접. In contrast.(A) . 통찰력 ● shallow 얕은. the other side has a tablecloth with the same pattern several feet below the surface. (A) To adults. 전후 사정 perception 인지[인식]. it looks like the surface falls off sharply at the boundary between the two parts. babies of the same age who are not yet crawling do not show similar signs of fear. which was first used by Gibson and Walk.(B) . One side has a tablecloth with a checkerboard pattern just below the surface.(C) ④ (C) .(A) ③ (B) . them 등). 1. 예시.(A)
W s &Phrases ord
crawl (엎드려) 기다 motor skill 운동 기술 ● cliff 벼랑. One task that illustrates this link between motor skill and perception especially well is the visual cliff.(B) . this. 얄팍한 ● plexiglass 플렉시 유리(특수 아크릴 수지) ● accelerate 가속화되다. 주로 글의 유기적 인 흐름이나 논리적인 관계를 통해 글의 순서를 파악해야 한다. 지각. (B) This task involves a clear plexiglass surface on which infants can crawl. 인과 관계.
Let’s Check It Out
정답과 해설 27쪽
■ 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
Infants who are able to crawl display better perceptual skills in a variety of contexts than do infants of the same age who are not yet able to crawl. these. just before the boundary with the ‘deep’ side. 또는 관사는 글과 글을 연결하는 중요한 연결고리 역할을 하므로 순서를 정하는 데 중요한 단서가 된다. 추가 등의 의미를 나타내는 연결사는 순서 파악에 결정적인 단서가 되므로. 지시어나 대명사(it. 재촉하다
context (어떤 일의) 맥락. and their mothers beckon them to crawl across to them. 3.(A) . 가속화하다
34 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. and their heart rates accelerate when they are urged to do so. 절벽 ● beckon (오라고) 손짓하다.(C) ⑤ (C) . (C) Seven-month-olds who have been crawling for 6 to 8 weeks often refuse to cross. 2.(C) .08
주어진 글을 포함한 4개의 글을 논리적으로 재구성하는 능력을 측정하는 유형으로 매년 대학수학능력시험에서 1문항씩 출제되고 있다.
(누군가로 하여금) 무언가를 하도록 진지하게 또는 끈질기게 설득하고자 노력하다 ex) 나는 당신들 모두가 시간을 들여 목록에 있는 소설 중 최소한 세 권을 읽을 것을 강력히 권한다. 5.
5. (C)에 기어 다닐 수 있는 유아와 그렇지 못한 유아의 반응에 대한 내용이 언급되고 있다. our environment has an important impact on our things around us. beckon 4. 2. 손과 무릎으로 또는 지면 가까이에 몸을 질질 끌면서 앞으로 나아가다 ex) 한 남자가 불타는 잔해 속에서 기어 나오고 있었다. 3.
1. 누군가에게 더 가까이 오거나 따라오라고 손. 특히 시각을 사용한 어떤 것의 인지[인식].
3. In our science class. They 4.
각 글에서 사용된 지시어가 주어진 글과 연결고리 역할을 할 수 있음을 인식한다. or head to encourage someone to come nearer or follow him to come and join her. 점점 더 빨라지다.
•운동 기술과 인지[지각] 사이의 관련을 보여 주는 과업으로 시각 벼랑을 제시하면서 시각 벼랑 과업에 대한 자세한 내용이 다음에 올 것이라는 단서를 제공한다. arm. 이 단서를 통해 (B) 다음에 (A)가 와야 한다는 것을 알 수 있다. accelerate 3. crawl 5. especially the sense of sight ex.
: the recognition of things using your senses. urge
단락에서 제시된 단서를 통해 다음에 올 내용을 추측한다.
: to move forward on the hands and knees or by dragging the body close to the ground ex.
주어진 글의 단서를 통해 다음에 올 내용을 추측한다. 당신의 감각들.
•(B)의 This task는 주어진 글의 시각 벼랑 과업을 받고 있으므로 주어진 글 다음에 (B) 글이 와야 한다는 것을 알 수 있다. 순서 파악
•(A)의 the two parts는 (B)의 One side와 the other side를 지칭하므로. ex.
■ 다음 빈칸에 알맞은 단어를 보기에서 찾아 쓰시오. ex. : to try earnestly or persistently to persuade (someone) to do something you all to take the time to read at least three novels on the list. 우리의 환경은 우리 주변의 것들에 대한 우리의 인지 [인식]에 중요한 영향을 끼친다.
•(A)의 마지막 부분에 엄마가 유아들에게 기어서 건너오도록 손짓을 한다는 내용이 제시되어 있으므로 유아들의 반응이 다음에 올 것임을 알 수 있다. 더 빠르게 움직이기 시작하다 ex) 과학 수업 시간에 우리는 떨어지는 물체가 어떻게 가속이 붙는지를 배운다. perception
08. 4. Whether we are conscious of it or not. 지각 ex) 우리가 그것에 대해 의식적이든 아니든. : to make a gesture with the hand. I
해석 1. 정답 1. : to get faster and faster. we learn how falling bodies .Comprehension Process
주어진 글을 읽고 다음에 올 내용과 관련된 어떤 단서가 존재하는가를 살펴본다. to begin to move more quickly ex. 팔 또는 머리로 동작을 취하다 ex) 그들이 그에게 와서 그녀와 합류하라고 손짓한다.
2. A man was ing away from the burning wreckage.
because of the practical difficulties of observing whale behavior. (C) But suppose we choose the item that’s not free. FREE gives us such an emotional charge that we perceive what is being offered as immensely more valuable than it really is. zero is not just another price.(B) .(A) .(A) . we go for what is free. It is difficult to determine the membership of these groups from sightings alone.(C) ② (B) . in addition to taking photos which allow individual whales to be identified. (A) But when they do surface. The Wife of Bath’s Prologue. 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
Most transactions have an upside and downside. given the choice. from 58 surviving fifteenth-century manuscripts. Biologists who study whale
① (A) .
* nested hierarchy: 내포위계(상위 수준이 하위 수준을 포함하는 경우)
2.(A) ④ (C) .(C) .(A) . suggesting that these are the manuscripts that will give the most clues to Chaucer’s original version. but when something is FREE we forget the downside.
① (A) . (C) The DNA extracted from these bits of whale skin not only identifies the individuals in the group. This has allowed researchers to describe sperm whale social groups in detail.(A) ④ (C) .(A) .I I
정답과 해설 28~31쪽
1. most of which happens underwater.(C) . (B) To make things even more difficult.(A)
behavior generally have to be content with hanging around in boats.(B) . is in a category all its own. and used this information to draw a diagram indicating the relationships between the manuscripts. word usage.
① (A) .(B) . (B) I think it’s because humans are intrinsically afraid of loss. The real allure of FREE is tied to this fear. a series of stories told by pilgrims on their way to Canterbury. but there are around 80 surviving copies. And so. in the land of pricing. Only 10 cents can make a huge difference in demand.(A) ④ (C) . (B) They constructed nested hierarchies of shared differences in spelling. each representing a chain of copies.(B) . Why? (A) For this reason. They found five distinct groups of related manuscripts. the zero price effect.(B) . their research also identified a group of key texts that appear to be much closer to the ancestral text. was written in the late fourteenth century.(C) ③ (B) . and may even share suckling of calves.(B) ⑤ (C) .(B).(C) . 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
Sperm whales travel in social groups that cooperate to defend and protect each other.(C) ② (B) . 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. This.(A) . There is a risk of having made a poor decision`— `the possibility of a loss. There’s no visible possibility of loss when we choose a FREE item.(C) ③ (B) . sperm whales can travel across entire oceans and can dive to a depth of a kilometer.(C) ② (B) . it is possible to group the manuscripts into a nested hierarchy. (A) Importantly.(B) ⑤ (C) . (C) By comparing the similarities and differences of the surviving copies. waiting for their subjects to surface. but nothing beats the emotional surge of FREE.(A) . and punctuation. The original version of the Canterbury Tales has disappeared.(A)
36 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. but also reveals their relationships to each other. biologists can zip over in worryingly small boats and pick up the bits of skin that the whales leave behind on the surface when they resubmerge.(B) ⑤ (C) .(A)
3.(C) ③ (B) . A research group including specialists in both literature and evolutionary biology compared 850 lines from one of the tales.
(A) ② (B) .(B) . (C) They hurried to their feet to fight off their attackers. and traits.w w w . they found challenge. Pausing on the banks of the river for the night. life had no meaning. when asked to begin their volunteer activity. would decide that the entire village should move.(C) ③ (B) . That did not earn Xiang Yu a place on the Chinese army’s list of favorite commanders. (C) Yet.
① (A) . college students volunteered for an AIDS education project in the local schools.(B) .(C) ③ (B) . (B) Now life would regain its meaning and be worth living. the people would live in permanent village sites and exploit the environs for needed resources.(A) ② (B) . it seems that active commitments give us the kind of information we use to shape self-image. to their horror.(C) ④ (C) .
① (A) .(C) ④ (C) . preferences. and that he had also ordered all the cooking pots crushed. In this region. rich in salmon and game. c o . new areas where the balsamroot would be plentiful. Incidentally. those who volunteered actively were more likely to explain their decisions by implicating their personal values. the great majority(74%) who actually appeared for duty came from the ranks of those who had actively agreed to participate. but soon discovered that it was Xiang Yu himself who had set their ships on fire. (B) Three to four days later. in one study.
① (A) .(A) ⑤ (C) .(B)
5. new game trails to learn. which solidify the new self-image. The other half volunteered passively by failing to fill out a form stating that they didn’t want to participate. rich in below-ground food resources such as tubers and roots`─`a plentiful land. completely obliterating the main-force units of the Qin Dynasty. There were new streams to figure out. the elders said. those moves occurring every 25 to 30 years. at times the world became too predictable and the challenge began to go out of life.(C) . (A) Xiang Yu explained to his troops that without the pots and the ships. they had no other choice but to fight their way to victory or perish.(A) .(C) ③ (B) .(A) . it also allowed exploited resources in one area to recover after years of harvesting. k r
4. 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
The rippling impact of behavior on one’s selfconcept and future behavior can be seen in research investigating the effect of active versus passive commitments. they charged ferociously against the enemy and won nine consecutive battles. 순서 파악
. a Chinese commander named Xiang Yu led his troops across the Yangtze River to attack the army of the Qin Dynasty.(C) ④ (C) .(A) .(A) .(B) .(B)
6. Without challenge. 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
In 210 BC.(C) .
08.(B) . For instance. his troops awakened in the morning to find.(A) ⑤ (C) .(B) . Everyone would feel rejuvenated and healthy. (C) The researchers arranged for half to volunteer actively by filling out a form stating that they wanted to participate.(B)
(B) But it did have a tremendous focusing effect on his troops: grabbing their lances and bows. In all.(A) . that their ships were burning. 주어진 글 다음에 이어질 글의 순서로 가장 적절한 것은?
The Shushwap region was and is considered by the Indian people to be a rich place. (A) What is more. in their wisdom.(A) ⑤ (C) .(B) . (A) The entire population would move to a different part of the Shushwap land and there. So the elders. which then shapes future actions.(A) . e b s i .(C) .(A) ② (B) .
it evolved a very specific and influential music policy that changed the very nature of concert life in Great Britain. 글 전체에서 논리적인 흐름이나 공백이 있는 곳을 찾고 글의 구성 방식 등을 파악하는 능력을 측정하며. 내용의 흐름을 통해 주어진 문장이 들어갈 위치를 찾은 후에는. for instance. ②`As a national organization subsidized by government funds. ①`The BBC. 지시어 등 최대한 많은 것을 파악한 후에 글의 논리적 전개 과정에 집중 하면서 주어진 문장이 들어갈 위치를 찾는다. 3. 음(파)의
38 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. ⑤`Perhaps more importantly. 창립. 단락 속에 문장 넣기 유형은 주어진 문장 속에서 연결사. 진화하다. 이때 무관한 문장에도 핵심 어가 있으며. 확립 patronage 후원. ③`Nevertheless their investment in advertising and change of music policy was not able to increase audiences further.
Let’s Check It Out
정답과 해설 31쪽
■ 다음 글에서 전체 흐름과 관계 없는 문장은?
The establishment of radio stations throughout Europe and the United States in the 1920s provided unprecedented opportunities for the patronage of concert music. 무관한 문장을 찾은 후에는 주제와 관련이 없는 내용인지를 한 번 더 확인한다. the BBC served to bring concert music to a much wider public than ever before. however. 부사어. 무관한 문장 찾기 유형은 전반부에 제시된 핵심어가 아니라 핵심 내용을 먼저 파악한 후 나머지 문장들의 내용을 점검한다. 무 관한 문장 찾기는 글의 주제를 파악한 후 그 주제와 관계없는 문장을 찾을 수 있는가를 측정한다. established its own orchestras and choirs. 대명사. 발전하다 ● investment 투자 ● sonic 소리의. 관사. 앞 문장과의 연결성을 위장하기 위하여 종종 연결사가 이용되므로 주의해야 한다. 필요 조건
unprecedented 선례[전례]가 없는 choir 합창단 ● evolve 전개하다. 단 락 속에 문장 넣기는 주어진 문장을 잘 읽고. 세력 있는 ● commission 의뢰하다. 2. 위임하다 ● requirement 필요물. some of which were specially designed for the specific sonic requirements of the radio. 명사와 대명사 등의 형식적인 측면의 단서로 다시 한 번 확인하고. helping to support employment within the music profession.
1. ④`Moreover the BBC’s patronage extended to the commissioning of new works. 장려 ● subsidize 보조금[장려금]을 주다 ● influential 영향을 미치는.09
단락 속에 문장 넣기・무관한 문장 찾기는 글의 흐름과 단락을 구성하는 문장들 간의 통일성 및 일관성을 판단할 수 있는 능력을 측정하는 유형이다.
W s &Phrases ord
■ 다음 빈칸에 알맞은 단어를 보기에서 찾아 쓰시오. : the support given to an organization by someone ex.
해석 1. 글이 논리적으로 연결되는지를 확인한다. The government is going to everyone to buy their own houses. 어떤 사람에 의해 한 단체에 주어지는 지원 ex) 이 음악회는 많은 작곡가들의 친절한 후원으로 가능했다. subsidize
09. 어떤 일의 비용의 일부를 대다 ex) 정부는 자신의 집을 구매하는 모두에게 보조금을 줄 예정이다. commission
: to formally ask someone to do a special piece of work ex. Cathy has been invited to sing in a(n) in a foreign country.
: a group of people who sing together. He was (e)d to paint the Lord Mayor’s portrait.
각각의 문장의 내용을 파악하여 전체 구조 속에서 어떤 역할을 하는지 점검한다.
•The establishment of radio stations ~ provided unprecedented opportunities for the patronage of concert music. 과거에는 전혀 발생하거나 존재하지 않은 ex) 우리는 선례가 없는 규모로 환경이 파괴되는 것을 목격해 왔다. This concert was made possible by the kind of many composers.Comprehension Process
글의 도입 부분이 되는 첫 문장이나 전반부에서 글의 핵심 내용을 파악한다. 4. 정답 1.
3. We have witnessed environmental destruction on a(n)
2. : to pay part of the cost of something ex.
•① BBC 방송국의 음악 직업 내에서의 고용 후원 → 콘서트 음악 후원 예시 •② 콘서트 생명의 본성을 변화시킨 음악 정책 전개 → BBC의 음악 후원 정책 •③ 광고 투자와 음악 정책의 변화가 관객을 더 증가시킬 수 없었음 → 전체 내용과 반대 •④ 라디오의 특정한 소리를 위한 특별한 계획 → BBC 음악 후원 정책의 확장 •⑤ 콘서트 음악을 대중에게 더 폭넓게 전파 → BBC 음악 후원 정책의 효과
무관한 문장을 제거한 다음. 5. 전체 글과 반대의 내용을 언급 하고 있으므로 무관한 문장이 된다. unprecedented 3.: 라디오 방송국의 설립이 콘서트 음악을 후원하는 기회를 제공했다는 내용의 글이다. 2. 이 문장을 제거하면 evolved a very specific and influential music policy와 Moreover the BBC’s patronage extended ~가 자연스럽게 연결된다.
5. choir 4.
•음악 정책의 변화(change of music policy)라는 내용으로 앞 문장과의 연결성을 위장하였지만. 어떤 사람에게 특별한 작업을 하도록 공식으로 요청하다 ex) 그는 런던 시장의 초상화를 그리도록 의뢰받았다. especially in a church ex.
scale. 특히 교회에서 함께 노래를 부르는 사람들의 집단 ex) Cathy는 외국에 있는 한 합창단에서 노래를 부르도록 초청받았다. patronage 5. : never having happened or existed in the past ex. 단락 속에 문장 넣기・무관한 문장 찾기
주어진 문장이 들어가기에 가장 적절한 곳
Their stomachs have yielded the bones of a species of fish that has never been seen alive. ( ① ) There is no evidence that they are feeding to any great extent on sardines. ⑤`For example. mackerel. 글의 흐름으로 보아. 글의 흐름으로 보아. enforces collectivism. and it is highly significant. however. the emblem of modern agriculture. the northern fur seals of the eastern Pacific feed during the winter. ( ⑤ ) Ichthyologists say that this ‘seal fish’ belongs to a group that typically inhabits very deep water. regardless of whether it is likely to occur in reality.
* ichthyologist: 어류학자
concentrate in particular inner-city neighborhoods and.
3. ①`In Europe there are many immigrants. ( ⑤ ) There is something contrived about using a tractor to crash the fences. one of the two themes is sacrificed to the other. ( ③ ) For the unexpected and gripping effect is produced mainly by disclosing the congruence of two themes which are fraught with meaning inherently and independently of each other. which they spend off the coast of North America from California to Alaska. In Eisenstein’s The General Line a tractor is seen crashing through the fences that cut up a field into a number of small holdings. It had long been something of a mystery where. 일치. as are the many immigrants in the United States from Mexico and Central America. there has been a tradition of inviting various ethnic groups into a country for economic purposes. 주어진 문장이 들어가기에 가장 적절한 곳
This idea is.
* congruence: 조화(성). 합치
2.” ②` The immigrants are generally unskilled. increasingly. and the congruence is achieved artificially. and on what. in suburban districts. ④`But there and elsewhere. ( ④ ) In the Eisenstein example. ( ② ) In a “naturalistic” film any symbolic scene must be so planned that it not only makes this implicit meaning visible in a comprehensible manner. many immigrants with specialized skills are especially welcomed. not of a very high grade artistically because the episode that is shown simply makes a concrete scene of an abstract notion. not even its remains have been found anywhere except in the stomachs of seals. but also fits smoothly into the action and the world depicted in the film. in the 1990s and into the twenty-first century. ( ④ ) Indeed. or other commercially important fishes. ③`Not only do the immigrants settle overwhelmingly in some large “gateway” cities such as New York and Los Angeles. the computer and biotech industries in the United States have recruited many trained engineers and scientists from other countries. ( ① ) The scene is intended to convey symbolically that the tractor. off the edge of the continental shelf.I I
정답과 해설 31~34쪽
1. they also tend to
40 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. ( ③ ) But there is some evidence on the diet of the fur seals. 다음 글에서 전체 흐름과 관계 없는 문장은?
Since the Byzantine Empire. but the scale has changed. ( ② ) Presumably four million seals could not compete with commercial fishermen for the same species without the fact being known. who were initially called “guest workers.
c o . millions of young people every year do not get proper help. none of these institutions has as its first priority the delivery of mental health care.w w w . ③` Some studies. social or physical fabric nor reflect its identity or individuality. ①``These bland new buildings neither connect with the city’s public.’ you can be sure that the flavor of the food has been created synthetically from chemicals. k r
4. you might expect the flavors in it to come essentially from strawberries and yoghurt. the flavor will have been created synthetically
09. passive voter. the processing business typically robs so much of the strawberry’s natural flavor that in many cases it has to be at least enhanced artificially. When you pick up a strawberry yoghurt. the juvenile justice system. ( ① ) It’s rarely true of commercial yoghurt. and enabled to make informed decisions about their lives. ( ④ ) This is so much the norm that it’s a unique selling point if a strawberry yoghurt actually gets its flavor from strawberries and yoghurt. often in physical stature as well as importance to the city (nowadays expressed in terms of financial returns).
6. however. ②`Although today. ⑤`All too often there is no cooperation. the complexity of promoting collaboration across agency lines of all professionals serving the same child is daunting. however. ⑤`Power is concentrated in the hands of large companies. and our schools often provide care to children in need. ④` This suggests that people need to be reengaged as active citizens. ( ③ ) Only if the yoghurt is labelled ‘strawberry yoghurt’ will a significant proportion come from actual strawberries. communities and workplaces. ③`Active citizenship is discouraged and replaced by the role of consumer or.
다음 글에서 전체 흐름과 관계 없는 문장은?
Despite progress in the field of child and adolescent mental health. ①`Only one in five children with a serious emotional disturbance actually uses specialized mental health services. bland conurbations there is a parallel loss of citizenship. * conurbation: 광역 도시권`(= metropolitan area)
5. not enough money. and government largely acts in their favor. 글의 흐름으로 보아. ( ② ) Most of the time. ②`Bookchin has argued that when there is a physical loss of ‘cityness’ in favor of huge. where offices and retail units have replaced the library and the town hall. or on the farm. That would be true if you made it at home.
with chemical flavorings. and limited access to trained mental health professionals`—`and children and their families suffer the tragic consequences. 단락 속에 문장 넣기・무관한 문장 찾기
. have shown that those looking out for the best interests of a child can have difficulty communicating effectively about physical health issues. 주어진 문장이 들어가기에 가장 적절한 곳
Even then. fresh strawberry yoghurt. at best. ④`In addition. 다음 글에서 전체 흐름과 관계 없는 문장은?
Today’s modern landmarks reflect the values of commercialism. and it will be promoted as pure. ( ⑤ ) Whenever you see the words ‘flavor’ or ‘flavoring. e b s i . child welfare services.
Wearing a long. 뾰족한 ● chest 가슴 ● claw (고양이・매 따위의) 발톱. and he would hold a letter in one hand and touch the cat’s throat with the finger of his other hand.10
분위기・심경 파악은 주로 문학 작품에서 소재를 선택하여 글에 드러나는 정서적 특성을 이해하는 능력을 측정하는 유형이다. 고정시키다 peaked 앞 챙이 있는. 시간적 배경 및 필자나 주인공이 처해 있는 사건이나 상황을 파 악하고. 그 속에서 나타나는 정경이나 느낄 수 있는 심경을 추론한다. His cat lay on his chest and he pulled a light blanket over them both and opened and read the letters and drank from a glass of whisky and water on the floor. 1. 글 전체가 주는 암시적 혹 은 명시적인 분위기를 파악하고.
Let’s Check It Out
정답과 해설 35쪽
■ 다음 글의 분위기로 가장 적절한 것은?
He spread blankets on the floor and piled pillows to brace against the stuffed chair-back he placed against the leg of the living room table. 애정을 기울여
42 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. 3. 심경이나 분위기에 관련된 어휘를 익혀 두는 것이 좋다. 글에 나타난 어떤 사건이나 글에서 묘사되는 상황을 기초로 하여 등장인물들의 심경을 파악한다. 수필과 같은 다양한 글을 접하고. The cat kneaded his chest softly with the claws just catching in the wool of the man’s heavy blue jersey and he felt the cat’s long. peaked cap to shade his eyes. 특히. 2. * purr: (고양이가 기분 좋은 듯이) 목을 가르랑거리다
① festive and lively ③ cozy and comfortable ⑤ strange and mysterious ② scary and frightening ④ gloomy and depressing
W s &Phrases ord
pile 쌓다 stuffed 속을 넣은 ● shade 가리다. 글의 세세한 부분보다 글 전체가 주는 분위기나 느낌을 파악하도록 한다. His hand found the glass when he wanted it. 집게발 ● lovingly 사랑스럽게. 버티다. 분위기의 변화나 심경의 변화를 묻는 유형 은 정서적 특성과 관련된 어구에 밑줄을 그으면서 흐름상 변화가 있는지 주목한다. 분위기나 심경을 나타내는 반복적인 표현이나 구체적인 표현들을 종합하여 글의 전체적인 느낌을 파악한다. but he could not hear him because he had a silent purr. (근육을) 안마하다. lovingly spread weight and the purring under his fingers. 반죽하다 ● jersey (몸에 꼭 맞는) 셔츠
brace 떠받치다. he read his mail in the good light from the big reading lamp that stood on the table. 평소에 소설. 공간적. 그늘지게 하다 ● knead 주무르다. The cat was purring.
•집안 거실 바닥에 담요를 깔고(spread blankets on the floor). 그들의 이빨이 주된 방어 장치이다. 공간적 배경과 등장인물에 유의하면서 전체 내용을 개략적으로 파악한다.
■ 다음 빈칸에 알맞은 단어를 보기에서 찾아 쓰시오. 또는 새의 발톱 끝에 있는 날카롭고 굽어진 뿔 같은 구조물 ex) 그들은 날카로운 발톱이 없기 때문에. 고양이가 가르랑거리는 소리를 조용히 내고 있는 상황을 종합 하여 분위기를 판단할 수 있다. 쓰러지지 않도록 사물을 지탱하다 ex) 그 낡은 집의 벽면은 나무 지지대로 고정되었다.
1. : to support an object in order to stop it from falling down ex. or bird ex. horny structure at the end of a toe of a mammal. brace 5. I’m not the only person to spaghetti on buttered white bread and eat it like a sandwich.
•거실 바닥에 담요를 깔고 누워 위스키를 마시며 편지를 읽고 있고. 정답 1.
•he pulled a light blanket over them both: 담요를 끌어다가 덮음 •The cat was purring: 고양이가 가르랑거리는 소리를 냄 •The cat kneaded his chest softly: 고양이가 그의 가슴을 가볍게 토닥거림 •he felt the cat’s long. 많은 양의 물건으로 어떤 장소나 용기를 채우거나 표면을 덮다 ex) 나는 버터를 바른 흰 빵에 스파게티를 쌓아서 그것을 샌드위치처럼 먹는 유일한 사람이 아니다.
3. stuffed 3. curved. 3. they found a bag
. 4. 2. 목과 복부 사이의 신체의 부분 ex) 경찰관은 가슴에 양팔을 교차한 상태로 동상처럼 서 있었다. lovingly spread weight and the purring: 고양이의 무게와 가르랑거리는 소리를 느낌
배경 묘사와 등장인물이 처한 상황을 종합하여 분위기를 추론한다.
: a sharp.
with money. 5. their teeth are their primary defense mechanism. Because they lack sharp s. claw 4. 독서용 등의 밝은 빛에서 우편물을 읽음(he read his mail in
the good light from the big reading lamp) •고양이가 등장함(His cat lay on his chest)
등장인물이 처한 상황을 나타내는 결정적 단서가 되는 어구들에 초점을 맞춘다. : to fill a place or container or cover a surface with a large amount of things ex. Under his bed. The policeman stood like a statue with his arms folded across his : completely full of something ex. 어떤 것으로 완전히 가득 찬 ex) 그의 침대 밑에서 그들은 돈으로 채워진 가방을 발견했다.
: the part of the body between the neck and the abdomen ex. 파충류. 분위기・심경 파악
글의 시간적. pile
10. 포유류. reptile. The side wall of the old house was (e)d with a wooden support.
almost repented that I had brought them any food. and he began to tumble into his uniform. whether it was possible for me to drag them out of the vault. he looked out to where Roger and the boys were spear-fishing. I crawled up into the street. and here they were at least protected from the rain. and lay down on the sunning mattress on the flying-bridge. staying down varying lengths of time and coming up for air to disappear again. feeling that he remembered and admired them.
① shocked and helpless ② nervous and irritated ③ bored and indifferent ④ scared and frightened ⑤ comfortable and relieved
44 수능완성 외국어영역 유형편
. 다음 글에 드러난‘I’ 심경으로 가장 적절한 것은?
2. he grew more and more vivacious and animated. straight coat accentuated his narrow chest. I asked one of the girls who they were. but I stood deliberating a moment. As the house filled. He was a model usher. 다음 글에 드러난 Paul의 심경으로 가장 적절한 것은?
When Paul reached the ushers’ dressing-room. But if I did. they were too far gone for any medicine to help them. and all the people in his section thought him a charming boy. Paul dashed out to the front of the house to seat the early comers. He could hear Joseph shouting and laughing and see the bright color of the fish. but she only stared vacantly. It was very much as though this were a great reception and Paul were the host. for it would only tend to prolong their misery. might die in seclusion. half a dozen boys were there already. or drink. They were all diving. The air of the place was now getting too much for me. and more than that. muttering something that could not be understood. Lying on his belly to brown his back. * flying-bridge: 작은 무개 갑판
① solemn and grave ② crowded and noisy ③ peaceful and lively ④ urgent and impending ⑤ festive and celebratory
의 3. He slipped the sling of the rifle over one of the levers of the topside controls so that the rifle hung there handy. and where they lived. Joseph was rowing from one to another to
The woman refusing to speak. and the color came to his cheeks and lips. he carried messages and brought programs as though it were his greatest pleasure in life.
① bored and tired ② excited and proud ③ moved and thankful ④ sorry and apologetic ⑤ depressed and gloomy
take the fish off the spear points and drop them into the small boat. what then? They would only perish in the street. Somewhat calmed by his suppression. about which he was exceedingly sensitive. without hope of any permanent relief: for they must die very soon. Gracious and smiling he ran up and down the aisles. Paul thought it very becoming`—`though he knew the tight. occasionally coming up with fish on the spears.I I
정답과 해설 35~38쪽
1. red or red with brown speckles or red and yellow or striped yellow as Joseph took them off the spears or pulled them loose and tossed them back into the shade on the small boat. Nothing was too much trouble for him. and looking down upon them again. 다음 글의 분위기로 가장 적절한 것은?
The boat lay almost steady in the tide and the breeze. eat.
I found a deck chair at the edge of the sea. I stood for an hour and forty minutes beside the highway with my thumb out. it seemed that I had found a way to deal with my tiring crisis. he could not easily breathe. all the creatures and even the wind seemed in deep sleep. they were very friendly and kept turning around to rearrange things on the backseat to give me more space. A few birds were waking up and beginning to career through the air in matinal excitement. Before me was a view that I recognized from the brochure: the beach stretching away in a gentle curve towards the tip of the bay. 분위기・심경 파악
. the raffia roofs of the hotel bungalows were visible through gaps in the trees. e b s i . I thought they weren’t stopping for me at all. as if a kindly monster were taking discreet sips of water from a large goblet. I lugged my rucksack over to find a young couple arguing in the front seat. The silence over the fields and trees and the village came back and he could hear the birdsong. where the lorries were. Then he ran. Against my expectation. A bomb fell on the road.
① joyous → bored ② despairing → relieved ③ worried → embarrassed ④ indifferent → interested ⑤ anticipating → disappointed
10. Behind me. k r
4. the planes were gone and from the direction of the road came blasts of a whistle for the all-clear. The blast lifted him forward several feet and drove him face-first into the soil. 다음 글에 드러난‘I’ 심경 변화로 가장 적절한 것은?
5. Finally. but they were all full. watching with little stabs of despair as cars shot past and the sun tracked its way to the horizon. Not sure how to deal with this unfolding crisis. as though some of them were craning their necks to catch a better angle of the sun. c o .
① nervous → satisfied ② irritated → regretful ③ hopeful → desperate ④ worried → sorrowful ⑤ frightened → relieved
coconut trees inclining irregularly towards the turquoise sea. But the woods were near. When he came to. and it hit the field before he could go down. way over in the center of the village. I was about to abandon this plan as well when a battered old car pulled over. For a moment. the sky was a pale grey-blue. there would be streams and waterfalls and lakes in there. After a while. and he could not think.
* matinal: 아침의 ** raffia: 라피아(마다가스카르 섬에서 재배되는 야자과 식물)
① lively and festive ② calm and peaceful ③ gloomy and dreary ④ tense and frightening ⑤ desperate and hopeless
의 6. He kept on toward the woods. 다음 글에 드러난 Turner의 심경 변화로 가장 적절한 것은?
Turner took a step back. As he floundered across the furrows the attack was coming in. I could hear small lapping sounds beside me. his mouth and nose and ears were filled with dirt. but then the woman got out and allowed me to clamber into the back. I decided on an impulse to hitchhike into Belgium. He imagined a paradise. and after the rustlings of the night before. and the first row of
I presented myself at a series of hotels around the central station. But one screech hid another. 다음 글의 분위기로 가장 적절한 것은?
In the dawn light. with jungle-covered hills behind. He could not spit or swallow.w w w .