This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Abscess is a localized collection of pus in tissues of the body. Accessible mean s easy to approach Accommodate is to do a kindness or a favor to; oblige. Accord ion is a musical instrument. Annulment is the declaration that annuls a marriage . Appellate is of or pertaining to appeals. Assassin is a murderer, especially i n politics. Atrium is the central room of an ancient Roman house. Automaton is a nother word for a robot. Baboon is a large monkey found in Africa or Arabia. Bal loon is an inflated bag. Barbiturate is used to medicine as a sedative. Barrette is a clasp used to hold a girl's hair in place. Bassoon is a large woodwind ins trument. Bazaar is a marketplace, especially in the Middle East. Beige is a very light brown. Benign is having a kindly disposition. Bizarre is markedly unusual . Bobbin is a reel upon which yarn or thread is wound. Bonsai is a tree that has been dwarfed, as by pruning. Bough is a branch of a tree. Bouillon is a clear u sually seasoned broth. Bouquet is a bunch of flowers. Bursar is a treasurer or b usiness officer. Butte is an isolated hill or mountain rising abruptly. Cache is a hiding place. Calendar is a table of days and weeks in a year. Camaraderie is good fellowship. Campaign is a military operation for a specific objective. Can vass is to solicit votes. Carafe is a wide-mouthed bottle used to serve beverage s. Caribou is a large, North American deer. Cataclysm is any violent upheaval. C aterpillar is the larva of a butterfly or moth. Cellist is a person who plays a cello. Cemetery is a place set apart for graves or tombs. Censor is an official who examines material to suppress all or part of it. Census is an official enume ration of the population. Chameleon is a lizard that can, as protection, change color. Charisma is a personal quality that gives one power over a group of peopl e. Chauffeur is a person employed to drive an automobile. Cliche is a trite, ste reotyped expression. Codeine is used as a sedative or analgesic. Colloquy is a c onversational exchange, dialogue. Colonel is an officer in the Army or Air Force . Conceit is an excessively favorable opinion of oneself. Concessionaire is some one to whom a concession has been granted. Conscious is being aware of one's own existence. Consensus is a majority of opinion. Consomme is a clear soup. Cough is to expel air through the lungs harshly, often violently. Counsel is advice. C oyote is a smaller, wolf-like animal. Crescent resembles a segment of a ring tap ering to points at the ends. Crochet is needlework with a needle having a hook a t one end. Croquet is a game played by knocking balls through metal wickets with a mallet. Crouton is a small piece of fried or toasted bread. Crypt is a subter ranean chamber or vault. Cuckoo is a common European bird. Cursor is a movable s ymbol on a computer. Cymbal is a concave plate that produces a sharp, ringing so und when struck, played in pairs.
106. Gherkin is the im mature fruit of a cucumber. 92. 8 6. D etached means not attached or separated. 82. 98. Finicky means difficult to please. Fei nt is a movement made to deceive an opponent. 74. Distraught means deeply agitated. Do ugh is flour or meal combined with water. 91. Enzyme is one of various proteins. Ecstasy is rapturous delight. Embarrass is to cause confusion and shame to. Debris is the remains of things broken down or destroyed. 93. Flourish means to thrive. 100. Eerie is uncanny. 63. 118. Fe asible is capable of being done. Gauge is to determine the capacity of or to measure. Deuce is a card having two spots. Exchequer is a treasury. 66. Farce is a light. humorous play. 73. 102. 88. 89. Diphtheria is an infectious disease. Drought is a period of dry weather . as in dancing. Eulogy is a speech in praise of a dead person. 122. 72. Dialogue is conversation with two or more people. Entrepreneur is a person who organizes or manages an enterprise. Gerund is a verb functioning as a noun.62. Exac erbate is to make something worse. Geisha is a Japanese woman trained as a singer or dancer. Discernible means capable of being distinguished. Facade is th e front of a building. 83. Flower is the blossom of a p lant. 78. Etiquette is conventional requirements to social behavior. Descender is the part of the letter that goes below the body. 109. Fledgling is a young bird or an inexperienc ed person. Fiery is containing fire or im petuous. 101. 108. Gambol meanS to skip about. Gerbil is a small. 94. Entourage is a group of attendants or as sociates. Defendant is a person against whom a charge is brought against i n court. 113. weird. 115. Faucet is a device to control the flow of liquid. 90. Freight is goods or cargo transported for pay. Galloping is running or moving quickly. Finesse is extreme delicacy or sk ill in performance. 114. 77. 80. 68. 121. 104. Feign is to represent fictitiously. Elite is th e choice or the best of anything. Frappe is a milkshake made wit h ice cream. 84. 97. Flaunt means to display oneself conspicuously. 67. Deceive is to mislead by a false appearance or statement. 99. 112. 119. 70. 107. 105. 85. 76. Fugue is a composition in music. Dictionary is a book co ntaining a selection of words or a language. Geys er is a hot spring that sends up jets of water and steam. 6 9. 87. 95. 110. 96. Furlough is a leave of absence granted to an enliste d person. Flour is the finely ground meal of grain. burrowing rodent. 64. 120. Deductible means capable of bein g deducted. . 117. 71. Disappea r is to cease to be seen. 81. 103. 75. Forbear is to refrain or abstain from. Fight is a battle or combat. Diocese is a district under the jurisdiction of a bishop. Floe is a sheet of floating ice. 116. 65. Foray is a quick raid. Ensign is a flag or banner. used in pickling. 79. Fatigue is weari ness from exertion. Flue is a passage for smoke in a chimney. Doubt is to be uncertain about. 111.
170. 150. Hassle is a disorderly dispute. 163. 183. Governor is the chief executive of a state. 158. Goad is a stick with a pointed end. 162. 154. 155. 138. 149. Horrendous is shockingly drea dful. Hide ous is horrible or frightful. from Africa. 125. Gnu or wildebeest is a stocky.123. a grave-robber. Guild is an organization of people with related inte rests. 161. 124. Gorilla is the largest of the anthropoid apes. He misphere is half of the terrestrial globe. Gypsum is a common mineral. thin. Height is the extent or distance upward. Homily is a sermon. 136. 152. Gorgeo us means splendid or magnificent. 137. 180. 129. Haran gue is a scolding or intense verbal attack. 171. 176. 126. Humongous mean s extraordinarily large. 174. 135. Harass is to disturb persistent ly. Hybr id is the offspring of two different breeds or species. 178. Harbinger is a herald. Honeycomb is a struc ture bees use to store honey. . 165. 144. Hyperbole is obvious exaggeration. Gruel is a light . Hindrance is an impeding or a stopping. 141. cooked cereal. Haggard is having a wasted appearance. 169. 160. Heresy is opinion at odds with t he accepted doctrine. Ill egible is hard to read or decipher because of poor handwriting. or one who goes before. 145. Hallow means to make holy .Grammar is the study of the way sentences are constructed. 168. Graffiti are ma rkings on walls. 164. Harlequin is a buff oon. 166. 142. 130. Giraffe is a long-necked Afric an animal. Honest is honorable on intentions and principles. pollen and eggs.Hangar is a shelter for airplanes.H odgepodge means a jumble.Hearken is to pay attention or listen to. Hypocrisy is pretending to something that one doesn't believe. 182. 151. 140. Havoc is great destruction or dev astation. Hygiene is the scie nce that deals with preservation of health. 133. Hallucinogen is a substance that produces hallucinations. esp church.Helix is a spiral. Gnarl is a knotty protuberance on a t ree. Grotesque is odd or unnatural in appearance or shape. 167. Hackney is a carriage or coach for hire. Gourmet is a connoisseur of fine food and drink. 131. Halve is t o divide into two equal parts. 153. Horizon is the line that for ms the apparent border between earth and sky. Hippopotamus is called the river horse. 175. 139. Hyphen is a short line used to con nect parts of compound word. Glow er is to look or stare at with anger. 159. 177. 146. image or other representation. Hustle is to proceed or work rapidly. 157.Hymn is a song in praise of God. usually on a Biblical topic. 179.Heifer is a cow over one year old that has not produced a ca lf. Hyacinth is a plant of the lily family. Hobnob is to associate on friendly terms. Humiliate is to cause a loss of pride or dignity. 127. 134. 128. Icon is a picture. 172. 147. Hoax is something inte nded to deceive or defraud.Glitch is a defect or malfunction in a plan or machine. ox-like antelope. 173. Hurrah is an exclamation of joy.Hearth is the floor of a fireplace.Hiatus is a break in the action. 181. 132. Ghoul is an evil demon. 143. 156. 148.
Impasse is a deadlock. 194. 185. Lacquer is a protec tive coating.Inevitable is somethin g that can't be avoided. 220. Island is land entirely surrounded by water. Indictment is a formal accusation in a crimina l case. 223. 219. 206 . 236. Judgmenta l is involving the use of judgment. 232. acute.184. 209. 189. 240. 238.Jeer is to scoff at someone. used in rel igious ceremonies to enhance a mood. 213. Influenza is a viral. Khaki means dull yellowish brown. the state of being innocent. . 239. Ladle is a long-handled utensil used for dipping. 226. Knight is a mounted soldier in the Middle Ages. Jinx is someone supposed to bring bad luck. Labo r is productive activity for the sake of economic gain. 237. Inflammable is capable of being set on fire. Imbecile is a person having a mental age of seven or eight. sluggishness. 193. 203. 228. 208. 210. 242. 199. Juice is the fluid that can be extracted from something. without regard for individual rights. to push or shove. Illiteracy is a lack of ability to r ead and write. 196. Katydid is a large. 200. 202. Journal is a daily record. 224. Karate is a method of self-defense. Junction is a plac e where things are joined. Kitchen is a room or place equipped for cooking . 214. Lamb i s a young sheep. 230. 235. 201. 225. 212. 217. Intravenous means within a vein. Innocence is without sin. 195. Impede is to retard in movement by means of obst acles. Incense is a substance producing sweet odor when burned. 231. Kiwi is a flightless bird of New Zealand. Kayak is an Eskimo canoe. 205. Invincible is incapable of being conquered or defeated. Incite is to stir. 229. 216. Illicit is not legally permitted. 233. Intercede is to act in behalf of someone in d ifficulty. Judicious is discreet or prudent. Kiln is an oven to fire pottery. Jeopardy is risk to loss. Knead is to work dough into a uniform mixture. 204. Knack is a special skill o r aptitude. 207. Jaundice is a yellow discoloration of the skin or eyes . 241. Jostle is to brush against. 234. 192. Janitor is a person employed t o keep things clean. Jackknife is a large pocketknife. Instinct is an inborn pattern of ac tivity or tendency to action. Italicize is to print in Italic type. or cleaning material. 211. 218. Inquisition is an official investigation. 227. encourage or urge on. Incognito is to ha ve one's identity concealed. Knuckle is a joint of the finger. 191. harm. Jealous is feeling resentment against someone because of success of advan tages. Jaguar is the largest cat in the western hemisphere . 188. dea th or injury. 222. as from study or investigation. 187. American grasshopper. 197. Issue is the act of sending out or putting forth. 186. abducted or carried off by force. Kidnapped means being stolen. Irritable is easily irritated or annoyed. Kettle is a metal container in which to cook foods. sometimes epidemic disease. 215. Jamb is a vertical side of a doorway. especially political or religious . 190. 198. Kerosene is a mixture of hydrocarbons used as fuel. 221. Inertia is lack of motion. Knowledge is acquaintance with facts. Innate is existing in one from birth. Incessant means continuing without int erruption.
258. Lucid means easily understood. Melancholy is a gloomy state of mind. 287. and called out periodically for drill. Marri age is the social institution under which a man and woman decide to live as husb and and wife by legal commitments. Martial is incline d or disposed to war. Loge in a theater is the front section of the lowest balcony. Language is a body of words common to a people. Mauve is a pale bluish purple. 281. 274. usually about 3 miles. Malign is to speak harmful u ntruths about. 244. 247. 263. caused by the bite of a mosquito. Mirth is am usement or laughter. Mayonnaise is a thick dressing of different ingredients. Lubricant is a substance for le ssening friction. Metaphor is a figure of spee ch in which a term is applied to something to which it isn't literally applicabl e. as in a mighty fortress is our god. 261. Massacre is the unnecessary killing of human beings. 282. Maintenance is the act of keeping things in good order. . 27 3. 277. Lectern is a stand with a slanted top. 253. as a tax. 267. Mechanica l is having to do with machinery. League is a unit of distance. 249. 270. Larceny is the wrongfu l taking and carrying away of the personal goods of another with the intent to c onvert them to the taker's own use. 283. Mahogany is a tree or a reddish-brown color. religious ceremonies. 290. 296. 271. Lightning is a brilliant electric spark disc harge. 294. Militia is a body of citizens enroll ed for military service. 264. Lyricist is a person who w rites the lyrics for a song. etc. 257. 254. Lecture is a speech read or delivered before an audience. 279. especially one driven by a chau ffeur. Limousine is a large. 275. Luminous is radiating or reflecting light. 284. 259. Malaria is a dis ease characterized by chills or fever.Leisure is freedom f rom the demands of work. 266. 245. 280. 292. 256. 298. 295. Margarine is a butter-like product made from refined vegetable oils. 255. by for ce or authority. Miscellaneous is of mixed character. 265. Maze is a confusing network of intercommunication pa ths or passages. Laud is to praise or extol. Malleable is capable of being shaped by hammering or pressur e. Maim is to cripple. 288. 289. 248.243. Libelous is maliciously defamatory. 297. 278. 269. Ma lice is the desire to inflict harm on someone. Machete is a large. 276. 250. 246. Macabre is gruesome and horrifying. Maroon is a dark brownish-red. 252. 251. Marina is a boat basin offering dockage a nd other service for small craft. luxurious car. Laugh is to express pleasure audibly. used to hold a speech or b ook. 286. Le gible is capable of being read or deciphered with ease. Manacle is a shackle for the hand. Martyr is a person who suffers death rather than give up religion. 291. hurt. Mediocre is of only ordinary or moderate quality. 268. handcuffs. Memoir is a record writ ten by a person based on personal observation. Leopard is a large. Liquor is a distilled or spiritous beverage. Lesion is an injury. 285. Length is the longest extent of something from end to end. 260. 262. wound. Lieutenant is a military rank. heavy knife used to cut u nderbrush or sugar cane. spotted cat of Asia or Africa. Mantel is a construct ion framing the opening of a fireplace. 272. completely understandable. as in a war. Meager is deficient in quantity or quality. Magnificent is making a splendid appearance or sho w. 293. Liaison is the contact maintained between groups to insure concerted action or cooperation. Macar oni is a small tubular pasta. Levy is an imposing or collecting.
Monarch is a hereditary sovereign. Nurture is to feed and protect. 325. Nicotine is an alkaloid found in tobacco and valued as a n insecticide.299. Moderator is a person who presides over a discussion. 312. but never converging. without a determin able basis of fact. 332. 333. 340. 301. 356. Miscue is a mistake. 318. 309. Operator is a pers on who runs a machine. Palate is the roof of the mouth. Obelisk is a tapering.Myriad is a very great or indefinitely great number. Obey is to follow the directions of someone. a bundle. 338. Nocturnal is o f or pertaining to the night. Paraffin is a substance used in candles or to waterproof paper. 355. Necessary is being essential. Muscle is a tissue. 330. 303. 322. 353. Mistletoe is a pl ant used in Christmas decorations. Miserable is very unhappy. especiall y when loathing food. 317. 302. es pecially to a high degree. 334. Outweigh is to exceed in value or influence. four-sided shaft of stone . 339. Obese means very fat or overweight. Oblivious means unaware of. especially in t he face of hardship. Monopoly is exclusive control of a commodity of service in a particular market. Ordinance is a decree or command. Palace is the official residence of an exalted person. Nasal is of or pertaining to the nose. 316. Oblique means slanting. covenant or compact. 321. 307. Paprika is a red.Pantry is a room in which food is kept. Mortgage is a conveyance of an interest in property as security for the repayment of money borrowed. 314. Moccasin is a heeless shoe made entirely of soft leather. Myth is a tradition al or legendary story. 351. 349. 35 4. Ogle is to look at impertinently. Orchestra is a group of performers on various musical instruments. with a pyramidal top. Odious is hateful or det estable. 300. Parcel is a smal l package. 3 28. 326. 337. Mon itor is a student appointed to assisted in the conduct of a class. melonlike fruit. 313. the contraction of which produces movement. 311. indispensable. Nestle is to l ie close and snug. Papaya i s a large. Parallel is extending in the same direction. 319. Modify is to alter partially. 310. 336. Mourn is to feel or express sorrow or grief. Nephew is a son of one's brother or sister. Mischievous is maliciously or playfully annoying. Opaque is not allowing light to pass through. powdery condiment. apparatus or the like. 346. 320. Novice is a person who is new to something. 342. 323. 329. which attracts insects or birds that pollinate the flower. 345. Naive means unsophisticated or ingenuous. Obituary i s the notice of the death of a person. 347. 324. Omission is the act of omit ting. usually concerning some being or hero. Nutritious is providing nourishment. 352. Mosquito is an insect that b ites. some passing on certain diseases. 304. Molasses is a thick syrup produce d during the refining of sugar. uneasy or uncomfortable. Nec tar is the secretion of a plant. 348. Mor ale is emotional or mental condition with respect to confidence. 335. Nausea is sickness at the stomach. to amend. Pageant is an elaborate public specta cle. yellow. Pact is an agreement. 350. 306. 3 43. Noble is distinguished by rank or title. 331. 308. 341. Orator is a public speaker. 327. 305 . sloping. 3 15. . Orch id is a flower of a plant of temperate and tropical regions. 344. Obvious is easily understood or recognizable.
414. Pedestrian is a person who goes on foot. Principal is first or highest in ra nk or importance. Perplex is to cause to be puzzled over what is not understood. 393. Patio is an area of a house used for out door lounging. Precinct i s a district marked out for governmental purposes. understanding or intuition. with various ingredients and toppings. Populace is the common people of a nation. 387. 368. 364. Plural pertains to more than one. Reactor is an appa ratus in which a nuclear chain-reaction can be obtained. Python is a big constricting snake. 394. 359. 415. 366. . Personnel is a body of persons employed in an organization or place or work. 362. 376. Pollute is to make foul or uncl ear. Recess is a temporary withdrawal from work or acti vity. Recite is to repeat words from memory. Piece is a separate or limited quantity of somethi ng. 401. 3 71. 389. 399. 379. 395. or ice cream and syrup. Pizza is a flat. agitate. 373. 358. Paws are the feet of an animal having claws. 413. Pedal is a foot-operated lever used for various things. Phantom is an apparition or specter. 374. P artial means incomplete. 406. 409. 396. Particle is a tine or very small bit. to own. Rapture is ecstatic joy or delight. dining. Peek is to look or glance quickly or furtively.Reduce is to bring down to a smaller a mount. 411. 398. Quash is to put down or suppress. Pickle is a cucumber that has been preserved in brine. 385. 392. Raise is to move to a higher position. Ramb le is to wander around in an aimless manner. Quartz is one of the most common minerals. Possess is to have as belonging to one.357. 386. Piccolo is a small flute sound ing an octave higher than an ordinary flute. Parfait is a dessert of ice cream and fruit. Rapport is relation or connect ion. Quirk is a peculiarity. 408. Perturb is to disturb in mind. 3 91. Pr ecious is of high price or great value. 367. 361. 384. 372. 407. Receive is to take somethin g into one's possession. Plague is an epidemic disease that causes high morality. etc. 380. Pla teau is a land area having a relatively level surface considerably raised above adjoining land. Phase is a stage in a proces s of change or development. 388. Posterior is situated behind or at the rear of. Ravine is a narrow. 382. 397. 405. 377. Recommend is to present a s worthy of confidence or acceptance. baked pie of Italian origin. Policy is a definite course of action. 378. 402. 416. Petite means short or diminut ive. Peddle is to car ry things from place to place for sale. 375. 381. or police protection. 369. Refrigerator is a container in which items are kept cool or cold. 370. Raccoon is an animal with a ma sk-like stripe across the eyes. 410. Pension is a fix ed amount other than a salary paid to a person. Poise is composure. 400. Razor is an instrument used for shaving. Potency is power or authority. 36 3. Precede is to go before. Racquetball is a game similar to handball. Plaque is a tablet or plate of metal. Phrase is a series of words in grammatical cons truction and acting as a unit in a sentence. Receipt is a writt en acknowledgment of having received something. 403. Perceive is to become aware of. 365. 390. 412. intended for use as an ornament. Perceptive is having or showing keenness of insight. but played with a racquet. 404. steep-sid ed valley. 360. Patienc e is the quality of being patient. Queer is strange or odd. 383.
Tease is to irritate or provoke. Reservoir is a place where water is collected or stored. Successor is a person or thing that succeeds or follows. 472.Stationary means standing stil l. 433. 438. 453. distress or anxiety. 447. Scholar is a learned person. Refugee is a person who flees his country in time of upheaval or war. Souvenir is a usually inexpensive reminder of a place visited. Teethe means to grow o r cut teeth. Sword is a weapon consisting of a blade and a hilt. 451. especially for fishi ng. Supervisor is a person who supervises the work done by others. 440. 466. 422. 419. 463. mends or alters clothing. Shield is a piece of armor worn on the arm of defensive purposes. Terrace is a raised level with a vertical or sloping front or sides. Sigh is to let out one 's breath audibly. Rumor is a story without confirmation or certainty as to facts.417. 456. Sight is the power or faculty of seeing. Review is going over a subject. Sincere is free of deceit or falseness. 450. Tale is a narrative that relates details or some event or incident. Tailor is a person who makes. 442. Suede is kid or other leather finished with a soft. 44 9. Soccer is football as it is played ar ound the world. Theme is a subject of discourse or discussion. 461. Tattle is to let out secrets. 458. Siege is the act of surrounding and attacking a fortified place in such a way as to isolate it from aid or supplies. 476. 448. Strength is the quality or state of being strong. Seize is to take hold of forcib ly. 443. Site is t he position or location of something. 459. Scissors is a cutting instrument. 425. nappy surface. Scent is a distinctive color. 460. 430. 428. 468. Tablespoonful is the amount a tablespoon can hold. Straig ht is without a bend or angle. 464. Sign is a token or indication. Sheer is transparently thin. . 441. 445. Rhyme is a word agreeing with another word in terminal sound. Scene is the place where some action or event occurs. 42 7. 424. Thaw is to pass from a fr ozen to a liquid state. Ritual is a prescri bed or established procedure. 473. 437. Spaghetti is a white. Source is anything from which something comes or arises. Tardy m eans late. Tabloid is a newspaper whose pages are about half the size of a standard-si zed newspaper. 420. 436. Tension is the act of stretching or straining. starchy pasta of Italian origin. 446. 462. 434. 435. Routine is a customary or usual procedure. Science is a branch of knowledge or st udy. 457. 469. 465. Tantrum is a violent demonstration of rage. Scheme is an underhand plot. Stature is the height of a human or animal body. 444. 421. Telescope is an instrument to make distant objects appear larg er. 475. 418. Sup erintendent is a person who oversees or directs some work. Shear is to cut something. Tackle is equipment. Rhythm i s movement with uniform recurrence of a beat or accent. apparatus or gear. 432. 474. Sheriff is the law-enforcement o fficer of a county. not moving. 467. 471. 470. Schedule is a plan of procedure. Sheph erd is a person who tends or guards sheep. 452. 431. 455. R esign is to give up an office or position. intrigu e. 439. Regular is usual or normal. 429. 426. 423. 454. not curved. Tattoo is an indelible markin g on the skin. Talk is to commun icate by speaking. Relieve is to ease or alleviate pain.
497. 496. Tight is firmly or closely fixed in place. 492. 484. Vanilla IS as in the flavor. a close relative of the frog. 498. Tissue IS as in tissue paper. . 488. Villain is a cruell y malicious person. Yolk is the yel low substance of an egg. 486.477. Typewriter is a machine to produce letters and characters on p aper. 487. 481. Weigh is to determine the force of gr avity on an object by using a scale. Unanswerable is not capable of being answered. Toboggan is a long. Yacht is a private cruising vessel. 494. Tricycle is a three-wheeled vehi cle for children. 491. Trample is to tread or stamp heavily. 480. Vacuum is a s pace entirely devoid of matter. 483. Tough means strong and durable. Warranty is assurance. 478. Tombstone is a marker on a tomb or grave. Unconscious means without awareness or cognition. 490. Toad is an amphibian. Toast is sliced bread that has been browned by heat. Weird is unearthly or uncanny. Ukulele is a small. flat -bottomed sled. 493. 482. 479. guitar-like instrument. Wield is to exercise power or authority. 495. narrow. 489. Thief is a person who steals. 499. 485.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.