You are on page 1of 3

Charles Dickens was regimented on February 7, 1812.

Charles Dickens was born the son of

John and Elizabeth Dickens. The father of Charles Dickens, John Dickens, was a clerk in the
Naval Pay Office. John Dickens was not the mind for fiances and in 1842 he was imprisoned for
debt. John Dickens was joined by his wife and kids in the prison of Marshalsea. Charles Dickens
was put to work at the Warren’s Blacking Factory. When the family was out of debt and ready to
respect the world financing they will be released from prison. The young Charles Dickens
already had a lot of pressure on him and was further put pressure on the decision of the mom’s
decision for him to further continue working at Warren’s Blacking Factory. However, the dad of
young Charles Dickens then was rescued, between the years of 1824 and 1827; Dickens entered
a school in London as a day child. At the age of fifteen, Charles Dickens found himself as a clerk
in an attorney’s office. Having a job at the Blacking Factory haunted him for the rest of his life,
he only shared this "black" secret with his wife and his nearest friend, John Forster, this dark
secret also was shown in two of his books David Copperfield and Great Expectations.
In the year of 1829, teenage, Charles Dickens became a free-lance reporter at Doctor's
Commons Court. One year later, in 1830, Charles Dickens emotional loved Maria Beadnell, a
banker's daughter. Another two years past and in 1832, Charles Dickens became very prosperous
in the career of a shorthand reporter for the House of Commoners and began to be a reporter for
a newspaper publisher. Another year went by, and in 1833, Charles Dickens and his back and
forth relationship between him and his lover, Maria Beadnell, was crashed by her parents.
Another year went by, in 1834, Charles Dickens, the reporter had took on a nickname “Boz.”
Charles Dickens’s father was arrested again for debt and it was mandatory for him to help him
out of debt. Later on, in his life both of his parents needed money and depended on him for it. A
year, later, in 1835 he met and engaged Catherine Hogarth.
In 1836, he wrote “Sketches” and used his nickname “Boz” for the first time on that book.
Dickens also was hired to write a series of short sport stories by Robert Seymour, a very popular
artist. Robert then killed and Dickens then was moved to being the author of the Pickwick
Papers, which then became a novel. The “Pickwick Papers” was a series of papers that came out
monthly and stopped November 1837. People were amazed on how well of a success the papers
were. Charles Dickens then married Catherine Hogarth on April 2, 1836. This was the same year
that he became editor of “Bentley’s Miscellany,” he published the second series of “The
Pickwick Papers,” and met his closest companion and first biographer, John Forster. After this
huge success, Dickens spent his career on being a novelist and making very exquisite and
complex book at very remarkable rates. Charles Dickens’s first noel was “Oliver Twist” and it
took him from 1837 to April 1839. In the year of 1837, Mary Hogarth, Catherine Hogarth’s
younger sister died, who Charles Dickens idolized.
“Nicholas Nickleby” another book by Charles Dickens took him from 1838 to October 1839.
In this same year he quit being the editor of “Bentley’s Miscellany.” Then books came out even
faster and faster, first came “Master Humphrey’s Clock” in 1840, then “The Old Curiosity
Shop” these two books took him until February 1841, then he wrote “Barnaby Rudge” which
took him until November of that same year. In 1842, he visited Canada and the United States
were he then got the permission to do international copyright. Charles Dickens’s “American
Notes” created an uproar of anger in America. When Charles Dickens wrote “American Notes”
he wrote a comment that was disgraceful to the American Society and this comment talked about
how the American were highly distasteful for chewing tobacco and spitting the juice that came
out of the tobacco this book was finished on October 1842. A book called “Martin Chuzzlewit,”
which also had very bad comments about America, this book took Dickens from 1843 to July
1844. “A Christmas Carol,” was one of the first big sellers that Dickens wrote about Christmas,
this book was published on December 1844.
The same year that the “Martin Chuzzlewit” was published, Dickens and his family were
touring Italy, they were mostly traveling overseas to visit Switzerland, Italy, and France. They
visited theses countries until 1847. Dickens then came back to London on December 1844. This
is when the book “The Chimes” was published. Dickens then went back to Italy, and did not
return to London until July 1845. The year of 1845, Charles Dickens also presented his theatrical
company. The Cricket and the Hearth, the third Christmas book he wrote which was published in
December of that year and his other book “Pictures from Italy” came out in 1846 in the
newspaper publication the “Daily News.” This newspaper publication was actually founded by
Dickens and for a short time he was the editor of this newspaper that he founded. In the year of
1847, Charles Dickens began his book “Dombey and Son,” in Switzerland, which took him until
April 1848. Also in December of that same year the book “Battle of Life” was published. In the
year of 1848, Dickens wrote an autobiographical section, directed and acted in plays, and
published his last Christmas book in December, “The Haunted Man.” He then saw the growth of
“David Copperfield,” which took him till November 1850. In that same year Dickens founded
and became the editor of the weekly series “Household Words,” which could have succeeded in
1859. The literature “All Year Round” Charles Dickens edited until his death. In 1851, Dickens
found himself working on “Bleak House,” which was a monthly series that appeared from 1852
until a year later in September.
In the year of 1853, he again toured Italy with his colleagues Augustus Egg and Wilkie
Collins, and when returned to England many public readings were held for his works. “Hard
Times” came out weekly in “Household Words” in 1854 and continued until August of that year.
Dickens’s family spent the summer in Boulogne. In 1855 they went to Paris in October, were
Dickens began “Little Dorrit” which then came out in monthly parts until July of 1857. In the
year of 1856, Dickens and Wilkie Collins worked together on a play called “The Frozen Deep,”
in that same year the purchased Gad’s Hill, an estate that he liked since he was a child. The
summer of 1857 his family stayed at Gad’s Hill. Charles Dickens admired the fair tales of Hans
Christian greatly and visited him as well. The play “The Frozen Deep” was performed to the
queen. A very young actress named Ellen Ternan joined the play and when she did Charles
Dickens fell in love with her. In the year of 1858, in London, Dickens took his first public
readings and these were payed and collaborated with the great novelist, Thackeray. In the same
year he separated from his wife.
In the year 1859, his readings still where in session and a new weekly series began. The
weekly series “A Tale of Two cities” opened. In 1863 his friend the great novelist died. After his
death a monthly series began in 1864 called “Our Mutual Friend” and ended in November 1865.
Dickens then fell into bad health due to overwork. In the year of 1865, an incident came upon
Dickens, disturbing him greatly; this incident was both a psychological and physical incident.
The incident was when Dickens and Ellen Ternan returned from a Paris holiday, a railway
accident injured a number of people including them. In 1866, there came another series of public
readings in England and Scotland. In 1867, they were undertaken. Dickens was not well and did
not listen to the doctor’s advice. The American Reading Tour then was made and continued until
1868. Dickens health became even worse and this sickness took over when he was editing “All
Year Round.” During the year of 1869, his readings still went on international until it all ended
with a big bang with the symptom of mild stroke showed in Dickens body. The readings were
cancelled and then began “The Mystery of Edwin Drood.” Dickens’s conclusion of readings took
place in London in 1870 and on June 8th at Gad’s Hill after working on “Edwin Drood,” he died
the following day. He was buried at Westminster Abbey on June 14th; 5 days after his death, and
an unfinished series called “Mystery of Edwin Drood” and appeared on September still