This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
A CASE STUDY
SURBHI HARDAS RADHIKA GUPTA TAMKENAT KHAN RAHUL MANDAL
INTRODUCTION ABOUT THE TEAMS IPL: THE NEEDED CHANGE
IPL: THE ATTITUDE FORMATION IPL: MARKETING STRATEGIES
IPL: FINANCIAL PERSPECTIVE IPL: THE GLOOMY SIDE
SUSTAINIBILITY AS A BUSINESS MODEL ? CONCLUSION
19-02-2013 NWIMSR, Pune 2
• IPL is a professional league for T20 Cricket Championship initiated by BCCI. • Brainchild of Mr. Lalit Kumar Modi • Launched on 14th September 2007 by BCCI on the lines of English Premier league (EPL). • DLF secured exclusive rights for IPL title sponsorship at Rs. 200 Cr. For 5 years. • Top Indian and International players take part in IPL, contributing to what is the world's "richest cricket tournament”
19-02-2013 NWIMSR, Pune
JAY MEHTA GMR SPORTS PVT. MEIYAPPAN ] MS DHONI STEPHEN FLEMING [$ 92m] 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.TEAM NAME VENUE EDEN GARDENS OWNER(S) SHAHRUKH KHAN. RED CHILLIES. Pune 4 . JUHI CHAWLA. LTD CAPTAIN GAUTAM GAMBHIR HEAD COACH/ VALUATION TREVOR BAYLISS [$ 78m] FEROZ SHAH KOTLA VIRENDER SEHWAG ERIC SIMONS [$ 84m] MA CHIDAMBARAM STADIUM THE INDIA CEMENTS LTD [G.
TEAM NAME VENUE WANKHEDE STADIUM OWNER(S) INDIA WIN SPORTS PVT. LTD LACHLAN MURDOCH. RAJ KUNDRA. CHINNASWAMY STADIUM DANIEL VETTORI RAY JENNINGS [$ 111 m] SAWAI MAAN SINGH STADIUM JAIPUR IPL CRICKET P. SHILPA SHETTY NWIMSR. [MUKESH AMBANI] RCB SPORTS VIJAY MALLYA [UNITED BREWERIES] CAPTAIN HARBHAJAN SINGH HEAD COACH/ VALUATION ROBIN SINGH [$ 112 m] M. LTD. Pune RAHUL DRAVID RAHUL DRAVID [$ 67 m] 19-02-2013 5 .
PREITY ZINTA.TEAM NAME VENUE SUBRATA ROY SAHARA STADIUM OWNER(S) SAHARA ADVENTURE SPORTS LTD [SUBRATA ROY] CAPTAIN SOURAV GANGULY HEAD COACH/ VALUATION PRAVEEN AMRE [$ 370 m] KPH DREAM MOHALI . KARAN PAUL] ADAM GILCHRIST DARREN LEHMANN [$ 76 m] RAJIV GANDHI INT’L STADIUM 19-02-2013 SUN TV GROUP KUMARA TOM MOODY SANGAKKARA [$80 m] 6 NWIMSR. CRICKET PVT. MOHIT BURMAN. LTD. DHARMSHALA [NESS WADIA. Pune .
DEFUNCT TEAMS TEAM NAME OWNER CAPTAIN COACH/ VALUE RENDEZVOUS SPORTS PVT. LTD MAHELA JAYAWARDENA GEOFF LAWSON [$ 333m] GAYATRI REDDY KUMARA SANGAKKARA DARREN LEHMANN [$ 107m] 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 7 .
2 – Under 19.TEAM COMPOSITION • Each team of IPL has a minimum of 16 players of whom 8 can be international • Composition of final 11 players – International.4 – National.4 – Ranji.1 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 8 .
16 lakhs • For bowlers. Pune 9 .Analysis by Indian Express [30/1/11] • A player loses out Rs 13. • Number of half centuries in all forms of the game is also found to be rewarding with Rs 1.50 lakhs • For wicketkeepers.26 lakhs for getting older by a year. Every additional wicket earns a player around Rs 18. • Increase in T20 batting average by one run fetches an additional Rs 2 lakhs to the cricketer's final bidding price. • One point increase in the strike rate in one-day internationals fetch Rs 1.30 lakhs for every additional half-century. the only criterion is the number of wickets in all forms of the game. an additional stumping contributes about Rs 1.000 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
2008–12 @AUD $10–15 million 10 Years. WILLOW TV TIMES GROUP 19-02-2013 US WORLDWIDE NWIMSR. mobile . 2008–12. Global Rights to distribute on broadband.TELEVISION BROADCASTERS WINNING BIDDER REGIONAL BROADCAST RIGHTS TERMS OF DEAL SONY ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION / WORLD SPORTS GROUP NETWORK TEN SUPERSPORT ARAB DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION SETANTA SPORTS • GLOBAL RIGHTS. Pune 5 years. 8. 2008–2017 terms not released 10 Years. 2008–2017 at Rs. . INDIA 10 years.700 Crores AUSTRALIA SOUTH AFRICAN CONTINENT CRIC ONE [GULF REGION] UK [ITV4] 5 years. 2008–2017 terms not released 4 Years 2011–2014. terms not released. Terms not released.4 10 Years 2011-14.
• The twenty over format already existed. IPL brought the model of clubs as in the EPL and by deft packaging created a customer experience that was too tempting for the customer to resist. 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 11 .IPL: NEEDED CHANGE • IPL was able to judge that the large number of cricket fans no longer wanted to spend a whole day in front of the TV for an ODI match and not to forget five days for a test match.5 to 4 hours to a much larger entertainment deprived public. • The business was not one of selling twenty over cricket matches to cricket fans. rather it was selling an experience of 3.
Pune 12 .IPL: NEEDED CHANGE • 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Pune 13 .IPL: NEEDED CHANGE • 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
• Emotions ran high and the advertisers almost got a captive audience (of course.IPL: NEEDED CHANGE • The result was that families came together every evening to cheer for their favourite teams. at a very high price) since the excitement in a T20 format was too high for anyone to switch channels during over breaks. Pune 14 . 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
19-02-2013 NWIMSR. hoardings. IPL images in cell phones. • Hence consumers are bombarded with advertisements. Companies’ computers’ screensaver. through organizing various contests/events .IPL: THE ATTITUDE FORMATION • A penetration to consumer’s mind follows the Law of 29. in railway stations. . Airports. Pune 15 . which states that “on average a prospective customer will not purchase a good or service until they have been exposed to a marketing message 29 times”.
but as “cricketainment” or “MANO-RANJAN KA BAAP” • IPL brought in the new elements in cricket like cheer leaders.e. on field camera for the first time. Pune 16 .• The IPL caught the nerve of the Indians i. • The IPL was positioned not simply as cricket. • The team and brand loyalty were ensured by structuring teams around states. strategic break [TIMEOUT]. cricket and anything with cricket sells. • Auctioning the franchises • Auctioning the players participating in the IPL tournament 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
www. Online booking for all matches 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.com .com. Banner ads.iplt20. Official website . Pune 17 . Online fan club .• Used all social media channels – this helped strike the right chord with the youth who normally take the first steps to know more about any format and who tend to book tickets online.www.thecricfanclub.
• The Google partnership for online streaming of IPL on YouTube was one of his most significant attribute to reach at online community 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. • Even when the tournament moved to South Africa. Pune 18 . • Timing: IPL has shown its strategic application of intellect by choosing the evening time for the matches. the timings were not changed.IPL: MARKETING STRATEGIES • The concept of international and local stars competing against each other was a big draw. which made people watch game comfortably The tournament was held in April – during summer vacation to lure children The matches were scheduled in the evenings at 4:00 pm and at 7:00 pm.
IPL: MARKETING STRATEGIES 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 19 .
• Live auctioning of the players taking part in the IPL tournament was quite an attraction. Examples: IDEA (Oongli cricket) and Vodafone (Zoo-zoos) • Having the movie stars like Shah Rukh Khan. Preity Zinta and Shilpa Shetty as team owners provided lot of attraction. • Launched of many new and innovative campaigns by advertisers through IPL.IPL: MARKETING STRATEGIES • The selling of global theatre-screening rights of IPL for 10 years to Entertainment Sports screening of the semi-finals and final matches in 3D format. Pune 20 . • Packages such as Karbon Kamal catches and DLF maximum sixes assured the involvement of the sponsors in the event 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
5 hrs of playing time needed Inclusion of big names from corporate and entertainment industry Weakness Money can replace sportsmanship Can create internal rivalry between players Cricket has now become a business SWOT Opportunity Great opportunity for advertisers and sponsors Franchises have sound investment option 19-02-2013 Threats Domestic tournaments can take hit The league is quite long and thus may burnout players Integrity towards country Strategy leaked out 21 NWIMSR. Pune .IPL: MARKETING STRATEGIES • Strengths Based on T20 format Only 2.
one with PepsiCo worth $12. Pune 22 .5million. 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.300 Cr. and a deal with beer and airline conglomerate Kingfisher at $26.5 million • Boost for Advertising industry by IPL alone Rs.IPL: FINANCIAL PERSPECTIVE • India's biggest property developer DLF Group paid US$50 million to be the title sponsor of the tournament for 5 years from 2008 to 2012 • Other year sponsorship agreements include a deal with motorcycle maker Hero Honda worth $22.5-million.
6 billion.IPL: FINANCIAL PERSPECTIVE • The IPL is predicted to bring the BCCI income of approximately US$1. Pune 23 . over a period of five to ten years. – Revenues Distribution till 2017 • IPL= 40% • Franchisee= 54% • Prize Money= 6% • After 2017 – Revenues Distribution • IPL= 50% • Franchisee= 45% • Prize Money= 5% 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Pune 24 .IPL: FINANCIAL PERSPECTIVE • 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 25 .
Pune 26 .• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Cricket Lost • Missed rural population 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.IPL: THE GLOOMY SIDE • Though IPL till now has been a huge marketing success. which is clearly reflected in decreasing TV viewership and hence the TRP is the cause of concern. probably the marketing effort of IPL needed to be relooked. Even the spectators at the stadium have also been coming down year after year. So. • Entertainment left. Pune 27 . but slumping popularity of T20.
IPL required it for its sponsors and CCI required it for its members • Up to $11 billion was reportedly bet on games throughout the tournament. especially during season two 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 28 .IPL: THE GLOOMY SIDE [Controversies] • Conflict with England Cricket board and Cricket Australia • Inclusion of Pakistani players post 26/11 Mumbai attacks • Conflict with Cricket Club of India for usage of pavilion.
Pune 29 .19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Pune 30 .IPL: WILL IT SURVIVE ? • 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 31 .
• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 32 .
Pune 33 .• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Pune 34 .• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
Pune 35 .• 19-02-2013 NWIMSR.
19-02-2013 NWIMSR. Pune 36 .