Procedures: To create a message that warns users when they login I edited the message of the day located

under /etc/motd. I then copied the message also to /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net for any telnet users and for it to appear above the login prompt.

After that was setup there was no need to install SSH sinceis comes with fedora by default. This was verified by checking for the existence of the service.

I also verified to make sure that the SSH key files were already created.

Now with SSH running I needed to add an iptablesfirewall entry telling it to pass through SSH. This was done with
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT

Next I had to do a wgetto install AVG. After AVG was installed I setup a new cronjob. I setup my new cronjob by starting a new text file named crontest.txt

I then added this file to the crontab by typing crontab crontest.txt. I then verified that it was part of the crontab by typing crontab-l. Then to ensure that all the logging was turned on I verified the file under /opt/grisoft/avg7/var/update/log/avg7upd.log file.

To change the number of mounts I entered the tune2fs -c 25 /dev/sda1. For the device to perform a disk check at next boot I entered tune2fs -C 26 /dev/sda1. I did not need to install locate since it comes with the fedora system. To set the locate database to update I added that cronjob to the previous text file I had made and verified the insertion with the crontab-l command. I had to find where the updatedbcommand was located to run it. This was found with the whereis updatedb. Next,I setup the machine with a static IP address for its eth0 interface. I copied and created my own text file with the ip information.

I then copied this file to overwrite the current DHCP settings with cp /home/student12/ifcfg-eth0.static2 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. After that I had to restart my network services with /etc/init.d/network restart. Finally this was verified with the ifconfig command.

After adding another hard drive to the machine I did a ls /dev/sd* to find the new drive device information, /dev/sdc. I created a primary partition with fdisk /dev/sdcand used the wizard like utility to create the partition. I then formatted the drive with makefs.ext3 /dev/sdc1. To create the mount point on the newly available drive I had to mount the drive temporarily with mount /dev/sdc /mnt. I then browsed to the new mnt point and created a folder with the mkdir /usershare command. In order for the new drive to be mounted at startup and create quotas I edited the /etc/fstab file. Then set the mount point and added groupquota and usrquota to the extra parametersection.

Now to enable quota for the groups I created the group quota file with touch /userhsare/aquota.group. I also did the same for /home/aquota.user. I reloaded the computer so the new drive parameters would take into effect and then entered quotacheck -vagumfto initialize the quota check. I then setup the group quotas with edquota –g<groupname> and with edquota–u <username> for each quota. I edited both soft and hard parameters.

I then used mkdir <groupname> to make a folder for each group under the /usersharemount point. After creating the directories I changed the group on each folder with the chgrp command (chgrp IS IS). Then set the sticky bit with chmod –R +t /usershare. To set the other permissions I used chmod 660 –R /usershare.

Learned: Once again the lab reminds me how customizable and picky linuxcan be. I liked this lab, includes a lot of material. I had a few issues with getting cronto accept the jobs. I kept messing up the timing convention. I also kept overwriting my cron jobs, I finally had to create a new text file with both jobs in it and then import the list into the crontab. The main issue I had was that my group permissions were not taking into effect on the new /usershareI had created. This was because I formatted the drive wrong. I did a makefs –t ext3 /dev/sdcinstead of a makefs.ext3 /dev/sdc1. Even though I did it wrong the first time it did not give me any errors and still let me create folders and files on the drive. After correcting this,my group quotas finally were able to take in effect. Besides the drive partition, overall the user permissions were one of the most annoying to setup and finally get the settings to where I had wanted them at. To help organize my thoughts I had to just write everything down and lay out how the user permissions were currently set and how I needed them to be. From there I could finally see what steps needed to be taken. Finally, the /etc/fstab file is a finicky thing. I would setup the file right, save it out, and test it with a reload and one of my other partitions would die on me. After that I went back into the fstabfile and a space would appear out of nowhere. I went back and forth changing the lines around and finally got the fstab file saved and loaded right. Other than that the lab wasn’t that bad.